Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4472 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Documentary
12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 21:20 DangerDog

Bundy wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:27:
Tom wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:01:
There really is a lot to like about this game. The feeling of flight is fantastic. I just hope they can work out the bugs. Sticking to a 2014 release date seems like a REALLY BAD IDEA given its current state, but oh well, if they keep working hard post-release to fix not only systems bugs but also gameplay, it might work out ok.

I've played many hours of this, first with TrackIR, then with the Oculus Rift DK2. Some sort of headtracking is pretty much mandatory if you want the full experience. TrackIR and the Rift each have their pros and cons right now, but overall the Rift is so much cooler to use. You feel like you're in that ship. Once the Rift has better resolution and the game supports it fully (e.g. mouse in the galaxy map) it will absolutely bury TrackIR. Already I don't use TrackIR anymore unless I'm learning a new aircraft in DCS and need a clearer picture of controls I haven't memorized yet without having to jam my head against the instrument panel.

As for VoiceAttack ... hah! What a gimmick. Pretty much every commonly used command (and some uncommon ones) should be available for instant access via your HOTAS, a far quicker and more reliable means of controlling your ship. The beginning of their first demo video (I didn't watch the rest) is truly laughable to any experienced Elite: Dangerous player. That said, there are a few non-time-critical things that could maybe be useful as voice input if you want to forgo some of the control and immersion of using the ship's UI for the sake of convenience, like "Request docking" to execute a macro that takes care of a whole sequence of commands needed to do that.

I've never understood how this works, maybe u can explain it to me. What exactly does TrackIR do in this game? I assumed that using the Oculus alone would be enough for head tracking and accessing your left and right menu's.

Slight movements to your head translate to changing your view, you set up how far your view translates based on your head movement so you don't need to twist you neck or end up looking out the corner of your eye at the screen. The coolest use in this game besides being able to track targets better is looking to either the left or right to access the ships command terminals.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 19:14 DangerDog

They had rift support before the facebook deal went through.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 15:55 DangerDog

Some are saying it's player hosted without instanced servers, I haven't seen host migration message come up yet.

They're extremely vague about answering the question when asked.

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 15:49 DangerDog

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 09:50:
Try this link: http://youtu.be/v7jP2drkUXE

Really shows off how cool head tracking is in the game, maybe not a check box requirement but it adds so much immersion and sense of physical presence to being in the cockpit.

I have to applaud the art design for not going full throttle on trying to emulate the latest sci-fi cinematography tripe like blinding lights shining into your eyes and excessive lens flare - yes I'm talking about you Star Citizen.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 15:18 DangerDog

I can't believe it would even launch with 1gb graphics card let alone play the game.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Zombies Confirmed
4. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Zombies Confirmed Nov 3, 2014, 14:12 DangerDog

I doubt the map packs sell very well on the PC and this is their attempt at getting people to pry open their wallet for extra modes and maps.

They also never seem to discount the season pass until the game is completely dead. It doesn't help that they give xbox a one month exclusive on DLC as well.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 14:05 DangerDog

They're less likely to split up multi and single player and more likely to turn it into some sort of "gaming as a service" where you have to buy the game and then also force an endless monthly fee (probably $10) for extra "content".

Right now they're still trying to get people to fork over their money up front but I think the toad in the pot approach would work better.

"look at all the extra textures for your guns you get! such value!" something like that and presto you'll be needing to pay out each month to get your CoD fix.

Dedicated servers are in, you can see ping bars but no server browser of course. Private matches are no doubt player hosted. So it's a hybrid system like most of the others. I think in some regions it's strictly player hosted because some of the places it unlocked first showed host migration messages but in the US there are servers.

FOV goes to 90 in multiplayer but there are clipping issues where you can see through your arms when using some weapons, default is 65 which is most likely what single player is locked to - need to wait for a mod to unlock the FOV for single player.

The maps are colorful mostly future industrial tech - I haven't seen anything of a more nature based construct, gameplay is fast and extremely casual. There is an offline combat training mode where you can play a few maps and modes against bots - if only I could play against those skill levels online TTK is superfast, but I always find it that way in COD games.

While you still unlock weapons at specific levels they've also added their version of "battlepacks" to the game in the form of "supply drops" which is a confusing name but essentially you get random guns with different specs of a base gun, you only get them by continuing to play the game.

I noticed they even put in a few game modes where you can play without the exo suit abilities but they're buried in the menus and probably will never get played.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - NS2 Combat
5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - NS2 Combat Oct 31, 2014, 17:36 DangerDog

I read that they worked three years on this or something, I'm just not seeing it.

News Comments > Evolve Big Alpha Underway
8. Re: Evolve Big Alpha Underway Oct 31, 2014, 15:43 DangerDog

If you were in the first alpha test all you need to do to play this is reinstall the game.

News Comments > Call of Duty Zombie Shocker
5. Re: Call of Duty Zombie Shocker Oct 31, 2014, 15:39 DangerDog

No doubt there will be zombie DLC

this looks like it comes up while playing the campaign, too bad the actual gameplay doesn't look as good as the cut scenes.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Far Cry 4
14. Re: Gone Gold - Far Cry 4 Oct 30, 2014, 22:34 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 21:03:
Cyant wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:57:
Easy choice for me, Inquisition is EA on Origin hence im not touching it.

This requires Ubis's version whose name I can't remember.

Uplay, and it isn't any better than Origin - probably worse in terms of features.

News Comments > Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway
8. Re: Natural Selection 2: Combat Friday; Livestream Underway Oct 30, 2014, 05:10 DangerDog

InBlack wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 03:14:
I bought NS2 ages ago, and played it for a bit. Never could really get into it though too much, the main problem for me being the hit and miss of public games at least with regards to how the teams organize themselvces. It was virtually impossible to get a halfway decent commander. Still it had huge potential, especially with the tons of mods around.

With that said I will not be getting this, maybe at a sale at some point.

I thought it was free to NS2 owners but nope.

No, this game is not free for NS2 owners.
Combat is to NS2 as Half-Life 2 is to Counter-Strike: Source, or DayZ is to ARMA III.

NS2: Combat looks like NS2 because it exists in the Natural Selection universe. Think of it like Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. It uses the same engine and many assets from NS2, but the SPARK engine in specific has been gutted in many ways to allow Combat to be something more than just a mod. We've created additional lore in the game so you can understand what's been happening in the time period between NS2 and Combat.

sounds like bullshit to me but whatever.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015 Oct 29, 2014, 00:49 DangerDog

petition for no lightsaber/jedi mode starts now.  

News Comments > EA Financials; BF Hardline Delayed
3. Re: EA Financials; BF Hardline Delayed Oct 29, 2014, 00:47 DangerDog

I never heard the Feb date for hardline, they did promise another beta so probably in January or maybe two weeks before release in March.  

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
76. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 18:16 DangerDog

Star Citizen? Nope, but Beta 3 of Elite Dangerous released today

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52288

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 28, 2014, 17:25 DangerDog

Blackhawk wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 10:17:
They still are construction sets. You can still buy boxes of plain old bricks that can be assembled in any way. The 'model kits' are just a different option.

Really? I've only seen the themed lego sets in the store, they used to sell them as just a box of legos and a few ideas to make stuff on the outside of the box. Now kids play with lego by building what's on the box and never taking it apart to make something from their imagination. They even discourage this on some sets by giving you large stickers that cover up walls - so if you take it apart you're almost guaranteed never to be able to put the original model back together and make it look good.

I remember reading long ago that the creator of lego intentionally made the bricks in certain colors so as to discourage kids from making war toys with them. All my tanks were red. I somehow doubt he would approve of what has become of lego today.

66. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 17:09 DangerDog

Task wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 17:03:
I'm hazarding a guess, but I assume there is no widescreen support from what I have read so far on another site, if you are wondering how it works on modern systems Krovven.

Long ago though, when my first forray into modding was mainly SW games, I found a way, posted on the interwebs, to 'hack' the .exe file with a hex editor to support wide screens. I did it myself once, but I don't remember how. That was way back in 2005 though, so unless GoG somehow found it, its likely someone will need to bring out the fix again.

Xwing Alliance supports widescreen and you can play the original xwing missions using it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/play-x-wing-with-upgraded-graphics-trust-us-you-should/

65. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 17:05 DangerDog

Krovven wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 16:41:
OMG you guys are pathetic. I didn't even say anything bad about the games and you are immediately getting into defensive fanboy mode.

Peoples nostalgia over how the original games means nothing to me. As my nostalgia over the games would mean nothing to you.

I want to know how the current releases function and how they look and at what resolutions are available...among other issues, features, etc.

Guess I'll just go get my answers from another forum where people don't have giant sticks shoved up their ass.

seems like the answers are on gog forums

[url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition/page7[/url]

looks like you can either run it in dos mode (320x200) or windows 95 mode which uses xwing vs tie fighter engine that takes away more than it gives, mainly dynamic music and messes up the physics for the sake of multiplayer balance - even though this is single player.

people are clamoring for the 95 collectors cd edition that's not part of the release.

In 1995, TIE Fighter also received a Collector's CD-ROM. The CD-ROM version offered optional enhanced SVGA graphics, increasing the game's resolution from 320x200 to 640x480.[2] The cinematic cutscenes were also enhanced, and the game received numerous voiceovers. The CD-ROM includes the previously released Defender of the Empire expansion and an additional Enemies of the Empire expansion.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation - Corporate Lockdown Released
17. Re: Alien: Isolation - Corporate Lockdown Released Oct 28, 2014, 16:41 DangerDog

TangledThorns wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 16:29:
How are folk here playing the game on PC, with keyboard & mouse or gamepad?

mouse and keyboard is fine as is gamepad, and someone said there was an issue with FOV? They do allow you to adjust it, not to 120 but it's not your typical console port of 65.

If all the DLC is centered around the Station then it could end up being that the best way to play it is after all the DLC is released and you can play it in a more logical order in terms of timeline of events, maybe - I guess it depends on how far each DLC takes you to the final conclusion and spoils the end of the main game.

News Comments > Next-Gen Grand Theft Auto V Bonuses for Returning Players
14. Re: Next-Gen Grand Theft Auto V Bonuses for Returning Players Oct 28, 2014, 16:31 DangerDog

does it use player hosted or instanced servers for multiplayer?  

4472 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo