Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2070 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
42. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 17:14 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 14:13:
Right, you don't need the most powerful hardware to be successful, just look at the Wii. That's the least of MS's problems right now.

The problem there is that the Wii stopped selling years before their more powerful competitors did, never sold as much software in the first place to match the system sales, and the Wii U has already come out for their next generation and hasn't exactly torn up the sales charts. If anything, the Wii is a good example of being able to sell a system based on a popular gimmick but that you need the more powerful hardware in order to drive software sales through an extended console generation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 12:14 PropheT

MUGWUMP wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 09:51:
Didn't read the story, but the title reminded me of my first experience with EverQuest compared to Wow etc.

I remember the first time I made the journey from Qeynos to Freeport. That was one of those gaming experiences I'll never forget. Fast forward a couple years and I remember losing a corpse in Plane of Fear for over a week. I was freaking out. Heh. Good times.

I usually think of the same thing whenever this subject comes up. Finding your way through the woods between Misty Thicket and the Commonlands in the dark was harrowing, and then once you passed the thicket you had to go through the gorge where you could crest a rise right into the face of what looked like a beholder...

I'm not sure if that's really difficulty, though, as much as that so many MMO's these days don't have any sense of exploration to them. There are no vast runs across varied areas; instead, there's tightly packed petting zoos full of level-appropriate quest creatures for you to fill bars with, and each one shuttles you to the next when finished so that you can stay on the guided walkway.

The magic of EQ wasn't that it was difficult or even that you could lose your corpse (which I hated, actually), but that you really could just start walking and find something new. It wasn't separated into specific compartments for you so that you always knew which one your level fit into, and even when you did find things that were your level there was almost always other places you could go anyway.

They had atmosphere. These days the idea of putting a level 50 griffon in a zone where level 10 people do things is insane, but I'm willing to bet that most of the people who played EQ still remember the one that flew around the commonlands near Freeport and the reactions of the people who were in the zone with them when it was around.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 23:20 PropheT

wtf_man wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 20:26:
Bottom line... PS4 has way more potential for better visuals... unfortunately we'll probably only see them in the exclusives, since the multi-platform titles will go for the lowest common denominator.

Maybe. I think the biggest factor is that if the new generation of consoles is anything like the current one it's not necessarily the exclusives that sell the system but which system plays the 3rd party games the best. The more that continues to be true the less reason there is for buying multiple consoles, too, which I'll be curious to see if that proves to be as true as I expect in this next generation.

Nintendo doesn't have them, and look at the Wii U sales. Older console generations were more focused on exclusive games than the 360 and PS3 are. A lot of the games that were better on 360 this generation were the ones that worked better on the 360; programming for it easier and made games perform better, online was better so shooters were more popular, etc...

Except those advantages are gone with the next generation. Sony is requiring Plus for multiplayer in order to offer the same thing that drew people to the 360 for those games in the current generation. The hardware architecture is the same, so there's no programming differences that will significantly have an effect on the games; so that leaves the hardware specs, and if it means that the 3rd party games are better on PS4 that's what will matter. PC gamers know pretty well that even games designed for the lowest common denominator, which are most of what we get from the major publishers these days, still have more favorable versions on better hardware.

The only way hardware specs are meaningless is if you say it's because games decide the war, which is true, but those games are better on whatever runs them the best.

News Comments > Steam Trading Cards Launch
20. Re: Steam Trading Cards Launch Jun 26, 2013, 19:40 PropheT

Closed Betas wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 18:25:
they are starting to lose customers in droves, im one who has left. So to help slow down the exit lane, they try and lock you in to shopping here, with this bs collecting crap.... its pretty sad....

Yeah, you can tell just by looking at the sales data that they don't release.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 25, 2013, 22:53 PropheT

I think it's odd that they ask if Bettman should get booed.

1) The answer is clearly yes and
2) He gets booed at every game he goes to. I've personally seen him booed twice before, and I think one of those was even a pre-season game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ride to Hell: Retribution
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Ride to Hell: Retribution Jun 25, 2013, 22:46 PropheT

It's nice to see that Jack Black's character from Brutal Legend and Kris Kristofferson are still getting acting work.  

News Comments > WoW Security Warning
9. Re: WoW Security Warning Jun 25, 2013, 16:38 PropheT

m00t wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 12:42:
What I don't know for sure is if the cookie is tied to a specific machine, made non-transferable by some technical method. (overcome if you use a custom login program because you just lie, but prevents it from being copied and used with the normal launcher)

My understanding is that it keeps an encrypted cookie (if that's the right term here I guess) locally stored to the machine, but the system still requires IP range verification in order to region lock the account. Even with the cookie stored locally the account still requires authentication if you move outside of the network range where you originally set the check file, so if you live in NY and someone tries to access your account from Oregon, for example, it doesn't matter if that cookie is there or not; it forces authentication for the account to confirm ownership.

Blizzard still denies that people with authenticators are getting accounts compromised, and just by the way the tool works it's hard to see how they're wrong. The only way I can see it not being secure is if you use the mobile auth on a jailbroken/non-rooted phone.

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 24, 2013, 23:29 PropheT

RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:39:
Sony: Most gamers "don't want to buy online right now."

They don't?? Hmm I wonder what the stats are for games sold on Steam per year vs retail console games? Maybe they don't I dunno.

Jim Sterling explains the difference between DD on consoles and PC.

It's kind of an annoying video, but it's accurate. There's a big difference between digital distribution on consoles and the PC.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins
15. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 24, 2013, 23:10 PropheT

Kawlisse wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 22:50:
heres an Idea ! Maybe you should stick to console gaming, if you ever wasted that much time to get a game going on at a lan.

I think Redmask already covered this about as nicely as possible, but seriously...prior to Steam this game was a f'ing nightmare to patch up to equivalent versions in order to play a LAN game. CoH is a great game, but its original patching system was easily one of the worst out there.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Jun 24, 2013, 17:05 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 10:41:
Does anyone actually still use Impulse? I refuse to give Gamestop a single fucking dime, even if the game on sale happens to be the best deal ever.

Creston

I tried it to buy Dead Space 3 when they had a big sale on it a few months back since I can't buy things on Origin due to some funky issue with it thinking I'm in another country than I am that I've never been able to fix.

The software to download was annoying. I bought it, but never actually got the game and then I wound up spending 40 minutes on hold to get through to someone to get a refund. I've really never seen anything like it; buy a game on Steam, you download it. Gamersgate you have to wait 10 minutes, I think, but at least there they make that clear when you buy a game. The Gamestop thing was telling me my game would be made available to me within 48 hours, which... eh. I'm buying a digital download of a game, I guess I don't expect to have to wait longer than if I buy a physical copy from Amazon.

The customer service guy I talked with was good, though, and they were helpful. It's too bad the rest of it was such a mess.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 24, 2013, 13:14 PropheT

Prez wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 12:34:
He is going to have tons of sympathy from a huge number of Americans - it's doubtful to my mind that he would be charged with treason, since that isn't what he commited by definition. He violated a legally-binding signed non-disclosure clause, but that isn't treason.

He wouldn't be, they're going to charge him with espionage if they get their hands on him. It's pretty much the same thing as Manning was charged with aside from the legal changes due to Manning being charged in the military where I don't think Snowden would be.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 24, 2013, 13:06 PropheT

Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 10:56:
Everyone looks like someone, I doubt they ripped off her likeness on purpose as Naughty Dog is a pretty reputable studio.

She looks just like her. She doesn't look anything like the girl that voiced her, either. I can't see how it couldn't be intentional, it's unmistakable.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 24, 2013, 13:00 PropheT

I thought it was terrible. The story is predictable, the controls are bad, and the blindly walk around pressing triangle until you find the little thing they want you to in order to continue annoys the hell out of me. I don't like stealth games, though, and this one doesn't even do it as well as games like Splinter Cell or Deus Ex but gets all kinds of perfect reviews because it was hyped up so much. I'd probably like watching someone else play it, but playing it myself is just not fun at all.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Ex-BioWare writer discusses... Jun 20, 2013, 21:36 PropheT

The Pyro wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 20:39:
That's generally not a good way to arrive at conclusion which is both satisfying for the audience and internally consistent.

It does explain how it wound up the way it did where it pleased virtually no one... they had no idea where they were going with it.

I guess the series does get compared to Battlestar a lot

News Comments > Deadpool Trailer
2. Re: Deadpool Trailer Jun 20, 2013, 16:43 PropheT

Might be different for the UK launch, Steam here (U.S.) still shows the 25th as the release date.  

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 20, 2013, 14:30 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 14:09:
Yeah, exactly. The PS4 has six different versions, each one tracked individually, with most of them in the top 10. Stupid article trying to make a horse race out of something that's obviously a slaughter. Clickbait.

If I'm not mistaken a number of them haven't actually been available in a while now, either, so they can't outsell something that is.

As to missing Christmas, the date on it shows December 31st because no release date has been set. Supply shortages might cause some to miss, but there isn't anything that's actually been set as far as a real shipping date yet to even know for sure.

News Comments > D&D: Neverwinter and Chronicles of Mystara Launch
10. Re: D&D: Neverwinter and Chronicles of Mystara Launch Jun 20, 2013, 14:27 PropheT

KS wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 14:18:
The classes seem like standard MMO classes -- "controlling wizard"? So this "love letter to both Dungeons & Dragons and MMO fans" abandons D&D and feeds us the old EverQuest tank/heal/dps model?

That was my disappointing first impression, too.

A love letter to D&D and MMO fans, nice! ...wait, what is this. These aren't even D&D classes. There's kind of nothing like logging on to a D&D game and not being able to find a class you really like when even the generic ones aren't covered particularly well. Not that the gameplay helped by making it interesting enough to care, it's one of the most bland and generic MMO's I've played and that's saying something. It reminds me of Star Trek Online if all you ever get to play is ground missions.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 19, 2013, 23:56 PropheT

robdot wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 20:37:
so, you have to go online on day one to download a patch, that will allow you to play offline.

Yep. Cue the Benny Hill music.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 19, 2013, 23:49 PropheT

It's a hard game to describe, really. It's a good game with some nagging issues, but if you go in with realistic expectations I can't see that you wouldn't get your money's worth out of it. The questing is interesting enough that you can play it as a single player game with other people around and still enjoy it. That might even be the best way to approach it, actually.

Even if you only play it for a month and then quit, at $15 that's what you'd get from most MMO's. If you play it pretty hardcore for a month you'll hit the main gripe with the game, and that's that it didn't have a ton of content when it came out; I'm not sure how much that's been fixed, but there's still plenty there if you're not looking for a 5-hour a day fix for years type of MMO.

News Comments > War of the Roses Guns of Burgundy Update
1. Re: War of the Roses Guns of Burgundy Update Jun 19, 2013, 23:43 PropheT

I had to re-read the headline twice since I kept seeing "War of the Roses Rons of Burgundy Update" and then a few more times when I started to read it in his news voice.  

2070 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo