Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2133 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Mar 22, 2014, 01:57 PropheT

He is kind of right here. He might have deserved a lot of the hate he got, minus the death threats and whackjob nerdraging obviously, but not everyone does.

I still don't think it's exclusive to gaming, though. The smartest thing that creators can do right now, whether it's books or TV or games, is to not read internet feedback and just focus on their vision of what they want to create. Part of the reason feedback got to be the way it has been is because content creators started reading that feedback and started trying to please everyone, which pleased no one and just made everyone bitter. More bitter.

It's sort of like the line from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that went something like, "In the beginning the universe was created, which made people very angry and has been widely regarded as being a bad move." People are never happy, so just make your game and if you do it well it'll matter to the people it should matter to.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Double XP Weekend
33. Re: Diablo III Double XP Weekend Mar 22, 2014, 01:48 PropheT

Quinn wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 22:50:
The best legendaries will be replaced with better normal rare drops in RoS and paragon levels only start making a real difference after you've reached a pretty hardcore paragon level. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hated the game at release. Bought the expansion today. Great improvements since the initial release.

You don't really need an extremely high paragon level to make a difference. I'm at 35, which doesn't seem incredibly high, but it's 5% run speed and some life on hit and resistances... it's not game-changing for sure, but I notice. That'd be fairly easy to get to in a weekend with 100% XP bonus.

When they originally announced the expansion it just made me kind of sad because of how disappointing the game was, but now I'm excited for Tuesday. I totally understand where people still might not want to jump into it, especially if the always-online part was a major factor, but Blizzard sticking with the game and improving it like they have is admirable and appreciated.

Now if they can make the story in the expansion not be as embarrassingly stupid like the first four acts I'd buy them all a beer

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 21, 2014, 00:03 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 22:09:
We don't negotiate with terrorists.

No kidding.

I think "ransom" would be the appropriate wording since they were basically holding Netflix's traffic hostage until they were paid.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 20, 2014, 22:26 PropheT

I didn't realize it was episodic, all the information I'd seen earlier today seemed to suggest it was just a big add-on patch. That's...kind of cool, actually, and a good idea to give legs to the game.

I'm really hoping I can get it downloaded in a reasonable amount of time after work tonight since I pre-ordered directly from PSN, but not holding my breath. Tomorrow will be good, though.

News Comments > GDC Award Winners
22. Re: GDC Award Winners Mar 20, 2014, 20:18 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 15:09:
God, The Walking Dead is unwatchable muck.

The Last of Us has a gruff, tough, largely silent male protagonist... that's not exactly pushing boundaries.

I was talking more about the Telltale games than the TV series, I'd actually agree with you about that.

News Comments > GDC Award Winners
14. Re: GDC Award Winners Mar 20, 2014, 13:54 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 12:42:
I think that is due to the technical quality of the game as well as the exemplary writing and voice acting, none of which can be argued as being anything other than fantastic.

Yeah, it can. The writing is nothing special at all, and I'll forever be amazed that people think otherwise when it does nothing that you haven't seen anywhere else multiple times before. If you've seen a zombie movie you aren't going to be surprised by anything in the game; the story isn't terribly different from the Walking Dead in a lot of ways, and those games are much better at telling it.

From a technical standpoint, the AI in the game is oblivious to your companion, lending to situations where you can be trying to hide from someone but she'll just stand there as they literally walk right into her and nothing happens; Bioshock Infinite did this better, and it came out around the same time, and people complain. Ico did it better and it came out years ago.

Still, I can understand TLOU winning a lot of awards since gaming awards are basically a big popularity contest anyway. The ambassador award thing makes me want to throw up.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 19, 2014, 21:45 PropheT

I can't find a video, but all I could think of when I saw that is the old Adam West Batman movie where the Bat-copter gets shot down by the Riddler and they're lucky enough to crash land at a foam mattress convention.  

News Comments > WildStar Preorders
13. Re: WildStar Preorders Mar 19, 2014, 19:06 PropheT

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 18:25:
Wildstar is here to refine something certain players savor, not introduce anything new. In that respect I think it's helping herald the endpoint of one fork of the MMO storyline.

That's basically what WoW did when it came out, too, so if Wildstar can actually do that I'd be pretty impressed.

I like MMO's and I have no doubt I'll play it, but for some reason though I'm having trouble actually getting excited for it.

16. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 21:49 PropheT

Panickd wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 18:57:
And, like I said, the bracket is meaningless. None of the companies that have been featured on it have ever done thing one to fix their shitty public images, and they still make tons of money so they have no impetus to change.

There's not a publicly traded company in the world that wouldn't care about being on a worst list. The only ones that I can see not being worried about damaging their brand would be the banks, because really what the hell can any one actually do to them. Most, if not all, of these companies spend a fairly serious amount of money on PR; part of the reason EA gets as much hate as it does is just because the people they're dealing with are the customers directly rather than a Monsanto that's typically selling to distributors and doesn't usually have direct contact with their end consumer like EA does.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
42. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2014, 18:37 PropheT

Axis wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 15:36:
Yea I'm talking this last week, been on V2, had the game for 5 days now. The lag has been terrible every night I've played.

I haven't noticed any lag at all recently, and I've played quite a bit since the loot update. I don't get to play prime time because of my work hours, but the hours I've been on (including the weekends) it's been fine.

8. Re: etc., etc. Mar 18, 2014, 18:31 PropheT

EA winning this like they have speaks more about the gaming community than it does about them. It makes gamers look like spoiled brats if EA wins this annually when up against companies on the list that are doing things that actually ruin people's lives and damage communities.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Mar 17, 2014, 22:35 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 21:00:
And it was just so pathetic, the rationalizations from the fanboys actually stupid enough to buy this thing. 'Oh no, this build is several months old, the latest build is near perfect and has way more stuff!' Yeah? Wow, what a brilliant marketing plan. Hey let's put out a final beta weekend that's a complete POS and that'll guarantee us sales! Derp!

Yeah, that one kind of kills me. People have been saying it since the first test I played in months ago, too, so three months ago they were saying the actual game was on 4.01 or whatever the version number was. Then the next test would roll around and we'd be on 4.01, but the actual game was on 4.03 where everything would be better... even though nothing had really changed since the last version and the 4.01 that we were now on that was supposed to fix everything last test. I'm convinced they're the same people who were trying to convince everyone that SE held back content from FFXIV before it launched and the beta didn't have everything (it did).

I'll play this game, and have kind of enjoyed it after getting over the initial disappointment with it, but it's hard to argue against the complaints. This past weekend's test was actually buggier than the test a few weeks ago, and release is fast approaching...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 16:24 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 15:05:
But they're supposed to be like minions from a MOBA game. They've kind of been upfront about that from the start. Every time someone has complained about the AI I've pointed this out, but no one seems to care.

The problem I have with that is this: Titanfall’s A.I. Is “Processed in the Cloud” For All Versions, Says Respawn

If the AI is only mindless MOBA-minion bots...what's the point? You're either offloading something that doesn't need to be offloaded from the client side, or the functions they intended to be possible with cloud-based AI processing aren't worth the trouble.

Something doesn't click with the explanation. There's no point in offloading the AI to the cloud if you're not going to do anything with it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 13:54 PropheT

From what they were talking about that I read pre-launch, the cloud comes in to assist with AI in the game... and everyone I've seen talk about that says it's braindead.

He's not even talking about cloud here from what I can tell, he's describing virtualization. That does let them do cool things, like save a lot of money on hosting, but I'm not sure where the consumer-end interest really is supposed to materialize from that.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 16, 2014, 23:02 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 16:13:
PropheT wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 15:48:
I think gamers have been misled over the quality of Dark Souls 2 in general. I'm curious to see what people are saying about it a month from now once the new-game shine wears off.

The same thing they said about Demons Souls and Dark Souls? The games are rarely a big departure from each other.

DS2 feels and handles differently to a much higher degree than anything I've read suggests it does. It doesn't control like the first two games; it's not as tight, it's faster, there's far more gotcha moment encounters designed to kill the player and it doesn't favor the methodical defensive approach that the other games had by instead preferring a fast-paced survival horror vibe.

I'm sure some people will love it, but even though I liked the first two quite a bit I don't feel the same way about this one because it is more different from the first two than I expected. It sort of looks and acts like the other Souls games but I don't think it feels like them.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 16, 2014, 15:48 PropheT

I think gamers have been misled over the quality of Dark Souls 2 in general. I'm curious to see what people are saying about it a month from now once the new-game shine wears off.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 16, 2014, 01:59 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 16:46:
The RIAA can suck raw eggs. At least Google has it's head on straight:

Not to mention it's a little nuts to expect Google to police every site that they link to. If a copyright holder can't be bothered to watch for issues with their own content I don't understand why they think Google should do it for them. I'd be tempted to answer their request by de-listing anything the RIAA touches for a period of time just to get the point across on who's holding all the cards.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 13:21 PropheT

avianflu wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:32:
Mixed feeling about this: I order a lot from Amazon and with Prime. It is really "2 business day" delivery and even that limitation comes with several caveats about holidays not counting, and exactly when in the day the order is placed, etc. With Prime, too many times I've ordered on Monday and not seen the package until the next Monday.

The shippers don't deliver on non-business days, and holidays aren't business days. That's the same no matter where you get anything, it's sure not an Amazon thing. The time of day thing is an odd argument, too, since obviously they have to work with their shipping on that; despite that, it's not unusual that I can buy something at 6pm and have it the next morning if I wanted. There's nowhere else on the internet I can do that.

I've had one thing take a week to arrive before, and that was after the ice storm in the south this winter that had UPS backed up like a fat guy on a cheese-only diet. If it's something actually sold by and stocked by Amazon, the one or two cases where it took longer than advertised was because UPS or FedEx didn't deliver it on time.

I've also never had anything ship USPS from them before if 2-day was selected, and I buy from them all the time.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
21. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 23:45 PropheT

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 22:19:
But that point is exactly why these games are so great, to some/many. Last of us has you connect to a character while Papers Please makes you realize that if you sat there, doing that exact job in that situation, you'd become corrupt faster than you can scream "decency" and "never".

All of these games, require you to connect to the situation on a psychological level. And I can fully understand if some people don't like that. I do love it though Maybe you will be converted once full VR is realized, with good "Presence"

The Last of Us, in my mind at least, did the equivalent of showing you a puppy. See how cute that is? Of course you do, it's a puppy. Now I'm going to do bad things with it, because everyone loves puppies and that's guaranteed to get a response. It's like a click-bait article, you lure them in with a guaranteed emotion grabber and then rattle it around to stir them up... it just never holds up later, or if you recognize it and feel scammed in the first place. The intro sequence to the game with Joel's daughter is powerful, but it's cheapened because you know exactly where it's going. The rest of the game isn't any different to me, it's been done before.

I completely understand that that's what they were going for, but my problem is that they feel like that's what they were going for. I have a teenage daughter, I know what it's like to deal with it every day; I didn't like Ellie. I didn't like Joel. It sort of made it impossible to empathize when them or reach the conclusion that the game wanted you to where you were ok with everything because you saw it from their perspective.

Papers, Please does a good job of what it's intending to do. It just isn't a fun game to me, unfortunately. It makes its point, and it's a good one, but it's not much of a game so once you've accepted what that point is there's no real pull to continue.

I don't like games I can't connect to on a psychological level (or emotional, at least). I don't like games, movies, or books with characters I can't empathize with. I'm just not fond of the heavy handed approach to storytelling, and being told what to feel doesn't work for me.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
11. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 21:26 PropheT

The only game on that entire list that I kind of enjoyed was Bioshock Infinite (I haven't played GTA V or FIFA).

The Last of Us is easily the most overrated game I've ever seen. I'm just not sure what people see in it... the gameplay wasn't particularly good and has been done better by other stealth games like Splinter Cell, Dishonored, or Deus Ex. The story is cliche and not all that interesting, using ham-fisted tropes to show just how much you're supposed to care at any given time and hammer into you each moment that you're supposed to be upset instead of trusting you enough to let you feel it on your own. I know people love it, for whatever reason, but goddamn I hated it and that it's being held up as example of what other games should be like.

Papers, Please seems overrated to me as well. Like the Stanley Parable, it's interesting for about half an hour and then it's forgettable since it's made its point and isn't particularly fun to play once that's over.

2133 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo