Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2166 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
14. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 16:08 PropheT

Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 15:40:
Five years in the making, never any progress, almost never any news. Hardly surprising.

Yeah. I honestly was surprised to see this story since I didn't know they'd still been making it, I thought it had slipped away a long time ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
7. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 12:59 PropheT

Announcement video.

Aww, yiss.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2014, 11:46 PropheT

Yeah, I can't top that  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 23:22 PropheT

StaTik wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 22:41:
Have I been living under a rock and they anounced gt5 for PC?

I've seen a lot of assumptions that it was coming out soon, but I don't think I've ever seen anything officially announced.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 19:44 PropheT

Both consoles look extremely weak when it comes to must-have, generation-defining software.

Better to have a story that says, "Video Game Journalism Has a Hyperbole Problem", since it'd be more accurate.

The only consoles defined by the software they released in the first 6 months of their availability were defined by that software because they weren't successful enough post-launch for their library to mature normally.

Development takes time, and not everyone wants to or can jump on board before knowing if the hardware install base will give them a return on the investment.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 16:34 PropheT

Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 11:05:
I'd say that if your industry is duping children to the tune of 2.4% of your total customer base (and let's be honest, that's what was reported, and likely nowhere near the entire total), that that is a SERIOUS FUCKING PROBLEM.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he was saying there. In the sentence before that he mentions that there's $6 billion in lifetime sales, and then in the next dismisses 2.4% of those sales being unauthorized purchases as being nothing to be concerned about. That's not exactly an insignificant amount of money.

In any case, the people who don't like free to play (myself included) generally are complaining because it's not a system designed to be better for the players, it's one designed to spread the cost out across the game in a way that means getting the same amount of content that you'd get for actually purchasing it would wind up costing even more money when bought as separate microtransactions. If you could buy the game OR get it piecemeal that would be one thing, but it's an all or nothing proposition with every game like this I know of; there's no consumer choice in how to buy, and any game designed as F2P is forced to push ways at having you keep pumping quarters into the machine.

Free to play can be just fine, but don't lie and tell me that it's done for my own good. Companies use the model because they can potentially make more money that way.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 19:47 PropheT

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 18:42:
Wow, harsh Infamous review...all I can say is I'm 3-4 hours in and having a blast.

Different strokes...

Yeah, I loved the whole thing. My only complaint was that it was too short (~15 hours at 100% completion with a good guy play through).

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 7, 2014, 22:55 PropheT

Just how screwed up are things when they give out awards for telling the truth. Oy  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Apr 5, 2014, 14:23 PropheT

I'm not sure it was one of the biggest clusterfucks ever, since it has actually sold pretty well since it launched. It's sort of a confusing system since many of the gripes about it are actually legitimate, but it still seems to do just fine anyway.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 17:06 PropheT

Zanderat1 wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 15:40:
How badly does this trample on lore? And how exactly does a TES game work as a MMO? Part of what makes the TES series is the single player open world aspect.

If anything, I'd actually say lore is a strong point of the game. It's set a long time before the single player games, from what I've gathered, before the lengthy Septim ruling chain of the Empire.

It's TES in that it uses the same lore, races, characterizations, locations, and so on. It has some of the feel of the single player games, but largely plays and progresses like an MMO. After the first 10 levels or so, you really do wind up just wandering and grabbing quests as you run into them, though; it's not as streamlined of a theme park as WoW or Warhammer and even seems a bit less directed than GW2 (although there's less choices of where to go than in GW2).

Where the single-player games are more about exploration and discovery, this is more about combat and storytelling. Whether that's good or bad will depend on player tastes, really.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
24. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 22:43 PropheT

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:35:
I normally give games a test run myself, but I value his gaming opinion, and after we played Wildstar, he said that it's WAY better in every way vs ESO.

Try them for yourself if you're interested. I'm enjoying ESO, but I don't think it's great; I don't regret paying for it. After trying Wildstar my interest in it is practically zero... it's good looking, but more or less plays and acts like DC Universe or Champions Online in a sci-fi/fantasy setting. The graphics and animations are fantastic, though.

They're very different games and will appeal to different people. Honestly, though, for what it's worth... if Warlords of Draenor hit right now I wouldn't play either of them.

22. Re: Anti-Gay Firefox Chief Brendan Eich Quits Days After OkCupid Backlash Apr 3, 2014, 22:37 PropheT

Loopy wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 22:22:
Taking one for the team and resigning is akin to being "forced out" now? Really?

People in this thread must have inside sources or something. All reports I've seen indicate he stepped down voluntarily, and the board did not, in fact, have to "show him the door."

He'd been on the job for all of about a week and had said in interviews that he wasn't going anywhere just a couple of days ago.

So no, he wasn't fired. But...

Not so, of course. In an interview this morning, Mozilla Executive Chairwoman Mitchell Baker said that Eich’s ability to lead the company that makes the Firefox Web browser had been badly damaged by the continued scrutiny over the hot-button issue, which had actually been known since 2012 inside the Mozilla community.

“It’s clear that Brendan cannot lead Mozilla in this setting,” said Baker, who added that she would not and could not speak for Eich. “The ability to lead — particularly for the CEO — is fundamental to the role and that is not possible here.”

She said that Eich — who created the JavaScript programming language, among other prominent computing achievements — had not been forced to resign by her or others on its board, which includes prominent Silicon Valley entrepreneur and investor Reid Hoffman.

“I think there has been pressure from all sides, of course, but this is Brendan’s decision,” Baker said. “Given the circumstances, this is not surprising.”

So, he wasn't fired but it was unanimously agreed upon by the board that he should go. Where I work that'd be akin to a "We're not firing you, but you know where the door is."

14. Re: Anti-Gay Firefox Chief Brendan Eich Quits Days After OkCupid Backlash Apr 3, 2014, 20:40 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:08:
He wasn't able to lead with this around him. No one will willingly follow someone they do not feel respects them when they can find someone that does.

That's the bottom line. It's important to note that it wasn't just OkCupid backlash that brought this out, either, but some of Mozilla's own people on Twitter as well.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
13. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 20:26 PropheT

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:21:
Its a little bit more then that for the classes. Each class has three branching tress of skills to choose. Some can heal or tank if they choose. The Nightblade for instance has a few ways to play. You can tank with the char if you choose, and its a petty deadly build at that.

I'm playing a melee DPS sorcerer, and it's been pretty fun and effective. Dual wield, medium armor, lightning finisher and a summoning magic ranged time bomb.

Once you get past that point and realize that the initial classes don't streamline you as much as it seems when you create the character, it opens up a lot of possibilities with the game. A medium armor bow templar would be a good class, for example, or could be a cloth wearing staff-wielding healer. Or a heavy armor sword and board tank.

I do wish the skills were more open and combinable than having them filtered through an initial class choice, but the potential there is still fairly significant compared to any other MMO I've played in recent memory.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 12:37 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 12:32:
I have a small TV in a room not good for a TV, so I keep it stashed away and take it out from time to time. It's hooked up to a Roku 3 I recently bought on Woot.
Wish I'd waited for this. But I use it maybe once a month...

I do the same thing. The Roku is adequate, but it's really nothing great; it's about on par with the on-set apps for a smart TV from what I've seen. They're functional but not impressive.

My friend's Apple TV is damn nice, but it doesn't work with Amazon's service so it's basically useless to me. If the FireTV can do things as well as the Apple TV does there really would be no reason to buy a Roku at that same price point.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 20:15 PropheT

nin wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 20:04:
Finally merging two products I care about!

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 16:28 PropheT

NKD wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:40:
The US is god damn awful for work-life balance. We get/take fewer vacation and sick days, we take more work home with us, and we're expected to be on-call even when we aren't technically.

It's just gotten worse in the last 4-5 years, too. The place I work for likes to brag about saving money and doing more with less, which just means we don't replace people that leave and the people who still work there have to pick up any work that they were doing.

They couldn't really cut our vacation time, so they made it harder to take it. There wasn't paid sick time, so they made it so that if you're sick more than a few times in a year you're formally reprimanded and threatened with termination. What are you going to do in this job market, quit?

I work for a company that gets onto those "best places to work" lists pretty regularly, too, sadly. A lot of people have it worse than I do. It seems like in the last few years, though, the job market went bad for workers and workplaces took any opportunity they could to exploit it into making it better for the businesses while pushing a hard line on you doing what's best for the company when that company will happily just lay you off with no notice the second your dollar value becomes inconvenient. 10 years ago they were nice enough to BS you about it, now they just tell you that you're expendable.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 13:52 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 11:32:
The Germany law could be useful in the states.

As far as I'm aware any non-exempt employee is supposed to have time documented and compensated for any off-hours work functions they do by law, it's just that some businesses don't do it the way they're supposed to.

The Amazon metacritic thing is probably a good move considering how useless the actual review scores for games and gaming consoles tend to be with Amazon's own rating system. They're abused terribly and aren't reliable because of the wackadoo gaming community using Amazon's review system as some kind of twisted activist sounding board rather than to gauge the value of a particular product.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 17:06 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 16:31:
I have been playing since Sunday at 2PM EDT. I have not crashed once, nor experienced any sort of bug either. I did lag rather badly a time or two, but this is probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever experienced. (And I used to work for MMORPG.com, I have experienced a lot of them.)

I enjoy the game, but Daggerfall Covenant's area seem more plagued by issues than the Dominion's. It's way more populated, and I think it's contributing to the issues; spawns on the docks not working for finding assassins, spawns for some necromancers who drop motes for a quest a little further on, the evil pirate captain that gets poisoned not completing her collapse animation making it impossible to choose her fate on the starting island, werewolves not spawning for another quest, horses not working for people who feed them unless they kill themselves with /stuck, falling through the world, etc. etc....those are just the ones I've seen personally, there have been more in chat. I'm enjoying it, like I said, but it's just impossible to recommend to anyone not willing to put up with those sorts of things.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 13:00 PropheT

I think it'd be worth mentioning that people who are interested may be better off waiting a while before jumping in. Broken quests and bugs are pretty much everywhere, from spawns that don't work to NPC callouts going over entire zones to event triggers that aren't working to outright crashing and login problems once you do. The servers are down completely right now. Stability wise, I'm impressed it's been up as much as it has because I hadn't expected it to be... but just like the last beta event, I'd swear it's buggier now than the game was two months ago and most of the bugs are exactly the same.  

2166 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo