Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4468 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
58. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:34 DangerDog

Rigs wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:26:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:16:
Funny that you could never find a pirated copy of the alpha or beta anywhere.

There's only ONE way you could've known that and that's by looking yourself. But, yes, you are correct, there are no E:D torrents that I'm aware of and, yes, I've looked - A LOT...

=-Rigs-=

Devilish what? huh? I don't know what you're talking about.

They do have a few "offline" training missions but I guess that wasn't enough content to spend any time trying to crack the account authentication procedure.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:16 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:00:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:46:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:14:
Welp, they just lost my money. A shame, too. I was really looking forward to this.

Come on, for real? Having it be completely off-line is that big of a deal?

Yup.
1. I am often places where there is no internet connection when I play due to work.

2. I rarely play online games. I'm pretty much an SP player and have no desire to play with strangers.

We all know it's because they don't want to have their game pirated, any other excuse doesn't float because they managed to make Elite work on much less hardware in the 80's. They don't have a rich enough online tapestry to draw people into buying the game for that "whole experience".
It appears that while "protecting" themselves from lost sales due to piracy, they'll also lose sales due to this decision.

People are perfectly okay with Steam DRM but come out screaming with pitchforks when anyone else implements it.
Steam has an offline mode idiot. I can go months without connecting, and have.

Requiring an internet connection is the least of your problems if you can't afford the hardware needed to get the full experience - high end graphics card, joystick and throttle setup, head tracking device (TrackIR or FreeTrack) or a Rift VR headset even.
I have $2000 worth of hardware and a HOTAS, and will be getting OR CV1 upon it's debut. It's not a question of money. It's a question of preference.

You can still play solo mode, you obviously have an internet connection which invalidates your reason for not getting the game.

You can't tell me that you're hauling around $2000 worth of gear to play games offline, where on the planet are you going where you don't have access to internet if you have access to power?

Look, I'm not saying this "news" doesn't slot into the category of "well that sucks" but lets just be honest about what they're wanting to prevent here. Funny that you could never find a pirated copy of the alpha or beta anywhere.

16. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:46 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:14:
Welp, they just lost my money. A shame, too. I was really looking forward to this.

Come on, for real? Having it be completely off-line is that big of a deal?

We all know it's because they don't want to have their game pirated, any other excuse doesn't float because they managed to make Elite work on much less hardware in the 80's. They don't have a rich enough online tapestry to draw people into buying the game for that "whole experience".

Unless they're holding back on something it's not going to be deep enough for most people today - the sandbox design is perhaps a bit dated, there's no campaign story to play - it's just you, a ship and some starter credits. The only story is the one of your experience doing stuff in the game, some argue that there's not enough "stuff" in the game. I'm not aware of any achievement type activities other than working up your status to become "Elite Dangerous". It's also not a pvp game either, there's a small amount of co-op capability.

This is an extremely niche market and will never amount to big money for them - they're not micro-transactioning people to death, you can't even buy ships with real money like you do with Star Citizen.

People are perfectly okay with Steam DRM but come out screaming with pitchforks when anyone else implements it.

I do agree that anyone who purchased or backed the game up to this point deserves a refund option if it's somehow means they can't play the game, however this doesn't mean that the game isn't worth buying and playing if you're a fan of the original Elite in any way. You can still play "solo" mode if you don't want to deal with other people in your game.

Requiring an internet connection is the least of your problems if you can't afford the hardware needed to get the full experience - high end graphics card, joystick and throttle setup, head tracking device (TrackIR or FreeTrack) or a Rift VR headset even.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
5. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 20:24 DangerDog

The only one I ever finished was Rocket Ranger on the Amiga.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
3. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 19:51 DangerDog

hmm no three stooges?  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk
16. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 10, 2014, 04:40 DangerDog

I played the exo suit survivor mode all day then found out that in order to unlock the zombie level you need to progress through "tiered maps" and as far as I can tell you can't do that by playing online using matchmaking.

10. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 9, 2014, 17:07 DangerDog

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I haven't had it stop mid match like it did in MW2 when the host dropped out.

I have ports 27000-27050 forwarding and my nat type says open but I'm not sure if that's all I need to do.

8. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 9, 2014, 16:13 DangerDog

I haven't seen any "host migration" messages or had a match pause while a new host was found. The main problem is they have 800ms as acceptable for matching up players, dedicated servers with a server browser wouldn't work for this game. You join a game and when one side gets beat down half or more leave and then you would be forced to leave that server and look for another. This system fills in the empty slots automatically.

The days of having 32 player matches in a CoD game are never coming back.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2014, 13:21 DangerDog

They'll most likely drag out the process of becoming the six #illion dollar man and skip over any real usage of his cybernetic powers.

Unless this turns out to be another comedy spoof on 70's TV shows I think it's story has already been overshadowed by other movies like Robocop

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
52. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:11 DangerDog

Everyone knows the real reason to be upset about it disappearing from Steam.

No chance of it being on a Steam sale-athon.

News Comments > The Witcher III Free DLC Plans
8. Re: The Witcher III Free DLC Plans Nov 6, 2014, 14:29 DangerDog

All these games coming out next year, xmas seems like a wasteland for new releases.

I wonder what's up with their Cyberpunk game.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
14. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 14:27 DangerDog

Is this locked to 30fps or is that just on consoles?  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Polish Plans
13. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Polish Plans Nov 5, 2014, 14:17 DangerDog

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 13:00:
0) Dedicated servers

?

Coming soon, as in next years COD will have them.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
38. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 16:39 DangerDog

30fps at 1080p on the low spec pc based "Next Gen" consoles gives me hope that I'll get 60fps on the PC.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
12. Re: Grand Theft Auto V First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 15:04 DangerDog

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:24:
Damn that looks friken sweet. Guess I'm jumping to the next gen in a couple of weeks. Also you know what this means for the PC right? Oculus Rift!

Dang nabbit, that's exactly why they're delaying the PC version, to get people like you to go next gen console.

This is a funny comment

I think the main question is...Still in first person when you pick up a prostitute?

will there be any FOV adjustment for the PC? 3000 weapon animations and I bet they're all designed for 65 FOV.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
57. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 02:46 DangerDog

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 19:54:
Game is pretty decent.

Pros:
+FOV settings (see Con of same item)
+Colorblind mode
+Very tight gameplay
+Levels are now truly 3D - the double jump stuff is a huge gamechanger
+Can turn in gear for XP (gear is all cosmetic)
+Can turn in weapons for XP (some have buffs, aim, dmg, movement speed)

Cons:
-FOV settings - the higher it is the more "floaty" the game feels - very odd
-Very small maps
-Menu doesn't show how many people in each game like BLOPS2 did so you might sit there forever waiting
-When you get close to a ledge, you amble up it, or catch yourself, but this can be turned off, kind of jerky, hard to describe
-Can get around the small maps way to fast (not only can you double jump, but if you hit space while in the air, even after a double, you zoom forward through the air.
-Battlepacks is best way to describe the drops, but some are timed 30 minutes (hat, jacket, shirt, etc)

Also, Early Access 24 hour is a flop. No double XP as promised.

Quick n dirty, there ya go. I still say it brings something new and I give it a revised 8.5/10, down from 9 because of the graphical problems I am having that I shouldn't. Happy with my purchase.

Missed one HUGE MASSIVE CON, No dedicated servers.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Documentary
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 21:20 DangerDog

Bundy wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:27:
Tom wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:01:
There really is a lot to like about this game. The feeling of flight is fantastic. I just hope they can work out the bugs. Sticking to a 2014 release date seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA given its current state, but oh well, if they keep working hard post-release to fix not only systems bugs but also gameplay, it might work out ok.

I've played many hours of this, first with TrackIR, then with the Oculus Rift DK2. Some sort of headtracking is pretty much mandatory if you want the full experience. TrackIR and the Rift each have their pros and cons right now, but overall the Rift is so much cooler to use. You feel like you're in that ship. Once the Rift has better resolution and the game supports it fully (e.g. mouse in the galaxy map) it will absolutely bury TrackIR. Already I don't use TrackIR anymore unless I'm learning a new aircraft in DCS and need a clearer picture of controls I haven't memorized yet without having to jam my head against the instrument panel.

As for VoiceAttack ... hah! What a gimmick. Pretty much every commonly used command (and some uncommon ones) should be available for instant access via your HOTAS, a far quicker and more reliable means of controlling your ship. The beginning of their first demo video (I didn't watch the rest) is truly laughable to any experienced Elite: Dangerous player. That said, there are a few non-time-critical things that could maybe be useful as voice input if you want to forgo some of the control and immersion of using the ship's UI for the sake of convenience, like "Request docking" to execute a macro that takes care of a whole sequence of commands needed to do that.

I've never understood how this works, maybe u can explain it to me. What exactly does TrackIR do in this game? I assumed that using the Oculus alone would be enough for head tracking and accessing your left and right menu's.

Slight movements to your head translate to changing your view, you set up how far your view translates based on your head movement so you don't need to twist you neck or end up looking out the corner of your eye at the screen. The coolest use in this game besides being able to track targets better is looking to either the left or right to access the ships command terminals.

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 19:14 DangerDog

They had rift support before the facebook deal went through.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 15:55 DangerDog

Some are saying it's player hosted without instanced servers, I haven't seen host migration message come up yet.

They're extremely vague about answering the question when asked.

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 15:49 DangerDog

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 09:50:
Try this link: http://youtu.be/v7jP2drkUXE

Really shows off how cool head tracking is in the game, maybe not a check box requirement but it adds so much immersion and sense of physical presence to being in the cockpit.

I have to applaud the art design for not going full throttle on trying to emulate the latest sci-fi cinematography tripe like blinding lights shining into your eyes and excessive lens flare - yes I'm talking about you Star Citizen.

4468 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo