Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2071 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
3. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 4, 2013, 13:12 PropheT

The problem to me was more when I looked at it on Steam and saw it was released, "Oh, it's free to play. How much is the DLCOHMYGOD..."

Add all DLC to cart: $249.97
4 heroes, 8 costumes, and 10 fortune cards? $84.99

...wha?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
21. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 18:16 PropheT

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 17:26:
Hmmm let's see.
Tomb of the Giants
The catacombs
New Londo ruins
Demon Ruins
Darkroot gardens is HUGE and only has 2 checkpoints(1 is hidden).
Lost Izalith(my least favorite part of the game)
Pretty much any area where the lordvessel is needed has only 1 checkpoint if i recall, it's been a while since I've played the game.

If you die in any of those areas you can get back to where you were in less than five minutes even if you fight along the way. Some of those areas have shortcuts that you unlock as you progress that makes your time to return even less should you die as you make progress. Most of them have certain creatures that don't respawn once killed (the only dangerous creatures in all of Darkroot Gardens, for example) and allow you to move through the area faster should you die.

Unless you're carrying around way more souls than you should be the only penalty for dying is the run back, and that's rarely long or difficult.

News Comments > Dark Souls II Next March
17. Re: Dark Souls II Next March Jun 3, 2013, 16:15 PropheT

wrlwnd wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 10:10:
I like a challenge, believe me, but Dark Souls: Prepare to Die was ridiculous.

I gave up on it after 2 weeks of bashing my head against the same spot, with checkpoints so far apart that I had to repeat the tedious stuff leading up to where I was stuck ad nauseum.

Where in the game are you having checkpoints spread out that far apart?There's very few of them that are any real distance from each other, and the ones that are rarely have anything dangerous in between. The only place I can figure is that you're talking about Sens Fortress...there is one there that a lot of people miss at the top so that you don't need to repeat the entire fortress. The only other one that's far away is Anor Londo before the 2-boss fight, but you can just run past everything.

There isn't anything extremely hard in the game, in my opinion. If you take your time, this is one of the few games I've ever played where you can finish it by smart play rather than reaction time. If you get frustrated, though, stop and give it some time and come back to it.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador
16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Expeditions: Conquistador Jun 1, 2013, 01:51 PropheT

ebone23 wrote on May 31, 2013, 16:47:
Virtually running around and shooting someone or stealing a car or beating up a hooker could be perceived to be in poor taste and sophomoric but the virtual victims of said crimes are anonymous; you're not running around wiping out a specified ethnic population. What this game is doing is pushing the now defunct perception of history as one of exploration and adventure w/out the death, disease and social exploitation.

I'm reminded of my grandfather in-law talking about WW2 movies and games that were pretty popular when he was still around, and given that he was actually at Normandy those things had a bit of a different meaning to him when he saw them. His conclusion was that it was disappointing to see death thrown around as casually as it was in those mediums, but what really mattered was that people learned about them and took something from the experience that they might not have ever gotten without the risk being taken of telling the story.

ebone23 wrote on May 31, 2013, 16:47:
How is this game different than someone releasing "The Third Reich - the game that let's you create kill lists from the ghettos of Poland to the cattle cars to the crematorium! Get your friends and family together and get Auschwitz up and running in no time!"? Considering that by historical standards the genocide of Native Americans from Brazil to Canada was on the order of 10 times (on the low end) the magnitude of the Jews during the Holocaust, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Considering the population of North America in 1492 was estimated anywhere from 2 to 18 million and South America about 30 million, I'd have to say you don't know wtf you're talking about. The combined population of the Americas in 1500 by most accounts wasn't even equal to 10 times the amount of people killed in the holocaust. The vast majority of people who died were from disease, and while some of that was certainly intentional much of it happened in a way that most Europeans who came to the Americas at the time never realized how many people were actually there to begin with since the populations were devastated before they'd ever had any real interaction with them.

Anyway, the game has a significant story and talks about letting players re-write how Europeans interacted with the natives in ways that don't involve bloodshed. It might be a good idea to not be so eager to be offended that you never bother to actually see what's involved before that kind of a rant.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Re:Amazon vs. Netflix. May 31, 2013, 01:42 PropheT

Scud wrote on May 31, 2013, 00:28:
"-No more Instant Queue list - See above, this goes with that (it just needed repeating..) Still though it makes no sense that the Instant Queue is gone but yet they still have that stupid ‘Taste Profile’ at the top of the page where the Instant Queue was listed."
I don't know what he's talking about here, I've got an Instant Queue on my Netflix page.

I...don't know what he's talking about with most of the things he mentions there. A lot of them are just plain untrue or strictly apply to only the PC version of the software, and not when using the services on other devices.

Creston wrote on May 31, 2013, 01:24:
Amazon is awful? I pay 80 bucks a year for free shipping, and I get free access to a metric hojillion movies and tv shows for free, which stream and play fine in primo quality. How is this awful?

Creston

The selection of movies and TV shows is almost exactly the same these days as well. Hell, Prime was worth the cost to me even before the instant video was tied into it.

The only reason I still have a Netflix account is because my wife and daughter use it out of habit and won't switch.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced
43. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced May 30, 2013, 19:58 PropheT

Optional Nickname! wrote on May 30, 2013, 18:38:
This is false as many, including myself, get only a dialog box:

"Internet Connection Not Detected Installation will now stop."

Before any option to select or deselect any option. You can internet search the forums for yourself if you are so inclined as I am not calling you a liar, merely incorrect as many have commented in other more technically minded forums.

It's mostly PC gamers here, you're finding the same group of people on these forums that you'll find on most tech forums.

I had a hard drive failure last weekend and after a Windows reinstall, without network card drivers even installed yet, I was able to install the Nvidia driver package for my card without so much as a hiccup. I googled the message you're talking about, and for problems installing Nvidia drivers without an internet connection, and I couldn't find anything but people talking about drivers for Nvidia network controllers.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2013, 00:42 PropheT

I disagree with so much of the argument that it's hard to get behind any of it. Samus is hardly the Ellen Ripley of gaming, for instance; for the entirety of the first game she's in there's no clue that he's a she. When they finally approached the subject instead of just leaving it as an untouched story element, the character falls immediately into stereotypes and weakness (Other M). I don't think she's a strong role model of a character and represents women well when she doesn't say anything at all for the vast majority of her game library, and when she finally does...well...

The idea of strong female roles like in Game of Thrones or The Hunger Games kind of makes me laugh, too. There are strong women in Thrones, but they're all beholden to the machinations of the men around them if not outright slaves to that system. Katniss might seem like a great badass in the first book and movie, but has nobody else read the 2nd or 3rd? By the end of the trilogy she's rendered a mewling wretch by the difficulties she's faced, used and spent and thrust into an ending where the only redemption she finds is in her children and the man who marries her.

She's definitely right in that video games need better writing, though, and now. I'd argue that male characters are as predictable and stagnant, if not more so, than the few female counterparts that publishers dare to put out there.

As an aside, it's odd that Forbes has become one of the more readable gaming news sites out there in the past year. Even their articles I don't like are generally better than the average stuff on actual gaming sites right now.

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
35. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 15:44 PropheT

Creston wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:20:
Their Diablo 3 failure sold like 12 million copies, so there's literally nobody at Blizzard who views it as a failure.

Creston

I mean failure more in the sense that, unlike everything else in their library, Diablo 3 almost universally has a bad reputation and holds a steady spot on 'most disappointing' lists anywhere you look. They're a company that can sell games on reputation alone like nobody else out there, and a game like that puts a pretty big dent in the armor.

I'm not suggesting they're going out of business or anything, just that their status as one of the few remaining untouchables of gaming needs something new to reinforce that respect for a new generation of gamers...and it's not coming any time soon.

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
23. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 29, 2013, 12:12 PropheT

Mr. Tact wrote on May 29, 2013, 10:27:
Blizzard will be making money for a long time to come even if the connoisseurs of gaming here at Blues have long turned up their noses at their products.

I used to defend Blizzard until I stopped to really think of what they'd done in the last ten years. World of Warcraft was very good, but having no real competitors for so long destroyed MMO's to the point where nobody even tries anymore; they just make free to play stuff and try microtransaction cash grabs instead. Starcraft 2 I don't even know what to think of; it's Starcraft 1 with new paint, it's far from bad but it's just so...forgettable. Diablo 3 was the disappointment of the decade.

And that's it. That's all they've done. A rehash, a failure, and nearly a decade of milking their cash cow. Is that enough for them to be a revered giant in gaming when most of the people who made the things we really loved are long gone from the company? The closes comparison I can think of is that Spider-Man 3 sold tons of movie tickets but still killed the franchise. The scary part about Blizzard is that they finally had their failure with Diablo 3, but it's not so much that it was a huge disappointment to so many people... it's that so many people predicted it beforehand.

News Comments > MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue
13. Re: MS's PC Gaming Disregard to Continue May 22, 2013, 21:23 PropheT

I can see everyone in the room is surprised at this news.

Maybe it's because they don't like Windows 8, either.

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
133. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 20:32 PropheT

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2013, 18:30:
Eh, they're not really doing that, though. Because they don't really care.

All Microsoft does is give Mountain Dew the access to a demographic, and the codes, of course. Mountain Dew wants to hit that demographic, so they do the partnership. Microsoft gives them nothing else. They don't tell them "Tony Smith, a 32 year old male, entered in 5 of your codes." At best they give back "40% of your activations came from white males age 18-25." Like TV ads, though, it's about going after a certain market more than it's about knowing the minutae. Success comes from an increase in sales.

Yes, they are doing it; I'm not even entirely sure you aren't arguing exactly the same thing as me. I said they have the marketing data available for Tony Smith (not necessarily that they feed his actual name to Pepsi) and know that his consuming Mountain Dew can be used for targeting Pepsi ads to him in the future, and feed his demographic data to advertisers as a result like you said. There's a reason there's Opt-out options on Windows 8, Windows Phones, and the Xbox for personalized advertising.

Microsoft YA advertising
Targeted ad opt-out
Adult male advertising
In-depth look at Xbox targeted advertising

You can't target ad data per-user without using trends tied to the Live account, and you can't get demographic information on ad consumption without referencing that data from the same account. Microsoft uses that either to sell the marketing data or sell targeted ad space, but the result is ultimately the same for the end user anyway.

The Kinect thing is mostly irrelevant, since they're already doing targeted advertising. Still, they did talk about doing exactly what was being suggested by people here before the Kinect launched.

Invasive targeted ads
Kinect privacy, targeted ads

Even if they aren't doing it now, I think it's pretty understandable why people might be concerned that they will if Microsoft gets their foot in the door.

96. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 18:25 PropheT

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2013, 18:01:
Which, likely, wouldn't be much. What would Coke or Proctor & Gamble actually get from knowing what you do while you watch TV or Xbox? How much is that kind of data really worth to them, relative to the cost for Microsoft to provide it. Put yourself in the shoes of a brand manager for Sobe or Pringles or whatever - what could Microsoft possibly tell you that you don't already know and that would be worth an eight figure deal?

Like I said earlier, though, they're already doing this. They might not be checking in on you with a Kinect camera to see if you're drinking a Dew and playing Halo IV, but if you enter the codes from a bottle into your account and play the game then they can certainly track that and have the marketing information available to say that Tom Smith drinks Mountain Dew and plays Halo IV, along with the demographic information from his Gold profile, and so on. The programs for market data statistics are already there and have been in use particularly with the 360 for years now, and tied with general user information from their Gold profile and Home screen they can target ad data on the Xbox, or feed information back to their partners like Pepsi so that they know just how popular those Halo IV codes are among people of that targeted group.

The Kinect thing I think is sort of irrelevant, it's just a more high tech way of this sort of advertisement data that they've been doing for years already. Given that the console seems to be designed around the idea of on-demand content replacing standard ad-driven cable/broadcast media, then yes; it's absolutely worth a lot of money to get their foot in the door on what could well be the future of what the television commercial evolves into in a tech market designed around on-demand content over cable or broadcast TV.

42. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 16:29 PropheT

I like my consoles. I mostly like my consoles because of the games they offer that I don't get on my PC, though, and this system seems to be putting games as secondary and touting the media center experience. I have that on my current consoles. I have that on my PC. So what does this offer that I don't already have?

I've been trying to think of just what it is about this system announcement that bothers me and was having trouble putting my finger on it until I asked what it was really offering.

It seems to just be offering more of the the worst things about the current console generation. I have little to no interest in Kinect or what it has to offer. I have even less interest in a more draconian licensing scheme that means I can't move games from one system to another in my own house, or share them with my son so he can take them with him to his Xbox and back (WTF is the point of cloud integration when you can't share the games between systems?). I simply cannot see them getting rid of Xbox Live subscriptions. I also can't see them stopping the shithead process they've mastered of spending money on forced exclusives for their system.

I already have the things they're touting here, but to get the latest version of it I have to buy into their shitty DRM scheme that sounds like something EA came up with. Why would I want this thing? What's more, why would I want it when there's no sign that their competitor is forcing these same kinds of restrictions on me?

29. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 15:57 PropheT

NegaDeath wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:45:
Kinect: "Hello Dave. I see your drinking Pepsi. Wouldn't a cold, delicious Mountain Dew be better? Drink a Mountain Dew while playing and unlock the "Do the Dew" XP bonus."

I can just see this kind of shit happening. It'll make horse armor look sensible.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but they already do that. There was a Mountain Dew XP bonus tied to Halo 4 and I think to the last CoD or two as well.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2013, 15:50 PropheT

1badmf wrote on May 20, 2013, 14:24:
wow, i feel bad for having contributed to ironman3's opening now. trek was a way better film. ironman3 was just a completely forgettable film.

Same here. I loved Iron Man 1 and 2 and actually feel bad that I paid to see the third movie. I kind of knew I was in trouble when we showed up to watch it and everyone filtering out of the previous showing looked like they'd been stuck on the top of a roller coaster for about an hour and were just happy to be leaving.

I liked the second Star Trek movie even more than the first, though. I wouldn't mind going back to see it again.

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2013, 15:00 PropheT

Root beer works great as a base, but otherwise the stuff I make is a lot like that Coke recipe. Dr. Pepper makes a really good sauce, too. Pepsi is just too sweet and there was something about using Coke that i didn't like (haha), but Root Beer and Dr. Pepper were sweet while still having some of the richness to it, for lack of a better word to describe the difference.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2013, 19:49 PropheT

Topevoli wrote on May 16, 2013, 16:38:
I'd also challenge you on the Blackhawks and the Eastern D. They are pretty big and man can they score. Considering they made the Red Wings look stupid last night, I think they are a little better than you give them credit for.

The first and last games in that Rangers series were the only ones not decided by 1 goal, and the Rangers shut out the Caps the last two games. There's definitely defense being played in the East, although being a Penguins fan I certainly wish there was -more- defense by a certain team in Pittsburgh even if they're still winning right now...

But yeah, the Blackhawks are nuts when they're on their game. They're really, really good. It might not have looked like they were going nuts on the scoreboard against the Wild, but that's the Wild...a defensive team that got where it was despite not being able to score goals for the most part. Pittsburgh has the best offense in the league, but the Hawks were #2 AND they had the #1 defense in goals against in the regular season. I will be really, really surprised if they aren't in the finals.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed May 16, 2013, 16:54 PropheT

InBlack wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:44:
What is wrong with you people????

Well, the best I can tell is that he's decrying the effects of internet outrage and public shaming by trying to incite internet outrage and public shaming. In a way that he agrees with the outcome of, of course, not in the way that happened.

It's pretty much just another episode of 'someone is wrong on the internet' that nearly everyone gets caught up in once in a while. If there's anything wrong with the people involved it's that people still argue back and forth trying to make conversations out of the shouting matches that constitute nearly everything said anywhere on the internet that anonymous people are watching.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2013, 14:16 PropheT

Creston wrote on May 15, 2013, 11:34:
MC still has some marginal value to judge a game at a glance, though. (even though said value is getting less and less, with more and more review sites simply being paid shills these days.)

Game reviews in general are what make Metacritic useless, whether it's because people are being paid to shill like you say or just because video game reviews as a whole have little to no value. A good game that isn't hyped to death will get 70's, a great game 80's, and anything that's hyped and marketed to hell and back gets high 80's or 90's unless it's fairly bad. That's always been a problem with game reviews, really, but I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now...especially since big review sites decided they were going to start scoring some games lower to seem more balanced.

Metacritic itself isn't the problem and it does have some value, it's just that you need to take every score you see on it with a grain of salt since the reviews that build the aggregate are often of so little value individually.

I'd ignore reviews entirely and dismiss the entire thing is worthless at this point, but when the games that are made available to us are funded and built around Metacritic scores that makes that difficult.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 14, 2013, 21:33 PropheT

killer_roach wrote on May 14, 2013, 19:50:
What ever happened to the good old days when it was just Sony and EA saying stuff this idiotic?

To be fair, they didn't actually say this, and even if the graphic they released did say it then they only actually be saying 13% of people don't care about privacy, not everyone.

It's not quite as inflammatory without the user-injected conjecture and hit grab headline, though.

2071 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo