Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2127 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
20. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Jan 1, 2014, 03:33 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 1, 2014, 01:13:
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is probably just the PC version, but with that "new and improved" Lara face texture.

It's a completely new model. There's screenshots floating around somewhere, but it does actually look fairly different. It looked like they fixed some of the wonkiness that TressFX had on PC, too, but that's always hard to tell without seeing any extended gameplay videos. It looks good, anyway.

Fletch wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 18:52:
Oh well, console players choose their respective gatekeepers when they choose a platform.

And as often as not anymore PC gamers choose one when they buy games, too. I'd personally rather deal with Steam than either MS or Sony's stores, but there's still similar sacrifices being made when you tie your game purchases to the service.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
10. Re: New Year's Eve Consolidation Dec 31, 2013, 18:11 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2013, 12:02:
Winner: Sony.

I'd say so. Borderlands 2 for free with PS+, then Bioshock Infinite, and their competitor puts up two games that were free on PS+ about a year ago or so.

It seems like MS needs to step up their game a little bit to me, but reading around a little it doesn't seem like most Xbox fans seem to care very much... and I'm not sure why.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 23:28 PropheT

LittleMe wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 22:17:
Dirwulf wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 21:11:
At the top of the article it states the source.

Statistic Verification
Source: Bethesda Game Studios, Steam, Zenimax
Research Date: 12.19.2013

I don't believe them.

I wouldn't either. Valve doesn't release sales numbers, so they're probably basing it off of concurrent connections and as far as I know they didn't even hit their peak until a month or more after the game released. Combine that with it being the fastest selling Steam title ever in the month that it did release and that is hasn't really left the best seller list since then there's no way it's only 1.5 million.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 28, 2013, 13:57 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 12:29:
God, it amazes me the people that think this is some revolution when it's just people looking for a place to post pictures of themselves drinking without their parents seeing.

I think this is what is keeping people away, or forcing them away, more than anything and I'd be surprised if it's just teenagers.

When potential employers and everyone else starts scanning your Facebook page prior to hiring you, it's time to just delete the account before it becomes detrimental to even have one.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 28, 2013, 13:54 PropheT

I think it's kind of reasonable to assume that you're shooting everything and there's so much combat simply because a video game with no gameplay becomes pretty damn boring pretty damn quickly.

News Comments > On Sale
22. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2013, 20:24 PropheT

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2013, 13:58:
Most of those Origin deals are pretty pathetic, but if you've never played it, getting the entire Mass Effect trilogy for 24 bucks is incredible value.

Mass Effect 3 is only $7 on Amazon right now, and the trilogy is $9.

The Origin sale is pretty terrible :p

Mass Effect 3 on Amazon for $7

The whole trilogy for $9.99

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
26. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 19:55 PropheT

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 17:24:
How about they just call it 'If we can do ANYTHING to help you while your here, stop here!' Center?

And digging deeper into it, beyond the gay thing, I really think it has merit, but how it's being described is rather strange. It's a lounge for the people visiting, but also a seperate venue/area for people with booths as well?

That sounds probably more appropriate, but yeah that's basically it.

From the Indie Statik site that Kotaku refers to:

The lounges, detailed as a separate space within the convention itself, have their own booths, tables, speakers and panel tracks, each with a focus on a company that serves a diverse community or is run by a diverse individual (or in the case of the panels, diversity issues and what Iím going to assume are issues of inclusivity in gaming).

24. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 17:10 PropheT

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 16:50:
Um... how the fuck is this gonna help anyone?

Either 'man up' on your harrasement policy, or flat out tell everyone, if your a fucking asshole you WILL be removed from the event, no questions asked.

As for the content of this lounge... seriously? Why seperate it from the rest of the event? If it's to keep the flaming gay guys who constantly ask 'OMG Did you watch The Voice/American Idol/Some other stupid fucking program' out of the general population I'm all for it.

I'm not sure I understand this response or the ones like it.

This isn't a response to harassment at the show or racism and people not being treated fairly. It's not separating gay and lesbian people or anyone else into particular parts of the show where they can do their thing and not be molested or whatever it is people think happens. It's not some replacement for behavioral enforcement among attendees.

They had shows at PAX like Achieving Gender Diversity in Gaming and Gays in Love with their RPG's and so on, so it's not like it's some non-inclusive place where people were being persecuted so they set up a petting zoo for the next show. This is because people on the internet flip their shit over everything and blow it up into as big of a shitstorm as they can until their targets are forced to compensate.

How do you NOT separate it from the rest of the event? Set up diversity enforcers in every booth so they're everywhere in the show? Have harassment checkpoints at each intersection on the convention floor?

My workplace has a diversity council, that has its own events and so on. It's a big place, with lots of employees, and they do it to foster an environment of inclusion and to work on making sure that across the field people are treated fairly. That's all they're doing that at PAX, to have a place dedicated at the show to exploring those issues in the gaming community and so they can make a public showing of doing something about the problem that they get constantly accused of being the creators of.

They've already had panels talking about these issues, now they're giving it dedicated floor space and making it a featured part of the show like any other booth at a convention. That's pretty much it.

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 18, 2013, 11:58 PropheT

aldo_14 wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 11:23:
Surely isolating educational booths, etc, on diversity issues defeats the purpose entirely?

Not exactly, everything at the entire con has its own booth. They're just having a booth for this now, too.

I don't think it'll do any good, personally, people who want to hate on them are still going to do it and people that want to be offended are still going to find a reason to be anyway. They can't win if they do nothing, if they try something it'll always be wrong, and so on ad nauseum.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 17, 2013, 20:35 PropheT

He makes an interesting point in the PS4 article:

"There is a similar parallel question that says that packaged media will go away and all games will be digitally distributed. But we are already seeing, even on the early launch line-up on PS4, massively bigger games that, for many people, are just more conveniently purchased in the form of physical media."

I'd normally prefer the digital games at this point, but having run within a few gigs of my bandwidth cap last month because of the PS4 launch I can't see doing it regularly going forward. I'd never come within 100gb of it before, but after just a few game downloads over the course of the month I'll be buying on discs now.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 12, 2013, 23:14 PropheT

It's not like they can just not collect data. Their entire organization is built around the idea of monitoring people, so they have to have something to do or else they'd all be sitting around playing World of Warcraft or...something...

Wait, nevermind.

News Comments > Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved
12. Re: Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved Dec 12, 2013, 23:06 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 22:54:
I still don't understand why what Trowe did would affect Lowe staying at the company. That part has me baffled. If one of my coworkers did something illegal, why would I lose my job or be forced to resign?

I think it's the nature of what happened. Especially when you're making something like Leisure Suit Larry games that are based around sex, and that anything involved is going to come back to Al to answer about at some point anyway, I sure wouldn't blame him for distancing himself from it all.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 10, 2013, 18:17 PropheT

I bought into the Kickstarter, and then when they dumped the game out to the Humble store I get a key that doesn't work that no one would do anything about. Finally comes to Steam, and I can't get a key for that version to use it instead.

Pretty much just accepted that I lost the money and I don't think I'll give them more.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 9, 2013, 20:57 PropheT

I think you need to read the report and what it's about before flipping out about that one. It's actually kind of nice to see EA getting good press for something, imo.

I'm a little surprised that the company I work for is only at an 85 on their list, they seem lightyears ahead on the progressive scale than anywhere else around the area.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 20:47 PropheT

Julio wrote on Dec 9, 2013, 20:15:
Time to move onto Windows 9, build it off Windows 7.

Win8 is much better to build off of, just not in the UI department...there's no reason at all to build off of 7 instead for their next OS. The Metro stuff should be a side-app, and it really is if you set 8.1 to boot to desktop mode anyway. Once you get rid of the terrible touch interface on a computer that's 99% likely not using it there's nothing really wrong with 8 and it's a much upgraded and better backend platform to build 9 off of than 7 is.

As long as they don't make the same stupid, forced mistakes they did with the UI again.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Dec 9, 2013, 02:24 PropheT

DangerDog wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 17:44:
Video game boob physics at it's absolute worst.

I hate the hand-wringing PC at any cost thing a hell of a lot more. Nobody said much about any of this shit until someone decided everyone was supposed to be offended by it all of a sudden, and now these articles pop up all the time.

Because really, who says this:

"I think it was a bad decision to have her in those clothes," says Clubb finally. "This is supposed to be a moment of emotional gravity. Just dress the character."

...about Game of Thrones? Pretty much no one, have another Emmy for being edgy. People talk about 50 Shades of Grey and the sex in Game of Thrones and this and that constantly, but when it comes times for games it's all of a sudden a taboo subject just meant to titillate adolescents because every goddamn video games beat writer needs an easy bandwagon cause that legitimizes them as a journalist. Screw that and screw them.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2013, 22:09 PropheT

I think it looks pretty badass.

Garfield is great, imo. He and a lot of the other elements of the new movies are closer to Ultimate Spider-Man, which was really a lot better than the old Amazing comics have been in a long time anyway.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
53. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Dec 1, 2013, 03:36 PropheT

Vio wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 01:30:
entr0py wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 00:50:
... The advantages of consoles are a far lower price, ...

I don't think this is true for the current "next-gen" (specifically in my own nation), it seems retailers have decided to sell the consoles for $650~700.

What country are you in? At least in the U.S., the PS4 is $400 and the XB1 $500; I haven't seen anywhere outside of Craigslist/Ebay that anyone is asking for more than those regular retail prices. They're selling quickly, but places are actually keeping small amounts of them in stock for short periods of time so it's not as if they're impossible to get right now.

There are some price variations regionally, but I assumed they were the same with the older console generations as well.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
35. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 21:05 PropheT

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 18:05:
The idea that nVidia is saying this because it missed out on the consoles is ridiculous.

They're saying it because that's what the PC gamers want to hear.

It's not just racing and sports games consoles are better for right now, because they get the big games. Most big games for PC over the last few years have been ports outside of very specific genres, and even indie games are increasingly available on consoles.

I've been a PC gamer forever, but I like my consoles because they offer me something I don't get with my PC. That's not changing any time soon, if ever, and the performance and fidelity differences are negligible when the majority of the good games you get were originally designed for the console versions anyway.

All of this just seems like another platform PR group tooting their horn for their favorite team, I guess, and there's been way too much of that to stomach with the launch of the new consoles as it is.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 23, 2013, 14:09 PropheT

I miss the 2K hockey games. They tended to focus on being a little more sim-like than the arcade-ish feel of the NHL games, like setting up plays and cycling the puck rather than just trying to force breakaways and shooting from the slot at high speed every time.  

2127 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo