Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
29. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 14:48 The Pyro

I never tried the C&C franchise, despite being a pretty big Total Annihilation fan. I like Starcraft, too, but the multiplayer isn't as appealing to me because of the heavy focus on mechanics (lol, and yet I watch SC2 all the time). How does C&C gameplay compare to those titles?

With TA I could play a multiplayer game at at a more relaxed pace and the mechanics left me enough time to actually think. With SC2 it feels like I'm playing speed chess... strategy is secondary to memorized timings and execution speed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 07:37 The Pyro

Skyrim does have insane amounts of content. I'm level 27, don't know how many dozens of hours played, a zillion quests pending on my log, and I've barely started the main quest. And I haven't seen a single dragon yet.

I think you need to do the first quest for the Jarl of Whiterun before random dragon encounters start happening (this quest is kindof your introduction to dragon-slaying). That's just a guess, though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 16:20 The Pyro

Something I noticed is some monitors are now forgoing DVI-inputs for HDMI. A problem for me since my video card only has DVI and S-Video. Apparently they come with adapters that let you convert DVI into HDMI. I'm a little wary of that method, is it a non-issue or are there problems associated with doing that?

A converter will not cause degradation. No signal conversion is required when going from DVI to HDMI (i.e. HDMI is backwards-compatible with DVI even though the connectors are shaped differently).

News Comments > New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month
33. Re: New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month Nov 8, 2011, 13:40 The Pyro

The term 'RPG' has been used so loosely for so long that it has almost lost its meaning completely. Nowdays it usually just means a game with interactive dialog.

With pen and paper RPGs the definition is pretty clear. An RPG is basically a game in which players are given a character with specific motivations, and the player's job is to make choices that fit those motivations. The DM will provide a setting, and ensure the player's choices have appropriate consequences. A story progression is nice and improves enjoyment of the game, but is not actually mandatory.

Should a game like Final Fantasy be called an RPG? IIRC Final Fantasy games don't even have dialog options! The story progresses as you talk to the right people at the right times, but there are very few choices to be made. The player controls several characters, but you can't make any choices for them other than skill/equipment selection. That's hardly more RPG-ish than Doom Guy choosing to use a shotgun or a BFG.

I would say that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have RPG dialog. The dialog system allows you to guide your character's motivations (although you're usually restricted to two choices), and there are decisions which have permanent consequences in the universe. Outside of the dialog, though, there is very little role-playing.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2011, 22:01 The Pyro

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but it felt so good to instagib with a railgun despite a 200 ping. It took me a long time to get accustomed to "unlagged" type games where you don't have to lead your targets with hitscan weapons.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 15:59 The Pyro

Now my nerd radar is got me interested. Would it be easy for you to repeat the same experiment with Chrome and see how many formats it supports?

Chrome support 10 formats when dragging hyperlinks. Both Chrome and Firefox support the text/x-moz-url format, which provides simple text data consisting of the URL on the 1st line and the page title on the 2nd line.

I saw only one data format shared by all 3 browsers (Chrome, IE9, Firefox) which includes the page title, and that was a standard FileGroupDescriptor/FileContents format(s). It basically just puts a shortcut file on the clipboard. I have no idea why Blue's HTML editor doesn't like the shortcut file provided by Firefox.

There's another possibility that I didn't think of earlier. Since it's the recipient's job to choose an available format, some programs might go with Format A over Format B just because it comes first in the list. In other words you could have Firefox and Chrome providing the exact same formats, but depending on the order in which they're added you might see different results. The recipient has to be the one to prioritize that stuff.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 16:14.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 14:54 The Pyro

I'm a developer. Please allow me to clear up any confusion regarding hyperlinks

Drag/drop operations in Windows cause data to be provided by the host application (e.g. Firefox) in a variety of formats (e.g. plain text, HTML, whatever else is applicable). It's up to the receiver to pick one those formats and handle it appropriately.

Using the latest version of Firefox (v7.0.1, downloaded today) I performed a simple test by dragging-and-dropping a hyperlink onto a custom application. I manually inspected the data associated with the drag/drop operation and saw 14 different data formats available, including HTML Format. The title of the linked page was included as part of the data.

I was able to drag hyperlinks into Windows Explorer without issues, and the title of the linked page showed up correctly.

Therefore Blue's problem must be caused by one of the following:
1) He's not running Windows, which invalidates my entire test
2) He's using an older version of Firefox which doesn't provide the same data formats when initiating a drag/drop operation.
3) His HTML editor doesn't support the data format(s) which Firefox uses to include the web page title in a dropped hyperlink.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
54. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:18 The Pyro

Had they contacted NVIDIA and ATI 6 months ago, I wonder if these problems would be here now.

Knowing how closely Carmack has worked with GPU vendors in years past, I would be extremely surprised if either nVidia or ATI had not been informed several months prior about driver issues affecting Rage. My guess is that nVidia and ATI had plenty of advance but were slow to deliver fixes, and id was forced to decide whether Rage should be released on schedule - hoping that driver updates would be available by launch date.

All of the above is pure speculation, but I know Carmack has mentioned working closely with both vendors in the past to address driver issues.

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
75. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 7, 2011, 10:28 The Pyro

I'm guessing that the 60 fps target framerate is not just for aesthetics; the physics engine may perform poorly, particularly in the racing portions of the game, if the framerate drops significantly below 60 fps.

It appears that the greatest strength of the megatexture technology is also its greatest weakness. The artists feel liberated, of course, since they can paint unique textures over every square inch without worrying about memory constraints. But the technology doesn't magically increase available VRAM, so when the volume of texture data grows large they must rely on the technology falling back on low-res textures as needed.

When artists are forced to deal with memory constraints up front then they can make artistic decisions about how to reduce memory usage. They could intelligently decide, "Yeah, we probably need to reuse or repeat some textures here," or perhaps, "This element of scenery looks nice but we don't have the memory budget for it, so let's cut it out." But when these decisions are given to the cold, unfeeling algorithms of the megatexture engine then the results aren't always up to modern standards of visual quality.

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
126. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 18:17 The Pyro

I think most are surprised at how these 5+ year old console's seem to run the game fine and people with PC's with way higher specs seem to have all sorts of issues, but, I havent played it so I'm blowing a bunch of smoke for all I know.

You're not blowing smoke; Carmack said as much during his keynote at this year's QuakeCon. The consoles give developers direct access to the hardware and therefore support more optimizations than PCs.

News Comments > MechWarrior Reboot News Nears
10. Re: MechWarrior Reboot News Nears Sep 29, 2011, 12:40 The Pyro

deadearth wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 11:11:
I'm sure it'll end up being a first person shooter with a cover system and regenerating health.

I kid, i kid.

I'm not crazy about EZ-mode cover, but I probably wouldn't mind having mechs that can crouch. They are humanoid after all I can't remember - did MW4 allow mechs to intentionally go prone and shoot from the ground?

News Comments > Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches
2. Re: Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches Sep 8, 2011, 13:56 The Pyro

The unfortunate issue I have with this game is that for obsessively competitive people (e.g. myself) it rapidly gets in the way of real life. Although it's possible to play only once per day, there's a definite competitive advantage to logging in more frequently. Your units are constantly on the move and gathering new intelligence - therefore it's often better to delay important spending decisions by 4, or 8, or however many hours needed to get the intel to make the best decision. So I find myself being compelled to check the game status at 3am.

That said, I do like the gameplay mechanics - seems like it would make a fun social/party game if you had sufficient workstations (so you didn't need to hotseat) and a way to speed up the turns.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2011, 13:56 The Pyro

Make sure to wear gloves when handling it

No kidding! I don't know if I've just got weak skin or what, but the last time I sliced jalapenos (less than a dozen) without gloves, my hands burned for two days. It took me hours to fall asleep the first night because it was so painful. Ironically the peppers themselves were eaten without incident

The peppers try to trick you, too. The juice doesn't burn your skin immediately. It takes several minutes for it to soak in before you start to feel it. Once you feel the heat it's too late to to wash it off (trust me, I tried everything in the kitchen: milk, lemon juice, vinegar, etc...)

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 13:50 The Pyro

Scariest moment of my life was when the driver of a large pickup (towing a trailer full of pointy yard tools no less) realized that he was about to miss his exit and decided to cut across three lanes of traffic. I barely saw him coming in time. I swerved right and missed being hit by less than 6 inches.

To make matters worse I was in a middle lane, and had no time to check my mirrors when swerving. I just got lucky that nobody was there.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
12. Re: RAGE Trailer Jul 1, 2011, 08:43 The Pyro

Hrm, I would like to watch this trailer, however Youtube is asking for a login, as demanded by the uploader? Wtf is this bullshit? Do people actually log in to youtube now?

Here's a little tip... YouTube never asks for a login for embedded videos. You can always modify the URL to mimic an embeded video in order to bypass the login crap.

If the original URL looks like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXXXXXX

Then just change it to this:
www.youtube.com/embed/XXXXXXXX

Hope that helps

25. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 19, 2011, 15:02 The Pyro

This video blew me away in comparison to the last couple RAGE gameplay vids. It looks a helluva lot more fun ...

My sentiments exactly. I was decidedly underwhelmed by the last RAGE trailer I saw (about a week ago I guess?), but this one actually makes the game look fun. I particularly enjoyed the last segment of the clip, during which multiple mutants start swarming out of the ruined city landscape. There's hope for this game yet.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
1. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 15, 2011, 12:18 The Pyro

So at the end of this huge ARG is a secret message which basically says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!" Buy more games and maybe we'll release Portal 2 early!

Rats, I was rather hoping to play some Portal 2 this weekend. I'm not really interested in any of those Potato Sack games, and I'm certainly not going to buy them just for the privilege of maybe helping Portal 2 get released a tad earlier.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2011, 12:50 The Pyro

Ok, now I'm intrigued. Where is this famous chili recipe?  

News Comments > John Carmack RAGE Interview
1. Re: John Carmack RAGE Interview Apr 13, 2011, 09:52 The Pyro

If we were to uncompress all the data in here, it would be nearly a terabyte. This has to come down to fit on 3 DVDs or one Blu-ray.

?! Please tell he's joking? They're actually struggling to fit the highly-compressed installer onto 3 DVDs? I would have to buy another hard drive just to install this sucker!

Megatexture hardly seems appropriate... more like gigatexture.

28. Re: RAGE Trailer Apr 10, 2011, 16:11 The Pyro

* The scenery and lighting look fantastic

* It's concerning that the trailer shows the exact same mutant getting killed a dozen times or more. It looks like he's always charging at the player in the exact same pose, too, with that spiked club held high in its right hand.

* The animations looked sub-par, no more advanced than Doom 3's. Is there a difference between the PC and console animation systems? Maybe I've been spoiled by Valve games recently... it just seemed like outdated technology.

* The trailer didn't show anything exciting. Shoot a mutant with this gun. Shoot another mutant (probably the same mutant) with a different gun. Zoom in, shoot another mutant. Meh.

* I don't remember seeing more than two or three mutants together in any particular fight. I hope this isn't an indication of serious engine limitations.

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo