Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1969 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs
7. Re: Tomb Raider PC Details; Specs Feb 22, 2013, 12:40 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 12:00:
Already preordered. Looking forward to it.

Me too. I haven't been gaming much for a few months now, but I've been looking forward to it for a long time and I'm pretty confident it'll break my game slump.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced
29. Re: Legend of Grimrock 2 Announced Feb 21, 2013, 19:37 PropheT

deqer wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:22:
How is it you feel that the lifetime of a game should be only 2 years? Why should someone move onto LoG 2 just because your business needs to survive constantly? Not our problem the business needs to keep 10 people employed with salaries or whatever.

If LoG is so great, then it's the kind of game that goes for 10 years or more. ESPECIALLY SINCE A LEVEL EDITOR WAS RELEASED.

I MEAN, C'MON.

A better question is why you think they should continue with updating and adding to a completed game instead of making a new one when there's little to no benefit to be gained from doing so.

2 years for the lifetime of a game is longer than most games get from bigger publishers. It's well longer than the majority of a game's players are actually around for, too, especially a game tailored more for a hardcore crowd that tends to migrate from game to game more frequently than casual people do.

A level editor means they don't have to keep supporting the game, it means the community can work on and make changes and add to it in a way that they'd never be able to do themselves. Look what Skyrim grew into on PC because of its mod community entirely alongside, or even in spite of, the DLC that Bethesda has released officially.

And if none of that matters at all, it might just be a good idea to remember that businesses exist to make money and them doing something to achieve that goal doesn't make them "fucktards" at all.

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
19. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 19:21 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:33:
IGN has actually improved quite a bit.

I haven't really seen any evidence of that, unless Kotaku outpacing them in dumbassery for hits means something. 90% of what they do is hyping whatever buys their ad space and reviewing it according to how much hype it got. When they more or less ran off all of the old forum posters a year or two back now there's just been no reason to even go there.

To be fair, though, Blue's is the only gaming site I even frequent anymore. When the hand-wringing drama that goes with every single gaming forum starts to translate into a site's news stories and interviews it just gets tiring to even try to read most of the stuff out there anymore. Maybe they're grabbing journalistic tips from Headline News, where they like to start stories with, "Doesn't this make you so mad?" or "You're not going to believe this" and manufacture some outrage with each of their stories to grab attention.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 12:21 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 09:36:
Beck:
“If your kid is playing these video games, you have to step up now. I beg you, pray on it if you want confirmation,” he added. “The only way we’ll survive is if we pull together as a team. Video games — for our children, not for adults — but video games are a gateway drug for our kids. And instead of a high, they get a numbness. They get an indifferent heart and a mind that cannot tell the difference between fiction and reality.”

You know, going by that description video games aren't going to turn your kids into killers, they're going to turn them into Fox News talk show hosts.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PropheT

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 11:33:
So it'll be interesting to see whether EA and Activision continue trying to shove that bullshit down everyone's throat.

Creston

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm worried about. $400 tag for the system probably wouldn't keep me from buying it, but $70+ per game would. There's not much point to a system like that if building any kind library for it is prohibitively expensive, and even at $60 a game it tends to cut out anything from even a stable (and ample) gaming budget that's not a must-have title.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
35. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:07 PropheT

Looks good to me, but there'll need to be more info to know for sure if it's a winner. Microsoft's follow-up to it is going to be interesting, at least.

The controller looks better than the rumor-mill ones that have been floating around, too. I'm still curious about any backward compatibility it might have and other things that'll make it worth jumping on it as soon as it comes out...I didn't see anything that'd make me not buy it, at least.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 19, 2013, 23:17 PropheT

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 23:02:
He also disses video games. Hard.
Really? I fail to see it. He's just dribbling shit about the good old days.

Yeah, pretty much.

Years ago someone told me that 1,200 high school kids were given a survey. A question was posed to them: Have you ever been to a stand-alone record shop? The number of kids that answered "yes" was... zero.

Zero? How could that be possible? Then I got realistic and thought to myself, "Can you blame them?" How can record shops (or any shop for that matter) compete with Netflix, TiVo, video games that take months to complete, cable, texting, the Internet, etc. etc?

Well, that might be because they don't exist anymore more in a lot of places. There's 0 in my area; every single music shop is gone, the last one that I was aware of disappearing more than 5 years ago. The only places to buy music around here are department stores and Best Buy's dwindling collection.

That was the lead in to his mouse clicks have no soul thing, anyway, along with a blurb against e-books for taking human interaction out of buying reading material. It's not that he's wrong; I hate my cell phone because of the removal of interaction that it has bred, for instance, but it's idealistic in a way that ignores the reality that what he's talking about may as well be drive-in move theaters and American Bandstand.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2013, 12:45 PropheT

Best Buy has already killed Best Buy for good as far as I'm concerned. The only reason to go there was the showroom items like TV's; just stopping in for a cable or adapter or computer part is either an exercise in frustration or bad judgment when they want $35 for a $5 HDMI cable or something similar.

Or when I was installing a hard drive for a friend at work and needed another molex to SATA power connector and they drug out their geek squad guys to insist that such a thing didn't exist, when most of the retail box hard drives they stock on their shelves and charge people to install come with one.

I really used to like them but I just don't go there anymore.

Hotmail going away could suck. I hope I can change the sites I have that email address registered to without any trouble. Hopefully I don't lose all my email there with another conversion like when Microsoft took over in 98 or whatever it was.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Feb 19, 2013, 12:30 PropheT

Yesterday's quote still strikes me as one of the most stupid comments to roll out of the game industry in a while, and I guess it shouldn't surprise me that a site chose to defend it. The problem with the Ars quote (as listed here) is that those sales of Call of Duty don't reinforce the point unless a good chunk of those 400,000 PC players are playing CoD on a controller.

If "Losing the FPS market" means not selling as many copies on PC, then PC is losing every genre's market except maybe RTS games and MMO's I'd imagine. KBM players aren't becoming less and less relevant, it's just a contrast between people playing on a given console; based on the same data used to argue the point, are we going to say that the PS3 controller is less relevant than the 360 controller because CoD sold way more copies on the 360? Or, more like the original quote, because the Xbox-exclusive Halo did? It's idiotic.

News Comments > New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers
12. Re: New WHQL-certified GeForce Drivers Feb 19, 2013, 02:47 PropheT

Atomic wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 20:06:
So far, I've been unable to use anything newer than 296.10 on my PC. If I try, any game I run goes to black screen, and I have to reboot. I think it has something to do with over-scanning the display, but I can't figure it out. Very frustrating.

Go into the Nvidia control panel, click on change resolution, hit Customize, and uncheck the box for "enable resolutions not exposed by the display" and see if that helps. If the monitor/TV you're on is reporting correctly that should prevent it from doing anything like overscanning, but your problem sounds more like a VPU reset issue (driver stops responding) if it happened even after a fresh Windows install.

Would probably need more information for anything more than that (3D, HDMI/DVI, Card type, SLI or no, etc.).

News Comments > Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB
14. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 20:47 PropheT

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told them. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

You know, after pointing those out, those are pretty much the worst things about every shooter using that formula in the last 10 years.

As far as no one wanting to play with a mouse and keyboard, that's just idiotic. "You cannot possibly be serious" is about the only thing I can come up with as a response. Playing shooters with a controller is an exercise in frustration to anyone who's used to the more precise controls offered with a keyboard/mouse... it's something you use if there's no better option, not because it's the best solution out there. Especially coming from a guy whose games were Xbox/Xbox360 exclusives, no shit they didn't want keyboard/mouse. It wasn't even an option for them to choose; that's like being told to choose between Navy Seals or Jedi when going to fight terrorists in Afghanistan. You're a little limited by the 2nd option given that little problem where they don't actually exist.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 12:53 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:34:
I hit it all the time in presentations and Excel, plus I use some Excel and PowerPoint add-ons that exist solely for it.

Yeah, and unfortunately that's enough to seriously derail it in a business setting. I've set a few people at work, who didn't have another option at the time, up with OO, but Excel/Powerpoint incompatibility issues are so common that it's impossible to use as a full replacement.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 17, 2013, 23:58 PropheT

Creston wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 22:25:
Even so, Dawnguard isn't anywhere near Dragonborn's coolness. Dragonborn is fantastic.

I think I actually liked Dawnguard better. I did enjoy Dragonborn, but the main story was over too fast for my taste and from start to finish it was never all that clear as to why I was even doing it. I think I just expected more backstory to be revealed and either it wasn't or I missed it somehow.

Still worth the trip, though, I'm glad I went back to Skyrim to play it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 15, 2013, 12:44 PropheT

I'm not really sure what the guy in the article is talking about. I use Chrome on a 2560x1440 display and just testing it I opened 25 tabs and could still see the titles on all of them... it condenses the tabs, it doesn't just make them disappear or anything.

If your computer can't handle 25 tabs in your browser you probably need a new system, too, or more RAM than you had in 2002.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2013, 00:50 PropheT

There is no way that he's never heard of that use of the term "chubby" before. They were saying it in R-rated comedies 30 years ago.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 00:48 PropheT

mag wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:57:
Still better than the 360 ones!

The 360 triggers are just about perfect.

So is the offset stick design that I see they didn't go with on the PS4 controller again.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
71. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 21:01 PropheT

Zyrxil wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:16:
PropheT wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:10:
siapnar wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:39:
Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure some people love this Aliens game.

I don't know. I like almost every game I play, and I've even had a little bit of fun with this one, but it really is as bad as people are saying it is.

I'd still ignore the game reviews for it, even though I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. I've only looked at a handful of reviews, but most were similar to the RPS review where he starts off by noting how the game has been savaged by reviews. What kind of reviewer reads what people think of a game before they play it and review it? Not that it made him/her wrong in this case, but still.

Why would you interpret that as him having read what others had said before he played it? He was just acknowledging all the other negative press that had been released before his was published. He certainly played his own early review copy before all the other reviews hit yesterday.

I didn't see this until now since I was bored and reading the thread, but...why wouldn't you take it that way?

"As you’ve probably already heard, Aliens: Colonial Marines is terrible. Properly terrible. "

As in, you've seen the reviews of how bad this is, here's my review of how bad this is...which comes back to my point that it's a little odd to me to read what the press is saying about a game prior to writing a review for it. "John’s spent the day ploughing through Aliens: Colonial Marines, so he can tell you wot he thinks:" doesn't smack to me of an earlier review copy played prior to any other discussion on the subject, either, but who knows.

Like I said, in any event he's not necessarily wrong about the game in the review.

Resident Evil 6 had the same thing going on, like Twitter conversations between reviewers as they reviewed the game. It's not just that I'm imagining that there's some kind of reviewer consensus thing that goes on, it's pretty well documented at this point.

News Comments > PC Brütal Legend Nears
7. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 17:06 PropheT

There's a soundtrack edition of the game, although it doesn't really say what the soundtrack comes with... I can't imagine it's the entire thing, since the game's soundtrack is huge and probably worth more than the cost of the game itself.

I liked this game a lot, but it's weird that it's coming out now. It's so old that I sold my original copy and re-bought it when I found it for $10 in a bargain bin a year ago.

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow
13. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 12:14 PropheT

I love this game, but for some reason when going back to it years later it made me so motion sick to play it that I couldn't last 5 minutes without wanting to hurl. I'm still tempted to try it again anyway :p  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched
21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 PropheT

siapnar wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:39:
Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure some people love this Aliens game.

I don't know. I like almost every game I play, and I've even had a little bit of fun with this one, but it really is as bad as people are saying it is.

I'd still ignore the game reviews for it, even though I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. I've only looked at a handful of reviews, but most were similar to the RPS review where he starts off by noting how the game has been savaged by reviews. What kind of reviewer reads what people think of a game before they play it and review it? Not that it made him/her wrong in this case, but still.

1969 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo