Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4471 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 22, 2014, 02:26 DangerDog

Good news, they reopened that thread.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 21, 2014, 21:56 DangerDog

are we heading for another "Atari" sized console market implosion?  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 21, 2014, 21:53 DangerDog

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 DangerDog

I've read that google is going to do the same thing with youtube, pay to not see ads.

seems like all they need to do is flip a switch to detect that you're using ad block and "block" you if you are.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2 Nov 21, 2014, 11:02 DangerDog

I see there's no additional licensing fees for selling apps but can you release ad supported apps with this?  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Crash Workaround Nov 21, 2014, 10:43 DangerDog

This game is a train wreck  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
122. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:10 DangerDog

WaltC wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 17:05:
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 12:39:
PunkiBastardo wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:53:
Even though I don't like these offline-scraping news, at this point they've put themselves against a wall. They can't really refund the people who have played already or massive amounts of customers are just gonna ask for a refund to their overpriced alpha/beta purchase and get the much cheaper release version in a few weeks.

That's actually a very good point.

Not really...in that case, the refund people *should* be the price of the "much cheaper release version" purported to be released in a few weeks. That's it. That way they've paid for the *beta* software they've played and not for the final release software they have yet to receive. That would be the way to handle it: partial refunds for those who have paid & played but are disappointed in the no off-line mode, out-of-the-blue unpleasant surprise. Seems 100% fair. Those who don't care about off-line won't care about the partial refund.

IMO, the whole thing about "no offline mode" is just plain silly. When you add to the online mode, you simply add what of that that you can to the offline mode and make it available as an off-line-mode only patch. What's the big deal? You are going to make it available online, so you have the data, so just put it into a patch. They know it is possible else they'd never have mentioned it from day one. On-line things that are are *only possible online* won't be available offline--but nobody who is playing the game off-line will expect them to be, will they? OF COURSE the online game will be somewhat different from the offline game--they always are! Red herring Alert!

This sounds like much more worry about online DRM than it is about technical feasibility.

They're using the "cloud" argument, in that they need the power of the "cloud" to make the game function - or at least work in the way they envisioned it.

121. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 17:07 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:49:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:22:
Where is the internet petition brigade when you need them?

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:21:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:33:
I just don't believe all these sob stories about not being able to play the game with the online requirement.

Because everyone is online all the time, right Adam?

You're probably using up more bandwidth posting on blues news than you would playing Elite Dangerous solo mode.

It's not bandwidth. It's availability. I have a solid connection here at work (obviously), and can jump on Blues 5m here and there to read up on stuff and post, but I can't play E:D at work can I? Then when I go home to my intermittent connection, or I'm on the road staying at a hotel with little or no connectivity, and I can't play, I'm screwed.

I'm far too addicted to the internet to live where I can't have a decent connection, in fact I did move to get away from dial up many years ago. I only see things getting worse not better for the internet, in the US anyway. South Korea is looking better and better all the time.

105. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 16:22 DangerDog

Where is the internet petition brigade when you need them?

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 16:21:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:33:
I just don't believe all these sob stories about not being able to play the game with the online requirement.

Because everyone is online all the time, right Adam?

You're probably using up more bandwidth posting on blues news than you would playing Elite Dangerous solo mode.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2014, 16:32.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's "Biggest Entertainment Launch"; Series Tops $10B
20. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's Nov 20, 2014, 15:15 DangerDog

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 09:38:
hahahahaah PR machien go! Notice they didn't mention any video games. I don't think this game sold as well as any of their previous titles. The Guitar Hero effect is kicking in.

I assume the apex of the series was probably Modern Warfare 2, but even if it's flat lined - that one hell of a flat line.

81. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 15:10 DangerDog

gilly775 wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:51:
Flatline wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:42:
Prez wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:16:
I think the refunds should be offered to everyone, not just people who haven't played yet. They failed to deliver on what I understand is a promised feature, and that means the ethical thing to do would be to offer everyone who wants one a refund. I played Planetary Annhilation online when it was Early Access because it was the opnly way to try out the game so I could give my feedback, but the only reason I backed it was because of the promised offline mode. I assume that would be the case with some people who were in the Beta. They are burning up a lot of their trust with gamers.

I kind of feel that kickstarters should get a refund opportunity period, since beta was free.

But if you paid a premium for the beta, which I did, that was to participate in the beta process. Even if the end product isn't something that meets it's promises, you got your beta money's worth and there's no reason why you should get that refunded.

I didn't hear about the KS until when the beta released, so when I read that the KS promised offline mode, I paid in for the PB. I bought the game mainly for offline mode since where I live in the sticks, I barely have a solid connection most of the time with the local ISP. So, yeah, I feel I was lied to knowing an offline mode was promised.

Also, I have no played the game since the end of May. One other time I tried, my inet connection went down and other, offline games took over from there. I was holding out for that offline mode to pick it up again.

I feel for you, I used to live in the sticks and the internet options sucks. But you really shouldn't have bought into a game, especially for a "premium online beta" which was intended to test "online" functionality of the game. It sounds like you can still play solo online if the 10kbps requirement holds true.

77. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:56 DangerDog

Flatline wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:42:
Prez wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:16:
I think the refunds should be offered to everyone, not just people who haven't played yet. They failed to deliver on what I understand is a promised feature, and that means the ethical thing to do would be to offer everyone who wants one a refund. I played Planetary Annhilation online when it was Early Access because it was the opnly way to try out the game so I could give my feedback, but the only reason I backed it was because of the promised offline mode. I assume that would be the case with some people who were in the Beta. They are burning up a lot of their trust with gamers.

I kind of feel that kickstarters should get a refund opportunity period, since beta was free.

But if you paid a premium for the beta, which I did, that was to participate in the beta process. Even if the end product isn't something that meets it's promises, you got your beta money's worth and there's no reason why you should get that refunded.

Only to those who backed it at the 50 or above level, otherwise you had to buy in to the alpha or beta separate. You have to go up to the 90 backers before you see the "DRM Free" version listed as one of the perks, so really only at that level and above are allowed to whine about it.

66. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:33 DangerDog

I just don't believe all these sob stories about not being able to play the game with the online requirement. It feels like a bunch of people that are having "buyers regret" over spending so much money on the alpha version of the game which if you did so it's because of you being inpatient. You played the alpha/beta online so your argument for needing offline is null and void - even if you can't play the game all the time you at least have proved that you can play it with the online requirement.

Now, if you were a backer and never bought into the alpha/beta I would slot you into the "pre-order" category which is entitled to a refund. I imagine though that represents a very small percent of their customers, most who backed probably bought in at the alpha or beta stages.

I still think the decision was to stop piracy, and also there is a section in the EULA that mentions the possibility for in game advertisement.

https://store.elitedangerous.com/ed-eula/

section 8.

The Game may incorporate technology (which may be provided by Frontier or third party service providers engaged by Frontier (each a "Dynamic Advertising Provider")) which enables advertising to be uploaded into the Game on your PC, and changed while the Game is being played on-line. ...

Of course the game will benefit slightly from not being as static as previous Elite games were but even if the "offline" game were just Elite II or whatever with this new engine many would have been fine with that I'm sure.

I backed it, bought the beta and I'm looking forward to seeing what else they have planned for the game post release. It's a very cool game and looks amazing. Also, there's no micro-transactions in game or out - you can buy "skins" for your ship from their online store but that's it. You're free to earn credits in game to buy and upgrade parts on your ship but not with real money, unlike what they're doing with Star Citizen. Speaking of which, the "offline" version of Star Citizen won't probably amount to more than a four hour linear game - they're focusing on the online experience too.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2014, 15:26 DangerDog

GTA V: Hot Espresso  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 19, 2014, 13:58 DangerDog

PHJF wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 12:15:
Controversial sex? What, like between a man and a horned owl?

Because that was completely consensual.

Including the axe to the head at the end of the session.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
17. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 17:56 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:18:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:06:
I don't think MS will allow their prized IP's to migrate from xbone to PC.

The vast majority of sales happen within the first month or two. Delay it until after that, and you can both use it as bait to sell Xbones, and make money from people like me who won't ever own an Xbone. Not doing so is leaving money on the table.

except MS uses their exclusive IP's to drum up sales for xboxes not the games themselves.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
12. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 16:06 DangerDog

I don't think MS will allow their prized IP's to migrate from xbone to PC.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 17, 2014, 10:50 DangerDog

Kajetan wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:42:
InBlack wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:16:
Chris Roberts is a smooth talker though so I don't expect any firebombs in there but Im actually eager to listen to whats said 'in-between the lines'.
Well ... errr ... *cough* just you know... there will be no SP game. Squadron 42 was cancelled last week, because our Persistent Universe is teh new shit and we want everyone hop on boord with it. You know, full blown experience and such.

20 pages by midnight, lol

I do bet they renege on modding support, too complex for most people to figure out etc.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
186. Re: choo choo.....choo chooooooooooooooooooo Nov 17, 2014, 02:46 DangerDog

Fantaz wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 02:12:
if there's no storyline then there's no incentive for me to play. online games almost always never have a plot, or at least not good ones.

"We have also been able to create a connected experience which lets you play your own story whilst in a [...]"

i don't want my own story, i want to play one created by a skilled story writer. sorry, these guys don't get my money or play time.

It's a "choose your own adventure" novel, remember those? There is no scripted story in Elite, it's an open galaxy sandbox where you take on various identities based on how you play the game, Trader, Combat Pilot, Pirate, Bounty hunter etc but you don't check a box to be any of the above it's freely up to you. It's more a simulation than a game.

Elite was ahead of it's time then and it seems it still is.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
156. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:08 DangerDog

Elite: Dangerous - In space no one can hear you scream... about DRM.  

4471 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo