Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Elwood P. Dowd

Real Name Elwood P. Dowd   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LwoodPDowd
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Playing with yeast to help you live longer.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 00:39
Total Comments 119 (Novice)
User ID 60

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Super size me Jan 30, 2007, 00:03 LwoodPDowd

Now its gone.  
Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. New Stephen Hawking movie Oct 16, 2006, 14:08 LwoodPDowd

"An even briefer history of time"

or

"History of time II
this time it's personal"

My e. coli cures cancer!

24. Re: Cinema experience Jun 29, 2006, 07:18 LwoodPDowd

An old ex-girlfriend of mine didn't like it.
In her words:
I couldn't understand it

My e. coli cures cancer!

18. Re: AP Incorrectly Claims Scientists Pra Jun 28, 2006, 22:52 LwoodPDowd

This is very representative of how we get all of our news these days.

Lies and propaganda from one side get countered with lies and propaganda from the other side. Thats what fair and balanced is all about.

What would be nice would be actual reporting.

If you want to know what the lies and propaganda are, focus on the response from "congress".

It is a MAJORITY press release. It is a republican party press release made to look official. Its attempt to talk about the actual science discussed are repeats of talking points that have long since been disproven.

HOWEVER, when they talk about the general discussion of consensus calculations and especially the supposed reporting from the AP article, they are spot on. That AP article couldn't have been a bigger pile of shit.

My e. coli cures cancer!

39. Re: Completely and utterly OT Jun 6, 2006, 01:41 LwoodPDowd

I could give a rat's ass about this topic.

or

I couldn't give a rat's ass about this topic.

My e. coli cures cancer!

8. Re: Images ??? May 3, 2006, 01:56 LwoodPDowd

Proper link

http://www.worth1000.com/cache/contest/contestcache.asp?contest_id=10060&start=1&end=10&display=photoshop

My e. coli cures cancer!

9. Re: tom cruise strikes again! Mar 16, 2006, 02:36 LwoodPDowd

one last reference

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/south_park/index.jhtml

show this weeks episode should have been the trapped in the closet.
R. Kelly gives John Travolta and Tom Cruise until the count of three to come out of the closet.

My e. coli cures cancer!

8. Re: tom cruise strikes again! Mar 16, 2006, 02:33 LwoodPDowd

from the southparkstudios website
Posted: Mar 12, 2006
This week on South Park: Trapped in the Closet
Airs Wednesday at 10:00 P.M. and midnight

My e. coli cures cancer!

7. Re: tom cruise strikes again! Mar 16, 2006, 02:30 LwoodPDowd

When I set my dvr for it the program guide was for the trapped in the closet episode. Comedy central was also running promos for that episode. It was part of a collection of their most controversial episodes that had been running this month.  
My e. coli cures cancer!

54. Re: Will Ferrell Died Today Mar 14, 2006, 14:59 LwoodPDowd

I work at the Salk, right next to the glider port mentioned. I saw no activity yesterday afternoon (when I go out to smoke I am on the same side of the building as the glider port), and have heard nothing about an accident.

The fact that this supposedly happened yesterday (the accident happened at 2pm, it's only 12 now), and no news has broken yet should be strong evidence that it is bogus. Plus, if you want to get an idea of the reliability of the site, look at other stories on the site.

My e. coli cures cancer!

26. Re: Islands: Giganticism? Dec 30, 2005, 23:23 LwoodPDowd

Moving in the opposite direction, island species have also displayed a marked tendency to shrink in size -- a process known as "dwarfism" -- though "Mini-Kong" would probably be a flop as a sequel.

you might try reading next time.

On a side note. Does anyone else think the worth1000 photoshop gurus could use a dictionary?

My e. coli cures cancer!

19. Re: Knight Moves Problem Aug 25, 2005, 03:27 LwoodPDowd

65 on my first attempt. I'd try again, but autumns closing in.  
My e. coli cures cancer!

News Comments > AFTRA vs Gaming SAGs
5. Read Jun 22, 2005, 13:06 LwoodPDowd

Read the article. They got a raise in scale, not royalties.

The deal offered by leading gaming companies including Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news) and Activision Inc. (Nasdaq:ATVI - news) offered to boost wages for voice-over and other performers by 36 percent over the life of the contract. However, the unions were unable to obtain residuals, or a share in the revenues generated by the video games they perform in.

My e. coli cures cancer!

News Comments > Ritual Countdown, Testing Program, Sin II Tease?
79. Re: Shit Jun 18, 2005, 04:05 LwoodPDowd

Also represents a case where they the market fixed itself. Half-life didn't kill the sales of Sin, reports of it being a buggy ass game did.

They did eventually get the game fixed, and I enjoyed the crap out of it. Especially since I bought it for 10 bucks in the bargain bin.

My e. coli cures cancer!

News Comments > Ritual Countdown, Testing Program, Sin II Tease?
78. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 03:57 LwoodPDowd

Yeah jackass, just what this industry needs, the government to design some f*cked up regulations which only make money for lawyers.

Before suggesting so stupid, think first. If you could design the laws, what standard would you use? What percentage of hardware combinations does a bug have to show up on before the problem is actionable? How many frames per second is "playable", at what resolution and color depth? If something is not realistic enough? If it is not fun?

If you can't see how fucked up it would be already, consider that you are asking the government to set the standards. And what two industries would be lobbying hard to influence the standards? Trial lawyers and publishers. The consumer and the developers would get fucked.

Defective toys that can hurt childeren are recalled, but just because a toy sucks ass and your kid hates it, doesn't mean you can sue. And millions of toys break while kids are playing with them, should we clog the courts even further every time a kid drops and breaks a toy? After all, that is a fully reasonable and expected event for any toy sold for use by a child.

I don't have the time (or care enough) to explain more, so sit back and plan your lawsuit and then defense.

Oh, well a few more bullet points before I go.

If you're worried about compatibility or performance, wait for the demo. You can wait can't you?

If you want to find out about the game, use the internet. Not all sources of reviews are industry funded fuckstick. You don't have to buy the game the first day it is available.

There are tons of laws which can protect consumers. The EULA doesn't protect the industry from most of them. And it wouldn't take much of an effort for a lawyer to negate the whole thing. Contract by both sides? And for precedent, a few months back, a judge ruled the an internet company was not held liable for a violation of privacy statement set forth in their little click through. They argued and the judge agreed that no one reads the contracts and therefore they couldn't hold the company responsible for what they said in the clickthrough.

Opening shrinkwrap is not signing a contract.

My e. coli cures cancer!

80. Re: Can we change the topic? May 3, 2005, 04:06 LwoodPDowd

Forget about the damn religious nuts, can we get back to the fucking pedestrians.

Walk like you've driven a car. If you are walking in across an intersection, parking lot, where...fucking...ever, pick up the pace if you are holding up traffic. Don't fucking linger walking as slow as fucking possible.

If a long line of people have been crossing in front of a long line of cars, and there is just about to be enough of a break for at least one car to escape, don't start across. ASSHOLES!

When you are waiting at a corner for the light to change look at the cars coming at you, or step the fuck back from the corner. I want to make the fucking light, and if I have to slow down because I'm worried about your stupid oblivious ass walking into the intersection, I'm not going to fucking make it.

Religious nuts (including orthodox atheists) I can handle, just get the fuck out of my way while I'm in the car.

BTW, it's 2005, hit and run isn't supposed to be a felony, it's supposed to be a national sport.

My e. coli cures cancer!

News Comments > Bad Brains and Sam & Max?
7. Re: No subject Dec 5, 2004, 15:24 LwoodPDowd

Looks like they changed it voluntarily, not for legal reasons.
OOOPS, I guess if I had read the whole article I would have come to the mention of some vague legal issue.

"We wanted to have a name that would be more universal and more understanding and wouldn't alienate anybody," says mellow-sounding vocalist H.R. (Human Rights) from California, explaining the band's switch from Bad Brains to Soul Brains. "We wanted to erase the bad."

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsS/soul_brains.html

Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 15:32.

My e. coli cures cancer!

6. We will be able to live to 1,000 Dec 4, 2004, 22:18 LwoodPDowd

Not freaking likely and certainly not anytime soon. None of the advances in medicine to date has done a thing to increase the maximum life expectancy of humans. We are healthier when we are older and have increased the median age of death, but the maximum age hasn't changed.

Work with caloric restriction in mice shows a very moderate increase. The mice look are healthier up until they die, but still kick the bucket at the same time the oldest mice on a normal diet die. About the best result I've seen is nematodes that undergo gonadal ablation and are calorically restricted. If I remember right, they live about 3x longer. So cut off your nuts and starve yourself and you may live 200 or 300 years, but then again you will probably consider that 300 years too many. I'll keep my nuts and die young.

We are a long way away from working around telomeres and senesence. The mechanisms leading to aging are same mechanisms preventing unchecked growth (ie cancer.)

My e. coli cures cancer!

News Comments > More Half-Life 2 Preloads
18. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2004, 12:49 LwoodPDowd

I posted this theory in a dead thread late yesterday, I thought I'd kick it back out here.

I wonder if Tribes Vengence is one of the motivations behind the VU Valve lawsuit. With the purchase of Sierra, VU stands to make a much greater amount per unit off of Tribes:V than off of Half-Life2. They can continue negotiating with Valve over Steam and other issues with the threat of a 6 month delay which would cause Valve worry about missing out on the holiday season. In the mean time they can sell Tribes:V without losing sales to Half-life. Then just before Thanksgiving weekend, even if they haven't gotten all they want out of the negotiations, they release it to retail allowing them cash in on the Holiday season and have none of this adversely affect their 4th quarter results.

My e. coli cures cancer!

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance & ATI
7. Re: ATI/Tribes Vengence Sep 28, 2004, 00:34 LwoodPDowd

I wonder if Tribes Vengence is one of the motivations behind the VU Valve lawsuit. With the purchase of Sierra, VU stands to make a much greater amount per unit off of Tribes:V than off of Half-Life2. They can continue negotiating with Valve over Steam and other issues with the threat of a 6 month delay which would cause Valve to miss out on the Holiday season. In the mean time they can sell Tribes:V without losing sales to Half-life. Then just before the Thanksgiving weekend, even if they haven't gotten all they want out of the negotiations, they release it to retail allowing them cash in on the Holiday season and have none of this adversely affect their 4th quarter results.  
My e. coli cures cancer!

119 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo