Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4135 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
33. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 13:28 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:09:
Obviously I see the differences between Arma3 and WarZ, but I still would much rather Steam not allow Alphas on there.

BIS is being genuine and upfront about things, but now we're setting precedents for Alphas on Steam, and soon a less ethical dev will try to fuck people over again.

Creston

I don't mind being able to sample a game early and even assist in making the game better, nice pre-order bonus and you can still judge if you want to get involved with the game at a number of different levels before spending any money. Watch streams of people playing the game, youtube videos of actual gameplay, and there will be plenty of free invites to the alpha minus multiplayer gameplay.

Natural Selection 2 was also done this way as well, minus the ability to sample before purchase bit.

EA on the other hand, pre-order this other game and get early access to the beta of BF4 (or whatever) is just underhanded marketing crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes & Generals Open Beta
9. Re: Heroes & Generals Open Beta Mar 1, 2013, 14:46 DangerDog

Played the closed beta and couldn't get into it, the game uses an in-browser type game engine which at the time you couldn't tell it where you wanted to install - it just plopped it on your System drive though there was some sort of workaround to move the files if you wanted.

It was basically conquest mode from battlefield but the player movement and shooting just felt really clunky. It's been awhile but I think they had limits on what class you could pick sort of like Red Orchestra. Good luck going up against a sniper when all you have is some slow to aim enfield with iron sights.

The scope is just too big and at the end of the day you'll end up with a server population equivilant to Red Orchestra 2 - couple of hundred people.

News Comments > Star Wars: 1313 on Hold?
8. Re: Star Wars: 1313 on Hold? Feb 28, 2013, 23:31 DangerDog

I think their "game play" trailer rendered them out of what can be pulled off with current gen consoles.

This is going to be Aliens:Colonial Marines part II

News Comments > The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End
14. Re: The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End Feb 27, 2013, 01:57 DangerDog

Now about that Aliens Colonial Marines game...

yeah, it's a Steamworks title.

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=49540

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Next Week
19. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 27, 2013, 01:37 DangerDog

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 23:50:
Thanks for that link DangerDog, looks much better than I had hoped, I'm interested now.

edit: I'm thinking the deluxe or supporter edition but I don't like the fact that they are saying there may not even be any DLC or add-ons while they're pitching it as a bonus for buying their support edition. But if you look at all the add-ons for ArmA 2 they had much more than the original game and it looks as if they may have finally made it a lot less clunky. Not to mention DayZ (the stand alone) is probably going to release on the new engine.

There were two DLC add-ons (PMC and British armed forces) for Arma 2 and one stand alone expansion (operation arrowhead). They've said that DayZ is going to be using an improved version of Arma 2 engine and not Arma 3 - maybe that will change but I doubt it.

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Next Week
13. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 26, 2013, 22:55 DangerDog

Even if it's just a slight update to Arma II it'll be good enough for me, no more clunky reloading animations and the underwater aspect looks pretty cool.

It looked good at last years E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3-WYswokoU&feature=player_embedded

News Comments > More Borderlands 2 DLC
31. Re: More Borderlands 2 DLC Feb 26, 2013, 15:38 DangerDog

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:36:
It's a good thing Gearbox stole art assets to help make such a successful game for Randy to hide behind.

That was an interesting read, Gearbox gave up their hand when they approached him but then hung up the phone. I knew about the poster design embellishment, how lame do you have to be to copy another style, and rip actual images from it too - the stream like clouds from the Empire poster.

Gearbox is probably hard at work sifting through deviantart for what they can rip off next.

News Comments > More Borderlands 2 DLC
29. Re: More Borderlands 2 DLC Feb 26, 2013, 14:58 DangerDog

Alamar wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:39:
nin wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:34:
Shataan wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 10:26:
Shouldn`t that read.... Randy "Ego-Maniac" Pitchford? Or Randy "Stupid is as Stupid does" Pitchford? Both work. ;p

"No one likes to be called a liar, especially if their intent was pure and they always spoke the truth when they spoke it."

He's PURE! And he speaks the truth when he speaks it (whatever the fuck that means).

You really don't know what that means?

Let's use Blizzard as an example... A Blizzard 'blue' says 'we would like to have feature YYY'... Feature YYY never happens... Fan(atic)s say 'Liars!!! You promised us feature YYY!!!'...

-Alamar

You haven't been keeping up with current events pal.

He's not being called out for a pseudo promised feature not being in the game, it's the "100% in game footage" claim that's the big lie, and I'm not just talking about the e3 demo. There's official advertisement trailers that make the same claim well beyond any reasonable time between thinking or hoping the game would look like that e3 demo and knowing flat out that was never going to happen.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem
17. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem Feb 25, 2013, 16:23 DangerDog

The only lesson that Gearbox/Randy Pitchford will take away from this mess is don't show any gameplay at E3 that's completely fictitious, or otherwise just use a disclaimer that the footage may not represent final product - like all other developers plaster on their advertisements/e3 demos.

The thing that got people raising up their pitchforks for Pitchfords head is the "100% in game footage" labeling right on through to official advertisements made for the game - well beyond that e3 demo.

dumpy wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 16:19:
I'm glad I didn't buy it, but I am curious how many people here commenting have actually played it?

I played it, and while it wasn't anywhere as cool as the infamous e3 demo it still wasn't a completely terrible game, I mostly just geeked out on the nostalgia factor - sights, sounds, and music. I also only paid $30 for it so I'm not as butthurt as the people who paid $50 or $60 for it.

Many people were able to get refunds from various places.

Now the people who purchased the season pass, they're pretty much screwed as it seems to be mostly multiplayer focused add-on content.

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=49540

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2013, 16:29.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem
5. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Postmortem Feb 25, 2013, 15:45 DangerDog

Too many chefs, check

Unified game development targeting lowest platform (PS3), check

Fake E3 demo made on high performance PC, check

It still doesn't get Gearbox off the hook and especially not Randy for being so dismissive and flat out lying his ass off. If I were on a jury I would award compensation to SEGA, poor management decisions on the design or not the quality of the game Gearbox sold them was completely inferior.

News Comments > Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced
10. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 20:24 DangerDog

about damn time, I loved flat out 2.

I really hope that video means they'll be doing soft body physic simulation and that if it's going to be on consoles it's 100% next gen.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks
2. Re: BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks Feb 22, 2013, 18:05 DangerDog

I really despise this new "gaming" of pre-order perks.  

News Comments > Arma III Steam Exclusive
18. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 19:50 DangerDog

I think they need Steamworks for the server browser more than the DRM. In the past BiS has been very generous in removing the disc based protection from Arma games.

16. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 18:34 DangerDog

kyleb wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 18:03:
Dev wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:01:
they should have a huge pile of cash from all the ARMA 2 sales
Sure, but I'll bet it pales in comparison to what they make off their Virtual Battlespace products. Our governments love to dump buckets of cash on such things.

But it's made by a different company altogether, well separate from BiS. I don't think that carrier command game did so well for them either.

News Comments > DayZ Mod on Steam
18. Re: DayZ Mod on Steam Feb 21, 2013, 18:02 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 13:49:
Hasn't this mod pretty much run its course? Are people still playing it?

still some servers running it but the new kid on the block is called "Wasteland"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFSQSgfXH3M

12. Re: Arma III Steam Exclusive Feb 21, 2013, 17:55 DangerDog

Sir Graves wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 17:34:
Boy, would an initial release date be nice. Even a rough guesstimate.

Are we, like, only a matter of a few weeks or month or so away, or will we still be waiting come May or June or beyond? Just cannot wait to play this and the curiosity's killing me and my gaming buds!

Last I read

They implemented PhysX 3.0 in Arma 3 only after having worked on getting PhysX 2.0 in the game, everything needed to be redone. The two imprisoned BiS devs were working on making Arma 3, probably caused a bit of a delay too.

There was suppose to be a release of a "community alpha" many months ago but the decision to switch to PhysX 3 was the reason given for the delay. A hint at a release date for this would be nice, maybe sometime this summer?

I think DayZ standalone took high priority over Arma 3 and it's still not out yet despite being hopeful about releasing it before the end of 2012.

I'm not expecting this to be released till very near the end of 2013.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
31. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 20, 2013, 21:19 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 21:05:
Ray Marden wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:56:
I saw nothing exciting today

8 Gig's alone means larger levels for us pc users, less loads... We've been bottle-necked/held back with 1/2 gig ram systems.

Not for your standard first person shooter, production costs are going to go sky high with the level of detail you'll need to put into a game.

I would also expect $70 price for games that can't be traded in/purchased used.

I saw a lot of the usual "this is what we hope our game plays like" rendered videos, nothing on the magnitude of a Randy Pitchford e3 presentation but still a lot of B.S.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 20, 2013, 02:39 DangerDog

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 01:04:
Yeah, seems you really shouldn't even bother with this unless you're aching for more Crysis multiplayer... At least not until it's cheaper than dirt.

They haven't unleashed the DLC bomb for the game yet but you can count on it happening, that'll put multiplayer out of commission completely.

The only sandbox element to the game is if they release the editor for it, there was a post on the mycrisis forums saying that they might release it after the DLC comes out.

not my screenshot but...

[url=http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1117161796199045799/1371999A27561734CCEFA3E4AAA5CBCF6E1C285A/]

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 19, 2013, 20:15 DangerDog

Singleplayer campaign is short, five or six hours some probably longer if you stop to look at every nut and bolt in the game.

Despite the fact that Crytek put in a hard coded graphics card DX11 check you can disable all the features that DX11 brings - and it seems most people are if for no other reason to make the game look better by turning off post processing fx, if it weren't for that stupid check I would have bought the game.

I'm not on the warpath for a new graphics card just yet.

edit: yep, final code of the game. seems that another complaint is the number of night/dark maps outnumber the daylight ones. perhaps they did that to conceal the rough edges when played on consoles.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 19, 2013, 19:42 DangerDog

Maybe it's just that first person shooters don't really have that deep of a toolbox when it comes to things you can have the player do besides shoot stuff but it's getting a little silly with the switch flipping and find the recorded message bit.

I watched some twitch.tv of the single player and while it looks impressive the gameplay just seems a bit flat, part of the problem is the way the nano-suit lets you easily defeat the AI. The enemy soldiers just seem like crash test dummies that are there for you to shoot at, moving targets barking meaningless orders.

I did think it was funny that they put wildlife in the game but when you kill any animal it has no rag-doll effect, just falls over to the right side - deer to squirrels just fall over like a statue made of stone. I did see an enemy AI try to walk through a shipping container, overall though nothing like Aliens:CM goofy AI.

really good looking demo for CryEngine 3 though.

4135 Comments. 207 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo