Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2130 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
25. Re: Game Reviews Mar 11, 2014, 15:15 PropheT

They're really not a bad review site, although I think many will find their morality meter kind of useless. At least they're not shilling games based on advertising dollars and hype like so many of the others.

The game in general is...yeah. If someone is offended by anything at all, you're probably going to find something that offends you in the game. That's not much different than the show itself, anymore, though it's strange to see The Stick of Truth push boundaries like that in a game since it's so damn rare to see a video game actually take risks like that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 10, 2014, 22:57 PropheT

He's talking more about embracing coveillance rather than surveillance, which is just a nice way of saying that you can embrace the always-monitored status of life by broadcasting yourself via Facebook and Twitter or emergent systems that do the same. His view is that surveillance is inevitable so we might as well embrace it by doing the job for the people who would do it ourselves.

Seems like utter horseshit to me, personally, for nothing else but the simple fact that people use Facebook and Twitter for you to see what they want you to see and only what they want you to see. The idea that a human impulse to share outweighs a human impulse for privacy is ridiculous when the personas that people paint online, even on social networks, are virtually never what that person is actually like in a face to face reality.

There's a big difference between a person that you can see at the moments of their choice and a person you can see at any given time. One, people are comfortable with...the other I can guarantee they aren't.

News Comments > The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Next Month
8. Re: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Next Month Mar 10, 2014, 20:54 PropheT

Efflixi wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:16:
I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Me too, I thought it was very good. I loved the music in the game.

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
11. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 10, 2014, 20:48 PropheT

Trevellian wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 20:08:
While ya'll are sitting here being crotchety as fuck for no good reason I'm going to enjoy the best fast paced FPS I've played (in BETA) in years.

But nobody really was doing that.

From the Gamespot review:
Chris Watters played Titanfall for two days straight at a review event run by EA, where he encountered server issues allegedly caused by small player population.

From the Gamesradar review:
Listen, I know you're worried about Titanfall's servers, and I actually don't know how well they'll work just yet. In my 20 odd hours with the game dropped connection a few times and had problems connecting with players, and most people who tried to play the beta with friends found they spent more time fighting the servers than they did enemy titans. How will it all shake out? No one will know for sure until it launches, but I don't blame you for waiting a week or two to see how the servers hold up.

So, nobody here was really saying anything that wasn't in the reviews that were linked here anyway.

It'd be a bad idea to just jump into another EA game without worries about the server stability; people get burned by it repeatedly, so taking a tentative approach with the next shiny thing that comes out instead of just saying "but I LOVE shiny things!" seems kind of smart.

I think it's interesting that of the reviewers who list that they played it at the EA event, only some point out the issues while others never mention them at all (Polygon, surprise).

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 9, 2014, 22:40 PropheT

Pigeon wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 13:02:
The changes are all focused around mouse and keyboard users, to make certain features more accessible to the mouse.

You really have to wonder why that would be happening now at this point rather than before a release candidate was ever even put out.

News Comments > PC Dark Souls II Next Month
18. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 7, 2014, 01:52 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 00:05:
Regional pricing is immoral?

For digital downloads, it is pretty messed up when it's $60 here but then sells for the equivalent of $80 or even more in the U.K. or Australia. VAT accounts for some of the difference in the U.K. and Europe, but not all of it, and Australia doesn't really have any set reason as to why it's so much more and have brought it up even in government to inquire as to why they're being charged as much as they are (although I have no idea what, if anything, came of that).

9. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 6, 2014, 20:31 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 18:18:
Just avoid the spoilers. I don't see how you'd see them unless you were going to specific sites looking for them. And it sounds like they're really trying to do right on this port so you'd be nuts, nuts I tell you, if you didn't go the PC route.

That's easier said than done, though, at least with a month and a half in between. There's an accepted grace period of a couple of weeks usually after a game comes out where spoilers are scarce, and then after that it's in thread titles and thumbnails and everywhere else so that the only way to avoid them is to avoid gaming sites altogether.

Not that it's a huge deal with Dark Souls, but still.

mag wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 18:33:
After spending 500 hours on Dark Souls 1... I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy it for both the PS3 and PC. I want to get in on the ground floor, man!

That's what I did last time, but I feel as nuts as I actually am when I do things like that.

News Comments > Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans
3. Re: Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn Plans Mar 6, 2014, 18:15 PropheT

Next thing you know they'll be announcing a sequel to Steel.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 18:14 PropheT

I'm still stoked for this, personally.  

1. Re: PC Dark Souls II Next Month Mar 6, 2014, 18:12 PropheT

I'm kind of torn on which version to pick up. I want the PC version, but I don't want half the game spoiled for me by the time it comes out.

Time to decide if I keep my console preorder or just wait now :p

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Mar 6, 2014, 13:45 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 09:49:
If it weren't Blizzard this game would be like any other and not get 3rd and 4th chances and would have run its course in short order.

Be realistic. If this wasn't Blizzard, whoever made it would have cut their losses a year ago and it wouldn't even still be updated. The reason Blizzard gets the second chances is because they keep supporting their games long after anyone else would have stopped.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2014, 13:42 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 08:50:
Yeah it's been pretty brutal, we got another dump of snow a few days ago. Weather Network called for half an inch, we got 4. It was also -20.

Yeah, we had a 3-5" forecast earlier this week and came out of it just shy of 10". Daughter got her car stuck, half an hour off of work to get it dug out and get her going, did it again today and after an hour I finally had to spend $50 to get it towed out of where she got it stuck.

Winter this year wins, I give up. So ready for it to be over, seems like every week it's either record cold or record snowfall. Or both.

News Comments > Funcom Financials Fall
6. Re: RE: Follow up Mar 5, 2014, 21:54 PropheT

UConnBBall wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 20:12:
My favorite MMORPG was Anarchy Online it was the only deep game out there.

The thing I don't get is that there's still, to this day, nothing remotely like it.

I'm not sure I understand the reluctance there seems to be to make sci-fi MMO's instead of cookie cutter fantasy games. Not that I dislike fantasy, but they've really hit the point where they feel pretty same-y and still no one is really attempting much for sci-fi.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 23:11 PropheT

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 22:58:
So cheap and simple games (read "mobile games") can get away with FTP and DLC models. But either AAA games go away, or the cost drop will never be as extreme as he predicts...

That depends, with the way things have moved over time it's feasible that core games drop to nothing or next to nothing while having modular releases that help offset development costs. CoD for $5, multiplayer add-on for $25, map packs at $10 each, and so on. It'd take a momentum shift in the gaming community, but the acceptance of DLC now is far beyond what it was at the beginning of the last console generation so it's not out of the question.

The biggest barrier in the way is that someone has to take the leap to see what the return on investment winds up being. If Activision were to learn that they can move more units with that kind of model while finding a monetization scheme that actually works and doesn't alienate their players it'd be everywhere in a year.

It might not be a bad idea, all told. I don't think most of us relish buying piecemeal games, but if niche or risky titles can find some success this way by not having to convince people to pay $60 up front just to try them out it could lead to some better options than we have now and actually have the big publishers putting out some things that compete creatively with indies again. Or, it might just be a shitty deal that means we pay more in smaller chunks for the same thing we got before.

Either way is probably more likely 5-10 years in the future than games just staying $60 like they are right now.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 12:36 PropheT

I impulse bought it last night, and it's pretty good. The combat is fun, and if you like South Park it more or less gives you free reign to run around and visit all different parts of the town and its characters.

If you play, be sure to take a side trip to Cartman's mom's room upstairs. Looting the drawers there made me laugh way too much.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 3, 2014, 22:58 PropheT

nin wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 18:49:
I'm not going to pay $30 (current price on Steam)

Saw that as well, and laughed my ass off. Acti is always stingey when it comes to sales...

It's usually deeply discounted on the Summer/Winter sales at least, I don't think I paid more than $7 or $8 for it.

It's one of the best single-player FPS campaigns I've played, too, I really enjoyed it. It's worth grabbing and playing through if you do get it for a good price, but it's not terribly long so not sure I'd pay $30 for it.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2014, 22:56 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 20:27:
Maybe we don't NEED 1 gbps, but 100mpbs should be the bare minimum at this point.

We just got 30 where I live recently, and by 30 I mean 15. Or maybe 10. Usually not less than that, though, unless you use it at a time when other people are awake.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2014, 18:05 PropheT

What's the percentage of those people that don't realize there's no competitor to go to if they leave?

If mine up and left we'd be internet partying like it's 1995, assuming there's actually a dial up provider still around here to even do that.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2014, 13:45 PropheT

Pigeon wrote on Mar 3, 2014, 11:59:
I let the update install last night, but I've yet to actually play. That certainly doesn't sound ideal as you can't use your high gear-level character to grind high level gear for an alt. Still a better system than the hours of crap useless gear that was in place before. At least in the new system if you play the character you should see useful drops.

You don't have to. It took me 10-20 minutes to completely re-gear all of my old characters into decent stuff with the new loot system, and if you're not playing to upgrade your gear that sort of takes the fun out of playing anyway.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 2, 2014, 21:20 PropheT

Simon Says wrote on Mar 2, 2014, 17:14:
Its been a TREMENDOUS REVOLUTION in the area of free speech and access to information. It freed a lot of us from the tyranny of information control by the mainstream media and the propagandists out there.

Maybe, it's usually just a cascade of information that's rarely fact-checked anywhere along the line. Social media reports unsubstantiated claims, mainstream media carries it untouched, other internet places carry it because the mainstream media had it. Day 2 or 3 it finally gets fact-checked and corrected if necessary, but attention spans are short enough that it's kind of beside the point by then and most people never notice.

As someone who speaks with people from all over the world daily as part of my job, the difference in people over the last decade has been dramatic as well. People are more insular, more demanding of instant gratification, and far less personable. While definitely arguable, I'd attribute that to the death of courtesy that internet interaction has brought. At the same time, I don't feel that certain social and civil movements, like the advancement of gay rights or marijuana use (if you're into that) would be anywhere near that points they're at now if it wasn't for the internet... so good for society, yes, but on a more individual basis we have a long way to go.

2130 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo