Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1971 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Tomb Raider Patched
12. Re: Tomb Raider Patched Mar 11, 2013, 13:04 PropheT

ochentay4 wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:08:
TR is comparable to Uncharted. Its shorter though.

It feels more like Batman:AA crossed with Tomb Raider than Uncharted to me, especially since there's a lot more exploration and time between fights than Uncharted has anywhere in the series.

None of the Uncharted games took me more than 8 hours to finish, either, and TR took me 17 according to my Steam profile.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
68. Re: Which free game? Mar 9, 2013, 20:02 PropheT

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 18:10:
Creston wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 17:53:
William Usher wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 14:57:
http://tinyurl.com/aufbgnu

http://tinyurl.com/b7dr6hm

HAHAHAHAHAA. So typically EA, fantastic. "Simcity UK: Fantastic Game! Worth Every Penny!"

They are so fucking pathetic.

Creston

ROFL !!!

Might be worth pointing out that SimCity UK is a fan site and not EA, so at least that second screenshot doesn't mean what you or the person responding to it thinks it does.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
29. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 7, 2013, 22:41 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 22:35:
This is really the kind of thing where people post "durrr Blues is so biased about EA" and you can just point to this whole episode and not even say another word.

I like to point out how people here hate on practically everything, but in this case I think it's been justified ever since they announced it. Blizzard announced the same thing, and it was worth seeing how it'd work out, but when that failed spectacularly in that first week it wasn't a tough prediction to see that this would be just as bad off...if not worse, considering the resources and companies involved and the lack of real world stress testing on server loads.

To me, that's the worst thing about this entire mess...that everyone knew it was coming and said so for months, but it still happened and maybe even worse than the doubters predicted it would. Maybe now that two high profile games have laid a big turd on their opening week with the always-online thing we can put the final nail in the coffin for this approach.

/edit for clarity, good lard I shouldn't post when distracted.

News Comments > Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity
33. Re: Amazon Stops Selling Digital SimCity Mar 7, 2013, 20:22 PropheT

nin wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 19:28:
Interesting. Did they stop selling WoW when it was blowing up after the launch?

Actually didn't WOW put a temporary hold on new accounts, when it first launched, due to huge demand? I thought they did, but I'm not finding the Blue's article on it...

They did stop selling the retail box for a short period of time, but that wasn't until a few months after it actually released (~3 if I recall, I forget). Guild Wars 2 did the same thing last year.

News Comments > GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound
21. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 12:14 PropheT

born2expire wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:04:
I can't belive Im the 18th comment and the first to mention all the damn QTE's. They completely ruin the game, it WOULD be a decent game without them, but I can't stand QTE's and there is just so many of them.

There aren't many of them at all. I'm getting to what has to be near the end of the game and I can count the times I've had to do a QTE on one hand. There are a few near the beginning and then they more or less just stop completely for the bulk of the game.

I have a 670 and turning off Tesselation completely stopped the crashing I was getting, although the game wouldn't start at all until I unchecked "exclusive fullscreen" in the options menu as well. Eventually had to turn off the TressFX hair, too, since the performance hit was pretty incredible with it turned on.

News Comments > EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment
3. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 6, 2013, 21:36 PropheT

And when I said all of our games, I of course only meant some of them and was misunderstood by the community. Yeah, that's it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2013, 16:28 PropheT

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 13:07:
Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:33:
Star Wars VII: The Retirement Home.

Creston
Chewie has lost his hair.
Luke can't get his saber up.
Han forgot where he parked his ship.

I think they're making a huge mistake forcing the old actors into the movie. Leave them in the old ones where they're awesome and will always be awesome, and make something new.

A new Star Wars, with a new story, with new characters.

News Comments > Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs
17. Re: Dishonored Named GotY at BAFTAs Mar 6, 2013, 16:02 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:46:
Quinn wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:03:
The best game award goes to a game that I concidered so dull, stale, boring and downright unentertaining -- while I ADORE the genre. And I speak for literally about 10 to 15 other gamers I spoke to about the game irl. Wtf. Europeans must have higher/different standards.

I can see saying it's not your cup of tea or disagreeing with it but delving into such extreme hyperbole is just outright trolling. There are a ton of great games that I simply don't care for, it does't mean they aren't good because I didn't like them. Euro game standards are just as poor as everywhere else in the world BTW Ears

Dishonored was the worst game I bought last year. The gameplay wasn't good, the story was outright bad right from the start of the game, the much talked-about influence the player has on the game is rendered irrelevant at the end if it ever existed in the first place, and so on. It wasn't great to look at, the story is forgettable and just bad throughout, the characters are terrible and the gameplay is dull.

I'm surprised there are people that really liked it. It's not just that I didn't like it, I honestly think it's a badly made game. My son warned me not to buy it, a kid who likes practically everything he plays, because he hated it and felt like he wasted his money when he bought it. It's not hyperbole, it just seems like it could be a polarizing game where you either hate it or love it.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
3. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 6, 2013, 00:04 PropheT

Yeah... it is neat, I played with it on for a while, and then I realized that I go from an average fps of about 31-32 with it on to 67-72 with it off.

Eesh.

Nvidia had a response on the GeForce boards that they only got the final code for TR this past weekend, though, and are working with Crystal Dynamics to get things working better asap.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Mar 5, 2013, 21:47 PropheT

These are the recommended drivers for Tomb Raider at the moment while Nvidia works on new ones to fix the performance issues/tesselation crash problems. They definitely help performance-wise, but don't do anything to fix the tesselation crash that apparent on at least the 600 series cards.  

News Comments > Morning Q&As
5. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 5, 2013, 19:44 PropheT

It seemed like more of a case of not wanting to bet all the chips on a single mammoth sized game when you can put down 2 smaller ones for the same price and development time.

Which is a fair point, I suppose, and seems to be the way a lot of the games industry is going right now.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 23:56 PropheT

Jerykk wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 18:32:
It seems like you guys haven't read any of the reviews yet. As expected, the reviews confirm that the platforming and puzzle-solving elements have been greatly simplified and are no longer the focus of the game. Combat is now the focus, as is the case for any game that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Personally, I would have gone the opposite route and removed the combat entirely. Nobody ever played TR for the combat. Nobody. However, they aren't trying to appeal to fans of the series. They're trying to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place, hence the shift in focus. These are the people giving the game the highest scores.

TR may still be a good game but a good Tomb Raider game? Not so much.

Out of curiousity, what was the last great Tomb Raider game, and why?

I get the impression that if they'd kept making more of the same there'd be a big collective "meh" going around, but instead there's people whining that it's different than a series practically everyone was bored with (but who are now suddenly huge fans of it). The combat was a fairly significant part of the other TR games, too, and I disagree that people played them just because they were really fans of pushing blocks about.

I don't think making the game into Portal minus a portal gun and sci-fi elements would have made for something worth playing. Given that current technology allows for nothing much newer than align the blocks, re-order the runes, direct the ray of light, or raise/lower the water puzzles, that doesn't even sound fun. When was the last time you saw a really original puzzle in a video game other than Portal and what its gun allows, and why would you want an entire game made out of them?

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 01:38 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:50:
I am not sure what made him post this though...it isn't exactly an Earth shattering revelation. Seems like it is more likely just to piss people off given the tone of the piece.

Dead Space 3 and its DLC, I'd imagine, since it's timely and relevant given that EA announced a few days ago that they'd put that sort of thing into everything from now on. It wasn't just a post out of nowhere.

He's also not telling people not to talk, either, he's saying to put their money where their mouth is. It's not exactly uncommon to see people complaining about DLC, complaining about the cost, complaining that they're being screwed, and then talking about the DLC again after it releases having clearly played it.

"God I hate McDonalds!" he said, as he shoved another handful of fries into his mouth. "They make people fat and they don't do anything to stop it!"

News Comments > Morning Q&As
16. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 1, 2013, 19:52 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:39:
Darks wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:35:

Okay, did I miss something about game workshop?
Why are they dickbags?

They're incredibly litigious and over aggressive about their IP. They sue fans, other companies and generally act like dicks about any perceived threat.

Most game companies like them seem to have the same problem, asshat legal departments and an inability to understand that the internet has changed since 1995. All GW would have to do to improve its situation is to stop living in the past and let their stuff get out there, everywhere, and sell it like anything else instead of jealously guarding a retail market for their own branded stores that are few and far between.

They make cool stuff, they just treat the gaming world and their product sales like it's 20 years ago.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 02:34 PropheT

The PS4 interface they showed at the reveal looked a lot like the current store you see on the PS3, which sort of reminds me of the ad-covered TV screens they had in Idiocracy.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 27, 2013, 20:40 PropheT

What a great set of stories.

But if the research is still being debated, with nothing definitive found, then why are so many scientists and pundits on both sides acting like we have a verdict?

Because if we keep looking and not finding anything after a decade or more of searching, then either it's not there or we're only finding it in specific cases because we're so focused and determined to find something that it's being created to say a result was there, however inconclusive...

..which, as the other story points out, may be because public opinion sways the argument by being so sure there must be something wrong; due in no small part to being repeatedly bombarded with the idea that there is a connection, despite there being no actual evidence.

It's like one side points at research to say there's not a major issue, then the other side makes them look again because gosh darn it, there must be a problem there, everyone already knows there is.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 27, 2013, 20:19 PropheT

I'd guess that people want it, they just can't afford to pay $200 or whatever ridiculous amount a month they charge to get it.

News Comments > AMD's Hair-Raising Tech
16. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 13:12 PropheT

wtf_man wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:06:
So, this is what they're concentrating on? Hair?

Sorry, I don't need Movie CG quality hair in my games to be immersed. I'd rather see a much higher quality FXAA (like TXAA) that works on any game engine without developers having to code anything, especially for the cruddy ports that don't have any AA options. Set it once in the drivers, and forget it. FXAA injection helps some... but it's still crap for the most part.

It's stuff like this that moves things forward, whether it's a plugin like Havok or SpeedTree or TressFX...it's things like this that start showing up in various games over time that make them more lifelike.

FXAA injection is just putting FXAA post processing effects where they weren't in the first place, so it's entirely dependent on the game whether or not this is even an issue. It's not the sort of thing you could just turn on in the drivers, it already is... if the software you're running supports what the drivers do.

And in this particular case, it might be worth pointing out that the PC version of Tomb Raider does have graphics options that aren't in the console counterparts (they've said increased tesselation, post-filter effects like what you're talking about so an injector wouldn't be necessary anyway, and so on). I'd also be more than willing to bet that people will notice a persistent physics effect in a game well before they'll differentiate between various post-processing methods in use in the graphics engine as long as it looks good either way.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 00:34 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 00:22:
Netflix: We’re Only Doing One Season Of Arrested Development. Thanks nin.

Watched all the eps on Amazon a while back....is that no longer possible? (Amazon Prime is awesome)

They're still there on Amazon; this is just talking about the new season that Netflix is going to have.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 26, 2013, 00:32 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 00:20:
Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:36:
The economy is likely to get worse so counting on increased sales, particularly at increased prices is pretty laughable right now.

All throughout time, entertainment is the 1 thing that stays constant no matter the economy. The idea is people need to have fun no matter what. They need that escape.

That's true to a point, but that doesn't mean video game sales are immune. Most indicators from the last couple of years would say it's not. A price increase is just as likely to send people to more easily attainable entertainment methods as it is to get people to spend the extra cash on games, anyway. People will always spend money on entertainment, but they won't dump money into luxury entertainment like video games when they're on a tight budget.

Trevellian wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 21:31:
I used to buy far more games during the Xbox/PS2 generation because they were 50 dollars.

I don't know that I bought far more games, personally, but I took a chance on a lot more games that I wasn't sure about. At $69, if they hit that mark, the odds of me buying anything that's not a sure bet while it's at or near that price are virtually zero.

1971 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo