Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2295 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Apr 26, 2015, 22:16 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 21:31:
It's Bethesda's property, dude. When money is involved, they're getting their royalties. Anything less would be to relinquish their copyrights, their IP ownership, everything they've worked so hard to build over the past couple decades. Without them, you wouldn't have a game to make mods for that you can sell to other people. Argue about their percentage all you want, but to say they shouldn't get a cut at all is asinine. That's not how the world works.

Why should musicians be paid royalties for radio stations earning revenue for their songs? Because it's their fucking song, or same for any of the other examples you gave of people getting paid for selling their creation.

So, I don't know what you're on about here...with paid mods you're not talking about GRR Martin getting paid for what he wrote, you're talking about him getting paid for other people's fan-fiction.

Modders have been making mods for PC games for as long as PC games have existed, and they've been free. Fans of that work have lengthened the lifespan of some of these games drastically, like is the case for the Elder Scrolls games, or given them new life entirely in some cases like Arma 2. Do you think Skyrim would have been at the top of Steam's sales charts for as long as it was without free mods? Some of Valve's biggest franchises wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for free mods, for that matter.

When mod creators are making the mod, doing all the work, and doing all the support... you don't see any kind of ethical issue to Bethesda taking a fairly large cut of the proceeds the mod generates, Valve taking their cut, and then the creator being left with what's left?

You can argue about how asinine it is and how that's the way the world works, but the entire reason this is an issue is right now is because up until they opened this shit up it ISN'T how it has worked.

And I'm still not sure why everyone should just be ok with it. Gamers have bitched about DLC for all these years, PC gamers have complained about how that's dominated console gaming and turned monetization into a game in itself designed to exploit as much as they can from the biggest fans of their games, and now this comes along.

It's not healthy for PC gaming, and the reason it's an ethical issue is because no matter what damage it does nobody will care as long as they get their cut before it all tanks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Apr 26, 2015, 20:08 PropheT

Squirmer wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 18:50:
There may well be too many problems with this in practice, but I'm not buying the "unethical" argument. Modders have been value-adding to games forever. Skyrim is getting close to 4 years old and it still sells well, in large part because of mods. There's an ethical question there because Bethesda is directly benefiting from free labor provided by modders. Usually no one questions this because it's just how it's always been.

The ethical question here is that for the Skyrim mods that are being sold this way Bethesda is getting a cut of the money from those sales, too.

So they're not only directly benefiting from the sales of their game due to the mods like they did in the past, they're now getting a cut of what those mods sell for on top of it.

As far as modding goes that's like getting their cake and eating it, and then taking some of your cake and eating that, too. Modders are no longer creating labors of love, they're making 3rd party paid DLC... and while I think most gamers would say it's fine for mod creators to be paid for their work if they're looking for that, I'm struggling with why anyone else should be getting a cut.

News Comments > WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming?
21. Re: WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming? Apr 15, 2015, 20:43 PropheT

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 19:16:
Naxrammas was a ton of fun at level 60. That's when they released the expansion and fucked the whole game with simplicity.

Something like one half of one percent of WoW's players participated in Naxx to any degree at level 60.

Designing and maintaining content for that percentage of their player population would have been asinine. They could piss off and lose every single player who entered Naxx at 60 and not only grow but thrive, there's literally no reason whatsoever to cater to that crowd.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 7, 2015, 12:56 PropheT

That's what people said about the RMAH.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patched
25. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patched Apr 4, 2015, 00:46 PropheT

Redmask wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 23:53:
If you read the posts, its mostly whiners like Cutter who want the game to be easy mode because they can only handle turn based combat and didn't bother to do 5 seconds of research to see what they were buying first. These are the same types who lie about how great Baldur's Gate 2 was when its readily apparent they never actually played. Typical vocal minority shit, don't put a lot of credence in it. The majority of the feedback on the game is overwhelmingly positive from users and the press.

Nobody said anything about the difficulty.
The research about the game consists of glowing reviews about how it was the best PC RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. I did play BG2, but that was about 15 years ago. I remember it being pretty good (are you saying it wasn't? It was? People who enjoyed it are/aren't stupid?)

But yeah, typical vocal minority shit. Let's crush any dissent with our majority derision, grawr, anyone who doesn't agree with us has relations with their mother. Nobody who has criticisms could ever possibly have a point because look at those review scores despite the fact that they call Pillars the best RPG since BG2, even though they said the same thing about Divinity:OS but apparently forgot about it in the last 6 months, so maybe they were full of hyperbolic bullshit then, too.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patched
9. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patched Apr 3, 2015, 19:39 PropheT

I strongly dislike the real time combat, it just seems like everything would be better in a turn-based system given how much you need to pause to really take advantage of everything anyway. You're pretty much never in total control of your party unless you're manually pausing every second or two, so there's literally no benefit to having the combat system be real time.

The other problem is that damage resistance is just a bad mechanic. Even if the damage was increased on faster weapons you're still going to run into fights where the DR difference makes either them or an entire class's main abilities useless.

Maybe the patch rebalances things and makes it work better but it seems like there are just too many inherent flaws to the combat design for that to help enough. I'm kind of disappointed that I let myself get snowed by the reviews so much that I dove in right away.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 2, 2015, 11:53 PropheT

At $30 a month for a few gigs of shared data across everyone on my plan, I just plain don't use my phone for internet since skirting the cap is so impractical. It's gotten so my household uses around 10 gigs a day on my cable access, but the availability of decent internet usage on our phone plan has actually gotten worse and more expensive rather than the other way around.  

News Comments > Nobody's Fool 2015 Part One
8. Re: Nobody's Fool 2015 Part One Apr 1, 2015, 11:54 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 10:18:
Too bad that PoE patch wasn't real.

Was thinking the same thing, I'd be much happier with the combat if that patch was real

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Mar 31, 2015, 21:09 PropheT

The average Star Citizen backer has contributed $96.

WTF

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
27. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 23:42 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 22:10:
The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 19:12:
A major bug in an Obsidian game? Whodathunkit?

Yeah it's not a major bug. A major bug would be "you can't get your stronghold" or "main quest fails to fire because xyz reason." This is a bug, and not a serious one at that. There's ways to avoid the bug entirely.

It completely removes all racial and permanent buffs from the character. That's game breaking on certain builds, especially if you do it after you've progressed a while, and at best it just completely removes any bonus you get from the race you chose.

You really can't dismiss it as not being a serious bug, and it's not like double-clicking something to equip it is strange to trigger considering practically every RPG with a graphical interface does that. It's easy to do even by accident, it's not always going to be noticed right away, and any saves after you do it are screwed.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 27, 2015, 13:03 PropheT

Task wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 11:56:
For the original part of the topic thing in that article, the female armor, it only makes sense to have 'realistic' armor in realistic games. Like say if you're pitching a game to be "authentic history combat"-whatever game (Kingdom Come), women didn't have boobie plates in ancient history (a glancing blow would be fatal if it caught on the bulges of such armor), they did wear types of armor, same as men depending on the time period.

If it's a "realistic" historical game then women aren't fighting at all. There's no consensus on historical female armor because women didn't fight often enough for there to be one; or in cultures where they did fight more commonly, they didn't wear armor in the first place the same as their male counterparts.

As for the part about glancing blows to boob plate bulges... I see that in a lot of discussions lately, and it comes from one lady's blog post where she gathered information from another blog and Tumblr. A glancing blow shouldn't pierce armor, that's the whole point of wearing it.

Not that it matters, for games and fantasy it's just games and fantasy. The same as movies, sometimes it doesn't matter if it's perfectly accurate as long as it looks cool.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 26, 2015, 22:29 PropheT

Orogogus wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 19:56:
Evidently so.

Well... the first article just sort of mentions it and why it works and doesn't say anything bad about it other than it's a sort of annoying way to sell products on a conference floor.

The second says the same thing, but also says that "4 or 5 booths" had them last year. That's out of this rather long list of exhibitors.

The third just says that every now and then you get a creepy guy, otherwise it's a decent gig if you can get it. It doesn't say anything bad about it.

The last one he's actually talking about marketing folks who are just there to push the product and can't discuss anything of substance with the people they're trying to sell to... so it's a waste of his time.

Given all of that, I'd say it's hard to argue that it's a problem rather than they're doing it either as a PR move or because their clientele are sick of marketing schticks in an industry that can't do shit without someone who can talk shop.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 15:33 PropheT

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 14:05:
First hour of play: Leagues above Divinity:OS. And I enjoyed the hell out of that game. I think we've got a masterpiece on our hands.

Only an hour and you already have a character created?

I'm hopeless when it comes to choices, I have to try everything. I started with a Death Godlike/Paladin, but I'm thinking I'll try something else after work just because there seems to be so many choices that matter just in the first 20 minutes of actually playing.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2015, 14:11 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 12:52:
While it's a fantasy world, and the developers can do what they want, I think it's fine to call them out for this miss.

I haven't played DA:I so I can't speak to the structural issues with the way NPCs of color are portrayed.

If you'd played it you'd know it's not the miss she's saying it is, which is what some people here have been trying to point out.

Welcome to games, though, where people will be applauded for calling attention to social issues and for equality all before anyone actually bothers to check if what's being said is actually true or just sounds like it could be.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 24, 2015, 11:52 PropheT

I don't even understand the point of the article, much less the assertions that she makes.

So if we know brown folks definitely existed in actual Medieval Europe, why are they absent from a made-up fantasy world only loosely inspired by Medieval Europe?

They aren't, but also... just because non-white people were in Europe doesn't mean they were common. Even today where populations are MUCH more diverse, France (Orlais) is 85% white. Only 3.5% is black. Modern France has no elves at all (0%).

Where are the brown folks in Dragon Age's Thedas?

Primarily in their countries of origin, exactly like in medieval times. Exactly like now. I'm sure as hell not going to waste the time to check, but I'd be willing to bet that there's more than that 3.5% in Inquisition.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 6, 2015, 01:52 PropheT

Sepharo wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 23:18:
PropheT wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 22:04:
Err, what?

You seriously didn't detect the sarcasm there?

Considering I don't recognize the person who posted it and a lot stupider shit gets posted here every day, I'm not entirely sure why I would.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2015, 22:16 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:08:
Really? You don't like Whedon's film?

I didn't care for it, but I wouldn't call it terrible either. I mostly just hate the Whedonisms that require every conversation to either end with a wink and a nod or a punchline.

As for the lineup, I think it's fine. Hawkeye and Black Widow, like them or not, are staple Avengers; BW works much better now than in the Avengers because The Winter Soldier was as much her movie as Cap's. Hawkeye is still goddamn useless and I think Renner sucks, but this stays true to the character in the comics who I also think is useless and sucks.

I'd have liked to see some of the other Avengers, or elements of the Mighty and New Avengers, but they're meant for other movies I suppose. Luke Cage would be cool, and Captain/Ms. Marvel would be nice.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 4, 2015, 22:04 PropheT

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 21:24:
So let me get this straight. A self-made woman who managed to fight hard and get herself elected and appointed to high political office based entirely on her accomplishments, with no outside help, turns out to also be a whiz with computer engineering - running her own private email system! - and the right-wing media like AP is -punishing- her for that?

It just goes to show what kind of misogyny women with tech interests have to put up with.

Err, what? It's a problem is because it's illegal to use private mail accounts for government business since records aren't maintained as necessary to meet the requirements of the laws that require retention of that data for government transparency reasons. There's no punishing someone for being smart, or any misogyny (fucking really? REALLY?)... I don't care what side of the party line you sit on, that's just plain pants on head crazy.

It's being brought up because Sarah Palin got lambasted and skewered for using her Yahoo address a few years back for official use, and there's nothing the jackholes in government like better than to turn a party's crusade against it later on down the road... and let's face it, they've been looking for something to slow down Clinton for years now.

Is it really as big of a deal as it's being made out to be? Probably not. Is it attacking her for being a woman or techie (as if she configured it all herself in the first place)? No, because like it or not the law's there for a reason.

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
25. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 21:08 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 18:17:
How much gold can the average player reasonably farm in a month? I can't see them accepting anything less than that, so I doubt this system will work that well. Even for Chinese gold mills buying these you'd expect any profit would be razor thin.

If I focused just on making money I could do 3-4k a day without even really trying all that hard, so if the market is cornered by those with a more hardcore bent I'd say the price is likely to be fairly ridiculous. Boring as hell to do that, though, so I sure wouldn't want to maintain that play style for long.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 11:19:
I just think it's funny how big of a thing this turned into. Jesus people, nothing better to do?

I don't!

Wait...shit, I don't

It looks white and gold to me. It's weird how big this got (it was even on the local news today), but it is kind of fascinating in a way.

2295 Comments. 115 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo