Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2279 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 8, 2015, 20:23 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 15:14:
Personally, I think 5 years is about right for something like this.

I doubt that's it for him, when Neff was sentenced he got 5 years for swatting and didn't have the other charges they listed at the end of this article. This guy's facing more than 5 years, it's just 5 for the swatting. He'd be pretty lucky to get away with that sentence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M
12. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 7, 2015, 16:26 PropheT

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 14:07:
If you pay anything for an F2P game, or pay for mounts or pay to transfer characters over servers inside a game you are paying money for monthly. You are stupid, period. Modern gaming is a testament to how low most peoples (and hence most gamers) intelligence really is.

Frankly, that's probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on that subject and the rest of your post goes downhill from there.

There's a certain degree of introspection that should be required for anyone whose de facto response for anything that bothers them is that everyone else is just more stupid than themselves.

They aren't stupid for doing things differently than you, prioritizing their money differently, or anything else you brought up. Most of them are just spending money on entertainment, the same as they do to go see a movie that critics said was bad but they know they'll enjoy, or spend the $5 for a bucket of $.25 popcorn, or whatever.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 14:08 PropheT

That's nice that Gabe helped the guy, but it's kind of ignoring the fact that if Steam's support wasn't so shitty in the first place he wouldn't have been contacted directly with the problem.

As for EA, eh, it's EA. They see big money in mobile and want to figure out how to bridge that gap, they see big money in CoD and want to try and tailor their entry into that pick-up and play crowd, and so on. The problem with EA has been for years that they keep trying to be everyone else instead of letting their dev houses be themselves, despite having some of the best groups in the business at making games that aren't their competitor's titles if they're just allowed to do it.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 5, 2015, 20:43 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 20:12:
All I've been hearing is how Destiny has been a commercial failure given its development costs and now they're claiming it and a free game are responsible for close to a billion in net-revenue? Lucy, joo got some 'splaining to do!

I don't think I've seen anyone say Destiny was a commercial failure anywhere. Critical, yes, but commercial definitely not.

As for Hearthstone, well, free doesn't mean anything anymore. There's free games advertising in $4 million a pop ad slots during the Superbowl, and Hearthstone is near the top in popularity so it's a pretty safe bet they're pulling in decent money.

News Comments > etc., etc.
21. Re: etc., etc. Feb 4, 2015, 21:34 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 20:40:
She doesn't ask to ban games, she just points out common themes that are against women.
Incidentally, she just announced doing a similar series about men.

She wants games to be more inclusive and better written. Sounds like something we can all get behind, no?

No? Not like that, not by her, and not for that reason.

Harvard's a business school, and she's managed to market being a victim and turn moral outrage and into a cash enterprise.

Frankly, I think it takes a fairly incredible level of gullibility to think that she's doing any of what she does to improve anything. She doesn't give a fuck about gaming, and what she's doing isn't making things better.

And besides all of that, you don't make writing better by forcing it to be inclusive. It waters things down, makes the writing disingenuous, and forces writers to avoid taking issues head-on and forcing a reader or player to relate and really consider the effects of the situation. You don't make things better by telling people what or how to think, you just force people into their trenches and make them fight...which should be pretty goddamn obvious by now you'd think, but apparently isn't.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 4, 2015, 01:14 PropheT

Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 00:39:
Posts like these would make sense if there wasn't two separate tournaments.

Well, I wasn't kidding about not knowing much about it...I figured "all feminine tournament" meant the tournament was only using female characters. I really don't follow e-sports at all.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it changes anything... I guess it didn't occur to me that they would separate the field between male and female participants for e-sports when there's no real difference to give an advantage to justify it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 4, 2015, 00:29 PropheT

I'm not incredibly fond of the entire idea of e-sports in the first place, but if there's any one thing that stands out about the potential it has it's that short of an outright disability nobody has an unfair advantage over another based on any physical criteria.

Unless pros these days have learned to whack the spacebar with their penis in tournaments or something for an APM advantage, I guess I don't follow it closely enough to know.

News Comments > Ubisoft Reinstates Far Cry 4 Keys
22. Re: Ubisoft Reinstates Far Cry 4 Keys Feb 3, 2015, 01:40 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 23:43:
A) This never would have happened at a brick and mortar store.

B) Why are you blaming the consumer for wanting a fair shake?

A) Yeah, it would. If they were physical copies instead of just keys that were obtained illegally they'd just invalidate the keys that need to be activated on whatever service you need to do that on, since pretty much every game you buy a physical copy of this decade has required that. Or, alternatively, you'd be on the hook for fraud if it was a chargeback situation you used to keep the physical goods without paying.

You could also look at a Pawn Shop for a more direct comparison, where they'd be out the cash they spent to buy the game from the original seller if they find out afterward that it's stolen and have to return it.

B) If the consumer got screwed because of where they bought it they need to take it up with who they bought it from, not the people who made the product. It wasn't Ubisoft or EA that was the problem here, they're just everyone's favorite targets for The Gamer Outrage of the Day.

If you buy a Rolex for 75% off from a guy in a trenchcoat in an alleyway good for you, but don't be surprised when it's not what you thought it was and Rolex won't make sure it works the way you think it should for what you spent.

As for the differences in pricing, there's taxes and tariffs on goods from different countries in virtually every country in the world. Even in a free country with a free market you'd get to deal with that, and you'd have the choice to get around it by buying from a grey market dealer and taking your chances... or if you disagree with the process, you're also always free to just not buy it in the first place.

And as much as consumers deserve a fair shake, and as much as gamers love to bitch about these companies, it's still pretty rare to find one actually utilizing their most powerful tool against a company they disagree with by just not buying their stuff in the first place.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2015, 22:21 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 22:15:
And was that just regional or did anyone else see that ad for Scientology? That was fucked up.

Must have been regional, I don't remember seeing it.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Writer Leaves Gearbox
13. Re: Borderlands 2 Writer Leaves Gearbox Jan 30, 2015, 21:10 PropheT

The writing for BL2 was good enough that I think I only finished it because I wanted to kill Jack. The Pre-Sequel, on the other hand, is just fucking terrible from that standpoint; the jokes are painfully bad and the dialog is so stupid that it could have been written by an 8-year old. I wouldn't have guessed it was written by the same guy.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2015, 21:06 PropheT

Bodolza wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 16:10:
Because he knows the work that went behind creating them. If you want to educate yourself, there's volumes of material on the subject.

I know all kinds of useless shit about Star Wars, but that doesn't change the point. There's tons of work behind every major movie, the point is you don't get to call Hollywood a circus when you're a Ringmaster.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2015, 14:01 PropheT

Bodolza wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 13:11:
Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 11:52:
Meesa no think so, George.

Yes, there was.

The money is in the action figures.

At one time you could maybe argue that there was more to Star Wars, but with the prequels and all their marketing I don't know how he could sit there and say with a straight face that it wasn't the circus he's talking about.

News Comments > HATRED Preorders
13. Re: HATRED Preorders Jan 29, 2015, 23:37 PropheT

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 22:43:
But as he explains, there are no innocents just the weak. And from reading BN's comments over the years, many posters would agree. Good news. Fake as silicon tits.

Not following you here. "No innocents, only the weak" is because he's a psychopath, and the rest I'm not sure who BN is or what you mean.

/edit: Blue's News? Going to disagree with it then, if that's what you meant.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 29, 2015, 20:41 PropheT

I guess I no longer have broadband.

The only "upgrade" that's been done in recent years is the move to metered service and caps meant to improve the quality by reducing the amount that I'm able to use it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 16:06 PropheT

yuastnav wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 14:42:
I don't understand why most people think that AIs will try to conquer humanity anyway.

That's not necessarily the concern, although it's certainly a possibility in a world where a very likely AI application would be to remove casualty risk from human combatants. Governments are already acknowledging that by trying to curb or outlaw adaptive computer-controlled weaponized drones because they're a near-future reality.

Other issues arise because this:

Pigeon wrote on Jan 29, 2015, 13:50:
Well by the time we have to worry about Super Intelligent AI, the middle class will have collapsed and human labor will be so cheap the machines will hire people to do the jobs they don't want to. Today's theoretical future threats are tomorrows job providers.

...is the reality of things is AI controls become ubiquitous. How many jobs could be replaced in the blink of an eye once AI's are advanced enough to do those tasks instead?

The problem isn't so much that humanity will be wiped out by AI, it's the massive rapid change potential with the introduction of AI. Entire job sectors could be replaced almost overnight with AI controlled manufacture and distribution, and current government structures don't support that type of rapid economic change in our working populace. There's a sort of ripple effect that would cause any number of social or economic problems that would cause more damage than Skynet starting to shoot at us.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 12:23 PropheT

Gates didn't really suggest that everyone should be concerned, he said "some" people, which was probably in reference to Eric Horvitz from Microsoft saying yesterday that there was no reason to worry.

It's a reasonable concern, we're not that far off... and I'd rather the focus be on responsible creation and forethought on the process instead of a bunch of start-ups racing to be the first to create without properly preparing for what comes afterward.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
13. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 29, 2015, 00:11 PropheT

Well, this thread has been hilarious.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
24. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 13:33 PropheT

This isn't new. I'm not familiar with Kinguin, but G2A has had this happen to their customers before with other games. I ran across them when shopping for something about a year ago and decided against spending money there because a quick google search on them showed quite a few people on different forums talking about getting taken.

If those sites aren't as sketchy as they seem they'll give their customers their money back for selling them bad or stolen keys, or get them the legit one they were supposed to sell in the first place.

News Comments > Into the Black
23. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2015, 03:22 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 02:39:
There is no way a remake can capture the essence of the original movie, not even if they brought the original cast back.

I don't think they can either, but maybe they went this route because they know that too. I'd say it's not really a teen/tween kind of cast, though, either.

At least it's different and not just trying to recreate the old movie with a new cast... assuming it's not just a straight remake with women instead, that is.

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2015, 00:29 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 21:16:
And Chris Rock ragging on whitey again. That guy's a major fucking racist himself and never gets called on his shit. I'm so sick of these double standards and hypocrisy.

He's right in that article, though. The only movies you see a black guy cast in he's either cast as the black guy, or it's a movie made specifically for black audiences. It's pretty rare that you see black actors cast into roles because they're great actors rather than because casting just called for someone who's black (and then they pick from the usual 5 or so names after that anyway).

The same can be said for pretty much anybody who's not white, name 5 asian actors cast in major roles in a non-martial arts movie. Or hell, name 5 asian actors who regularly appear in Hollywood movies.

2279 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo