Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2133 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Aug 21, 2012, 14:35 PropheT

deqer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:52:
Did we ask for another Counter-strike? Nope. I think people are still enjoying the other one. And why change that now with a new CS? Why change everything these players have been learning and getting a feeling for. because you need to make more money? Welp, that's not our problem. So, don't make it our problem by shoving another CS product down our throats.

Because CS:S has a load of problems that were never and would never be fixed...which was exactly why the population was segmented in the first place, since people wouldn't migrate to Source when 1.6 played better.

They seem to have fixed that with GO. You aren't going to have to get a feel for it if you've already been playing CounterSrike in some form; it's so familiar that there's literally no adjustment time at all.

The hitboxes work. It looks great, without being overly taxing. It plays perfectly, in the way that Source was always meant to but never did. The maps are perfect upgrades of the old versions, with a few new twists thrown in that (in my opinion at least) makes them better.

Basically for $15 it's the game that CS:S was supposed to be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2012, 20:55 PropheT

I've found that I actually like the HFC sodas better, with the exception of Coke. Our local grocery store always has glass bottle sodas available, the real sugar types, for a handful of both Pepsi and Coke flavors...not sure if it's because there's bottlers near here or what it is, but can't complain.

News Comments > Diablo Creator on Diablo III
18. Re: Diablo Creator on Diablo III Aug 19, 2012, 20:47 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 14:45:
Building the game around the auction house was a bad idea. The earlier games were built around loot. In this game the loot you really want is in the auction house. The stuff you get in the game is largely trash that you need to turn into gold then go buy what you'd hope to see dropped in your game.

It's no fun to stop playing the game all the time to go browse the auction house for hours. And the whole multi day auction ala ebay...that is just laughably stupid.

That's probably the biggest problem but it's not the only one. I haven't touched Diablo 3 in months mostly because the random levels aren't, and the story in the game is so ridiculously bad that I have no interest in revisiting it (repeatedly) to play through all the difficulty levels. For a game that's intended to play all the way through multiple times right from the get-go, I just never felt compelled to replay it once normal was done.

The loot and auction house is terrible and I hate that probably most of all, but the game has a lot more wrong with it than just that issue, to the point where I'm not sure I'd bother going back to it again even if they corrected that somehow.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2012, 12:20 PropheT

Prez wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 11:59:
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought it would be a mode that would help gamer nerds attract girlfriends.

Every game has that, it's just unfortunately enabled by turning the game off

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic
16. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Aug 16, 2012, 18:19 PropheT

Jonny wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 13:43:
There's no point bothering. It's been "lol Kungfu Pandas!!!" for the last year regardless of how monumentally boring that's got. Inevitably someone will escalate to "Pandas? lol WoW kids stuff now!1!! I r too manly and just too fuckin' cool for Pandas!!"

Well, since you seem to be more or less replying to me with that, take a step back and look at what they have here. People have indeed been "lol Kungfu Pandas!!!" for the last year.

And then, with no attempt at dissuading that, Blizzard approaches that by releasing this Kung Fu Panda trailer.

They had a chance to do something that woos people back to the game and reminds everyone that this is World of Warcraft, with epic battles and For the Horde! and the perseverance of the Alliance in the face of these evils, and instead... you get reinforcement of the Kung Fu Panda meme.

Maybe it's just me, but I left after Cataclysm and this does absolutely nothing that suggests to me that they care if I come back. That's disappointing.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic
7. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Aug 16, 2012, 12:45 PropheT

I'm a little stunned. Instead of coming out at critics calling this the Kung Fu Panda expansion, they full-on embraced it as kung fu panda.
I'd probably be excited if I was 8.

I'd sort of been considering going back to see it and level one more character again, if they showed that it was something more than "the kung fu panda expansion", and instead they go with a trailer that says that's exactly what it is. It seems impossibly arrogant, in a way; a few years ago the challenge that everyone was going to play it anyway was probably true but now I'm not so sure.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Tomorrow
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Tomorrow Aug 14, 2012, 22:33 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 22:11:
Turglar wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 21:54:
Cool so I only have to pay full box price to stress test their servers. Where do I sign up?

Maybe if you took your head out of your ass, you'd be able to think more clearly about the thousands of people who pre-purchased already in order to play early during beta weekend events. Many of them are more than happy to have these stress tests (of which there have been many, about one per week) as an excuse to play for a few more hours before the release date finally comes.

I'm still trying to figure out the part where any of that invalidates the point he was making.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Why hacked Blizzard passwords arenít as hard to crack as company says. Aug 14, 2012, 02:29 PropheT

Considering how many people have had their accounts hacked since Diablo 3 went live, it's easy to believe that this has been going on for a lot longer than last Thursday.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch
10. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 02:21 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 21:49:
And anything that's designed to work well on tablets and PC and Android and Ouya and your mom's washing machine and your pocket watch just doesn't fill me with much confidence that it'll be a great PC experience. I mean, seriously? Ouya? Maybe you can plan to port it to the Phantom while you're at it?

That's what made me leery of it as well. Something about this one seems like promising a full MMO-kind of game but delivering an iPhone quickie. Some people really like that stuff, but I don't see the depth and gameplay to make it worth throwing in as much money as I would for a AAA boxed game.

Then again, that same issue could probably be considered for most of the Kickstarter game projects I've seen so far. After contributing to a couple I came to the conclusion that it feels too much like pre-purchasing a game I'm not even sure I'm going to want when it finally comes out.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 10, 2012, 22:52 PropheT

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:23:
Funny, I've never seen, heard of, or even been a part of a game or gaming community that even asked the sexuality of the players, much less targeted gamers based on their sexual preference.

So, you've never played an online game before, ever? Because I have no idea how you wouldn't have seen everything from anti-gay to anti-semitism with a whole lot of racism smacked in the middle for a big ole' rednecky hate speech sandwich otherwise.

Online Games: A Free Fire Zone for Hate Speech?
Hate Speech Corrodes Online Games
NSFW: New Research Looks at Hate Speech on Xbox Live

Just in case the whole "it doesn't happen" argument actually still seemed valid to anyone at all, there's a few links that were remarkably easy to find. I have a hard time believing that any gamer looking at this objectively would have trouble understanding where the people behind GaymerCon are coming from with this.

News Comments > Irrational Departures
1. Re: Irrational Departures Aug 8, 2012, 20:38 PropheT

I think it just means that Kotaku wants to generate more hits.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:53 PropheT

We have a Five Guys here, but I wasn't too impressed with them I guess. We have two local mom & pop places that have better burgers, and the fries at one of them would be interchangeable with Five Guys'. I've heard that they're better elsewhere, though, so I think it's just this one store for whatever reason.

Best I've had is at a bar in the podunk little town where I went to high school. Was over visiting a friend there and we went in, and they had the most badass burger I've ever had...don't even know the name of the place :p

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
34. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:24 PropheT

Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:59:
Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!

THIS JUST IN: Video game companies make games to sell them, film at 11.

Now over to Frank for the weather.

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
15. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 15:14 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:33:
The original PC release was bug filled? Really? I must have played it oh I dunno 40 or 50 times and never came across a bug, outside of the same bugs that existed on the PS platform.

I played through it on PC a few times back around when it came out and never had a problem, either. Never heard about it being buggy before.

News Comments > Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week
14. Re: Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week Aug 5, 2012, 23:33 PropheT

wtf_man wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:09:
Only now with GW2 do we have an MMO that encourages cooperation without forced grouping... and it's been what? 13 or 14 years since EQ came out.

Warhammer did that with public quests years ago and Rift does it with zone invasions and open grouping for events. That sure as hell isn't something revolutionary that they came up with for GW2. Honestly, even the implementation of it has been done better elsewhere.

Vanguard had some revolutionary designs in its gameplay that weren't copied until well after it went live, as far as I know. Defensive target mechanics were something I'd never seen prior to Vanguard, for example, and I still don't know why that hadn't been implemented into WoW since it was always flat out better than focus targeting.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 2, 2012, 23:13 PropheT

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:37:
Carmack has always been about raising the bar and allowing people to create what they will with what he's done.

Make fun of the game all you like, the "code" he throws out there is second to none.

Id Studio was supposed to ship with the game, but it didn't and as far as I know still isn't available...which probably isn't as big of a problem as that not enough people were even looking for it for me to find any real news on it anywhere after some Googling.

Both of those are pretty disappointing and make it hard to agree with you at this point. Years ago, sure, but not now.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2012, 20:09 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:42:
His article isn't a thesis, it's a mild rant describing what he likes in games and everyone else should too. Complete tripe.

I don't know, it's a pretty good point. Simple things like enemy identification between Battlefield and Call of Duty are drastically different because of the detail levels involved. Regardless of which game's gameplay you prefer, I think it'd be tough to deny that the level of detail in Battlefield 3 can often be as tough to overcome as the enemies you're fighting, a problem I never really saw in CoD. BF3 always struck me as having too much detail to be really enjoyable, even though it sure looked pretty damn cool.

Or TF2, for a stark example. TF2 is just straight up shooter with nothing gaudy or unnecessary between you and any rampant face shooting you choose to partake in.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Amazon Instant Video App Aug 2, 2012, 15:57 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:03:
Awesome. I love renting videos from Amazon and I've got prime so I occasionally go find something to watch on that as well. Canceled netflix recently because it was becoming too hard to find anything I wanted to watch.

I agree. I like Amazon a lot; I tend to buy season passes for shows I really like, get them the day after they air in HD with no commercials. It's not as good as free, but it's in my library to watch whenever I want and on whatever I want.

Netflix is getting frustrating with their lack of anything worth watching on streaming anymore. I know that's not entirely their fault with studios and everyone else pushing against them, but there's little reason to really maintain the service anymore. The old shitty stuff they have for TV shows are all on Amazon, too, and a Prime account is useful even if you never use the streaming.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2012, 11:48 PropheT

I worked at a Mexican/Southwestern restaurant when I was younger, and we made a ton of tortilla bowls every day since it was probably our most popular thing on the menu. Our special tool was the can that the refried beans came in  

News Comments > The Political Machine 2012 Released
5. Re: The Political Machine 2012 Released Aug 1, 2012, 02:12 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 21:56:
You know, I love politics, and I love games, but the idea of a game based on politics is just so unappealing? Is it just me? Maybe I feel this way because games are fantasy and politics is reality?

They have enough fantasy to them that they're pretty fun games if you have any interest in the process itself. You really don't ever worry about the real issues outside of the context of the game; no agendas or stress involved.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I liked the older ones even if they're not exactly brimming with longevity and depth.

2133 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo