Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2188 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2014, 16:35 PropheT

Civ finally coming this next week  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 11:52 PropheT

BitWraith wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 10:14:
I was under the impression GamerGate was about Quinn sleeping with journalists, and journalistic integrity overall? Did I miss something? When did it become about feminism?

The message changed when it was taken over as a Twitter hashtag and used to encompass the entire Sarkeesian thing instead of gaming journalism. I'm fairly convinced that by this point it's just everyday internet assholery that really has nothing to do with gaming, or Gamergate, other than having the #Gamergate tag attached to it on Twitter.

It seems to me that people who were concerned about gaming and games journalism abandoned all this a while ago already.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 16, 2014, 11:43 PropheT

Human Resources Kickstarter page

Kind of an interesting RTS take by the guys who made Monday Night Combat and Planetary Annihilation. The video makes it look pretty neat; not Ground Control, but in the same vein I suppose.

News Comments > etc., etc.
17. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2014, 02:17 PropheT

saluk wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 22:22:
These threats aren't fake. So many women with any kind of platform get these things all the time.

Anyone with a controversial and/or public platform does, not just women...wasn't too long ago that the hacker group called in a bomb threat to John Smedley's plane, which could be pointed at as another gamer-related incident even though I doubt many actual gamers would want to claim those assholes as their own.

9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 14, 2014, 22:01 PropheT

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 21:35:
I still don't get what some less than moral girls sex life has to do with gamergate. #Gamergate was the response to the massive swell of unprofessional opinion pieces pushed into the news feed without declaration (as happened on Gamasutra, which they now try to retcon by claiming it was an editorial.. except when the chief editor puts a news piece on the front page, that is NOT an OPED, that is site stance aka, opinionated news)

Some dicks that really aren't even related to gaming or gamers or the actual concerns of the issue anyway hijacked the tag on Twitter to use it for their dumbassery-laden tirades against Sarkeesian, and she's more or less embraced it as fuel for her crusade because there's no better way to make her point than to be a victim. The morons doing it apparently haven't realized that they're almost exclusively responsible for keeping her relevant.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 10:39 PropheT

The Civil War storyline was great in the comics, it should be pretty good for the movies. Not sure people will like how it ends, though, unless they change something up.  

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 13, 2014, 19:20 PropheT

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 18:40:
All this shit that Paul W.S. Anderson worked on tarnished the series more than anything ever could have so I hope it's a clean reboot rather than build on whatever the hell they have planned for the, what, sixth movie or something?

To be fair, this is a series starring Jill the Master of Unlocking, BARRRRRYYYY!!!, a boulder-punching Chris Redfield and so on. It's not like it's even sort of fantastic story material that they're starting with in the first place.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
15. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 20:54 PropheT

JeffD wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 18:56:
FF13 is far from being one of the worst FF games. I found it quite enjoyable and I liked the fighting style more then I probably should. IMO micromanaging 5+ classes is just tedious.

I don't think it's far from being one of the worst; I think it's easily THE worst, hands down.

The story isn't particularly good and really goes nowhere (I really don't remember 99% of it even though I finished the game). The characters are either flat or completely unlikable. The first half of the game is dominated by a Press A to Win design, while the latter half is mired in the terrible paradigm system making even random encounters a chore.

I honestly cannot possibly comprehend how managing the paradigm system is preferable by anyone to multiple classes in any way, shape, or form. You're still dealing with that in a certain respect anyway, because of the strengths and weaknesses of your party making certain paradigms more desirable for that character.

The game gets a lot of hate, but this is one case where I think it actually gets less than it deserves.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
31. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 03:33 PropheT

I'm too tired to google it at the moment, but I'm fairly certain this isn't the first time they've done this. I vaguely remember a story similar to this from a few years back for another one of their games.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
30. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 18:47 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 15:31:
We've been so conditioned to higher resolution is better, but I don't think that's wholly true anymore. I think that, for a TV you're not close to, resolution is no longer nearly as important a way to judge the value of a game.

Looking at a video on YouTube at 720p like the links you had default to doesn't really show the whole picture either, though. I agree that it doesn't matter much on a normal TV at a typical distance, at least from just a purely visual standpoint when looking at the end result.

The real issue is that if the resolution needs to be dropped to maintain a playable frame rate, then you tend to be looking at other performance-related issues that will arise as a result of that difference in power that creates the disparity that requires the resolution to be lowered on that system in the first place. It's pretty rare that just the resolution needs to be tweaked in order to affect a steady frame rate where there wasn't one before, since that's just the fastest way to cover up performance issues that you can't resolve another, better way.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 6, 2014, 15:25 PropheT

Shineyguy wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 09:54:
Yeah I don't enjoy the Crucible. Yes they level the playing field by matching player levels, but it still is unbalanced due to players with higher levels having better gear/more skills.

That's not any different if you're the same level as them and have the gear. I have two high level characters and on the rare instances that I actually go into the crucible I die as fast as if I wasn't high level with good gear.

It's pretty well balanced, it's just adopted the mortality rate of Call of Duty... and, well, fuck that. I miss games like Quake where you could have actual fights that involved some skill rather than every single encounter coming down to who gets the drop on who.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Oct 6, 2014, 15:21 PropheT

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:46:
I don't know why but I've been getting a feeling to reinstall the game and see how much it has changed

It really hasn't. There's the F2P BS, but you really need an account anyway (I couldn't even get at my characters, or even delete one of my originals to start a new one, when I went back to play it without re-subbing). If you didn't like it then you won't like it now, either.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Oct 2, 2014, 20:06 PropheT

Still looks good to me. I'd rather play the game for what it is than harp on what it isn't and be disappointed before I ever even start it up.  

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 1, 2014, 16:32 PropheT

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 13:22:
PropheT wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 11:34:
There was a thread yesterday that refuted the claims that the "insider" made, or even that they were an insider, and the community manager said it was pretty much just BS.

Duh. What else is he supposed to do? Admit it's all true?

Obviously something happened because the story is a mess at best, but if I were to guess it's because they had to cut content to shoehorn the game onto the old consoles rather than because their writer left that late in the production.

The game isn't a hot mess like one that fell apart in development like Too Human or anything, it just feels like it was edited late in the production and the parts that were cut to save space, get tested, get reworked, or whatever didn't make it back in because they didn't have time. I'm just skeptical of any "trust me" doomsayer internet posts with no proof.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 1, 2014, 11:34 PropheT

There was a thread yesterday that refuted the claims that the "insider" made, or even that they were an insider, and the community manager said it was pretty much just BS.

I've been playing Destiny pretty much constantly since it came out, but I can't stand the Crucible
There's a lot of repetition and grind, but it just doesn't bother me with this game for some reason. I'm really looking forward to the new stuff they add to it.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 25, 2014, 16:20 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 12:47:
It didn't start with AAA games, and it didn't start with anyone buying reviews. It started with a woman that often talked about feminism being unfaithful.

It started with a woman who was pushing her video game being unfaithful with the people who were writing reviews to help sell that game. That's kind of an important detail to leave out, although it was for an indie title and not a AAA game.

I'd still maintain that the entire thing has more to do with gamers being sick of opinion pieces and emotional gerrymandering by gaming sites who have grown accustomed to treating their readers like shit, because I'm not sure why else they'd be so eager to turn on them. It's not like the idea of game reviews being not entirely on the level is a new one.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2014, 11:58 PropheT

That's kind of crazy, 15 years ago when I worked in the hard drive business a 5% failure rate was enough to spark a recall for one of those manufacturers (one of the others I worked for refused to ever say there was anything wrong with one of their lines that far exceeded that, though...).

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
44. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 24, 2014, 17:13 PropheT

Creston wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 15:46:
Beelzebud wrote on Sep 24, 2014, 14:24:
Remember folks, Fallout HAD to be turned into a first person shooter, because clearly turn based RPG's are dead.

Seeing as how they practically tripled the sales from FO1&2 combined with FO3, it's kind of hard to argue they made the wrong decision...

Considering how good Fallout 3 was I don't really mind the switch anyway.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 19, 2014, 22:05 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 15:25:
My only complaint is that the story is so patchy it's pretty much worthless. I beat all of the missions and strikes, read all the online stuff on my Destiny app, and still really have no idea what is going on. Darkness coming for us all, blah blah blah. If all the bad guys work for the darkness, why do they all fight each other?

And how I am supposed to take the robot Captain Mal?

Yeah, the story isn't. Not "isn't good" or "isn't intelligible", it just...isn't, it doesn't exist. There's no answers to any questions, ever, and every question I started the game with only found more questions later on with nothing ever being answered. It still kind of drives me nuts that I don't know what an Awoken or Exo is despite this definitely being our solar system at some point in time and them both being playable races.

The best I can tell the Guardians are angels, the Hive are demons, and the Fallen and Cabal are what became of humanity after being twisted by the Darkness (the Fallen being twisted tribal darkness fanatics and the Cabal being the last remaining genetic-remnant of what humanity became after its push to the stars). The Stranger, I'm guessing, is one of the last remaining real people out there on the run through space-time like we're in The Matrix; not undead like all of us in the Tower, but interested in us succeeding to prevent whatever happens if the Traveler disappeared entirely.

But really, who knows. Most of that I just made up in my head to have it make sense while I was playing.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 19, 2014, 11:31 PropheT

Er, wow, I had no idea that Destiny was getting bad review scores. I've been playing the shit out of it since it came out and I'd have never known it wasn't great if I hadn't seen the article about metacritic  

2188 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo