Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2130 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 13:22 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 11:37:
In other news, that fracking article is wrong. Fracking isn't used to extract oil, it's used to extract natural gas from shales. So far, every claim by its detractors that it poisons ground water and (hilariously) causes fire to shoot out of your faucets, or to have your cats and dogs lose their hair when they drink contaminated ground water, have all been proven wrong by independent review.

Is fracking 100% clean? No, it's not. But we can either start using our massive, MASSIVE deposits of natural gas we have in our own country, or we can keep depending on the fucking middle east for oil, and we can keep watching shit like the Gulf happen.

Independent companies like "The Independent Petroleum Association", which represents gas companies? Steven Chu (Secretary of Energy in the U.S.) had a task force assigned to research fracking and their conclusion was that it posed a serious risk and ecological hazard. Even safer usage of fracking was in question because of the higher cost and lack of oversight for companies who would be doing it, meaning they would use less safe methods to make more money from the process. Duke University, an actual independent group, released a paper that documented serious methane contamination in drinking water in gas-drilling areas for example.

Basically, there aren't enough regulations on the process at the moment to ensure that fracking companies are using safe methods and it's not even clear if there are enough widespread studies as to the overall impact since drainage and water flow are different in every area in which it would be applied. There's also a serious question as to waste disposal.

It's not so eco-hippie when they want to do it in your back yard, like what's popped up not far from here recently where they have plans to start fracking in a large watershed area surrounded by farmland.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TERA Going Free-to-Play Next Month
9. Re: TERA Going Free-to-Play Next Month Jan 9, 2013, 16:00 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:03:
Sorry people, MMOs cannot succeed on the subscription model anymore.

Sure they can, if they put them out with real expectations and weight them according to what you're getting for your subscription. TERA wanted the same price you pay for other premium MMO's, charged as much as Blizzard for store items that they put out on a regular basis, and had far less content mixed in with a Korean-level grind game.

It's not that a subscription wouldn't work for TERA, it's a question of why you would put your game on the same cost level as WoW when it can't compete with it at the same level. A Korean-style game is never going to have a huge user base here, nobody but Blizzard is going to get away with charging what they do for services and items for any amount of time, and as a cost per content basis on sub fees... there isn't any competition there at all.

The same mistake is repeated over and over again by companies who have put out competing products looking for either WoW's players or people who want something similar that's not WoW. The problem over the last eight years hasn't been the subscriptions, it's been the games; not one of them has held up past a big release month or progressed to the same level as what you can get somewhere else for $15 a month.

Free to play is still only successful as long as people are willing to put out a similar amount of money to the people running the game as they would if it were drawing subscriptions anyway. To me, it's like if Netflix decided to drop subscriptions altogether and just charge you for each movie you watched; on the surface it might seem great, even cheaper, but if once I'd start using it like I did when you paid a sub fee it suddenly starts to seem like less of a good deal.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
27. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:52 PropheT

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:06:
NV has depth of narrative.

...Which was what, again? The story in NV was forgettable. So forgettable, in fact, that I'm sitting here trying to remember the narrative in the game and I can't. There's a guy who shot you, and you're trying to find him and kill him. You do that, predictably, and find out there's some factions who don't like each other. If bugs don't derail everything you do for them, there's an ending that happens.

Fallout 3's narrative was trying to find your father, chasing his trail elsewhere, finally finding him and then things go poorly. You take on the classic enemies of the Fallout franchise on a one-way path toward the end, where there's a pretty amazing battle with a giant patriot robot. There's Brotherhood of Steel, Deathclaws, Enclave, Super Mutants, and so on and they don't feel like just references to the series like in NV. The ending sucked, but they fixed it with DLC.

There really wasn't anything in NV that was great that wasn't just taken directly from Fallout 3. The new gameplay changes were done better in mods, the story was flat and uninteresting, and it was so buggy that it was almost impossible to finish.

News Comments > $83MM to Kickstart Games in 2012
6. Re: $83MM to Kickstart Games in 2012 Jan 8, 2013, 23:46 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 21:50:
So, I could either have all the stuff on Kickstarter on the one hand OR I could have one Call of Duty franchise game. Hmm, tough choice, tough choice.

I'd probably take the big budget game, if it was a genre I enjoyed more than CoD.

If even a good handful of the games that were funded turn out to be really worth the investment I might change my mind, but I'd be surprised if that happened. Some of those projects will never hit the light of day and others are just disappointments selling a name to get made; there's still no real, playable proof that investors are getting a return they expect on these kinds of projects.

News Comments > Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod
6. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 12:46 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:38:
Bill Borre wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:21:
When I play mmos I am always surprised by the fact that the devs do not build the game around that the fact that you are playing with other human beings. Maybe some day an mmo will be designed with this as the key consideration.

I suspect that from a design perspective the key word would be "reliability". As in the gamers themselves are not exactly known for it. Everything that is designed to rely on other gamers (guilds, auction houses, and PVP for example) becomes quite a bit less reliable then everything that doesn't (grinding quests, fast travel, npc merchants, etc).

The other key word would be "control". Every time you put the game in hands of the participants you inevitably give up quite a bit of control. Nothing has been the same since Lord British was killed. (joking, but I think you get my meaning)

Stockholders and publishers want control and reliability as part of the business model, for all the obvious reasons.

I don't think it's just stockholders and publishers; the players do, too, even if they attribute that need to something else.

The key thing about MMO's, at least how they are now and have been, is that anything in the game needs to have some sort of "push button, receive reward" design to it. The second something doesn't have that sort of design, players will try to find a way to exploit it in a way that achieves that goal anyway. A conversation tree would be quickly broken down into ideal paths to best rewards, for example, and then the human factor comes in and they interpret exclusion into the community as a result (you didn't choose this, so you can't do that with us).

World of Warcraft is the most used example of dumbing-down a game and simplifying it, but it's not something that was simplified just to appeal to a larger audience; it was done to give some of that reliability back to the players and get back some of their control over the encounters in the game...since the more freedom their human component has to bastardize the system for exclusionary benefit the more they'll divide the world into haves and have nots.

Basically, player-driven content is anarchy without strict and specific laws designed into the gameplay to restrict their ability to destroy their environment.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2013, 12:17 PropheT

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 10:03:
Like anything having to do with the word "art" ... eye of the beholder

I don't know about that.

With a video game, you have a program where often times thousands of hours are spent designing, drawing, coloring, shading, and putting together a specific look and perspective for each scene the viewer sees. The only part which seems to get people stuck on the difference between what you see in a video game and what you see in an animated movie is that you can interact with and play the game, somehow making it not art to certain people. It makes no sense.

Then again, a lot of those people will think a shit log on a table is a profound statement of post-modernism, too, so it's probably an argument doomed to exist forever.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 1, 2013, 20:01 PropheT

Pete wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 17:19:
The good parts overshadowed the bad in mass effect 3

I sure don't think so. Despite enjoying most of what led up to it, the ending is what stuck with me.

Gaming publications seemed to be jumping all over themselves to shit talk anyone who said something bad about it at the time, though, and have taken potshots at people who've complained about the ending ever since. It's not much of a surprise that they're giving it GOTY awards despite better games being available.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2012, 00:30 PropheT

That THQ pack for sale on Steam is just a stupidly good deal.

Dawn of War 2 and expansions, Company of Heroes and expansion, Darksiders 1 and 2, Metro 2033, Homefront, Space Marine, Red Faction 1,2, and Armageddon, Supreme Commander and expansion, Titan Quest and expansion, and a few others... for 24.99. Darksiders 2 is 19.99 by itself, for 24.99 you get just a ton of decent stuff to play.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 28, 2012, 21:02 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 15:59:
Since we are talking Smart TV, we are talking living room. Remember the big thing... "Winning the living room"? Wow that was a total fizzle for companies like MS and Sony. They thought a game box would win them the living room and make them swim in dollars. Both companies stock go nowhere, one's seemingly hanging on by a thread. You take those two consoles today and break them from their companies, they couldn't stand on their own. Winning the living room was a lie. This isn't the 50's.

PS3 Is Most Used Netflix Streaming Device

That article also points out why the 360 isn't, although it still does well in that market; Netflix is behind the XBL Gold paywall on that device when it's free to use on virtually everything else.

I use the smart-TV Netflix streaming on mine at home, a Panasonic Viera. It's not doggedly slow, works pretty well, and doesn't even see some of the buffering issues I see on other devices with the service. The Amazon video app on it is really nice, actually, with a fairly simple and fast layout that still gives quick access to everything I want.

The problem comes down to basic functionality, though; the TV app isn't searchable. As long as I add something to my queue it works on the TV fine, which isn't a problem since you can just do that from a tablet or when I'm at a PC or something anyway. It's a glaring problem but not a major one since I almost always have another internet-attached device when I'm watching TV anyway.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 27, 2012, 22:53 PropheT

3D won't be well-received until they can do it without any glasses.

Avatar's 3D was great, and it actually added to the movie in some ways. Prometheus had 3D that was as good as Avatar's, if not better, and it's as good in the home transfer as it was in the theater.

Everything else, though...it's not worth the cost. Most movies in my mind are actually better without it anyway.

News Comments > Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved
9. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 27, 2012, 22:49 PropheT

RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 21:18:
Hi I'm Blizzard! I kicked ass from 1994-2003. I crapped out games more polished than diamonds and more fun than girls. Then I made World of Warcraft, it was awesome too at first. After launch, everyone left to make new companies. That left me with no one that knew how to keep making games or expansions that were fun. But it's names like Blizzard that make fun games, not people. I'll show you all when I release Diablo III PvP that Blizzard still kicks ass! Well when it's ready.

Oddly enough, Mists of Pandaria might actually be their best expansion yet in WoW. There's a reason nobody has knocked it off its throne yet.

Diablo 3, though, I just don't get the appeal of PvP or why anyone would even want it. There's better games to do that sort of thing and the time they spend on it is better spent improving or creating content for the PvE portion of Diablo 3.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 27, 2012, 12:42 PropheT

Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 11:25:
All she said was "Digital etiquette: always ask permission before posting a friend's photo publicly. It's not about privacy settings, it's about human decency." - is that especially unreasonable? It's dumb to expect, but it doesn't warrant this attack piece.

I think he explains it pretty well in the article, but the entire point of Facebook is to do exactly what she's complaining about with the information that people provide on it. You post or like things, they use that information to sell things to you or sell your information to someone else to make a profit. Randi was the marketing director for Facebook until last year, when she used the buckets of money she made off of Facebook to start her own enterprises. She's not -just- Mark's sister, she's had her own hand in the service and did pretty well off of it.

So close on the heels of the Instagram thing where they announced that they own your pics you upload and can do with them as they please, for her to complain about human decency while living the big life off of the money made as part of Facebook is, I don't know, sort of idiotic and hypocritical.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2012, 15:53 PropheT

I think the best part of all the "end of the world" nonsense is how disappointed so many news outlets seem to be that nothing happened.

I predict an outpouring of articles on when the world is ACTUALLY going to end over the next week or so. They should just go the History Channel route and start each article with, "Alien astronaut theorists believe..."

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 14, 2012, 01:19 PropheT

It wasn't bad at all, and that kid was a great Peter Parker.

And that video was really, really ridiculous. They knock a movie about a man who dresses in a red and blue spandex jumpsuit, swings from rooftops with spider-web shooters, and has fist fights with a massive lizard monster...because it has hologram thingies that don't exist yet and implausible things happen in it.

News Comments > The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional
20. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 15:10 PropheT

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 12:38:
Anyone here actually play it?
Curious with the cash shop -- is it a Pay2Win or overall required to have a pleasant experience? Or only things that are needed at whatever 'end game' exists or aesthetics?

There's only cosmetic gear on the shop, so it's completely optional.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 9, 2012, 18:15 PropheT

Fion wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 15:45:
Far Cry 3 isn't all its cracked up to be either Tech. It's not bad, just not all that good IMHO. However there is good news. Dishonored is fantastic.

I'm really enjoying Far Cry 3 a lot, way more than I expected to. Dishonored is just...bad. The controls are clunky, the storytelling is awkward and forced, the world feels like a rehash of better games' material. I think FC3 is even a better stealth game than Dishonored. Hell, Dishonored is the only game I've ever heard my son vocally dislike before.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
28. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 9, 2012, 01:23 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 17:19:
For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

Then you get to a boss which can and will instantly kill you. GG.

Once you know the strategy to each boss they're fairly easy, though. Maybe it's just me, but I found that only a few of the bosses are actually harder than the things you face getting to them (Orenstein and Smaugh, Four Kings) but even then it's because they're faster paced than the rest of what you've dealt with.

The games definitely aren't for everyone, either way. For people looking for something similar, Dragon's Dogma is a game that gives a lot of the atmosphere without the same difficulty... although there's unfortunately no PC version of it.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Announced
11. Re: Dark Souls II Announced Dec 8, 2012, 17:07 PropheT

Prez wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 16:01:
As for the game itself, the masochistic difficulty makes sure I won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. I struggle with average difficulty games; I really can't see enjoying a game so maddeningly difficult that it is akin to being trolled by the devs.

It's really not that hard. The game rewards a careful approach and play style, and there's only a couple of times throughout the game where they turn that convention on its head to have you charge and try a different tactic. For the most part, if you take it slow, prepare yourself well, and play in survival mode you're going to be fine.

I don't generally like really hard games, but I love Demon's/Dark Souls and was able to finish both without any controller-throwing frustration.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 7, 2012, 13:32 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 10:55:
I'm sure that Pachter is just trolling everybody by now. He just wants to see how much retarded shit he can spew out before people stop paying attention to him.

Nintendo will become completely irrelevant? I guess that's why you can't find a Wii-U in the USA for love or money?

Creston

It's a new console with "Nintendo" on the box that came out at christmas time. They pretty much all sell out like that, it's the later months to a year later that tell the tale of the system.

Nintendo also learned that artificial shortages with the Wii helped created demand for the console. They'd be dumb not to be doing it again.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 13:28 PropheT

Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are better than anything else on that list. Dishonored's clunky play and bad storytelling isn't even good, much less a GotY contender, and I still can't decide if I like Guild Wars 2 or outright hate it...partly because I haven't had any interest in playing it for months to solidify an opinion on it.

This year has really sucked for games, though. Last fall was packed, the year before was packed, and this year the only game I was even looking forward to was a Vita port from years ago. At least next year is looking good, since everything was pushed back until then anyway.

2130 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo