Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1969 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: Blizzard/Valve and Win8 Jul 28, 2012, 00:09 PropheT

DarkCntry wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 21:31:
Valve has done it's own damage in terms of the PC platform, but that's its own discussion, and more-so could be said about Blizzard.

That said, it doesn't change why Gabe's upset, and Blizzard's Pardo is only scared in what that means for their future ability to control their content.

If anyone believes that Win8 is going to do anything to PC gaming, let alone PC computing in general, I might just want to point them back a few years to WinME.

How have Blizzard and Steam caused damage to the platform? The biggest selling PC titles in the last 8 years and the biggest distribution platform help keep PC gaming alive, if anything. Killing retail PC sales? Sure, I could see that argument. Killing the platform? That's pants on head ridiculous.

Pointing to WinME in relation to Win7/Win8 just flat out shows a lack of understanding of what the problem is with the platform and why people are complaining about it, and completely ignores that the market is in an entirely different place now than it was when ME came out. Apple wasn't viable then, it is now. There were no feasible competitors ready to enter the market, there are now.

There's other points to be made there, but this isn't just a content control issue and just shows that people (unsurprisingly) didn't read past the catastrophe quote for the entire statement. From Ars Technica:

Valve head—and one-time Microsoft employee—Gabe Newell has branded Windows 8 "a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" at videogame conference Casual Connect in Seattle. The Valve boss continued, saying that in the fallout from Windows 8, "we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people."

Google OEM's and Surface if you want an example. Even Microsoft has said they're worried about OEM's looking elsewhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 23:56 PropheT

Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 23:05:
I wouldn't call them game changers. They are slight stat boosts at most.

Part of the point is that how do you know that without having played the game?

Unless you trust them that it just doesn't, or read every piece of marketing fluff about the game prior to release, or wind up spending time researching which version to buy instead of just deciding you want to buy that game...

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
95. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 23:35 PropheT

Tom wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:44:
PropheT wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:36:
...You totally misunderstood what he said, or didn't think about it at all.

If people have a reason to go use Linux, like games, people (and companies) will be driven to develop for Linux and those problems will disappear with the attention needed to standardize the platform and stabilize the environment as an alternative to Windows.

I don't even know how you would interpret what he said as just being "if you could play games on it Linux would be the BESTEST"...

Oh, so without games, people and companies have no reason to develop for Linux? If only games were there, all those other problems would get fixed? Still sounds like I understood correctly. I just think it's a ridiculous assertion.

Alright, so you didn't miss the point, it just went over your head.

1. Windows 7 is still in the adoption phase by businesses. It hasn't even hit full speed in business use yet, and Windows 8 is about to roll around.

2. Windows 7 is already requiring hardware upgrades to make it a feasible platform. Combined with development costs for in-house software and a number of other things, it's an extremely expensive upgrade. Someone earlier pointed out the graphics capabilities that Win8 is using with 3D acceleration for everything; even among Win7 capable business machines that's still not standard hardware. We'll forget about monitors for now.

3. From a general user standpoint, Win8 is unnecessary right now. PC sales have been battered as it is, and nobody has really forgotten the problems with getting people to even give up XP in the hardware market. It didn't go well for OEM's, and the situation is already coming up again for them.

4. An alternative becomes necessary when the upgrade and implementation costs make it necessary. Microsoft is on top and is uncontested for the most part because Windows is awesome (people argue, but it is). What they're doing now is driving the birth of competition, and the cheapest way for competition to get started is to build off of a Linux base. There's already been a serious upswing in Mac use for the same reason, I don't think it's hard to envision a stable and competitive Linux-based platform competing for Windows market share as a result of Windows 8... like Chrome OS, for example, that isn't ready now but could be in the next year or two.

All of these things are contingent on the fact that gaming as it is on PC's now requires a healthy PC market, something Windows 8 -could- do ok with, but could also cause long-term damage to.

5. For gaming specifically, Gabe isn't the first person to even say this. Brad Wardell did back in March, too. I'll let him list the reasons instead of typing them here:

http://kotaku.com/5897763/three-killer-problems-that-threaten-windows-8

There's other stuff but I'm getting bored and don't feel like Googling any of it. That should be enough to get the point anyway.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
32. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 18:36 PropheT

Tom wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:57:
"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games"

LOL! Yeah right. Ok, let's just pay no attention to the huge fundamental usability issues. Or the lack of non-game application support. Or the update/upgrade processes. Or dependency nightmares, having to compile stuff yourself, the ever so friendly support community, the battle of the righteous vs. closed-source, etc etc etc!

No, games are the big problem. If not for that, everyone would surely use Linux. Hahaha!

...You totally misunderstood what he said, or didn't think about it at all.

If people have a reason to go use Linux, like games, people (and companies) will be driven to develop for Linux and those problems will disappear with the attention needed to standardize the platform and stabilize the environment as an alternative to Windows.

I don't even know how you would interpret what he said as just being "if you could play games on it Linux would be the BESTEST"...

News Comments > Return to RIFT
9. Re: Return to RIFT Jul 25, 2012, 14:44 PropheT

deqer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:11:
Why? I mean, WHY? What is the ****ing point in logging in for only a few days? Wtf does that do for me? I'll tell you what it does for me; it does NOTHING, because it's only a few days.

It's for previous subscribers (you can tell this by the part where it says "Previous subscribers!"). It's so people who have played before can see what the updates since they last subscribed have provided for the game and decide if they want to come back.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 23:04 PropheT

NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:58:
Of course there are guidelines, they have to filter out the noise. But there aren't a myriad of subjective judgement calls and ethereal arguments about the 'spirit of Kickstarter'

If you look at their prohibited list it's mainly things that are illegal , otherwise legally restricted, or subjects notorious for scamming.

In short, beyond basic good-faith protection of its users, it doesn't make arbitrary restrictions.

The point was that by their guidelines, Kickstarter is for funding projects. This isn't a project, unless I'm missing something about it...it's a fundraiser to drive the web site instead of using their existing ad revenue.

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 22:16:
There's a vast amount of people who seem to think their opinion is more important than the majority one.

There isn't exactly a dearth of cases where a majority wasn't exactly an indicator of validity. If people think it's a great idea, then they're more than welcome to fund it; I just question why Kickstarter, a site that's supposed to be used to appeal for funding for a new project, is the right place to do that rather than something on the site itself.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 21:52 PropheT

NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:47:
Kickstarter is a tool to enable crowdfunding, nothing more. The users decide what deserves funding, not Kickstarter. End of story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

Kickstarter disagrees with you, if you go by their guidelines. If it was just crowdfunding there wouldn't even be guidelines in the first place.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 21:27 PropheT

Lokust wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:08:
It's a fucking kickstarter. If you aren't down with it, DON'T PUT MONEY IN. It's pretty ridiculous to suggest that all kickstarter projects overlap the same pool of potential donators anyway.

When it comes to gamers and PA's audience, it kind of is the same pool, isn't it?

I agree with him. It's not a Kickstarter to create anything at all, just to raise funds there rather than doing it with a site that already does pretty well for itself.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 17:42 PropheT

Julio wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 16:05:
The Batman movie was mediocre...overly long, lacking much of a plot and the plot that was there was completely predictable with no surprises.

I actually agree, unfortunately.

And I thought Bane was ridiculous. I laughed despite myself the first time I heard him talk, it just an "oh man, really?" moment. He sounds like and has the lines of Shredder from an old TMNT cartoon...there was actually laughter in the theater the first time you hear his voice. I don't think that was what they were going for.

A lot of the movie's story was forced, and worst of all it was boring for a long portion of the movie. It's a Batman movie, and Batman is barely in it. Hathaway was fine as Catwoman, but she could be cut out of the movie and it wouldn't matter much.

I loved the very end, mostly because of the characters and actors I'd loved from the other movies, but leading up to it was so predictable that it was like watching a movie I'd already seen and I was just ready for it to be over. Everyone I went with was disappointed

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jul 20, 2012, 15:13 PropheT

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 12:52:
Good writing directs the flow of conversation to a point so that people who "get it" can have a discussion. Bad writing just makes people mad. "A Clockwork Orange" used violence and rape as a means to convey a message that could be discussed (whether you agree with the message or not). Tomb Raider uses violence and rape as a means to seem grown up even though its still an action-hero adolescent fantasy.

So... It's not bad ideas - it's bad writing.

How the hell would you know, really? The game isn't even out yet. You don't even know what the story is, the context of it is, the events around it, or anything else.

Video game writers want to tackle adult themes, but their audience isn't mature enough to handle anything even approaching anything beyond what they've already seen and are familiar and comfortable with. They automatically reject anything adult by writing it off as tropes and stereotyping, like you did with a game you haven't played and a script you haven't seen by writing it off as adolescent fantasy.

If you want to be offended by something, you will be. Anyone can find flaws in something and be pissed off by it if that's what they go into it trying to do.

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2012, 03:33 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 23:37:
Was thinking about Red Faction Arma - but my friends that have it only have 3 hours max! ouch!!!!!

It's really not as bad as it got slammed for being, it's just not particularly long, replayable, well-written, or as good as its predecessors. For a cheap one and done game, like these sales really make possible to still enjoy, it's not bad.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 19, 2012, 21:54 PropheT

I have Mediacom, and they've gotten significantly better on speed even just in the last few months (it shows a 25% improvement on the chart and it's believable).

I have a 20mbit connection and usually would see ~10 or so, then by March it was a horribly unstable ~15, and since the middle of May I've actually had long periods over 20mbit. Not bad at all.

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?
34. Re: Dumb Jul 19, 2012, 15:21 PropheT

Yakubs wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:51:
morose wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:14:
Case in point, I didn't buy Diablo III but I've had Torchlight 2 on pre-order for months.

Congrats. You've spent money and gotten nothing in return. And you won't for another 12+ months.

What's more irrational? Always-on DRM or people who pre-order video games?

How is preordering irrational? You want something, you're going to buy it when it comes out, and you often get incentives for preordering it. That sounds like a good deal to me if you already know you're going to buy it. I'm not sure I understand how getting a shitty addition to a product is similar in any way to committing to buying a game before it's on shelves, either...

Besides, they're still planning on releasing this summer, so I'm not sure where you got the 12+ months from.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 18, 2012, 20:06 PropheT

I usually like Cracked articles, but this part of the article:

"astoundingly, nobody thought to slap that guy in the mouth until he died from a barrage of epic, reeling mouthslaps."

...really describes how I feel about whoever wrote it.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 19:55 PropheT

Darks wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 15:42:
Really Creston, so you’re telling me that when a user goes in there and totally bombs a score to Zero, that’s a justified score because the user is being a jerk and purposely bombing the score because they didn’t like the game? Like Verno said, games a subjective to the persons interest and like. When someone purposely goes in and gives a game a zero that cannot be taken seriously by anyone.

Nobody cares about the user scores. There's no telling if those people even played the game they're reviewing. The article and most people are talking about the aggregate on the professional reviews.

NiteX wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 18:11:
You're not a cool kid unless you hate IGN! Or SWTOR for that matter!

Could be that there's a good reason for that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 18, 2012, 12:51 PropheT

Instead of sitting him down to the table to sign him, the Knicks told him to go out and get an offer and they'd match it. He went out and got an offer, and they couldn't. The Knicks could have had him and they decided to let him go, but due in part because I don't think anyone would have ever called the contract he got offered.

If the Knicks had actually sat down with him to get a contract together they could have signed him and instead they sent him out shopping around and wound up losing him...I'd blame the management there before blaming Lin.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 12:42 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 12:18:
The sheer GALL of IGN to question Metacritic is fucking astounding. The existence of metacritic isn't ruining the game industry, IGN, it's fucking shitholes like your own websites that will sell review scores for more advertising dollars.

Creston

That's exactly what I thought.

User reviews, like nin mentioned, are basically useless. The problem is that the "professional" reviews are just user reviews hosted on a site where they'll get read.

For IGN specifically when game companies are buying the adspace that keeps them alive, putting characters into games like Chobot, and so on...

It's like reading movie reviews from Harry Knowles and taking those at face value, except 99% of the gaming press is made up of guys exactly like him instead of him being the exceptional one.

News Comments > The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
45. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 22:57 PropheT

Sir Graves wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 22:52:
PropheT wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:54:
The MMO market is fine, and there's still plenty of people paying for subscriptions.
In this day and people still do that?? Who are these suckers of which you speak?

There's millions of people playing WoW, still over a million in TOR last I heard, Rift has a large playerbase, EVE has subscriptions, TERA, The Secret World, and a lot of the games people talk about being free to play have them too.

Hell, how many people have Xbox Live subscriptions? 10 million? Not a lot of difference there, either.

I realize it wasn't a serious question, but the idea that free to play is everything is like saying people only buy iPhones. They're popular as hell and all anyone talks about, but it isn't the whole market or even close to it... and most of those free to play games aren't free anyway.

43. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 22:48 PropheT

Fion wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:12:
The problem with the MMOG market is the monthly fee. It encourages exclusivity as the vast majority of people don't play more than one because for one reason or another they feel they won't get their moneys worth if they cant put in dozens of hours into the game over the course of said month. While this is great for those big name MMOGs with millions of subscribers, it's deadly for the Genre as a whole.

Hopefully GW2 will push the F2P/B2P market by offering an amazing AAA game with a non p2w microtransactions system. If the game is successful, if Arenanet is able to pull in substantial amounts of money on a quarterly bases from box sales and microtransactions combined it may well push the genre towards dropping that monthly fee. Once nobody has to pay a subscription fee folks should have no problem playing multiple MMOGs and the market can expand and we can have a market with not just one or two MMOGs of any quality but potentially dozens of fantastic games to chose from.

I don't see that there's any evidence to support any of that, really.

Subscription MMO's are still alive and healthy. Old ones are still alive and healthy. Hell, even some of the best examples of free to play games out there right now still have subscriptions available...or are making more money per person off of cash shops than they were by subscription fees. People are paying to play these games, even the "free" ones. That's why everyone wants to make them anymore.

People don't have to play multiple MMO's for the market to be healthy, and it's not just the big name MMO's with millions of subscribers driving the market. Aside from WoW in North America, is there even another one here? The closest I know of is the game we're talking about here (TOR). Some of the other largest ones out there are run by Turbine, CCP, Funcom, and Trion...none of which are big-time companies or packing multi-million subscriber games. The MMO market hasn't been about one or two quality games for more than ten years, and it's arguable it was then (AC, DaoC, EQ, and UO were all around - and still are).

The push toward free to play isn't a push toward getting more people to play the games to strengthen the market as much as it's a push to get more people to spend money on microtransactions that potentially produce more revenue than subscriptions alone.

12. Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 15:54 PropheT

Carcifier wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:32:
The MMO market is dead. It's day has come and gone. At least in the way it currently exists. You aren't going to get people to sign up for 15 bucks a month unless it's a new game that absolutely revolutionizes the genre and blows away WOW.

SWTOR didn't even match WOW. I played it for 2 months, 1 month longer than I should have.

They're making a BIGGER mistake by not being completely F2P by this Summer. There's a lot of good RPG's out and coming out.

The MMO market is fine, and there's still plenty of people paying for subscriptions. There are more games out there and people are spread out across them, but for the most part they're all doing fine as long as they were created and are run with reasonable expectations of subscriptions.

What's absolutely crazy is to measure everything that comes out against WoW, either by player base or expectations when a game launches. It's ridiculous. No shit the game isn't doing as well as WoW; even WoW isn't doing as well as WoW if you're talking about just numbers anymore. Nothing is hitting those numbers but it always seems to be ignored that they don't have to in order to be profitable and sustainable.

TOR might be the only real exception to that, but only if the rumors of cost involved in getting it out the door are true... and even then they don't need WoW numbers to make the game sustainable on subscriptions, it just wouldn't be the cash cow EA was hoping for.

1969 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo