Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2287 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > HATRED Preorders
13. Re: HATRED Preorders Jan 29, 2015, 23:37 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 22:43:
But as he explains, there are no innocents just the weak. And from reading BN's comments over the years, many posters would agree. Good news. Fake as silicon tits.

Not following you here. "No innocents, only the weak" is because he's a psychopath, and the rest I'm not sure who BN is or what you mean.

/edit: Blue's News? Going to disagree with it then, if that's what you meant.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 29, 2015, 20:41 PropheT

I guess I no longer have broadband.

The only "upgrade" that's been done in recent years is the move to metered service and caps meant to improve the quality by reducing the amount that I'm able to use it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 16:06 PropheT

yuastnav wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 14:42:
I don't understand why most people think that AIs will try to conquer humanity anyway.

That's not necessarily the concern, although it's certainly a possibility in a world where a very likely AI application would be to remove casualty risk from human combatants. Governments are already acknowledging that by trying to curb or outlaw adaptive computer-controlled weaponized drones because they're a near-future reality.

Other issues arise because this:

Pigeon wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 13:50:
Well by the time we have to worry about Super Intelligent AI, the middle class will have collapsed and human labor will be so cheap the machines will hire people to do the jobs they don't want to. Today's theoretical future threats are tomorrows job providers.

...is the reality of things is AI controls become ubiquitous. How many jobs could be replaced in the blink of an eye once AI's are advanced enough to do those tasks instead?

The problem isn't so much that humanity will be wiped out by AI, it's the massive rapid change potential with the introduction of AI. Entire job sectors could be replaced almost overnight with AI controlled manufacture and distribution, and current government structures don't support that type of rapid economic change in our working populace. There's a sort of ripple effect that would cause any number of social or economic problems that would cause more damage than Skynet starting to shoot at us.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 12:23 PropheT

Gates didn't really suggest that everyone should be concerned, he said "some" people, which was probably in reference to Eric Horvitz from Microsoft saying yesterday that there was no reason to worry.

It's a reasonable concern, we're not that far off... and I'd rather the focus be on responsible creation and forethought on the process instead of a bunch of start-ups racing to be the first to create without properly preparing for what comes afterward.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
13. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 00:11 PropheT

Well, this thread has been hilarious.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
24. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 13:33 PropheT

This isn't new. I'm not familiar with Kinguin, but G2A has had this happen to their customers before with other games. I ran across them when shopping for something about a year ago and decided against spending money there because a quick google search on them showed quite a few people on different forums talking about getting taken.

If those sites aren't as sketchy as they seem they'll give their customers their money back for selling them bad or stolen keys, or get them the legit one they were supposed to sell in the first place.

News Comments > Into the Black
23. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2015, 03:22 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 02:39:
There is no way a remake can capture the essence of the original movie, not even if they brought the original cast back.

I don't think they can either, but maybe they went this route because they know that too. I'd say it's not really a teen/tween kind of cast, though, either.

At least it's different and not just trying to recreate the old movie with a new cast... assuming it's not just a straight remake with women instead, that is.

17. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2015, 00:29 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 21:16:
And Chris Rock ragging on whitey again. That guy's a major fucking racist himself and never gets called on his shit. I'm so sick of these double standards and hypocrisy.

He's right in that article, though. The only movies you see a black guy cast in he's either cast as the black guy, or it's a movie made specifically for black audiences. It's pretty rare that you see black actors cast into roles because they're great actors rather than because casting just called for someone who's black (and then they pick from the usual 5 or so names after that anyway).

The same can be said for pretty much anybody who's not white, name 5 asian actors cast in major roles in a non-martial arts movie. Or hell, name 5 asian actors who regularly appear in Hollywood movies.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 27, 2015, 23:55 PropheT

Rattlehead wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 19:29:
I wouldn't call myself a video game addict, but I have wasted way too much time of my youth playing video games instead of doing more productive things like socializing and sports.

The funny thing is, the time I spent figuring out computer stuff to get games working as a kid translated into the skills I used for my last 18 years of work or so. The time I spent hanging out and playing sports was all wasted in comparison (not that I wish I'd done less of that, either).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 27, 2015, 17:46 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 16:55:
If it entertains me, mission accomplished.

Same way for me. I didn't think it looked too bad, although it didn't show enough to really say for sure.

Fantastic Four are either cheesy or extra cheesy in a very late-60's way without a lot of middle ground. If they can pull off a good hero movie without having them feel that way then I guess I don't care much if they're just like comics.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 27, 2015, 17:40 PropheT

Well, shit.

This isn't exactly what I was hoping for, although not that it matters since it doesn't sound like it'll ever come here anyway. I love Dragon's Dogma, I was really hoping for a DD2... I can't be the only person that's kind of tired of online multiplayer everything making solid single-player focused games so rare.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 21:15 PropheT

Am I missing something, or does that list of things she spent the money on mostly include things she was paid to do by other people instead?

Media appearances and awards aren't exactly part of what that kickstarter was funding unless I missed something, and since funding investments or charity to create her business is against their TOS I can't imagine there's anyone that thinks that all that money they put in was just for nothing more than two shitty YouTube videos.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2015, 21:14 PropheT

Barton-Rush Act of 2006
In 2006 Barton partnered with Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL) to create the Communications Opportunity Promotion and Enhancement Act of 2006. The COPE Act or "Barton-Rush" bill would allow major telephone companies to compete with cable television companies. It has also been widely critized for making net neutrality impossible, which could possibly lead to a multi-tiered Internet where some websites would move and load faster if they pay an additional fee to providers like Verizon and Comcast.[21]

The leading proponents of the COPE Act have been Verizon, Comcast, SBC Communications, Time Warner, and AT&T. Barton has a potential conflict of interest in that he stands to profit if SBC Communications makes money off of this bill, which it most likely will. Barton owns between $1,000 and $15,000 of dividends in SBC Communications according to his 2004 personal financial disclosure forms.[22]

SBC Communications is also Barton's 10th highest career donor having given Barton $51,109 since 1989.[23] For the 2006 election cycle Barton is the 14th highest recipient of money from the telecom industry.[24]

From here.

So yeah, there you go. The guy making the Republican case for enforcing net neutrality rules and denying that there's any kind of monopoly or any regulation needed is a guy with a pretty strong history of campaign contributions and voting against net neutrality.

The leading proponents of the COPE Act have been Verizon, Comcast, SBC Communications, Time Warner, and AT&T. Barton has a potential conflict of interest in that he stands to profit if SBC Communications makes money off of this bill, which it most likely will. Barton owns between $1,000 and $15,000 of dividends in SBC Communications according to his 2004 personal financial disclosure forms.

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
55. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 15:18 PropheT

Flatline wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 13:39:
It is a lot of fun. Comms is meh but it's an interesting team building exercise.

My best friend's gaming group got together and had a go with it, and they said it was great and had a lot of fun. Never got a chance to try it myself, unfortunately :/

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 21, 2015, 12:59 PropheT

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 11:32:
Other good chair companies are HumanScale and Steelcase.

I got a Steelcase Criterion just like the one I used at my last job for home use.

Paid a whole $5 at a Salvation Army for it, just had to clean it up and replace a bad wheel and it was good as new. Places like that are worth a look for anyone trying to find a good chair locally, since they're so ridiculously expensive to ship anywhere they don't tend to move very fast on Ebay when they get sold.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences
26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisitions Patch to Fix Awkward Silences Jan 21, 2015, 00:32 PropheT

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 15:37:
The lack of any of my choices actually mattering at the end kinda got me and killed my desire for a second play through. I miss the Bioware that made Dragon Age: Origins.

This guy has a pretty good write up that I agree with: http://johnswritersblock.com/2014/12/02/ending-dragonage-inquisition/

Play it again and you might notice how much of an effect your decisions actually made.

He wrote:
And speaking of character approval, I never once saw a character’s approval rating come into play. It was a thing that might as well never have existed. Nor did any of the character’s side quests ever come to affect the ending or even the characters themselves.

Which I can't even comprehend. There's no way not to notice the differences; it affects every conversation you have with them, it affects their tarot card, it affects their ambient dialog... it doesn't have the binary light/dark effect that you had in KOTOR but that's a good thing. Things that seem like every day dialog options you have early in the game affect conversations you're having hours and hours later, and relationships with the characters are no different. I don't think they need to force feed some kind of pass/fail system into it to dumb it down so that you know if your companions are maxed on liking you.

The entire choices having no consequences thing is horseshit, too, for the same reason. It's woven into the story and presentation well enough that it might not seem like it matters, but making choices (even like an answer to if you believe in the maker or not early on) affects conversations later, which affects how other conversations go later, and so on... You won't get the same experience in a second game if you answer questions differently.

I guess I prefer a dynamic experience progressing through the game to a meaningless end screen that recaps choices. People get mad when games are dumbed down and spoon feeding the player, but when they don't do it.... just, eh.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2015, 15:27 PropheT

Remember around week 2 or 3 there were articles all over saying Brady was finally washed up and the Patriots were over, never to see the success they had in the past?

I don't even like the Patriots but I hope they stomp the Seahawks. Hopefully it's a better Superbowl than last year no matter what happens...not that it could be worse. Last year's was one of the most boring games I've ever seen.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2015, 12:32 PropheT

Ludomancer wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 12:16:
Who the fuck knows what that app did to your machine.

Nothing. We used Superantispyware at work for years. There's nothing wrong with it aside from being fairly slow, it worked as well as Malwarebytes did. Malwarebytes was faster, though if a system needed a cleanup I usually ran both since they each found things the other didn't in quite a few cases.

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
42. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 12:26 PropheT

Ludomancer wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 12:05:
I'd still be happily using winNT if MS just didn't let it go extinct. Someone tell me now: What's been introduced since NT that couldn't have been done so in a patch?

Pretty much the entire core of the OS, including the ability to patch segments of it that would have required a complete reinstall on NT.

NT wasn't a good gaming OS even when it was current.

10. Re: Into the Black Jan 13, 2015, 21:36 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 19:35:
No, in interviews he says it's generational. That younger viewers prefer the new trilogy while older viewers prefer the original trilogy and are too nostalgia-fueled to accept the original.

That seems dismissive of the idea that the maybe movies are actually just plain bad. Otherwise good actors aren't good actors in the prequels, the dialog is stilted when it's not outright stupid, and he made one of the most iconic characters in all of film history into a whiny douche.

I like Liam Neeson and his character in the first because he's about the only character that really seems like a Jedi in the whole trilogy. The lightsaber battle at the end is fantastic, too. The second and third movies revolve around a romance that just plain doesn't work and a sort of bastardization of the characters that devolves them into a spoiled child and the only woman in the series dying from... I don't even know why, and then the "Noooo" shout that wouldn't have been out of place in a parody done by The Onion.

It just seems so derisive to put all of it on the shoulders of people who love Star Wars, and while maybe he accepts some criticism it also makes it seem like he takes no responsibility for any of it. That's why I'm glad he's not making the new one, more than anything, since he won't learn from mistakes he doesn't even acknowledge making.

/edit for clarity.

2287 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo