Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4964 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rockstar on GTA5 Framerate
7. Re: Rockstar on GTA5 Framerate Jul 13, 2015, 16:54 DangerDog

Time for another round of reduction in visual fidelity "tweaks", I swear the end goal is to make it look just like the xbox 360 version on the PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 17:47 DangerDog

They keep talking about "Windows as a service" which sounds like they'll eventually charge a monthly fee to use it just like they have with xbox live.

They're working with an entire generation of people growing up expecting to pay for things that shouldn't cost extra and will want to keep that ball rolling along.

They'll probably do "Windows Gold" and bundle in a bunch of cloud crap to make it seem like you're getting such a great deal.

The reason Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 for free is to get people using the Windows Store, as it receives a 30% cut of all sales. It also unifies the userbase, as Microsoft has a major issue getting XP users to upgrade and faced the same problem with Windows 7. They'll still charge for new licences and businesses will still have to pay the megabucks for support contracts.

I still think they'll alter the deal if they don't get enough people subscribing to their auxiliary cloud services, maybe they can supplant some of the lost revenue from data mining people with "cortana"

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
4. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 12, 2015, 04:54 DangerDog

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 21:18:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 14:02:
And he also seems oblivious to copyright laws.

How so? The Mega Man collection is a licensed product that Capcom announced themselves a while back.

And the whole point of what these guys are doing is that you won't need various emulators to play your illegally-obtained ROMs. It's platform-agnostic digital reproduction of what was on the cartridge. We need more publishers getting on board with this.

I thought he was doing this and calling it "art restoration", didn't sound like he had commercial permission from reading the article. Guess I missed that part.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2015, 14:20 DangerDog

Task wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:21:
Looks like SC released a video teaser update regarding the FPS portion. And the write up.

If that's all they can show of the FPS module then this is going to be another "Interstellar Marines" fiasco. Those weapon site gifs look like they were done in photoshop, the blurring effect is retarded and doesn't even match from one to the other.

They're in full spin control, why don't they just put up a huge banner that says "Please don't sue us!"

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Jul 11, 2015, 14:02 DangerDog

And he also seems oblivious to copyright laws.  

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
145. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 19:45 DangerDog

Tumbler wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 11:48:
[
DICE is likely the best studio to give a summary on progress of Star Citizen because they're really the only guys that run a FPS engine that involves FPS combat on the ground with vehicles you can fly and drive around on the same map. But I doubt they would comment publically.

Even they know when to put the breaks on when deciding to use an engine designed for first person shooters with a space simulation, the fact that they're not having any space combat in
Star Wars Battlefront speaks volumes.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 10, 2015, 19:40 DangerDog

Nothing I hate more than coil whine from a graphics card, seems they almost always decide to go with sub-standard parts on reference boards and then it becomes the luck of the draw.  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 9, 2015, 18:08 DangerDog

Microsoft could easily conquer the smart phone eco system, all they have to do is look to their origins on the PC and emulate that.

Create an affordable x86 based phone/phablet like the Asus zenfone 2, release a completely open platform version of Windows for it, include the ability to use desktop apps with full functionality in docked mode. Tap into Google Android app market through emulation. Have all versions of the phone unlocked to be used on various cell services.

But they won't do this because they're still trying too hard to be just like Apple and sell overpriced hardware with a walled garden software eco system.

News Comments > Into the Stars Early Access
12. Re: Into the Stars Early Access Jul 9, 2015, 17:44 DangerDog

Still waiting for the 32-bit graphic version of FTL, this looks like 256-bit at least.  

79. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 17:32 DangerDog

Luke wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 16:58:
Darks wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 16:48:
Before this is all said and done, this game will turn out to be the biggest law suit in the history of gaming.

Chris Roberts wont even be able to find a Rock to hide under after ripping off everyone with false hopes and dreams.

people should just stop Funding any games out there , people are just so easy to trick

I'm glad to have backed Elite Dangerous, I got into the very late beta stage when it wasn't very expensive to do so and played it for 300 hours.

The biggest observable thing that they did on ED was to fine tune the space flight and combat feel to the game first and foremost. I still feel like they haven't done this properly for Star Citizen, all of the releases they've made so far have felt like they're bolting on a spaceship hud to a FPS game. There's a sense of physical presence you get in ED, especially if you use Track IR or one of the many forms of head tracking that Star Citizen is lacking.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
20. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 9, 2015, 16:53 DangerDog

PHJF wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 14:09:
Smart is only chirping up again because he has pulled out a lawn chair and a beer to watch the Hindenburg of a game that is Star Citizen go down in flames.

Hey man, at this point that's the only entertainment value left to us backers.

I don't expect them to ever release this game, it's now a task of making the money vanish before the crash helmet crew that spent massive money on space ship renders tries to get their money back.

73. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 16:37 DangerDog

dsmart wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:12:
Is it just me, or are people reading a totally different version of this announcement?

It's a bunch of words - that say nothing concrete. At all.

Only fanboys - the same ones who are attacking everyone who doesn't agree with them - are lapping up this bullshit.

To be frank, the fact that my article has sparked this discussion all across gaming communities, is pretty much what I wanted to see happen.

It also prompted them to respond to certain things they kept quiet about.

Now this "update"

STOP giving them money until they ship a substantial part of what they promised back in 2012. It really is that simple.

Only gave them the initial backing amount, I really don't understand why anyone is still giving them money for space ship renderings.

I have a feeling they started out with good intentions but by using the Crytek engine and making the hanger module where you could walk around in first person mode sparked their imagination into thinking they could churn out an FPS game easier than the convoluted multi-crewed spaceship sim.

Trying to tie it all together into some sort of MMO is beyond pure fantasy, I agree with what you said in the podcast - they're never going to reach the lofty goals they've told people about how the game will work.

However, if you look at what's been made for No Mans Sky and it seems like you can have seamless first person planet to space gaming. I wonder how much of it is that they're trying to mod CryEngine into something that is beyond they're abilities - or perhaps the ability of CryEngine flat out.

News Comments > New FlatOut Game Announced
10. Re: New FlatOut Game Announced Jul 8, 2015, 16:22 DangerDog

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 15:18:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 15:09:
Next Car Game seems to be stuck in development hell, they just released an overhaul of their engine and the visuals took a pretty big step backwards.
It did? I haven't checked it out in a while but I did see the e-mail about changing the engine.
Well that sucks
[url=http://www.tweaktown.com/news/46284/next-car-game-sees-downgraded-graphics-latest-update/index.html[/url]

I haven't purchased it yet, waiting to see if they put enough single player into it as it seems very multiplayer focused right now. The downgrade in visuals is pretty bad though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2015, 15:18 DangerDog

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 09:56:
Star Wars- Han Solo origins film announced. Bitten by a radioactive rogue.

HEY hey hey hey hey...keep it down, allright? Let's not give them any ideas!

It's going to be based around the time in Empire when he was frozen in carbonite, groundhog's day style.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 8, 2015, 15:14 DangerDog

The telcoms got paid to upgrade the infrastructure, we should have fiber everywhere but they just pocketed the money.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 8, 2015, 15:12 DangerDog

I didn't know they were doing episode bullshit for that KQ game.  

News Comments > New FlatOut Game Announced
8. Re: New FlatOut Game Announced Jul 8, 2015, 15:09 DangerDog

Next Car Game seems to be stuck in development hell, they just released an overhaul of their engine and the visuals took a pretty big step backwards.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
34. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 17:12 DangerDog

It really is a lame game design choice. You're an explorer to an unsurveyed world, scanning and naming creatures - but if you kill any of them then hoards of robots just pop into existence and start killing you.

Now if they made other creatures big and small start stomping you into the ground then maybe. You could even have "tremors" like creatures pop out of the ground and try to kill you. But nope, flying robots - on every planet.

4. Re: BBC Jul 7, 2015, 15:33 DangerDog

Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 11:45:
The BBC isn't giving them to every 7 year old for free. The tax payers are paying for them.

It's 11 and 12 year olds, you have to be at least interested enough to ask for one. Hell, I want one.

I applaud their initiative, not sure if you're really going to spark the imagination of kids into programing with it but maybe if it was wrapped around structured school based curriculum there's a chance that it could be of benefit.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
27. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 15:01 DangerDog

Looks like the "sentinel" game mechanic could be a major pain in the ass, not being able to even take out attacking AI without invoking the wrath of a ton of auto-generated robots where you can't even clear them out and eliminate a spawn beacon or something. Another, no you can't play the game the way you want because we're going to annoy the crap out of you if you don't play it the way we want you to type design.

If there's a layer of interactivity with other alien races while flying around in space other than just pure shoot or be killed it might be really cool. It's possible there's a layer to it that's like a really old game called Starflight, if so then I'll be blown away.

4964 Comments. 249 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo