Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2102 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:53 PropheT

We have a Five Guys here, but I wasn't too impressed with them I guess. We have two local mom & pop places that have better burgers, and the fries at one of them would be interchangeable with Five Guys'. I've heard that they're better elsewhere, though, so I think it's just this one store for whatever reason.

Best I've had is at a bar in the podunk little town where I went to high school. Was over visiting a friend there and we went in, and they had the most badass burger I've ever had...don't even know the name of the place :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Standalone DayZ Coming
34. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:24 PropheT

Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:59:
Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!

THIS JUST IN: Video game companies make games to sell them, film at 11.

Now over to Frank for the weather.

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
15. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 15:14 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:33:
The original PC release was bug filled? Really? I must have played it oh I dunno 40 or 50 times and never came across a bug, outside of the same bugs that existed on the PS platform.

I played through it on PC a few times back around when it came out and never had a problem, either. Never heard about it being buggy before.

News Comments > Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week
14. Re: Vanguard Goes F2P Next Week Aug 5, 2012, 23:33 PropheT

wtf_man wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:09:
Only now with GW2 do we have an MMO that encourages cooperation without forced grouping... and it's been what? 13 or 14 years since EQ came out.

Warhammer did that with public quests years ago and Rift does it with zone invasions and open grouping for events. That sure as hell isn't something revolutionary that they came up with for GW2. Honestly, even the implementation of it has been done better elsewhere.

Vanguard had some revolutionary designs in its gameplay that weren't copied until well after it went live, as far as I know. Defensive target mechanics were something I'd never seen prior to Vanguard, for example, and I still don't know why that hadn't been implemented into WoW since it was always flat out better than focus targeting.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 2, 2012, 23:13 PropheT

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:37:
Carmack has always been about raising the bar and allowing people to create what they will with what he's done.

Make fun of the game all you like, the "code" he throws out there is second to none.

Id Studio was supposed to ship with the game, but it didn't and as far as I know still isn't available...which probably isn't as big of a problem as that not enough people were even looking for it for me to find any real news on it anywhere after some Googling.

Both of those are pretty disappointing and make it hard to agree with you at this point. Years ago, sure, but not now.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2012, 20:09 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:42:
His article isn't a thesis, it's a mild rant describing what he likes in games and everyone else should too. Complete tripe.

I don't know, it's a pretty good point. Simple things like enemy identification between Battlefield and Call of Duty are drastically different because of the detail levels involved. Regardless of which game's gameplay you prefer, I think it'd be tough to deny that the level of detail in Battlefield 3 can often be as tough to overcome as the enemies you're fighting, a problem I never really saw in CoD. BF3 always struck me as having too much detail to be really enjoyable, even though it sure looked pretty damn cool.

Or TF2, for a stark example. TF2 is just straight up shooter with nothing gaudy or unnecessary between you and any rampant face shooting you choose to partake in.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Amazon Instant Video App Aug 2, 2012, 15:57 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:03:
Awesome. I love renting videos from Amazon and I've got prime so I occasionally go find something to watch on that as well. Canceled netflix recently because it was becoming too hard to find anything I wanted to watch.

I agree. I like Amazon a lot; I tend to buy season passes for shows I really like, get them the day after they air in HD with no commercials. It's not as good as free, but it's in my library to watch whenever I want and on whatever I want.

Netflix is getting frustrating with their lack of anything worth watching on streaming anymore. I know that's not entirely their fault with studios and everyone else pushing against them, but there's little reason to really maintain the service anymore. The old shitty stuff they have for TV shows are all on Amazon, too, and a Prime account is useful even if you never use the streaming.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2012, 11:48 PropheT

I worked at a Mexican/Southwestern restaurant when I was younger, and we made a ton of tortilla bowls every day since it was probably our most popular thing on the menu. Our special tool was the can that the refried beans came in  

News Comments > The Political Machine 2012 Released
5. Re: The Political Machine 2012 Released Aug 1, 2012, 02:12 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 21:56:
You know, I love politics, and I love games, but the idea of a game based on politics is just so unappealing? Is it just me? Maybe I feel this way because games are fantasy and politics is reality?

They have enough fantasy to them that they're pretty fun games if you have any interest in the process itself. You really don't ever worry about the real issues outside of the context of the game; no agendas or stress involved.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I liked the older ones even if they're not exactly brimming with longevity and depth.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
73. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 02:09 PropheT

While I don't particularly like this, I don't particularly care either. It's kind of par for the course now, and if there's anybody to blame it's the ruling that prompted this movement in the first place...except I'm not even sure I disagree with that. I've never been too on board with people suing on my behalf anyway, and don't personally believe that it really changes anything other than the kind of car somebody's lawyers get to drive.  

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
41. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 19:29 PropheT

JeffD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 17:19:
5) Beta test, beta test, beta test! You know how much new content WoW got in beta that wasn't originally planned? or how many ideas that were planned and implemented got removed because after 2 years of people playing it, it really just didn't pan out? The two most successful MMORPGs, EQ and WoW, had 2 year beta cycles. You can't tell me that wasn't the bulk of their success.

A fair amount of unplanned content made it into both, but long beta tests for both didn't change that things were largely unfinished right up until and into release (with WoW at least, EQ not quite as much). I tested both, and while EQ was pretty much ready before it finally came out WoW was still getting some pretty core components together just shortly before it went out the door. The game 6 months before release had quite a few things in it that didn't make it or were changed completely prior to release.

SWTOR also had a long beta cycle, though, so it's kind of a moot point. I didn't test it until the more public options were available for that one, but I know people who did so for well over a year and a half at least.

7. Re: XXX Olympics Opening Ceremony Is Most-Watched Ever As NBC Scores Ratings Gold. Jul 29, 2012, 22:44 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:40:
But they didn't live stream it. Apparently because:

It was never our intent to live stream the Opening Ceremony or Closing Ceremony. They are complex entertainment spectacles that do not translate well online because they require context, which our award-winning production team will provide for the large prime-time audiences that gather together to watch them.

So, basically: F U internet users.

I think that's funny since I thought the commentary and pieces they did during the opening ceremony were nauseatingly terrible. I'd rather they just hadn't said a word and just showed video of the whole event :p

XXX Olympics kind of gives a whole new meaning to getting screwed by the Russian judge.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 17:53 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 16:57:
Just saw a good interview with Neil Barofsky about his book and all the stuff still going on with TARP. The corruption and the sheer volume of theft and how the American tax payer has been screwed - yet again - simply boggles the mind. I'm just surprised more of you aren't snapping and going ballistic when you learn about this stuff. I look forward to giving this a read.

Don't believe everything you read and do some research on the claims he makes prior to reading the book. He misrepresents everything from the amount of money that went out on the deal to the effects of the deal (which is actually likely to make money by the time it's over due to interest) and so on. It's just more crap where it's pretty convincing until you look at the stuff he's not telling you.

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: Blizzard/Valve and Win8 Jul 28, 2012, 00:09 PropheT

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 21:31:
Valve has done it's own damage in terms of the PC platform, but that's its own discussion, and more-so could be said about Blizzard.

That said, it doesn't change why Gabe's upset, and Blizzard's Pardo is only scared in what that means for their future ability to control their content.

If anyone believes that Win8 is going to do anything to PC gaming, let alone PC computing in general, I might just want to point them back a few years to WinME.

How have Blizzard and Steam caused damage to the platform? The biggest selling PC titles in the last 8 years and the biggest distribution platform help keep PC gaming alive, if anything. Killing retail PC sales? Sure, I could see that argument. Killing the platform? That's pants on head ridiculous.

Pointing to WinME in relation to Win7/Win8 just flat out shows a lack of understanding of what the problem is with the platform and why people are complaining about it, and completely ignores that the market is in an entirely different place now than it was when ME came out. Apple wasn't viable then, it is now. There were no feasible competitors ready to enter the market, there are now.

There's other points to be made there, but this isn't just a content control issue and just shows that people (unsurprisingly) didn't read past the catastrophe quote for the entire statement. From Ars Technica:

Valve head—and one-time Microsoft employee—Gabe Newell has branded Windows 8 "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" at videogame conference Casual Connect in Seattle. The Valve boss continued, saying that in the fallout from Windows 8, "we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people."

Google OEM's and Surface if you want an example. Even Microsoft has said they're worried about OEM's looking elsewhere.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 23:56 PropheT

Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 23:05:
I wouldn't call them game changers. They are slight stat boosts at most.

Part of the point is that how do you know that without having played the game?

Unless you trust them that it just doesn't, or read every piece of marketing fluff about the game prior to release, or wind up spending time researching which version to buy instead of just deciding you want to buy that game...

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
95. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 23:35 PropheT

Tom wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:44:
PropheT wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:36:
...You totally misunderstood what he said, or didn't think about it at all.

If people have a reason to go use Linux, like games, people (and companies) will be driven to develop for Linux and those problems will disappear with the attention needed to standardize the platform and stabilize the environment as an alternative to Windows.

I don't even know how you would interpret what he said as just being "if you could play games on it Linux would be the BESTEST"...

Oh, so without games, people and companies have no reason to develop for Linux? If only games were there, all those other problems would get fixed? Still sounds like I understood correctly. I just think it's a ridiculous assertion.

Alright, so you didn't miss the point, it just went over your head.

1. Windows 7 is still in the adoption phase by businesses. It hasn't even hit full speed in business use yet, and Windows 8 is about to roll around.

2. Windows 7 is already requiring hardware upgrades to make it a feasible platform. Combined with development costs for in-house software and a number of other things, it's an extremely expensive upgrade. Someone earlier pointed out the graphics capabilities that Win8 is using with 3D acceleration for everything; even among Win7 capable business machines that's still not standard hardware. We'll forget about monitors for now.

3. From a general user standpoint, Win8 is unnecessary right now. PC sales have been battered as it is, and nobody has really forgotten the problems with getting people to even give up XP in the hardware market. It didn't go well for OEM's, and the situation is already coming up again for them.

4. An alternative becomes necessary when the upgrade and implementation costs make it necessary. Microsoft is on top and is uncontested for the most part because Windows is awesome (people argue, but it is). What they're doing now is driving the birth of competition, and the cheapest way for competition to get started is to build off of a Linux base. There's already been a serious upswing in Mac use for the same reason, I don't think it's hard to envision a stable and competitive Linux-based platform competing for Windows market share as a result of Windows 8... like Chrome OS, for example, that isn't ready now but could be in the next year or two.

All of these things are contingent on the fact that gaming as it is on PC's now requires a healthy PC market, something Windows 8 -could- do ok with, but could also cause long-term damage to.

5. For gaming specifically, Gabe isn't the first person to even say this. Brad Wardell did back in March, too. I'll let him list the reasons instead of typing them here:

http://kotaku.com/5897763/three-killer-problems-that-threaten-windows-8

There's other stuff but I'm getting bored and don't feel like Googling any of it. That should be enough to get the point anyway.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
32. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 18:36 PropheT

Tom wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:57:
"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games"

LOL! Yeah right. Ok, let's just pay no attention to the huge fundamental usability issues. Or the lack of non-game application support. Or the update/upgrade processes. Or dependency nightmares, having to compile stuff yourself, the ever so friendly support community, the battle of the righteous vs. closed-source, etc etc etc!

No, games are the big problem. If not for that, everyone would surely use Linux. Hahaha!

...You totally misunderstood what he said, or didn't think about it at all.

If people have a reason to go use Linux, like games, people (and companies) will be driven to develop for Linux and those problems will disappear with the attention needed to standardize the platform and stabilize the environment as an alternative to Windows.

I don't even know how you would interpret what he said as just being "if you could play games on it Linux would be the BESTEST"...

News Comments > Return to RIFT
9. Re: Return to RIFT Jul 25, 2012, 14:44 PropheT

deqer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:11:
Why? I mean, WHY? What is the ****ing point in logging in for only a few days? Wtf does that do for me? I'll tell you what it does for me; it does NOTHING, because it's only a few days.

It's for previous subscribers (you can tell this by the part where it says "Previous subscribers!"). It's so people who have played before can see what the updates since they last subscribed have provided for the game and decide if they want to come back.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 23:04 PropheT

NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:58:
Of course there are guidelines, they have to filter out the noise. But there aren't a myriad of subjective judgement calls and ethereal arguments about the 'spirit of Kickstarter'

If you look at their prohibited list it's mainly things that are illegal , otherwise legally restricted, or subjects notorious for scamming.

In short, beyond basic good-faith protection of its users, it doesn't make arbitrary restrictions.

The point was that by their guidelines, Kickstarter is for funding projects. This isn't a project, unless I'm missing something about it...it's a fundraiser to drive the web site instead of using their existing ad revenue.

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 22:16:
There's a vast amount of people who seem to think their opinion is more important than the majority one.

There isn't exactly a dearth of cases where a majority wasn't exactly an indicator of validity. If people think it's a great idea, then they're more than welcome to fund it; I just question why Kickstarter, a site that's supposed to be used to appeal for funding for a new project, is the right place to do that rather than something on the site itself.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 21:52 PropheT

NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:47:
Kickstarter is a tool to enable crowdfunding, nothing more. The users decide what deserves funding, not Kickstarter. End of story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

Kickstarter disagrees with you, if you go by their guidelines. If it was just crowdfunding there wouldn't even be guidelines in the first place.

2102 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo