Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2187 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2014, 16:01 PropheT

Rossini wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 14:42:
Maybe I played way too much Civ 5. But is anyone else finding Civ: Beyond Earth boring?

I like it really well, but after a first game that went pretty much perfectly I haven't been able to complete any more. I got to a late turn in my next game, and the game just ended with no feedback as to why. The next game, Elodie gives me a dialog about going to war with someone in turn 300-something and the game locks up; can't reply to her, can't get out of it, reloading an earlier save doesn't help. Same thing next game.

Doesn't take much to make you not want to play after getting to turn 300+ in a Civ game and not being able to finish multiple times. I like the game, but it's hard to recommend when that's the experience I keep getting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 11:23 PropheT

Or maybe it's just the safety of anonymity...

"Researchers"

News Comments > Dragon Age Keep Open Demo
9. Re: Dragon Age Keep Open Demo Oct 30, 2014, 11:42 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 10:18:
Hands up if you're going to preorder Inquistion!!

*keeps his hands firmly @ his side*

*raises hand*

I've had it pre-ordered since it went up, though. If there was only one game I could have this entire past year this would have been it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2014, 16:19 PropheT

Numinar wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 14:01:
Destiny is actually really good, really polished, really fun.

As for 500M? Pretty sure that got debunked.

I think the $500 million was part of the 10-year thing that was mentioned with the game, not that this title alone cost that.

I agree, though, the game is good. The story complaints are definitely right, though, and it does worry me that when asked about it in this article he mentions the Thorn exotic quest -- which I eventually just abandoned because I'd never finish the crucible portions of it, and the first and last phases are just repeating the same strike in a different way with the second visit being one you can't just queue for normally (from what I understand, I never got that far).

News Comments > WildStar Realm Transfers
4. Re: WildStar Realm Transfers Oct 29, 2014, 12:36 PropheT

NKD wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:30:
How can you justify creating content only a few hundred people are going to experience?

That's why Blizzard quit doing it with World of Warcraft in the first place. Even without the gating it was a max of around 5-10% of the population of the game taking advantage of that content at the early end, and at the far end by the time they stopped making it Naxx-40 was more like 1-2%.

News Comments > etc., etc.
25. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 03:23 PropheT

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 02:01:
Even more worrisome is how many people share in this warped view. What is wrong with you people?

Given that most of the "discussion" seems to be on Twitter, I'm not convinced a lot of them actually do; they just agree with the quick sound bite that site presents and don't actually know the rest of what's being said. When confronted with an argument later they're already vested in being on that side of the argument, so they double down on it.

Same thing happens on Reddit or Fark or wherever else, too. People just read the headline and talk about that instead of actually reading the article, this doesn't seem much different to me.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Oct 28, 2014, 22:28 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 21:26:
More like what Breitbart called them.
Again, the whole "gamers are dead" thing was about banishing that stereotype, not enforcing it. It's very sad that the reaction was really, really clustering around it and proving that "Gamers" aren't dead, and the stereotype is still true for many extremely loud people.

That's because "gamer" to the kind of people who read gaming sites are hardcore gamers, which is probably a more fair usage of the term than the broadened description of it that's been adopted by certain parts of the industry to fudge the numbers by including your grandma picking up Candy Crush once or twice last year.

The ridiculous part of it, and why the blowback was what it was, is that some of the gaming sites picked up on that and keep repeating it as if their clientele isn't the predominantly male hardcore demographic that was being dismissed. It's hard to banish the stereotype when the people who are reading the sites publishing that article are by and large the people who fit the description of the crowd that's 'over'.

It'd be like Blue posting here about how the PC-centric crowd is over in this age of console gaming, and that the male-oriented PC enthusiast content is a thing of the past that only a dying breed cares about. There's enough evidence to make a case for it (whether true or not doesn't matter), but the vast majority of the people reading and commenting would be male PC enthusiasts... it's not hard to figure out how the discussion on it would go.

News Comments > PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed
11. Re: PC Valkyria Chronicles Confirmed Oct 28, 2014, 15:11 PropheT

The story is way too anime for me, but the game was really good.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2014, 21:28 PropheT

Sounds good to me, I love Doctor Strange and he seems like he'd be a good fit for it.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 12:02 PropheT

Julio wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 11:40:
And one more reason to not purchase DA3 is provided - thanks Gaider!

Did you even read what he said?

I agree with most of it, even though I definitely don't care for her message. The part where he's wrong is the part about why anyone who disagrees should even care, and that part seems pretty obvious to me when even if you want nothing to do with it the mainstream media and not just gaming media is covering it now.

Anyway, you might want to actually read the article instead of just condemning anyone with a different viewpoint out of hand.

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
4. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Oct 24, 2014, 21:32 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 21:04:
Seriously?

Well, Anita is the only one of those I'd ever heard of other than Pewdiepie.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
34. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 18:01 PropheT

mixma242 wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:24:
I feel 'meh' about it. I actually managed to win on my first play through on the 'normal' setting. As in no restarts for a better landing spot or reload because I did something stupid or got surprised in combat or something. I have been playing ever Civ since the original (including AC) and I never would have been able to do that with any of the others. The devs have said that at higher difficulty there is no different AI logic...

Satellites seemed interesting but not necessary, as was diplomacy. I didn't need any of the higher end techs other than to achieve my victory type. I only did a minimal number of quests.

It took me just under 400 turns / 11 hours to achieve the Harmony Trancendence victory. Last 100 turns / hour or two was waiting on stuff to be researched/built and waiting on the PC to take its turn.

I didn't think it was any easier or harder than Civ5 on the same settings. Playing on the default difficulty when it starts your game is just the 2nd (Chieftain in earlier Civs, I think?), so it's not very hard; losing on any of the lower difficulties is fairly tough if you've ever played Civ before. 400 turns seems like a lot, too, since I finished in just over 300 and was actually competing for victory conditions at the end with another civ even at the newbie difficulty.

The aliens are definitely harder to deal with than barbarians in Civ usually are. Siege Worms on early turns are all but impossible to get rid of and they'll screw up your trade routes any chance they get; if you have bad luck with alien nest spawns you can be up to your ears in aliens that, even if they're not aggressive to you, still disrupt anything you need to do outside of your territory. Even if you burn the nests they have a tendency to come back in the same spots if you haven't put something down to prevent it, too.

Satellites are necessary depending on what you're doing and your luck with the map. Miasma negation satellites can be pretty important. Defense satellites are great, and definitely a must on higher difficulties if you're having trouble defending your territory.

Other civilizations are more aggressive than they are in Civ 5 from what I've seen, too. If they don't like you blasting aliens, they'll tell you or may attack you if they're a Harmony civ and you're Supremeacy or Purity since you probably won't change your evil ways. They have personalities, as well; ARC is a corporate power, and can be an aggressive empire builder, Brazilia is an aggressive military power a la Moctezuma, Africa is Ghandi-esque right down to the wishy-washy bipolar diplomacy, etc. etc so each game can play out fairly differently.

Once you get some more time to tweak the game and play with it I think you'll like it.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
3. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 10:23 PropheT

It takes some adjusting to figure out what everything is, but Alpha Centauri was like that too. The tech tree is a bit arcane and civ health/happiness is harder to manage across multiple cities than it is in Civ 5 for sure, but after a few complete games I'd imagine everything will flow just as well.

I like it really well so far. You can't just out-tech other civs for military pursuits, the quests are brief but involve you in what's going on and give you choices, and even the non-combat victory conditions seem to require more to complete than just ramping up and super specializing in winning by those means at any cost. It's sort of impossible to judge a Civ game from one night of playing it but I'm happy with what I got up to this point.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2014, 11:36 PropheT

I was one of the only weirdos on earth that didn't really care for the Avengers I think, so I wasn't all that hyped for the sequel... but good lard that Age of Ultron trailer is incredible.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
7. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 22, 2014, 23:48 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:25:
The real question is, why would anyone with the money to be able to run games at 4K not be using a 4K monitor?

Depends on the game and the performance hit required to crank it up that much on a single card setup. Maybe for some older games it'll be nice.

Not that I disagree with your point, though, I can't imagine the functionality will be all that useful for anything other than as a marketing blurb. I run a 780, which I'd imagine is still far better than most systems out there, and 4k isn't really reasonable even with that.

News Comments > Metallica to Close BlizzCon
14. Re: Metallica to Close BlizzCon Oct 21, 2014, 14:18 PropheT

InBlack wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 13:54:
*disclaimer

Im definitely NOT a Metallica purist. I.E. I consider ALL of their albums great up to and including Reload. Different, yes. Still great though. The utter abortion of St. Anger and the abominable frankensteinian monster of Death Magnetic were shit. Utter shit.

What about Lulu? Everyone likes Lulu.

Heheheh. Heh. Sigh.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2014, 11:17 PropheT

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 10:29:
It blows my mind how some Chinese websites can offer free shipping on items that costs less than $1!

I had a monitor I bought from South Korea sent to me here in the U.S., and the shipping label when I got it was $12 if I remember right. I was amazed at how little it cost to ship it, and it was only 3 days to arrive from the time I ordered it.
From Canada, though... it's nuts, customs delays everything way more than it should and I mostly quit buying things from up there because of the shipping costs -- unless it's sent by DHL, and they like to play football with anything they carry.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 21, 2014, 00:45 PropheT

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 00:10:
I haven't seen Gotham or Arrow, but my officemate says Arrow is kind of one those "guilty pleasure"-type shows: not great but reasonably enjoyable if you're willing to just kinda go with it.

I love Arrow, it's one of the few shows I really have gotten into. It's on Netflix so it's worth checking out if you have an account there, just make sure and stick with it when it feels like a bit of a lull in the middle of the first season as it gets much better toward the end.

My wife was telling me about Gotham earlier tonight and that she just didn't care for it at all, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet myself.

The Flash is actually pretty good. It's a bit more on the light-hearted side than Arrow is, but it's enjoyable so far.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
15. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 16:49 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 16:25:
Except she's not trying to censor anything or force anything or ban anything. She's not trying to pass legislation and not trying to outlaw anything.

Bullshit. 'We're Going to Fix This' very pointedly means 'We're Going to Fix This In the Image I Deem Fit' and you and everyone else who's ever read anything she's written knows it.

You don't have to have veto power to get things banned these days, you just have to raise enough of a stink to sway the mob in your favor. It's not a protest for legal action, it's a call to arms for a witch hunt... it's worse than Jack Thompson, because nobody with a clear mind and conscience is going to have to examine facts and succeed with a vote on this. You either go with what she does or get declared a misogynist witch for not supporting her and her witch hunt.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2014, 16:35 PropheT

Civ finally coming this next week  

2187 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo