Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2073 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Beta Drivers
3. Re: New GeForce Beta Drivers Jul 18, 2013, 17:14 PropheT

These absolutely refuse to install on my system (GTX670, Win8x64). Just black screen hangs when installing the driver, have done system restores a few times to get it back and try again but nothing's working.

Had this same issue a few driver versions back, will be disappointed if they start happening again with the install packages.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > End of Nations Alpha Returns
2. Re: End of Nations Alpha Returns Jul 17, 2013, 22:27 PropheT

What ever happened to Rise of Nations? That game was great and the series just kind of disappeared after the weird fantasy sequel thingie.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2013, 22:25 PropheT

NBC News has a story about the amber alert in New York and a bit of an explanation about it, made me think of the OOtB when I saw the story.

Amber alert EMS story

It sounds like the kid is ok, too.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 17, 2013, 13:00 PropheT

I'm not sure what the point of going to all that trouble would be considering everyone you'd be sending it to would be replying through a normal carrier like Gmail anyway. It's a complete waste of time.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2013, 03:34 PropheT

It's like being a little kid and getting to go to the candy store, and when you get there they smile and tell you that you can have all you can carry for the change in your pocket.

Realistically, though, I don't really need much for reasoning beyond that the financial barrier that keeps me from trying some games gets removed for a week or two a year.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 16, 2013, 21:48 PropheT

Everything else aside, just the fact that even asking that question comes with any attached legitimacy at all means I don't want a Kinect in my house.

It's not really even them that I'm worried about, though. The potential for that sort of thing to be hacked or hijacked is more troublesome to me than the idea of the NSA finding out how boring I am.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 15, 2013, 19:15 PropheT

NeOCidE wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 15:48:
I can't be on my own when I say I much prefer the single player experience over and above the "social" experience.
Never used to be like that. I loved the old quake 3 and unreal tournament days, but those days are gone for me. Too many shit bags online now that ruin the experience.

Nope, you're definitely not alone. I'd rather play against bots even in the MP type games like CS:GO than play online anymore.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 17:44 PropheT

Maybe they could just make the XB1 case a little bigger and stick a PS4 inside instead.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 17:52 PropheT

Rhino wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 16:57:
Exactly what I was thinking of doing. I kind of ended up the same way as you in BL1, my boredom stemming from it being too easy, as well as repetitive though that bothered me less as I expected it. The two combined, though, was a killer for me.

Seeing as we seem to have similar tastes in that regard then I probably will.

Eh, I'd better ask: are you playing solo or multi, because I'm looking to play this solo.

I didn't care for Borderlands that much but Borderlands 2 was excellent. It pretty much fixed every complaint I had about the first one by adding a lot of character and story to the things that were just sort of there in the first one. It has a great antagonist, a guy you'll really want to kill by the end of the game, and a number of parts that are actually really funny instead of just trying to be.

I'd actually suggest picking up the season pass DLC along with the main game during the sale while it's cheap. The season pass for $10 adds a lot of stuff to the game, and most of it is really well done. I played 80-90% of the game solo and had a great time with it; True Vault Hunter mode on your 2nd play through is much more difficult if you're looking for a real challenge out of it.

BL2 with the season pass for $20 is a crazy good deal.

News Comments > Civilization V: Brave New World Demo
7. Re: Civilization V: Brave New World Demo Jul 11, 2013, 20:49 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:45:
Lots of good stuff

Mangled the quote for space, but you get the idea

It didn't seem likely that their cultural output was higher than the tourism, but that at least makes sense (maybe a temporary boost or something). I definitely wasn't complaining, it's just that the complexity of it requires a bit of time to get it all figured out and I haven't had enough to really dig into it.

I didn't know what the rearrangement of the works did, I'll have to check that out. I noticed the archaeology artifacts could be themed for particular civs but hadn't looked into why yet...that's good info.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

4. Re: Civilization V: Brave New World Demo Jul 11, 2013, 17:54 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:16:
In terms of a cultural victory, Tourism is your offense and Culture is your defense. Both of them contribute to a total score that accumulates throughout the entire match. When you generate a high enough Tourism score with another nation (there are modifiers that effect the rate for each other civ) that it overcomes their own Culture score, you are influential over them and they will say to you "Our people are buying your blue jeans and listening to your pop music... I worry the rest of the world will fall under the influence of your culture" blah blah blah.

The culture vs. tourism offense/defense I got, but there seems to be other factors that have an effect on how fast your tourism works toward influence with other civilizations. Sometimes you can be putting out +40 tourism against a civ that doesn't seem to have much for culture output, but it'll show as "falling" in the status. I think it might be a combination of trade routes, the type of artifacts held, social policies and ideologies, religion and so on making it a little harder to track just what the exact effects of your tourism output are on a particular civ.

It's less of a big deal if you discover all the other civs fairly early but on a big random map with lots of ocean you can be forced to try and micromanage it a bit with some civs to catch up late-game.

1. Re: Civilization V: Brave New World Demo Jul 11, 2013, 15:52 PropheT

I can't believe how much stuff this expansion added to the game...or how much longer it takes me to finish one since I got it :p

Really enjoying it, but the tourism vs. culture thing seems confusing on just what exactly is influencing the progress you make toward victory with it.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 11, 2013, 13:38 PropheT

Merlot C wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:14:
Sounds like Sonys "share" is nothing more than what has been present on the 360 for years. Nothing like the family share that MS had to cancel because of the whiners.

I really don't get people who are lamenting features like the family share because of "whiners" as if the complaints about the XB1 were unjustified. Hell, they didn't even tell you how much you would have been paying for that feature; the family plan MS previously had was canceled in the spring of this year to make room for whatever they planned on doing with it at the launch of the new console so for all you know they'd be charging a couple hundred a year for the plan and a service charge for every game you shared.

As a side note, you could share games like that on the PS3 as well. It wasn't exactly a Microsoft innovation.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2013, 23:40 PropheT

Alice is a good game, but sort of weird in that it's too long. I don't know how many games I like that I'd say that about, but it just would have been better if it were shorter.

Jerykk's review of it is pretty much spot on, in any case. It's a solid game for $5.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 10, 2013, 22:19 PropheT

If AT&T and Verizon weren't making that money from the government you can bet people would be reporting "wiretap convenience fees" on their monthly bills instead  

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 15:26 PropheT

""A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty."

More like intelligent gamers were able to see it for what it was, and that the idea that it was a new wave of gaming that was actually good for us was all just BS.

Steam for Xbox would require competitors, and there would be none. End of story, thanks for playing, nothing else to even talk about. The idea of trading, sharing and selling the games didn't even come from Microsoft, it came from the guy who claimed to be a developer that posted the long-winded rant against gamers not falling in love with the idea after Microsoft changed their tune about the DRM a while back.

News Comments > World of Warcraft PTR Updated - Microtransactions Confirmed
10. Re: World of Warcraft PTR Updated - Microtransactions Confirmed Jul 9, 2013, 12:28 PropheT

Dagnamit wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:11:
Why would Blizzard go to a F2P model when subs are still pulling in $100 million+ per month?

They aren't and they never have been, although people throw that out there really often. The majority of their players aren't in a market that pays $15 a month to play; NA+EU numbers are more like around 3-3.5 million and have been dropping. The majority of active accounts in the game are in Asia and aren't paying a $15 a month fee to play the game.

They'd go free to play because they're bleeding subscribers this year, projected that they would continue to do so in their last earnings statement. F2P, like it or not, would revitalize the game with new players.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 16:09 PropheT

Prez wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 15:36:
I was confused by this arfticle. Amazon is the best thing to happen to books since the printing press. Publishers can fuck off and die; they are longer needed, and they've never been wanted.

That pretty much covers it.

Publishers have often been an obstacle to getting work published rather than a facilitator, especially in the age of target demographics and megamarketing. Their going away isn't just good for authors but it's good for readers, too, in that we get stories in their intended form rather than a great premise watered down to move more units.

The downside is that you have to weed through the crap to find the gems, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: The U.S. is Creating a Massive New Cable Broadband Monopoly. Jul 5, 2013, 22:53 PropheT

LittleMe wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 22:02:
One user comment made me lol, complaining that regulation was needed. He/she is forgetting that regulation is exactly what got us into this mess. The duopoly IS market regulation.

That sort of glosses over the issue a bit I think. The reason the companies are changing like this is because government subsidies of the landlines are going away by 2020 under the funding from the USF and instead the subsidies are going toward mobiles. There's a small amount, relatively, going toward wireless broadband, but it's only applicable in areas where providers refuse to cover otherwise.

It's not as if deregulation is going to fix this rather than make it worse. Some of these programs are the only reason non-urban areas even have internet access in the first place; the problem is that there's no regulation protecting the consumers in those areas from the companies that own the lines that we paid to build for them. We build the infrastructure in many cases, they charge us to use it, and make money from the government and from renting out those lines to anyone crazy enough to sell us actual services so the prices rise even more while quality suffers.

Hell, outside of urban areas there isn't and hasn't been competition for as long as broadband has existed. DSL has been a bundled service as long as it has been in the town where I live, and in a city of about 2000 people not too far from here the only broadband access available is the shitty access the phone company has, because it's owned by the city and they won't allow any competition to even start there. I'm lucky to have the 30mbps service I have here...for $20 a month more than the same service would cost me in the nearest large city, and even though that's 100,000+ people they barely have any more competition than I have here in a town of 2400. It's just a different pair of companies.

tl;dr: Sad truth is that companies aren't going to do right by consumers in a lot of areas unless they're made to.

News Comments > WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts?
20. Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 17:49 PropheT

Trevellian wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 15:12:
But on the TBC issue he is correct. The way raids worked in TBC was the way it should have been done. Complete 1 raid to get attuned for the next raid. It's called progression. It wasn't tedious.

Whereas where they went after that was the "Invite everyone and his brother who has never played the game to the highest raid currently in game" as well as "Queueing for dummies"

My glasses are not rose colored. I quit the game after it was obvious they were making it a casual experience.

There is literally zero point in devoting the resources gained from everyone's monthly fee to content that only 5-10% of the people playing will ever use.

2073 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo