Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2187 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
32. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:38 PropheT

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:21:
since when do games that are 50% complete or whatever % they are at complete are required to have SOMETHING PLAYABLE or else is a scam or a runaway train wreck or whatever else...?

and lets not forget no one is forcing anyone to pledge more money.
The base game can be bought for $30 bucks.

All the hate this game gets is pretty hilarious...

I don't think anyone is hating on the game, it's just a little crazy that there's DLC for a game that isn't even out yet.

When 9 out of 10 crowdfunded projects over-promise and under-deliver you're going to raise eyebrows when selling additional content during development for a game that hasn't been made yet. I don't see this as being much different than people being upset about on-disc DLC, it's parts that are being made along with the main game but are being sold alongside it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2014, 18:04 PropheT

...and other kinds of video-type things where there's a lot of killing involved.

Like crime dramas on Fox?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 16:41 PropheT

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 14:17:
Haha no, like Blue said it's not so much the volume of snow as the very low temperatures without much respite. The accumulation here has been insane despite average levels of snowfall, there's been basically no thaw until today. I had some drifts that were getting scary big.

We're starting to pack up the snow pretty bad here, too, since it's been steady cold all winter. We're getting dumped on again today, too, with what they're saying is another 10-14" or so (in SE MN).

It's less snow than we had a few years ago overall, it's just that none of it has melted since the first of it started to stick to the ground.

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
64. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 16:31 PropheT

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 15:01:
Though I'm sure they are not paying anyone off, they are the ones who were "paid off" to make it exclusive, and their benefactors are the ones paying people off.

Yeah. I doubt anyone thinks Respawn is doing it, but it's hard to believe that EA isn't. His response is like being pissed that people associate you with mobsters while you're eating pastrami with the Gambini family.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2014, 12:09 PropheT

And meanwhile, despite part of the premise of net neutrality being struck down in the first place being that consumers could switch to a competitor if they didn't like their provider's practices, Comcast is attempting a huge merger that would even further dwindle or outright eliminate competition in many areas.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 19:29 PropheT

Woo, thanks!

And welcome back, was nice to see everything working again.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
2. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 10, 2014, 18:38 PropheT

Not sure what they're expecting if Rocksmith is a disappointment with a million sold. It's not exactly Guitar Hero, and I can't imagine educational software like that normally sells like a AAA video game.

It's brilliant, though, I'm kind of amazed at how well it works. I've "played" for a long time, but it was awesome how quickly Rocksmith helped get over that hump to go from ok-sounding dicking around to actually playing songs. I do wish it had a better song list, though.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 12:40 PropheT

Wildone wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 11:57:
Poppycock. Its BAD MOVIES that are the problem, reboot reboot reboot. Im done with reboots whether its 3d or not. This is just lame excuse making.

That doesn't bother me all that much, honestly, and I'd still see quite a few movies if it wasn't $30-40 for two people to go with just tickets, a modest popcorn (if there is such a thing at a theater), and a drink. You have to really want to see something to pay what they want for it anymore, and no one I know has any interest in 3D movies in the first place.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2014, 21:50 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 21:11:
But the writing has been on the wall for a good long time as well. WoW subscriptions peaked in 2010. LotRO went free to play in 2010, DDO went in 2009. Star Trek Online went free to play 2 years ago. SW:TOR was the last major MMO to launch with a monthly fee in 2011, and it lasted about a year before going free to play. So, they've had plenty of time to read the writing and change accordingly, and apparently they've stuck to their guns. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not, but you'd better have something pretty fcking special to buck the trend and get away with it.

Those games, like most that started with a sub, didn't go free to play for any reason other than because they were going to fail otherwise and, with the possible exception being LOTRO, they were failing because generally speaking they weren't particularly good games.

WoW still has impressive sub numbers, even now. A lot of free to play games require a money commitment that's over and above what you'd pay for a monthly sub, like SW:TOR where you're barely getting a game unless you sub anyway so heralding it as F2P is sort of pointless. Also, SW:TOR wasn't the last MMO to launch with a monthly fee, either. FFXIV launched (again) last year with one and seems to be doing just fine with it. I believe EVE still has one.

I don't believe that the market is demanding free to play as much as that the NA/EU pool of players is finite and pulling players from one game to the next to create a domino effect after they vacate a game. Frankly, it doesn't matter; if players aren't willing to put the money into the game in order to keep it alive at whatever level the publisher and developer requires, whether with a sub or without, the game dies. Someone has to pay for it somewhere along the line, so gamers can bitch about subs or they can bitch about microtransactions but they're going to need to accept one or the other (and probably both for anything that's going to be considered AAA) if they aren't just going to accept that the game shut down entirely otherwise.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers Feb 6, 2014, 21:03 PropheT

NKD wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 18:49:
They'll get a bigger boost when they ship Warlords. (Rumor has it, this summer.)

I'm really excited for the new character models. The ones I've seen they've done a really incredible job with, I think it'll breathe some life back into things a lot for me when they go live.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2014, 18:44 PropheT

The extra two weeks will help us push the Xbone, more likely.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 5, 2014, 19:37 PropheT

I buy practically everything from Amazon anymore since it saves me a 60-mile round trip drive to get to anywhere to buy things otherwise. I sort of quit buying from Newegg a few years ago once I had Prime since shipping on anything through Newegg was either extremely slow or almost $20 (or more, if you needed a computer case or something).

It's probably not a bad deal if you use Newegg a lot, but Prime benefits more because it's not just one specialized kind of thing you can buy for that money you spend. It's also hard to compete with, since Prime has to be a loss leader for what they charge for it.

News Comments > Strider Next Week; New Game Modes Detailed
1. Re: Strider Next Week; New Game Modes Detailed Feb 5, 2014, 19:31 PropheT

I never really cared for the arcade version that much, but the NES version was one of my favorite games back then.  

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
7. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Feb 4, 2014, 22:27 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:21:
I'm tired of monthly fees from anyone and everything. Seems like everyone has their hand in your pocket and wants to keep it in there month after month. And most of them don't even come close to warranting it.

Not that I disagree with that, because it's sadly true, but I prefer a monthly fee with MMO's. Free to play is far too often just a creative way to ensure that you spend more money on that "free" game than you would if you were paying a sub.

But, yeah. The way everything is monetized now it's just a personal preference of which method sucks the least.

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
4. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Feb 4, 2014, 20:49 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:08:
Anyone who's previously been in the beta will likely have gotten keys as well.

I didn't this time around, although I didn't actually need a key last time to log in anyway.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison
14. Re: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Graphics Comparison Jan 30, 2014, 13:20 PropheT

FU wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:35:
I don't understand why people r getting bent out of shape if the console version looks better.

I'm not sure. The PS4 version does look better, but they redesigned things to make it that way so there's no reason it wouldn't. IGN's comparison video is actually better than this one, from what I watched, since it doesn't slow everything down for some weird reason.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
31. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 13:01 PropheT

Frags4Fun wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:03:
My hope is that this will give Nvidia a reason to lower the cost of their cards. As it is, they're out of control with their prices.

If you go shopping for video cards right now Nvidia's are cheaper than AMD's since all the Radeons are being bought out for bitcoin mining. Even when they weren't the price differences weren't as significant as they had been in the past anyway.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed
3. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 29, 2014, 21:54 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 20:37:
Charging full price game for what amounts to a tiny DLC. Lol, no wonder I'm done with Actiblizz.

Not sure what you mean. It's about the same size as the expansion for Diablo 2 was, although that had two classes instead of one.

I think it's even the same price if I remember right, I'm pretty sure that was $40 when it came out, too.

News Comments > ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic
19. Re: ESO Preorders; Imperial Edition Confirmed; Opening Cinematic Jan 29, 2014, 20:47 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:28:
I know I am in the minority here, but I am currently a fan of the game based on my latest experience in the beta. After my first weekend I was a bit disappointed but I have found it more entertaining the more time I have had with it. I dig the trailer, they did a nice job with it. I am disappointed that they are choosing to put something like a "race" in a CE. I don't think that is a very well thought out decision.

Yeah, the trailer is amazing. It's as good as anything Blizzard has done, and theirs are great.

The race with the CE is just a bad idea. I'm on the fence about the game, and being faced with that being the only real choice to me leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The monthly fee doesn't bother me at all, since there aren't really any free MMO's other than Warframe that I've preferred that model for.

News Comments > ESO Imperial Edition Outed
17. Re: ESO Imperial Edition Outed Jan 29, 2014, 16:26 PropheT

Rossini wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 11:44:
While I'm not a huge fan of CE's and vanity stuff, in this case I don't mind giving them an extra 20 bucks for the Imperial edition bonuses because I've gotten way more than my monies worth out of Skyrim.

This isn't Skyrim, or a successor to it. It's really not much like it at all.

I hate preorder bonuses like this. Gear, ok. Xp boost, sure. A race that you can't get without pre-ordering the expensive collectors edition? For me that's a pre-order bonus that says either I buy this edition of the game now, or I never play the game at all, period.

For some people maybe it's not a big deal, but for me that's a deal breaker and this game hasn't done enough to sell me on spending that kind of money for it.

2187 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo