Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2117 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 23:11 PropheT

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 22:58:
So cheap and simple games (read "mobile games") can get away with FTP and DLC models. But either AAA games go away, or the cost drop will never be as extreme as he predicts...

That depends, with the way things have moved over time it's feasible that core games drop to nothing or next to nothing while having modular releases that help offset development costs. CoD for $5, multiplayer add-on for $25, map packs at $10 each, and so on. It'd take a momentum shift in the gaming community, but the acceptance of DLC now is far beyond what it was at the beginning of the last console generation so it's not out of the question.

The biggest barrier in the way is that someone has to take the leap to see what the return on investment winds up being. If Activision were to learn that they can move more units with that kind of model while finding a monetization scheme that actually works and doesn't alienate their players it'd be everywhere in a year.

It might not be a bad idea, all told. I don't think most of us relish buying piecemeal games, but if niche or risky titles can find some success this way by not having to convince people to pay $60 up front just to try them out it could lead to some better options than we have now and actually have the big publishers putting out some things that compete creatively with indies again. Or, it might just be a shitty deal that means we pay more in smaller chunks for the same thing we got before.

Either way is probably more likely 5-10 years in the future than games just staying $60 like they are right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 12:36 PropheT

I impulse bought it last night, and it's pretty good. The combat is fun, and if you like South Park it more or less gives you free reign to run around and visit all different parts of the town and its characters.

If you play, be sure to take a side trip to Cartman's mom's room upstairs. Looting the drawers there made me laugh way too much.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2014, 22:58 PropheT

nin wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:49:
I'm not going to pay $30 (current price on Steam)

Saw that as well, and laughed my ass off. Acti is always stingey when it comes to sales...

It's usually deeply discounted on the Summer/Winter sales at least, I don't think I paid more than $7 or $8 for it.

It's one of the best single-player FPS campaigns I've played, too, I really enjoyed it. It's worth grabbing and playing through if you do get it for a good price, but it's not terribly long so not sure I'd pay $30 for it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2014, 22:56 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 20:27:
Maybe we don't NEED 1 gbps, but 100mpbs should be the bare minimum at this point.

We just got 30 where I live recently, and by 30 I mean 15. Or maybe 10. Usually not less than that, though, unless you use it at a time when other people are awake.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2014, 18:05 PropheT

What's the percentage of those people that don't realize there's no competitor to go to if they leave?

If mine up and left we'd be internet partying like it's 1995, assuming there's actually a dial up provider still around here to even do that.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2014, 13:45 PropheT

Pigeon wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 11:59:
I let the update install last night, but I've yet to actually play. That certainly doesn't sound ideal as you can't use your high gear-level character to grind high level gear for an alt. Still a better system than the hours of crap useless gear that was in place before. At least in the new system if you play the character you should see useful drops.

You don't have to. It took me 10-20 minutes to completely re-gear all of my old characters into decent stuff with the new loot system, and if you're not playing to upgrade your gear that sort of takes the fun out of playing anyway.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 2, 2014, 21:20 PropheT

Simon Says wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 17:14:
Its been a TREMENDOUS REVOLUTION in the area of free speech and access to information. It freed a lot of us from the tyranny of information control by the mainstream media and the propagandists out there.

Maybe, it's usually just a cascade of information that's rarely fact-checked anywhere along the line. Social media reports unsubstantiated claims, mainstream media carries it untouched, other internet places carry it because the mainstream media had it. Day 2 or 3 it finally gets fact-checked and corrected if necessary, but attention spans are short enough that it's kind of beside the point by then and most people never notice.

As someone who speaks with people from all over the world daily as part of my job, the difference in people over the last decade has been dramatic as well. People are more insular, more demanding of instant gratification, and far less personable. While definitely arguable, I'd attribute that to the death of courtesy that internet interaction has brought. At the same time, I don't feel that certain social and civil movements, like the advancement of gay rights or marijuana use (if you're into that) would be anywhere near that points they're at now if it wasn't for the internet... so good for society, yes, but on a more individual basis we have a long way to go.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2014, 14:43 PropheT

Axis wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:06:
Hey Franken, how about you worry about the US and Britain's promise to Ukraine? That's a hell of a serious issue that NO ONE is reporting here in the US...

Everyone has reported on it in the U.S., it just didn't become a major news point until Russian troops showed up there.

Franken wasn't talking about the Ukraine because he's part of the oversight on the merger that's in question here, and foreign policy and the U.S.'s adherence to a treaty with the Ukraine isn't really something a senator from Minnesota is going to be a big part of.

And as far as Obama goes, I'd think it's in the best interest of the people he represents to avoid going to war with Russia. I'm not sure what you want him to do at this point. It also has absolutely nothing to do with any one of the topics at hand here.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 18:08 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 13:19:
So 4K gaming will be a PC only thing for the foreseeable future and as someone who games primarily on the PC, I am totally OK with that.

4K gaming isn't even realistic on current PC hardware, at least in any single-card configuration. It'll be a while before it's even realistic to say it's a common option on PC, and with the new gen of consoles not using it I doubt it'll be a major factor even on PC at any point during their life span.

The displays aren't there yet, the video cards to drive it aren't there yet, and the games to utilize it aren't around yet and with nothing to really get people to buy into it even a few years from now it's unlikely to happen. It's just not affordable enough and there's no real driver to change its adoption rate right now.

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
37. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 21:53 PropheT

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:49:
All these ships will be available to the person who paid $30.00 for the game. You don't have to pay a penny more if you don't want to.

So...what are you buying then? They're clearly selling something here, it's a vote on having microtransactions for something that's not finished yet (which is still DLC).

If it's like Warframe where you can earn it all in-game or buy it from their store, that's pretty much just buying DLC. EA has paid unlocks constantly and gets torn to hell over it, Free to play games have it as part of their business model... what's different here?

Slinkycatz wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 20:10:
Other than the cool concept art, this news is actually boring and insignificant... seeing some of you twist this into your convoluted conspiracy theories to make it match what you've personally been believing all along is ridiculous, frankly.

Again, the only reason anyone is saying anything is because this game has ballooned to a huge amount of funding but the only news that ever comes out of it seems to be new ways for people to throw more money at it. I haven't bought into it, I don't know much about it other than what I see here (and from the web site I can't tell if it's a single player game or a F2P MMO, even), and most of what I've seen has been positive here... but I'm not seeing anything unreasonable about people wondering where the line is drawn between news about the game moving forward and about the next new way for more money to be spent on it before there's anything to play.

The only thing I ever see about it is that the game hits a new funding goal, celebrated by selling more stuff.

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
32. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:38 PropheT

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:21:
since when do games that are 50% complete or whatever % they are at complete are required to have SOMETHING PLAYABLE or else is a scam or a runaway train wreck or whatever else...?

and lets not forget no one is forcing anyone to pledge more money.
The base game can be bought for $30 bucks.

All the hate this game gets is pretty hilarious...

I don't think anyone is hating on the game, it's just a little crazy that there's DLC for a game that isn't even out yet.

When 9 out of 10 crowdfunded projects over-promise and under-deliver you're going to raise eyebrows when selling additional content during development for a game that hasn't been made yet. I don't see this as being much different than people being upset about on-disc DLC, it's parts that are being made along with the main game but are being sold alongside it.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2014, 18:04 PropheT

...and other kinds of video-type things where there's a lot of killing involved.

Like crime dramas on Fox?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2014, 16:41 PropheT

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 14:17:
Haha no, like Blue said it's not so much the volume of snow as the very low temperatures without much respite. The accumulation here has been insane despite average levels of snowfall, there's been basically no thaw until today. I had some drifts that were getting scary big.

We're starting to pack up the snow pretty bad here, too, since it's been steady cold all winter. We're getting dumped on again today, too, with what they're saying is another 10-14" or so (in SE MN).

It's less snow than we had a few years ago overall, it's just that none of it has melted since the first of it started to stick to the ground.

News Comments > Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims
64. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 16:31 PropheT

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 15:01:
Though I'm sure they are not paying anyone off, they are the ones who were "paid off" to make it exclusive, and their benefactors are the ones paying people off.

Yeah. I doubt anyone thinks Respawn is doing it, but it's hard to believe that EA isn't. His response is like being pissed that people associate you with mobsters while you're eating pastrami with the Gambini family.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 19, 2014, 12:09 PropheT

And meanwhile, despite part of the premise of net neutrality being struck down in the first place being that consumers could switch to a competitor if they didn't like their provider's practices, Comcast is attempting a huge merger that would even further dwindle or outright eliminate competition in many areas.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 19:29 PropheT

Woo, thanks!

And welcome back, was nice to see everything working again.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
2. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 10, 2014, 18:38 PropheT

Not sure what they're expecting if Rocksmith is a disappointment with a million sold. It's not exactly Guitar Hero, and I can't imagine educational software like that normally sells like a AAA video game.

It's brilliant, though, I'm kind of amazed at how well it works. I've "played" for a long time, but it was awesome how quickly Rocksmith helped get over that hump to go from ok-sounding dicking around to actually playing songs. I do wish it had a better song list, though.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 12:40 PropheT

Wildone wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 11:57:
Poppycock. Its BAD MOVIES that are the problem, reboot reboot reboot. Im done with reboots whether its 3d or not. This is just lame excuse making.

That doesn't bother me all that much, honestly, and I'd still see quite a few movies if it wasn't $30-40 for two people to go with just tickets, a modest popcorn (if there is such a thing at a theater), and a drink. You have to really want to see something to pay what they want for it anymore, and no one I know has any interest in 3D movies in the first place.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Feb 7, 2014, 21:50 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 21:11:
But the writing has been on the wall for a good long time as well. WoW subscriptions peaked in 2010. LotRO went free to play in 2010, DDO went in 2009. Star Trek Online went free to play 2 years ago. SW:TOR was the last major MMO to launch with a monthly fee in 2011, and it lasted about a year before going free to play. So, they've had plenty of time to read the writing and change accordingly, and apparently they've stuck to their guns. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not, but you'd better have something pretty fcking special to buck the trend and get away with it.

Those games, like most that started with a sub, didn't go free to play for any reason other than because they were going to fail otherwise and, with the possible exception being LOTRO, they were failing because generally speaking they weren't particularly good games.

WoW still has impressive sub numbers, even now. A lot of free to play games require a money commitment that's over and above what you'd pay for a monthly sub, like SW:TOR where you're barely getting a game unless you sub anyway so heralding it as F2P is sort of pointless. Also, SW:TOR wasn't the last MMO to launch with a monthly fee, either. FFXIV launched (again) last year with one and seems to be doing just fine with it. I believe EVE still has one.

I don't believe that the market is demanding free to play as much as that the NA/EU pool of players is finite and pulling players from one game to the next to create a domino effect after they vacate a game. Frankly, it doesn't matter; if players aren't willing to put the money into the game in order to keep it alive at whatever level the publisher and developer requires, whether with a sub or without, the game dies. Someone has to pay for it somewhere along the line, so gamers can bitch about subs or they can bitch about microtransactions but they're going to need to accept one or the other (and probably both for anything that's going to be considered AAA) if they aren't just going to accept that the game shut down entirely otherwise.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers Feb 6, 2014, 21:03 PropheT

NKD wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 18:49:
They'll get a bigger boost when they ship Warlords. (Rumor has it, this summer.)

I'm really excited for the new character models. The ones I've seen they've done a really incredible job with, I think it'll breathe some life back into things a lot for me when they go live.

2117 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo