Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2157 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2013, 18:15 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 14:21:
Whoa! Free market, brother. What, you some kinda commie?

I'm kind of of a hockey guy, so...yeah, I think so

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 12:51:
On the flipside, the WS champs of the last 3 years, Giants, Cardinals, Giants, had middle-of-the-road payrolls. Boston didn't win because of its massive payroll, it won because it has great young pitchers AND because it has the best hitting coach in the league. (A poor guy who never gets any recognition, but who turns every guy who goes to play for Boston into an absolute fucking grinder at the plate. Facing Boston's lineup destroys pitchers.)

They won because they did something smart with the money instead of just having a big payroll, but there's no way their big payroll wasn't part of it. Boston is #4 for payroll, San Fran is #6, St. Louis is #11, depending on where you read. Looking back at the last ten years, the only team to win the World Series that wasn't in the top 10 salaries are the Cardinals, and since 1994 the only teams to win that aren't currently in the top half of the league's salaries are the Diamondbacks and Marlins (who both were when they won, if I recall).

You don't get the best players or keep them otherwise and it hurts the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
39. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 31, 2013, 16:00 PropheT

Axis wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 15:45:
Seeing how hard drive speed is one of the major bottlenecks today, I'm glad to see Sony remedied this with a hard drive and bandwidth tech from early 2000...

Yea, these articles just prove what many have been saying since the whooping on the wii u specs -- it's not all rosy amazing nextgen for your beloved xbone and ps4 -- it's just plain old upgrading, and in some cases, not an upgrade at all.

It's a 2.5" drive, that's not much different than the standard average drive you see out there right now. It'd be disappointing if the interface wasn't SATA 3 for upgrade reasons down the road, but not surprising and really not that big of a deal anyway.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2013, 12:27 PropheT

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 09:07:
Even has someone who pretty much gave up on baseball in 1994, I have to say this series had some interesting game endings...

I saw the obstruction call ending last weekend and it was crazy, but the ending of the entire series still leaves a familiar bitter taste. It just doesn't feel like there's any parity in the league at all when a team that wins the series has $40 million more on their payroll than the team they beat, and -they- had almost $40 million more on their payroll than the Twins or the Mets (who have a 3B who makes about half as much as the entire Astros team combined). The Dodgers had a payroll ~$200 million more than the Astros in 2013, which is just crazy.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 30, 2013, 21:04 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 20:24:
IS THERE ANYTHING THIS MAN CANNOT DO???

I'm going to go back to your first one and say act...

I'd say he played the derpy guy on That 70's Show pretty well, but he's been that same guy in everything he's ever done including interviews where he wasn't acting

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 20:57 PropheT

NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:28:
PS4 will not play MP3s, will not support connecting external storage such as flash drives, and will not stream media from other devices like your PC.

Neither of them are going to be able to use flash drives or external drives right away. The XB1 isn't supporting external storage at launch, either.

I'm really not sure why they're not putting in DLNA support right away, though. I mean, hell, my TV does it by itself with no other attachments and it's a couple of years old and not a ridiculously high end model or anything.

They did say in a tweet or something I saw somewhere that they're considering adding support for DLNA/MP3 after launch now, though, due to feedback.

News Comments > Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts
26. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 18:35 PropheT

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 16:16:
PropheT wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 16:00:
I don't know why you'd want 2 or 3 accounts anyway,

Any game that requires a login like F2P/MMO often merges with your steam account, if you want to create a new character you're forced to create a new steam account. This is why people have more then one, simply to create new characters because of steam integration.

You can create an account for any of the free to play games on Steam without doing it through Steam, though. Wouldn't that just be an added step that you're better off without?

News Comments > Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts
20. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 16:00 PropheT

nin wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:14:
Slashman wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:09:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 14:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 12:56:
I would imagine (looks at stats) that Steam is only 20 Million actual accounts. The rest are dupes and 2nd,3rd,4th accounts (see mess that was holiday sale).
I was gonna guess 5 million when you don't count abandoned accounts. Might be higher than that...

It cannot be 5 million if their usage numbers regularly hit 4.5 million. The world doesn't exist in a single timezone.

6 million plus.

6 million plus concurrent users means that if there is an abandoned or duplicate account inflation to the overall number, it's not by much.

I don't know why you'd want 2 or 3 accounts anyway, especially if you buy games... It's not like they're transferable. It's like having two accounts on Amazon, I'm sure some people have done it but there's no really good reason for the vast majority of users to have ever considered doing it.

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale
16. Re: Steam Halloween Sale Oct 29, 2013, 23:01 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 20:21:
Similar, and better. It's far more refined now and looks way better too. It helps if you've read some of the Fables comics but they're not really necessary. The game just oozes character and style. I cannot wait for the rest of the episodes.

That's enough to sell me on it, I'll have to pick it up.

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:51:
Van Helsing is totally worth $7.50, quite an amusing little ARPG. Rough around the edges and simple but fun enough.

I loved Van Helsing, it's very good. Some of the music is the best I've heard in a game; VH Gameplay Factory 01.ogg in the game's music directory, if you have it installed, is my personal favorite. All the music is in Ogg format to listen to without playing.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2013, 23:23 PropheT

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 22:11:
Baron (something, vampire, cap cut his head off w/ shield)

Baron Zemo. He'd probably be my favorite, and he wouldn't be terrible for the movies either.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 24, 2013, 11:41 PropheT

"But instead of applauding increased consumer choice and common sense pricing, some critics want to force average users to pay a flat fee akin to a 'universal' service, no matter if they are an occasional visitor or frequent 'super user.'"

But...that's already what they're doing, and they aren't changing that when they implement the caps. They just put the cap on, and leave the bill exactly the same as it was. In small communities around here, $30 to $40 a month for 3mbps and up from there for a network that often was subsidized or outright built with money from the local community or even federal government funds.

And then they limit your access to it. "But cell phone carriers get to screw you, we want to too" isn't exactly a good argument for caps :p

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 23, 2013, 12:29 PropheT

nin wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 10:46:
I'm not saying things couldn't be better, but I totally agree with what Fargo said there.

A big part of that is the stretch goals, though. There's just no way a game like Divinity: Original Sin was going to make its initial release window once you start adding on the complexity that a number of its stretch goals tacked on to the game.

It's not just video games, though. I've backed a couple of tabletop games (RPG's or mini-based wargame things) and they suffer from the same problem, overselling and not being able to meet their development offers by the time release happens.

Something has to give for the funding via Kickstarter to stabilize, and limiting or even eliminating stretch goals would be a good start. Focus the project, decide what you need, and build to that rather than starting on a house and find out halfway through that you're building a new stadium.

News Comments > NVIDIA "R331 Game Ready" Driver
21. Re: NVIDIA R331 Game Ready Oct 21, 2013, 20:47 PropheT

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 18:33:
Ryan Lange wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 18:14:
Same. The problem that I experience is that my system will randomly and semi-frequently lock up for several seconds. Bizarrely, I only experience this when not playing a game (e.g. browsing the web, checking email, programming).

Yes! That is exactly the symptom I was experience as well. It would happen on Win 7, Win 8 and Server 2012.

It sounds like something that would happen with the polling on the driver update check. Are you installing just the drivers or the whole software package?

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
53. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 21, 2013, 03:28 PropheT

As a side note to all of this, I wonder how many things like this it will take before Valve starts being more picky about the games you can put money down for on Steam. There have been a lot of games lately to come out on Steam that have been unfinished, just plain broken, or outright shovelware... and that never had really happened before.

It's one thing to have bad games, that's kind of unavoidable. It's another to have games like Realms of Arkania and Citadels that aren't put up as Early Access games, but seem to get a pass on dumping their broken shit onto the service because they're indies.

As much as I like Steam, their customer service just isn't up to handling it and their policy of no refunds makes casual shopping a pain in the ass. When you're left to research every $5 purchase you make as if you're buying a used car since there's no way to know if you're getting an actual game or a landfilled Kickstarter project, there's a real problem with the store.

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
35. Re: Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained Oct 20, 2013, 23:23 PropheT

The Magician wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 21:09:
hey douchebag gamers (not all of us just the idiots who think they can demand a game works their way), you bought the game, you didnt create it. you dont get to act like a retarded douchebag because you dont like the way the story goes. anyone ever demand someone reewrite a book because the ending sucked? no?

fucking babies

Arthur Conan Doyle retroactively changed the ending to one of the Sherlock Holmes books because he killed him off and the fan outrage was vehemently negative. So...yes, endings get changed. Even in books.

You're also kind of ignoring the fact that the game just randomly ends. Seriously, just watch the video, Blue even linked it for you to do that and everything.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 19, 2013, 01:28 PropheT

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 00:56:
This is why we can't have good video game adaptations to film.

I don't know, if video game "fans" are the ones who I can only assume are literally shitting out the Resident Evil movies, guys like Uwe Boll who was adapting them left and right, and so on, well...

The thing that makes them suck is that they try to tell the same story as whatever video game they're from, in the same way, with as much fanservice to the game's fans as they can fit in all at the expense of actually making a good movie.

Not focusing on that is a pretty good start, and I'd honestly watch anything Michael Fassbender was in just because he's incredible at every role I've ever seen him in. Making video game movies as if they're just for fans of the games is a good chunk of what's been wrong with more or less every video game movie that's ever released.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 14, 2013, 14:08 PropheT

Creston wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 10:30:
Please everybody, vote all these fucking incumbents out of office at the next election(s).

All that would serve to do is swap party control in 95%+ of the political areas where those people are up for election. It not only wouldn't fix anything, it would almost certainly make it worse.

News Comments > Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online
4. Re: Activision Publishing Suing Worlds Online Oct 5, 2013, 13:35 PropheT

Those two things describe almost every single 3D game ever made, so I'm not sure what Worlds is actually after other than a quick payout since they just specifically stated World of Warcraft and Call of Duty in their lawsuit. This just looks like logical defense against obvious patent trolling to me, but I'm not a lawyer I guess.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 4, 2013, 12:42 PropheT

Maybe they should have interviewed the El Salvadoran gang member who just got out of prison the day before they recorded to see what he said instead.

I agree with what these guys are saying, but when Rockstar also hired guys who do real violence alongside them it sort of shoots their credibility in the foot a bit.

News Comments > EverQuest II Giving Away Level 85 Characters
2. Re: EverQuest II Giving Away Level 85 Characters Oct 2, 2013, 21:54 PropheT

Um, wow. I'd bet they get a lot of hell about doing this, but I might actually take them up on it.  

News Comments > Blizzard TMs Heroes of the Storm
6. Re: Blizzard TMs Heroes of the Storm Sep 30, 2013, 19:23 PropheT

Kobalt wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 18:52:
Blizzard taking butthurt to the next level, this is all because they are mad valve made dota 2.

I don't know why you would think this, or even if game development was actually just like a kindergarten classroom how you'd extrapolate that kind of insight into the game from the story that was posted.

It's possible it's not even that game, for all anyone knows it's a WoW expansion.

2157 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo