Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Desalus

Real Name Desalus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2013, 02:11
Total Comments 34 (Suspect)
User ID 57911

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2014, 11:01 Desalus

Earning $11,000 per year compared with $22,000 per day in the same industry is simply outrageous. That means CEOs salaries are 520 times as large and that doesn't even include any other forms of compensation.

On another note...I'm shocked to hear that scientists at the Cato Institute find the report to be more pseudoscience than science! How could that be?!?!?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords in August
1. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords in August May 7, 2014, 21:42 Desalus

Why do devs and publishers waste their time and money on producing CGI trailers to advertise their games? Does Deep Silver really think anyone would be enticed to preorder the game based on a generic fantasy trailer which could be mistaken for any other fantasy game? Confused  

News Comments > CCP's Project Legion Announced
1. Re: CCP's Project Legion Announced May 2, 2014, 19:53 Desalus

I'm glad to see they've come around and are finally making the right choice by developing it for the PC. Dust 514 was a huge disappointment, which isn't surprising considering they were limited by the PS3. I hope this next iteration has a lot more in common with PlanetSide 2 than it does Dust 514.  

News Comments > Transformers Universe Founders Packs On Sale
4. Re: Transformers Universe Founders Packs On Sale May 2, 2014, 12:13 Desalus

$450 for an unreleased, free-to-play, browser based game, made by a developer who's greatest accomplishment is RuneScape. Jagex must be hoping that there are some insane Transformers fans somewhere out there.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 12:02 Desalus

Can't blame Turtle Rock for firing him. You would think he would be smart enough to realize that by being a public representative for Turtle Rock, he is not free to speak his mind on his very public twitter page unless he wants to suffer the consequences.

This reminds me of the past community manager for DICE who continuously upset the Battlefield community by making tactless comments via his twitter account.

This leads me to wonder what it takes to be hired as a community manager these days...Active in an online community? Ability to coordinate events? Interested in games? You're hired!

News Comments > Endless Legend Early Access
9. Re: Endless Legend Early Access Apr 25, 2014, 17:58 Desalus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 16:17:
Early Access is still a new thing. People will get used to it, and only the superfans will do it, and with full knowledge.

It doesn't seem like only 'superfans' buy into it. Early access for DayZ has been sitting on Steam's top sellers list ever since it came out.

Now, Earth 2066 on the other hand, that shit's just a scam. How did that even get approved?

Sadly I'm sure there will be many more scams and intentionally unfinished early access games to come.

News Comments > ArcheAge Founder's Packs
11. Re: ArcheAge Founder's Packs Apr 25, 2014, 17:47 Desalus

Sleep wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 15:35:
Theres plenty who will happily pay 150 to get in. Realitically, the full game wont be out for yonks so its 150 divided by however long until release. Call it a year (and im being optimistic condsidering theres three tiers) and youve got an average 8 or 9 squid sub per month with the bonus of getting access now.

That's assuming players don't care about having all their characters deleted when moving to beta and to live. Even on the website FAQ it states "Please treat time on Alpha as helping test and having an early experience with the game – not as progress that will be preserved." Trion is just exploiting those crazy fans that can't wait another minute to get their hands on an unfinished copy of the game.

Hell, they should have made it $500 and they'd probably get a few that would pay that as well. Maybe some dev will start selling $10,000 early access and those that do can join the developer's design meetings!!!! Pay them $50,000 and you can work as a developer and contribute content to the game! This early access income model for devs has a lot left to be exploited! I can't wait to see what the future brings.

News Comments > ArcheAge Founder's Packs
5. Re: ArcheAge Founder's Packs Apr 25, 2014, 12:42 Desalus

Stanly Manly wrote on Apr 25, 2014, 10:43:
This founder pack shit is getting ridiculous. I'll toss a few dollars here and there at a kickstarter, but $150 for a game you probably wouldn't pay $20 for at retail is fucking stupid.

And it has microtransactions... Really not liking this trend.

Within the past year there has been an explosion of 'early access' games on steam and these 'founders packs' (too many to count). Like you said it's getting very ridiculous. I think game devs and publishers have caught on to the fact that there are many gamers out there that will buy their games even before they are finished developing it. It's funny though that anyone would pay top dollar to play a shitty alpha version of any game. What gets me is that there is no guarantee that the devs (especially the indie ones) will even finish the game. Beyond their reputation, what incentive do they have if they feel they already earned enough money from the early access and that it's not worth continuing development?

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
57. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 23, 2014, 11:00 Desalus

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 04:34:
Bottom line is that you can't design combat encounters and balance enemies to create a satisfying experience for both players who just want to button mash and players who want to be challenged on a tactical level. I'd love for DA3 to prove me wrong but I don't think it's going to happen.

That's very true. If players are expecting tactical combat that will be on par with DA1, they will be disappointed once again. I realize that less tactical combat isn’t being true to Dragon Age’s spiritual predecessor, but it seems like most people prefer more action oriented and fluid combat (Skyrim) compared to more tactical and target based combat (Elder Scrolls Online). I know most DA fans were disappointed with the combat in DA2, but that was most likely due to the expectation that it was going to be like DA1, along with Bioware’s presentation of the combat (almost fitting into over-the-top ridiculous type of combat). It didn’t help that right in the beginning of the game the hero was presented as some sort of super-hero, able to kill hordes of Darkspawn in a few broad strokes of the sword. If DA2 had been given a different title, along with a new setting, players probably would have largely enjoyed it. As dj LiTh stated, DA2 was still better than most role playing games.

Personally while I do appreciate the added depth of more tactical combat, I do enjoy combat that is more action oriented and not interrupted by having to pause the game in order to command my other part members around. For instance, I much prefer the combat of Dragon’s Dogma over the combat of Dragon Age because the combat feels much more visceral, fluid, brutal, and I do not have to baby-sit the other characters in my party. So when I see the more action oriented combat of DA3, my reaction is “damn that looks fun” and not “wtf, this doesn’t look anything like DA1!!!”

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 22, 2014, 16:59 Desalus

So let me get this straight...They take a bunch of NES games, splice them together, and release it as NES Remix for the Wii U. These are still NES games though right? Why in the world would they need more 'machine power' from the 3DS for NES games?  

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
35. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 16:50 Desalus

It seems like people have two reasons why they are not excited for the game:
1) They were disappointed by Dragon Age 2.
2) They do not like Origin and/or EA.

Both of which have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of Dragon Age 3. From what I've seen (30 minute vid of gameplay) and read, the game will exceed the quality and gameplay of the first Dragon Age. BioWare knows they screwed up with DA2 and they have made it a mission to correct those errors with DA3. This game looks like a mixture of the storytelling we expect from Bioware, along with more open world features reminiscent of Elder Scrolls (yes I know it's not completely open world, but it's a lot more open world than DA1 or DA2). I for one am very excited for this game.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 18, 2014, 09:36 Desalus

It seems as if corporate executives live in a world with different rules/standards than the rest of us. Being fired and getting a severance of $58 million...absolutely ridiculous. Angry  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 11:50 Desalus

It very well could simply come down to financial reasons. I just find it strange that he chose to use the word terminated instead of laid-off. When people hear 'termination' they usually think 'fired' (which the article assumed), and to most people being fired means the employee did something wrong whereas being laid-off means it was a financial reason. I'm probably just over analyzing his one sentence tweet however .  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 16, 2014, 09:56 Desalus

It's interesting that his wiki page states this:

O'Donnell is a self-described political conservative, and his coworkers at Bungie described him as the most right-leaning employee at the company.

To be called out on your political views at work is usually not a good thing unless you work in politics. After 15 years as a full time employee, to be terminated 'without cause' usually comes down to personality clashes.

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
23. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 15, 2014, 09:34 Desalus

The merger between CCP and White Wolf appears to one of the most pointless and wasteful mergers I have seen in the gaming industry. What came to fruition from this merger? I know they were working on a tabletop EVE RPG, which was then cancelled. White Wolf no longer publishes anything for its World of Darkness RPG, and instead the company has basically been reformed into a new company Onyx Path. Then there's the cancellation of World of Darkness MMO, which had to have been a huge waste of money.

Sad to see all this work and talent go to waste. I had high hopes for the future of CCP, but not anymore after DUST 514 and the cancellation of WoD. What do we have to look forward to now; more EVE Online expansions and a VR game? Not very exciting for those that are bored with EVE and are not planning on buying a VR headset anytime soon after they come to market.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:53 Desalus

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 14:25:
McTurbo wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 12:28:
boring trailer.. shows nothing about the game.

Doesn't even show anything about the lore... what a waste of 5 minutes

And technically, it's a shitty trailer as well, very hard cuts no setup, no thematic arc... it was directed by a noob.

There are two other cinematic trailers which connect into this one, but they are all tedious action sequences with little substance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNT5cMwxw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMNQozxqos

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Apr 3, 2014, 09:49 Desalus

This game looks like an April Fools joke. In all honesty I wish it was.  

News Comments > Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near
22. Re: Diablo III Missing Items Fix and Preorder Wings Near Mar 21, 2014, 12:53 Desalus

MrGrosser wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 12:41:
What will happen to Paragon Levels when RoS drops? Will you not progress any levels until you reach 70? Will they reset to 0 and you can start gaining them again at 70?

Here is the quote from Blizzard's website:

"After Paragon 2.0 goes live, if you are level 60 and do not have the Reaper of Souls enabled on your account, you will continue to earn Paragon experience in the new system. This is because you are still technically at the level cap. However, if you are level 60 and decide to enable the expansion on your account, you will stop earning Paragon experience. This is because the expansion increases the level cap to 70. Once you reach level 70, you will start to accrue Paragon experience again from where you left off. (So, basically: Only max-level characters will be able to earn Paragon experience. If you don't have the expansion, max-level = 60. If you have the expansion, max-level = 70.)"

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Closed
6. Re: Diablo III Auction House Closed Mar 18, 2014, 10:43 Desalus

Fletch wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 10:36:
If you are still playing D3, then you were probably ok with the existence of the AH (?). This just isn't enough to get me interested in the game. At all.

No, actually I don't think that's the case. If you take a look at the comments on D3's website you will see a lot of players saying how glad they are that the AH is gone. Balancing item drops around the AH was perhaps one of Blizzard's worst ideas. With patch 2.0 and the AH gone, the game is actually worth playing now.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
20. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 23:02 Desalus

I just finished playing DA2, and surprisingly it was actually a fun game! If you aren't expecting it to play exactly like DA1, and you get past the repeated environments, there's actually quite a fun game there. It may not be as good as DA1, but it is definitely not the abomination gamers made it out to be. DA2 seems to have a much stronger narrative for each of the companions, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

So I'm definitely looking forward to DA3. It appears Bioware has taken the criticism to heart and are making the best game of the series. The only thing I am torn about is the DLC that they will inevitably be releasing. When I play through the campaign, I want to play through the DLC and the main game. I don't want to finish the game and then have to go back and play the DLC as it's released. Seems like I'll just end up waiting for the ultimate edition or whatever it will be called.

34 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo