Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1971 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
46. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 12:11 PropheT

Creston wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 10:57:
Fuck you, Jay Wilson. You're full of shit.

I'm usually for more of a diplomatic sentiment than that, but that's pretty much it right there.

There's no way this is honest. The game itself was clearly designed around the idea of people using the auction houses, you couldn't even really progress without them when it came out. Certain tiers of loot may as well have not even existed considering the difficulty of finding one for real instead of buying it on the AH...it's just impossible to believe they didn't know exactly what they were doing with this and how it was implemented.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 28, 2013, 19:31 PropheT

Anybody have one of these? How does it compare to something like the Roku or AppleTV?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 26, 2013, 23:50 PropheT

The internet's fine with Penny Arcade doing a kickstarter to fund a site that's already successful, and are happy to hop on board with other kickstarters that don't give clear indications as to what they're doing with the money past their initial goals (or even before them), but they jump on this one?

I'm not about to throw money at it, but aside from the things other people here mention it's just not that big of a deal. It seems like people are only angry about it because they found an easy target, not because something really wrong is happening.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
31. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 14:54 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 14:33:
What are the differences between the difficulties? I bought this but won't be able to play until the weekend so I want to be ready to go by then.

Normal is pretty easy. I don't know how far into the game I am, but I haven't died, or even really felt all that threatened despite quite a bit of combat. Normal is what I'd recommend for someone who has played shooters, but wants to see the story with just enough challenge to keep fighting interesting without slowing them down a great deal.

The game is fantastic, though, especially the first introduction to Columbia. I walked around and looked at things for a long time before really progressing anywhere, listening to music and seeing what people were saying and kind of falling in love with the place. And then the real game starts with a jarring gut punch that really lets you in on what you've been looking at in a way that really hasn't been in a game before this one.

I definitely don't want to give any spoilers, but with how big of a deal some media made out of the non-issues of things like same-sex relationships in ME3 I'll be curious to see what stories are written about this game, considering the sensitivity of some of the imagery it invokes. I didn't follow the game at all, so had no idea what to expect and was sort of surprised at how much it bothered me when I ran into it (in the emotional response to storytelling sort of way, not in the offended sense). It might be the first real unapologetic adult-oriented game I've played before.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
28. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 16:30 PropheT

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:24:
Playing Bioshock atm, bit of eh. Maybe it's because I've seen it all and the "shock" has warn off, which means, it's not a good game. Good games stand the test of time. Bioshock 2 seems more appealing atm.

I'm in the minority, I think, but I definitely enjoyed Bioshock 2 more than the first game.

Infinite looks great, but I'm kind of struggling with whether or not I want to pay full price for games anymore. A free copy of Xcom to give to my brother is a nice bonus, though (Steam pre-order deal).

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 12:00 PropheT

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:30:
Jordan sucked huh? Well I beg to differ, he was as good as Martin is.

For the first 4 books of the WoT series, maybe, but after that? You could literally skip two or three books and still read the next without feeling lost.

Then again, book 4 of Martin's series is completely forgettable at best. At least the fifth was better, if slow-paced at times; it felt like it was going somewhere. If he manages a 6th book that goes nowhere I might agree with you, but I don't see that happening. Unfortunately it's obvious it won't happen to a 7th book because we'll all either be dead or having our great grandchildren read it to us by the time it comes out.

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Announced
4. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Announced Mar 21, 2013, 15:56 PropheT

No way.

Here's my money, good sirs.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 20, 2013, 12:32 PropheT

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 12:01:
With the multiple ways there are to track someones movements in this day and age, I don't really see this as being a concern. Sure. This was a publicly available method but with a little more ingenuity you can still achieve the same effect if you really wanted to keep tabs on someone's movements. If anything, this may just be a way for the government to not be held liable if the data they track and make publicly available is used to facilitate a crime.

Secondly, why should a mayor, a public figure, be concerned about people tracking their movements? I'm pretty sure you could just call the Mayor's office and ask what functions they will be attending that day and achieve the same end result.

What I fear is governments making bans on companies, such as Google, making use of tracking data from their services to facilitate innovations like their self-driving car. Yeah, I can see sense in not giving the data out for free to the public, but don't ban it altogether.

I think all of that is answered by who requested the data at the end of the article. Companies like Datalytics shouldn't be able to use the local government to collect data for their company. It's not about keeping track of one individual, which you could do fairly easily anyway, it's private companies building entire neighborhood demographics and specially targeted data based on government information that was never intended for that purpose.

Basically, the government had a technological capability to track people and was giving the resulting information away to whoever asked for it. Ignoring the question of whether they should be doing it in the first place, that's still a worst case usage of that information and shouldn't have been happening at all.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2013, 03:38 PropheT

I wish I hadn't read that.

I'm so tired of gaming articles written about how terrible gaming is, written by people who clearly hate all of it. People piss and moan and cry and whine about these things endlessly, and yet somehow have still played all of it and either like to post everywhere that it was just as shitty as they thought it was going to be when they put in their credit card number, or create articles that only people who agree with them are ever going to read in the first place to complain about it.

The process to fixing this is a pretty simple 2-step:

1) Get sick of gaming and the way that companies sell games and DLC
2) Stop buying into it.

Except, you have to wonder if that hasn't already happened since we've been talking about this for years now... an entire generation of consoles has come and is soon to be gone and this has only magnified over time, meaning it's pretty clear that people are buying it. The war about DLC is already over, and the people writing articles like this already lost five years ago and don't seem to have realized it yet.

If gamers really agreed that DLC was an evil that needed to be squashed, was an affront to gaming like he says here, or that only idiots ever paid money after the initial game then we wouldn't even be talking about it anymore.

Hell, sometimes I wonder if I'm really starting to lose my enjoyment of games or if it's just that I get depressed about the hobby because of the poisonous atmosphere everywhere you go to read about it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2013, 12:41 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:38:
Many small sites have to take the publisher line otherwise they risk losing all access and potential ad revenue in the future. Not saying it's ok but I get it.

Also there is the possibility that they just disagree with others, however remote

I think it's more likely that they actually liked the game. Reviews coming out at this point are by sites that weren't provided review copies in the first place, something smaller sites don't often get.

It really hasn't gotten bad reviews, even from people who have just been playing it, just a lot of bad press for the online-only component causing so many problems. To be fair, I haven't played it, but it's not universally reviled aside from the connectivity issues.

EA buys review scores from some larger places, I don't doubt that. The idea that every good review score is bought, though, or that only the reviews that reinforce a negative opinion on the game are accurate...not sure what to say about that, other than to wonder why someone would even bother with a review when their mind is already made up.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Mar 15, 2013, 00:23 PropheT

I love his stuff, especially the Skyrim soundtrack, but that fundraiser is a good example of what I don't like about Kickstarters. What exactly is it funding? What's the difference between if they raise $50k or $100k or only manage $25k? Why should I chip in for $50 instead of the $15 it takes to just buy the CD, when no goals are set and no examples of what the funding is actually paying for are provided?

Just too many questions are there and I really, really hate the mentality of "I like this, so let's throw money at it" that so many projects seem to require in blind trust from backers.

News Comments > New Warhammer 40,000 TBS Game Planned
11. Re: New Warhammer 40,000 TBS Game Planned Mar 15, 2013, 00:15 PropheT

Wow coo...oh wait, Slitherine? Who's that?

(checks previous games library)

... oh, well.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2013, 15:13 PropheT

Well, maybe aside from the turd in the middle the rest of the sandwich is really good.

/shrug

News Comments > WoW Free Character Moves
3. Re: WoW Free Character Moves Mar 14, 2013, 15:11 PropheT

NKD wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:43:
It's hard to believe they haven't started server merges yet.

They did, sort of. CRZ (Cross Realm Zones) let you play in all the normal world zones with people from the same battlegroup, with only the new Pandaria zones being excluded. All the benefit of merges with none of the bad press.

On a side note, aren't those all PvP servers? And a couple of the low pop ones used to be extremely high population.

News Comments > Alice 3 Possibilities Raised
15. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 14, 2013, 15:07 PropheT

dheer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:17:
I guess I'm in the minority but I loved both Alice games. Madness Returns, while repetitive in some spots, felt like a solid step forward.

I'd back it on kickstarter, no doubt.

I really liked them both, too. The only complaint I'd have about the 2nd one is an odd gripe that it's too long.

I'd go in for a 3rd, but something tells me that if the interest was actually high enough to make it the likelihood of EA giving up the license would be slim to none.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
10. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:40 PropheT

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:14:
All his points are valid. I agree with pretty much everything he said. The CoD games are fun to play but they are shallow. And as you get older you get to the bottom of that shallow a lot faster then when you were younger and just needed the adrenaline rush. CoD is the modern day Unreal Tournament.

Yup. I really don't even play shooters online anymore, due in large part to everything being like CoD and the randomness removing the skill gap like he says.

I do actually still like UT, however, since it's probably the closest thing to Quake's MP since... Quake, I guess. I don't think I've really enjoyed online multiplayer shooters since Quake 1 and TF 1, though, so maybe that makes me odd in itself.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 13:37 PropheT

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:14:
Meh. WoW really shouldn't of been on there. Personally, it was one of the smoother launches that I ever participated in. Wait Queues were the only thing annoying that came to mind.

Loot lag, Captain Placeholder, server queues, server outages. You don't remember bending down to loot a corpse of something you killed and being stuck there for a couple of minutes because the database servers had to catch up? That didn't get fixed until well into spring of the year after WoW launched. The boats broke, and were eventually replaced with Captain Placeholder so that people could get across the sea. Queues were huge, and annoying isn't what I'd call them; they were 2-3 hours in length most days for months, making the game completely unplayable if you were a day-shift person who could only play at night. People were also finding ways to crash zones on a regular basis, causing "world server unavailable" problems if you were frequenting populated areas like Ironforge.

The number of MMO's with a good and clean launch can probably be counted on one hand, but WoW's problems extended for much of its first six months in existence.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2013, 19:14 PropheT

I feel like I should be surprised we still talk about this, but...

If you make the picture on a page, it's art.
If you write the story on a page, it's art.
If you join the two and make them move, and then let people interact with it... it stops being art?

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
87. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 19:01 PropheT

Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 18:29:
I'm surprised about all the news for this title. A crappy game usually gets a couple posts, and then it's gone for good. Why the extra news content for this failure of a game? Oh that's right, Blue is not a big fan of EA. lol

Same reason Diablo 3 still gets press; it's a big game, from a big name, that's a long-time staple of PC gaming and sells a lot on name alone.

At the very least, readers are getting what they want. Look at all the comments, we clearly love to complain about this stuff

News Comments > Tomb Raider Patched
24. Re: Tomb Raider Patched Mar 11, 2013, 17:59 PropheT

Jraptor59 wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 13:16:
This game also doesn't support SLI.

Use the newest beta drivers and the Hitman: Absolution SLI profile and it should work.

1971 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo