Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 258 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna Gold
15. Working Titles Oct 24, 2003, 15:08 The Pyro

Dungeon Siege: Funding Dungeon Siege 2
Dungeon Siege: The Mod That Wasn't Free
Dungeon Siege: Now with 100% More Story (increasing dialog to two full pages!)

All criticisms aside, Dungeon Siege is absolutely beautiful with 3D glasses.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On DOOM 3 Framerates
21. Why 60? I think I can answer that... Oct 22, 2003, 19:34 The Pyro

I think I know why he has limited the game to 60 Hz.

Their goal is to ensure that ALL players, regardless of system specs, run the internal game logic at the same speed of 60 Hz. That way, the physics and stuff should give the exact same results on every computer system. Consequently, there won't be special jumps and moves that can be executed on one system but not another.

So why not run the simulation faster? I'm guessing it's so that slower PCs can keep up. The Doom 3 has a LOT going on behind the scenes compared to the previous Quake games - more involved physics calculations, per-polygon hit detection, etc... thus it's going to take a lot of CPU power just to run the game logic, nevermind rendering the frames. Running the game logic faster than 60 Hz on a slow machine may not be possible.

Summary:
- Game logic must run at the same speed on all systems to be fair
- Slower systems won't have enough horsepower to run the game logic faster than 60 Hz
- Thus the game logic must be capped at 60 Hz to be fair.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 19:35.

News Comments > Steam Update
13. Good news Oct 21, 2003, 18:17 The Pyro

Looks like Valve is back into the groove of actually working on software. Hope we get a Half-Life 2 status report soon.

News Comments > Epic & Microsoft
14. Re: Megagames.... Sep 16, 2003, 22:44 The Pyro

Aah, I remember when they were just making pinball games...

Way, way back when their name used to be Potamic Games (I think that's correct) they released Z.Z.T. - an incredibly fun ANSI-graphics text game. It was one of the first games ever to include a world builder ( with a build-in scripting engine, no less! ) that would allow you to create your own levels. That game totally kicked ass. I spent HOURS designing ZZT levels, and I know several other people who did the same (including both of my brothers).

Now if only someone could implement a scripting system that easy for a decent online multiplayer RPG... like, say, Neverwinter Nights...

News Comments > Source Engine Trailer
22. High Dynamic Range Sep 11, 2003, 22:38 The Pyro

Their High Dynamic Range stuff looks really, really good. That's something that Carmack has been pushing for years and, I think, something that is not in the Doom 3 engine. I hope they make good use of this effect in the game.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, watch the movie and observe how bright the sky appears through the cracks of the ceiling while the player is indoors. Great stuff right there. Previously it wasn't very easy to do overbright effects like that - brightness was an integer 0 to 255, which just isn't a big enough range for those kinds of calculations.

News Comments > AMD Quake III DLLs
21. Re: Hmm... Sep 9, 2003, 15:53 The Pyro

you have vsync on probably dude. make sure it is off in your adapter properties and in game.

This is just a personal preference of mine, but I always like vsync to be turned ON. I can see the tearing effects whenever it's off, and it bothers me... Besides, what's the use of extra frames if your monitor never displays them?

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 15:54.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:11 The Pyro

A follow-up to my anti-gravity post...

One question that might occur to you is "If the object is really flying why do we care if it's using real anti-gravity or not?"

Because a primary application of anti-gravity technology would be space travel / propulsion in a vaccuum. Any system that isn't REAL anti-gravity isn't going to work in space. There's no air in space to provide an ion wind, and there's no ground to push off of with magnets. So it does matter what phenomenon is really causing the object to fly.

39. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2003, 15:05 The Pyro

Laugh if you will, but I have seen testings of US anti-grav aircraft. It wasnt glamorous, but it was real.

I have no doubt that they can get stuff to fly using non-standard propulsion systems, but I DO doubt that it's anti-gravity - even if they THINK it's anti-gravity. In every recent case (and there have been more than one) where some scientist has claimed to discover anti-gravity the effect has been shown to be caused by some other phenomenon, such as magnetism or ion wind. NASA was investigating at least one such claim recently, without any luck.

12. 'Black World' technology Sep 9, 2003, 08:52 The Pyro

Anti-gravity propulsion? Haha. This "Nick Easen" from CNN should do a little more digging... While I can believe that a company like Boeing might have thrown a few dollars in the pot to investigate the issue, I'm extremely skeptical that "mysterious U.S. military craft using this kind of technology have been skirting the skies since the 1980s."

Anti-gravity would take an incredible amount of energy to work, if it could be done at all. Otherwise you could violate the law of conservation of energy by just turning on your anti-gravity shield and then "giving" a massive object a ton of potential energy for free as you lift it off the ground effortlessly.

News Comments > America's Army 2.0 Soon
13. Re: No subject Sep 4, 2003, 20:16 The Pyro

The rational of my college is that it uses too much bandwidth

Well then I certainly hope that they've blocked all those nasty peer-to-peer file sharing programs, since they use about 100x more bandwidth than games.

News Comments > DX2 & Thief 3 Movies
19. Matrix Revolutions Aug 19, 2003, 23:22 The Pyro

Did the Matrix Revolutions trailer seem a little odd to anyone else?

Between Morpheus not narrating and the lack of the stanard Matrix-esque music, it was almost hard to recognize the trailer as a legitimate part of the franchise. I was almost left with the feeling that some fan had gotten hold of the footage and peiced together a 3rd party trailer from it.

News Comments > DX2 & Thief 3 Movies
13. Re: w00t! Aug 19, 2003, 22:48 The Pyro

ok...what the hell is this torrent mean? I've seen it a few times, but have no clue.

BitTorrent is a great little program that takes the load off of file servers by letting everybody who is downloading a file share the parts they've already downloaded with other users. When more people download a file, instead of the download speeds getting slower, they actually get better.

I definitely recommend using BitTorrent to download stuff whenever possible. The fastest download speeds I've ever had on my connection were achieved while downloading stuff with it.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 22:49.

19. Where is thy sting? Aug 13, 2003, 12:25 The Pyro

Immortality...

Odd, wasn't there just recently a different scientific article arguing that life expectancy still isn't expected to exceed 120 years in the near future? Their claim of 5000 years by the year is 2100 is just absurd, IMO. Even if they manage to address critical organ failures, etc... there's still the problem of brain deterioration and memory loss. And I wouldn't want anyone replacing my brain with pig innards...

59. Re: Misc. Aug 6, 2003, 13:55 The Pyro

#2. Mini-nukes. *sigh* Just when I think it can't get much worse with this administration, I am painfully reminded how consistently wrong I am on that presumption. No nukes is good nukes.

How so? IMO, it's always good to have more options. You want to achieve your objectives while causing as little collateral damage as possible. That's the whole point of mini-nukes. Extreme power, but contained within a much smaller radius. It's a weapon that has actual tactical uses, as opposed to "regular" nukes - which are pretty much only used as insurance against other people with nukes.

News Comments > DOOM 3 at QuakeCon
40. Re: Hmmm Jul 25, 2003, 08:24 The Pyro

I wonder how much the interface of Radiant (the mapeditor) has evolved to make creating so much detail a bit easier than it would in the Quake3 version (GtkR 1.3).

Good news for you on that front. The map editor is now built into the game. You can drag objects around inside of the game engine and see the actual in-game lighting effects in real time.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 08:24.

36. Re: Hmmm Jul 24, 2003, 23:47 The Pyro

Modding in Doom3 will be harder. NOT because of programing, but because of the ammount of work that needs to go into the levels/models/textures.

Exactly. I believe there's a minimum of something like 5 pieces of artwork that go into making just a single texture or skin in the Doom 3 engine. Texture map, bump map, normal map, specular map... can't remember the last one. Point is, creating content for this game is a LOT of work.

24. The 4 player limit Jul 24, 2003, 15:28 The Pyro

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 4 player limit was because they were leaning more towards a peer-to-peer style network model rather than use a client-server model.

9. W00t Jul 24, 2003, 11:48 The Pyro

Only three weeks...

I strongly suspected that id would have something playable for QuakeCon this year. That's why the rumors of a Doom 3 delay seem so odd to me. Having seen the game in person at _last_ year's QuakeCon, the engine and development tools (I just LOVE the in-game-engine map editing) should have been quite polished for at least a year now. Surely they can have this guy ready to ship by Christmas?

22. Re: FrontPage Jul 2, 2003, 15:36 The Pyro

But I get all my stuff from www.newegg.com - good prices, great service, I've never had a problem with any of my orders.

I'll second that recommendation. I've ordered stuff from them twice now (quite a lot of stuff, I might add) and haven't experienced any problems. My current system is 95% components from newegg, I believe

News Comments > UT2003 Deathball
7. Re: bah... Jun 30, 2003, 12:51 The Pyro

I went back to the original UT recently and still think it’s better then UT03. If only they’d done more of the same instead of reinventing and thereby fucking up a great game.

Ah, but then it would get bad reviews for just copying the old version of the game and failing to innovate

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 12:52.

258 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo