Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1969 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 6, 2012, 11:29 PropheT

Games are growing as a storytelling medium. Since nobody is going to play a game where you sit and talk in a car for an extended period of time, they use what they have to tell the story and do it through action in titles of a type that big publishers know will sell.

If they're going to reach you, for better or worse they need to shock you with it. Especially for a game like "The Last of Us" they need to make the violence actually be awful or the game will miss its point, something they did with the last Rambo movie that worked surprisingly well. It's not unprecedented, it's just that people are too goddamn sensitive about video games and what people might think if someone enjoys playing that game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 21:59 PropheT

PHJF wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:04:
Summer my ass, it's noon and only 76 in NC. Hardly what I'd call beach weather. But who can go to beaches when there is so much Dragon's Dogma to be played?

Dragon's Dogma... totally devoured my weekend. Had planned to play some more Diablo 3, and I made the mistake of starting Dragon's Dogma on Friday night. Totally sucked in by it, great game.

Was up over 90 on Sunday here, it's 59 degrees right now and back to normal for the rest of the week I think. That's good, I'm not ready for summer yet.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 29, 2012, 20:04 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 29, 2012, 18:47:
Meanwhile PCs can easily handle 1080p and many - like myself - already game at 1600p or even 1080p*3. The only thing the new consoles will have going for them is multi-million dollar advertising budgets to snap up exclusive titles, influence reviewers and alter perceptions. The only plus is that next-gen ports will start off at an inherently higher standard.

It's possible, but if Valve's system specs are commonplace everywhere (and no reason to believe they're not) people running over 1080p resolutions only make up about 5% of the PC gamer market. I'm guessing that people with TV's that can handle anything like that are an even lower percentage, so it's more about hitting that point and then making sure that you have enough horsepower to run at a decent framerate once you get there.

The PC has always been better and had more options, it's just not as accessible for a lot of people. The only thing that any of this stuff about the new consoles really tells me is that PC gaming isn't going anywhere any time soon since there will always be people like those of us here that want what the PC offers over the consoles...a dynamic that doesn't sound like it's changing with the next generation.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2012, 14:50 PropheT

People don't care as much about pretty graphics and realistic voice-overs as they did five years ago. People want to have fun. The end.

I'm not buying this statement at all, especially when the game in question here didn't sell poorly...it just didn't sell to the astronomical level that they'd set as a break even point.

Indie games are cheap and fun alternatives to full price games, but 99% of them don't, can't, and aren't intended to compete with those full priced games anyway.

News Comments > The Secret World Delay; Beta Details
6. Re: The Secret World Delay; Beta Details May 25, 2012, 16:07 PropheT

Fion wrote on May 25, 2012, 12:45:
My biggest problem with it is that the model is subscription fee + 'heavy' microtransactions (you only get 2 character slots per account to start for example). It simply isn't good enough to warrant such a steep cost. (Especially compared to GW2...)

Heavy is kind of an understatement. It's pre-launch, and they have extra character slots available for purchase right now for $10...and additional name reservations for preorders for $10. $10 to reserve a name is just ballsy, and if it's any indication as to how they're going to handle microtransactions with the game...

Anyway, there's a reason it's still under NDA even though it's supposed to come out very soon here.

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
12. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 24, 2012, 20:15 PropheT

Political discussion aside, this story seems to be popping up elsewhere as well.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47558510/ns/business-us_business/#.T77OFNVYt8E

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
107. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 20:10 PropheT

ASeven wrote on May 23, 2012, 19:49:
No amount of marketing will be able to mask a lock on used games, for instance.

The only thing it would take to make used games a thing of the past is a console with with cheap and easy (and plentiful) storage capacity combined with a decent digital distribution method a la Steam.

There will still be people who fall into a dead zone for it, lacking the broadband necessary to make it work... but it would be successful enough that it would make Gamestop's model obsolete. I think even they realize that, given what they invested into Impulse.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III Security
17. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Security May 22, 2012, 23:44 PropheT

Blackhawk wrote on May 22, 2012, 23:02:
What people are seeing now is, likely as not, months worth of hacked accounts being accessed for the first time all at once.

That's part of it. I still get 2-3 emails daily telling me there are account problems, or investigations, or that I was banned, or whatever from World of Warcraft. On both of my main email accounts, one of which was never associated with anything to do with the game. There's a concerted and ongoing phishing scam for WoW/Bnet accounts unlike anything most people have really had to deal with on their other accounts before.

The other part is the people who said they had authenticators didn't. The mobile SMS tool is what most of them seem to be talking about, which isn't the same thing as the mobile authenticator (or the key fob, obviously) and doesn't have the same protections on it.

It sucks, a lot, and I wish terrible things upon the people doing the hacks. It's going to get worse before it gets better with the lure of the RMAH out there to make the payoff for nailing a well-geared account even bigger.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 22, 2012, 18:28 PropheT

Lorcin wrote on May 22, 2012, 18:07:
The space combat was quite possibly the biggest single disappointment of the game.

In retrospect, the space combat was actually the only thing I really enjoyed with the game. Everything else just felt like a waste of time.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
119. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 18:49 PropheT

Overon wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:06:
When you have real money in play, then you are really motivating the hackers to look for exploits to make real money.

This is what has worried me about it, too. Game design aspects aside, a real money AH means a lot more people seeing $$$ in grabbing people's accounts.

Blizzard already has the only games I've ever honestly worried about my accounts with in the first place, and I get multiple phishing emails every single day warning me about my "compromised account" or that my account is under investigation. On both of my email accounts, one that I never used for anything related to their games at all.

I have an authenticator, but it just seems like a matter of time until the stuff that generated this headline becomes a huge game-breaking deal to a lot more people.

19. Re: Monitor Troubles May 21, 2012, 17:30 PropheT

nin wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:48:
but Viewsonic is just as great.

We went through some viewsonics here at work that sucked ass...not a week went by that we didn't have to call in at least one for service. I will never buy their stuff...

I bought a Viewsonic 27" last year, and it's awful. I'll never buy another one. It was the cheapest 27" around, and unfortunately it lived up to it in color quality.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

After my friend bought one of those they're talking about in that thread, I picked up a Catleap myself; 2560x1440 27" IPS monitor for less than half of what a similar one costs here. It's a risk to buy it, since they're coming directly from Korea and warranty work would probably be too expensive to be worth it, but the monitors are beautiful and the price is great. IPS color quality on a decent gaming monitor at extremely high res.

You do need a pretty hefty video card to make it worthwhile, though.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
89. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 16:49 PropheT

Flatline wrote on May 21, 2012, 15:48:
I'll go one further. The game itself is horseshit. Seriously if I was reviewing it I'd give it a 6.

Had a LAN party on Saturday, and all four of us pretty much said at the end of it that it was the most fun we've had with a game in a LONG time. I've been playing the crap out of it, and I'm still enjoying it as much now as when I first picked it up.

To each his own, I guess. Once you get up to level 30 and have every slot unlocked, you can use the skill system to turn a character into something completely different if you want to...and changing abilities for situational purposes is extremely useful regardless of the class from what I've seen.

If you're not having fun, though, stop playing it. It's a great game, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like it...if you don't, find something you do instead.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 19, 2012, 11:53 PropheT

I thought that review scores being obviously and blatantly skewed by hype, glossing over of issues on big releases that would be hammered on smaller ones, and recently even a general distaste for their own readership was enough reason to see that game journalism fails.

Maybe it's just a case of emulating the biggest, though. IGN is the worst at all of those and others have tried to match it, in the same way that Fox got big and the other news organizations shot their coverage full of terrible opinion pieces to keep up.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
43. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 11:56 PropheT

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:39:
Ya, way to divide your resources amongst two things of the same category making yourself 50% useful in both games, rather 100% useful in one game that you could put all your resources into.

What about either game is "useful"? Games are entertainment, people play them for fun. No one will ever care how much of a single player game you completed or how pro your gear is or how dedicated to it you are other than you.

52. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 22:57 PropheT

Bhruic wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:54:
That sounds like what Microsoft said about Internet Explorer in Windows. But that's just a backwards way of looking at it. Are the features "inseparable"? Possibly. But they are that way because Blizzard designed them to be that way. It's not an inherent trait of the features. They could easily have included the exact same feature set for people playing online, and had them not enabled when not.

You cut out the part of my post where I more or less said that, and I disagree strongly that it could have been done easily. They could have designed the game to have two separate components, and I'd agree that I wouldn't have minded at all if they had, but it would have required a completely independent peer to peer client to be designed to keep it separate from the online game and its auction houses. It's easy to see why they didn't go that route, if unfortunate.

The only point I was trying to make was that it's not really just DRM, even if it does serve that purpose as well, since the always-on design in the game is based around actual features and server-side game hosting as opposed to just making sure you aren't pirating the game like UBI's setup does.

News Comments > DC Universe Online DLC Next Month
1. Re: DC Universe Online DLC Next Month May 16, 2012, 22:27 PropheT

I thought Mark was done doing the Joker after Arkham City? Unless these were recorded some time ago...  

38. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 18:53 PropheT

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2012, 17:33:
And what or why are any of those things necessary for the SP portion of the game? The only thing it impacts is the AH. For those interested in only - or mostly - SP there is zero reason not to have an offline mode. No one is complaining about about being online to access those things or multiplayer. So if you're main thing is SP and you can't play because that portion of the game is entirely dependent on a company to play it - never mind what happens when they feel they want to pull the plug on it or start charging you subscription fees for a "premium" service that determines if you have to queue or not to play - then it's not only entirely fair to comapre the two, it's entirely apt. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever, none, to not having an offline SP mode. Anything else is just trying to rationalize away people's feelings of hypocritcal guilt for lambasting Ubisoft all these years but caving on buying Diablo 3.

I'm definitely not going to argue about the desire for a single-player offline version of the game, because I'd sure go for that. That's how I played Diablo 1 and 2; I barely touched battle.net for either of those games and I could live without the online features in D3, as well.

On the same note, though have you played the game yet? I'm not rationalizing away anything, it's just plain and simple not the same thing and it's obvious when you get into the game. The online features they're requiring the connection for are pervasive; they're literally built into every part of the game to the point where they're inseparable.

If you were arguing that it was a bad decision to do that, I'd probably be on board at this point. There's a difference between designing the game around those online features, though, and just sticking the online component there to force you to go through them to play it. Unlike UBI's solution, in D3 that online component is a full fledged part of the game and not just authorization or registration. D3's implementation of it goes well beyond what even Starcraft 2 did as far as the online features.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 16:47 PropheT

sauron wrote on May 16, 2012, 15:20:
I was reading Penny Arcade just now, and they summed this up perfectly:

His entire editorial today pretty much sums up what most of us were saying yesterday that was dismissed as just being so much whining.

And as far as always-on DRM, you still really can't dismiss Diablo 3's online requirement as just being that. It's a secondary feature, sure, but it does connect you to game services that permeate the game; friend list, auto-joining games, auction house, chat channels, and so on. Ubisoft didn't have that sort of thing with their DRM, so it's not really fair to compare the two.

It's definitely valid to question the necessity of the connection for things of dubious use to people who just want single-player Diablo 3, but it's just not the same thing.

I'm also not personally of the belief that it was unreasonable to expect Blizzard, who should have been holders of a behemoth of online knowledge and preparedness due to their experience with WoW, to have done better than what they did. Was it unexpected? No, probably not... but that in itself says something about gaming that I've grown to particularly dislike.

News Comments > Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month
20. Re: Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month May 16, 2012, 00:44 PropheT

KTR wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:45:
Uh...you do know that NCsoft is doing that on purpose?!?

The magic release day patch, ah yes. It's a mythical creature commonly mentioned on message boards leading up to the release date of a game that's clearly not done yet. "Don't you realize we're just testing an outdated version?!?" is my personal favorite version of this.

Anyway.

Companies aren't in the habit of making their product available without an NDA to people who are seeing an unfinished non-representative version of their work. That's really all there is to it; if what you saw seems definitively like it needs more time in the oven, then it does.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
233. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 23:54 PropheT

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:01:
None of it works becase the installer won't patch on certain 64 bit Vista/Win7 systems. It just hangs and won't update anything. So even if you could DL the full client the moment the updater starts you're fucked. And they've know this for a while now. That's just not dropping the ball, that's just shitting on customers.

The release version doesn't have the issue, or didn't for me, even though the open beta did.

If you're still having trouble I can dig through my post history for the fix if you want it, I know I posted it here back when open beta was live. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is, really, it's fairly simple to correct once you know what obscure component you're looking for.

1969 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo