Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 238 (Novice)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
12. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 1, 2011, 08:43 The Pyro

Hrm, I would like to watch this trailer, however Youtube is asking for a login, as demanded by the uploader? Wtf is this bullshit? Do people actually log in to youtube now?

Here's a little tip... YouTube never asks for a login for embedded videos. You can always modify the URL to mimic an embeded video in order to bypass the login crap.

If the original URL looks like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXXXXXX

Then just change it to this:
www.youtube.com/embed/XXXXXXXX

Hope that helps

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 15:02 The Pyro

This video blew me away in comparison to the last couple RAGE gameplay vids. It looks a helluva lot more fun ...

My sentiments exactly. I was decidedly underwhelmed by the last RAGE trailer I saw (about a week ago I guess?), but this one actually makes the game look fun. I particularly enjoyed the last segment of the clip, during which multiple mutants start swarming out of the ruined city landscape. There's hope for this game yet.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
1. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 15, 2011, 12:18 The Pyro

So at the end of this huge ARG is a secret message which basically says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!" Buy more games and maybe we'll release Portal 2 early!

Rats, I was rather hoping to play some Portal 2 this weekend. I'm not really interested in any of those Potato Sack games, and I'm certainly not going to buy them just for the privilege of maybe helping Portal 2 get released a tad earlier.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2011, 12:50 The Pyro

Ok, now I'm intrigued. Where is this famous chili recipe?  

News Comments > John Carmack RAGE Interview
1. Re: John Carmack RAGE Interview Apr 13, 2011, 09:52 The Pyro

If we were to uncompress all the data in here, it would be nearly a terabyte. This has to come down to fit on 3 DVDs or one Blu-ray.

?! Please tell he's joking? They're actually struggling to fit the highly-compressed installer onto 3 DVDs? I would have to buy another hard drive just to install this sucker!

Megatexture hardly seems appropriate... more like gigatexture.

28. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 10, 2011, 16:11 The Pyro

* The scenery and lighting look fantastic

* It's concerning that the trailer shows the exact same mutant getting killed a dozen times or more. It looks like he's always charging at the player in the exact same pose, too, with that spiked club held high in its right hand.

* The animations looked sub-par, no more advanced than Doom 3's. Is there a difference between the PC and console animation systems? Maybe I've been spoiled by Valve games recently... it just seemed like outdated technology.

* The trailer didn't show anything exciting. Shoot a mutant with this gun. Shoot another mutant (probably the same mutant) with a different gun. Zoom in, shoot another mutant. Meh.

* I don't remember seeing more than two or three mutants together in any particular fight. I hope this isn't an indication of serious engine limitations.

News Comments > L4D2 Cold Stream Beta
7. Re: L4D2 Cold Stream Beta Mar 23, 2011, 22:09 The Pyro

It's being made by the L4D team at Valve. Check out the blog post this story links to, they make it really clear.

The following text was taken directly from the L4D blog posts. Emphasis mine.

Matthew Lourdelet (2 Evil Eyes) has been working on a new community campaign Cold Stream.

So it's a community map, not a Valve map.

5. Re: L4D2 Cold Stream Beta Mar 23, 2011, 19:37 The Pyro

Does bug reporting mean you'll actually fix the bugs valve?

Unless I'm mistaken, this map is NOT produced by Valve. It's a community-produced map which is being released via official channels.

3. Re: L4D2 Cold Stream Beta Mar 23, 2011, 11:29 The Pyro

I played a couple rounds last night. Campaign played well in co-op mode. Versus was absolutely brutal due to numerous opportunities for instant death - this may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective.

Even more than L4D1's Blood Harvest, this campaign has a lot of terrain which is not flat. Rolling hills, rocks, etc... The upshot of this is that you need to do a bit more vertical aiming to shoot the common infected that are running at you. It takes a bit more skill than the typical one-mouse-axis aiming you need in most urban campaigns.

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Today
2. Re: Civilization V Patch Today Mar 1, 2011, 09:50 The Pyro

as it's incredibly irritating when suddenly every AI player declares war in one turn

Irritating, but ultimately profitable in my experience The AI still sucks at waging war, so unless you're just hopelessly outnumbered you can hold them off indefinitely. They'll eventually offer huge concessions in order to get a peace treaty.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Original Mutations Return Friday
7. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Original Mutations Return Friday Feb 22, 2011, 08:27 The Pyro

Achievements have pros and cons... I think they're very beneficial when players are encouraged to try new things that they wouldn't have attempted otherwise. On the other hand, multiplayer achievements sometimes encourage players to do *stupid* things that they wouldn't have attempted otherwise, and thus ruining the game for everyone else involved.

In particular I remember there was a Starcraft 2 achievement for winning X number of team games VS. computer opponents. The system was sortof buggy in that it would give you credit for a win if you left the game and your team won without you. This caused a flood of new players to join team games and immediately quit. They all just wanted to rack up wins for the achievement, caring nothing for the teammates they just deserted.

14. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 08:50 The Pyro

Did anyone else notice that the character animations seemed rather choppy? It stuck out in my mind partly because the camera movement was so fluid in comparison. Also, the dust clouds kicked up by the tires of the buggy looked... bleh. And here I thought dust clouds were pretty much a solved problem as far as gaming was concerned.

Oh, but the texture detail is phenomenal. Probably a good thing since id is trying to demo its new megatexture stuff

News Comments > On Dungeon Siege III Stability
16. Re: On Dungeon Siege III Stability Feb 8, 2011, 09:32 The Pyro

I liked the first half of KOTOR2 but the second half was thoroughly underwhelming

That's because they never finished the second half of the game. Unfortunately they bit off more than they could chew and ran out of time. What you see at the end of KOTOR2 is what they could throw together in order to ship the game with some sort of ending. The ending makes more sense if you read about all the stuff that was supposed to happen but got cut.

News Comments > NA Dungeon Siege III May 31
7. Re: NA Dungeon Siege III May 31 Feb 4, 2011, 10:50 The Pyro

It's a meta-RPG. You play the role of a click-happy gamer who can't kick his grinding habit.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Alien prequel- It's dead as disco. Jan 17, 2011, 08:39 The Pyro

advancements in cinematography since 1979

Have there been any advancements in cinematography since then? IMO the cinematography in Alien was perfect. I saw the movie in the theater when it was re-released a few years back and I was totally amazed at how well it has stood the test of time (especially the sound!). The Alien itself looks a wee bit fake in a couple scenes, but that's hardly a reason to redo the entire film. The creature only gets one or two minutes screen time anyway.

News Comments > Portal 2 Interview
7. Re: Portal 2 Interview Nov 10, 2010, 09:34 The Pyro

necrosis wrote on Nov 9, 2010, 09:27:
The game was way to slow getting into it. I'm not a rocket scientist but damn, I had the mechanics down by the second level. Why 5-7 of them to get the "alt" fire and another few to get to the actually challenging maps?

I had the same experience, but then I watched a family member struggle with the first several training levels. He eventually "got it" and was able to complete the game, but the mechanics were not nearly as intuitive to him.

In short, pacing is not universal, and the majority of Valve's customer base is slower at this kind of stuff.

News Comments > StarCraft II Race Trailers
2. Re: StarCraft II Race Trailers Nov 8, 2010, 19:01 The Pyro

Ok, I have not played SC2 or been that interested in it, but those who have .... did it live up to the hype or has it fallen short?

The single-player campaign is very well done and definitely worth playing if you enjoyed SC1. By itself, though, the campaign probably doesn't justify the current $60 price point. If you only play single-player then I would recommend waiting until the price comes down.

If you have friends with whom you can enjoy the multiplayer portion of the game then the price is much more reasonable. The sheer variety of custom game types is staggering. Someone even managed to implement a racing game (similar to Mario-cart) as a custom map. There's tons of value in the multiplayer capabilities of SC2 that will only get better as the community continues to mature and produce new content.

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
3. Re: StarCraft II Patched Oct 15, 2010, 09:51 The Pyro

This is slightly off-topic, but rushing (or rather anti-rushing) is one of the reasons I always liked Total Annihilation's 1v1 gameplay better than StarCraft. Each player's commander is so much more powerful than early units that rushing is almost never a threat (beyond minor economic harassment).  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2
29. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Sacrifice DLC & Mac L4D2 Oct 6, 2010, 09:08 The Pyro

Played through the new campaign in Versus mode twice last night. Overall it's a good campaign. As an L4D1 player, though, it feels really strange shooting zombies in broad daylight

We encountered bugs in both playthroughs. Not sure if that's because of the patch or the new campaign. In one game the auto shotgun was bugged such that character animations screwed up for anyone using it. This bug affected everyone on the server, not just me.

Also, the tank in the train car was somehow triggered before we opened the door which caused some confusion. Everyone was running away due to the tank music, but the big guy was still locked in the train.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead/L4D2 The Sacrifice Trailer
6. Stop teasing me! Oct 1, 2010, 09:14 The Pyro

Seriously, Valve, all these teasers are getting annoying. Just release it already!

Great cinematic, though.

238 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo