Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2276 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
73. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 20:14 PropheT

peteham wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 19:18:
Does Inquisition have enough of a progression curve and enemy variety to keep things interesting throughout on hard, or is it better to just melt face?

Also, how's the exploration aspect of it? Is it anything like Skyrim where you see something cool-looking on the horizon and decide to go there and check it out, or it it more in the Ubisoft style where you just follow a bread crumb path of map markers everywhere?

The difficulty is a little off, at least on normal, because you start out fighting things slightly above your level pretty often and eventually progress to being a bit too high for most of what you do...assuming you're an explorer, or a bit of a completionist with the zones you visit. If you focus on the story first, your level should be about right and the challenge would be greater. The game opens up and allows you to just go and do what you want fairly early, which is both good and bad for the difficulty curve depending on how you play.

As for exploration, it's one of the best RPG's out there for that. It does have markers on the map, but nothing that ties you to using them as progression markers. They aren't boundaries at all, and it's pretty rare that I find myself heading directly for anything marked rather than just wandering and dealing with whichever quest I happen across first. Even when you're just starting out there's absolutely nothing that says you need to go to X and complete that quest before you can proceed to Y... you're just tossed in the pool.

It sort of supports both play styles in a way, but I've never really focused on the map while playing and just tend to walk toward whatever looks interesting as I go. It doesn't feel as guided or leashed as most modern RPG's do.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

62. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 16:44 PropheT

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 14:41:
I just did the stuff I found enjoyable and ignored the tedious stuff as much as I could, there was a lot of it though.

Dragon's Dogma was the shit, still no sign of Deep Down or a Dragons Dogma 2 unfortunately.

That's probably the best way to do it. I actually think a completionist might want to just finish the game first, and then go back and do a second to do everything later since there's so much to do that it slows the main narrative considerably.

Capcom registered Dragon's Dogma 2 Online in the EU recently and teased that they were going to tease something. Not sure how I feel about that, since DD is one of my favorite games ever but I don't think I'd ever want it to be an online sort of game... either way, there should be an announcement from Capcom really soon here and it sounded like a sequel was possibly it.

51. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 14:24 PropheT

Verno wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 14:05:
Most of the other zones have the same sort of stuff, just in less volume. Find a note here, go drop off this thing or kill this guy. Collect some shards, find the astrariums, the Inquisition needs its main leader to pick more plants etc etc. I've done basically every zone in the game and while some are more interesting than others, they all share a lot of filler content. You can ignore some of it but if you want to get into crafting at all then you'll be doing a lot of collecting.

Unlike MMO's where you're required to do those things to progress or level, you really don't have to do them for those reasons in Inquisition at all. I find that I like those sorts of thing because they're objectives to be completed as I explore, rather than seeking out and completing fetch quests when I get to an area like it's a themepark design.

I complete pretty much all of them without ever actively seeking them out, so they don't get to me like a WoW-style NPC with an exclamation point over their head where you can't continue until you've done everything in a linear fashion.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
40. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 7, 2014, 15:40 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 12:01:
If DA:I is as good or even better than Mordor I'll be very satisfied. Going through Mordor now, what a wonderfully produced game with what I feel is the best combat/action game in a RPG I've played yet.

Where is best tactical game? I played several very good one's this past 12. They'd fine the largest production one and give the award to it, but there were so many it should be a category.

I went back to grab Mordor when it was on sale last week after all the recommendations and praise here, and Amazon was sold out of keys. I really wish I'd just grabbed it when I first saw it :/

Tactical games kind of made a resurgence this year, between Divinity and Wasteland 2 and Endless Legend and so on. There was enough of them that it really deserves a category of its own... even Pokemon keeps refining its game, so it's not strictly a PC-space.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
25. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 7, 2014, 03:55 PropheT

Warskull wrote on Dec 7, 2014, 03:29:
Dragon Age: Inquisition just shows the people selecting the awards were clearly not qualified. Dragon Age was the best megapublisher game of the year. Between EA, Square-Enix, Ubisoft, and Activision it was the best. However it was still only above average. It was the easy familiar pick for people who had no real knowledge of gaming. They clearly didn't play Bayonetta 2 or Dark Souls 2. Really DA:I was the least worthy of the award from the nominees.

I'm just going to politely disagree. The idea that it fell short of the hype is ridiculous when every gaming forum I read prior to its release was just a tirade about how terrible Bioware was now, and how Inquisition was going to be crap.

Inquisition is one of the best RPG's ever made in my opinion, and nothing else I've ever played has ever come close in size and scope to what they built there. The game has more content than a lot of MMO's launch with, it's crazy.

As far as the others, I haven't played Bayonetta 2... but Dark Souls 2 was one of the most disappointing games I played this year. I loved the first two in the series, and I actually regret buying DS2.

News Comments > Game Reviews
30. Re: Game Reviews Dec 2, 2014, 18:01 PropheT

The melee facing issues drove me nuts getting started with my warrior since I was tanking, but over time you sort of get used to it. The issue stemmed from the "Move Backward" key not actually moving you backward like, say, World of Warcraft, but rather turning you to run forward to the camera instead. The target lock works but seems kind of wonky when you rarely use tactical view.

I eventually restarted as a mage because I wanted to be able to hang out with companions other than the mages offered (Solus is ok, Dorian is ok but not my kind of character, and Vivienne is a Tyrannobitch as often as not). Usually I'm tromping around with Cassandra, Blackwall, and Varric... I really like Blackwall, but I guess I see why some people wouldn't. There's a lot more to him than there seems to be at first.

Sera, on the other hand, can take a flying leap off Skyhold and I wouldn't shed a tear.

I'm as many hours into Inquisition on my mage as it took to beat any of the Mass Effect games, and I'm barely past actually becoming the Inquisitor. I don't really want to post impressions since I knew I'd love the game going into it, but it's nice to have a game actually turn out to be better than you got hyped up for.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2014, 19:52 PropheT

nin wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 14:07:
Kinda liked the fact they didn't lean on established characters right off the bat.

Me too.

Unless you consider the Millennium Falcon to be an established character, because that part was awesome.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 28, 2014, 14:07 PropheT

I'm kind of tempted to pick up Shadows of Mordor since it's only $20 there...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2014, 12:15 PropheT

ldonyo wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 11:29:
Also, contacting Dragon Age servers was an issue throughout this past weekend, at least for me. Hopefully, for EA's sake, this is not the beginning of another SimCity-esque server meltdown.

It's not. They were getting nailed by DDoS attacks over the weekend again by the same jackasses who have decided recently that the best way to punish game companies (for whatever reason) is to make it so regular folks can't sit down and play their games in their time off.

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
16. Re: Alienware's Nov 21, 2014, 20:23 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 19:54:
If you want a console just buy a damn console. PCs are supposed to be open platforms that give users flexibility. Why would you want to totally undermine the unique features of the form?

What are you going on about? You can do whatever you want to this machine, you own it and it's running Windows.

You can't upgrade or replace the most integral parts to any gaming machine in this box. You definitely can't do whatever you want to it.

You make sacrifices when buying a system like this and Redmark's argument that those sacrifices aren't worth it is a fair one. It's the same argument (and complaint) that a lot of people raised about Steam machines, and look where those are.

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations
13. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations Nov 21, 2014, 14:00 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:44:
Most of the people I know who do it are single (or have very understanding spouses).

Or play with them, which is pretty common.

My wife plays, but because of her job rarely has free time that she wants to use to log on during the week; most of my game time comes from insomnia and being up five or six more hours a day than she is.

I don't think WoW is any more time intensive these days than Netflix. You can binge forever and get everything you want at once, but you definitely don't have to just to get some enjoyment out of it. As long as you're not concerned with being a top raider or decked out in the best of everything, anyway.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2014, 10:34 PropheT

Happy Birthday Blue  

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
18. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 21:58 PropheT

Endo wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 21:35:
Assuming your context is MMORPGs, I actually believe you. But that's not so much a statement of WoW being good these days, as everything just being bad.

I totally understand if you don't like it, and that's fine, but I don't see how you can argue with the fact that bad games don't keep bringing in people going on 10 years from their original release date. They just don't.

Hell, just the fact that it's still the game to compete with in its genre despite its age is something unprecedented in gaming. It's not like nobody has tried... with as many other options out there now, and not all of them bad, I'd have never guessed that they'd pass 10 million again or even come close to it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2014, 13:30 PropheT

siapnar wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 12:04:
Can't gamestop get in some pretty serious trouble if their staff sells to minors?

No. It's not actually illegal to sell M-rated games to minors (or Parental Advisory music, or access to R-rated movies).

The employees can, because it's against the business policies for them to do so, but Gamestop isn't getting in any trouble for it because there's no laws that prevent it (assuming you're in the U.S.)

News Comments > Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime
6. Re: Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime Nov 19, 2014, 13:24 PropheT

Endo wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 01:39:
But any number of things can cause queue times, and judging from the blurb here, it sounds like they had to cut server capacity, which is going to cause queue times regardless.

Not having played this in years, I also don't know how many servers they still have up for NA, but I'm guessing they closed a bunch, given that I know a large portion of the 7+mil active players are over in Asia, as opposed to WoW's prime when it had around 10mil active players before it even launched in Asia.

So I'm guessing it has probably around a mil or less active players in NA. Still a lot compared to other games, but nothing compared to how it used to be. Also explains why I never hear anyone IRL talk about the game any more, where a few years ago I heard total non-gamers talking about WoW stuff.

There haven't been any server closures. They've established cross-realm zoning so that in lower population areas and situations you will see people from other servers to fill out that capacity if necessary.

I had an hour and a half queue one night on my server, which is usually a medium population server on any given day. A woman my wife works with is on Illidan, and their server queues are well past insane -- given that information, it's fairly obvious that queue times are directly correlated to influx of people.

Your guessed numbers are wrong. There was 1.5 million preorders of the expansion here, and of the 7.4 million current subscribers about 3 million are in the west.

As for the talent calculator and current content, I think you might be surprised. The game's better than it was during TBC. The players required cookie cutter specs from each other in the past, so they got rid of it and streamlined it... as much as some people complain about it (people who haven't played with the newer system, mostly), it was the demands of the player base that necessitated the change.

The game's not perfect by any means, but there's a reason why it's still on top after 10 years. If you're the kind of person that gets pissed at "the devs" it's probably better to just avoid it, but if you enjoyed the game and just want a good time it's still the best of the bunch in this genre.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2014, 00:12 PropheT

jimnms wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 23:21:
Do you really thing things will change?
A roll call of votes shows that 41 of the 42 votes against the bill were cast by Republicans, with only four senators from that party voting to move the bill forward.

I'm not sure why people don't get this. People voted to make things worse, not better -- the biggest change is just going from an obstructionist congress to a lame duck congress, and it was mostly the moderates that were voted out.

And to top it off, a lot of people frustrated with how things are voted against their own best interests in an effort to effect change.

News Comments > Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime
3. Re: Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime Nov 18, 2014, 23:57 PropheT

Endo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:54:
Judging from the number of comments here, you can tell lots of people still play this and give a shit.

Lots of people do still play this...that's why they're talking about the queue times. There's at least a handful of people here who still play.

Between this and Inquisition I'm pretty happy right now.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 11:29 PropheT

I haven't been wow'd by the first introduction to a game like this one in a long time. There was a definite holy shit moment starting it up, I didn't expect it to look that good... although, I have a 3770k with a GTX 780 and have found myself having to tweak the graphics a bit since the automatic detected Ultra was only getting ~30 with some annoying dips.

And then I spent the next 2+ hours restarting and playing with the character creator and haven't really played yet

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
3. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 11:25 PropheT

64-bit seems to be out there now (at least for 8.1).  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 03:14 PropheT

dubfanatic wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 00:18:
I hereby announce the winner of the dubfanatic award for really cool people 2014. This year's award goes to Boutrous Boutrous-Ghali.

That name wins Most Fun Name To Say On Earth hands down. I've always loved that one.

I'm also kind of partial to Goodluck Jonathan, it kind of makes me laugh every time I hear it on the radio.

2276 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo