Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for verybad1

Real Name verybad1   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname verybad1
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 8, 2013, 20:19
Total Comments 158 (Novice)
User ID 57946

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion
25. Re: Notch Buys $70M Beverly Hills Mansion Dec 19, 2014, 04:49 verybad1

Guy's gonna bone some Playboy "models" then sell the place. Makes sense if you've come into ridiculous money like him.

Congrats!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tropico 5 Waterborne Expansion Released
1. Re: Tropico 5 Waterborne Expansion Released Dec 19, 2014, 04:43 verybad1

Want to like the game, but instead of it feeling like they're bringing new content, it feels more like they thought of the content before it was release, and they're just putting in what was planned before it was released.

To much of a sell rather than enjoy feel overall. Which is a pity.

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
139. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 18, 2014, 00:31 verybad1

Timmeh wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 17:19:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:27:
Freedom without responsibility doesn't work. We should aspire to more than pandering to the lowest common denominator. Anything for a buck, Gabe?

I gotta admit your post impressed the hell out of me.

I agree that wee need freedom of expression, but we also need social responsibility. We do not live and cant live in a free for all wonton evil society.

Some dark things need to be left to be wrestled in secret with the id where they belong.

OK, who gets to make those decisions?

If the individuals in society are not informed well enough to make moral decisions that are beneficial to society as a whole, then we need to fix society.

Seriously, who gets to make decisions as to what is right, because a lot of people have a lot of varying views on a lot of things.

138. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 18, 2014, 00:24 verybad1

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 14:20:
verybad1 wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 14:09:
Only time freedom is of any value is when censorship is provided by the moral compass of each individual. Otherwise it's not freedom, and if as a whole the moral compass of society can't be trusted, then there is a deeper problem with that society than censorship can fix.

What fantasy world are you living in? There is no such thing as freedom as you describe it in a civilized society. I suggest you actually take some time and read some history. The collapse of many of the past civilizations can be attributed in part through the decline of many of their social mores.

All this game is going to do is rile up the game censor proponents, which is one group you really don't want to stir up.

Check the Soviet Union-Hihgly censored, check Nazi Germany- Highly censored.

If the individuals in a society can't be trusted, then the problem is with the society, not the individuals.

You seemed to have invented a history rather than researched it.

77. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 14:09 verybad1

Only time freedom is of any value is when censorship is provided by the moral compass of each individual. Otherwise it's not freedom, and if as a whole the moral compass of society can't be trusted, then there is a deeper problem with that society than censorship can fix.  

71. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 13:56 verybad1

beremot wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 13:43:

Not to mention the fact that the U.S., where I live, is PLAGUED by mass murders just like the one depicted in the game.
Well then maybe we should reduce the guns flowing freely about our society, but nahh, guns don't kill people, video games do.

If you live somewhere where this happened, if you know someone who lost a loved one in a mass-shooting, then this isn't just an "abstract" concept for you, and the idea of taking all that suffering, all that misery, and turning it into a game, is sickening.
About ten years ago I saw a 14 year old boy killed in a drive by shooting. I don't know for sure, but I'm rather more of the opinion that the shooting was drug related rather than from someone playing video games.
You "Hatred" supporters out there ... Will you follow your logic to its natural extremes? Do you believe there is ANY concept for a game that is simply beyond defense? What about a game centered around raping infants? Lynching black people? Anything?

My guess is no. Because you care more about playing games, than you do about what happens in the real world, and are unable or unwilling to see how one might affect the other.
Biggest violence factors out there are government, religion, drugs, money, and sex. I don't think video game inspired violence is even a measurable factor.

In the past, the biggestviolence inspiring genre has been literature, not movies, not art, not video games.

Think people are barking up the wrong tree.

The game looks disgusting to me, but the quickest way to lead to a violent society is to have the government tell us what to think, watch, play, or say.

68. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 13:36 verybad1

shul wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 09:16:
I'm sorry, but I've watched the trailer and the game makes me sick.

I know that if I don't like it I don't need to play it but putting stuff like that out there is like poisoning minds.

Meh. Looks just like Diablo in terms of gameplay killing lots of stuff from a 3rd person view) but instead of monsters it's people instead of spells it's guns and stuff.

The gameplay itself might be good depending on challenge (presumably there are people that fight back(?))Cops and such.

As for it poisoning minds, you've got to be pretty weak minded to begin with if something like that would alter your behavior.

Doesn't appeal to me, but I am 100% of the view that if somebody wants to make this sort of game, they should be allowed to, and let the marketplace decide if it's a good idea or not.

We're adults (at least anyone getting this game should officially be, and don't need to be handheld by any government or steam in order to make decisions. Obviously a NC-17 game, but there are movies with that level of violence out there also. (splatter horror movies leave me sick)

So yeah, not getting it myself, certainly doesn't appeal to me, but if they want to make that game for their (presumably rather small) market, let them.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth OS X Patch & Linux Status
3. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth OS X Patch & Linux Status Dec 13, 2014, 18:00 verybad1

Nahh, I'm an asshole, but at least I know it.  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth OS X Patch & Linux Status
1. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth OS X Patch & Linux Status Dec 13, 2014, 13:09 verybad1

I wouldn't want my PC to be playing with an Apple or Linux machine.

Apple users are insufferable idiots that don't know how to open their box, and Linux users for gaming are ...probably smart, but also fat and stink, they talk about how they sat next to a pretty girl once on the bus...

Does anyone play Civ multiplay though?

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 14:48 verybad1

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 14:32:
Ok, you're wrong, though. At least what you quoted. Rockstar is a company largely run by privileged, well-educated wealthy people, and the games they make are largely populated by people that are none of those things. Only Michael qualifies as any of that, and even then, just wealthy and privileged.

But I also don't see how that's a huge problem. Playing people just like the people making the game gets tiresome.

However, there are plenty of studies that viewing things that are sexist/racist makes you more sexist/racist. When you see something in the media, it becomes a norm. You can't really deny that. What you can deny is the level of sexism/racism in a product.

Lastly, no one is saying we shouldn't have a free society. I really,really wish people would stop with that crap. If Disney were to make a film about black people eating watermelon or hispanic people being lazy today, it wouldn't go over well. Sure, Disney would be free to do it, in fact no one is stopping them, but people expect better from Disney. Likewise, the article is saying we should expect better from Rockstar.

No one is saying "write a law so Rockstar isn't able to do this!" they're saying "it's 2014, Rockstar shouldn't be choosing to do this." Hell, Blue even quoted the author saying that it's a free society and people should be able to buy it if they want and Rockstar should be able to make it if they want - they just shouldn't want to. they should want to make something better.

OK, yeah, the game is about mostly criminal actions in urban areas. not gonna argue that.

We should expect no better from a company making an entertainment product than what there is a demand for,

If we should be criticizing anyone, it should be ourselves. Rockstar is successful because it fills a demand, not because it creates that demand. There is plenty of other stuff in that nature in video games, movies, and even literature that makes this obvious.

I can also bet you that if Disney made a movie with some of those aspects in it that you mention, that it would probably find a market, it would damage their other, larger market however. I also would bet that if Disney wouldn't lose their other market due to something like that, they'd make those racist movies in a second.

People are free to choose what they want as entertainment, and that can sometimes be stuff that others find repulsive. Not gonna lose any sleep over it.

The problem isn't Rockstar, it's the market.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2014, 15:00.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 14:28 verybad1

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 14:17:
But that doesn't mean its makers ought to be allowed to feel comfortable dismissing its critics in the most derisory fashion imaginable.

"Allowed"?

WTF?

Who the hell is this guy, and why does he think he's in a position to "allow" anything to anyone?

Seriously, F this dude.

Goddam' parasite. Seriously, this is where the world's problems come from. D-bags that want to force themselves onto other people.

-scheherazade

Hallegodeamnlujah! Wsih there was a like button here.

If people want to bitch about something they feel is in poor taste, sure they can go ahead all they want, for a group, complain about it etc.

But last time I checked, we don't live in mother-effing North Korea, so people here are allowed to say or think whatever they damned well think.

Are some things in GTA-V in poor taste? Sure, However killing prostitutes in the game isn't a required thing to do in order to complete the game, it's an emergent "entertainment" (and yes I do find it repulsive to use that term also for doing that.)

You can kill cops, you can kill old people, you can blow up stuff. Seriously, killing hookers is something that can happen in the game, but it's not something that MUST happen in the game, so wanna-be hand holders need to get back on their rocking horse and backoff.

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 14:09 verybad1

Yeah, cause the majority of violence and inequality against women is done by hardcore videogame players!

Seriously, it's idiotic to consider the depiction of misogyny or other violence/inequality as actually being the cause or source of such.

Here's where the BS in the opinion article starts.

"Here is a game made by a company largely run by privileged, well-educated, wealthy people, and it mostly profits from portrayals of people who are none of those things."

You don't have to go out and do that shit. I too find it repulsive, but GTA:V has a lot of things to do, and the majority of them aren't killing prostitutes.

I can understand some women might be even more repulsed by that, and they don't have to buy the game and they can tell their male friends/relatives, etc that they shouldn't either and for what reason. No problem with that.

However I do have a problem with people trying to control what other people do/watch/play/etc for their own recreation so long as it is not actually causing harm.

Because I'm FAR more fucking terrified of a non free society than I am of jackasses axe-killing hookers in a videogame

News Comments > Vox Machinae Announced
3. Re: Vox Machinae Announced Dec 12, 2014, 13:51 verybad1

Does sound interesting. I'm epileptic so I'm nto likely to go that route, but the game itself sounds cool even without the VR so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Do hope they're not actually 40 stories tall however, seems a bit ridiculous there. Would be impossible to find cover in any realistic terrain. Guess we'll see.

News Comments > SimCity 2000 Free on Origin
3. Re: SimCity 2000 Free on Origin Dec 10, 2014, 01:17 verybad1

SimCity 4 was a better game than the last release from EA which was an utter disappointment.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
21. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Dec 6, 2014, 17:36 verybad1

mag wrote on Dec 6, 2014, 15:51:
Geeeeez you people are negative. I'm still stoked.

Well that's what happens when you stick your finger in the fire. You learn about getting burned.

We're not being negative at all, we just know how this shit generally works out.

I'd love for it to end up being a good game, I don't trust the makers because they're trying to sell it to me, and I don't trust Sony because I don't want a gamebox.

It's got all the things it needs to be another Spore, which everyone before it came out thought was gonna make life better and sex obsolete.

It didn't. It was a bunch of hype, and this looks like it's going in that direction.

Again, I'll give it the benefit of doubt and wait till it's out (on PC) before I say that it's crap, but I can't be sold anything early anymore because I put my finger in the fire and got burned too many times because the fire was pretty.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 to Include a Second Playable Character
5. Re: The Witcher 3 to Include a Second Playable Character Dec 6, 2014, 14:29 verybad1

But was she around before iphone in their universe?  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
9. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Dec 6, 2014, 14:05 verybad1

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 6, 2014, 12:40:
It reminds me of Spore in a way. The randomness just kind of mix and matches the same assets around. I can't see this having much longevity from a player's perspective.

I was going to say the EXACT same thing. Very much getting a spore feel here. Maybe it'll turn out to have a great game in it, but I am certainly not buying early. I'll wait for numerous reviews and watch some "Let's Plays"

Hearing all those fans screaming in the background was a turnoff also. Don't like empty hype and this is giving me that feeling.

Looks pretty, but I'm not paying 50 bucks or whatever for a screensaver.

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
13. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 5, 2014, 14:11 verybad1

Slashman wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 15:26:
verybad1 wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 13:11:
Sounds like one of those games that's directly transferred form the board game to the computer and doesn't take either of those platforms strengths and weaknesses into account.

Board games are fun because they're truly social (as in you have several people in the same room so dice roll based success/failure can be fun and even amusing. Computer games have the ability to take a lot more into account without slowing down the process, so can be more realistic.

Direct transfers never seem to work well IMO.

You are talking about the FIRST game. Ascension is the second game and exists to correct the problems caused by its predecessor. That's why it came out so relatively quickly after the first game. The first game is there for the direct boardgame translation and the second game is much more akin to an XCOM kind of experience (albeit with space marines and terrible monsters instead).

I can tell you that they play very differently. I had very little enthusiasm for the first game, but I definitely like and appreciate Ascension.

Hrmm, I guess I misunderstood this. I am interested in the game, so guess I'll check out some "Lets Plays" on you tube and see if it's worth buying for me.

News Comments > Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month
8. Re: Space Hulk Ascension: Imperial Fists Expansion This Month Dec 4, 2014, 13:11 verybad1

Sounds like one of those games that's directly transferred form the board game to the computer and doesn't take either of those platforms strengths and weaknesses into account.

Board games are fun because they're truly social (as in you have several people in the same room so dice roll based success/failure can be fun and even amusing. Computer games have the ability to take a lot more into account without slowing down the process, so can be more realistic.

Direct transfers never seem to work well IMO.

News Comments > FIRE Announced
1. Re: FIRE Announced Dec 4, 2014, 13:01 verybad1

Ughh. Sounds like utter crap.

From what we know, Neanderthals were pretty adept at making stone tools (and presumably fire) just were less adept at communication than modern humans. (brain shape tells us that)

Don't really want a game that has you trying to shoot coconuts from a mammoth trunk however.

I think there's less of a desire for dumbed down crap like this than publishers seem to think. If they made a game that actually taught people a bit about how Neanderthals actually were, it might be more interesting.

158 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo