Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2080 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
43. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:07 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:50:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 09:15:
Marketing ploy or good game?

Marketing ploy for sure.

It's neither, they're doing it because no one can log in past a certain point. It's certainly popular enough to cause the issue, but I don't think that means good game either.

It's not a marketing ploy, though, they're doing it because of the login issues. They had to limit the logins because the duty finder breaks under load if they don't... but they created a situation where you're lucky to find a server to create a character on as of last night (*all* of the NA servers disallowed it when I tried last night) and even if you can, you're lucky to log in. The queue sometimes works, but usually it just tells you you're SOL and try again later. Since early access started, I've been able to get on and play a few hours and went for two days without being able to log in at all.

It's better than it was with 1.0 but it's still not good. It might make casual FFXI fans happy, but not the hardcore ones, and I don't know who else would pay $15 to play it over virtually any other MMO out there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2013, 23:08 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 22:23:
So far only Turbine has done F2P mostly right.

Trion's implementation of RIFT's free to play is by far the best I've seen, actually. Still, in both cases they're PTP games that went free to play and weren't developed that way to begin with; I've yet to see a game actually developed as truly F2p that had the same quality to it.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sid Meier's Ace Patrol & Space Ace
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sid Meier's Ace Patrol & Space Ace Aug 27, 2013, 23:02 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 22:10:
Holy shit talk about a trip in the way back machine. I remember playing Space Ace in the arcades. I fucking hated it.

lol, I said the same thing when I saw it on Steam earlier.

"Wow, I remember playing that! God, I hated that game."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 16:15 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 13:12:
Huffington Post to ban anonymous comments.

While anonymity does breed trolls, it also breeds more accurate criticism and comments.

If you can find them amidst the racism, sexism, personal attacks, off-topic rants, political injections into any story possible, and so on.

The comments section on news sites isn't any different than YouTube anymore. Fox News already disabled their comments section a while ago from what I've read, and it wouldn't surprise me if CNN followed suit... reading the posts after virtually any article on CNN is like diving into a manure pit looking for gold.

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
45. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 22:46 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 18:51:
San Andreas was universally reviled as the worst of the bunch and for many good reasons. No, the best of the series was still Vice City. GTA4 would be after that.

Are you sure? Most the people I've seen have it the other way around and say San Andreas was their favorite and Vice City the worst.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Aug 23, 2013, 22:25 PropheT

I think Jim Caviezel would be a great Batman.

CNN even has two top-page headlines about "WTF Affleck?", it's sort of wild. Then again, I think the entire Batman/Superman idea is bad to begin with...not that I'd mind being proven wrong at all.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 23, 2013, 22:19 PropheT

walrus1 wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 22:13:
Look EA here is how you make a great Star Wars game in four very easy steps!

Step 1: Play X-Wing and then Play Tie Fighter

I'd add the Jedi Knight series to that, and KOTOR (the non MMO-RPG version, at least). There are some really good Star Wars games, it's just kind of strange to think that there haven't been any in so long now.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 22, 2013, 19:57 PropheT

Necrophob wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 11:50:
FTA: "I can see it from a player's perspective," said Mosqueira, "'yeah, Diablo is awesome you click on things and things die. Imagining two players going at it would be awesome!'"

For some reason, I read that as a little sarcastic. I've always thought that the D3 developers seemed to hold the IP with a bit of contempt. Not sure why I feel that way.

I didn't even think that was a real quote until I checked the article.
After seeing that, I'm not so sure they have contempt for the IP as much as for their players

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced
79. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 20:13 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 18:12:
Krovven wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 17:53:
Also doesn't take a genius to look at Steam and see who has and who has not played the game. Difficult concept for you to wrap your brain around I'm sure.

Or you just made up some shit, occam's razor and all. It was not at all difficult to see the problems with Marvel Heroes in the beta periods.

That and the big complaints from launch day were mostly about them charging way too much for heroes, with the defense being that you could unlock them through normal play... and anyone who has actually played it knows that's BS. They even admitted as much and made changes to the game after launch to rectify it.

54. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 16:08 PropheT

FloorPie wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 15:40:
As always, the D3 story in 3 minutes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY

Curse your butterfly magics!

I probably shouldn't have watched that, it was just depressing :p

Act 3 sums up pretty well why the story is so bad, and they even leave out the whole Leah/Witch thing that no one smart enough to install the game wouldn't have figured out by the time it happens, and yet they still do the "no one could have anticipated" stuff afterward. There's really only two possibilities there, that they were going for campy and stupid (the exact opposite of what Diablo should have been) or they assume the players are stupid, which is probably worse.

I complain about the story, but after seeing that I'm convinced it's actually worse than I remembered it being

45. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced Aug 21, 2013, 14:00 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 13:39:
I don't think it's a bad game, it's just kind of soulless and not very compelling.

That's pretty much what a bad game is, though, isn't it?

The gameplay is very sterile and the story is so bad that I didn't want to play through the game again.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
1. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Aug 20, 2013, 19:48 PropheT

Good deal, whatever the problem was with the last beta released that caused the driver to fail every time I tried to install it seems to be fixed. Not even a minor hiccup this time, just worked.  

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access
4. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access Aug 19, 2013, 21:48 PropheT

I want this badly, but there's no way I'll pay $29 for an early access game. I really hate the idea of paying to beta test someone's game in the first place, and when there's no chance of getting a refund if it turns out to be something you have no interest in... not to mention the reduced incentive to actually complete the damn thing properly since they already have your money to begin with.

On the other hand, I guess it's refreshing to see game companies releasing stuff that they can actually admit isn't done yet

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 13, 2013, 22:02 PropheT

When they're the only supply for the game and it's selling for $90, of course it's going for market value... that's exactly what price fixing is.

What an odd story.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 22:42 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 22:18:
This was a smart move by Microsoft to answer one of the most common complaints about the Xbox One. They could have made it easier by not including it at all and competed on price too though.

It is, but it leaves behind a bit of an odd issue in that you still need to pay the extra money to buy the Kinect if you want an XB1 even though it's not mandatory to even have it hooked up anymore.

Instead of the Xbox being $100 more than the PS4 because it had a component I didn't want, now it's $100 more because it comes with a packed-in peripheral that you don't even need. I guess it's an improvement, but now instead of being an aggravating feature of the console it's simplified to being a mandatory purchase of non-mandatory hardware if you want the system. I guess a bad deal is better than a bad design decision, but the end result is pretty much the same.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 22:02 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:38:
Jesus, looking at the comments - and articles - from those Xbox fanboys is just painful to read. It really is battered wife syndrome meets Stockholm syndrome. What the hell does it take to turn those idiots off that product? It's just beyond sad.

The Gizmodo article is from the same guy who wrote the article back in June about how terrible it was for everyone that Microsoft was abandoning their DRM scheme with the XB1. I don't think it's possible to turn someone like that off of the product when their starting point was how incredible it was, no matter what, and it's only changing because people didn't realize it like they always did.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:48 PropheT

TorchMaster wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:45:
PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 11:51:
Occasional thumbnails on the front are OK, but I'd rather not see them attached to every which article. How hard is it, if interested in an article, to click through and get screens from within? The wall of blue-backed text greeting me everyday is one of the reasons I visit here as opposed to everywhere else.

^ Agree With This ^

Me too, the simplicity is why I like this site so much.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 8, 2013, 15:44 PropheT

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 12:38:
After playing The Last of Us I found Bioshock Elizabeths lack of involvement in combat pretty shallow and glaring. Ellie from TLOU actually kills people, shows emotion at what is going on and generally feels like a meaningful addition to the gameplay. Elizabeth from Bioshock is a robot who feeds you items once in awhile which introducing annoying stoppages of play in the middle of combat.

Ellie never felt alive to me the way Elizabeth did in BI. It's also hard to ignore than in a stealth-based game, Ellie just derps around and walks right into things without caring. Her personality sucks, too, where I actually liked Elizabeth's.

I absolutely hated The Last of Us, though, and Ellie is a good part of that. I liked Bioshock Infinite a lot, and Elizabeth was a big part of that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 18:27 PropheT

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 14:17:
Strango wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 09:37:
Blu-Ray book is a kind of packaging for Blu-Ray movies that looks more like a book with the discs sliding into the "pages".

This. Here is an example showing the book packaging:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Hm6DBQJBL._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting, never seen those before. That's kind of cool.

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
39. Re: id: RAGE Aug 4, 2013, 22:22 PropheT

SlimRam wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 19:21:
Playing RAGE was alot like me having sex for the first time:

1) I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be doing sometimes or what to expect

2) Sometimes it was just plain ugly and I wanted to wretch

3) It was over before I really expected it to be, and I felt like I had paid too much

2080 Comments. 104 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo