Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 1969 (Pro)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
1. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Aug 20, 2013, 19:48 PropheT

Good deal, whatever the problem was with the last beta released that caused the driver to fail every time I tried to install it seems to be fixed. Not even a minor hiccup this time, just worked.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access
4. Re: Might & Magic X Legacy Early Access Aug 19, 2013, 21:48 PropheT

I want this badly, but there's no way I'll pay $29 for an early access game. I really hate the idea of paying to beta test someone's game in the first place, and when there's no chance of getting a refund if it turns out to be something you have no interest in... not to mention the reduced incentive to actually complete the damn thing properly since they already have your money to begin with.

On the other hand, I guess it's refreshing to see game companies releasing stuff that they can actually admit isn't done yet

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 13, 2013, 22:02 PropheT

When they're the only supply for the game and it's selling for $90, of course it's going for market value... that's exactly what price fixing is.

What an odd story.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 22:42 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 22:18:
This was a smart move by Microsoft to answer one of the most common complaints about the Xbox One. They could have made it easier by not including it at all and competed on price too though.

It is, but it leaves behind a bit of an odd issue in that you still need to pay the extra money to buy the Kinect if you want an XB1 even though it's not mandatory to even have it hooked up anymore.

Instead of the Xbox being $100 more than the PS4 because it had a component I didn't want, now it's $100 more because it comes with a packed-in peripheral that you don't even need. I guess it's an improvement, but now instead of being an aggravating feature of the console it's simplified to being a mandatory purchase of non-mandatory hardware if you want the system. I guess a bad deal is better than a bad design decision, but the end result is pretty much the same.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 22:02 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 21:38:
Jesus, looking at the comments - and articles - from those Xbox fanboys is just painful to read. It really is battered wife syndrome meets Stockholm syndrome. What the hell does it take to turn those idiots off that product? It's just beyond sad.

The Gizmodo article is from the same guy who wrote the article back in June about how terrible it was for everyone that Microsoft was abandoning their DRM scheme with the XB1. I don't think it's possible to turn someone like that off of the product when their starting point was how incredible it was, no matter what, and it's only changing because people didn't realize it like they always did.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 15:48 PropheT

TorchMaster wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:45:
PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 11:51:
Occasional thumbnails on the front are OK, but I'd rather not see them attached to every which article. How hard is it, if interested in an article, to click through and get screens from within? The wall of blue-backed text greeting me everyday is one of the reasons I visit here as opposed to everywhere else.

^ Agree With This ^

Me too, the simplicity is why I like this site so much.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Aug 8, 2013, 15:44 PropheT

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 12:38:
After playing The Last of Us I found Bioshock Elizabeths lack of involvement in combat pretty shallow and glaring. Ellie from TLOU actually kills people, shows emotion at what is going on and generally feels like a meaningful addition to the gameplay. Elizabeth from Bioshock is a robot who feeds you items once in awhile which introducing annoying stoppages of play in the middle of combat.

Ellie never felt alive to me the way Elizabeth did in BI. It's also hard to ignore than in a stealth-based game, Ellie just derps around and walks right into things without caring. Her personality sucks, too, where I actually liked Elizabeth's.

I absolutely hated The Last of Us, though, and Ellie is a good part of that. I liked Bioshock Infinite a lot, and Elizabeth was a big part of that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 18:27 PropheT

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 14:17:
Strango wrote on Aug 5, 2013, 09:37:
Blu-Ray book is a kind of packaging for Blu-Ray movies that looks more like a book with the discs sliding into the "pages".

This. Here is an example showing the book packaging:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Hm6DBQJBL._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting, never seen those before. That's kind of cool.

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
39. Re: id: RAGE Aug 4, 2013, 22:22 PropheT

SlimRam wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 19:21:
Playing RAGE was alot like me having sex for the first time:

1) I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be doing sometimes or what to expect

2) Sometimes it was just plain ugly and I wanted to wretch

3) It was over before I really expected it to be, and I felt like I had paid too much

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 4, 2013, 15:41 PropheT

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 4, 2013, 14:34:
Except the PS3 used a cell-processor that was hard to develop for... and they don't any more. Now both consoles use x86 architecture.

That, and how it's been repeatedly shown that it isn't actually more powerful because of limitations on the hardware in question. If anything, the two consoles are fairly similar only one is harder to make the games for, which isn't a problem with the new consoles.

Specs alone won't win the console war simply because the XB1 and PS4 are pretty comparable in most respects anyway. They're strangely similar for two systems designed completely independently.

Toppling the incumbent has already happened in pre-sales, and the PS3 has outsold the Xbox 360 anyway worldwide as of earlier this year. I'm not sure what he's quoting that disputes that. Since he uses VGChartz to make the point, he must have just skipped this part.

As for PSN vs. XBL, Live is better this generation for sure. I don't think that translates into it automatically being better next, especially when one of the major factors that allowed it to be is something Sony picked up (which is why they started charging for it).

And if consoles are entertainment hubs, then the PS3 has the 360 beat for that hands down, easily, worldwide. Will that translate into sales of the PS4 for the same thing, or the XB1 for what they offer? I honestly couldn't imagine why, when I can buy an AppleTV box or something similar for around $100 and get something as good or better than what I'd be getting for $400 or $500 if I'm not looking for a gaming console. I want my console to be an entertainment hub, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $400-$500 for it for that reason when I can get a good box and for less than a quarter of that price.

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
7. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:14 PropheT

I like the art style of the game, and it sounds great. I'm really looking forward to it, or will be in whatever year it finally comes out.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 1, 2013, 12:25 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 11:29:
They can disband the TSA, but it's not really going to achieve anything. You still need security workers at airports, that's going to remain a shitty job, so only people without the skills to do anything else will take said jobs, and they will be bitter assholes because they're stuck in a dead-end position with no prospects while working for shitty pay.

Whether we call them the TSA or Airport Security or T.I.T.S. won't make any difference.

Creston

Sure it would, if it was done right. They could do it like they handle food safety with the FDA right now, where actual company-accountable workers do the major work under the oversight of a handful of Homeland Security inspectors instead of them all being unionized low-paid government workers with all the problems that brings. People aren't necessarily bitter jackasses with no pride in their work just because they aren't making a lot of money, but the current situation makes it difficult to either make the workers happy and prideful of their work in the first place or to replace them with people who will be.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 1, 2013, 12:11 PropheT

Verno wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 09:54:
I even see Kinect defenders on forums which is hilarious because as a gaming peripheral it has totally failed the core market in every way possible. "Just think of what it can do, the technology is amazing!" uhh ok, what good is it aside from dancing games again? Nothing? Ok. Microsoft themselves can barely be bothered to support it with first party stuff.

That one bothers me, too. It's been around for years now, so people really should be replacing "think what it can do!" with "What does it do?" by now. I guess if I was making an argument for it I wouldn't touch "What does it do?" because the answer is, like you said, just dancing games.

As for the AI capability claim, I can see it if they're talking about networked behavioral tracking to monitor how players are completing certain challenges and then adjusting the computer opponents to compensate. If they're talking about real-time cloud processing during races, though...I just don't see it with the latency involved.

News Comments > Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes
13. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 21:22 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 19:24:
Ah see that, you use humility and then I feel like the ass. Well played.

Nothing you said was wrong, not much else I could say there

11. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 19:11 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 18:54:
Well you haven't really even played it then to know much. I think every game ever released there has been someone out there who couldn't even get it to run. My point is, perhaps once you get past your bug and get to play more, perhaps there is something good there. That said, it sucks that buggy games are released, the only other half full comments I can make is, they are aware and focused it seems, a patch will be out today and it cost only $20. In yesteryear it would have been a fifty spot.

Well, obviously I haven't played it much, it doesn't work.

It's not about getting it to run, it starts just fine. Features in the game just plain don't work. The character creator doesn't work; create a character, save them, and look at them afterward. The stats and picture don't match what you just created. Try to leave that starting screen where you chose your characters, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Tooltips are incorrect, don't work, or just plain don't exist...and so on, and so on.

I won't argue that I'm a dumbass for buying it, though, that's kind of a given that this point :p

8. Re: Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Remake Woes Jul 31, 2013, 18:25 PropheT

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 14:26:
Believe me, you could make the most perfect game ever and still see the filth of the steam community.

Said it before: I pity any dev that steps foot in there.

This game deserves it. It shouldn't even be for sale.

I bought it because I loved the original ones, and can't really even get past the character creator. It's flat out broken, doesn't work. There are games on Steam being sold in Alpha and Beta states and are advertised that way and they work better than this game does being sold as it is.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer Details Jul 31, 2013, 13:15 PropheT

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 12:36:
I disagree, I've been asking for multiplayer, but co-op campaign. If they single player holds as well as the first 2 games, multiplayer is just more gravy.

MP is more like parsley. It looks nice to be there but no one actually does anything with it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 29, 2013, 22:34 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 19:33:
"The fact that Diablo II was still on shelves and still being played, in Korea particularly, 10 years after the fact of its release was something that I think Blizzard was kind of like… “Hey, we got the price of the box and not much else out of that.”

I think I'd be pointing out that there's a lot more to get out of a game that's that popular than just wondering how they could get more money from it, like the large number of people who would just buy Diablo 3 immediately just because it was Diablo 3. If anything, by not realizing that and by implementing the auction house and some of the things mentioned in that interview, they've shot themselves in the foot and taken away a good chunk of that good will if and when the next game does get released.

Maybe that's the problem now, though. If they're more interested in making a game that will make them constant money than they are in making a game so good that people are still playing it ten years from now, they aren't going to achieve either.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 22:19 PropheT

Flatline wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 21:19:
Fish *wanted* to be a public persona, and as Princess Diana can tell you, that has some fucking consequences to it. He could have hired someone to do PR for him and kept his mouth shut and kept on making games if that's what he loved, but he, to crib David Bowie, made love to his ego until he started believing his own hype.

But Fish was a nobody. I mean, he's sort of semi-famous among the gamer and internet crowd now, but even a great deal of them had never heard of him and even a good chunk who had only had heard of him because of someone complaining about him. If it wasn't for that I'd likely have no idea who he is, and I read gaming stuff every day.

He sure as hell wasn't married to royalty or just plain rock and roll royalty; his game didn't even sell all that many copies compared to non-indie titles out there. I'd be willing to bet he's more famous for a small handful of comments that have been dissected and torn apart to make him into a convenient villain rather than for the game he made at this point. That really says something about the community that he's decided he doesn't want to be part of, I think, and it's hard to disagree with that line of thinking.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 29, 2013, 14:25 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 12:25:
nin wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 10:00:
InBlack wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 09:44:
1 in 4 Young Adults Regret Social Media Posts Not Thinking Before Opening Their Mouth. (Or in this case before typing)

Also, anyone else notice that the 20-somethings are the new teens? As in all the angst, poor judgement, bad hormones, attitudes and personality problems have seemingly been extended by about 10+ years....

I blame Facebook...

I blame shitty parenting...

That is the last thing I blame.

What I found out is everyone is their own person.

I think the difference is that when we were 24, we had an idea of who we were already, or at least who we were going to become, and the freedom to follow that earlier.

Part of it is individualism and their drive to be independent and avoid this but as a general observation of people hitting their 20's right now, they aren't as ready for it because they're treated like kids right up until they leave the house...and more and more often that's not until several years after they turn 18. Kids are getting their driver's licenses later, moving out later, having society put rules on them that differentiates them between adulthood and being kids later.

Part of that is because society blames parents for things 16 and 17 year olds are doing under the insane assumption that they haven't developed their own will by then, but the other side of that is that so many parents seem pretty willing to follow along with the idea. It's less about varying degrees of stupidity and more about varying degrees of responsibility and accountability, and younger people seem to have less of that now than even ten or twenty years ago.

1969 Comments. 99 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo