Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Colonel Bastard

Real Name Colonel Bastard   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Spektr
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 78129615
Description interested in level editing, texture editing modelling and some programming
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2000, 20:57
Total Comments 304 (Amateur)
User ID 5900
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Afro Samurai 2 Refunds; Additional Volumes Cancelled
9. Re: Afro Samurai 2 Refunds; Additional Volumes Cancelled Nov 21, 2015, 10:48 Spektr
Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2015, 11:27:
So what are they refunding? The purchase price of people who bought it? Or the preorders for the additional volumes?

Preordering is a bad practise.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Obsidian Game Announcement Coming
21. Re: Obsidian Game Announcement Coming Nov 16, 2015, 11:46 Spektr
I have started F4 and so far.. it's felt a bit like an id software game to be honest.. Sometimes advancing through the ruins it felt a bit like being in Rage lol. Don't get me wrong it makes some of the indoor levels more interesting than what Bethesda had created in the past.
But what I want is getting carried by all those stories from the post apocalyptic world. It's getting interesting with those stories related to the institute. The whole base building and management thing hasn't proved very exciting so far.
Kinda miss the Sunset Salsaparilla so far..
News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
20. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 05:03 Spektr
jacobvandy wrote on What difference does it make to be rid of the extraneous 1-100 values, when all that mattered before was the 4-5 breakpoints we're left with now anyway? [/quote:

I totally agree... Fallout 3 lockpicking allowed you to open a harder lock at a certain breakpoint, Until you reached that point all the extra skill point spent into it were useless. that would allow for investing in several skills at once. I don't know about weapon skills though, did they have breakpoints or bonuses per extra skill level?

My only pet peeves is that it reduces freedom a bit ( "Build the player that you want!" says the ad) In the previous games you could develop the skills without getting the perks linked to them. The positive point is that sometimes the skills and the points would sometimes collide, like for instance a stealth bonus that would make raising the stealth skill useless so it should be more streamlined now, more coherent.

Think about Skyrim.. that's the worse case, you could develop your skill in picking locks but unless you would get the perks your new skill levels wouldn't allow you to pick harder locks.

With this system I know you get a perk point every level, I just hope they are more generous this time around.
Another advantage of this system, a perk like haggling doesn't take as much point as a skill more vital to your survival like weapon skills
News Comments > Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play
23. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 09:18 Spektr
It should be free for those who own quake 3 arena!  
News Comments > Fallout 4 Ready to Roll
15. Re: Fallout 4 Ready to Roll Oct 23, 2015, 21:10 Spektr
Carlberg is a bit too mundane for a post-apocalyptic setting.. I would love to drink a real life nuka-cola.. without the radiations of course.  
News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Rebel Galaxy
4. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Rebel Galaxy Oct 21, 2015, 07:57 Spektr
it seems Disney is less protective with its franchises than Lucas used to be. Hard to believe a sci-fi video game with Rebel or Empire in its name not being sued!  
News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 18, 2015, 12:22 Spektr
Big brother is driving you.  
News Comments > Battleborn Big Numbers
4. Re: Battleborn Big Numbers Oct 3, 2015, 12:07 Spektr
It reminds me of the number of different guns they had avertised for Borderlands.
Was annoying for people like me who's bad at making choices choosing which gun to ditch or to sell.
Enjoyed it though...
Not like Borderlands 2. Been trying this game lately and it's a bit disappointing. I kinda feel like I am getting killed all the time even when I am engaging only two bad guys. Kinda feel like having to reload every two seconds and getting out of ammo every two minutes. Not fun!
News Comments > Microsoft Acquires Havoc
13. Re: Microsoft Acquires Havoc Oct 3, 2015, 04:37 Spektr
Would be a great idea.. can't wait to have all of them implement physX :p  
News Comments > Quote of the Day
14. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 11:29 Spektr
The fact that most PC users never got to try it explains why people are so much over it. And that it should be so bad why it never made it to PC.  
News Comments > First Wonder Trailer
13. Re: First Wonder Trailer Sep 12, 2015, 11:23 Spektr
And I thought evolved was the spiritual successor to Giants :p  
News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2015, 12:11 Spektr
nin wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 09:56:
Jennifer Lawrence is 22?? What? (checks Wikipedia, she is 25)

Why would she give her wrong age in an interview?

Welcome to Hollywood. I suspect it's something that happens a lot, as many female actresses have complained about being told they're "too old" for a given role.

I think a lot of women lie about their age in general, they just don't have an opportunity to do it in an interview. That or the interview is three years old :p.
News Comments > Shovel Night Free Update Next Week
3. Re: Shovel Night Free Update Next Week Sep 10, 2015, 12:06 Spektr
Shovel nights. The addon that adds nighttime activities to the game!  
News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
20. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 05:51 Spektr
Witcher 2 is still on for sale on steam. Very cheap but anyhow it probably produced revenue for the last few years. Might even produce additional revenue if newcomers who have finished Witcher 3 are curious about Witcher 2.  
News Comments > DOOM SnapMap Trailer
11. Re: DOOM SnapMap Trailer Sep 5, 2015, 08:26 Spektr
I suppose SnapMap uses models rather than brushes. Will be really easy to add new content.  
News Comments > DOOM SnapMap Trailer
10. Re: DOOM SnapMap Trailer Sep 5, 2015, 08:24 Spektr
Actually that vid isn't new. I remember watching it around quakecon. I was quite interested in that video about tech 6, but the specifics of the engine are quite vague though. Quite amazed by the statement "the best tech team we've ever had". John Carmack will appreciate that :p.  
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes
6. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes Sep 4, 2015, 06:35 Spektr
Player-requested features? Are they going to introduce charismatic characters? I mean.. I just tried DA:I after weeks of playing Witcher 3 for a change. Jee the characters felt just like saturday morning cartoon characters. Not to mention that options to customize the player character had me chose between him looking like some effeminate top model or like a diformed hunchback. I had to reroll him in an attempt to add manliness. Couldn't go with the pointy oversized faces. Jee I want a guy that looks badass not some Half orc. Kinda felt like they were catering to the crowd that enjoys teenage shows like Vampire Diaries. Jee I couldn't get past this quest to go on top of that mountain to close a gate or whathaveya. Funny I didn't get that feeling when I played Origins. The options to chose on creation didn't satisfy me either. I think i'll be better off playing PPOE. Is DA:I as bad as that first impression it gave me?  
News Comments > Master of Orion Collector's Edition
7. Re: Master of Orion Collector's Edition Aug 29, 2015, 08:18 Spektr
I suppose that by expansion, Blue really means sequel?  
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
29. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 22:40 Spektr
Except TW3 uses bloody Speedtree, which should put it on par with Oblivion in terms of graphics. As it stands the plants look very nice from distance but close up it's another story.
It's true that the Witcher 2 was released the same year as Skyrim.
Yet if they wanted to make the world bigger they could have. That's a design decision not a technical limitation. Let's not forget that Morrowind and the imperial province landmass exist in the Skyrim map.
Anyway my point wasn't really about technical achievements but how each studio managed to innovate between each game.
You might say that the elder scrolls have npcs with 24 hour routines and every piece of cutlery that can be picked up and so it's like mixing oranges and apples. My two bits of opinion here is that the Polish studio manages to be more relevant.

I don't think Elder scrolls have small cities, few inhabitants and outdoors/ indoors loading because the games are last gen. I am ready to bet Fallout will have that as well. Of course in a post apocalyptic setting they can do without a lot of npcs and big cities. As regards indoors transitions that's clearly how Bethesda has chosen to design their levels. Ir's been like that for 15 years or so. Even the first two episodes had that. They've been repeating the same formula over and over again and applying it to the Fallout licence. Quite frankly I am getting bored of the same thing every time. Jee even their mmo is built the same way. Do the designers think the audience like that? I feel concerned about this formula. To be honest I am kinda feeling like I already know what to expect from their new Fallout. Having another studio develop New Vegas was their best decision, wish they kept on with that. Not really interested in Fallout 3 with better graphics.
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
6. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 11:16 Spektr
InBlack wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 09:43:
Oh wow. Im looking forward to some really cool Total Conversion mods for this one in about 12 months time. Can't wait to see what the community will cook up with an engine this gorgeous!

AAA studios, take note. This is how its done!!

I back this.

To be more specific, Bethesda this is how it's done.

Basically for a first time with an open world game the studio nailed it right away. As opposed to the Elder scrolls where each new episode is a disappointment leaving a bitter "they could have done better" aftertaste.
One big difference, I don't know if that's related to CDProjekt being European but this studio knows what a medieval city looks like. Also they know what a realistic landscape looks like, but since there are landscapes in the US they have no excuse.
No offence but the cities in the elder scroll games have been ridiculously small since Morrowind. This reached a certain level in ESO where I calculated one area's major city didn't have any habitation building in them.
Also the main map in Witcher3 is more than three times larger than the one in Skyrim. Which didn't prevent them from implementing seamless indoors/outdoors transitions in their maps.
ok maybe their landscapes are more desolate but that's exactly what makes them realistic.
But that's the technical side of thing. The quests are muuuch better.
Not to say that the quests are bad and uninteresting in Skyrim. There were great moment, but the NPCs are so much more interesting and involving. One really wants to know what happens to them next, like in a good TV series. On top of that there's that whole mature content thing. After Daggerfall someone at Bethesda decided they couldn't afford to have boobs show any longer. Along with the big cities gone were the boobs. Not that they added much to the whole experience but they could have gone the other way and make interesting mature content.
At the end of the day, Witcher 3 feels like playing a RPG with a penis. Elder scrolls are more akin to that fattening cat that his owners had castrated, who spends his days sleeping in the sun.

Bethesda take heed, and wake up.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 11:25.
304 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

Blue's News logo