Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2301 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2015, 11:52 PropheT

I don't even understand the point of the article, much less the assertions that she makes.

So if we know brown folks definitely existed in actual Medieval Europe, why are they absent from a made-up fantasy world only loosely inspired by Medieval Europe?

They aren't, but also... just because non-white people were in Europe doesn't mean they were common. Even today where populations are MUCH more diverse, France (Orlais) is 85% white. Only 3.5% is black. Modern France has no elves at all (0%).

Where are the brown folks in Dragon Age's Thedas?

Primarily in their countries of origin, exactly like in medieval times. Exactly like now. I'm sure as hell not going to waste the time to check, but I'd be willing to bet that there's more than that 3.5% in Inquisition.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 6, 2015, 01:52 PropheT

Sepharo wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 23:18:
PropheT wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 22:04:
Err, what?

You seriously didn't detect the sarcasm there?

Considering I don't recognize the person who posted it and a lot stupider shit gets posted here every day, I'm not entirely sure why I would.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2015, 22:16 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:08:
Really? You don't like Whedon's film?

I didn't care for it, but I wouldn't call it terrible either. I mostly just hate the Whedonisms that require every conversation to either end with a wink and a nod or a punchline.

As for the lineup, I think it's fine. Hawkeye and Black Widow, like them or not, are staple Avengers; BW works much better now than in the Avengers because The Winter Soldier was as much her movie as Cap's. Hawkeye is still goddamn useless and I think Renner sucks, but this stays true to the character in the comics who I also think is useless and sucks.

I'd have liked to see some of the other Avengers, or elements of the Mighty and New Avengers, but they're meant for other movies I suppose. Luke Cage would be cool, and Captain/Ms. Marvel would be nice.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 4, 2015, 22:04 PropheT

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:24:
So let me get this straight. A self-made woman who managed to fight hard and get herself elected and appointed to high political office based entirely on her accomplishments, with no outside help, turns out to also be a whiz with computer engineering - running her own private email system! - and the right-wing media like AP is -punishing- her for that?

It just goes to show what kind of misogyny women with tech interests have to put up with.

Err, what? It's a problem is because it's illegal to use private mail accounts for government business since records aren't maintained as necessary to meet the requirements of the laws that require retention of that data for government transparency reasons. There's no punishing someone for being smart, or any misogyny (fucking really? REALLY?)... I don't care what side of the party line you sit on, that's just plain pants on head crazy.

It's being brought up because Sarah Palin got lambasted and skewered for using her Yahoo address a few years back for official use, and there's nothing the jackholes in government like better than to turn a party's crusade against it later on down the road... and let's face it, they've been looking for something to slow down Clinton for years now.

Is it really as big of a deal as it's being made out to be? Probably not. Is it attacking her for being a woman or techie (as if she configured it all herself in the first place)? No, because like it or not the law's there for a reason.

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
25. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 21:08 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:17:
How much gold can the average player reasonably farm in a month? I can't see them accepting anything less than that, so I doubt this system will work that well. Even for Chinese gold mills buying these you'd expect any profit would be razor thin.

If I focused just on making money I could do 3-4k a day without even really trying all that hard, so if the market is cornered by those with a more hardcore bent I'd say the price is likely to be fairly ridiculous. Boring as hell to do that, though, so I sure wouldn't want to maintain that play style for long.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:19:
I just think it's funny how big of a thing this turned into. Jesus people, nothing better to do?

I don't!

Wait...shit, I don't

It looks white and gold to me. It's weird how big this got (it was even on the local news today), but it is kind of fascinating in a way.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
78. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 22:12 PropheT

Zanthar wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 21:02:
Yeah, that was all Al Gore wasn't it? Read a book about how the internet was started some day. I've been on the Internet since I had to pay delphi $3/hr for 2400 baud access. I can assure you that the government had nothing to do with it's birth, and has only put up roadblocks in it's way ever since.

Ever heard of ARPANET?

The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) was an early packet switching network and the first network to implement the protocol suite TCP/IP. Both technologies became the technical foundation of the Internet. ARPANET was initially funded by the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA, later DARPA) within the U.S. Department of Defense for use by its projects at universities and research laboratories in the US.

Lots of the guys here (most probably) are old enough to have used 2400 baud modems, and most discovered Wikipedia along the way. You can find information about the 1991 High-Performance Computing and Communications Act or government funding for the NCSA that helped make it all happen at the very least when it did, if not the way it did. It's not an arguable fact that the government had a pretty decisive influence on both the creation and adoption of the internet.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2015, 11:03 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 09:40:
So while I was sleeping I seen game development has been rapidly sped up...

OR Contest:
Pitches are due by April 20, screenshots by April 27, videos by May 4 and the final build is due by May 11 at 9AM PT.

Could be like a Blizzard release schedule, it's just a bit misleading because they leave off what year after each date.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
27. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 24, 2015, 14:40 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 21:48:
I generally find the larger the company the fewer the cliques. At least cliques with power. At some point, accountability takes over for cliques.

Not in IT.

The last place I worked is large, a major well-known institution. It has a pretty big IT department, and each individual department within it had its own clique, but the common thread throughout was that as you started going up in leadership you could easily trace the personal ties.

When I started there, my manager advanced out a few months later. His friend came in as manager of the department, and when that guy moved out his close friend from another department came in and became manager. A guy I worked with moved up into management, and then into a department head position, despite not having the required degree or experience, because he did what he could to get close to the guy that had advanced first. Down the hall, you weren't getting fucking anywhere unless you were a friend of the Chads. In web dev it was Suresh, because after three years of him being in charge everything HAD to go through him because nobody else on his team spoke english anymore. He'd guaranteed an easy ride and job security by doing it (pretty sure his job was drinking coffee when I left).

The only thing that would get in the way was diversity. My immediate supervisor was advanced because she was a woman, and proceeded to fuck things up to a degree that I've never (and hopefully never will again) worked anywhere with people so bitter and on edge. She was inept, just absolutely useless, and completely untouchable because of how she was hired... and she'd repeatedly complain that she couldn't advance because she was a woman, when in reality it was just because Mike and his cronies hated her like the rest of us.

We had some absolutely brilliant women who worked with us, though, a few I'm really glad I know. They're awesome, and I hope they get a good job somewhere else... they'll never advance, because they aren't close to the right people, or they're smart enough that they pose a risk to the status quo.

And really, that's what it's all about. In the larger corporations (I've worked for three in the last 15-16 years), once that cronyism takes hold it'll do anything it takes to protect itself and hold its position.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 20:34 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 19:09:
Look, I work at a tech firm that has a higher than average number of both women and minorities, and half of our VPs are women. Still, our positive experiences doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

It does exist, sure. The problem is that the examples given in this article happen to men, too. I'm not convinced that what she's describing or that her examples are the result of sexism, since from my experience in the tech field it's not discrimination that causes these problems but cronyism.

Cronyism in tech is fucking rampant. Everywhere I've worked it's an issue, everywhere, and every job's advancement was dependent on it. Leadership was always (ALWAYS) chosen by it. I've seen discrimination, too, but that was usually because it was up to the personal whims of the clique in charge using whatever tools necessary to keep outsiders out. Sexism was just a means to and end, it was racism for others, or just favoritism to keep people out who didn't fit into a check box.

The larger the company, the more cliques you'll find. Some were controlled by women, who only hired women. Some were only Indian (pretty common on some of our dev teams), and only hired Indian, but the one constant among all of those is that cronyism was a factor in how people were hired, fired, assigned work, and advanced. We'll just call it "networking" to make it PC, and then it's ok.

"Men need to be the ones that are advocating and pushing for women to rise up, and not just rely on the 1% of women who are already at the top to do it," Sieber said.

It's statements like that that make me think it's not going to get better, either, because nobody seems to recognize the real issue. My last workplace was already hiring underqualified people to fill a demographic and it was makings things worse, not better, as the boys circled the wagons to keep their people close.

Maybe there's tech places out there that haven't dealt with this, but I really doubt it. I'm betting anyone who's worked in the industry could name an example of this right off the top of their head.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2015, 13:04 PropheT

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 11:57:
Interesting article. The gist of it really is: Don't be on fucking Twitter, and don't post stupid bullshit on your Facebook page.

And do your best to not wind up on someone else's, which is a lot harder.

I think what struck me about that article is that everyone but Adria admitted they'd done something wrong.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2015, 20:01 PropheT

ASeven wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 15:41:
Surprised WotC survived D&D 4th Ed. That is by far the worst D&D in history. 5th Edition is having low sales now because people no longer trust them.

I was going to comment on this and say that it was a shame since 5th ed is outstanding, but when I went to find out information about the sales I couldn't find anything that suggested that they were having low sales. Most of what I saw actually says the opposite.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 21, 2015, 19:10 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 17:04:
I wasn't aware XP was still getting security updates, I thought this was for more user support. My really big company changed to 7 a good while back now.

My last job was for a medical institution that still has XP in use for certain devices, instruments, and systems for various reasons. It's much, much more rare than it was even a couple of years ago but it's still out there in a lot of non-standard non-workstation configs.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Feb 20, 2015, 17:35 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 13:17:
It's funny this comment is coming from Duncan Jones. His Moon was a sci fi movie that used a lot of practical effects enhanced with CGI (as opposed to being all CGI for the effects shots). Here's an article.

Why is it funny it came from him? His past work isn't at odds with what he said, and he even specifically mentions enhancing practical effects with CGI in the article.

Unless I missed something, he says the exact same things in the link as what everyone here is.

News Comments > WoW Patch Next Week
15. Re: WoW Patch Next Week Feb 18, 2015, 15:51 PropheT

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 11:10:
In my opinion:
*snip*

That's all so spot on that it kind of hurts.

I was excited as hell for WoD, dove into it headfirst when it launched, and was completely done and not logging on anymore barely two weeks later. I don't raid, so when I logged on I could either grind mobs for loot, grind mobs for faction, grind old dungeons I'd already done a thousand times, or spend 5 minutes to do my garrison stuff and log off. After a third week, I didn't see the point in doing the garrison anymore, either.

The thing that stands out to me the most about the expansion is that it's poorly designed. It's not half-assed or broken or buggy or even incomplete, it's just full of really bad ideas that they implemented and that's far, far worse in my mind. They actually designed things in a way that you're rewarded for not going out into the world anymore after you've leveled through it, which doesn't matter much since you pretty much see and do everything in the short time of just getting to 100 anyway and can just spend the rest of the expansion queuing for something from the safety of your garrison.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2015, 11:41 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Feb 17, 2015, 09:43:
Martin is in serious trouble if the GOT series is about to overtake him with the key plot lines. At this point though, he might even be relieved since Ive yet to see a writer suffer this badly from procrastination (or writer's block?).

I don't know if Martin is in trouble, but I might just say fuck it and not read the rest. It's pretty frustrating to be presented with the probability that a book series I started reading 15 years ago is going to be spoiled by the TV show about it that started more than a decade later.

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
24. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 13, 2015, 03:13 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 02:15:
You are not wrong. 3.5rd edition was the last true (and best) edition of the tabletop game. After that they tried to turn the P&P game into World of Warcraft with dice. The rules now have less depth than a puddle in Sahara....

You could maybe say that about 4th edition (the WoW part, anyway), but that's not even a little true about 5th. 5th is much more like 1st and 2nd, with some of the best parts of 3rd thrown in but without all the bloat.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2/Total War: ROME II Free Weekend/Competition
8. Re: Company of Heroes 2/Total War: ROME II Free Weekend/Competition Feb 12, 2015, 21:15 PropheT

Shok wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:45:
Wow, thanks for this tidbit. Any desire to purchase this game is gone now. I'm not a big RTS fan anyway but I did enjoy COH1 when it came out. Grinding for unlockables is not my kind of game (well besides my addiction to WoW for a few months every new expac..).

I'm not sure I'd ever say you need to grind for unlockables, or even that it was a thing in the game honestly. They're there, but it's more like something you get sometimes rather than something you play to get if that makes sense.

There are even game tweaks and mods via Steam workshop that make your commander choice pretty much irrelevant, like the all units unlock mods, if you just want to focus on the game.

News Comments > D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year
14. Re: D&D Sword Coast Legends This Year Feb 12, 2015, 21:08 PropheT

MacLeod wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 20:51:
Honestly, 5th edition is actually pretty good. I haven't had too many issues with it. It's probably closest in feel to 1st or 2nd out of any edition (short of playing one of those). 3rd got way too bogged down in mechanics and min/maxing and 4th seemed like it was homogenized MMORPG conversion.

I'd go so far as to say that 5th is the best edition of D&D, and I've never really liked any of them since 2nd. Hard to say how much they'll try to emulate the ruleset in a PC game, though.

It looks cool, but I'm not terribly fond of Forgotten Realms these days. At all.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 15:22 PropheT

Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 14:37:
I'm not advocating against vaccination, but those people who insist they have a right to decide if their babies will be forcibly injected with drugs are the ONLY people with any sense. They absolutely MUST have the RIGHT to DECIDE. And if their concerns are addressed and questions adequately answered, they'll CHOOSE to vaccinate. i am deeply worried and embarrassed to share a species with anyone dumb enough to waive that right, or worse, advocate its elimination.

I'd agree with the sentiment but the reality is that it's already a requirement in every state.

Anyway, the quote is a little misleading because the proposition presented by the CA Senator (Dr. Pan, who's actually a pediatrician) doesn't completely abolish the exemption entirely but is similar to the one that'll be addressed here in MN that a doctor visit is required to assess the decision prior to allowing it for medical reasons rather than because they felt like it.

2301 Comments. 116 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo