Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4836 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
17. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 17:56 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:18:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:06:
I don't think MS will allow their prized IP's to migrate from xbone to PC.

The vast majority of sales happen within the first month or two. Delay it until after that, and you can both use it as bait to sell Xbones, and make money from people like me who won't ever own an Xbone. Not doing so is leaving money on the table.

except MS uses their exclusive IP's to drum up sales for xboxes not the games themselves.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
12. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 16:06 DangerDog

I don't think MS will allow their prized IP's to migrate from xbone to PC.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 17, 2014, 10:50 DangerDog

Kajetan wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:42:
InBlack wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:16:
Chris Roberts is a smooth talker though so I don't expect any firebombs in there but Im actually eager to listen to whats said 'in-between the lines'.
Well ... errr ... *cough* just you know... there will be no SP game. Squadron 42 was cancelled last week, because our Persistent Universe is teh new shit and we want everyone hop on boord with it. You know, full blown experience and such.

20 pages by midnight, lol

I do bet they renege on modding support, too complex for most people to figure out etc.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
186. Re: choo choo.....choo chooooooooooooooooooo Nov 17, 2014, 02:46 DangerDog

Fantaz wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 02:12:
if there's no storyline then there's no incentive for me to play. online games almost always never have a plot, or at least not good ones.

"We have also been able to create a connected experience which lets you play your own story whilst in a [...]"

i don't want my own story, i want to play one created by a skilled story writer. sorry, these guys don't get my money or play time.

It's a "choose your own adventure" novel, remember those? There is no scripted story in Elite, it's an open galaxy sandbox where you take on various identities based on how you play the game, Trader, Combat Pilot, Pirate, Bounty hunter etc but you don't check a box to be any of the above it's freely up to you. It's more a simulation than a game.

Elite was ahead of it's time then and it seems it still is.

156. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 21:08 DangerDog

Elite: Dangerous - In space no one can hear you scream... about DRM.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips
9. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 17:21 DangerDog

Ubisoft: 'disconnect your Internet' to fix Assassin's Creed: Unity

It's really odd that they can even make anything that looks half as good as Far Cry or Assassin's Creed with dumb shit comments like this or their "resolution doesn't matter", "30 fps is all you need" etc.

77. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 16:33 DangerDog

Julio wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:15:
Harrowing wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:17:
The vast majority of serious gamers are online all the time.

Guess I'm not a "serious gamer" by that definition. Braben really should have advertised it as online required from day one. So what happens when they shut the servers down at some point?

The assets will get auctioned off and whoever buys the IP will make the decision to support the game or not.

They'll probably want to focus on the console versions of Elite Dangerous after the PC version ships - the next thing on the list is to allow you to walk around inside your ship so some of that will probably roll over to the console version. If it doesn't sell well on the PC I imagine all bets are off on seeing it reach lofty goals such as landing on planets and having any FPS type elements added to the game.

76. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 16:21 DangerDog

clint wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:09:
Kickstarter, early access and 'paying for beta' is based on faith. The DEVs broke a promise and selling point to this game. It DOESNT matter if you can live with it or if that particular broken promise doesn't matter to you. It means another reason not to trust kickstarter/early access/paid beta. A few of these can easily destroy the whole thing. THAT should matter to you. Think beyond your own personal little 'oh i have internet, get over it' attitude and think a tid bit bigger.

Early access (really expensive alpha) and paid beta all required online connection to play, so no trust broken from that perspective.

The decision sucks but not enough to stop playing or supporting what the devs are making with Elite Dangerous.

58. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:34 DangerDog

Rigs wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:26:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:16:
Funny that you could never find a pirated copy of the alpha or beta anywhere.

There's only ONE way you could've known that and that's by looking yourself. But, yes, you are correct, there are no E:D torrents that I'm aware of and, yes, I've looked - A LOT...

=-Rigs-=

Devilish what? huh? I don't know what you're talking about.

They do have a few "offline" training missions but I guess that wasn't enough content to spend any time trying to crack the account authentication procedure.

42. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:16 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:00:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:46:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:14:
Welp, they just lost my money. A shame, too. I was really looking forward to this.

Come on, for real? Having it be completely off-line is that big of a deal?

Yup.
1. I am often places where there is no internet connection when I play due to work.

2. I rarely play online games. I'm pretty much an SP player and have no desire to play with strangers.

We all know it's because they don't want to have their game pirated, any other excuse doesn't float because they managed to make Elite work on much less hardware in the 80's. They don't have a rich enough online tapestry to draw people into buying the game for that "whole experience".
It appears that while "protecting" themselves from lost sales due to piracy, they'll also lose sales due to this decision.

People are perfectly okay with Steam DRM but come out screaming with pitchforks when anyone else implements it.
Steam has an offline mode idiot. I can go months without connecting, and have.

Requiring an internet connection is the least of your problems if you can't afford the hardware needed to get the full experience - high end graphics card, joystick and throttle setup, head tracking device (TrackIR or FreeTrack) or a Rift VR headset even.
I have $2000 worth of hardware and a HOTAS, and will be getting OR CV1 upon it's debut. It's not a question of money. It's a question of preference.

You can still play solo mode, you obviously have an internet connection which invalidates your reason for not getting the game.

You can't tell me that you're hauling around $2000 worth of gear to play games offline, where on the planet are you going where you don't have access to internet if you have access to power?

Look, I'm not saying this "news" doesn't slot into the category of "well that sucks" but lets just be honest about what they're wanting to prevent here. Funny that you could never find a pirated copy of the alpha or beta anywhere.

16. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 14:46 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:14:
Welp, they just lost my money. A shame, too. I was really looking forward to this.

Come on, for real? Having it be completely off-line is that big of a deal?

We all know it's because they don't want to have their game pirated, any other excuse doesn't float because they managed to make Elite work on much less hardware in the 80's. They don't have a rich enough online tapestry to draw people into buying the game for that "whole experience".

Unless they're holding back on something it's not going to be deep enough for most people today - the sandbox design is perhaps a bit dated, there's no campaign story to play - it's just you, a ship and some starter credits. The only story is the one of your experience doing stuff in the game, some argue that there's not enough "stuff" in the game. I'm not aware of any achievement type activities other than working up your status to become "Elite Dangerous". It's also not a pvp game either, there's a small amount of co-op capability.

This is an extremely niche market and will never amount to big money for them - they're not micro-transactioning people to death, you can't even buy ships with real money like you do with Star Citizen.

People are perfectly okay with Steam DRM but come out screaming with pitchforks when anyone else implements it.

I do agree that anyone who purchased or backed the game up to this point deserves a refund option if it's somehow means they can't play the game, however this doesn't mean that the game isn't worth buying and playing if you're a fan of the original Elite in any way. You can still play "solo" mode if you don't want to deal with other people in your game.

Requiring an internet connection is the least of your problems if you can't afford the hardware needed to get the full experience - high end graphics card, joystick and throttle setup, head tracking device (TrackIR or FreeTrack) or a Rift VR headset even.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
5. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 20:24 DangerDog

The only one I ever finished was Rocket Ranger on the Amiga.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
3. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 19:51 DangerDog

hmm no three stooges?  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk
16. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 10, 2014, 04:40 DangerDog

I played the exo suit survivor mode all day then found out that in order to unlock the zombie level you need to progress through "tiered maps" and as far as I can tell you can't do that by playing online using matchmaking.

10. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 9, 2014, 17:07 DangerDog

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I haven't had it stop mid match like it did in MW2 when the host dropped out.

I have ports 27000-27050 forwarding and my nat type says open but I'm not sure if that's all I need to do.

8. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 9, 2014, 16:13 DangerDog

I haven't seen any "host migration" messages or had a match pause while a new host was found. The main problem is they have 800ms as acceptable for matching up players, dedicated servers with a server browser wouldn't work for this game. You join a game and when one side gets beat down half or more leave and then you would be forced to leave that server and look for another. This system fills in the empty slots automatically.

The days of having 32 player matches in a CoD game are never coming back.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2014, 13:21 DangerDog

They'll most likely drag out the process of becoming the six #illion dollar man and skip over any real usage of his cybernetic powers.

Unless this turns out to be another comedy spoof on 70's TV shows I think it's story has already been overshadowed by other movies like Robocop

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
52. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:11 DangerDog

Everyone knows the real reason to be upset about it disappearing from Steam.

No chance of it being on a Steam sale-athon.

News Comments > The Witcher III Free DLC Plans
8. Re: The Witcher III Free DLC Plans Nov 6, 2014, 14:29 DangerDog

All these games coming out next year, xmas seems like a wasteland for new releases.

I wonder what's up with their Cyberpunk game.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
14. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 14:27 DangerDog

Is this locked to 30fps or is that just on consoles?  

4836 Comments. 242 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo