Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2135 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 PropheT

I don't regret buying the season pass at all. I enjoy the game and will probably spend more money on a cheap lunch today than I did for this DLC pack. That's not to say it's a good idea for everyone, but even if I did put any stock in reviewers anymore I'd still rather play it myself.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 16:57 PropheT

Quboid wrote on Nov 19, 2012, 16:39:
On a general note, it's easy to say we want innovation, it's much harder to actually come up with something innovative which withstands scrutiny.

To me it's less to do with innovation, although that's still nice, but rather more to do with at least having some original wrapping paper.

It's a Games Are Art argument, but put it in the context of TV shows. You can get something like Firefly, that's maybe not absolutely incredible by itself but it's different and fun and enjoyably unforgettable...and it goes nowhere because it doesn't have the backing to stay alive. There's a large group out there with the means and talent to give us something to rival it, but instead you get CSI, CSI Miami, CSI Butte, CSI For Kids, CSI And Friends, CSI Mobile and CSI 2: Electric Boogalaoo because they make scads of money and you can sell them to people who don't normally care about the medium.

That's not to say every iteration of CSI is automatically terrible, it's just a disappointing and constant presence that money will win out over not just innovation but risk every time...and we don't get anything really meaningful and memorable without publishers willing to take risks.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2012, 12:30 PropheT

This is exactly what quite a few of us were trying to point out in the Croteam thread a few days ago.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 PropheT

Didn't this happen four or five games ago?  

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
100. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 03:07 PropheT

FloodAnxiety wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 21:17:
Game devs should not feel threatened by the windows 8 app store. They can still sell their desktop games the same way as they used to. They are only worried because if users start to gravitate to the app store they may stop purchasing desktop apps from other channels. If that does happen then that will only validate the direction they are going with the app store.

The certification process is a necessary evil to ensure that end user gets a good quality experience from these apps.

Here are some PROs of Windows 8 Store apps:

- The app can utilize more resources. All apps are required to properly support suspending and the possibility that the OS can terminate the app when it is not running. This means that an app store game can be a resource hog, and other open apps that are not running will get terminated if your app requires the resources used by that app.
- Consistent ways to update all of your apps. No more Quicktime/Adobe flash updaters pop ups and the corresponding services that are constantly running in the background checking for these updates.
- Security of the walled garden builds trust in the store and their apps. This will increase the number of users willing to take a chance on your software if you aren't a well known and trusted publisher.
- Installing an app can only install that app. No more hidden installations of google toolbar and other crap that you didn't ask for.
- Simple and easy way to uninstall an app, and uninstall it cleanly. Most desktop software today will leave things behind, such as loose files and additions to the registry. Which contributes to the decline in performance and disk space of the PC after several years.
- Apps that go unresponsive (the grey ghosting of the title bar you see in desktop apps) are terminated immediately. This raises the bar on developers to write responsive UIs.

Classic desktop applications can still have a short cut tile on the start screen obviously. But the desktop app won't be able to take advantage of the above mentioned benefits of Windows Store Apps.

As for the desktop experience in Windows 8; I don't miss the start button at all. Instead of having a roughly 50x50 hot spot for the mouse to click on, there is a 4x4 hot spot right in the corner. I know where the start button is, I don't need the wasted pixels on my taskbar to show the Windows Logo. Not that I use it much anyways, since the Windows key on the keyboard has always opened the start menu and still has the same function.

tldr; Lots of improvements all around. Devs should target the app store to reap the additional benefits it provides, or they can stick to the old way of doing things.

It's important to look at what Gabe was talking about and the entire quote he gave about Win8; it wasn't just worries about Windows Store taking over marketspace for Steam, it was about tablet-based focus pushing OEM's out of the PC market either because of their ability to compete in that market with Win8-based systems or because of reduced demand for Win8 desktops as a result of tablet proliferation. There's already been desktop OEM's teetering on the brink as it is, so it's not going to take a huge push for this to come to fruition. Hell, Gabe worked for Microsoft for something like three of their early OS releases; it's not like he has a myopic picture of the entire scenario as just a video game developer who's never been part of the OS market.

It isn't and never was solely about Windows Store taking over and implementing a closed application space causing problems for or taking over for Steam (or whatever else).

As far as your points:

1) What Windows applications have historically not already been resource hogs? Windows has always worked in the past of allowing full access to available memory space to any active application, so the only real new functionality is automatically stopping running Metro apps to allow resources to be reclaimed for starting apps. On a desktop, there's 2 issues there; a) any up to date system already has a glut of memory or disk space anyway and b) this is only an issue because Win8 doesn't autoterminate the apps when you "exit" them, it just minimizes them to the side application bar for instant access later. Given that they're already accessible instantly via the original launch icons on the Start screen and the initialization times required by the certification process...there's no f'ing point to this. It's a complete non-issue, ever, on a normal desktop environment. It's a tablet feature thrust into irrelevance on a desktop.

2.) You will still get Quicktime/Flash updaters running in Windows 8, or any other software like them, because those applications are never going to be a requirement for Metro apps as they aren't and will never be integral to Windows. It's situations like Java; you can create something for the Windows Store that can use javascript, but something that requires 3rd part addons or plugins like JVM aren't going to work inside the sandbox...leaving you in the exact same place for these programs that you were in in Windows 7.

3.) I'm skipping the security one and rolling it into the next point you had, since they tie together. Installing an app can only install that app within that user space, but how much does that really mean when that constrained space is only useful for running the meaningless apps the store has? Most desktop content is still going to be launched in desktop space anyway. You might not get unwanted toolbars via the Windows Store, but the idea that you're now protected from them in any way whatsoever is really, really wrong. It's like saying you were protected from them in Windows 7 when installing sidebar gadgets; the two things are completely disconnected and neither represent the overall picture of what you're doing through normal use of the system. There is no scenario that will have any user operating a Win8 desktop independent of the normal desktop where those security concerns arise, and you aren't safer.

4.) Disk cleanup has been fixing left behind files for years, and you're still going to have leftover registry entries and customization/profile files because again...the vast majority of applications on the system aren't going to run in the sandbox. I can't think of a single productivity tool or even entertainment that I used before that has been or likely will be completely replaced by a Windows Store application; meaning this has not changed, at all. Not that is has been a problem in recent memory anyway.

5) Lastly, the hot spot, the start button, the Windows key, and the Start/Metro screen are not replacements for the Start Menu as it existed in older versions of Windows. That's the All Apps button on the right click menu on that screen, the one that shows all installed applications by category... and it's f'ing terrible, really terrible, and the only reason I can see why is to force the newer usage of the Search function for application launch. The Start/Metro screen, whatever someone wants to call it now, is not a Start Menu replacement; it's an alternate desktop with a combination of quick-launch mini-apps a la the Gadget Bar and pinned-to-Start applications just like desktop shortcuts.

Bottom line is, devs aren't going to target the app store because of the constraints that it applies. There's no point in forcing yourself into both those constraints and the certification process for an application that is targeted for desktop use; pretty much everything that's out there now and that's coming soon is designed around a tablet environment. I also personally question the use of these apps in the first place, as they're all stripped down baby versions of real programs that you can access from the desktop instead...the only reason these apps have been appealing in the past is because they were on tablets that made them appealing because of their very different usage.

There are improvements in Windows 8, but most of them are hit or miss, often clunky UI changes and an app store that is doomed to irrelevance because of the tablet-focused constraints enforced there. The new Start screen was a passing curiosity that is almost completely forgotten in everyday use of the system; pretty, but a hindrance to efficient work.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2012, 20:43 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:05:
I feel bad for those in the Union. They have made MAJOR concessions in the prior years, and the media isn't picking up on that. They are very anti-union. Sad. Very sad.

They did, but the reality is that they held out for a bigger payday for the workers on a company that was going under because of labor costs. The union chose no jobs at all over the deal that was being offered them, so the idea that the union was protecting those people's jobs is kind of out the window. They were in a position to negotiate raises or concessions by the company to give back to the workers in the event of a return to profitability, but instead this is what happened.

On a side note,fruit pies are all over here, I still eat them every now and then. I didn't even think of them until seeing the mention here, I'm going to miss those more than Twinkies or the cupcakes

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
54. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 20:36 PropheT

DDI wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:02:
So much crazy in here. Windows Desktop environment will not go away for a long time. Even Windows RT still has the desktop environment. The new Start Menu is far faster to navigate than the old one, even with a mouse. There is a shit ton of data to back it up.

I'm going to go with bullshit on that, due in large part to wondering what kind of data you could even come up with to support the idea.

The metro interface isn't faster and easier than the normal start menu; hell, it's hard to find anything on it when you bring up the all apps screen to locate something that isn't either already on your desktop view or pinned to start.
The All Apps view that replaced the old start menu just mashes everything from the menu up onto your screen like a hundred desktop shortcuts; my first reaction to seeing it was laughter.

Or are you talking about the Search functionality, where you just start typing in the name of what you want to run and it shows the files? Because that was on the Start menu since Vista anyway, it's not even new functionality.

The only reason I could think of that someone would suggest that the new Start menu is faster is if they're strictly using Microsoft's terminology, with the Metro view (the area that items are pinned to with Pin to Start) replaced the Start menu...it didn't. It's a secondary desktop, and the Start menu as it was before is still a thing...accessed either by typing to search or right click and using the All Apps disaster.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2012, 16:20 PropheT

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 14:55:
Ya know what? If they organize, shut the store down. If you don't like making 14K a year then move and get another job. Stop whining since you're still getting your Obama Stamps and phone. STFU you lazy inbred. And don't give me the old "it's the only job they have" BS. If that is the case then MOVE AWAY to a better place. Less workers means less available labor, making existing labor more valuable, leading to higher wages, which leads to people moving back, more potential workers, rates go down, repeat. I know that sort of logic is lost on the lost Obama generation but, seriously, give me a break.

Re: Did 'Completely Wrong' Romney Google bomb himself? Oct 11, 2012, 01:33 ledhead1969

Romney is going to trounce that fool next month.

Heh heh.

Seriously though, just think about it. It's not like they're working at Walmart because all the skilled white-collar jobs were taken or living in a trailer court because there weren't any mansions for sale. What you're saying is something to the effect of, "These stupid lazy poor people, too dumb to just go make more money" and it's so ridiculous and wrong that it's not even a funny caricature of a gross oversimplification of the problem...it's just sad.

The wages at Walmart aren't low because there's too many people in areas where there's Walmarts pushing wages down. They're low because it's unskilled labor, and moving to another job market isn't going to make a Walmart worker suddenly worth more at the next retail job they go find in that lower population area, assuming they're even able to generate the income necessary to uproot and move there in the first place; something that's unrealistic for most people living close to the poverty line. It also ignores that if the cost of labor in those low-cost retail areas goes up, it also pushes up the cost of goods in that area to compensate, which raises the cost of living in the area, making it more enticing for people who DO actually make money there and can afford to relocate to move their skilled work somewhere else where cost of living is lower, and where they get more bang for their buck; this is where you start to get into suburban spread, deteriorating housing markets in low income urban neighborhoods as skilled labor moves out and are replaced with government assistance populations who make little but compensate for the landowner's losses in tenant income with subsidies, and so on, and so on...

Anyway, these "lazy inbreds" you're talking about HAVE jobs. Shit, a lot of them work more hours a week than you or I do. Growing up from nothing taught me a couple of valuable lessons, though, #1 being: The system isn't designed so that everyone can get ahead just by working hard, regardless of what people tell you.

20. Re: Game Reviews Nov 15, 2012, 19:13 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 16:58:
Hmm, I guess I'm imagining things,

I don't think so; the average scores are evening out to be more reasonable, I think, because smaller sites are posting more detailed reviews with less focus on just the big score.

More what I was trying to point at was just that the sites that people have been most concerned with producing inflated or paid for scores are still doing it pretty much the same.

16. Re: Game Reviews Nov 15, 2012, 16:43 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Nov 15, 2012, 14:15:
It would seem, to my eyes anyway, that the recent review site corruption dust up has scared a lot of outlets into treating games more objectively this holiday season. The biggest titles seem to be getting scores that feel more reasonable all things considered. Mid 80's is what I'd expect for games like Halo 4, AC3 and Black Ops 2. I expect them to be high quality titles but they're simply another version of an existing franchise and as such likely won't be reinventing the wheel.

The scores seem to be fair in my opinion. Xcom and Fifa 13 end up being the only 90's for the recent releases. I'm not sure I agree with Xcom getting a 90 though. I really enjoyed the game but once you beat it the game mechanics really start to annoy the crap out of me. And internal navigation (inside alien ships) is a fucking nightmare. I wonder when that dust up started... Xcom says oct 9th, looks like oct 12th was when that guy at eurogamer stepped down. So seems like xcom was under that umbrella of heavy publisher influence.

And yet, Halo 4 and its review scores seem to throw that right out the window.

Tom Chick, whether you agree with him or not, is the only review I've seen of the game that really tells the story like it actually is. I know there's the "it's just an opinion" crowd, but what he says in the review is all spot-on; it's a tired rehash of the same old Halo, and not even the recent Halo games but the 10-year old ones. It's all corridors and spawn-on you enemies mixed with short vehicle runs before they force you back off into another enemy corridor. The story is absolutely random nonsense if you haven't read the books. I loved Reach, so I picked up Halo 4 and honestly haven't been as disgusted with a game purchase in quite a while; my opinion isn't just that I dislike the game, but that is actually bad...something I think people will likely start to say after the newness of the game wears off a bit.

It's game that got 100's from some big reviewers, most notably the ones that like to sell box blurbs for retail (IGN was retaining its objectivity by giving it a mere 98, though). Its overall score on Metacritic might be in the 80's, but the usual suspects for inflated review scores are still the ones with upper 90's or 100 scores for that game.

Long story short, I don't think anything has really changed at all.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2012, 13:08 PropheT

I mostly just watch Giada's show, and that's only if she's wearing something that shows cleavage.

I know, I'm such a philistine

It's nearly impossible to buy the ingredients they use where I live. Hell, you have to drive 35 miles from here and likely shop multiple places to even buy something like pastrami.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2012, 12:59 PropheT

I'm not sure you can blame them. This is the place that's under constant fire worldwide for working conditions, has nets on their roof to keep suicide jumpers from finishing the job, and is under constant scrutiny for human rights abuses in a country that's rife with them.

Welcome to the global market. Treat the workers better, raising costs to where you can't compete or get rid of them and get robots. It's not like they can just ship the jobs to China.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Hijacked?
20. Re: Origin Accounts Hijacked? Nov 14, 2012, 12:55 PropheT

And in other news, someone actually wants an Origin account.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 13:01 PropheT

Enahs wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 11:12:
There is A LOT new in Win8, and it is a GREAT system. People only focus on the new UI is the problem; and that is always going to be something subjective anyway.

Those interface issues are hard to ignore, though. From a usability standpoint it's just a little infuriating when certain functions don't work how you'd expect them to, to the point of wondering if anyone working on the design even bothered to really get into using it with a keyboard/mouse instead of a touch screen.

I think the thing that bothers me about it is that it could be great, but it's definitely not and it's just the simple stuff holding it back. Easier customization...or hell, intuitive customization would be good enough, click and drag navigation instead of scroll wheel for horizontal bars, things like that.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: “Halo 4” Makes Entertainment History with More Than $220 Million in Global Sales in the First 24 Nov 12, 2012, 23:05 PropheT

Fantaz wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 21:12:
So how much money did Halo 4 bring in for Doritos and Mountain Dew?

EXTREME PROFITS!

Sorry, couldn't help it

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
19. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 23:03 PropheT

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 21:43:
So is it time to buy ME3?
Or should I just skip it?

ME3 is awesome as long as you don't get invested in it enough to really care about the ending.

For me, personally, it's the worst ending in the history of gaming...and that includes classic games that tended to end with "GAME OVER" or "YOU IS WINNER" as a reward for your effort. I finished it 6 months ago and it -still- makes me angry to think about it.

30. Re: Michael Arndt also wrote Toy Story 3 Nov 11, 2012, 01:04 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 15:45:
So, not a great pedigree for a dark & gritty Star Wars, but on the other hand look how shitty Prometheus was with "dark and mysterious" writer Lindelof. On the other other hand, maybe he's adopted Pixar's technique for honing and honing and honing until the story is very solid.

I loved Prometheus. I know the internet has a hardon of hate for it, but whatever.

Arndt also has a number of movies coming up that he's writing for, like Oblivion (sci-fi next spring) and the Hunger Games sequel, that both promise to be pretty dark and gritty...if that's the goal, he's got upcoming projects where he's doing exactly that already. Hell, Little Miss Sunshine wasn't exactly cheery, and neither was Toy Story 3.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 12:32 PropheT

If they're going to do Star Wars again they need to do an original story. There's a whole universe out there to use, the movie will sell by the name "Star Wars" alone, and they have every opportunity to do something new and original with it.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Nov 8, 2012, 02:51 PropheT

I think their fans have been saying this since 2003.  

News Comments > Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully
17. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 02:48 PropheT

I like Razer mice generally, but their information doesn't mesh with the changes in Synapse 2.0. Synapse 1 allowed you to use offline mode, or not even use Synapse at all, and still have full configuration of the mouse; I have no idea why they'd decide you need Synapse with 2.0 in order to access features that aren't actually tied to the profiling feature of Synapse in the first place.

Not just putting the memory on the mouse because of pricing concerns is absolute bullshit, though. The Corsair M90 is more solidly built than a Naga, uses better materials than the Naga, has onboard hardware profiles, and can often be found for $20-$30 cheaper.

All that said, even though I think some of Razer's other mice are among the best available, the Naga's popularity baffles me; it is a steaming pile for regular use since most of the gimmicky buttons aren't anywhere approaching usability, and the standard back/forward navigation buttons are so far out of place that they may as well not even be there. Even for the games they're intended for there's more comfortable and easier ways to customize a setup without sacrificing the usefulness of your mouse for other functions on your PC.

2135 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo