Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2127 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC
17. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 20:00 PropheT

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 10:54:
Shuddupayaface . It actually is that good and you quit the wrong game in favor of a mediocre shitty game.

It's really not.

The story and writing is mediocre at best, the content after chapter 1 is poorly put together, and the only thing really compelling about the game in the long run is the combat. I put a decent amount of time into it and finished it, so I'd never call it bad -- but Divinity really isn't as great as it gets made out to be.

If there was anything else out in the same genre even remotely recently it would be looked at in the same light as Risen 3; good enough for people who really like that kind of game, but not the kind of game you hype up. It doesn't hold a candle to older games of the same type, it was just refreshing because it came out when there hadn't been anything like it in so long.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 13:02 PropheT

I'd argue that the clear winner is the person who doesn't limit themselves to one system. I'm not sure I've ever understood liking a platform more than the games on it, or limiting your choices based on platform loyalty when there's no way there isn't something (or a lot of somethings) to enjoy on a console even if you're a PC die-hard.  

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
18. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 13, 2014, 16:54 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 16:45:
The difference is that you actually have to own your Steam games, then streaming can only be done locally. This is cloud streaming, so it can be done from anywhere. And depending on how they do it, you'll could have access to a vast library of existing Xbox games.

There's enough crossover with Xbox titles that I can't personally see any reason to want this over the benefits of owning and installing the same games locally to a gaming PC.

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
1. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 13, 2014, 13:20 PropheT

PC gaming with all the licensing and restrictions of playing on the Xbone, but finally people will be able to play games like Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 on their PC's. Wait...  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 00:43 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 00:10:
She ridicules those that don't like women and want nothing to ever improve.
Does that describe you? If so, you deserve to be ridiculed.

It does not describe most people, yet so many seem willing to think it does.

Speaking of straw men, that's not what the Gamasutra "gamers are over" article was even about or what she was talking about at all other than the fact that it's sad that the outward face of gaming were repeated messages about misogyny, slut-shaming, and so on.

It was about the gaming community sucking ass (it does), and that it was gaming journalism's job now to foster a better community (it won't), and that the "gamer" that made up the gaming community of the past is gone and no one cares (because wishing for a better audience creates one, apparently).

It's a decent article, and she's right about the gaming community. What she's wrong about is that gaming journalism is about a community other than the one it has, as if gaming and the sites writing about it are now catering to a different audience than r/gaming and r/games and so on.

The reason gamers got so pissed is because they're tired of being told how much they suck by the people whose bread they're buttering, and they've gone on the rampage against gaming journalism because there's been a very pointed Us vs. Them thing that's been fostered.

The fact that you went to the "you must be a misogynist if you disagree" route when that wasn't even the point of the discussion is a pretty goddamn good example of why people are so tired of all of this. I hate the gaming community, I hate the childishness in it and the near-constant state of outrage, but when it comes to being part of an audience I'm still a gamer even if I don't want to label myself as one; and as a gamer in that respect, I'm the core audience of these sites who have chosen to repeatedly attack their audience in an attempt to shame them into being a different community than they are.

It isn't most people but it's still aimed at all of us, and it's gotten really fucking old.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2014, 13:59 PropheT

I'm excited as hell for Destiny (although maybe not enough to play at 2am here later), and I'd never even really be considering it if it wasn't for the beta event they did.

For people who don't understand the draw of it, it has PvP multiplayer akin to Halo while having a co-op/single player story experience you can play. My favorite part is the open-world, throw you into the zone and let you explore portion of the game; it's very Fallout-esque to me, with a side of Metro thrown in. You really don't know if there's going to be a treasure box in that dark room around the corner or something gigantic that'll eat you since it's not necessarily just safe for all levels everywhere.

It's polished, atmospheric, and plays really well. I just hope the servers can handle the influx of people as it comes up :p

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 22:25 PropheT

Quboid wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 21:32:
Oh good, this stuff in OotB too. And someone self-important shouting at a camera belittling their opponents, that always settles debates.

Well, there's 8 other links there that you could just read instead.

I kind of thought the point was that there never was a debate to resolve in the first place. After a lot of righteous indignation in article after article belittling something and anyone who disagrees, nobody else that I've seen with more of a voice than an average forum poster has really bothered to point out that the professionally offended aren't really paying attention to facts.

All that aside, I thought it was just nice for someone to do something that said we aren't all shitty people for liking games or comics or whatever for a change.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 13:37 PropheT

I think that Spider-Woman Maddox video might be the best thing I've ever seen.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 5, 2014, 12:00 PropheT

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 09:52:
It is rather telling they all trotted out the same line, all around the same time, in an attempt to circle the wagons...

They did the same thing when people got in an uproar about Mass Effect 3's ending. There was the usual internet hyperbole involved with people exaggerating and waving end of the world signs, but there was a lot of people who were genuinely upset with something at least topically important.

Instead of actually talking about it or acknowledging that maybe there was a real issue there, though, most of the major game sites decided to attack the players instead, so it's not really any wonder that a few years later we're all misogynistic low-rent bastards to them now.

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
3. Re: Memorial Consolidation Sep 1, 2014, 20:55 PropheT

Hearing Persona 5 is coming to PS4 and that a new Hot Shots Golf game is coming as well kind of made my day.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 30, 2014, 00:41 PropheT

btallas wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 00:16:
Regarding the map that shows every connected device on the internet, I wanna know what's connected in the middle of Greenland.

It's this, according to (this).

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 12:02 PropheT

Gamers are over.
You can't lead by targeting them.

Kajetan wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:30:
She isnt important. Its not about her. Its about the role of women in video games and the video game industry.

No it isn't.

I strongly prefer female characters in games, movies, and even books. I'm not sure I could say why, but I always have. The fact is that aside from the occasional imagery in video games (which I'd still argue is artistic design and not anti-female in the first place), women are treated better and more fairly in games right now than they are in popular fiction written by and for women.

As for the industry, I don't see what appealing to gamers about it is supposed to do other than stir up the shitstorm. Women have been an integral part of the industry pretty much since the beginning with people like Roberta Williams putting out games that people still look back on fondly. Are there a lot fewer women in the field? Yeah, of course; but that's true of ANY technical field.

Most of the evidence is people saying dumb shit on the internet, and if that's all it takes then anyone who posted a picture of themselves (male or female) on a public site like Tumblr or Reddit has experienced the same thing. Contrary to what these people want others to believe, Twitter or YouTube comments or Reddit posts probably aren't the best representation of people or the reality of interaction within a community outside of those particular places.

Anyway, didn't we just do this? I think we just did this.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
61. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:41 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:33:
How do you have a discussion on it, though? A woman says "as a woman, that makes me feel lesser." And men immediately say "you're wrong."

Most men don't look for a dialogue about sexism. Frankly, nearly every man fails to understand sexism. We have no frame of reference for it at all, like someone colorblind has no frame of reference for green.

You address actual existing issues instead of just throwing out a broad admonishment of an entire industry for being sexist by cherry picking anything you can possibly find, often with no context, to support it. If you don't, you get this:

New Statesman article on Sarkeesian where if you disagree with what she does, you're just stupid and don't understand what she's doing, hate women, or both (he alternates), and any criticism of it just enforces her point. THIS is the stuff people are mad about, because it's having an impact on gaming and the gaming community, and I'd challenge anyone to show me a positive impact that's come as a result.

Aseven's Brad Wardell link says it better than I can.

I'd also strongly disagree to the men not understanding sexism thing. You don't have to be a woman to understand sexism any more than you have to be black to understand racism. You don't have to be subject to the same prejudices to see them applied, or to experience a level of empathy with someone they're practiced on. I refuse to believe it because if only those people can ever truly understand those issues, then there's no hope for them ever being resolved.

38. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 15:25 PropheT

Jensen wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 02:58:
Ar you talking about Internet Aristocrat and thunderf00t and the millions of views they've gotten from this uproar? (how much did they get from the ads I watched before their videos?)

I'm not even sure what or who that is, so no. All I know is that there seems to be a pretty steady cycle of this where she or someone she seems to be closely associated with routinely uses examples like this to drum up support for their movement while their hands are outstretched looking for the next dollar.

It definitely happens, everyone remembers that the shit with Jade Raymond a few years back was nauseating, but she was doing her job and still is and is an important part of behind the scenes gaming production. Sarkeesian's only contribution are projects explicitly designed to show inequality, and she takes any hate or vitriol that heads her way and uses it as marketing to push a product that relies on it.

She counts on it, the gaming press has gone out of their way to oblige it, and it keeps gaining steam because anyone who disagrees is a misogynist bastard who thinks there's nothing wrong. There's no discussion actually there, no way to improve from that, and guys like Whedon giving her kudos and more press just seems like otherwise smart people suddenly deciding that Ann Coulter is a leading voice on political discourse.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 28, 2014, 12:35 PropheT

Price drop to $350 for the standalone console at the same time, maybe?  

13. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 02:14 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 22:05:
An imperfectly communicated message doesn't mean that message is without merit. It's something that has a long way to go before it's solved. Only through continuous awareness do such things happen.

Alright, so what would be the point where you think this would stop, where people would decide that gaming has improved and is no longer misogynistic? What would need to happen?

Save The Boob Plate is a damn good article about it, by one of the guys who helped make Divinity: Original Sin, and it covers this whole crusade pretty well.

The answer to the original question is kind of a trick one, though; nothing -can- happen that's going to appease people like Sarkeesian. She's not looking to make anything equal, or to even really address the issue...she stirs the pot because that's her bread and butter, it's what makes her famous.

Joss Whedon apparently doesn't realize that half the shit she rants about could just as well be targeted at the female characters he's famous for, because they'd fit right in to practically any video game out there and she's targeted things exactly like the work he's done for years.

Even if you do believe there's a real problem that needs to be taken care of immediately, it's not the Anita Sarkeesians or Zoe Quinns or however many of these other people who are popular in gaming right now because of this sort of stuff that gaming actually needs to improve or grow. They don't help things at all. Gaming and the writing around it really, really doesn't need any more professional victims pissing up the place and the people just cloud the issues and make things worse, force people to be treated as if they've picked sides, and otherwise shit on everything because the popularity that comes with it has been working for them.

I don't care what your opinion is on women in video games, but you have got to wonder why the people who have been loudest about all of this has always been the people with the most to gain by having the uproar. Some people are using it for their own popularity, or to sell their books, or games, or kickstarter projects, and others have been using it to generate hits for their "journalism" instead. When it actually comes down to fixing anything in games, the best thing anyone can ever come up with is that "well, uh, I guess we could get mad at booby plate and saving princesses."

/edit:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 01:52:
Is there a opt-out button for these stories? ^^ This is not gaming news. Like REALLY, it is not. This is politics, and politics have fuck all to do with gaming

It is, though. See the link I posted above (even if you aren't interested in my rambling nonsense); this stuff is affecting game development and how they deal with the press and gamers in the process.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
29. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 27, 2014, 20:36 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:07:
I don't know about the latter part of your statement, it might very well be true, but I have to say that I was very skeptical of ME3's MP and found it surprisingly fun.

I'm definitely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because of this. My first reaction is that MP is pretty unnecessary, and maybe it is, but I was negative about the MP for ME3 and I wound up playing that way more than I would have ever expected to.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
18. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 23:10 PropheT

Endo wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 23:06:
And considering how many of EA's games are just rehashed crap of which 90% came from the previous game in the series, I don't think you can make a good case for their games to require high development costs, especially with a game like Madden.

I'd guess that a large portion of the costs for Madden go into licensing fees for the NFLPA and NFL; developments costs don't necessarily need to be high for those games to still have a high production cost, especially since the NFL is one of the only organizations better at wringing nickels out of people's pockets than EA.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
16. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 23:03 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 22:43:
Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 21:04:
Outside of, arguably, Fallout 3, I haven't played a single game that's been gimped.

That... that's your one shining example? Fallout 3??

Yeah, not understanding that one either. The ending was fixed by DLC, but the game still wasn't gimped without it in any way since there was hundreds of hours worth of content and the choice to not even really bother with the main story in the first place.

Plants vs. Zombies 2, EA gimped in favor of DLC (at least according to my wife, I haven't played it). That's arguably a tablet-primary game, though, and that sort of stuff is the norm on mobile devices in a way that I don't think has been matched with any full release. Some have had mind-boggling levels of DLC available, like Gears of War 3, but that game wasn't gimped for lacking it if you didn't want it.

/edit since it popped up after I posted:

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 23:00:
Wait, what do you think I'm arguing?
Do you think I'm using Fallout 3 as an example that we have nothing to worry about or Fallout 3 as an example of how DLC can go wrong?

I think it was just disagreement that Fallout 3 was a gimped game prior to DLC being released.

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 Now Live
14. Re: Diablo III 2.1.0 Now Live Aug 26, 2014, 22:57 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 22:38:
It's not them, it's those DDoS asshats. It had been smooth as silk all day long since the servers came back up from maintenance, then suddenly community services went down, party matchmaking went haywire, and then my game was terminated. Entire B.net is offline.

Getting sick of these assholes doing this, it has been a problem on and off since the weekend trying to play WoW as well. My son got knocked off of League and couldn't reconnect, and went to play something else and then that got DDoS'd on Sunday...just infuriating, the idiots doing it seriously need some ball-peen hammer dentistry.

2127 Comments. 107 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo