Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2155 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2013, 12:05 PropheT

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 11:37:
A photo of a surface will give you a diffuse texture. You still need specular, normal, bump and countless others to approximate the appearance of a "photoreal" surface. Good luck doing that without expensive teams of artists.

There are already cameras that can integrate some of those effects into digital pictures. Hell, the Kinect can sort of do basic texture mapping with the imaging it does and that's a fairly inexpensive consumer-end device. It's coming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2013, 14:21 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 11:28:
All of the games were actually very strange. All 3 weeks this year have been odd and I am sure someone is making a ton of money in Vegas, and the majority of people are losing a ton. Miami is 3-0 WTF!?

Yeah, it's been nuts. Miami is 3-0. The Lions are 3-0. The Vikings, Giants, and Pittsburgh are all 0-3. San Fran is 1-2, they're worse than the Jets right now. It's like football bizarro-world...even if the Vikings are a question mark with Ponder, losing to the Lions (even if they're better than they used to be) and the Browns in the first three weeks is....well.

I'm glad the site issues are taken care of, way too many sites over the years have disappeared on me with just a blip like that

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 17:32 PropheT

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:56:
Quite honestly, if anything, video games are (in general and on the whole) good for a modern, developing mind.

Maybe that's true, but is there evidence to support that, either?

When talking about violent games, it's hard to say. There really haven't been unbiased independent studies done to any degree that a conclusion can be made. It's why I dislike the article pointing at Bushman's report and using that as their only example of their headline; it's a report that's been rebuffed far and wide by everyone but people who are using it as a hammer to drive a point that they reached before they really looked at the facts...something Bushman's been doing for years without the research you'd expect to back up a crusade like that, and it's one that only gets credence because of his profession even though his conclusions are often seemingly met before any research is done to corroborate them.

Gamers react to pieces like this not by saying, like she does, that since I didn't do it then it can't be true. It's that pointing to a game like World of Warcraft, that's been used in articles like the one in the Daily Mirror recently about violent games, you're looking at a population sampling larger than dozens of entire countries and then extrapolating results based on a handful of individuals. They point at WoW because Breivik is a nutbag mass-murderer, and use the game for blame, when the population of the game is larger than the population of the country he was from and there's no evidence whatsoever of WoW players being more violent than anyone else.

To make a short story long, there's not enough evidence to make a specific determination but there's enough anecdotal evidence that you can draw some educated assumptions. It's nothing like climate change, in research, conclusion, or even response. Not that anyone here didn't already know that, I guess.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2013, 14:40 PropheT

I don't know how she figured video game violence studies are conclusive or even that there's a consensus on it when the only source study she mentioned is the same stupid Bushman study that has holes in it that have been repeatedly pointed out for the last twelve years (read A&M's Chris Ferguson's breakdown of it, for example).

There's a big f'n difference between denying the research that's there and saying there's no established proof of a link.

News Comments > State of Decay Early Access Tomorrow
1. Re: State of Decay Early Access Tomorrow Sep 19, 2013, 22:50 PropheT

I'm really not a fan of the pay me now and we'll finish it later approach, but that's sort of how it was on the 360, too, and it was fun there.  

News Comments > SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced
7. Re: SimCity Cities of Tomorrow Announced Sep 19, 2013, 22:48 PropheT

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:56:
Wouldn't a better title be "SimCities of Tomorrow"?

Or "SimCities: Servers will be up Tomorrow" maybe.

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
44. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:44 PropheT

Closed Betas wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 20:25:
I mean, what the fuck are you smoking trying to defend this communist bullshit?

Closed Betas wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 20:27:
using communism

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
17. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 16:06 PropheT

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 14:39:
Good luck with that. Your lawyers will enjoy getting their ass handed to them in court, I'm sure.

Businesses have the right to refuse service. If they don't want those people as customers, they don't have to serve them as long as it's not discriminatory (unless assholes are a protected group, I'm not a lawyer).

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 19, 2013, 12:39 PropheT

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 12:04:
"BRING ME MY BROWN PANTS!!!"

ARRRRR!

Puke and Snot? They tell that joke every year at the MN Renaissance Festival, and even though I think I've seen it probably 20 times it's still funny when they do it.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Ends in December
9. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 18, 2013, 23:20 PropheT

Frijoles wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 22:42:
Can't believe it's been 8 years and that they held on for that long.

Probably can't believe it because it hasn't been. It came out in 2008.

atomicfro wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 22:08:
I really loved that game. First two months of release was the best open world role play pvp I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, no one resubbed and the game languished.

I loved it. Still do, honestly, but I think people have known it was going to die for a while now. Hell, I went back to try and play it again when I was really bored a couple of weeks ago and the link to the account sign in page on the launcher didn't work anymore to resub :p

I think I even posted that here a little while ago when I found out they stopped selling 6-month passes back in June.

News Comments > iFruit Yields PC GTA5 Clues
11. Re: iFruit Yields PC GTA5 Clues Sep 18, 2013, 14:56 PropheT

This must have been from before they canceled it after the petition.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 17, 2013, 21:25 PropheT

It's on Fox's site but it's an AP report, which means you'll see it all over the place.  

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year
23. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 17, 2013, 16:12 PropheT

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 15:21:
My thoughts too. I have not used the RMAH so I don't know why people cheer its shutdown (why was it bad?). The problem with Diablo III for me is the online requirement.

The biggest problem with the auction house is that it acted as an override for having a loot system in game that allowed you to effectively find what you would use just by playing, rather than farming for resources to go buy it from the auction house instead.

This is a pretty good move, although I'd imagine there will be a brief and furious uproar about it on Blizzard's forums. I don't know that it fixes my major gripes about the game, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt at all. I guess they got the hint when reviewers started to declare the console version the best version because of its lack of AH.

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
13. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 21:59 PropheT

Enahs wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 20:46:
Despite the interweb people screaming how bad Win 8 is, and how doomed Microsoft is, they continue to report profit (including the Windows division). Win 8 is selling decently well, enough to be profitable, which is great considering there is no actual reason to upgrade to Win 8. And again, Win 8 added a lot of great things.

I think all the Microsoft naysayers really should look at the facts and not the hyperbole spit out about Microsoft on the internet. No they are not perfect. And yes, it is human nature to root against the big man and for the underdog. But open your eyes people!

The point that most people are trying to make is that Microsoft is vulnerable right now more than any time since 1995 to having an actual competitor capable of taking a good bite out of their market.

They just have to have someone actually do it, which is yet to materialize, unfortunately, because if no one does -and- Microsoft tanks we could actually see the real death of the platform that everyone has loved to preemptively foretell for the last ten years.

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2013, 14:59 PropheT

Verno wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 14:57:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 14:15:
I canceled and requested a refund. F them. Never will spend money on PSN again. There is no way 1 million+ people can download the game on the 17th and play it. "Day 1 Digital" is a fucking joke.

It was Rockstar's screw up though wasn't it? Day 1 Digital is exactly what it says - day 1 digital download, not a preload service. For what it's worth I've had no problems with the PSN infrastructure in the past few years and there have been several big releases. Retail still seems to be the preferred method for consoles.

Thankfully both consoles are doing the whole "play as you download" thing in the future.

I think something had been planned to allow preload but Rockstar threw a fit and made them change the release plans because of the leak that happened a month ago or so, or whenever it was.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 14, 2013, 00:01 PropheT

If you read Fox News, CNN, NBC or any of the other news sites in between right now it'll become immediately apparent that gossip hasn't gone anywhere, it's just that we're calling it news now instead.  

News Comments > BattleForge Closing After Next Month
5. Re: BattleForge Closing After Next Month Sep 7, 2013, 13:00 PropheT

NKD wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 11:55:
How many truly fantastic games are forever gone because they required an online infrastructure which was shut down? I can't think of even one off the top of my head. Maybe with more thought...

City of Heroes.

I'm having trouble thinking of another one, though I expect Warhammer Online is on the chopping block before too long here (and I don't know how many people would agree with me that it was great).

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2013, 13:23 PropheT

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 10:49:
So wait, all of that crap about how Kinect was a loss leader thing for them was pure bullshit? They aren't even losing money on the launch unit, hahaha give me a break.

Well, they said they'd break even on the console. The Reddit AMA said the Kinect cost nearly as much as the console to produce, so it's probably just marketing speak in that they'll break even on the console and sell the Kinect at a loss even though they come in the same package.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 13:15 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 13:06:
There is no such thing as free speech. There is protected speech. Big difference. I'll never understand the mentality of these self-entitled 'It's America so I can do whatever the fuck I want and fuck personal responsibility!' attitude. Krahulik needs a severe beating. Like a year in a hospital, major surgeries, crippled for life kind of beating. Then he might just realize there are consequences to actions.

I've got to be honest, when I see a post like that it makes me wonder why I'd ever want to be part of the same community it comes out of.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2013, 23:27 PropheT

beigemore wrote on Sep 5, 2013, 23:10:
I've happily moved on to board games.

Yeah but the stories there aren't any better, unless Battleship's story just wasn't done any justice with the movie.

2155 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo