Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 244 (Novice)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
30. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 The Pyro

I don't think a peripheral would make sense because hardware just isn't that profitable on its own, and it wouldn't strengthen Valve's core business.

The only way Valve can grow its revenue is by selling more games on Steam. Their existing customers already buy lots of games, so Valve needs to grow their customer base. That means increasing the number of gaming-capable machines. A bare-bones PC/SteamBox which connects to a TV is a logical choice.

Although hardware isn't profitable (Apple products excepted), Sony and Microsoft are unlikely partners; the PlayStation and XBOX platforms are direct competitors with a strong interest in controlling digital distribution. Therefore Valve needs their own box to ensure that they can control the digital distribution service (i.e. Steam), which is how they make all their money.

I doubt Valve would want to compete with Dell et al for sales of actual PCs. Therefore it's more likely that Valve is working on some sort of Steam-enabled console with a price point similar to the XBOX.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
51. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 20:49 The Pyro

Sounds to me like "free-to-play" is just a thinly veiled demo in this instance. I don't see why people have a problem with that; the full price for unlocking everything is very reasonable, and it's great that they even allow you to grind the unlocks if you don't want to pay for it. I was going to try the game but the website appears to be down at the moment.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 10:47 The Pyro

Rhino wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:13:
As an archer I'm slightly curious to see just how many ways that there are to show "arrow slamming into a guy" in a cinematic fashion.

Our hero stoops in the cover of dense foliage and draws his bowstring taught. A dark hood shields his eyes from the high noon sun, casting his face in shadow as he lines up the shot.

With a gentle and almost casual precision, the string is released and the arrow springs from the bow.

We see now from the arrow's perspective as it races toward its mark. Only the target is in focus; all else is a blur. Caught completely unaware, the victim stands almost motionless until the arrow connects with his flesh. Then the pain hits him.

"GAAAHHH! MY KNEE! WHY IS IT ALWAYS IN THE KNEE!"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2012, 13:39 The Pyro

I'd vote for year-round DST. I hate not having any daylight hours after getting home from work.  

News Comments > Terraria Grounded
10. Re: Terraria Grounded Feb 23, 2012, 11:33 The Pyro

The end of official new content can actually be a good thing if you think about it. Modders no longer have to worry about future changes breaking their mods, so they're free to improve more aspects of the game.

I agree that the volume of content added since release is quite impressive. I find it ridiculous that anyone would stop their feet and demand more, especially given the game's low price point.

In the future I hope to see more mods which improve the world generation process. There's a lot of room for cool stuff there - I'd love to dive into it myself if I had time.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch
7. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Feb 15, 2012, 07:44 The Pyro

If you take the time (and it really doesn't take much) to learn the symbols, you'll soon discover why many other roguelike players prefer ASCII over graphics: symbols are actually easier on the eyes and quicker to identify compared to sprites at that size. That's not necessarily the case on a larger scale, but with Dwarf Fortress you want the tiles to be relatively small.

I do recommend, however, that you use a different tileset than the default font. I prefer a 16x16 tileset by Savok that can be downloaded from the DF wiki.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2012, 12:51 The Pyro

How does freezing enhance the flavor?

I'm wondering because generally, freezing messes up food by the expanding water particles punching holes in cells (for meat/plants) then when it thaws, proteins and fluids etc escape from those holes

I have no idea why it works. Most foods do not taste as good to me after being frozen, but a few things actually taste better. In particular there's a spaghetti meat sauce recipe my family eats which definitely tastes better after freezing it.

News Comments > A Game of Dwarves Details; Trailer
1. Re: A Game of Dwarves Details; Trailer Jan 21, 2012, 16:43 The Pyro

Toady One (developer of Dwarf Fortress) has mentioned that he's been approached a few times with proposals for making a more commercial Dwarf Fortress. I wonder if this game is from one of the companies that approached him.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
25. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 14:35 The Pyro

Jerykk wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 12:33:
You guys are acting like Portal 1 was demanding or something. Portal 1 was a joke.

You may laugh, but my wife needed help to get past some of the later puzzles. She knew what she needed to do but didn't have enough mouse skill to pull it off. It was very frustrating for her. Fortunately she was able to navigate all the way through Portal 2 without assistance, and the game was very enjoyable for her.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
16. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 12:25 The Pyro

Matshock wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 11:56:
Tiny map slices and no demands made on mouse/keyboard users took much of the excitement out of the gameplay.

On the other hand, there's a very large audience (my wife included) who love solving puzzles but have zero mouse/keyboard skills. I think Valve made the right decision by making Portal 2 more accessible to that market, as it's not primarily an action game.

Also, note that Portal games do not have a difficulty setting. Newbies would have no recourse for enjoying the game if their mouse/keyboard skills aren't up to snuff.

I'm sure if HL3 or Episode 3 comes out then there will be plenty of demand placed on mouse/keyboarder skills. How about lobbing Magnusson devices at Striders from 100 yards away? And you can always crank up the difficulty in an FPS.

News Comments > GOG.com Sale; Empire Earth for Free
3. Re: GOG.com Sale; Empire Earth for Free Dec 12, 2011, 11:55 The Pyro

The sale must have been succesful... I can't buy anything off their site due to servers being too busy.  

News Comments > BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013
17. Re: BioWare Developing C&C Generals 2 for 2013 Dec 11, 2011, 19:32 The Pyro

Rossafur wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 16:57:
There's nothing in the term "Real-Time Strategy" that mandates base-building.

The term doesn't necessarily imply base-building, but the decision tree which follows from base-building is what typically distinguishes strategy games from tactical simulators. In both turn-based and real-time strategy games the players must "fight against the clock" to implement their strategies quickly, and base-building is one of the ways that real-time strategy games ensure that the clock keeps ticking.

For example, in chess the players fight to develop their strong pieces and also protect their King in as few moves as possible; if either player is too slow to implement their strategy then the opposing player can take advantage of vulnerabilities to create a tactical advantage.

Similarly, in Starcraft players must optimize their build order to quickly establish the technology and economy needed for their end-game strategy. If you build your base inefficiently then you will be outgunned, outnumbered, or both. The strategy of the game is not just how you move your units or which units you build, but also how you plan to efficiently obtain that technology without dying.

So basically the base-building component acts as a sort of timer in RTS games. If you play too slowly or if your strategy is inefficient then your opponent's macro will overwhelm you. Without the base-building aspect then it becomes a simple war of attrition which offers less depth of strategy.

News Comments > EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree
29. Re: EA's Command & Conquer Domain Spree Dec 5, 2011, 14:48 The Pyro

I never tried the C&C franchise, despite being a pretty big Total Annihilation fan. I like Starcraft, too, but the multiplayer isn't as appealing to me because of the heavy focus on mechanics (lol, and yet I watch SC2 all the time). How does C&C gameplay compare to those titles?

With TA I could play a multiplayer game at at a more relaxed pace and the mechanics left me enough time to actually think. With SC2 it feels like I'm playing speed chess... strategy is secondary to memorized timings and execution speed.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 07:37 The Pyro

Skyrim does have insane amounts of content. I'm level 27, don't know how many dozens of hours played, a zillion quests pending on my log, and I've barely started the main quest. And I haven't seen a single dragon yet.

I think you need to do the first quest for the Jarl of Whiterun before random dragon encounters start happening (this quest is kindof your introduction to dragon-slaying). That's just a guess, though.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2011, 16:20 The Pyro

Something I noticed is some monitors are now forgoing DVI-inputs for HDMI. A problem for me since my video card only has DVI and S-Video. Apparently they come with adapters that let you convert DVI into HDMI. I'm a little wary of that method, is it a non-issue or are there problems associated with doing that?

A converter will not cause degradation. No signal conversion is required when going from DVI to HDMI (i.e. HDMI is backwards-compatible with DVI even though the connectors are shaped differently).

News Comments > New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month
33. Re: New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month Nov 8, 2011, 13:40 The Pyro

The term 'RPG' has been used so loosely for so long that it has almost lost its meaning completely. Nowdays it usually just means a game with interactive dialog.

With pen and paper RPGs the definition is pretty clear. An RPG is basically a game in which players are given a character with specific motivations, and the player's job is to make choices that fit those motivations. The DM will provide a setting, and ensure the player's choices have appropriate consequences. A story progression is nice and improves enjoyment of the game, but is not actually mandatory.

Should a game like Final Fantasy be called an RPG? IIRC Final Fantasy games don't even have dialog options! The story progresses as you talk to the right people at the right times, but there are very few choices to be made. The player controls several characters, but you can't make any choices for them other than skill/equipment selection. That's hardly more RPG-ish than Doom Guy choosing to use a shotgun or a BFG.

I would say that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 have RPG dialog. The dialog system allows you to guide your character's motivations (although you're usually restricted to two choices), and there are decisions which have permanent consequences in the universe. Outside of the dialog, though, there is very little role-playing.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2011, 22:01 The Pyro

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but it felt so good to instagib with a railgun despite a 200 ping. It took me a long time to get accustomed to "unlagged" type games where you don't have to lead your targets with hitscan weapons.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 15:59 The Pyro

Now my nerd radar is got me interested. Would it be easy for you to repeat the same experiment with Chrome and see how many formats it supports?

Chrome support 10 formats when dragging hyperlinks. Both Chrome and Firefox support the text/x-moz-url format, which provides simple text data consisting of the URL on the 1st line and the page title on the 2nd line.

I saw only one data format shared by all 3 browsers (Chrome, IE9, Firefox) which includes the page title, and that was a standard FileGroupDescriptor/FileContents format(s). It basically just puts a shortcut file on the clipboard. I have no idea why Blue's HTML editor doesn't like the shortcut file provided by Firefox.

There's another possibility that I didn't think of earlier. Since it's the recipient's job to choose an available format, some programs might go with Format A over Format B just because it comes first in the list. In other words you could have Firefox and Chrome providing the exact same formats, but depending on the order in which they're added you might see different results. The recipient has to be the one to prioritize that stuff.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 16:14.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 14:54 The Pyro

I'm a developer. Please allow me to clear up any confusion regarding hyperlinks

Drag/drop operations in Windows cause data to be provided by the host application (e.g. Firefox) in a variety of formats (e.g. plain text, HTML, whatever else is applicable). It's up to the receiver to pick one those formats and handle it appropriately.

Using the latest version of Firefox (v7.0.1, downloaded today) I performed a simple test by dragging-and-dropping a hyperlink onto a custom application. I manually inspected the data associated with the drag/drop operation and saw 14 different data formats available, including HTML Format. The title of the linked page was included as part of the data.

I was able to drag hyperlinks into Windows Explorer without issues, and the title of the linked page showed up correctly.

Therefore Blue's problem must be caused by one of the following:
1) He's not running Windows, which invalidates my entire test
2) He's using an older version of Firefox which doesn't provide the same data formats when initiating a drag/drop operation.
3) His HTML editor doesn't support the data format(s) which Firefox uses to include the web page title in a dropped hyperlink.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
54. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 00:18 The Pyro

Had they contacted NVIDIA and ATI 6 months ago, I wonder if these problems would be here now.

Knowing how closely Carmack has worked with GPU vendors in years past, I would be extremely surprised if either nVidia or ATI had not been informed several months prior about driver issues affecting Rage. My guess is that nVidia and ATI had plenty of advance but were slow to deliver fixes, and id was forced to decide whether Rage should be released on schedule - hoping that driver updates would be available by launch date.

All of the above is pure speculation, but I know Carmack has mentioned working closely with both vendors in the past to address driver issues.

244 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo