Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1969 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 28, 2013, 13:50 PropheT

That commercial has bothered me for as long as it has been around. Since a high amount of what I have to deal with on a day to day basis is end-user level support of systems, scareware apps like that one just make it harder to actually fix the real issues with people's systems...although that particular one is nice in that most people catch on that it's a scam when it tries to hit them up for $40 to fix the "problems" it finds.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 23, 2013, 20:54 PropheT

I bet it's easier in Safari, you don't have to download an app for it...  

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
41. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 19:47 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 19:11:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 18:28:
I can't believe Sega paid 26mil for Relic. That strikes me as obscene.

Really? 26 million is barely enough to fund a single AAA game these days and they got an entire development studio with some proven IP behind them. And it even comes with a game shipping soon in Company of Heroes 2. Sounds to me like they got a crazy good deal.

It comes with the Warhammer 40k license Relic has, and Sega already has the Warhammer Fantasy license. I'm guessing that's what they were looking for in the purchase, anyway.

/edit:
AdamK47 wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 18:04:
I just read on Relicnews.com that Sega only bought the CoH IP. Hope that isn't true. That would mean no more Homeworld, ever.

This is wrong. He posts the bankruptcy filing as being the reasoning behind that, but that only shows CoH because that's what Relic owns; they don't own the 40k license so it's not listed, just the rights to make games under it. That's why everywhere else is listing it as part of the deal.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2013, 19:52.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 23, 2013, 13:11 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 09:51:
"Loathe" is pretty much right, too.

Thinking back of Microsoft products people don't loathe:
1) Windows, for about 5-10 years
2) DOS. No one loathed it, but no one really liked it
3) Paint!
4) Hotmail, until Gmail
5) Office, but arguably Excel is the only product that, uh, excels (sorry, had to)
6) Windows Phone. Like DOS, no one loathes it, but it isn't exactly widely appreciated. Still, if you're looking for a list of Microsoft brands that aren't loathed, you take what you can get rather than look for successes

To be fair, 1,2, and 5 are are only on the list because there aren't or weren't any real competitors to take their place for the average person and 4 didn't even start as a Microsoft product, they bought out the company. You could also argue that 3 is only there because it's pretty much ignored, the only time anyone uses it is if they don't have anything better on that system.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 22, 2013, 12:34 PropheT

Ahumado wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 11:56:
Heck, He is right.

Which part? That the president should be the one convincing parents to be parents, or that the people who make something that's not for kids are akin to child molesters when children are allowed to use it freely? Both are laughably stupid.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 23:31 PropheT

DDI wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 23:00:
Or people are too busy using it to comment but I'll take a moment. The new tile system is far faster to find, launch and organize applications than the old Start Menu.

I have no idea how or why you would claim that unless you worked for Microsoft. It's just plain and simple demonstrably untrue, and there are a number of easy to find articles and videos out there explaining exactly why. You can find people practically everywhere that talk about how confusing or poorly designed it is, from novices to IT professionals. Programs like Start8 or Pokki are way more popular than they should be.

You've said in the past that the Start screen was faster with loads of data backing that up, but didn't show any of it then and you still can't now.

The new tile system looks pretty much like a cluttered desktop when configured. I have no idea how or why that would be considered better than either a) the desktop, which is still there anyway, or b) a layered menu system where you can more easily drill down to exactly what you want. You can't even point at the Search functionality to find the icons, since that was in the old Start menu anyway.

Even someone does like it, I'd challenge the practicality and ease of use in comparison to a long-used and familiar tool that already existed.

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
33. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 20, 2013, 02:02 PropheT

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 22:18:
I was thinking something very similar. A lot of these design compromises were known up front (online only, real money auction house loot system etc) but millions bought it anyway. You'd also have to conclude that consumers don't listen either.

Online only doesn't mean anything when Diablo 2 could easily have been the same way and it wouldn't have changed the way it played.

Having an AH doesn't automatically mean that its use will be mandatory and progression would require it. It doesn't mean drop rates on the really neat gear would be so low that you'd never see them without a trip to the AH.

Having those things aren't compromises, and I don't really get how you could call them that in the first place. The design decisions associated with them are what was the problem, not those things in and of themselves.If anything, Blizzard has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt over the years and the reason the outcry has been so loud is because they weren't someone where those failures would have been expected based on the information provided. You can't just look at a feature sheet and declare, "Yup, crap" like so many people here love to do with practically everything.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 19, 2013, 01:15 PropheT

Verno wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 00:05:
You're way off base about FF12 though. The game has its flaws but the meta-game stuff isn't one of them, it's strictly there for completionists and is totally optional, you have to go out of your way to find it. It's great because it gives the game a lot of replay value and stuff to do aside from the main story. Sure theres some grind and Strategy Guide type stuff but that's what most players are looking for from an FF game.

FF12 is actually one of the best in the series, in my opinion, if it can be seen through to the end. There's a horrible lull in the middle of the game that I think stopped most people from ever seeing the really great parts of it. The mechanics are complex and definitely on the obtuse side, but I'd take them any day of the week over FF13's Paradigm system...which got inexplicable praise in the critical department.

FF13 is going to be a franchise killer if they keep insisting on putting out more games from that storyline. The story wasn't fantastic to begin with, the characters are only okay, the game takes at least 20+ hours to get to the part where you are required to do any thinking to play it, and so on. Tie that in with the disaster of FF14 and it's only a testament to the earlier games that anyone even cares what they're doing with the series anymore.

The honest truth of it is that the best Final Fantasy game to come out in years wasn't even a Final Fantasy game... it was Lost Odyssey, a game that way too many people overlooked on the 360. It's an awesome game, and beat FF at using its own formula; anybody who likes any of the FF games should check it out. It's not without some annoyances, just like any FF unfortunately, but it's great.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 18, 2013, 00:14 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 22:42:
Fairness? Yeah, the average consumer probably pays $50 a month for capped data and it costs the telco/cableco's pennies per GB of data. They're marking up their product several thousand percent. How is that even remotely fair? That's legalized extortion by any measure.

It's even worse in rural areas like around where I'm at, where prices are even higher even though our communities or even state and federal government subsidize the creation of the networks these companies are billing us to use.
The comparison is way too to close to the boom of telephone line coverage last century, and only once it was nearing its end did anyone really stop and look at the wisdom of giving a monopoly the tools to bill the subscribers for building the infrastructure for them... before making the same mistake all over again with fiber.

Internet service is an absolute mess in the vast majority of the country. The quote that killed me was, "We believe it is wrong for Netflix to withhold any content formats from our subscribers and the subscribers of many other ISPs. Time Warner Cables network is more than capable of delivering this content to Netflix subscribers today."

...all while ISP's constantly point the finger at Netflix for bandwidth issues, causing usage cap requirements, under-delivering on marketed network speeds, and so on.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 17, 2013, 23:48 PropheT

I'm not sure I see a real difference in application as to why the law should require a video game to have ESRB classification when movies don't have the same requirement under their rating system. It's unnecessary and there's no good reason to apply it when enforcement of the ESRB restrictions are voluntary measures and not a legal requirement themselves.  

News Comments > No Tomb Raider Prelaunch Demo
9. Re: No Tomb Raider Prelaunch Demo Jan 17, 2013, 12:30 PropheT

necrosis wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 08:48:
I love how no one has reported that in the US the only way to get the new Tomb Raider is digital download. There will be no physical copies.

Maybe no one noticed...

I would swear I'd seen a story here on Blue's about it already, though.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 12:27 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 11:23:
Queue the horde of Windows 8 fans who unanimously agree that Windows 8 is just perfectly fine, AS LONG AS YOU TURN IT BACK INTO WINDOWS 7.

It is fine if you turn it back into Windows 7.

I'm definitely not a Windows 8 fan, and I think that turning it back into 7 makes it pointless, but it's still largely true.

Most reviewers have said that it's terrible. They didn't do it with over the top hyperbole or just outright stupidity like the guy in this video did, though, so maybe some people didn't pick up on it.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jan 17, 2013, 00:07 PropheT

As long as it's a fair and objective look at these things, there might finally be somewhere that we can point to without having to double and triple check the source, originator of the study, who paid for it, and so on.

When they come to no conclusive evidence that video games, movies, or music are causes for this sort of thing we'll be thankful for that study. This could really turn out to be a good thing for gamers in the long run, since I don't personally believe they'll find anything that would condemn the hobby or those of us that enjoy it as the psychopathic wackos a number of politicians have historically tried to paint us as. Hell, if Joe Lieberman had done this ten years ago instead of trying to ban them we might have been thanking that goofy muppet right now.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines
22. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 20:03 PropheT

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:50:
I dunno about his one, I'll definatly have a wait and see approach. The one single aspect of AvP that I really liked was the COOP survival mode of the original. That one map where it started out all nice and litup but got darker and darker as the lights all got blown out by your fire, damn good nerve racking fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIjAx20AUcA

... just doesnt feel the same.

I think it's a little unfair to judge it based on footage that's almost a year before the game releases...even then I don't think it looks bad anyway.

I'm looking forward to it, even it if it's only an average game. It's nice they're not doing anything with predators in it... I love Alien/Aliens, and even the Predator movies, but AvP was always just a fanboy circle jerk of a franchise on the level of Freddy Vs. Jason. AvP misses the point of what makes both movies great, in my mind, and just turns it into another monster story.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 21:15 PropheT

I don't find it particularly appealing, but just like the Hitman uproar last spring I do wonder how much of the outrage over it is manufactured and how much is genuine. It's just a tacky zombie torso thing to go with a B-moviesque zombie game, it's not an art piece designed to draw contrast between feminism in video gaming and domestic violence or whatever BS a lot of the commentators are trying to come up with.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined
18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 17:15 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:03:
Kindly point out which games you have that you can play for more than 300 hours without getting tired of them, especially during a time when a glut of awesome games is being released.

What glut of awesome games? The past Christmas season was the weakest game release season I can remember, and since Far Cry 3 at the beginning of December I can't think of anything else that has released since or will until into February.

Anyway to answer the 300 hour question I'd say any good MMO.

Flatline wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:50:
I still see consistent crowds regardless of where I go. It's sparse in the mid-teens zones, since so many people are at end-game now, but that's no different from WoW, where I went 23 levels once without seeing another PC outside of a town.

WoW is 8+ years old now, and GW2 is..what, 4-ish months?

I also don't agree that you see consistent crowds wherever you go. I quit playing around early October due in large part to there being no one around in the mid-level game. Once you get past 30 or so, there was barely a handful of people around. As an aside to that, with CRZ around in WoW (like it or hate it), you -will- see people in low level areas now. Some are fairly busy.

The problem there is that GW2 is designed around having people around. The events either are not possible or are not fun without having a steady stream of people around. Those areas are also designed that people can do them regardless of level, but they don't.

If I was going to compare two games to each other at the age GW2 is, it wouldn't be GW2 and WoW. I'd compare GW2 and Warhammer, which have the same population issues and gameplay issues as a result for mostly the same reasons.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jan 15, 2013, 00:06 PropheT

Was probably as speechless about the 2nd story as I was when I saw it.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
12. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 12, 2013, 23:17 PropheT

NewMaxx wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 22:50:
What was the statistic? Oh right...more people were killed last year by bludgeoning than guns in this country.

Um...bullshit.

Not for last year, but you get the idea that it isn't even a LITTLE close: FBI Expanded homicide statistics for 2007-2011

I seem to remember the quote you're talking about somewhere, though, and they didn't say "guns" they said a specific type of rifle.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 11, 2013, 21:34 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 20:00:
I'm ok if Hollywood, games and guns all were tamed some. Perhaps one without the others is unfair.

Why? And to what degree?
And who decides? And once it's decided...where does it stop?

If you don't want those things around, then don't have them around. You're free to cut back on all three. I just don't personally understand the rationale of requiring they're cut back for everyone when there's no evidence at all that it would do anything at all to make anyone safer.

I'd ask what's more damaging, things like guns and games and movies or a constant barrage of news telling people to be scared of everyone and everything from terrorism to human traffickers to drugs to strangers to sending their kids to school and so on and so on ad nauseum.

It's just tiring. Anybody could be a killer! Anybody could be a sex offender! It could be your neighbors, your children's teachers, it could happen to you...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 13:22 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 11:37:
In other news, that fracking article is wrong. Fracking isn't used to extract oil, it's used to extract natural gas from shales. So far, every claim by its detractors that it poisons ground water and (hilariously) causes fire to shoot out of your faucets, or to have your cats and dogs lose their hair when they drink contaminated ground water, have all been proven wrong by independent review.

Is fracking 100% clean? No, it's not. But we can either start using our massive, MASSIVE deposits of natural gas we have in our own country, or we can keep depending on the fucking middle east for oil, and we can keep watching shit like the Gulf happen.

Independent companies like "The Independent Petroleum Association", which represents gas companies? Steven Chu (Secretary of Energy in the U.S.) had a task force assigned to research fracking and their conclusion was that it posed a serious risk and ecological hazard. Even safer usage of fracking was in question because of the higher cost and lack of oversight for companies who would be doing it, meaning they would use less safe methods to make more money from the process. Duke University, an actual independent group, released a paper that documented serious methane contamination in drinking water in gas-drilling areas for example.

Basically, there aren't enough regulations on the process at the moment to ensure that fracking companies are using safe methods and it's not even clear if there are enough widespread studies as to the overall impact since drainage and water flow are different in every area in which it would be applied. There's also a serious question as to waste disposal.

It's not so eco-hippie when they want to do it in your back yard, like what's popped up not far from here recently where they have plans to start fracking in a large watershed area surrounded by farmland.

1969 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo