Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2152 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 3, 2014, 12:37 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 12:32:
I have a small TV in a room not good for a TV, so I keep it stashed away and take it out from time to time. It's hooked up to a Roku 3 I recently bought on Woot.
Wish I'd waited for this. But I use it maybe once a month...

I do the same thing. The Roku is adequate, but it's really nothing great; it's about on par with the on-set apps for a smart TV from what I've seen. They're functional but not impressive.

My friend's Apple TV is damn nice, but it doesn't work with Amazon's service so it's basically useless to me. If the FireTV can do things as well as the Apple TV does there really would be no reason to buy a Roku at that same price point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 20:15 PropheT

nin wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 20:04:
Finally merging two products I care about!

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 16:28 PropheT

NKD wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:40:
The US is god damn awful for work-life balance. We get/take fewer vacation and sick days, we take more work home with us, and we're expected to be on-call even when we aren't technically.

It's just gotten worse in the last 4-5 years, too. The place I work for likes to brag about saving money and doing more with less, which just means we don't replace people that leave and the people who still work there have to pick up any work that they were doing.

They couldn't really cut our vacation time, so they made it harder to take it. There wasn't paid sick time, so they made it so that if you're sick more than a few times in a year you're formally reprimanded and threatened with termination. What are you going to do in this job market, quit?

I work for a company that gets onto those "best places to work" lists pretty regularly, too, sadly. A lot of people have it worse than I do. It seems like in the last few years, though, the job market went bad for workers and workplaces took any opportunity they could to exploit it into making it better for the businesses while pushing a hard line on you doing what's best for the company when that company will happily just lay you off with no notice the second your dollar value becomes inconvenient. 10 years ago they were nice enough to BS you about it, now they just tell you that you're expendable.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 2, 2014, 13:52 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 11:32:
The Germany law could be useful in the states.

As far as I'm aware any non-exempt employee is supposed to have time documented and compensated for any off-hours work functions they do by law, it's just that some businesses don't do it the way they're supposed to.

The Amazon metacritic thing is probably a good move considering how useless the actual review scores for games and gaming consoles tend to be with Amazon's own rating system. They're abused terribly and aren't reliable because of the wackadoo gaming community using Amazon's review system as some kind of twisted activist sounding board rather than to gauge the value of a particular product.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 17:06 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 16:31:
I have been playing since Sunday at 2PM EDT. I have not crashed once, nor experienced any sort of bug either. I did lag rather badly a time or two, but this is probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever experienced. (And I used to work for MMORPG.com, I have experienced a lot of them.)

I enjoy the game, but Daggerfall Covenant's area seem more plagued by issues than the Dominion's. It's way more populated, and I think it's contributing to the issues; spawns on the docks not working for finding assassins, spawns for some necromancers who drop motes for a quest a little further on, the evil pirate captain that gets poisoned not completing her collapse animation making it impossible to choose her fate on the starting island, werewolves not spawning for another quest, horses not working for people who feed them unless they kill themselves with /stuck, falling through the world, etc. etc....those are just the ones I've seen personally, there have been more in chat. I'm enjoying it, like I said, but it's just impossible to recommend to anyone not willing to put up with those sorts of things.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 13:00 PropheT

I think it'd be worth mentioning that people who are interested may be better off waiting a while before jumping in. Broken quests and bugs are pretty much everywhere, from spawns that don't work to NPC callouts going over entire zones to event triggers that aren't working to outright crashing and login problems once you do. The servers are down completely right now. Stability wise, I'm impressed it's been up as much as it has because I hadn't expected it to be... but just like the last beta event, I'd swear it's buggier now than the game was two months ago and most of the bugs are exactly the same.  

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 16:15 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 14:39:
There are so many great games coming out that I can't keep up. Half the games on Kickstarter are nostalgiafests that remake games from our younger days.

Some of them are really good, too, and upcoming games seem to be starting to shift from just nostalgia to creating new content with those old ideas by integrating some of the good systems that have advanced since those old games were made. Might and Magic X Legacy will probably wind up being one of my favorite games I've played this year, for example.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 12:23 PropheT

gsilver wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 10:50:
Yes, too much innovation is why the hundredth iteration of Mario doesn't sell, while stuff like Papers, Please, The Stanley Parable, and Gone Home are big on the PC.

Yeah, exactly. Nintendo isn't exactly the bastion of innovation that it gets made out to be.

Gamers saying they want innovation doesn't mean we don't want more sequels for the games we like, it means we want them to find new things to do with them that keep them fresh and still exciting after revisiting that formula for the third or fourth time or more. It's simple things, like playing a new MMO and getting to fight real things early on instead of gathering 500 boar pelts or getting a new multiplayer shooter where instead of victories that disappear the second a match is over a persistent battlefield exists for people to gain and lose ground on.

Games that appeal to the mom-casual audience might make a big enough splash that you can sell those specific games and do well to a point, but it's the hardcore gamers that buy that game and then the three next to it and make these systems actually float. Hardcore gamers have never been particularly fond enough of large shifts in their gaming experience that they want their controls to be all but foreign when they pick up a game they like, and they aren't going to buy into tablets and motion controls to play Super Mario Bros. 87 if the old controller was better...and that mom-casual audience isn't going to keep buying Super Mario Bros. 87 because they already have 4 different versions of it and they aren't that different.

Innovation, yes. Innovation where it doesn't necessarily make the experience better? No, of course not, and that doesn't matter if it's games or a phone or WebTV or whatever. Mario or Metroid Prime are good examples because its 3D versions might sell worse, but they're also fundamental changes to the game that don't by themselves make the franchise better rather than different.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced
6. Re: Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies Announced Mar 30, 2014, 01:56 PropheT

JAGUART wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 13:25:
The myriad of DLC for this has stomped on my interest in the game.

The first one is still a much better game and has held up well enough over time that I actually prefer the look of it to the sequel as well. I still play that one from time to time, but CoH 2 just doesn't scratch the same itch.

News Comments > WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend
9. Re: WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend Mar 29, 2014, 11:44 PropheT

NKD wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 23:11:
There's a new UI coming next month.

They really should have had something on the beta forums about it. Thanks for the info, that'll at least mean that I'll come back and try it again after they update it.

News Comments > WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend
2. Re: WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend Mar 28, 2014, 21:22 PropheT

Got invited to this and logged on to play a bit, and all I really had to say afterward was that the UI is godawful. Whether it was simple navigation on character creation menus, or trying to tell which chat bubble that was up on the screen was the one I was actually involved in, or figure out what a quest reward was from a 3 pixel icon it gives there's just nothing good about the UI. The entire thing needs to be scrapped completely and redone.

I think it plays ok, and it looks good, but interacting with the game is migraine inducing.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 27, 2014, 21:33 PropheT

Systems should be upgraded, but they do have a good point.

"The vulnerable OS will be an easy target for hackers and be seen as a gateway to infect other non-XP operating systems," Avast COO Ondrej Vlcek wrote on the company's blog. "Our telemetry data shows that XP users are 6 times more likely to get attacked than Windows 7 users and once Microsoft stops issuing patches, this can worsen."

It's already a problem, but part of the issue is that it's not just PC's that are using the operating system; you can find it on POS units (point of sale, not the other pos) and other systems that aren't easily upgraded without expensive hardware changes for companies that either can't afford the switch or don't understand the security ramifications of not doing so.

Pushing the adoption of newer systems is fine, and needs to be done, but there's a danger in this approach that widespread breaches can happen before an organization makes the shift; the Target data breach had infected XP systems that were part of the cause, for example, so seeing another attack like that as a result isn't a hard scenario to picture.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
30. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 16:24 PropheT

Darks wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 16:16:
Not understanding why you guys are so dead set against the game. I get that you many donít want to play it. But forming opinions about a beta that does not represent the final product is kind of strange to me. How can you guys claim to like Skyrim and not like this? What is not fun about exploring Tamriel? The entire island!

I don't have anything against the game, but most of the complaints are exactly because that's not what the game is. You can't just walk out of the dungeon at the beginning and pick a direction, explore any cave you wander past, walk to a town and start doing anything you find, and so on. It's really nothing like the single player games, and although it's a bit more open than a progressive MMO quest line it's still not as open as a Guild Wars 2's, either. It's not a big multiplayer Elder Scrolls game, it's an MMO set in the universe; that's a big enough difference for a lot of people to not like the direction it went.

As for forming opinions on beta releases, I've beta tested every MMO I've been interested in since UO came out and not one of them has been different from its last beta event to the actual release. Stress tests may as well be a demo.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2014, 15:06 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 13:20:
They didn't get PS2 emulation working on the PS3, though. The PS3 that was backwards-compatible had a PS2 in it. They literally included the Emotion Engine on the motherboard.

There was a short-lived 80gb PS3 that had a sort of half and half job going on that did use software emulation for PS2 games. I don't think it worked particularly well, so it didn't stick around for long.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
96. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 03:35 PropheT

Sepharo wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 02:22:
More like it's not what you think they seem to think it is.

Maybe, but I'm having a hard time seeing how virtual reality competes as a social platform with reality reality to anyone who wasn't saying we'd all be talking on video phones and wearing shimmering silver pants by the year 2000.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined
11. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launches; Future Plans Outlined Mar 25, 2014, 11:15 PropheT

Verno wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 10:46:
I hear a lot of mixed stuff about the Crusader too.

I love the Crusader so far. Her personality is different than the other characters; she's not arrogant or even violent personality-wise, seems respectful to people in conversations, and just has a completely different feel. All of the conversations are re-done and have full voice overs just like the other characters had... I don't know why I didn't expect that, but the original VA's did new work for all the crusader conversations.

The different armors I've gotten have been great looking, with one looking more or less like the knight set from Dark Souls, and she has some diversity in the gear she can use since 2-handed weapons are viable with a passive talent (you can still use a shield). As you level, the class can go from a melee-range tank to having mid-range abilities that basically allow you to set up a circle for yourself and kill anything as it comes into it...a caster-type, but you don't have to kite. Or you can just play as a smash-mouth tank, she has two builders that are melee range, one mid-range chain attack AOE and a single-target long range hammer throw.

I'm only level 22-23, somewhere in there, but so far this is the class that the game was missing to me. I like the aesthetics of it, the VA is good and the personality works for me, and it plays really well and has options for play style in a way that the other classes don't. I'm really happy with the class, it's better than I expected.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 24, 2014, 22:45 PropheT

There'd have to be a shift from If/Then dialog trees to facilitate what he's talking about, or an adoption of modular game systems to give designers time and resources to focus on integrating the gigantic trees of possible interactions in a game like that.

It also assumes that the journey is more important than the destination, which while true in a Civilization game I'm not sure it still holds to that in a Mass Effect since the narrative would ultimately lead to the same place anyway... unless you're able to implement a legion of end results in the same way that you're able to shuffle NPC's to fit into separate parts of the narrative without breaking up the flow into something meaningless.

For an open world game, it's a great idea. I'm just not sure something that free-form is realistic with current technologies without building a base game, and then expanding on that game through sequels that are essentially added as modules onto the existing game in order to change and modify it into something else like what modders do with Skyrim.

News Comments > Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party
37. Re: Diablo III Reaper of Souls Launch Party Mar 24, 2014, 18:14 PropheT

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 17:52:
I don't know about non-expansion people joining expansion games, etc.

I'm just guessing at this since it's not live yet, but since it's the same patch that's live right now as the active expansion when it hits tonight (you don't even need to log out) there's no reason why someone shouldn't be able to join the game of someone who's playing with the expansion as long as you weren't in Act V.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 23, 2014, 22:21 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 20:39:
I think part of the problem is that it was a he-said-she-said issue, since people were just guessing that ISPs were throttling traffic.

At least on Comcast's network, it wasn't; there was something like a 30% performance difference over a 3-month time span at the end of last year for Netflix's traffic on their network that came to a head when House of Cards released and traffic hit a peak rate. Then the ransom was paid, and the problem went away...except it didn't violate the FCC ruling on Comcast that they couldn't block until 2018 because they just created the bottleneck on Cogent's network instead by not allowing the traffic through to theirs.

The problem overall would just seem to be that Netflix is publicly operating at profit margins that lets the cable companies see blood in the water. If they force Netflix to buy into the exchanges by data rate like they're Google or Microsoft or Facebook, Netflix is either going to have to raise prices or start having problems. It's self-serving when the cable companies that control those networks want Netflix and streaming to fail and are in control of the bandwidth they use to compete.

Netflix was already paying Level 3 and Cogent for their exchanges, so stuff like AT&T's response where he rambles about Netflix wanting a free ride is bullshit. Nothing is going to happen favorably unless the FCC steps in, but the odds of that happening when their hands are firmly in the cable companies' pockets seems pretty low...and the record of government capability for handling any high-tech rulings in a timely manner isn't exactly stellar anyway.

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Mar 22, 2014, 01:57 PropheT

He is kind of right here. He might have deserved a lot of the hate he got, minus the death threats and whackjob nerdraging obviously, but not everyone does.

I still don't think it's exclusive to gaming, though. The smartest thing that creators can do right now, whether it's books or TV or games, is to not read internet feedback and just focus on their vision of what they want to create. Part of the reason feedback got to be the way it has been is because content creators started reading that feedback and started trying to please everyone, which pleased no one and just made everyone bitter. More bitter.

It's sort of like the line from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that went something like, "In the beginning the universe was created, which made people very angry and has been widely regarded as being a bad move." People are never happy, so just make your game and if you do it well it'll matter to the people it should matter to.

2152 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo