Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Danger Dog

Real Name Danger Dog   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DangerDog
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2000, 17:57
Total Comments 4426 (Master)
User ID 6174

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
11. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 13:37 DangerDog

or is it to stop buying games from people in parts of the world where games are sold at much lower prices?

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:34:
Not to mention that no key-reseller EVER sells gifts, they sell steam keys which are very much unlike steam gifts

Steam gifts are what you get from Humblebundle lately. You link account and games are "gifted"

maybe not key-resellers but I have seen people asking for "gifting" from other parts of the world.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Original Elite for Free
16. Re: Original Elite for Free Nov 24, 2014, 14:55 DangerDog

1badmf wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 14:36:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 14:17:
Alien Today on Blue's News kids react to 1984 gaming technology.

Hopefully we're all fortunate enough to be around another 30 years to look back on this moment in time with the same sense of bemusement - "did we really think that technology was the bee's knees?"

i bet OG elite could literally be played on a ti-85.

probably so, someone made a version that works on the Nintendo Gameboy Advanced complete with solid filled graphics.

http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Elite/gba.html

News Comments > Original Elite for Free
10. Re: Original Elite for Free Nov 24, 2014, 14:17 DangerDog

Alien Today on Blue's News kids react to 1984 gaming technology.

Hopefully we're all fortunate enough to be around another 30 years to look back on this moment in time with the same sense of bemusement - "did we really think that technology was the bee's knees?"

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed
37. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 24, 2014, 04:28 DangerDog

loomy wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 23:49:
this is an mmorpg alpha test you god damned geniuses. it's not counterstrike

you are going to have like 10 minutes of FPS a week in this game. the FPS module is just a TEST

at this point I don't even think Chris Roberts knows what this FPS "module" is going to be. I'm pretty sure he wants it to be "second life" in space where if you get a virtual hang nail you'll need to go to med bay to get it looked at.

34. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 23:36 DangerDog

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 22:56:
Flatline wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 21:33:
I'm even less impressed about this than before. Whoever said it was like a teenager's first video game project nailed it.

At some point the game has to be "fun" instead of "complicated". The fact that the developers aren't able to so far say "We want this to be fun so realism/complexity is taking a back seat here" suggests either really inexperienced devs, or a design crew that doesn't know how to say no.

+1

There are many proposed gameplay mechanics by now that show very clearly that Chris Roberts has A) been out of the loop for over a decade and B) has never made a (massively) multiplayer online game before and now C) has never made a FPS ever before either.
There is a reason why no one has made some of the "revolutionary" features of Star Citizen FPS gameplay before. Because they SUCK. And not just on paper...
Finally, rumor has it that CR is not very good at taking 'no's' from anyone so his designers are probably like "ok, whatever, boss" as long as they get their paycheck on time every month.

It's not a game for mass consumption that's for sure, as for not being fun - some people really like realism in their shooters. Have you ever played Project Realty?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Goes "Gamma"
39. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 20:36 DangerDog

Prez wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 19:32:
Hopefully after launch and when things are running smoothly they will reconsider the offline mode.

Here you go, it's in stock even

https://store.elitedangerous.com/usd/elite1984.html

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale This Week
6. Re: Steam Autumn Sale This Week Nov 23, 2014, 17:10 DangerDog

Assassin's Creed Unity, 75% off

*crickets*

27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 17:03 DangerDog

Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 15:51:
DangerDog wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 15:35:
There's already been an announcement that you can get your money back for the game regardless if you've played the alpha/beta. They might just refund you the price of the "game" minus the additional cost of joining the alpha/beta.

I would think there's going to be some push back against handing out refunds to people who have buyers remorse for spending so much on accessing the alpha version especially since it was $300.

People really paid $300 for a game that was in alpha? lmao

Yes they did, which is why I wouldn't refund anything beyond the price of the retail game itself if it were up to me. You weren't signing on for an opportunity to play an "offline" alpha version of the game.

I guess if you were some uber fan of Elite the temptation was just too great.

23. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 15:35 DangerDog

There's already been an announcement that you can get your money back for the game regardless if you've played the alpha/beta. They might just refund you the price of the "game" minus the additional cost of joining the alpha/beta.

I would think there's going to be some push back against handing out refunds to people who have buyers remorse for spending so much on accessing the alpha version especially since it was $300.

21. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 15:16 DangerDog

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 14:54:
Has anyone gone through the process of requesting a refund?
some special link I have to go to?
I will proceed with my request, I logged in a total of 15 minutes I think since I bought the Alpha and not only am I not impressed, the way Braben lied about shit warrants this move.

You have to put in a request through their e-store, same place you bought the Alpha.

14. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 14:45 DangerDog

The FPS module is actually the most interesting thing the game offers so far, maybe it's because of the CryEngine they're using but I haven't been overly impressed with the space combat / ship racing modules shown off.

Sounds like this is going to try to be Rainbow Six in space, not sure if that slow of a paced shooter will work. It's a tricky balance between making it too realistic or too arcade. Realism requires an extremely mature player base, throw one or two extremely immature players and they can ruin everyone else's game.

17. Re: Elite: Dangerous Goes Nov 23, 2014, 14:28 DangerDog

I guess you have to alter the definition of MMO, it's a single player game with some co-op options - the only MMO aspect is that other players now influence your game and if you go full online mode you can interact with a handful of other players at a time. There's no lobby where you can see everyone else jumping around your screen, you don't go on raids, no crafting or massive guilds or player created factions.

If you expect to see a linear progressive mission based space game with cinematic cut scenes this isn't your game. If you expect a massive PvP arena based space game this isn't your game.

I would consider the "Retail" release an early access, it's complete enough to call a game if you hold it up next to the original Elite but there's plenty left for them to add and work on.

Some might feel that its design is off putting when compared to today's play to complete the story gameplay but it's faithful to the original "space simulation" of having an open galaxy to explore and fight in with no defined ending. A more modern approach would have been to make Call of Duty with space ships, I'm sure any other publisher would have made it that way.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
38. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 22, 2014, 20:58 DangerDog

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 18:01:
Current Eula:

8. In-Game Advertising
The Game may incorporate technology (which may be provided by Frontier or third party service providers engaged by Frontier (each a "Dynamic Advertising Provider")) which enables advertising to be uploaded into the Game on your PC, and changed while the Game is being played on-line. In order that the Dynamic Advertising Provider is able to direct advertising appropriate to your Game and geographic region, as well as to the correct location within the computer game, certain non-personally identifiable data and information may be retrieved and retained by the Dynamic Advertising Provider including your I.P. address, geographic location, in-game position, and information concerning the appearance of advertising visible during your gameplay (for example, the length of time an item of advertising was visible, the dimensions of the advertisements). In addition, the Dynamic Advertising Provider may assign a unique identification number which is stored on your PC and which is used to monitor and calculate the number of views of dynamic advertising during gameplay. None of the information collected for this purpose including the identification number can be used to identify you.

The technology employed by Dynamic Advertising Providers may be located outside your country of residence (including outside of the European Union).

Where a Game incorporates dynamic advertising technology, the technology which serves the provision of dynamic in-game advertising is integrated within the Game. This means that if you do not want to receive dynamic advertising, you should only play the game when you are not connected to the Internet.

Yeah, they need to edit that part out obviously.

It probably wont amount to anymore than advertising skins for ships that you can buy from their e-store.

Just like what Valve is now doing with in game ads.

Valve sneaks in game ads into dota2

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
9. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 22, 2014, 17:05 DangerDog

even if you do somehow magically detect all the cheats you still have hardware manufactures offering up cheats to sell their products.

http://www.asus.com/microsite/2013/lcd/GamingMonitors/fast.htm

ASUS VG Gaming Series monitors feature the GamePlus hotkey with crosshair overlay and timer functions. Select from four different crosshairs to suit your gaming environment, and keep track of spawn and build times with the on-screen timer.

you can program a crosshair to show up on the monitor.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
3. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 22, 2014, 14:54 DangerDog

e-sports needs to die in a fire, the whole concept is retarded.  

18. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 22, 2014, 02:26 DangerDog

Good news, they reopened that thread.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Nov 21, 2014, 21:56 DangerDog

are we heading for another "Atari" sized console market implosion?  

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 21, 2014, 21:53 DangerDog

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 DangerDog

I've read that google is going to do the same thing with youtube, pay to not see ads.

seems like all they need to do is flip a switch to detect that you're using ad block and "block" you if you are.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2 Nov 21, 2014, 11:02 DangerDog

I see there's no additional licensing fees for selling apps but can you release ad supported apps with this?  

4426 Comments. 222 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo