Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2104 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:17 PropheT

I don't know why anyone would think it's just gamers given the popularity of comedy acts and shows right now like Tosh.0 that go pretty far out there with sexism, racist jokes, rape jokes, and so on. Communal humor is almost always tied in to current popular comedy culture.

It ain't just gamers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced
11. Re: New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced Jun 12, 2013, 16:07 PropheT

I want my Tau.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer
22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 19:45 PropheT

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:59:
fujiJuice wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 11:03:
Fion wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:07:
I'm a little worried because afaik it has not been playable at any convention to date, even with a release date barely six months away. I was playing GW2 at Pax East two years before it even hit, 40 minutes a go.

It says spring 2014, why do you say six months?

Because of Blue's misleading title. He really needs an editor.

I don't think it's misleading at all, it's just that the game was expected out spring of -this- year, and then speculation of fall, so seeing a spring 2014 release date is a pretty big and previously unannounced delay.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2013, 14:11 PropheT

For $100 cheaper it's a game console that most of what I read says is a more powerful platform and doesn't have the same DRM restrictions. Microsoft would have to rename the One to the 180 and backtrack on half the things they've established for the thing.

Most of what they announced is going to be on PC anyway, so the only game I'm kind of bummed about is Dead Rising 3 (assuming that it doesn't hit PC later). I like my consoles and would normally buy both eventually, but I'm just not seeing any reason as to why I would want a One. Even the name is annoying the crap out of me when I try to write about it. Xbone? XB1?

Console Wars are pretty stupid, but that's when it's a sort of Coke/Pepsi thing. For this new stuff it's like the competitors aren't even in agreement as to what market they're fighting for.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer
6. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Trailer Jun 10, 2013, 21:14 PropheT

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 21:03:
I'm stoked, and glad they are taking their time.

Yup, me too. I'd imagine that's why this is out as early as it is.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 8, 2013, 18:30 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 15:35:
Really, and what do 10 million plus illegals cost it?

About $2.50 an hour for the ones outside Home Depot I think.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
15. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 8, 2013, 18:28 PropheT

They're kind of all over the place right now. Gamefaqs has a few for sure, although I try not so spend a lot of time there to get extremely acquainted.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 8, 2013, 01:17 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 00:12:
As someone who voted for the guy, I find the warrantless spying and drone strikes unconscionable. However, it would be the same under Romney. The only person who might be doing something differently about these two issues would have been Ron Paul, but he would have screwed up so many other things that I think Obama has done right.

It wouldn't be different under anyone. The executive branch of government doesn't make or pass laws, and Obama was a good 7 years too late to get slammed for not vetoing the patriot act. Hell, as far as the internet monitoring goes Carnivore started under Clinton in 1997...some of the monitoring stuff that people are going nuts about in the news right now isn't even from this century. It wasn't like the patriot act was just going to disappear and rights be restored to the people just because someone from another party took office.

Honestly, it bugs me that people are throwing a fit about it at this point. They're too late...they should have been on guard for it when 9/11 happened, since that was when the government was most likely to make a power grab if they wanted to (and did). There wasn't one guy involved in it, it was the president at the time, it was congress at the time, and it was people being scared about 9/11 that wanted to feel better then more than they wanted to protect themselves in 2013 that allowed it to happen. It's a bipartisan effort and it's not any more likely to go away any time soon than it is likely that Britain will take down their cameras.

It's like nobody remembers Carnivore and nobody remembers room 641A at AT&T San Francisco... it baffles the shit out of me that this is major news right now, when everyone should have known about it years ago. They did, but nobody cared when 9/11 was a more recent memory; they decided they wanted security more than privacy, so we got strict airline controls and body scanners and wars and an expanded patriot act and all kinds of other wonderful things that people accepted out of fear instead of any semblance of good sense.

Well, this is what they did with that. It's not just that the government hauled off and did it to us, the people asked for it and now are angry with what they got years after any good chance that it can be reversed.

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Website Invites Participation
2. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Website Invites Participation Jun 6, 2013, 20:45 PropheT

Noooo! Old school, like Worlds of Xeen and the old M&M games. I'm excited for this one, I hope it turns out well.

I haven't actually played Dark Messiah, though, wasn't it a Heretic/Hexen/Elder Scrolls-ish kind of thinger?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 6, 2013, 20:35 PropheT

Used games only through qualified resellers (I imagine to handle account deactivations etc. on trade in), sharing games with friends and family tied to account ownership, and still no mention of XBL subscriptions or costs or fees associated with those optional additional family sharing capabilities they talk about.

I'm sort of unsure if this means everything is the same as what they said at reveal, if they changed it, or clarified it. Aside from the used game fee it seems like the same stuff, plus details that actually allow game sharing with a lot of ifs and buts added.

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
30. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 4, 2013, 16:44 PropheT

Krovven wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 15:52:
See my post after yours for my thoughts on the DLC pricing.

In-short, if you are never going to pay for it, who gives a shit about the pricing? Try the free game regardless of it's pricing model. If at some point you feel you are being forced to pay unreasonable amounts, stop playing and don't pay it. It really is that simple.

I just don't get why some people are so emotional about this shit. So with that said, I am the one with perspective, others not so much.

If you like the game then you'd better hope people are going to pay for DLC, because that's what keeps a free to play game running.

I never said anyone was being forced to pay. I'm saying they're asking for so much money up front for characters that most people would want, and that since you don't get to make your own character, that I question how many people are going to be willing to spend 40, 50, 60 hours playing as Squirrel Girl in order to get Spider-Man (who they really wanted to play in the first place). That's a terrible game decision and doesn't foster confidence that characters I might want would actually drop when they'd be losing that much potential money for it to happen...so why even start playing?

I'm not "emotional about this shit", I'm just baffled that you can't seem to wrap your head around the idea that some people might not like $85 DLC packs and they could potentially turn people off the game. I actually didn't see anyone get all bent out of shape, either... you just seem ridiculously defensive to the point of not even considering what anyone else says and assume yourself as the smartest person in the room, which is why no one ever actually discusses anything with you and it turns into a big pissing match every time you get a response.

23. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 4, 2013, 15:47 PropheT

Krovven wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 14:41:
Update: Within 15 minutes I received playable character Thing, as a quest reward.

But hey, don't let me stop those that haven't even tried it from bitching about things they know nothing about. Par for the course around here.

I think you need to develop a sense of perspective.

$84.99 to unlock 4 characters and some outfits is more than the collector's edition of most entire games. Do you really honestly think it's unreasonable to complain about opening day DLC packs that cost more than brand new game releases and give you far less?

Why would I even try the game when the very first time I go to look at it and see what it's about I see multiple DLC packs for $70-80+? In a game where you go to play as Marvel superheroes and you see immediately that it's $84.99 up front to get access to characters like Captain America, Iron Man, or the Hulk and then another $84.99 for Cable, Wolverine (who appears in 2 different packs?), Deadpool...even if someone just looking to get into the game knew that you could unlock them by playing, just how easy is it going to be to unlock a character in-game that they're charging that much money for?

The Thing isn't in any of the three DLC packs I see on Steam, by the way, so I'm also not seeing the equivalency.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 13:32 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:36:
In any case, Tywin is still my favorite character. Probably because Charles Dance is the best cast choice in the entire show, does the character justice and manages to steal every scene that he is in. Just like the 'real' Tywin would anyway....

I'd say Peter Dinklage makes the show. Without him playing Tyrion I'm not sure they'd have much of a show, his character is too important.

I haven't watched this season of the show, though. I love the books, and will be happy if he gets the 6th one done this decade, but seeing the stuff they do in them is often just hard to watch.

3. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 4, 2013, 13:12 PropheT

The problem to me was more when I looked at it on Steam and saw it was released, "Oh, it's free to play. How much is the DLCOHMYGOD..."

Add all DLC to cart: $249.97
4 heroes, 8 costumes, and 10 fortune cards? $84.99

...wha?

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
21. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 18:16 PropheT

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 17:26:
Hmmm let's see.
Tomb of the Giants
The catacombs
New Londo ruins
Demon Ruins
Darkroot gardens is HUGE and only has 2 checkpoints(1 is hidden).
Lost Izalith(my least favorite part of the game)
Pretty much any area where the lordvessel is needed has only 1 checkpoint if i recall, it's been a while since I've played the game.

If you die in any of those areas you can get back to where you were in less than five minutes even if you fight along the way. Some of those areas have shortcuts that you unlock as you progress that makes your time to return even less should you die as you make progress. Most of them have certain creatures that don't respawn once killed (the only dangerous creatures in all of Darkroot Gardens, for example) and allow you to move through the area faster should you die.

Unless you're carrying around way more souls than you should be the only penalty for dying is the run back, and that's rarely long or difficult.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
17. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 16:15 PropheT

wrlwnd wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 10:10:
I like a challenge, believe me, but Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was ridiculous.

I gave up on it after 2 weeks of bashing my head against the same spot, with checkpoints so far apart that I had to repeat the tedious stuff leading up to where I was stuck ad nauseum.

Where in the game are you having checkpoints spread out that far apart?There's very few of them that are any real distance from each other, and the ones that are rarely have anything dangerous in between. The only place I can figure is that you're talking about Sens Fortress...there is one there that a lot of people miss at the top so that you don't need to repeat the entire fortress. The only other one that's far away is Anor Londo before the 2-boss fight, but you can just run past everything.

There isn't anything extremely hard in the game, in my opinion. If you take your time, this is one of the few games I've ever played where you can finish it by smart play rather than reaction time. If you get frustrated, though, stop and give it some time and come back to it.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador
16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 01:51 PropheT

ebone23 wrote on May 31, 2013, 16:47:
Virtually running around and shooting someone or stealing a car or beating up a hooker could be perceived to be in poor taste and sophomoric but the virtual victims of said crimes are anonymous; you're not running around wiping out a specified ethnic population. What this game is doing is pushing the now defunct perception of history as one of exploration and adventure w/out the death, disease and social exploitation.

I'm reminded of my grandfather in-law talking about WW2 movies and games that were pretty popular when he was still around, and given that he was actually at Normandy those things had a bit of a different meaning to him when he saw them. His conclusion was that it was disappointing to see death thrown around as casually as it was in those mediums, but what really mattered was that people learned about them and took something from the experience that they might not have ever gotten without the risk being taken of telling the story.

ebone23 wrote on May 31, 2013, 16:47:
How is this game different than someone releasing "The Third Reich - the game that let's you create kill lists from the ghettos of Poland to the cattle cars to the crematorium! Get your friends and family together and get Auschwitz up and running in no time!"? Considering that by historical standards the genocide of Native Americans from Brazil to Canada was on the order of 10 times (on the low end) the magnitude of the Jews during the Holocaust, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Considering the population of North America in 1492 was estimated anywhere from 2 to 18 million and South America about 30 million, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about. The combined population of the Americas in 1500 by most accounts wasn't even equal to 10 times the amount of people killed in the holocaust. The vast majority of people who died were from disease, and while some of that was certainly intentional much of it happened in a way that most Europeans who came to the Americas at the time never realized how many people were actually there to begin with since the populations were devastated before they'd ever had any real interaction with them.

Anyway, the game has a significant story and talks about letting players re-write how Europeans interacted with the natives in ways that don't involve bloodshed. It might be a good idea to not be so eager to be offended that you never bother to actually see what's involved before that kind of a rant.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Re:Amazon vs. Netflix. May 31, 2013, 01:42 PropheT

Scud wrote on May 31, 2013, 00:28:
"-No more Instant Queue list - See above, this goes with that (it just needed repeating..) Still though it makes no sense that the Instant Queue is gone but yet they still have that stupid ‘Taste Profile’ at the top of the page where the Instant Queue was listed."
I don't know what he's talking about here, I've got an Instant Queue on my Netflix page.

I...don't know what he's talking about with most of the things he mentions there. A lot of them are just plain untrue or strictly apply to only the PC version of the software, and not when using the services on other devices.

Creston wrote on May 31, 2013, 01:24:
Amazon is awful? I pay 80 bucks a year for free shipping, and I get free access to a metric hojillion movies and tv shows for free, which stream and play fine in primo quality. How is this awful?

Creston

The selection of movies and TV shows is almost exactly the same these days as well. Hell, Prime was worth the cost to me even before the instant video was tied into it.

The only reason I still have a Netflix account is because my wife and daughter use it out of habit and won't switch.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced
43. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced May 30, 2013, 19:58 PropheT

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 30, 2013, 18:38:
This is false as many, including myself, get only a dialog box:

"Internet Connection Not Detected Installation will now stop."

Before any option to select or deselect any option. You can internet search the forums for yourself if you are so inclined as I am not calling you a liar, merely incorrect as many have commented in other more technically minded forums.

It's mostly PC gamers here, you're finding the same group of people on these forums that you'll find on most tech forums.

I had a hard drive failure last weekend and after a Windows reinstall, without network card drivers even installed yet, I was able to install the Nvidia driver package for my card without so much as a hiccup. I googled the message you're talking about, and for problems installing Nvidia drivers without an internet connection, and I couldn't find anything but people talking about drivers for Nvidia network controllers.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 00:42 PropheT

I disagree with so much of the argument that it's hard to get behind any of it. Samus is hardly the Ellen Ripley of gaming, for instance; for the entirety of the first game she's in there's no clue that he's a she. When they finally approached the subject instead of just leaving it as an untouched story element, the character falls immediately into stereotypes and weakness (Other M). I don't think she's a strong role model of a character and represents women well when she doesn't say anything at all for the vast majority of her game library, and when she finally does...well...

The idea of strong female roles like in Game of Thrones or The Hunger Games kind of makes me laugh, too. There are strong women in Thrones, but they're all beholden to the machinations of the men around them if not outright slaves to that system. Katniss might seem like a great badass in the first book and movie, but has nobody else read the 2nd or 3rd? By the end of the trilogy she's rendered a mewling wretch by the difficulties she's faced, used and spent and thrust into an ending where the only redemption she finds is in her children and the man who marries her.

She's definitely right in that video games need better writing, though, and now. I'd argue that male characters are as predictable and stagnant, if not more so, than the few female counterparts that publishers dare to put out there.

As an aside, it's odd that Forbes has become one of the more readable gaming news sites out there in the past year. Even their articles I don't like are generally better than the average stuff on actual gaming sites right now.

2104 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo