Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2150 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 15:49 PropheT

WaltC wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:26:
Gee, guy, take a look at anatomical charts for men and women and study up on how the human race procreates (how you got here, in other words), and you may just discover the reason homosexuality has been a deviant sexual practice in every civilization on earth since the dawn of recorded history. Long before there were churches, etc.

You know none of that is true, right? There isn't any evidence to support that every culture (not civilization) has looked poorly on it at all, and it's been a more or less accepted part of culture in most areas that weren't dominated by Abrahamic religions. There's also been religion of some kind more or less since the dawn of recorded history. The facts don't really support the prejudices and never have, it's just been part of societal norms in different cultures that have largely based those norms on religion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 12:19 PropheT

Only good burger place around here is a small town bar that I wouldn't even have known served food if it wasn't for a friend. There's a semi-local burger place that gets raves all the time, and after trying it twice I can't figure out why...they server burgers with a taste and texture like they were thrown on your bun by the goaltender after a glove save.  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jun 28, 2014, 01:17 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 19:10:
I see, so you actually prefer titles like "Call of Duty," "Company of Heroes," "Age of Empires," "Dawn of War," and "League of Legends?" I suppose you'd like "Half Life" to be renamed "Alien Invasion" or "Gordon's War?" "System Shock" should have been "Station of Death?" "Mass Effect" should have been "Star Agents" or something?

I'm struggling to get your point here.

Call of Duty is a name that would be interchangeable in books, movies, or the games and I'm not sure what you'd see wrong with it. Company of Heroes is the name of a pretty well received book about Easy Company as well, so again, not seeing the issue there if you're referring to that title as one that "needs to grow up." Age of Empires is also a phrase that has been used to describe the period of world history prior to WW1 and the fall of the Ottoman empire, so that's not really a bad choice. There's a book series called Dawn of War.

I'm not sure what's wrong with League of Legends really, either, I guess, or what's better about Half-Life, System Shock, or Mass Effect's titles other than that you like the games so they must be fine. Bulletstorm is kind of an adolescent name for a game, but the game isn't particularly serious either so it works just fine. Edge of Tomorrow was based off the book "All You Need Is Kill" and had that name until last year I think, and I'd love to hear how that is somehow any better than the average game title.

It's a whole lot of pointless rage about pointless things that aren't really enough to warrant an article.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 26, 2014, 23:12 PropheT

I don't think Coolio was pissed until Amish Paradise outsold the original song.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 26, 2014, 20:20 PropheT

I live in southern MN, and the city where I work has something similar (can't remember the name of it). A lot of places that don't otherwise deliver use it, but as often as not the price of the delivery is as much as the food you order.  

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Incoming
12. Re: Titanfall Patch Incoming Jun 26, 2014, 12:17 PropheT

Scheherazade wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:10:
Patch the player count, and toss the LoL trash mobs, and maybe the game will have a chance for a 2nd wind.

It needs an offline mode, but with the size of the maps there is no way that adding more players would improve the game. Once you get 3 titans down at a time on either side the game becomes pretty crowded as it is.

The trash mobs are also necessary. They aren't generally going to kill you, but they're an important part of the most popular game type. They also talk, letting you know important map information if you're around them (pilot spotted, titan spotted, etc.).

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Jun 24, 2014, 22:54 PropheT

I actually like the new Total Recall movie better than the old Schwarzenegger one.

Agree on the Predator movies, though, there's not much reason to remake them. Predators was pretty good, imo, and they could do something actually new instead of just trying to remake the original. They can keep Arnie out now, though, because like Danny Glover he's just too old for this shit.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 24, 2014, 22:50 PropheT

The only difference between Ben's articles and a Gamefaqs post these days is that he runs a spell check.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies Jun 23, 2014, 20:02 PropheT

Something about CoH 2 didn't click with me, but I love and still play CoH 1. I'm hoping these new armies add back in part of what I was missing and makes it all gel a bit more.  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 19:03 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 18:35:
The NHL playoffs had plenty of players writhing on the ground for no reason.

I watched all or part of every series in the playoffs and don't recall ever seeing someone writhing around on the ground, faking it or otherwise. Guys try to get calls with questionable hits and definitely embellish them, but outright flopping is too costly for the team in hockey and almost never happens.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 14:58 PropheT

That test was interesting, I got an 83%/0% score even though shortly after starting it I was fairly sure I was doing terribly.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2014, 00:40 PropheT

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:23:
Wasteland 2 early access up as a $40 buy on the Steam Sale. Not sure how I feel about that. It's only going to cost $40 when it's done, right? $30?

I'm not sure what the final price was intended to be, but I put in $50 on Kickstarter and that was good for 2 copies at the time.

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
48. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 23:00 PropheT

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 17:55:
What that guy said. There are bots for some functions, but not all. You still end up needing to be online and find other (human) players.

It doesn't really make sense, either. They have a beta private mode in game that requires at least one other human player, so the mode is more or less there. Everything already has an AI routine already to work more or less by itself, too; your titan will use AI mode if you aren't in it, there are loads of NPC's fighting anyway, but the option isn't there to just play without other people.

I'd play the shit out of it if it had a bot mode, but still will probably find myself going back to CS:GO instead just because of that even though I like Titanfall better gameplay-wise.

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
32. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 13:36 PropheT

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:04:
Yeah, I would have jumped the fuck all over this if there was SP and more (not partial) bot support.

I picked it up a week or so ago when they had the sale, and was surprised that I like it as much as I do... but I haven't been able to complete the campaign because of lack of players, and the other night it took me 10-15 minutes to finally get into a game before I could play because there wasn't enough people playing.

It's a great game, but without an offline mode/bots it's almost impossible to recommend since even this close to release there's not enough players to make it possible to play the way you'd want to. Maybe this free thing will fix that, but I doubt it since the game is a completely insane 50gb download.

News Comments > Defiance Returns to TV Tonight
3. Re: Defiance Returns to TV Tonight Jun 19, 2014, 18:42 PropheT

I haven't played in a while, but it's not a bad game...just not a whole lot to it. When I quit playing, you could more or less run through the available content in about 5-10 hours depending on how fast you move and it's just sort of grinding around doing random events from there.

The show is ok, I guess. It has too many characters, with only a couple being interesting; it's good when they're involved, and bad when it switches away from them. With a little luck it's improved for the new season by cutting some of its problem areas and focusing on the good parts. It sucks a lot that something like Almost Human gets axed while this stays around, but it's still semi-watchable sci-fi. I think the first season is free on Amazon Prime right now, maybe Netflix but I haven't checked...it's ok if you go in expecting a Syfy show.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
35. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 16:17 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:00:
Oh Gosh, the excitement!!! (Seriously, why do people bother with this?)

The badges let you get in-game items for Warframe during the last sale, so they were at least sort of interesting for that. In general, though, I have no idea.

30. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 16:00 PropheT

Verno wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 15:01:
It's early access still. I'm waiting til it comes out, I swore off all early access and Kickstarter stuff no matter the pedigree of the devs. Hopefully it'll be great as expected but I don't mind waiting and paying an extra little bit of money.

Go ahead and grab it, this was from the email they sent to backers today:

Hello everybody!

Extremely busy times here at Larian as we're getting ready for release on June 30th so we'll keep it short.

It's worth saving a few dollars now even if you're waiting for release since the release date is the last day of the sale anyway.

15. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 14:23 PropheT

Now they're rocking sales for games that aren't even out yet. Not that I'm complaining, but... seems weird.  

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 19:30 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 16:40:
And, with video games, no one gives a shit that Batman is a dude, despite you repeatedly saying it. What people care about is that video games star, almost exclusively, straight white males. Non-straight, non-white or non-males tend to be minor roles, often underclothed and in distress.

Hollywood isn't like this. The Hunger Games is about a strong female who's clothed. Even comic book movies now - Natalie Portman is Thor's clothed love interest. Scarlett Johansson is Captain America's clothed partner who saves his ass.
In video games? No. This doesn't happen often. People don't care much that many video games are trite, whitewashed male bullshit. People care that it's almost exclusive.

Video games star almost exclusively white males because that's what sells. That's the market; frankly, if anybody tries to do anything different they can't win. Lara Croft was remade into a character who, in the latest game, could easily have been male and people *still* bitch because she's attractive so therefore not male enough to not be sexist.

As far as Hollywood not doing the same thing, that's utter horseshit. Just completely untrue. There are no comic books movies with female leads that Hollywood's taken a serious shot at despite the popularity of the characters in comics. Johannsen's Black Widow fits the same minor character stereotype that you just slammed games for, she's almost completely unnecessary in the movie.

And the Hunger Games turns into a damsel story by the 3rd book where she becomes a prize between her two love interests. Sorry to burst the bubble for you, if you haven't read it.

There are umpteen examples of characters that don't fit your minor role, damsel in distress, unclothed stereotype but instead with all this Sarkeesian shit THIS is the kind of discussion we have. It's idiotic, it's not actually factual, and it really serves no purpose whatsoever.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 12:22 PropheT

Like always, she's going to find everything bad that she's looking for because that's exactly what she set out to find. Gaming journalism isn't any better than the big news sites reporting political stories these days in that they take complex issues and then break them down into sound bites, and treat those stories as simple black and white issues.

It sounds good if you're an activist but doesn't do shit to actually fix anything, and actually discourages any real discussion since it ignores the bigger picture in favor of making a point.

As for playing video games with friends rather than strangers, that'd be fun but it's not usually realistic. My kids play, my wife plays, but we all play different things in different ways and at different paces. Any number of factors makes it harder than it used to be, from lack of LAN game modes to cost involved to there just not being that many games that do this or do it well anymore outside of rehashes of the same games we played on the couch in the 90's.

2150 Comments. 108 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo