Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Colonel Bastard

Real Name Colonel Bastard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Spektr
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 78129615
Description interested in level editing, texture editing modelling and some programming
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2000, 20:57
Total Comments 287 (Amateur)
User ID 5900

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Master of Orion Collector's Edition
7. Re: Master of Orion Collector's Edition Aug 29, 2015, 08:18 Spektr

I suppose that by expansion, Blue really means sequel?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
29. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 22:40 Spektr

Except TW3 uses bloody Speedtree, which should put it on par with Oblivion in terms of graphics. As it stands the plants look very nice from distance but close up it's another story.
It's true that the Witcher 2 was released the same year as Skyrim.
Yet if they wanted to make the world bigger they could have. That's a design decision not a technical limitation. Let's not forget that Morrowind and the imperial province landmass exist in the Skyrim map.
Anyway my point wasn't really about technical achievements but how each studio managed to innovate between each game.
You might say that the elder scrolls have npcs with 24 hour routines and every piece of cutlery that can be picked up and so it's like mixing oranges and apples. My two bits of opinion here is that the Polish studio manages to be more relevant.

I don't think Elder scrolls have small cities, few inhabitants and outdoors/ indoors loading because the games are last gen. I am ready to bet Fallout will have that as well. Of course in a post apocalyptic setting they can do without a lot of npcs and big cities. As regards indoors transitions that's clearly how Bethesda has chosen to design their levels. Ir's been like that for 15 years or so. Even the first two episodes had that. They've been repeating the same formula over and over again and applying it to the Fallout licence. Quite frankly I am getting bored of the same thing every time. Jee even their mmo is built the same way. Do the designers think the audience like that? I feel concerned about this formula. To be honest I am kinda feeling like I already know what to expect from their new Fallout. Having another studio develop New Vegas was their best decision, wish they kept on with that. Not really interested in Fallout 3 with better graphics.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
6. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 11:16 Spektr

InBlack wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 09:43:
Oh wow. Im looking forward to some really cool Total Conversion mods for this one in about 12 months time. Can't wait to see what the community will cook up with an engine this gorgeous!

AAA studios, take note. This is how its done!!

I back this.

To be more specific, Bethesda this is how it's done.

Basically for a first time with an open world game the studio nailed it right away. As opposed to the Elder scrolls where each new episode is a disappointment leaving a bitter "they could have done better" aftertaste.
One big difference, I don't know if that's related to CDProjekt being European but this studio knows what a medieval city looks like. Also they know what a realistic landscape looks like, but since there are landscapes in the US they have no excuse.
No offence but the cities in the elder scroll games have been ridiculously small since Morrowind. This reached a certain level in ESO where I calculated one area's major city didn't have any habitation building in them.
Also the main map in Witcher3 is more than three times larger than the one in Skyrim. Which didn't prevent them from implementing seamless indoors/outdoors transitions in their maps.
ok maybe their landscapes are more desolate but that's exactly what makes them realistic.
But that's the technical side of thing. The quests are muuuch better.
Not to say that the quests are bad and uninteresting in Skyrim. There were great moment, but the NPCs are so much more interesting and involving. One really wants to know what happens to them next, like in a good TV series. On top of that there's that whole mature content thing. After Daggerfall someone at Bethesda decided they couldn't afford to have boobs show any longer. Along with the big cities gone were the boobs. Not that they added much to the whole experience but they could have gone the other way and make interesting mature content.
At the end of the day, Witcher 3 feels like playing a RPG with a penis. Elder scrolls are more akin to that fattening cat that his owners had castrated, who spends his days sleeping in the sun.

Bethesda take heed, and wake up.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 11:25.

News Comments > The Surge Announced
10. Re: The Surge Announced Jul 23, 2015, 07:53 Spektr

If you've ever played Lord of the fallen it means even the first mob you mean is hard to beat without the tutorial. Like half of the creatures you meet are super annoying to beat because your character is super slow. Might be hardcore but yes it's more action than roleplay. Action with tranquiliser though. The guys (well the guys who came up with Dark Souls to be exact) invented the concept of super slow action video games. There are some who like that. I personally prefer action to be super frantic and exciting but to each its own.  

News Comments > Mooncrest Announced
3. Re: Mooncrest Announced Jul 22, 2015, 12:59 Spektr

Bioware games of old, as opposed to the sucky games they've been making lately? Do they mean Dragon Age basically?  

News Comments > Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem
41. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 16, 2015, 18:51 Spektr

Jee I tried the Shadow warrior redux and it looks goddamn awful. Was it developed by colorblind people?
Anyway I think they should hand it to volition. Duke Nukem's tone is very close to the Saints Row games.

News Comments > WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced
5. Re: WB Games Montréal New IP Referenced Jun 30, 2015, 12:25 Spektr

Maybe they are not the one to blame for the Batman Arkham Knight PC Port but that incident does not really make me interested in what they are working on next.
I am actually taking sides for studios that recently took pains to offer quality console ports. I have in mind Rockstar. Those that required me to upgrade from my dual core processor to play their games like Far Cry4 or Dragon Inquisition are not going to see the color of my money any time soon.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 29, 2015, 08:09 Spektr

Julio wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 05:42:
It's the perfect accessory to wear while gaming!

Kate Upton's rack?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
12. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 10:41 Spektr

To think the studio dismissed Arkham Origins as too bad to be considered a real part of their "trilogy". That game didn't bring much but it seems pretty superior to the latest so far.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 3 PC Footage
4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 3 PC Footage Jun 24, 2015, 10:48 Spektr

Kinda feel like pre order offers are a rip off. Personally I prefer waiting longer and buy two games for the price of one
Aside from that, am I the only one feeling distressed that all characters seem to be wearing a jetpack?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
6. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 11:06 Spektr

Actually I am kinda puzzled by that way of announcing a new product.
Back in days not so far away expansions were promoted by telling people what they added to the game. Now they just mention what pre-purchase will bring to buyers?? Not very exciting..

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Preorders
5. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of the Storm Preorders Jun 17, 2015, 11:04 Spektr

Actually the press release and the video say Heart of Thorns not Heart of the Storm  

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 4, 2015, 10:15 Spektr

Am I the only one to find those Fallout screebshots unexciting? But I understand they come out of a trailer...  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
7. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 09:44 Spektr

DukeFNukem wrote on May 11, 2015, 09:30:
The days of $50.00 games have been over for me a few years now. Not sure what people pay that much money for games these days considering how cheap they will eventually become.

But I guess my point is that, a sale is a sale, even at a discount and shouldn't be frowned upon. It means that the person who bought it didn't have to have it on day 1 or didn't have to have it at all for that matter. Sales and discounts also eliminate lots of piracy. Because "some" triple AAA titles eventually reach reasonable prices there is no real justification for piracy anymore.

I wonder if by disappointing sales they mean each developer had to settle for a ferrari over a lamborghini for their new toy of the year?

I couldn't agree more with your point. The best solution against Piracy indeed.

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Delayed
2. Re: Dead Island 2 Delayed Apr 30, 2015, 18:51 Spektr

Hehe got the feeling their fans are not disappointed by this news, they are too busy playing Dying light :p  

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Apr 1, 2015, 15:37 Spektr

Guess you didn't read it as it belongs in the April fools jokes  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 31, 2015, 21:26 Spektr

Elon Musk.. Wasn't a villain in a Deus Ex game named like that?  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 30, 2015, 06:27 Spektr

Yah loved that game when I was a kid.. No idea what it's doing in console section though.. Since when is C64 considered a console??  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 15, 2015, 20:57 Spektr

Hehe they have three spots in the top list. See that's what happen when you fight piracy with good customer service  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 2, 2015, 18:10 Spektr

They can put all the audio on dvd without requiring you to install it on your hard drive... I haven't bought a dvd for ages but hey 50gb... that's a monstrous download. Well I for sure hope they won't have us download all localized versions.  

287 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo