Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Troy C.

Real Name Troy C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PropheT
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2000, 22:20
Total Comments 2115 (Senior)
User ID 6273

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
61. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:41 PropheT

Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:33:
How do you have a discussion on it, though? A woman says "as a woman, that makes me feel lesser." And men immediately say "you're wrong."

Most men don't look for a dialogue about sexism. Frankly, nearly every man fails to understand sexism. We have no frame of reference for it at all, like someone colorblind has no frame of reference for green.

You address actual existing issues instead of just throwing out a broad admonishment of an entire industry for being sexist by cherry picking anything you can possibly find, often with no context, to support it. If you don't, you get this:

New Statesman article on Sarkeesian where if you disagree with what she does, you're just stupid and don't understand what she's doing, hate women, or both (he alternates), and any criticism of it just enforces her point. THIS is the stuff people are mad about, because it's having an impact on gaming and the gaming community, and I'd challenge anyone to show me a positive impact that's come as a result.

Aseven's Brad Wardell link says it better than I can.

I'd also strongly disagree to the men not understanding sexism thing. You don't have to be a woman to understand sexism any more than you have to be black to understand racism. You don't have to be subject to the same prejudices to see them applied, or to experience a level of empathy with someone they're practiced on. I refuse to believe it because if only those people can ever truly understand those issues, then there's no hope for them ever being resolved.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 15:25 PropheT

Jensen wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 02:58:
Ar you talking about Internet Aristocrat and thunderf00t and the millions of views they've gotten from this uproar? (how much did they get from the ads I watched before their videos?)

I'm not even sure what or who that is, so no. All I know is that there seems to be a pretty steady cycle of this where she or someone she seems to be closely associated with routinely uses examples like this to drum up support for their movement while their hands are outstretched looking for the next dollar.

It definitely happens, everyone remembers that the shit with Jade Raymond a few years back was nauseating, but she was doing her job and still is and is an important part of behind the scenes gaming production. Sarkeesian's only contribution are projects explicitly designed to show inequality, and she takes any hate or vitriol that heads her way and uses it as marketing to push a product that relies on it.

She counts on it, the gaming press has gone out of their way to oblige it, and it keeps gaining steam because anyone who disagrees is a misogynist bastard who thinks there's nothing wrong. There's no discussion actually there, no way to improve from that, and guys like Whedon giving her kudos and more press just seems like otherwise smart people suddenly deciding that Ann Coulter is a leading voice on political discourse.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 28, 2014, 12:35 PropheT

Price drop to $350 for the standalone console at the same time, maybe?  

13. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 02:14 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 22:05:
An imperfectly communicated message doesn't mean that message is without merit. It's something that has a long way to go before it's solved. Only through continuous awareness do such things happen.

Alright, so what would be the point where you think this would stop, where people would decide that gaming has improved and is no longer misogynistic? What would need to happen?

Save The Boob Plate is a damn good article about it, by one of the guys who helped make Divinity: Original Sin, and it covers this whole crusade pretty well.

The answer to the original question is kind of a trick one, though; nothing -can- happen that's going to appease people like Sarkeesian. She's not looking to make anything equal, or to even really address the issue...she stirs the pot because that's her bread and butter, it's what makes her famous.

Joss Whedon apparently doesn't realize that half the shit she rants about could just as well be targeted at the female characters he's famous for, because they'd fit right in to practically any video game out there and she's targeted things exactly like the work he's done for years.

Even if you do believe there's a real problem that needs to be taken care of immediately, it's not the Anita Sarkeesians or Zoe Quinns or however many of these other people who are popular in gaming right now because of this sort of stuff that gaming actually needs to improve or grow. They don't help things at all. Gaming and the writing around it really, really doesn't need any more professional victims pissing up the place and the people just cloud the issues and make things worse, force people to be treated as if they've picked sides, and otherwise shit on everything because the popularity that comes with it has been working for them.

I don't care what your opinion is on women in video games, but you have got to wonder why the people who have been loudest about all of this has always been the people with the most to gain by having the uproar. Some people are using it for their own popularity, or to sell their books, or games, or kickstarter projects, and others have been using it to generate hits for their "journalism" instead. When it actually comes down to fixing anything in games, the best thing anyone can ever come up with is that "well, uh, I guess we could get mad at booby plate and saving princesses."

/edit:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 01:52:
Is there a opt-out button for these stories? ^^ This is not gaming news. Like REALLY, it is not. This is politics, and politics have fuck all to do with gaming

It is, though. See the link I posted above (even if you aren't interested in my rambling nonsense); this stuff is affecting game development and how they deal with the press and gamers in the process.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
29. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 27, 2014, 20:36 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:07:
I don't know about the latter part of your statement, it might very well be true, but I have to say that I was very skeptical of ME3's MP and found it surprisingly fun.

I'm definitely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because of this. My first reaction is that MP is pretty unnecessary, and maybe it is, but I was negative about the MP for ME3 and I wound up playing that way more than I would have ever expected to.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
18. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 23:10 PropheT

Endo wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 23:06:
And considering how many of EA's games are just rehashed crap of which 90% came from the previous game in the series, I don't think you can make a good case for their games to require high development costs, especially with a game like Madden.

I'd guess that a large portion of the costs for Madden go into licensing fees for the NFLPA and NFL; developments costs don't necessarily need to be high for those games to still have a high production cost, especially since the NFL is one of the only organizations better at wringing nickels out of people's pockets than EA.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
16. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 23:03 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 22:43:
Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 21:04:
Outside of, arguably, Fallout 3, I haven't played a single game that's been gimped.

That... that's your one shining example? Fallout 3??

Yeah, not understanding that one either. The ending was fixed by DLC, but the game still wasn't gimped without it in any way since there was hundreds of hours worth of content and the choice to not even really bother with the main story in the first place.

Plants vs. Zombies 2, EA gimped in favor of DLC (at least according to my wife, I haven't played it). That's arguably a tablet-primary game, though, and that sort of stuff is the norm on mobile devices in a way that I don't think has been matched with any full release. Some have had mind-boggling levels of DLC available, like Gears of War 3, but that game wasn't gimped for lacking it if you didn't want it.

/edit since it popped up after I posted:

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 23:00:
Wait, what do you think I'm arguing?
Do you think I'm using Fallout 3 as an example that we have nothing to worry about or Fallout 3 as an example of how DLC can go wrong?

I think it was just disagreement that Fallout 3 was a gimped game prior to DLC being released.

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 Now Live
14. Re: Diablo III 2.1.0 Now Live Aug 26, 2014, 22:57 PropheT

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 22:38:
It's not them, it's those DDoS asshats. It had been smooth as silk all day long since the servers came back up from maintenance, then suddenly community services went down, party matchmaking went haywire, and then my game was terminated. Entire B.net is offline.

Getting sick of these assholes doing this, it has been a problem on and off since the weekend trying to play WoW as well. My son got knocked off of League and couldn't reconnect, and went to play something else and then that got DDoS'd on Sunday...just infuriating, the idiots doing it seriously need some ball-peen hammer dentistry.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls II: Crown of the Old Iron King
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls II: Crown of the Old Iron King Aug 26, 2014, 16:58 PropheT

Bundy wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:08:
Might have to give this another try. Every couple of weeks I give it another attempt. I must be missing something cause I just don't see what all the hype is about. I've yet to find the fun.

Try Demon's Souls or Dark Souls first if you can. I loved those two, but just never was able to get into DS2.

Take it slow, explore freely and don't spoil anything before you go through, and treat everything like it can kill you since it can.

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
10. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 17:46 PropheT

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 17:41:
I guess it would augment their modestly growing video game development initiative?

They sell games, and this is probably one of the best advertising methods for video games out there right now while still having decent growth opportunity.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 22:34 PropheT

The only things I've seen out of this whole scandal is that video game journalism isn't particularly trustworthy, which we already knew, Phil Fish is an absolute cock who I probably wouldn't even know about if it wasn't for his diarrhea-esque twitter account, and that the "SJW" members of the gaming press have finally hit the point where they can't even comment on one of the biggest stories around right now because they've spent so much of their time stirring the pot to create the environment that this spawned from.

The journalists look bad, the gamers look bad, and it all just seems like a bunch of dirty laundry being aired to give people something else to be angry about for a while with no solid facts and no possible positive outcome to ever be generated from it...over a game that next to no one actually gives two shits about and most people never heard of before the scandal.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 21, 2014, 19:35 PropheT

Ceribaen wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 19:18:
Playing it on PS3 just really had me thinking there's nothing new or exciting here that Defiance or Planetside hasn't already done? That and it reminded me of why I hate playing shooters on a console.

Is there anything in the PS4 version that isn't included in the PS3 version?

I don't think so, but I've only played it on the PS4 version; just different graphical capabilities as far as I know.

I loved Destiny in the beta, so I'm really excited about it coming out soon... I'm not sure I'd compare it to Planetside or Defiance, though, so maybe it's a play style thing. It felt more like a Fallout/Metro kind of experience to me, with the exploration and RPG aspects being what I enjoyed about it, and the multiplayer/competitive aspects were kind of an afterthought. It was a new experience, in my opinion at least, since it's hard to even compare it to anything directly.

/edited for clarity.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus
4. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus Aug 20, 2014, 22:14 PropheT

Really looking forward to this one. Going to be a busy fall for games this year...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2014, 13:02 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:55:
In fact, perhaps it's the network carrying the game that should consider throwing some money up for the halftime show.

I think they already do, since the cost of the broadcasting contract the networks pay to carry the Super Bowl is already astronomical. It'd be kind of a strange oversight if the expectation of providing a half-time show wasn't part of that. The city that hosts the game pays for that, the network pays to broadcast it, they aren't paying the performers as it is, and they want even more money out of the deal because the NFL's doing them all a big favor just by being there I guess.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 21:24 PropheT

Aero wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 20:59:
On the other hand, the most fun I've ever had playing a golf game was 4-player Mario Golf on the N64, so I'm not exactly an afficianado.

I like the arcade golf games like Hot Shots and Mario Golf a lot, but they do have pretty sound mechanics despite being pretty different from sim-style games.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 18:21 PropheT

Anybody playing this to say if it's any good? I always liked the Links games on PC years ago, but kind of quit playing anything like them after the genre dried up and was replaced by the Tiger Woods games.  

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor in November
11. Re: Warlords of Draenor in November Aug 14, 2014, 23:48 PropheT

nin wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 22:04:
Graham wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 21:59:
garrywong wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 21:42:
Wait, what? That's not what happened...

It is now. Welcome to time travel, now with more Orcs and fewer Libyans.

"Great Scott!"

"This... was not our density!"

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 14, 2014, 21:59 PropheT

Penny Dreadful being pirated everywhere seems to make sense since it's kind of a pain in the ass to get legally. Game of Thrones used to be easier to get illegally than legally too, even though I have HBO and supposedly HBO Go, but they've done a decent job of fixing that this last season or so.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2014, 13:30 PropheT

Ratty wrote on Aug 14, 2014, 11:01:
I love the beard, and I love the look. He really pulls off the respected elder Jedi look in that shot. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him in the movie.

I'm not really keen on the idea of having the old characters in the new films at all, but he definitely looks the part with the beard. He's the one I'm least worried about in the new movies, really, since he's never really NOT been Luke Skywalker and still looks like him.

News Comments > Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date
11. Re: Warlords of Drednor Livestream to Reveal Date Aug 14, 2014, 13:19 PropheT

November 13th... was hoping for a little sooner, but that'll do.  

2115 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo