Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2101 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 22, 2014, 13:03 PropheT

nin wrote on May 22, 2014, 10:55:
That's odd, as I got no email at all, and kept expecting to get one yesterday.

I didn't get one either. I had just changed my password within the last couple of weeks anyway, though, which should have been after the breach.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 12:59 PropheT

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2014, 10:25:
You guys sure love status quo.

I'd argue that the status quo is better than characters created arbitrarily just to diversify their game portfolio. The best written black character I can think of in a japanese game is Zzaz from FF13, and he's practically a walking stereotype.

News Comments > Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent
18. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 12:54 PropheT

Yakubs wrote on May 22, 2014, 12:08:
Legendary drop rates were already ridiculously high before this buff. Just playing a few hours here and there before I got bored with the game again netted me almost an entire stash page full of legs.

That doesn't really do you any good, though. That stash page full of legendaries will get you the materials to re-enchant the stuff you're actually wearing, but you could drop a few more pages full of them before replacing any of your gear once you're actually wearing all set/legendaries. I haven't replaced a piece of gear on my crusader in weeks, but still don't have best in slot items or a single class set piece.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 This Summer
8. Re: Wasteland 2 This Summer May 20, 2014, 21:16 PropheT

Saboth wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:53:
But not doing the early access, or even watching many videos because I don't want to ruin the final game.

I booted it up and started it, played for about 5 minutes, and then decided to wait until it was finished. It's probably the one game that I don't kind of regret backing on Kickstarter (Divinity: OS that is).

News Comments > Wasteland 2 This Summer
2. Re: Wasteland 2 This Summer May 20, 2014, 20:21 PropheT

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:04:
Six months overdue, not too bad but they should open up the beta to all KS backers.

Yeah, it's a bit off-putting that I still can't play it because I only gave them something like $50 instead of $60 even though it's been on Steam for a long time now.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Gears of War can May 16, 2014, 12:32 PropheT

NetHead wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:39:
100 days work and that's what they have to show. Is it censored? Is it an inside joke? Or have they been jerking off for 100 days and pulled this blur out of their butts when asked to show something.

Could just be that it was the highest resolution the XB1 could handle running the game at by this point.

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Ford Runner 2 May 15, 2014, 20:58 PropheT

El Pit wrote on May 15, 2014, 19:18:
After seeing how Prometheus turned out, I'm a bit skeptical about Ridley Scott's prequel/sequel attempts. He seems to have lost his mojo just like Lucas and (mostly) Spielberg have.

I liked Prometheus quite a bit, but I'd argue that problems with the movie were more likely because of script issues than anything Scott did. The direction is solid, the acting is good (for the most part), thematically it's solid; its weak points mostly came as a result of script changes.

Similarly, I don't think any of the problems are with Ford; it's with casting him as a guy who's still 40 years old instead of bringing in fresh faces and new stories. You can tell a good Star Wars story without anything or anyone from the original movies involved. Same with Blade Runner. Maybe not Indiana Jones...

It seems like Hollywood has no confidence in what they're producing anymore. Without tying a big name to a project, it's not getting made; it's not that anyone really wants 70-year old Schwarzenegger as a Terminator. Same with Star Trek without Nimoy, or apparently Star Wars without Ford.

I don't know if that's because of the high cost of making the movies, or because almost everything is someone else's artistic creation that's just being re-branded and re-marketed for a new audience now instead. It makes me a bit sad and destroys any hope of anything original coming along when a franchise with a built-in fanbase guaranteed to make tens of millions almost no matter what like Star Wars won't even take chances...what are the odds that something new will.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2014, 13:36 PropheT

Creston wrote on May 15, 2014, 11:50:
You're also ignoring that if you go to your State's university, you basically pay little to no tuition. If you go to your local community college, you pay no tuition at all. It's only when you want to go out of state, or go to a private university that, yeah, you have to pay huge amounts of money for your education. Whether that's justified or not, and whether those titles are worth the money being charged for them is not a discussion I want to go into.

I'm curious as to where you get this idea, because it's just not true. Any average person is taking out loans to go to an in-state university, and community college isn't far off the same cost anymore either. Those places aren't kept open by tax dollars alone and almost no one is getting their education on someone else's dime.

Costs of schooling.

The average tuition and fees at an in-state public college was $7,249, during the 2010-11 school year. Books and supplies cost an additional $1,194. Total costs of attendance at public four-year colleges will vary based on the student's living situation. Students living on campus pay $20,114 in total costs, on average, while those living off campus pay $21,665.

My wife just finished her bachelor's in January, and even though her workplace reimburses a hefty part of the costs it still wound up costing us about $9k out of pocket plus books, which even going lowest-cost possible still wound up around another $1k. It definitely wasn't anywhere near basically not paying anything at all.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 15, 2014, 13:14 PropheT

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2014, 11:06:
Anyway, Amazon's biggest issue, in the offices at least, is that they have their "bar," and only hire people that "raise it." This means they end up with positions open for months, interviewing dozens of candidates without any meeting "the bar," and meanwhile the ones in the job are dying because there's too few of them for the amount of work.

They do that where I work, too...and then they publicly pat themselves on the back and brag about how they're doing more with less because of their great employees. I've never worked anywhere with morale as low as it is right now despite working for two tech companies that were laying people off left and right when I was there.

It's also supposedly one of the best places to work in America, if you believe the reports, so I'm solidly convinced that you'll find miserable employees practically anywhere if that's what you go looking for.

News Comments > Diablo III Turns Two - Birthday Bonuses
9. Re: Diablo III Turns Two - Birthday Bonuses May 14, 2014, 23:55 PropheT

Fion wrote on May 14, 2014, 23:06:
D3 expansion is pretty awesome. I've never seen a game turn such a 180. Looking forward to playin this shit out of this in the next few days.

Yup, maybe I can finally find some of those class set drops for my crusader. Probably not, but it's fun to try.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 14, 2014, 21:40 PropheT

The problem is that with the examples you gave and the money needed they'll never make money on it and will probably lose it. That's a special case that won't see the same sort of effort dedicated by a community that doesn't have the investment capital to essentially throw away to do it, and that's ignoring upkeep and support costs if one of those farmers accidentally cuts a fiber line laying tile in a field or something.

No argument that ISP's can't do better than they have, but in the case of the U.S. it's going to take a real effort by the state and federal governments to invest in their own infrastructure.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Russia May 14, 2014, 16:59 PropheT

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 14, 2014, 14:06:
As far as playoff hockey goes, last nights Rangers game was pretty bad. It would be considered bad for a regular season game... watch the Bruins\Habs game tonight, that should be one hell of a game.

I'm a Pens fan, they kind of imploded a couple of games ago and just never picked it up again. Just disappointing to watch another year of them hitting a wall and aside from a few players all but giving up.

I live in MN, though, and you kind of have to love the Wild here. I'm actually more depressed about them losing last night, but that was a hell of a game and one of the best playoff series I've seen...both of theirs have been, their series with the Avs was great, too.

Both of my favorite teams ending their seasons on the same night made for a pretty shitty night, though :p

3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2014, 12:14 PropheT

The priceless part of that article is that the most popular post under it, right at the top, is a guy being an obvious dick and trolling people. There's an article about trolling at the top, and then examples showing their work directly underneath the article.

Unless you're running a game like EVE or DayZ, people who troll like that should be banned hard and fast. It's better for your players and for the strain it puts on your support staff to keep up with them. It's why I don't touch games like EVE or Rust or DayZ, either; I deal with enough people who treat me like shit at work that I don't really need it in my free time, too.

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2014, 11:58 PropheT

jomisab wrote on May 12, 2014, 09:56:
And that 50% of Netflix users would start using what other service(s) instead??

50% say they would, maybe 2% actually would.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2014, 16:52 PropheT

Dirwulf wrote on May 11, 2014, 16:19:
800 games? I call bullshit. I guess it's possible, if you buy pieces of shit like Infestation. You must have a CoC...Catalog of Crap. You probably paid into Earth: Year 2066 lol.

800 games isn't that surprising. There's people that have posted here that have said they have quite a bit more than that just on Steam. Hell, I'm pushing 300 there myself and I'd be surprised if my console library didn't rival that if I include everything I've had since the 90's. 800's a lot of games but definitely not hard to believe.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 9, 2014, 23:51 PropheT

nin wrote on May 9, 2014, 23:18:
Rather amazing they try and play the victim, after threatening to sue someone if they didn't alter/remove a review.

I don't understand why they didn't just reply to the review and offer the facts, since it's well within their power to do that. I've seen it done by other sellers there, and it seems like a concise way to deal with a problem review for them in a way that actually shows they're trying to work with customers instead of suppressing any they don't like.

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
46. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 02:18 PropheT

NKD wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:42:
What level did you get to?

Not high at all, but I'm not sure. It wasn't more than a handful of levels. Between the questing that seems designed for you to click through it and follow an arrow rather than actually get involved in it and struggling to do basic things with the UI I had no interest in forcing my way through in hopes that it gets better later. My problems with it aren't with lack of skills or abilities or the sorts of things that resolve as you level, it's the basic functionality and interface that I hate.

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
41. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 22:03 PropheT

Fibrocyte wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:13:
Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

I love MMO's, and play or have played most of them. After trying Wildstar again today I don't have anything positive to say about it, and I usually at least kind of like practically anything that's competent. Aside from the art and animations there really isn't anything I enjoyed about in my time I spent with it, and it still has the worst UI of any game I've played in recent memory even after they updated it.

I want to like it but really, really can't get into it at all. This game was hyped all to hell and it just sucks.

News Comments > WildStar Open Beta This Week
6. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 21:22 PropheT

NKD wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:44:
The leveling curve isn't as fast as most modern MMOs, and with the focus on bringing back a "vanilla WoW" style of raiding, it'll be too hardcore for a lot of folks. Kiddies with attention deficit won't have too much fun in Wildstar, neither will the non-MMO players who insist on playing MMOs by themselves then complaining that they aren't having any fun.

Does anyone actually want that? I'd be genuinely surprised if they get actual old-school MMO raiding into the game and more than just the small poopsocking hardcore 1%'er crowd actually likes it.

As for the non-MMO players who play by themselves, eh. Whatever. I've solo played every MMO since the ones that you weren't supposed to solo, so I'd consider myself an MMO player. Just because you don't want to wait for 5 people to take a shit every time you pull a monster and then get yelled at for not pressing buttons in a specific order to the pleasure of a sweaty bastard on ventrilo doesn't mean you aren't a "real" MMO player. MMO's in general are a pretty casual market, the more you focus on the hardcore at the casual player's expense the less likely the game is going to go anywhere, or be worth playing in the first place.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 6, 2014, 19:03 PropheT

Bringing back the old cast kind of gives new meaning to when they say they've spotted walkers past the south beacon.  

2101 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo