Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4211 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
60. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:49 DangerDog

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:40:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 17:31:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:46:
Just dropping this here...

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

4chan? Okay, if that's really someone from Valve, what is said most likely isn't a stretch to the imagination but I think they would get a lot more support if they were doing something on the desktop and not the living room. Saying that you can run anything you want on SteamOS or transform it into a desktop environment (maybe or maybe not) isn't quite the Windows replacement everyone dreams of having.

Pretty sure that's not the goal. The goal is to create an amazing gaming platform. Not to replace the PC and all that it can do. Along with that goal comes driving the market forward and getting distributors to re-think their current strategies in terms of PC gamers instead of assuming it's a dead market. Hopefully. If it ever gains ground.

So far I'm not convinced, they tease about input solutions so hopefully it isn't just the rumored console game controller with biometric feedback, are we back to arguing about which is better mouse and keyboard vs console controller yet?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 17:31 DangerDog

Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:46:
Just dropping this here...

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

4chan? Okay, if that's really someone from Valve, what is said most likely isn't a stretch to the imagination but I think they would get a lot more support if they were doing something on the desktop and not the living room. Saying that you can run anything you want on SteamOS or transform it into a desktop environment (maybe or maybe not) isn't quite the Windows replacement everyone dreams of having.

36. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:20 DangerDog

ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:05:
My hate for MS has nothing to do with Windows 8(well it added to it). They've been SCREWING PC gamers over for years. Constantly making terrible decisions, releasing horrible products and trying to kill PC gaming.

How is Gabe making things better for traditional desktop PC gamers with this device? If you extrapolate his goals out to their ultimate best case scenario that he would like to achieve, what would that look like?

He would like people to stop using Windows and switch over to his Linux based console environment, not unlike Sony does with a PS4 or Google with their rumored console device - or even Microsoft with their Xbox.

33. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 16:11 DangerDog

Really though, if you want to play your PC games in the living room just move your PC to it, form factors are so small now and you're hooking up HDMI which also carries audio and video to a receiver and a power cord, mouse and keyboard could be handled wireless.

It's not like you would have this huge mess of cables to deal with like before. If you don't want to move a PC from one room to another then just build a dedicated box, you're going to need one for SteamOS anyway and so you're only saving $50 off the cost of a build, Windows would still offer a better experience for a media center type device.

By the time Valve gets this thing going people are already going to be fixated with their preferred console or media streaming device and have little interest in a most likely expensive "Oyua".

Where is that Oculus Rift thing and when is it going to be released?

17. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:41 DangerDog

2014, which when going by Valve time means 2015 or later.

No price and no hardware specs, anything less than an Intel Iris Pro 5200 or equivilant would be a waste of time. I have no need for running PC games in a living room environment as a hybrid streaming console, I imagine most people that want to do this already have their PC in the living room or have some sort of arrangement to run the cables.

It is cool that this initiative seems to be giving Linux a little more limelight, I didn't realize that Nvidia was being assholes about driver support and suddenly they've had a change of heart and want to help the Linux community. That's the only fringe benefit that Linux desktop users will see, this whole steambox project isn't going to mainstream Linux for desktop use over windows, not anymore than an Android tablet does.

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
41. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 15:12 DangerDog

He makes a strong argument for why you don't need to upgrade your graphics card, it's a race to the bottom in terms of taking advantage of a GTX Titan.

Even the Steambox is only targeting "better" for its graphics capabilities, something on par with xbox 360 and the PS3 according to Gabe.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3958162/valve-steam-box-cake

It doesn't mater if your PC can render theater quality graphics if the games aren't released on the PC, and even then it'll most likely be a console port and not look as good as a native PC title should.

ATI is announcing their "R9" series graphics cards tomorrow at the low, low price of $599 but I guess it's better than paying $650 to $1000 for what Nvidia has to offer.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions?
17. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Microtransactions? Sep 24, 2013, 01:38 DangerDog

I don't see the appeal for multiplayer, only 16 player, no dedicated servers and no host migration?

so I found this...

dedicated servers but you can't pick which one..it automatically sends you to the best connection.

so why is it limited to 16 players?

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
100. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 23:43 DangerDog

Kobalt wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 20:10:
If gaben seriously thinks any but the most hardcore will move to linux hes on some serious shit. If this is just something for hardcore pc gamers to have a sort of separate gaming pc in their living room, I see it doing as well as all the other attempts to control the living room from tech companies.

I'm more interested in the idea I see on non gaming sites that thinks valve sees the pc is dying which will eventually lead to a decline in pc gaming as more and more just buy tablets. If this turns out to be essentially a competitor to the mainstream consoles with set specs that developers can create games in mind for we might have something interesting. If this steambox can run ps4 and xbone pc ports for 500 or less I might even buy the thing

He's looking at the long game, many game companies are investing in linux and making their engines work on that OS. MS would have to completely kill off the desktop and by doing so would kill off the traditional PC with it.

They're pretty stupid at MS and anything is possible but only the truly weak minded content consuming idiots will be satisfied with nothing but a tablet and a walled garden to get content from.

What channel is "Ow my balls hurt" on again?

81. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:58 DangerDog

You'll probably have to build to their specs, I really doubt Valve is going to go overboard supporting every device and combination under the sun.  

73. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 17:19 DangerDog

SirKnight wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:51:
O rly? http://www.winehq.org/

I'm sure linux users appreciate the effort of wine but it hardly makes for a convincing case for enough support to drop Windows, unfortunately.

Perhaps it's their lack of success that keeps the ire of Microsoft off their back.

AAA games released natively to SteamOS? Even if that were the case - which I really doubt (BF4 and GTAV on SteamOS, get real) I wouldn't care because this whole thing isn't about PC gaming, it's about creating a bridge from the PC to a pseudo linux powered console platform suitable for use in the living room.

58. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 16:16 DangerDog

Simon Says wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 16:05:
They need to have MASSIVE performance improvements over Windows for me to be even REMOTELY interested in this. And there remains to be seen if you can play windows/non-steam games on it without streaming.

Without these 2 features it's just a big MEH right now. Unless Microsoft goes all Apple on us with their next OS and Walls up everything.

It would have to be streamed, there's no way MS would just sit back and let them emulate DirectX 11.x on Linux - hell MS uses that to ply pressure on PC gamers to upgrade their own versions of OS never mind suing the crap out of someone else running it on Linux.

I just don't see the "jump for joy" moment in all this, you guys really want to see your PC game library designed exclusively for living room TV's with huge clunky fonts and console controller interfaces? Seems like we have to keep fighting for higher FOV settings and mouseable interfaces in games, this will only make it worse.

54. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:59 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:26:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 15:22:
At the end of the day it's about having enough content to entice people to make the switch to your platform.

There are around 3500 games on Steam. If what he says is true, that several hundred of them are already running on SteamOS natively, then they undoubtedly have a team working on porting as many of them as possible.

Also, if you get an OS with 50 million users, devs/pubs are more likely to support you straight out of the box. I think it'll catch on pretty well.

Whether it will conquer the living room, eh, that remains to be seen. Nobody is going to fork over 1100 dollars for a Steam Box, and quite frankly, considering that a PS4 costs 400 bucks, I fail to see why a Steam Box needs to be so expensive anyway.

Those games are not optomized for TV gaming with a console controller, a hand full of linux PC indie games isn't inciting for console gamers in the slightest, nor Windows gamers I might add.

50 million Windows users of Steam does not translate into 50 million SteamOS users.

As a PC gamer I'm not interested in Living Room gaming, I want higher resolutions, higher textures and my preferred control setup is mouse and keyboard, xbox 360 controller for driving games and flight stick for flight simulators. People spending $600 on graphics cards won't be amused with input lag even if it's in the ms range.

Maybe in another two generations an Intel NUC will have enough graphic processing horsepower to be a viable gaming platform and be inexpensive enough, building even a low end $500 gaming rig to stream games to seems like a waste of time and money.

47. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 15:22 DangerDog

Gabe really took offense to Microsoft plopping an app store in his backyard with Windows 8. I think he overreacted since so many developers seem to be shunning the MS app store and users of desktop PC aren't handing over their cash by the wheelbarrow full.

This just doesn't bode well unless he can get up on stage and jump around while shouting "developers, developers, developers, DEVELOPERS!". At the end of the day it's about having enough content to entice people to make the switch to your platform. The "Living Room" is already staked out by players that are way too big for Valve to compete against. If this were a small dongle that you plugged into a spare HDMI connector that allowed you to stream you PC games to it along with everything from Youtube video and your own personal library of movies, music and pictures then they would get a substantial portion of Steam users to buy into it.

I'm not too keen on the idea of running a reskinned gimped version of Linux on a purpose built gaming rig in the living room, I would rather they put forth effort in getting desktop Linux distro up to speed for gaming.

This seems like a race to the bottom in terms of lowering the bar for PC gamers, I fully expect HL3 to be designed around a console gamepad with a default FOV of 65.

News Comments > Standalone Project Reality 2 Announced
4. Re: Standalone Project Reality 2 Announced Sep 22, 2013, 22:36 DangerDog

Too bad they couldn't get a license from DICE for the old BF2 engine tech, I know they've wanted to do this as a stand alone for a long time.

I thought Crytek had a system in place like Epic has for Unreal, you can release a for profit game but need to pay on a sliding scale depending on how much you make.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2013, 19:38 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 18:53:
92-Year-Old World War II vet avoids eviction by daughter.

I can't believe that story. So the guy give his daughter power of attorney (he's 92 after all) and she uses it to transfer the deed of his house into her name and starts eviction proceedings??!! UNBELIEVABLE. So they crowdfund buying the house back from her, WHICH SHE GOT FOR FREE. I guess it's legal and all, but still, there oughta be a law against that.

All because she didn't get that barbie dream house on her 4th birthday, I guess there doesn't have to be bad blood between them to have her roll him like this but maybe there's something more to the story.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 21, 2013, 16:07 DangerDog

StaTik wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 12:13:
PC, PC, PC, come on everyone now! PC, PC, PC, you in the back row get up! PC, PC, PC.

It'll happen in due time, late 2014 most likely.

I played a little bit of it last night and they've improved on much of the complaints from GTAIV, the suspensions in IV were too springy and the mission restart checkpoints seem more forgiving with V. I'm still not a fan of 3rd person shooters even with the auto-aim thing in place I have a hard time tracking targets. Attention to detail always impresses, I often get lost for hours just urban exploring but I really want 1st person view with zoom, would make it easier to read magazine covers and look at other textures up close.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 20, 2013, 23:48 DangerDog

Oops I misread, yeah I don't think they can take the DLC premium subscriptions into account but maybe.

I doubt there's much trickle down for that $1b to the people working on the low end of the stick, incoming complaints from the main voice actors about not getting paid enough.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 20, 2013, 22:13 DangerDog

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 20:33:
CoD's numbers will never hit that. Unless they charge $120 for games out of the gate instead of counting the season pass as a 2nd purchase after the fact. Which I am sure they are already talking about.

GTA5 is now the largeset entertainment item in history for opening day, first 24 hours, and quickest to 1Billion.

Awesome. They deserve it.

They already do, just like Battlefield Premium you can pre-purchase DLC for Call of Duty for an extra $50

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 14:30 DangerDog

Hope you didn't go too small on your SSD, so many people only think of it as necessary for a boot drive but having extra space for games and not needing to shuffle them back and forth to a mechanical is worth the extra expense. I wouldn't go smaller than 250 - which has a formatted capacity of 233. 60 gig partition for OS and main programs and the rest for games and data, that way you can image your OS partition using (Active@, Acronis, AOMEI) to a mechanical for easy restore.

I didn't see any deep discounts on last gen hardware, the heat issue is just for people trying to do extreme overclocks which I think people are spoiled with anyway. 3.5 to 4.2 ghz, safe and effortless yet people cry when they can't get to 5 ghz? I also took into account the improvements in UEFI bios designs, more SATA 6 ports and USB 3.0 ports and see there's plenty of reasons to pass over last gen as an upgrade platform.

Too bad you were under pressure to get your parts so suddenly, deal hunting seems to be part of the challenge in putting together a new system these days. You can't just take price into account but when you come across a good deal on a thoroughly researched part it's like sweet, sweet victory.

Curses to Microcenter and their stupid cheap prices on motherboards and cpu combo's, they must have some sort of agreement not to sell at those prices online or risk being dropped from distributors. $279 for a 4770k, really?

News Comments > New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers
5. Re: New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers Sep 19, 2013, 14:58 DangerDog

r200 series

some of these new cards are just renamed versions of existing cards, only the new $500+ cards seem to be actual new hardware.

I'm most interested in seeing if they have new cooler solutions, I don't like the idea of having almost all of the hot air dumped in the case.

every day is seems like ATI cards drop another $20, lots of deals on 7950's and 7970's.

announcement is next week, 25th but they won't be released till some time in October.

4211 Comments. 211 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo