Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2078 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2012, 12:32 PropheT

If they're going to do Star Wars again they need to do an original story. There's a whole universe out there to use, the movie will sell by the name "Star Wars" alone, and they have every opportunity to do something new and original with it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Nov 8, 2012, 02:51 PropheT

I think their fans have been saying this since 2003.  

News Comments > Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully
17. Re: Razer Mouse Software Requires Internet? Watches You Carefully Nov 8, 2012, 02:48 PropheT

I like Razer mice generally, but their information doesn't mesh with the changes in Synapse 2.0. Synapse 1 allowed you to use offline mode, or not even use Synapse at all, and still have full configuration of the mouse; I have no idea why they'd decide you need Synapse with 2.0 in order to access features that aren't actually tied to the profiling feature of Synapse in the first place.

Not just putting the memory on the mouse because of pricing concerns is absolute bullshit, though. The Corsair M90 is more solidly built than a Naga, uses better materials than the Naga, has onboard hardware profiles, and can often be found for $20-$30 cheaper.

All that said, even though I think some of Razer's other mice are among the best available, the Naga's popularity baffles me; it is a steaming pile for regular use since most of the gimmicky buttons aren't anywhere approaching usability, and the standard back/forward navigation buttons are so far out of place that they may as well not even be there. Even for the games they're intended for there's more comfortable and easier ways to customize a setup without sacrificing the usefulness of your mouse for other functions on your PC.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year
17. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:27 PropheT

I'm still willing to give a Diablo 3 expansion a chance if there's any indication that they learned from their mistakes. As much as I hated the storytelling in the new game and their direction with the auction houses being a force in the game, D3 was still the most fun co-op LAN party experience I've had in 10 years.

Heart of the Swarm is just plain too late, I honestly don't even care about it at this point...although I can't say I was ever a huge Starcraft fan in the first place.

Mists of Pandaria was silly, the trailer was goofy, and the expansion is the best the game has seen in a long time. I never thought I'd go back and I've been enjoying the hell out of it for the last month+ now.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 14:51 PropheT

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 14:31:
I think we pretty much know what we're getting with Obama. A big spender who flat out refuses to compromise to get anything done who won't even seriously talk about cuts unless it's military, which is crazy when you're fighting 3 wars essentially. Yet he'll win because he's a better public speaker and more "hip" with the hipsters.

It's simply amazing to me that most Americans seem to not care about the massive amount of debt he's added in just 4 short years. Obama was so critical of Bush adding 4 trillion of debt over 8 years, he just had to top him adding 5 trillion in only 4. Yep let's all vote for Obama, bankrupting the country and selling our souls to a communinst nation in China are wonderful ideals.

I'm not sure where you're getting information, and I definitely don't want to get into a political debate here about one candidate versus another, but a lot of what you're talking about here isn't based in reality.

WSJ article on government spending

"After adjusting for inflation, spending under Obama is falling at a 1.4% annual pace the first decline in real spending since the early 1970s, when Richard Nixon was retreating from the quagmire in Vietnam."

Anyway, just irks me when someone pulls up the fast-talker "hipster" card and follows it up with the talking points of the day from the RNC entertainment/news network.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 13:49 PropheT

It's a huge election here, not just because of the presidential vote but because of two major state votes as well. I've lived where I do for almost 12 years now and today was the busiest I've ever seen the polling place in my town.

Minnesota is always known for turnout anyway, but if my podunk little village is seeing this sort of representation already today I think it's going to be a busy night.

News Comments > The Longest Journey Sequel Plans
12. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 19:00 PropheT

I loved Dreamfall, although the ending definitely bothered me knowing it was entirely possible it would never be resolved.

It's good that they're making a follow-up, though. No cliffhangers this time, please.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 31, 2012, 23:44 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 23:23:
Actually, I assume it was related to the comment made about her probably being paid for by Square Enix because she was promoting Tomb Raider. There was nothing wrong with the article though - it never accused her of anything.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was, since everything else was pretty easily attributed to her as a direct quote.

I think everyone was so pissed about it because it was so damn spot on accurate that nobody could ignore it. People here have been saying the exact same thing for years, if less concisely, but it's a huge problem when those review scores are directly affecting everything from sales to the games that even manage to get made anymore.

I'm sure everyone will forget about it and move on, I just hope they don't forgive it along the way. It needs to change.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 16:07 PropheT

Good to see you back Blue, and here's hoping for a speedy recovery for everyone else affected.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
18. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 23:44 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:31:
Consoles are dead. Who wants to spend $500 on a crippled computer when a PC will do everything a console does and much, much more? Consoles were great when everyone who was computer illiterate and frightened of PCs wanted to game could do so. That's long past now.

Me.

I like both, for different reasons. The current generation of consoles is perfect for what I want; a quick, family-friendly media center with minimal maintenance and fuss. My main problem with consoles right now isn't the console or the setup at all, but the problems that resulted from trying to cut corners years ago when they came out.

I prefer my PC, but that's because it's mine and I can make it mine with everything I do on it. I don't want anyone else using it.

I don't see a phone or tablet replacing either of them, because that just doesn't seem like the direction anyone is really moving with those devices. I've yet to see anything that would suggest that's changing any time soon.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2012, 18:17 PropheT

They don't mention in the article that it was turned over the to the police and they said there was nothing wrong, it wasn't even a nude picture.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Revealed?
9. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Revealed? Oct 18, 2012, 04:07 PropheT

Acleacius wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:25:
Never understood why, knowing an achievement is a spoiler or is a trophy different. Seen many games listed on GameFAQs, for example where a listing of achievements for a game is listed as a cheat.

Because if the title of an achievement doesn't give away story points the description attached to it certainly will. It's why so many of them are hidden until unlocked in most games.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 22:27 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:51:
Gee, big surprise. Of course their reviews are predicated on advertising dollars. All the big budget games have always got glowing reviews - regardless of what everyone else is saying - and all the smaller titles get ripped apart to appear to give them some sort of 'street cred' that they're legit. It's why since day one I always relied on - at the time - for smaller, more honest sites like the Adrenaline Vault for reviews, as well as sites like Blues, VE, etc. to find me more legitimate reviews. And of course, most importantly, my fellow gamers.

This is pretty much it, and the best way to go.

Everyone has wondered about reviews in years past, but I don't think it's ever been as bad as it is right now. Some cases are outright blatant; L.A. Noire got 100's on some sites, like Giant Bomb, 1UP and Gamepro. GTA IV got 100's on the same sites. Red Dead Redemption (which was admittedly great) also got 100's on 1UP and Gamepro (GB didn't have it listed).

I guess you could argue that all three of those games are the pinnacle of game creation, but that seems sort of weird to me having played all three. That's just looking at Rockstar, since that's who was pointed out in the article here. IGN had a first released exclusive review for GTA IV it's worth noting, too, which not surprisingly also gave it a 100. Most fans I've seen don't even think it's the best game in the series.

Anyway, just kind of rambling. I'm sick of reviews and review scores. If it's hyped up somewhere prior to release, it'll get a high score even if it shouldn't. If anyone questions it, they'll get the "review scores are just opinions" thing which I'd be totally cool with, if it wasn't for their shitty opinions driving publishers these days.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch
12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Patch Oct 11, 2012, 21:57 PropheT

Creston wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:53:
Prez wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:47:
On the Firaxis forum someone (who may be a developer or just someone talking out their ass) said the patch's size is a function of the way the code is compiled - if you change one line the entire file needs to be downloaded.

I guess it's possible, but I know fuck-all about such things.

That's absolutely possible. It also shows that they compiled it in the worst fucking way imaginable. Fucking awesome. So everything they have a patch, we'll have to download 2 GBs or more? Yay.

Thanks Firaxis!

Creston

Didn't the same thing happen with The Witcher 2 when it came out? I seem to remember something like a 15gb patch, or something ridiculous, that I had to download to play it after an update.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 10, 2012, 21:38 PropheT

217mb download for a driver install is kind of getting out of hand.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 PropheT

So far I'm really happy with it. It's definitely X-Com, which is more than you can say for any game like this that's come out since the originals. It's not perfect but it's tense and it's fun.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Oct 4, 2012, 21:53 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 20:52:
Housearmor!

lol!

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
58. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 20:35 PropheT

WyldKat wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 17:04:
As is...

-Being forced to stand in place while casting/attacking
-Being unable to dodge enemy attacks
-Combat based on item level, not player skill
-Same old tier based dungeon/PVP gear grind
-No large-scale PVP warfare with castles, keeps to conquer with siege engines
-Kill/Quest stealing
-Simplified and downright restricting "noob friendly" skill tree
-Only a few classes can rez, don't expect them to in the open world because everyone is focused on their wall of text quest log
-Outdated graphics vs top quality modern graphics
-Forced to pay a subscription fee
-Forced to have "item level x" or tank/healer to go do dungeons
And really there's so, so much more.

"Have fun," to the people that want to continue to play this stuff, but I've had my fill a long time ago in Wrath when the story started in WC3 was wrapped up.

- Standing in place while attacking is nice for clickers. I don't personally prefer it, but it's not always a plus.

- Dodging in GW2 sucks to me, and the content that requires it with death as an immediate alternative sucks even more. Dodge or die fight? Watch swaths of people keel over dead, and then more killed as they try to revive them. No thanks.

- Tier based gear gives you something to work for. I hate it in PvP, though, so I definitely prefer GW2 there.

- Wintergrasp had large scale castle battles with siege engines. I doubt anyone plays it anymore and I have no idea if anything replaced since I haven't played WoW really since shortly after Cataclysm went up.

- Kill stealing is fine since the content is different. I like everyone being able to help anyone a lot in GW2, but there's no interaction and no reason for people to talk to work together as a result.

- The skill tree argument is ridiculous. GW2 does not have a deep skill tree or skill system at all. I agree that they oversimplified WoW's, but with a larger number of abilities I'd say WoW is still more complicated than GW2. I don't personally think I've seen a more restrictive and dumbed down action bar than GW2's, for that matter.

- Any class that can heal can rez. As far as people doing it, well...people suck in online gaming.

- Graphics are nice in GW2 but I think you'd be surprised by WoW's if you played it again. It sure as hell doesn't look like an old game when you fire it up.

- Subscription fee is fine. I don't have to put down real money to buy bank slots, bag slots, character slots, keys, costume gear, or anything else. I guess you can farm if you're max level and have nothing else to do, but... also, content updates aren't insignificant and the customer service is miles better.

That said, I wouldn't even play GW2 if there was a fee, so it does get credit for that.

- You're still forced to adhere to certain criteria to do dungeons. Since you can barely even PUG dungeons in GW2 I don't see how this makes much difference anyway.

I like both games, but... they aren't directly comparable for most of those points.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
12. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 11:37 PropheT

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:12:
The biggest problem with Panda is Guild Wars 2. Going back to a quest log from dynamic questing is jarring.

Not to me it isn't. The only change is that instead of picking up the quest from a single person you just get the quest when you walk into the area. It doesn't feel any different from the standard heart quest.

Once I got to mid-level the DE's were few and far between and there wasn't anyone around to do them anyway. After about level 25 or so you've seen most of the different quest types and the number of events falls off to the point where you're just hammering out quests like any other MMO.

News Comments > Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"
35. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 4, 2012, 01:54 PropheT

mlw wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 23:17:
One word to debate this idiot: Skyrim

Well, 4 words kind of put that to rest when the future of that series is "The Elder Scrolls Online".

Anyway...Isn't that "one word" kind of his point?

If you could come up with a few more words I think you might be on to something, but the two other single player games from the last year that came to mind also have some kind of online component (Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma).

There seems to be quite a few people here calling him an idiot when what he's saying is really, really hard to argue with if you look at the list of AAA games from the last few years. There's less than a handful of them each year. What AAA single player games have hit this year? Dragon's Dogma is the only one I can even think of, since its online component isn't actual multiplayer.

Skyrim and Batman: AC were last year, what else was there?

2078 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo