Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Colonel Bastard

Real Name Colonel Bastard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Spektr
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 78129615
Description interested in level editing, texture editing modelling and some programming
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2000, 20:57
Total Comments 252 (Amateur)
User ID 5900

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 9, 2012, 00:06 Spektr

I am not a big fan of skyUI I find the letters too small and since I have lot of stuff it confuses me to see a lot of stuff at once.. any way to make fonts bigger?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2012, 14:29 Spektr

spooky..  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 14:17 Spektr

Good to see elder scrolls selling more than COD. Well because I have been a find of elder scrolls since Daggerfall and every time I tried a COD game I found it really boring. Just personal taste but there is more that. It would be ok if this series only favoured marketing over gameplay quality. The big problem is the bad influence the success of this series had on other products. Suddenly games with no automatic healing and more than two weapons at once became "old school" shooters. Surprise, I have been playing some of those recently released "old school" games and they are much more fun. Wish Rage had sold better ( Ah deathmatch...) but I see COD MW getting old soon. Marketing can't turn turd into gold.  

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
141. Re: Skyrim Arrives Dec 24, 2011, 10:04 Spektr

I was a bit disappointed how the perks were handled insofar as some would give special bonuses and as you pointed out some feel like if you don't take the perks you are weaker in those skills. The good side of this system is that it makes the perks class-defining.. making you an expert in what you chose. But there is a bad side to it, it's a major change from the Bethesda paradigm that practising a skill is how you improve it.
It still works that way but one may wonder if it's doing any good. Now my picklocking skill is almost 100 but I didnt see the harder locks getting easier because I didnt have points to invest in them. So did my skill improved for nothing? In some other skills you can see the damage of your armor and your weapons improve as you progress in skill but wondering how much they would be with perks. It still breaks the paradigm because one character with 100 in one handed weapons is still not as efficient as another with 100.
So how to circumvent that? ( in next games for instance ) remove those efficiency perks? make those perks automatic when you reach the level caps like in oblivion? or using the skill leveling system and when skill is 100 it keeps improving when you get 101 etc the only bonus is a free perk in this skill. Another way would be giving extra perk point (once ) if you pick skills that have reached the caps of 25 / 50 / 75 / 100.
The problem is that skills already make you level and thus giving you perk points already but improving in one hand combat allows you to improve your conjuration through perks. Once again a big departure from the Elder scrolls system. It worked better in Fallout since it uses a classic experience system. Not a problem that they change their system but here two different systems coexist. A good thing in Fallout was that perks werent linked to skills too. Those perks can still be had in Skyrim as quest rewards or active powers. For instance you can get rewarded by a training that give you a point increase in a few related skills. Same as some fallout perks. Some other perks: extra damage to people of opposite sex are given from a blessing.. Don't know how this bonus has anything to do with a goddess of beauty though,shouldnt she give a bonus to speechcraft with opposite sex instead?

News Comments > Skyrim Arrives
140. Re: Skyrim Arrives Dec 24, 2011, 09:18 Spektr

Oblivion was a while ago and WOW happened in between so my memory is blurry but it seems to be that Oblivion wasn't that polished when it came out. I don't know if Win7 or Skyrim is to be accounted for that but the game is loading very fast. All the other games take longer to load so I would think it's Bethesda's doing. When I think of how long the loadscreens were in Morrowind I can't help but think Beth did a great job. What's more the game was very fluid when I started playing but got more jittery as I kept playing. Too bad there are many bugs littered here and there and the performance drops as the game goes. Used to be very fluid although my rig is a few years old. This said nowadays games are made to play on years old consoles so I don't see the point in buying a new rig. No wonder Nvidia is doing telephones these days.  

News Comments > EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling
13. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 09:04 Spektr

yeah well I think some people are racist as hell all around the planet..
And yes, they can download it illegally... As of legal downloads, I am not sure they check if you are Australian or not. But I am sure there are workarounds.
It can only mean two things: a) Governments are completely unaware of what's going today in our societies b) They are but they are completely helpless. The Internet and globalized economics are more powerful than they are.
Kinda scary in some way but glad the internet is once again helping against governement censorship.
PS: And yes I would order it from Amazon or something..

News Comments > On Skyrim DLC
45. Re: On Skyrim DLC Dec 16, 2011, 12:26 Spektr

Well, as much as I see what TES games share with shooters, I don't see what mentioning them adds in this discussion. Skyrim has action, does it make it an action rpg? I thought that category was for diablo like games. For me it's a FPRPG that follows in the footsteps of its predecessors. I agree with most of the criticism I have heard here though.

this said they managed to make the action good but at the same time they break the pace with poor IU design decisions. It's like their quests you can be an assassin and an agent of mara. ( I am ) they want to be a rpg and an action game. So you can fight an epic fight then pause it to look for this potion somewhere. There should have been efforts to make it coherent at last. It had never been in the previous games so they find no reason to change it. In the witcher you can only take a potion when preparing for combat not during combat in another game drinking a potion makes you vulnerable for a moment to the enemy's attacks. Here you can can just pause game and empty your stock of health potions. This doesnt mean the game isnt good or that I never die. But it's frustrating. easier access to stuff would help. Maybe they could add a cross shaped interface to the favourites key like the tab key. up for potions, down for shouts right for weapons &apparel, left for spells. That would sort stuff better for sure. Personally I havent added any potions to favourites so I dont have to go up and down.

I think the magic system needs more spells too. It's like they spent all their time on shouts, which comes out as a rival to the traditional magic system. Oh since anybody coming from any region can have shout powers I wonder why only Skyrim has them in its traditions?
Anyway I like the spells. They look better than they had in the past but I wish they were much more. I levelled up Illusion so my rogue could become invisible and because I had nightingale cowl that improved my illusion skill but the only spell I got in that category was muffle. Which was moot because I had nightingale boots that adds this effect permanently. ok illusion is good to play with crowds this time. It has become the mind control school. Light effects are now with alteration. it seems they didn't have much to add to that school. Well there are some effects from shouts I would have liked to see in spells. Storm call , slow time etc... But the shouts had two things for them that spells don't have... Any characters can use them, regardless of class so they can make puzzles requiring them in general quests. ( the way some spells are used in mage quests ) They can control how much characters can use them since there is a cooldown timer. So that they don't use slow time all the time for instance.

It's true that freedom is the main ideology of t he game and you can do what you want so if you follow daedras and become an assassin is up to you. Player feels encouraged because there is no social stigma about it. But what would you say if every guard in town knew you are an assassin. Actually sometimes there is one who says glory to Sithis or one recognizes your thieves guild armor ( wondering what sense there is to have 100 in sneak if anybody can recognize you ) Actually sometimes you are complimented for completing a daedric quest. Guards express their awe because you are carrying Azura's star ( X ray eyes ) And at the same children will ask to play with them even though you are wearing a grim-looking Dragon Priest mask. Well my assassin works for all sides, aedras & daedras. He spreads the good word of Mara after killing people. How is that possible? Well he's an hypocrite, hiding his dark side by doing good things for the community. The only thing is that gods aren't aware or they dont just care I am working for every and each of them and all give me their blessing....

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2011, 13:16.

News Comments > A Game of Thrones RPG = 30 Hours
8. Re: A Game of Thrones RPG = 30 Hours Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 Spektr

They are using speedtree I can tell! Well if the adaptation is on par with the quality of the Witcher. I will forgive the aging engine..  

News Comments > More A Game of Throne Games Planned
9. Re: More A Game of Throne Games Planned Nov 10, 2011, 06:39 Spektr

ViRGE wrote on Nov 10, 2011, 00:20:
So the RTS was rubbish. The F2P MMO is sure to be rubbish. And the social game is rubbish by definition.
I can see your hopes are up for the rpg

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 7, 2011, 07:22 Spektr

Actually I still buy cds.. when I am buying gifts. I don't see elderly people switching to downloads any time soon...  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage Oct 31, 2011, 12:28 Spektr

I went to link as a reflex to find it gone. Then realized it was the character creation process when I went back. Come on the game is out in a few weeks :p I am surprised people figure it just now that the game is not a big huge technical step from Oblivion. I found it obvious right from the earlier screenshots. But technology cannot be accounted for everything. you can make a beautiful 2d indie game if you want to. Just look at Rage, it just lets the artists use as many textures at they want. No big breakthrough few dynamic lights and shadow but the artists skills have a lot of do with the results ( if not looking at textures from too close ) Elderscrolls characters had had ugly faces since before Morrowind came out ( Daggerfall...) It doesnt really have to do with technology in my humble opinion. This said the characters faces have looked good so far in the screenshots..  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 29, 2011, 22:35 Spektr

There's an easy way to be numero uno again... sell cheaper phones.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Rumors
27. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Rumors Oct 27, 2011, 17:18 Spektr

A new iteration means new generation, as opposed to San Andreas and Vice city being supposedly same generation as GTA 3. I am wondering what this installment will bring? cutting edge facial expressions?  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 14:01 Spektr

Once again. When I bought Rage I realized I had lost the email access to Steam and I needed to use the game. It took Steam almost a week to handle the situation. ( five days ) Should I wait a week to play the game I just purchased ( at the local store ) or should I download the pirated version instead? Steam and such doesnt bring any bonus to the end users, it just takes away our rights. I totally agree with the theory that DRMs foster more piracy.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy
6. Re: Quoteworthy Oct 26, 2011, 12:56 Spektr

How many expressions for texture popping in the inuit language? :p  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2011, 14:05 Spektr

Wonder where I will be 14 years from Rage's release.. And will I ever buy a ID software game again? Maybe if they release a Doom4 test/demo :p  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2011, 05:32 Spektr

yeahhh cdrom.com.. it all started there for me... I first came to blue when I was looking for quake one mods.. yikes 14 years ago...Haven't been downloading mods that much lately :p  

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
55. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 20:24 Spektr

Sorry but I kinda like Rage. The more I play it the more it reminds me of Borderlands though.
Megatextures with Doom interiors? that sounds like Quake wars? Well I feel the interiors looks nice too. A bit like the interiors from a "painted" interior from an adventure game. Very static though. And why is the texture "lag" longer / more obvious inside than outside in Wellspring? And why do some texture have some pixellated bits over them that don't fit the rest of the texture? like for instance you have a chair with a few squares on them that look low res. Anyone noticed?

I kinda like Rage yes but the lack of polish technique wise is very disappointing as I expect more from Mr Carmack. Artistically I think it looks amazing though. The usual high quality art direction really shine on megatexture. Only wish the textures looked better from close up and didnt get blurry every time I turn around. As for the details, it really doesnt compare to what we are used to nowadays but if you look at it as a whole it looks like nothing else before, even with the Borderlands undertones. Back in Deus ex3 or Crysis2 , everything looks shiny and polished but at the same time blocky and cold. The buildings in Rage convey something more organic and realistic. A bit like an impressionist painting, if you look at the details it isnt good but if you look at the whole picture it's powerful..
Could we conclude that Carmack's tech was too early for today's machines, the same ways the low poly models in Quake1 made it look worse than the high poly sprites of other games at the time? Not really because the game runs really smooth on my computer ( smoother than the other games I have mentioned ) but just doesnt behave well. I think there's more power in my computer that can be tapped to get rid of those issues. I wouldn't mind losing a few fps in favour of better rendering.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
111. Re: id On RAGE Oct 8, 2011, 09:07 Spektr

Maybe I am pointing to the obvious but not content with using lightmaps again. (it actually makes sense with such a technology as megatexture ) the character and vehicle shadows are still the same hard edge shadows we had in Doom. Can't the guy be bothered to code soft edged shadows for the characters?

Regardless of that I hate that rough product launch. It's just not about pc gamers it's about making a polished product that you're fooking up because you forgot to test the platform.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
28. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 11:32 Spektr

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 09:22:
Who knows, maybe it looks all beautiful but feels as unsatisfying as DNF....

DNF looks beautiful now??

252 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo