Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2206 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations
13. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations Nov 21, 2014, 14:00 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 13:44:
Most of the people I know who do it are single (or have very understanding spouses).

Or play with them, which is pretty common.

My wife plays, but because of her job rarely has free time that she wants to use to log on during the week; most of my game time comes from insomnia and being up five or six more hours a day than she is.

I don't think WoW is any more time intensive these days than Netflix. You can binge forever and get everything you want at once, but you definitely don't have to just to get some enjoyment out of it. As long as you're not concerned with being a top raider or decked out in the best of everything, anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2014, 10:34 PropheT

Happy Birthday Blue  

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
18. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 21:58 PropheT

Endo wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 21:35:
Assuming your context is MMORPGs, I actually believe you. But that's not so much a statement of WoW being good these days, as everything just being bad.

I totally understand if you don't like it, and that's fine, but I don't see how you can argue with the fact that bad games don't keep bringing in people going on 10 years from their original release date. They just don't.

Hell, just the fact that it's still the game to compete with in its genre despite its age is something unprecedented in gaming. It's not like nobody has tried... with as many other options out there now, and not all of them bad, I'd have never guessed that they'd pass 10 million again or even come close to it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2014, 13:30 PropheT

siapnar wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 12:04:
Can't gamestop get in some pretty serious trouble if their staff sells to minors?

No. It's not actually illegal to sell M-rated games to minors (or Parental Advisory music, or access to R-rated movies).

The employees can, because it's against the business policies for them to do so, but Gamestop isn't getting in any trouble for it because there's no laws that prevent it (assuming you're in the U.S.)

News Comments > Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime
6. Re: Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime Nov 19, 2014, 13:24 PropheT

Endo wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 01:39:
But any number of things can cause queue times, and judging from the blurb here, it sounds like they had to cut server capacity, which is going to cause queue times regardless.

Not having played this in years, I also don't know how many servers they still have up for NA, but I'm guessing they closed a bunch, given that I know a large portion of the 7+mil active players are over in Asia, as opposed to WoW's prime when it had around 10mil active players before it even launched in Asia.

So I'm guessing it has probably around a mil or less active players in NA. Still a lot compared to other games, but nothing compared to how it used to be. Also explains why I never hear anyone IRL talk about the game any more, where a few years ago I heard total non-gamers talking about WoW stuff.

There haven't been any server closures. They've established cross-realm zoning so that in lower population areas and situations you will see people from other servers to fill out that capacity if necessary.

I had an hour and a half queue one night on my server, which is usually a medium population server on any given day. A woman my wife works with is on Illidan, and their server queues are well past insane -- given that information, it's fairly obvious that queue times are directly correlated to influx of people.

Your guessed numbers are wrong. There was 1.5 million preorders of the expansion here, and of the 7.4 million current subscribers about 3 million are in the west.

As for the talent calculator and current content, I think you might be surprised. The game's better than it was during TBC. The players required cookie cutter specs from each other in the past, so they got rid of it and streamlined it... as much as some people complain about it (people who haven't played with the newer system, mostly), it was the demands of the player base that necessitated the change.

The game's not perfect by any means, but there's a reason why it's still on top after 10 years. If you're the kind of person that gets pissed at "the devs" it's probably better to just avoid it, but if you enjoyed the game and just want a good time it's still the best of the bunch in this genre.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2014, 00:12 PropheT

jimnms wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 23:21:
Do you really thing things will change?
A roll call of votes shows that 41 of the 42 votes against the bill were cast by Republicans, with only four senators from that party voting to move the bill forward.

I'm not sure why people don't get this. People voted to make things worse, not better -- the biggest change is just going from an obstructionist congress to a lame duck congress, and it was mostly the moderates that were voted out.

And to top it off, a lot of people frustrated with how things are voted against their own best interests in an effort to effect change.

News Comments > Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime
3. Re: Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime Nov 18, 2014, 23:57 PropheT

Endo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 21:54:
Judging from the number of comments here, you can tell lots of people still play this and give a shit.

Lots of people do still play this...that's why they're talking about the queue times. There's at least a handful of people here who still play.

Between this and Inquisition I'm pretty happy right now.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 11:29 PropheT

I haven't been wow'd by the first introduction to a game like this one in a long time. There was a definite holy shit moment starting it up, I didn't expect it to look that good... although, I have a 3770k with a GTX 780 and have found myself having to tweak the graphics a bit since the automatic detected Ultra was only getting ~30 with some annoying dips.

And then I spent the next 2+ hours restarting and playing with the character creator and haven't really played yet

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
3. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 11:25 PropheT

64-bit seems to be out there now (at least for 8.1).  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 03:14 PropheT

dubfanatic wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 00:18:
I hereby announce the winner of the dubfanatic award for really cool people 2014. This year's award goes to Boutrous Boutrous-Ghali.

That name wins Most Fun Name To Say On Earth hands down. I've always loved that one.

I'm also kind of partial to Goodluck Jonathan, it kind of makes me laugh every time I hear it on the radio.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Preorders
10. Re: Pillars of Eternity Preorders Nov 12, 2014, 14:48 PropheT

Why are pre-orders only until the 24th? I thought the game was pushed back to next year.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2014, 11:52 PropheT

You don't be drinkin' no Monstah enehgy drinks Bobby Boucher, dose enehgy drinks is the DEVIL.  

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2014, 13:50 PropheT

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 13:34:
Is it okay to just not give a shit about this whole thing and live as though my head is buried in the sand whenever it's talked about?

Yes. There's really no point to even arguing about this shit anymore...nobody is even fighting about the same thing, they're just fighting.

43. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 03:15 PropheT

LittleMe wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 01:35:
No, no he wasn't. Here's the quote:

Obama called on the Federal Communications Commission to more heavily regulate Internet providers and treat broadband much as it would any other public utility.

Nothing there about congress. It does look like a decree do me, and an unlawful one at that.

There's nothing about congress in there because it IS NOT NECESSARY.

The president called on them to enact this sort of reform because he can't do it himself. He can't create laws necessary for that to happen, therefore he needs to call on lawmakers to do that. Calling on lawmakers to enact legislation making these changes is doing exactly what you are saying he isn't.

LittleMe wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 01:35:
The whole local internet service is very anti-free market with antiquated mid-20th century local 'franchise agreements' that are the foundation of how the vast majority of local Internet service is provided. These franchise agreements are just kind words for government granted monopolies. THAT is the core problem here - that being, very limited consumer choice and minimal competition.

Because the providers are able to make those agreements and create their own monopolies by area with no impedance or penalty from government. They create the deals with local municipalities in exchange for non-competes with other providers in many cases because no regulation exists to prevent them from doing so.

I've done a fair amount of work at a local government level with this over the last ten years or so. Anyone who has done the same will immediately acknowledge that smaller communities are hamstrung when making these deals because there is no regulation that protects them. The lack of regulation leaves us with all but a take it or leave it approach to negotiations, and when changes or alterations outside of the agreements take place there is often little or no recourse for the communities affected.

I don't expect it to help much, because many of the problems we encounter are with general cable service as much as internet service, but separating the two from a legal aspect would give us ground to ensure stability and options that as of right now aren't available. In practice, that should lower the cost for subscribers and increase the number of available customers for providers.

Read between the lines. I'll rewrite it since you guys can't interpret that statement.

And yet you're accusing other people of creating strawmen.

All I'm seeing is that you don't like it because Obama said it. When you're not declaring our system a monarchy, you're arguing for the same things that people who are happy about this are.

5. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 10, 2014, 21:55 PropheT

LittleMe wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:37:
The proper way to go about this sort of thing would be to pass a law. I saw no such language in the article. So it appears the pres doesn't care about the rule of law but his supposed authority over the FCC to enforce a 'rule' already found to be not within their lawful authority. This is how kings operate.

The government can only do so much here. This is where a free-er market would give consumers what they want - Internet access without being under the thumb of government-sanctioned monopolistic internet providers. Obama just loves to be the center of attention here as usual. It's superficial flair with no substance.

A law would need to be passed. That's what the president was asking for. That is not king-like behavior, because the executive branch does not create and pass laws; he is calling for these measures to be enacted, not decreeing to all his vassals that from now henceforth the land shall have net neutrality.

As for a free-er market solution, I don't know how you can think this when there is already obvious and tangible proof that the exact opposite of what you're saying is already true. There's even examples provided in the Oatmeal link. We have a free market in place right now, and the providers have used it to give themselves monopolies over coverage areas, control pricing, enact bandwidth limitations, and so on because the necessary regulations preventing them from doing so do not exist.

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
42. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 18:34 PropheT

JeffD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 16:49:
The cinematic movie was pretty laughable bad but the gameplay trailer was intense.

If that cinematic was "pretty laughable bad" then I have no f'ing clue what you'd think was actually good. Show that cinematic to people without telling them what it was from and they'd probably think it was Pixar.

The gameplay, though, is just TF2 mixed with Monday Night Combat. I was about as excited as I've been for a game in a while after the cinematic, and after the gameplay trailer all I am is disappointed that it's just another multiplayer team shooter.

I don't want to be negative about it, and I'm sure it'll be a good game, but it's just impossible for me to be really excited for multiplayer team shooters anymore.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $60M
12. Re: Star Citizen at $60M Nov 6, 2014, 18:47 PropheT

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 18:07:
How the hell does a universe expand, when it doesn't exist in the first place?

At the rate they're raising funding, it's going to expand by declaring its independence and becoming its own nation.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 6, 2014, 02:34 PropheT

Orogogus wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 21:32:
I have a Panasonic, too, and while burn-in is a non-issue, it really doesn't work well in sunlight.

I've never really noticed, but that's probably a combination of rarely being home to watch during the day and my house not being particularly bright even when I am.

I'd still say it's better during daylight than my 37" Westinghouse LCD I have upstairs at home, but that's a few years older than the plasma too so maybe they've improved a lot.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 5, 2014, 21:12 PropheT

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 20:26:
Why not for gaming? My plasma looks great for games, though admittedly I've only played Decrepit Gen consoles on it...

I've got a Panasonic plasma in my living room, and it looks and plays great. Despite the concerns about burn in I've never really had a problem in the years I've had it even with some heavy gaming sessions sporting static UI elements.

For blu-rays it's still the best TV I've seen picture quality-wise.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2014, 16:01 PropheT

Rossini wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 14:42:
Maybe I played way too much Civ 5. But is anyone else finding Civ: Beyond Earth boring?

I like it really well, but after a first game that went pretty much perfectly I haven't been able to complete any more. I got to a late turn in my next game, and the game just ended with no feedback as to why. The next game, Elodie gives me a dialog about going to war with someone in turn 300-something and the game locks up; can't reply to her, can't get out of it, reloading an earlier save doesn't help. Same thing next game.

Doesn't take much to make you not want to play after getting to turn 300+ in a Civ game and not being able to finish multiple times. I like the game, but it's hard to recommend when that's the experience I keep getting.

2206 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo