Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
30. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 21:42 The Pyro

For comparison, the budget for Skyrim was $85 million. This ain't there yet. But personally I think it's crazy for the general public to dump so much money into an unproven product. I've seen lots of well-intentioned developers fail to deliver over the years.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Galactic Command Echo Squad SE Demo
9. Re: Galactic Command Echo Squad SE Demo Mar 16, 2014, 20:03 The Pyro

Before even clicking on the story I knew that one of you guys would have invoked the obligatory incantation. I was not disappointed  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2013, 20:30 The Pyro

IMO the rage is pretty much confined to the forums, which are not representative of the player base at large. The negativity drives more level-headed opinions away. The forums are just no longer a good place to discuss the game.

The nigh-unanimous opinion of my mercenary group, which consists of nearly 70 competitive and casual pilots, is that the game is currently more balanced and more stable than at any other time. 3PV is a complete non-issue for us; personally I think much more difficult to use.

For us the main issue with the game, which we hope will be resolved very shortly, are the delays in community warfare. With only two game modes and no community warfare the game is starting to feel stale for some veteran pilots.

News Comments > Mega Man-Inspired Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter
14. Re: Mega Man-Inspired Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter Sep 2, 2013, 09:48 The Pyro

Backed. If nothing else we should at least get a nice soundtrack out of it I loved the mega man music, especially Mega Man 3. Now to go find it on YouTube...

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Preorders
11. Re: MechWarrior Online Preorders Jun 26, 2013, 18:43 The Pyro

I'm a founder and I'll probably pick up at least a mid-tier Phoenix package also. The game is still enjoyable to me, though I'll admit I'm playing less frequently these days having experienced most of the available content. I'm eagerly anticipating 12v12 and also CW.

My biggest fear is that once the game is officially "released" the community won't be large enough to support continued development. But without player data (which hasn't been available for months) any underlying trends are impossible to deduce.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit, though, if there had been a mass exodus from the forums. They're too noisy by far, and I hope the devs realize that the vocal minority on the forums are not representative of the player base at large.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: Ex-BioWare writer discusses... Jun 20, 2013, 20:39 The Pyro

Drew's comments about the "original" plans for the Mass Effect ending sound awfully nebulous... like they had no idea who the Reapers were or what they wanted until they just made something up for ME3. That's generally not a good way to arrive at conclusion which is both satisfying for the audience and internally consistent.  

News Comments > UK Sales Charts
5. Re: UK Sales Charts Jun 17, 2013, 18:49 The Pyro

I don't own a PS3, but I've enjoyed watching Day[9]'s playthrough of it The game's intro in particular is fantastic.  

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Return Today
25. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Return Today May 9, 2013, 18:10 The Pyro

Doesn't the RMAH make a complete rollback impossible? If any of the cheaters sold items (acquired with duped gold) on the RMAH then they could have already cashed out. You can't retroactively remove the money from their account if it's not there.

If there were a rollback you'd end up with a lot of very unhappy bag holders.

On a slightly related note, I always liked how Kingdom of Loathing handled instances of too much money in the economy... they would create "money sinks", like the Penguin Mafia Raffle, to drain excess cash from the system. So players would mostly part with their ill-gotten gains voluntarily

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Payment Concerns
4. Re: MechWarrior Online Payment Concerns Mar 30, 2013, 18:56 The Pyro

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 18:13:
The fact that they only allow 8v8 matches with pre-made groups of 4 OR 8 (nothing in between

That's not quite accurate, BTW. You can group up with 2, 3, or 4 players and play against randoms. If you want more than 4, though, you must field an 8-man group. There are no randoms dropped in with 8-mans.

I hope they don't end up charging extra to create/join a merc unit; surely there can be some middle ground between hard-coded official units and a bazillion player-created guilds of 2 or 3 people.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic
31. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Opening Cinematic Jan 22, 2013, 20:27 The Pyro

Very impressive cinematic. I hope they've spent as much money on the game itself  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend
3. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 15, 2013, 21:56 The Pyro

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 21:51:
2012 saw the release of several tantalizing free to play games but unlike pringles you generally can only grind through just one. Planetside2, Tribes Asc, or this?

I play MWO regularly; the grind is not bad at all if you have premium time. New players are also given a major C-bill boost for their first 25 matches so that you can afford a mech quickly.

So far I enjoy MWO more than Tribes:Asc mainly due to the customization options. Tribes is a much more polished and stable game, though, especially in terms of network code. But whereas Tribes can be enjoyed alone I feel that the MWO experience pretty much requires Teamspeak or some other VoIP technology.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend
2. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 15, 2013, 21:52 The Pyro

Neither founders mechs nor hero mechs grant XP boosts; they grant C-bill boosts only. I'm surprised an official press release would make that mistake.

Also... the game is supposedly still in open beta, so why would they need a double XP weekend? Maybe they should finish the game first.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 2, 2012, 18:01 The Pyro

How come Borderlands 2 is #2 on this list, and yet if I click on the Top Sellers tab from store.steampowered.com it's not even listed in the top ten?  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patch Adds Camo, Bitching
3. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Adds Camo, Bitching Nov 27, 2012, 22:49 The Pyro

I'm still playing regularly; it's plenty of fun as long as you're on teamspeak or something similar. There's an unofficial teamspeak server with lots of regulars. IMO you need to be able to chat and coordinate with a group of people over several matches to get the most enjoyable experience. Between matches players will talk about their mech builds, how things worked well/badly in the previous match, what strategies to try next time, etc...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 4, 2012, 17:58 The Pyro

2. Left 4 Dead 2

Dang, those free weekends are insanely effective. L4D2 is ancient in gaming terms (more than a year old!) and yet it somehow comes back to #2, beating out XCOM and Borderlands 2?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed
11. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 20:24 The Pyro

I'm glad they decided to delay Open Beta - it definitely needs an extra week or two of bug fixing. The problem was that they rolled out a new version of CryEngine right before Open Beta was scheduled to start, resulting in a lot of bugs being introduced to what was otherwise a stable game.

All aspiring joystick users: save your joystick for the next space combat sim. This game requires more precision than a joystick can comfortably deliver. Granted, analog controls for turning would be nice... right now it's difficult to keep your crosshair on a stationary target while turning.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week
37. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Next Week Oct 11, 2012, 18:15 The Pyro

Tumbler wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 10:10:
You want to remove your large laser and use a ppc? Too bad! The only weapon you can mount here is a laser!

You picked a bad example; lasers and PPCs are both energy weapons and share the same hardpoints. You could definitely replace a large laser with a PPC (provided you've got enough tonnage). Ballistic weapons and missile weapons, however, are distinct.

The controls also bug me, the little bubble with a line which I guess is supposed to simulate head tracking? Hate it. Just feels wrong.

Ironically that's one of my favorite features The bubble designates where your arm-mounted weapons are pointed, while the crosshair is for torso-mounted weapons. Arms track faster and have a wider firing arc than your torso, which makes sense from a simulation perspective and it is consistent with the table-top game.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2012, 16:57 The Pyro

We live for the One. We die for the One. En'Tilza.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event
7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event Sep 22, 2012, 13:19 The Pyro

Suckage wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 22:00:
Does anyone play this still? I never managed to join a single multiplayer game: I'd always get kicked by the host. I guess it's one of these things meant to be played within your friends list.

I've probably played about 100 matches with random squads, maybe a bit more, and I've only been kicked once. I can't imagine why you would get kicked frequently unless you're trying to join one of the higher difficulties with a level 1 character or lousy weapons. That said, I haven't played ME3 in a couple months now. Maybe it's different?

Wow, I can't believe someone managed to grind out an 18,000 N7 level. That's obsession bordering on insanity.

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
13. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 20, 2012, 21:05 The Pyro

I was hoping to play with my brother this evening but neither of us has successfully linked Torchlight 2 to our Steam accounts yet. 404 errors. Oh well...  

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo