Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2154 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
28. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 01:23 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:19:
For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

Then you get to a boss which can and will instantly kill you. GG.

Once you know the strategy to each boss they're fairly easy, though. Maybe it's just me, but I found that only a few of the bosses are actually harder than the things you face getting to them (Orenstein and Smaugh, Four Kings) but even then it's because they're faster paced than the rest of what you've dealt with.

The games definitely aren't for everyone, either way. For people looking for something similar, Dragon's Dogma is a game that gives a lot of the atmosphere without the same difficulty... although there's unfortunately no PC version of it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
11. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 17:07 PropheT

Prez wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 16:01:
As for the game itself, the masochistic difficulty makes sure I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I struggle with average difficulty games; I really can't see enjoying a game so maddeningly difficult that it is akin to being trolled by the devs.

It's really not that hard. The game rewards a careful approach and play style, and there's only a couple of times throughout the game where they turn that convention on its head to have you charge and try a different tactic. For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

I don't generally like really hard games, but I love Demon's/Dark Souls and was able to finish both without any controller-throwing frustration.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 13:32 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:55:
I'm sure that Pachter is just trolling everybody by now. He just wants to see how much retarded shit he can spew out before people stop paying attention to him.

Nintendo will become completely irrelevant? I guess that's why you can't find a Wii-U in the USA for love or money?

Creston

It's a new console with "Nintendo" on the box that came out at christmas time. They pretty much all sell out like that, it's the later months to a year later that tell the tale of the system.

Nintendo also learned that artificial shortages with the Wii helped created demand for the console. They'd be dumb not to be doing it again.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 13:28 PropheT

Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are better than anything else on that list. Dishonored's clunky play and bad storytelling isn't even good, much less a GotY contender, and I still can't decide if I like Guild Wars 2 or outright hate it...partly because I haven't had any interest in playing it for months to solidify an opinion on it.

This year has really sucked for games, though. Last fall was packed, the year before was packed, and this year the only game I was even looking forward to was a Vita port from years ago. At least next year is looking good, since everything was pushed back until then anyway.

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
31. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:19 PropheT

|RaptoR| wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:03:
This. Fantasy is just another elves/orcs mashup in a genre already filled to the brim with that. 40k is actually unique in comparison

It has elves and dwarves, but it's one of the most unique and fleshed out iterations of that sort that's out there. There's a lot of history and lore there in an actual dark fantasy world that doesn't just sit back on the cliches you see elsewhere. 40k is just a sci-fi take on the same formula, the same races, the same gods, and everything else from Fantasy anyway. The things that make 40k unique were already in Fantasy and just adapted to the sci-fi setting.

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
9. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 12:40 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:06:
Nobody FUCKING CARES about WH, do 40K and do it more justice than that PIECE OF SHIT SPACE MARINE.

I like Warhammer fantasy, 40k bores the shit out of me.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Consumers To Pay More For Basic Cable. Dec 5, 2012, 21:53 PropheT

noman wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 21:31:
To top it off, he connected the incorrect premise he had, to the Gabe Newell's several months old 'catastrophe' comment, which had nothing to do with Windows8 adoption rate, performance etc and everything to do with the Widnows Store.

No, it didn't have to do with the Windows Store, and I see that thrown out there every time an article about this comes up. Seriously, just go read the damn quote. Go do it, I'll wait.

Done?

See how it had nothing at all to do with the Windows Store? Alright, you didn't go look it up. This is what he said:

“We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we’ll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that’s true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality.”

It's a comment about market direction when the heart of the PC market makes an OS that's half-ass designed for tablets instead, and a design that will push people and OEM's away from the traditional PC market that PC game makers count on. There's already sales questions about Windows 8 and its adoption rate, you can find articles easily from the last few weeks. You can already see certain OEM's that have been looking for ways out of the PC market, like HP.

I don't mind Windows 8 from using it for the last month, since I had to learn support for it at work. But you know what? It's usable because I can just skip all the shit that makes it Windows 8 and use it exactly like Windows 7, without ever touching the new "desktop"... I never take it out of desktop mode in normal use. So why use 8 instead of 7? I can't honestly think of a good reason.

And that's exactly what the point was. For example.

News Comments > Elemental - Fallen Enchantress Map Pack
2. Re: Elemental - Fallen Enchantress Map Pack Dec 4, 2012, 23:25 PropheT

I picked it up on the Steam sale last week and have had a surprisingly good time with it. It's sort of a lower budget cross between Civilization and HOMM to me; it's fun, but the learning curve on it is brutal enough that it's discouraging a bit. I seem to do fine at sustaining myself but poorly at actually getting anywhere because I don't know what's going on.

Nothing time and experience can't fix, but it does put up a pretty big barrier to getting started on the game despite it being really good once you get the concepts down.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
57. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 22:04 PropheT

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 17:43:
Anyone tried it yet what that means exactly? More or less power usage?

Basically, it means the power handling and clocking of the card is handled closer to what the old "Prefer Maximum Performance" power-state setting that the control panel offered. It does increase power usage slightly but not significantly from what I've found, and it helps with stuttering and some other issues that the power-save feature caused in certain games.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Reference Drivers
33. Re: New NVIDIA Reference Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:41 PropheT

Don't really need DriverSweeper anymore, and I've never liked the problems it tends to create anyway.

Just uninstall the Nvidia software via your control panel, reboot, run the driver install package and click the box for clean install.

If you don't use the HD Audio driver, the updater, or 3D do an advanced install and deselect those options. There's no reason to have them there if you don't use them.

The Physx install will always not work if there's a current version already on the system, although the message should indicate that.

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Launches
4. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Launches Dec 3, 2012, 20:24 PropheT

sdgundamx wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 20:20:
Wait, I'm confused... Can someone explain this to me?

I was already hooking up my laptop to my HDTV with an HDMI cable and playing Steam games like Batman Arkham Asylum--with *gasp* a wireless controller. I'm not getting what the need for Big Picture is...

It gives a more TV friendly interface for doing that, one that's a lot easier to control with more TV or console standard devices. It's pretty slick, actually, from the quick look I took at it.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 3, 2012, 17:18 PropheT

That cosplayer article is cool, and she definitely has the look.

The box art at the link gave me a good chuckle, though. Box art drawn up months before the game ever hits the shelves, proudly proclaiming "The Must Have Shooter of 2013, Winner of Over 80 Awards!"...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2012, 21:54 PropheT

It was complicated before?  

News Comments > Dragon Age 3 in 2014?
37. Re: Dragon Age 3 in 2014? Nov 29, 2012, 18:41 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 15:56:
Honestly man, I thought it sucked. The one thing I actually liked about DA2 was the Qunari. Now they were interesting. I liked their philosophy and why they were there. There was nothing about DA1 I liked in fact I've pretty much forgotten it already. If Bioware could go back to making proper PC CRPGs designed with real RPG players in mind utilizing the Qunari now that would be something to see. Meanwhile we're all just waiting for Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Project Eternity. I can't wait to stick those in EAs fucking craw and say 'See you fuckers, this is what REAL rpg fans want!' Then watch Ray and company cry in shame over the sellouts they've become.

I don't think real (real? really?) RPG fans had a problem with Dragon Age, at least the first game. Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 aren't going to cause any headaches for EA, either, considering neither will make enough money to make a major publisher sweat...and if they do, they'll probably just buy the company that made the game anyway.

I also have the feeling that if these weren't Kickstart projects there'd be another run of, "I hope they don't fuck this up", or "Another Obsidian bug fest" instead of talking about Showing the Man How It's Done.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 27, 2012, 22:58 PropheT

The Vita is a great system. The memory cards are definitely overpriced.

It's not a landfill for bad games, though. AC3 Liberation is a good game. P4 is a great game. Ragnarok Odyssey is a good game, if you like PSO or something like it. Gravity Rush is a good game, Hot Shots Golf for Vita is great, Zero Escape is great, Uncharted is good. All of them are comparable to console games rather than handheld games, which is why I think I like the system so much... you don't feel like you're getting the neutered baby brother to everything that comes out on the PS3. Reviews have been overly harsh to everything from the system to the games, though, so for Kotaku to go back and point to system is screwed up kind of looks like trying to prove a prophecy that they helped create.

It needs more games in general, and it's the biggest weakness the system has. It's still the best handheld I've ever owned, and is one I actually like despite not usually being a handheld gamer at all.

News Comments > Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?
65. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 15:42 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 15:31:
All the effing time. When I build a new rig I save money on the CPU, RAM and vid card. I buy the best mobo I can precisely for longevity sake so that in a couple of years when all those top end CPUs/RAM/Vid Card have come down to a reasonable price I buy them and install them. That's how you do it.

That hasn't worked well in a long time, though, since they tend to change socket types with every major CPU release that comes out. It's just not much of a change to go from one LGA 1155 to another, as an example, and most of them have hardly changed prices since they came out; I built an i5-2500k system when they were brand new, and the price is maybe $20 different now than it was when I built it so even building around cost saving measures at the time of the original build doesn't work like it used to.

News Comments > Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs?
31. Re: Intel Killing Off Desktop/Enthusiast PCs? Nov 27, 2012, 12:51 PropheT

I just don't see them going from one generation where they release locked and unlocked processors to the next where they solder them directly to the motherboard, nor do I see how confirming it with OEM's, who always get something different than the retail market, tells the entire story.

I'll wait for the followup on this one because all the pieces don't fit.

News Comments > No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer
18. Re: No BioShock Infinite Multiplayer Nov 26, 2012, 13:10 PropheT

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 26, 2012, 12:25:
I never once wanted a MP mode for Bioshock, or System Shock 2 for that matter, so I don't see the point to having one in this.

System Shock 2 had multiplayer. I played through the majority of the game co-op on a LAN.

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
18. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 21, 2012, 18:31 PropheT

Chivalry is a little clunky, has some issues, but it's a hell of a lot of fun and it's a great pickup on the sale. Unfortunately, I just grabbed it a couple of days ago not realizing Steam was doing a sale this week.... :p

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 PropheT

I don't regret buying the season pass at all. I enjoy the game and will probably spend more money on a cheap lunch today than I did for this DLC pack. That's not to say it's a good idea for everyone, but even if I did put any stock in reviewers anymore I'd still rather play it myself.  

2154 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo