Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2155 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2014, 11:42 PropheT

I liked Almost Human a lot, but it never seemed like they were going to let it take off anyway. It almost seemed like they were shown out of order and with so many multi-week breaks that they were actually trying to kill it or make people forget it was on.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 17:34 PropheT

Fion wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 11:08:
I rather dislike that the show revealed who did it. The books have only ever hinted at the culprit or culprits. Which lead to lively debate among fans IRL and on the web.

And yes, the story has changed from the book quite significantly with this episode. I do wonder where they are going with it and why the change was made. Just so they could reveal a (not even in the books) BBEG? Martin releases a new book every 4-6 years and it's been just under 3 years since Book 4. So it's entirely possible Book 5 will hit before they are done with Book 3 & 4 on the show.

6. Book 5 is the one that came out a few years ago.

I don't watch the show (I've seen 2 seasons, and a couple of other episodes since, and don't know what they revealed yet), but my impression was always that it didn't really matter who killed him. It was inevitable, and by the time it happened it just didn't matter a great deal who actually did it or even why as long as it was done.

I am a bit dismayed by the fact that a series of books that I started 15 years ago is likely to be spoiled by the TV show, all but guaranteeing I never finish reading them. Assuming the series ever actually finishes in print, that is.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2014, 16:18 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 11:23:
For many, though, I think the numbers are just a way to feel justification in the crap you've irrationally aligned yourself with. Engadget got rid of numbers, because iOS fans and Android fans were constantly rubbing it in each other's faces when one device got 0.1 higher than another device. It was bragging rights for the corporation you obviously loved.

That's been the warhorn for Xbox One since it launched (the PS4 has no games because our games averaged .4 higher at launch!). Hell, there's probably an argument on Amazon about the proper toaster to buy because of a difference in star rating there, too.

I've found that reviews rarely mean anything to me anymore, but I'm not sure they're for older people at this point. The younger crowd wants Angry Joe ranting hyperbole about small game features as if they're life destroying choices, but I've yet to see a case where that was helpful in determining if I should buy a game or not; it's usually the opposite. If I passed on the games that get 70's in the last couple of years in favor of the "must have" games from the big reviewers, I'd probably have quit gaming entirely and certainly would have missed out on my favorite titles in that time frame.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 24, 2014, 12:28 PropheT

I've used Chrome for years and don't get the things he's saying in the article. I've never had the crashes he's describing, ever, and if he's worried about Chrome being used to track what you're doing and then later boasts about how you can use two different search engines in Firefox instead (one most likely Google anyway) then I'm not sure he even understands what he's talking about. They'll track that usage too.

Firefox was a resource hog when I used it, crashes frequently, and was generally slower than Chrome. It'd be great if they fixed that, but even if they did I don't see a reason to switch back since I don't pile on add-ons anyway.

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
28. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 14:42 PropheT

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2014, 12:14:
Watching the trailer earlier (when the V/O starts), I thought that was French Hottie, back from DA1...oh well.

It's the inquisitor from DA2, although there was a quick shot of someone who looks a lot like Leliana later in the trailer. I wouldn't be surprised to see her back.

I'm excited for the game. DA2 was disappointing because it wasn't really a worthy sequel to the excellent first game, but I still had fun with it. Bioware's worst game is still better than nine of out ten games out there.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2014, 20:54 PropheT

I was going to post how I thought they already had, and then I opened the article and actually read it (weird, I know) and it's about the auto industry. Heh.  

News Comments > The Golf Club Early Access
2. Re: The Golf Club Early Access Apr 18, 2014, 11:40 PropheT

I've still yet to see a game that captures the experience of a real game of golf where my brother crashes a cart and my dad is cracking dick jokes every hole, but I might give this one a shot if the swing mechanics are well done  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 16, 2014, 21:51 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 20:26:
I think the article said that NJ gave Verizon $15B in subsidies to build out high speed connections. For that amount, the state could have built its own fiber network.

The sad thing about it is that the municipal costs to lay the fiber are higher than the cost of what the companies pay to do it. Tearing stuff up and then putting it back together again to lay the fiber costs more than the installation does, and yet that part gets paid for with subsidies on top of what local governments pay to get the installation actually done...and even after all of that, it's still hard to get them to do any actual service outside of areas that they consider the most profitable, and then they may just turn around and sell or lease that network to someone else anyway.

Not that it really matters, they often lobby to stop municipalities from building or owning the networks in the first place.

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 15, 2014, 00:09 PropheT

PHJF wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 20:55:
I think I just figured out where that missing airliner went!

I feel bad for laughing at that as much as I did.

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
14. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 16:08 PropheT

Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 15:40:
Five years in the making, never any progress, almost never any news. Hardly surprising.

Yeah. I honestly was surprised to see this story since I didn't know they'd still been making it, I thought it had slipped away a long time ago.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
7. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 12:59 PropheT

Announcement video.

Aww, yiss.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2014, 11:46 PropheT

Yeah, I can't top that  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 23:22 PropheT

StaTik wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 22:41:
Have I been living under a rock and they anounced gt5 for PC?

I've seen a lot of assumptions that it was coming out soon, but I don't think I've ever seen anything officially announced.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 10, 2014, 19:44 PropheT

Both consoles look extremely weak when it comes to must-have, generation-defining software.

Better to have a story that says, "Video Game Journalism Has a Hyperbole Problem", since it'd be more accurate.

The only consoles defined by the software they released in the first 6 months of their availability were defined by that software because they weren't successful enough post-launch for their library to mature normally.

Development takes time, and not everyone wants to or can jump on board before knowing if the hardware install base will give them a return on the investment.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 16:34 PropheT

Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 11:05:
I'd say that if your industry is duping children to the tune of 2.4% of your total customer base (and let's be honest, that's what was reported, and likely nowhere near the entire total), that that is a SERIOUS FUCKING PROBLEM.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he was saying there. In the sentence before that he mentions that there's $6 billion in lifetime sales, and then in the next dismisses 2.4% of those sales being unauthorized purchases as being nothing to be concerned about. That's not exactly an insignificant amount of money.

In any case, the people who don't like free to play (myself included) generally are complaining because it's not a system designed to be better for the players, it's one designed to spread the cost out across the game in a way that means getting the same amount of content that you'd get for actually purchasing it would wind up costing even more money when bought as separate microtransactions. If you could buy the game OR get it piecemeal that would be one thing, but it's an all or nothing proposition with every game like this I know of; there's no consumer choice in how to buy, and any game designed as F2P is forced to push ways at having you keep pumping quarters into the machine.

Free to play can be just fine, but don't lie and tell me that it's done for my own good. Companies use the model because they can potentially make more money that way.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 9, 2014, 19:47 PropheT

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 18:42:
Wow, harsh Infamous review...all I can say is I'm 3-4 hours in and having a blast.

Different strokes...

Yeah, I loved the whole thing. My only complaint was that it was too short (~15 hours at 100% completion with a good guy play through).

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 7, 2014, 22:55 PropheT

Just how screwed up are things when they give out awards for telling the truth. Oy  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Apr 5, 2014, 14:23 PropheT

I'm not sure it was one of the biggest clusterfucks ever, since it has actually sold pretty well since it launched. It's sort of a confusing system since many of the gripes about it are actually legitimate, but it still seems to do just fine anyway.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 17:06 PropheT

Zanderat1 wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 15:40:
How badly does this trample on lore? And how exactly does a TES game work as a MMO? Part of what makes the TES series is the single player open world aspect.

If anything, I'd actually say lore is a strong point of the game. It's set a long time before the single player games, from what I've gathered, before the lengthy Septim ruling chain of the Empire.

It's TES in that it uses the same lore, races, characterizations, locations, and so on. It has some of the feel of the single player games, but largely plays and progresses like an MMO. After the first 10 levels or so, you really do wind up just wandering and grabbing quests as you run into them, though; it's not as streamlined of a theme park as WoW or Warhammer and even seems a bit less directed than GW2 (although there's less choices of where to go than in GW2).

Where the single-player games are more about exploration and discovery, this is more about combat and storytelling. Whether that's good or bad will depend on player tastes, really.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
24. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 22:43 PropheT

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:35:
I normally give games a test run myself, but I value his gaming opinion, and after we played Wildstar, he said that it's WAY better in every way vs ESO.

Try them for yourself if you're interested. I'm enjoying ESO, but I don't think it's great; I don't regret paying for it. After trying Wildstar my interest in it is practically zero... it's good looking, but more or less plays and acts like DC Universe or Champions Online in a sci-fi/fantasy setting. The graphics and animations are fantastic, though.

They're very different games and will appeal to different people. Honestly, though, for what it's worth... if Warlords of Draenor hit right now I wouldn't play either of them.

2155 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo