Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2298 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2014, 22:09 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 21:48:
It just seems that they - along with Amazon, et al. aren't as aggressive on getting lower price points as fast as they used to.

A few of the games they've featured have actually been cheaper over at Amazon or elsewhere either recently or during the sale, too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2014, 12:53 PropheT

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:03:
Range is a problem, but for me the bigger problem would be that you can the throw the car away if you ever leave the battery unplugged during -10C for longer than 24 hours.

I'd never heard that before. That's...not a good deal for any cold weather state. It was cold enough here last year for long enough that the battery in my truck couldn't handle it and died, so if that's the case then I can't imagine prolonged cold would leave the car in good working order even if it was plugged in.

I'm a cheapass when it comes to cars, though, I could have a whole fleet of trucks like mine for what a Tesla would cost.

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
18. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 12:41 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:26:
I think you mean Hatred fills your whole body. You're sick and tired about SJW's and authoritarians telling you what you can or can't play.

I can't think of any time the SJW's have said what I can and can't play, they just say I'm a shitty person for supporting certain things. If I were to buy Hatred and support it, they'd probably have a pretty good point.

If they want to make their game, that's fine, but fuck their game and them... and I still don't understand why people think Steam needs to distribute it for them or it's some big free speech issue. They're free to make whatever they want, but there's two sides to that free speech coin; nobody else has to support them doing it if they don't want to.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 01:12 PropheT

Veterator wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 00:01:
A lot of things are simply too expensive to fix.

That's sadly the truth. I can fix practically anything I get my hands on provided I have the parts, but more often than not it's either not worth it or the parts aren't available.

The dishwasher was a good example, since I have a dead one right now that I could probably fix but can't get parts for (it's not that old, either). My furnace needed work at the beginning of winter, but I couldn't fix that because if I did the power company wouldn't service it anymore... I wound up fixing that one anyway since it was an electrical issue, and they would have just replaced everything.

I wonder how much of it is that a younger generation isn't able to fix things, or just can't because shit's not designed for it anymore or has so many warranty/legal hoops that you can't get parts or service done even if you did crack it open.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 29, 2014, 15:09 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 14:38:
It's more expensive to rent them forever. And even though they had a massive revenue stream last year, they poured all of that money back into the company (House of Cards don't come cheap). I think their profit margin was 1% last year. Not much room to play with there.

Yeah. The studios have made it harder for Netflix to maintain their streaming library and jacked prices for having the movies out there. Netflix has been bleeding worthwhile content for quite a while now, and rarely replaces any of it with movies anyone actually wants to watch... if it wasn't for the occasional TV series and a better documentary selection that Prime doesn't get, the selection is almost the same on both services these days and Prime gets you more.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 28, 2014, 11:18 PropheT

I look at using Settings as a plus, at least they aren't requiring you to use the Apple Store.  

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2014, 22:25 PropheT

Kind of strange, but the Steam summer sale had a better deal on Dead Rising 3 before it released than what it's on sale for right now as a deal of the day.  

News Comments > Eye Occilations and Framerate
10. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 26, 2014, 11:48 PropheT

Fion wrote on Dec 25, 2014, 23:01:
If the movie industry converted today there would be a lot of growing pains but 10 years later the first movie to come out at 24 fps again would look terrible to everyone.

If the content was shot at a higher rate and with better cameras to handle it I don't doubt it would help, but I think the biggest issue is that on a standard screen I don't see any reason to change or suffer those growing pains.
For VR headsets or 3D content the higher rate would actually make those technologies more natural and palatable, but for the regular big-screen movie experience... personally, I'd just say no thanks.

You can watch frame-interpolation sorta-60fps faux faster framerate video on almost any 3D TV already, and I'm not convinced that just improving the video quality would make that something I would prefer.

News Comments > Pardo: Olympics Should Include Esports [Updated]
18. Re: Blizzard: Olympics Should Include Esports Dec 24, 2014, 12:46 PropheT

When a developer starts talking about the e-sport potential of their game it's generally a surefire sign that I don't want anything to do with it or them.
I love hockey. I love to watch it, play it, pretty much everything about it. I like playing football, baseball, basketball, even golf.
I love video games, but I can't say that even for a second in all the years of playing them I've ever felt like there was any comparison, and I understand the appeal of watching e-sports about as much as watching someone else eat my dinner.

Maybe I'm just old, but I have no interest in there ever being an Olympic sport that you can get fatter while playing it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 23, 2014, 19:25 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2014, 16:57:
But Destiny seems to have been nowhere near worth the hype and attention it got (nor the review scores.) and yet the large majority of people who bought it did it because the advertisements seemed cool.

Which is sad, because it means the current status quo of "Produce mediocre game, hype the shit out of it to make it sell" won't even change.

I bought it because I had a good time with the beta thinger they did last summer.

It's a fun game. It's not perfect, but what is.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2014, 01:37 PropheT

harlock wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 22:21:
keep hearing good stuff about wolfenstein so i guess ima have to play it

It's worth picking up for sure. The gameplay is solid if still pretty standard stuff, but the story is engaging and well-told.

I just impulse bought it because I was bored and it was $25 on a Steam sale at the beginning of the summer, and it wound up being one of the best games I played this year.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2014, 16:02 PropheT

Julio wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 12:46:
Crackle is usable through various Sony products including TVs (probably because they own it I believe).

I've got it on my Panasonic TV I think, and it's on my Roku box for sure. The icon is there on my PS4, too, but I don't know if it's an ad or an install link.

I think I used it once a year or two ago...

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
30. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 20, 2014, 12:45 PropheT

I'd probably play a little of this every day if it had a single-player mode against bots or something. I like the game quite a bit, but I'm just not fond of Multiplayer-vs. shooters at all anymore.  

News Comments > Blizzard Exploring Gold for WoW Playtime Exchanges
4. Re: Blizzard Exploring Gold for WoW Playtime Exchanges Dec 18, 2014, 23:10 PropheT

"While we agree that this would be a good way for us to make more money, what we're mostly interested in is the money. We think we'll make a lot of it.

We look forward to ignoring any feedback you may have as we move to implement this feature."

With the expansion post-level cap leaving a bitter taste in my mouth and their forecast offering nothing of value about helping with that, them getting excited about new ways to kick the cash cow and make it moo just sort of irks me.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC
10. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC Dec 17, 2014, 13:00 PropheT

Mounts are worthwhile in the Hissing Wastes, at least as far as what most people seem to say, but I barely used mine there, either. The bog unicorn is an ugly decayed horse with a giant nail through its head, and the armored mount got dat big ole butt, so even if you did want to use one I doubt anyone would really miss the DE mounts anyway.

The weapons/armor are pretty useless, too. I replaced this armor before I ever left Haven, and it's pretty easy to have better schematics before the higher levels of it unlock as well if you do side quests and clear areas.

I can't see it being worth it for most people, but I guess it's nice that they offer it at least.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Auction Resumes
12. Re: Steam Holiday Auction Resumes Dec 13, 2014, 02:16 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 19:30:
I still don't see any benefit of exchanging items for gems....

Me either. I haven't really done anything with the six pages of cards I've built up playing games since it became a thing, and if I sold every card I had for gems I'd have about 3200 gems or so.

Since Borderlands the Pre-Sequel is going for 68,000 gems right now, 1000 gems would be worth about $1.15 to make that an even deal to buy the game at $59...but the cards I have would sell for about $7-8 if I just sold them all individually, meaning I'd make twice as much toward buying that game normally if I just sold the cards like I can any day of the week rather than converting them to gems for the auction.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 12:18 PropheT

panbient wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 09:31:
InBlack wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 09:22:
First it was the music industry and channeling Satan through hard rock and heavy metal, now its this shit....

Just wait until they figure out how to play video games in reverse!

This asshole plumber locks a princess in a castle with a big Koopa monster, and then proceeds to place traps like spiked turtles all through a maze of jumping puzzles to keep people from getting her out.

Misogynist!

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released
11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released Dec 11, 2014, 00:36 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 23:16:
You save "good guy" Revan from the Emperor...than he finds out there is a cult based on him and he shuns it....than he decides they are useful and uses them to build an army because neither the Sith Empire or Galactic Republic are worthy of ruling and goes all "I am not Jedi or Sith, I am just better than all of youm MUAHAHAHAHAHA"...and than you play this expansion.

Obviously it's not quite like that but I figured you would want the short and easy version.

Oh.

Well, shit.

Thanks for the information, though

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
65. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 00:24 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:59:
Appreciate the link but I don't feel like risking a character on their barely tested bullshit. Letting some time pass before applying the update, hotfix or not.

It's just a shader issue, it didn't change anything about your characters or alter saves.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 21:26:
Allow me to sincerely thank the early adopters... I'm looking forward to getting this in a year or so, at this rate.

If you aren't willing to deal with an issue here or there or entering a command line switch now and then I really have no idea how you'd ever be happy with anything, even on a console these days. Being an early adopter doesn't really even mean anything considering most companies out there never fix the issues their games launch with in the first place. Half the games you get on the Steam sales anymore are just paid beta early-access stuff anyway.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 9, 2014, 20:09 PropheT

ISP's add 4k video streaming to list of benefits starting in 2035.  

2298 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo