Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1969 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2013, 01:20 PropheT

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 22:33:
The conceit of many video games these days is that you can get away with bad writing and preposterous narrative choices simply because itís a game.
As opposed to what? the old days? Yeah, Pong had such a twist at the end, didn't see it coming.

Games are meant to be fun, first and foremost. Part of this includes having a ridiculous storyline that is over the top and enjoyable through humour.

Want deep?, go watch an Opera. Otherwise, SUCK IT DOWN!

As opposed to the old days where story wasn't really a consideration and generally wasn't even included. Games these days HAVE a story, it's just more often than not a good one with any real work or consideration put into it.

Games are meant to be fun, but so are movies. They don't have to be ridiculous and over the top to be fun any more than every movie needs to be a B-movie to be enjoyable. Fun for me tends to require that I get involved into the goings-on of the game as much as enjoying its unique method of pressing buttons to receive rewards; after 30+ years of gaming with no dramatic change outside of graphics, it's rare that anything feels all the special or new unless there's a story to get wrapped up in in the process.

I know not everyone is that way, but there's different games for different people. The one constant seems to be exactly what they're talking about in this article, at least in one respect, in that even the best games have a story that's "good for games" and very few that hold up on their own in any way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
125. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 23:17 PropheT

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 19:04:
I would love to see a game more in the style of the first or third movies. No badass marines armed to the teeth, no swarming enemies easy to dispatch. One enemy stalking you, you have little (or no) weapons. Evade, outsmart and escape. Amnesia with the Aliens license basically.

But that's a harder sell to all the "bro's" out there.

Again with the "bro's" thing. Making a game based on the movie Aliens, a film that came out in 1986, isn't exactly pitching to the CoD crowd. I don't think people wanting a good Aliens game with lots of marines and guns and aliens is a dudebro thing just because a lot of people would like it. There's a reason why so many games have ripped off something from Aliens over the years.

I love Alien as much (probably more than , actually) the next guy. But in a game, you have to give real consequences. If you blow the alien out of the goddamn airlock instead of getting Dallas eaten halfway through the game, you only have half a game. I don't know if anyone else here ever played the old Alien PC game from the land of long ago, but technology just allows a lot prettier version of what that game did way back then; all it did was have you flail against impossibility until you eventually take the same route off the Nostromo that Ripley did in the movie.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 22:40 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:50:
But then they did Demigod and Space Siege and that was all she wrote.

What was wrong with Demigod? I thought it was pretty decent.

Besides, didn't they get something like $500k on the kickstarter before it was canceled? That isn't exactly something to sneeze at, I just think their expectation of $1.1m was a little unreasonable. I mean, Child's Play raised $5 million last year; they were asking for a solid 20% of what helping little kids with cancer was able to raise from gamers last year, and then they're upset that it didn't happen. The thing about successful kickstarters so far is that they didn't shoot for $1.1 million, they shot for something real and then were ecstatic when the results shot to that unreal point.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
76. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:40 PropheT

I played it for a little bit, and, wow. If anybody is nostalgic for games from around 15 years ago, here's a new game that's just like ones that came out 15 years ago.

Enemies spawning out of the walls, running at you in a stilted upright animation like they were enemies from DOOM, everything. This would probably have been pretty well received if it came out around the same time as Halo. The first one.

It's definitely bad, though, and impossible to recommend to anyone for full price. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having some fun with it...there's a little enjoy there, if you can get past it being made by a developer where I'm not sure they've touched a shooter since Goldeneye.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Trailer
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 02:02 PropheT

Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
So much focus on combat. The TR series has always been known for platforming and puzzles, not combat, so why is this one focusing on combat and dumbing down the platforming and puzzle-solving? Oh, right, gotta appeal to the CoD demographic.

I'm hoping the game sells poorly so that Square and CD reassess this new direction.

Did you watch past the first 2 minutes of the video?

Besides, at this point in gaming...how many different key combination, move this block to that spot, push this wheel, discover this symbol combination puzzles, or whatever other content that passes for a "puzzle" in a game, actually gives you even the slightest pause anymore?

Tomb Raider games have always had a pretty good mix of combat and exploration. Really, other than the first and Anniversary (which I'm not sure counts, then) they've all had a lot of combat in them or replaced certain combat elements with puzzles that were just QTE's that I don't think anyone really enjoyed a great deal.

Being a little more combat focused does two things; 1, it gives more replayability to a game, since very few puzzles are genuinely fun the second time around, and 2 it gives them a chance to implement upgrades to your character as you play, giving you a carrot to chase while you explore or gain achievements or whatever else throughout the game. It's also worth noting that the way games are made these days means that if this direction doesn't sell, the franchise is probably shelved...not remade into a different vision, one that I argue never really existed in the first place, based on past games. If a game this big doesn't sell the studio dies, there's stories about it happening posted here almost daily.

Also, complaining about dumbing games down for the CoD kiddies is really becoming the gaming forum equivalent of shaking your fist at those damn kids on your lawn. It's just silly.

3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 11, 2013, 21:50 PropheT

I think of Origin the same way that I think of being a subscriber to TLC because it comes with my cable package. TLC and Origin have no redeeming value but come attached to other things you want, sort of like herpes.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Trailer
5. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 11, 2013, 21:42 PropheT

I didn't watch much since I don't want to spoil anything, but damn that looks great. It's nice that this is finally coming out soon.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
54. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 20:16 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 19:42:
I don't click on everything here so maybe I've just been missing it but I don't think theres an epidemic of people doing that.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember. There's maybe a handful of games that don't have their entire forum thread start out bashing the game, the developer, people who buy it, or all three. It's definitely not unusual to see a thread about a game where someone decries the stupidity of anyone who would buy something here, especially for console ports and MMO's.

Hell, I only post here because people disagree with me on practically everything (you can't learn much on a forum where everyone shares the same opinion as you, after all). I've lost track of the number of threads I clicked on to talk about a game, though, and just said screw it because it was just another whine tasting event.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game coming out soon but I'll wait on the season pass and DLC to see if the game is really worth digging into that much first.

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
36. Re: BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References Feb 7, 2013, 15:58 PropheT

1badmf wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:34:
yeah the problem with SWTOR was that they were trying to steal a slice of the WOW pie. IP had nothing to do with it. they repeatedly ignored warnings that the market was WOW saturated and their clone would fall on its face. any customers they stole from WOW would almost by definition not want more WOW.

I don't know why you would think that. They didn't have any problem selling the game at all; there were more than enough people willing to give it a chance. If anything, the problem isn't that they tried to "steal a slice of the WoW pie" (which couldn't they do even if it wasn't like WoW?), but rather that the game isn't very good.

There wasn't a shortage of people who jumped onboard at launch knowing it was going to be like WoW, they just didn't stay because it wasn't good enough to keep them.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
6. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 15:53 PropheT

necrosis wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 15:41:
Gold what? Its digital only.

Not on consoles, it isn't.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 5, 2013, 23:38 PropheT

Ratty wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 23:01:
Maybe a nudie mod, but I'm not telling.

Some of those mods are necessary to make a good chunk of the cooler armors out there work right. I don't think they're that big of a deal, really.

SPERG is one I'm really enjoying atm, especially after trying some other overhaul mods. Way too many of them seem to have a massive hard on for making combat become a frustrating mix of one-shotted frustration and anger, but SPERG just makes the perks actually fun while mostly maintaining the balance of the vanilla game. Any overpowered-ness it has can be offset with Deadly Combat, another good mod.

The Dance of Death is a great mod, too, one that I like a lot. Customizable to cause more kill moves, if you like that sort of thing (I do).

SkyUI is good enough that they should just pack it with the game now.

The Apocalypse Spell Package is must-have if you play a caster type character.

I haven't had a problem with any of them (or a few that others have mentioned here, either) since loading Dragonborn but I haven't had time to play into the new areas yet. The game did do an optimization of file structure when I first launched it after loading the DLC, though, and it seems to have made things snappier.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2013, 20:58 PropheT

I don't think it was racist, just stupid and unprofessional. And kind of funny.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
53. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 19:59 PropheT

Kotaku's fishing for page hits again, I see.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2013, 23:41 PropheT

StratX wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 13:00:
Blue -
Couldn't agree more with your assessment of Ray Lewis. I heard he killed the deer for that antler stuff and then buried his orange hunting suit.

I heard that four of his friends have all claimed to have done it, and that Ray doesn't know what a deer even is and was somewhere else at the time.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2013, 22:10 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:46:
God forbid anyone excercise some willpower and self-restraint. Extort money from players? Cereal?

I'd agree with you, but once you've already spent $50-$60 for a game it's not hard to get to the point where it might seem like a good idea to spend another $5-$10 to make that original investment worthwhile. It doesn't have to snag all that many players to be effective.

Take Diablo 3 as an example. I never bought anything from the AH, gold or real money, but I'd bet that a pretty good chunk of people (including many who aren't even playing the game anymore) did because it was the only way to keep progressing in the game.

2. Re: etc., etc. Jan 31, 2013, 20:58 PropheT

I bought my son one of those horse masks as a joke christmas present.

It's creepy as hell, but everyone was laughing all day whenever he put it on because it's just so ridiculous

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 31, 2013, 20:51 PropheT

So just this weekend you can do on your Xbox what you can already do everywhere else? It's bad enough to hide Netflix behind the paywall of Live, but to incentivize it to sell the service when it's the only place you have to pay twice to use it... kind of messed up.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2013, 20:48 PropheT

But if the practice of including these kinds of microtransactions becomes commonplace, then it wonít be long before publishers clue into the fact that they can build psychological devices into a game to extort money from players

It -is- commonplace. Dead Space 3 is far from the first game to have done this, so I'm a little curious as to why it's even getting the attention it is. I still remember being a bit blown away by the amount of day-1 DLC that Gears of War 3 had, and it wasn't even the first to do it.

News Comments > Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft
11. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 12:52 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 11:09:
They already remade Dune. It was a well received mini-series that even managed to spawn another mini-series based on "Children of Dune". Happened like 12 years ago.

I'm pretty sure I read there was another more recent movie version in the early stages of production as well, although Paramount's rights expired for it before it was made. I doubt it's the last time someone tries, in any event.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 02:19 PropheT

In the 2nd story that'd be the same Lamar Alexander who, among a few others tied at the same contribution limit, is only behind Saxby Chambliss in top campaign contributions provided by the NRA last cycle. It's nice to know you can sell your talking points to an actual Senator for so cheap these days, isn't it.

1969 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo