Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Colonel Bastard

Real Name Colonel Bastard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Spektr
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 78129615
Description interested in level editing, texture editing modelling and some programming
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2000, 20:57
Total Comments 244 (Novice)
User ID 5900

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > More A Game of Throne Games Planned
9. Re: More A Game of Throne Games Planned Nov 10, 2011, 06:39 Spektr

ViRGE wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 00:20:
So the RTS was rubbish. The F2P MMO is sure to be rubbish. And the social game is rubbish by definition.
I can see your hopes are up for the rpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 7, 2011, 07:22 Spektr

Actually I still buy cds.. when I am buying gifts. I don't see elderly people switching to downloads any time soon...  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage Oct 31, 2011, 12:28 Spektr

I went to link as a reflex to find it gone. Then realized it was the character creation process when I went back. Come on the game is out in a few weeks :p I am surprised people figure it just now that the game is not a big huge technical step from Oblivion. I found it obvious right from the earlier screenshots. But technology cannot be accounted for everything. you can make a beautiful 2d indie game if you want to. Just look at Rage, it just lets the artists use as many textures at they want. No big breakthrough few dynamic lights and shadow but the artists skills have a lot of do with the results ( if not looking at textures from too close ) Elderscrolls characters had had ugly faces since before Morrowind came out ( Daggerfall...) It doesnt really have to do with technology in my humble opinion. This said the characters faces have looked good so far in the screenshots..  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 29, 2011, 22:35 Spektr

There's an easy way to be numero uno again... sell cheaper phones.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Rumors
27. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Rumors Oct 27, 2011, 17:18 Spektr

A new iteration means new generation, as opposed to San Andreas and Vice city being supposedly same generation as GTA 3. I am wondering what this installment will bring? cutting edge facial expressions?  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 14:01 Spektr

Once again. When I bought Rage I realized I had lost the email access to Steam and I needed to use the game. It took Steam almost a week to handle the situation. ( five days ) Should I wait a week to play the game I just purchased ( at the local store ) or should I download the pirated version instead? Steam and such doesnt bring any bonus to the end users, it just takes away our rights. I totally agree with the theory that DRMs foster more piracy.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy
6. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 26, 2011, 12:56 Spektr

How many expressions for texture popping in the inuit language? :p  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2011, 14:05 Spektr

Wonder where I will be 14 years from Rage's release.. And will I ever buy a ID software game again? Maybe if they release a Doom4 test/demo :p  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2011, 05:32 Spektr

yeahhh cdrom.com.. it all started there for me... I first came to blue when I was looking for quake one mods.. yikes 14 years ago...Haven't been downloading mods that much lately :p  

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
55. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 20:24 Spektr

Sorry but I kinda like Rage. The more I play it the more it reminds me of Borderlands though.
Megatextures with Doom interiors? that sounds like Quake wars? Well I feel the interiors looks nice too. A bit like the interiors from a "painted" interior from an adventure game. Very static though. And why is the texture "lag" longer / more obvious inside than outside in Wellspring? And why do some texture have some pixellated bits over them that don't fit the rest of the texture? like for instance you have a chair with a few squares on them that look low res. Anyone noticed?

I kinda like Rage yes but the lack of polish technique wise is very disappointing as I expect more from Mr Carmack. Artistically I think it looks amazing though. The usual high quality art direction really shine on megatexture. Only wish the textures looked better from close up and didnt get blurry every time I turn around. As for the details, it really doesnt compare to what we are used to nowadays but if you look at it as a whole it looks like nothing else before, even with the Borderlands undertones. Back in Deus ex3 or Crysis2 , everything looks shiny and polished but at the same time blocky and cold. The buildings in Rage convey something more organic and realistic. A bit like an impressionist painting, if you look at the details it isnt good but if you look at the whole picture it's powerful..
Could we conclude that Carmack's tech was too early for today's machines, the same ways the low poly models in Quake1 made it look worse than the high poly sprites of other games at the time? Not really because the game runs really smooth on my computer ( smoother than the other games I have mentioned ) but just doesnt behave well. I think there's more power in my computer that can be tapped to get rid of those issues. I wouldn't mind losing a few fps in favour of better rendering.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
111. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 09:07 Spektr

Maybe I am pointing to the obvious but not content with using lightmaps again. (it actually makes sense with such a technology as megatexture ) the character and vehicle shadows are still the same hard edge shadows we had in Doom. Can't the guy be bothered to code soft edged shadows for the characters?

Regardless of that I hate that rough product launch. It's just not about pc gamers it's about making a polished product that you're fooking up because you forgot to test the platform.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
28. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 11:32 Spektr

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 09:22:
Who knows, maybe it looks all beautiful but feels as unsatisfying as DNF....

DNF looks beautiful now??

News Comments > PC is Dead to I Am Alive
12. Re: PC is Dead to I Am Alive Sep 29, 2011, 16:58 Spektr

Stop whining. We have a shitload of post apocalytic games on the PC already and there are more AA games coming our way ( Rage, for instance ) and I still prefer an old game like Fallout than a new console game that everybody will have forgotten one year from now.

Not that UBI makes average. And I think they come from the PC by the way. More games are made for the console but PC games are still better anyway.

News Comments > Skyrim Voice Cast Announced
43. Re: Skyrim Voice Cast Announced Sep 27, 2011, 18:28 Spektr

While in foreign dubbed version we'll just get ordinary second rate actors  

News Comments > Rumored Dead Space 3 Details
11. Re: Rumored Dead Space 3 Details Sep 27, 2011, 09:23 Spektr

Isaac Clark.. now tau volantis... Volantis is a city in Game of thrones.. can't the guy find names on their own? :p  

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
5. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 16:39 Spektr

Yeah. it should have come as a problem for graphic board makers. PC games are not pushing hardware anymore. But I suppose they get their share on the hardware they make for consoles and mobile phones.  

News Comments > WoW Magazine Ends
2. Re: WoW Magazine Ends Sep 16, 2011, 21:07 Spektr

Well they have managed to blotch up a magazine based on the pc game that managed to get more money from gamers' pockets than any other game that I can think of so what do you expect?  

News Comments > Epic on Bulletstorm Sales
80. Re: Epic on Bulletstorm Sales Jul 24, 2011, 12:48 Spektr

I think Quake had more followers than progressive Black Metal :p  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
20. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jul 18, 2011, 05:57 Spektr

Wow this project has been around for so long.. I guess the game has been playable for quite some time now  

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 12, 2011, 11:34 Spektr

If you think the band Genesis is going to make the music of the game you are definitely too old :p  

244 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo