Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roger Norris

Real Name Roger Norris   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Pyro
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Software developer, long-time Blue's reader
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jul 10, 2000, 20:19
Total Comments 252 (Amateur)
User ID 6134

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
49. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 19:07 The Pyro

I bought the game during an early sale. The reviews were solid and I liked the first two moves. As a PC gamer, though, I was disappointed by the poor mouse options. There's no way to disable acceleration. I tried to muck through it using a controller, but didn't make it far.

Yes, it feels like you have to creep *everywhere* making the game painfully slow to play. Just wasn't my style.

Amazing atmosphere, though. I appreciate the attention to detail and the visual style of the 1st Alien film.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support
7. Re: Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support Apr 15, 2015, 18:00 The Pyro

I own AOW3 and its first expansion, Golden realms. I've had a lot of fun with them (200+ hours on Steam). The campaigns are good but I've probably spent more time playing random maps. IMO the game has a lot of replayability because of all the different race/class/magic specialization combos.

Compared to Civ 5 there's a much bigger focus on combat (IMO) and on finding a good mix of units that can support each other. There are some *really* devious unit combinations, and the fact that you get to customize your heros (and even equip them!) means that there's always plenty of stuff to min/max. If you're into that sortof thing.

I still have not tried multiplayer... kindof afraid to after reading on the forums about the crazy tricks those guys have figured out already

Finally... the map artwork is beautiful!

EDIT: I think a big reason I enjoy AOW3 is that the game promotes being active on the map. The treasure site mechanic means there's always stuff for your units to do (in addition to scouting), even in the first few turns of the game. Half the strategy is squeezing every last drop of usefulness from your troops. For example, if you can fight battle X a little more efficiently then maybe you can attack another site in the same turn, earning additional resources.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2015, 18:10.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic
27. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic Apr 8, 2015, 18:08 The Pyro

I am cautiously optimistic, but... wow, such violence! I hope they have not abandoned the gameplay ideal of having multiple paths to victory.  

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
40. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 12, 2015, 09:13 The Pyro

Agreed about multiplayer. I used it, it was kindof fun, but it was not a selling point for me with prior Descent titles. I most enjoyed zipping around in single player mode, trying to complete levels as quickly as possible. Even D3 was enjoyable like that (though there were definitely a smaller number of great levels in D3).  

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
20. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 10, 2015, 23:51 The Pyro

Loved descent. Having watched the video, my biggest reservation is level design. I have never seen voxel, destructible terrain done particularly well. I also worry that there will be too much stuff (e.g. stalactites) sticking out of the terrain. IMO a 6DOF shooter needs levels that flow very smoothly so that you can strafe near the walls without constantly crashing into random scenery. The previous Descent games, for example, used smooth or rounded corridors to facilitate fast paced combat (particularly for multiplayer).

Details are nice, but I worry that an excessive amount of "realism" in the caverns will be poor for gameplay. I want to fight robots, not rocks.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic
14. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Cinematic Mar 6, 2015, 18:19 The Pyro

I was looking for terrain popup. I could see it, but the effect was pretty subtle. Fairly impressive.

But videos like this ultimately don't tell you what you need to know about an engine. You can do some awfully impressive stuff when manpower is not an issue and you have an army of artists and developers at your disposal. The important question is: how much effort does it take to produce this stuff? What tools does the engine ship with in order to make your job easier?

Still, it's a good PR video for advertising their new business model

News Comments > Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M
13. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 7, 2015, 16:40 The Pyro

some even estimate that to be as high as 75% of society below the median intelligence

That would be mean intelligence, not median 50% are below median intelligence by definition.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2014, 22:54 The Pyro

Three and a half days for me. Finished as of this morning. I'm in Texas, though; amazing how quickly these things get around, isn't it? Alas, my poor wife just started day 1.  

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
24. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 17:30 The Pyro

lol, for a moment I thought they were giving away Age of Wonders III, the newest game which just came out this year... Great game, BTW. 'Fraid I can't comment much on the original as I only played the demo. It was fun IIRC.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $65M
23. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Nov 30, 2014, 20:46 The Pyro

Oh for the good old days, when comments lambasted the audacity of a game developer who dared debut their new AAA title at $60 instead of the more standard $50. Was it a Blizzard game that was the first? I can't remember...

I still hope to enjoy playing SC some day. But the wackiness of this funding campaign (anniversary sales on content before the game is even released? madness!) just keeps getting more surreal.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
64. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 13, 2014, 19:04 The Pyro

The interlacing in this video is extremely distracting. Does the game always look like that?  

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
47. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 9, 2014, 20:09 The Pyro

yuastnav wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 04:37:
Couldn't get myself to finish Origins.
Maybe people hyped it up too much but I really didn't like it that much. It wasn't bad but it was also no Baldur's Gate or Fallout. I had fun with it but it didn't hook me.

I had the same experience. After the glowing reviews I was expecting to love the game but it just didn't hold my attention... lost interest on 3 separate playthrough attempts.

News Comments > Transverse Folds
5. Re: Transverse Folds Oct 2, 2014, 19:44 The Pyro

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:39:
Does anyone know how much they ended up pulling in?

I think it was about $20k. Diddly-squat.

News Comments > Transverse Folds
2. Re: Transverse Folds Oct 2, 2014, 19:28 The Pyro

Correction: The story referenced does not say that the game is canceled at this time. Only the crowd funding campaign has been canceled.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
44. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 19:18 The Pyro

ESDF > WASD

Seriously, it's great having the little "nub" on the F key so you always know your hands are in the right position. Gives you easier access to more keys, too.

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
151. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 19:23 The Pyro

For reference, Microsoft is currently the 3rd largest company in the world with a market capitalization of $340 billion. They have 100,000 employees. This offer puts the value of Mojang at almost 1% of that... an indie game being valued at almost 1% of the dominant business software company on the planet!

It's ridiculous.

But of course this isn't real money, here... it's inflated shares of stock. If you try to cash out all at once then you destroy the value of your stock in the process. You still end up filthy rich, of course...

News Comments > Transverse Announced
28. Re: Transverse Announced Sep 10, 2014, 17:45 The Pyro

How are you enjoying the deep gameplay of Box Commander?

Not at all because I haven't pledged money to SC either. But I suspect they'll eventually release a decent game and I intend to try it.

News Comments > Transverse Announced
3. Re: Transverse Announced Sep 9, 2014, 18:22 The Pyro

Taken in isolation the video is fine and I'm always happy to see a new entry in the space sim genre. They've failed to answer the most important question, though, which is "why should anyone back this game instead of Star Citizen?" Also... I'm totally burnt out on the whole pre-release/crowd-funding fad.

But it's impossible to take the video in isolation because of MWO. I still play MWO regularly; I have no doubts that PGI is capable of delivering a playable game with fun mechanics, but their track record with "bigger stuff" is abysmal. I expect this game will deliver a decent space combat arena in short order and then stall on the whole "universe" thing. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but... most likely I'll be too busy playing Star Citizen to notice.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
13. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 14:22 The Pyro

I don't suppose Star Citizen's licensing fee is public knowledge? I'm curious how these deals are typically structured now that the F2P model is becoming more prevalent... Percentage of revenue?  

News Comments > Evolve in October
13. Re: Evolve in October May 22, 2014, 19:41 The Pyro

I don't understand how 4v1 could ever be balanced. In L4D balance was achieved by having survivors/infected switch sides, but that doesn't work with uneven numbers...

I still think L4D has some of the best competitive multiplayer action out there. That's it's biggest weakness, too, though... a full team is absolutely essential, so as soon as 1 guys leaves you're at a huge disadvantage. Also, the community is extremely caustic. I imagine new players would have a difficult time learning the Versus mode - others tend to immediately quit the server upon learning that there's a noob on their team.

252 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo