Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Desalus

Real Name Desalus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2013, 02:11
Total Comments 88 (Suspect)
User ID 57911

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
44. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 09:46 Desalus

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 08:01:
I honestly don't get Microsoft's strategy with the Kinect. It was bundled with the XB1 yet Microsoft clearly had NO plan to utilise it or support it. Microsoft is blundering from one abortion to another.

It's pretty clear that the Kinect was dumped by MS simply because the XB1 + Kinect at $500 could not compete with the PS4 at $400. I'm sure MS had every intention of continuing support for the Kinect, but they simply couldn't compete with the competition given the extra cost of the Kinect. If MS "clearly had no plan" to utilize or support the Kinect, they wouldn't have launched the XB1 bundled with it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
25. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 12:48 Desalus

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:41:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:17:
Here's the inevitable, SHOCKING interview with a Rocksteady developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBngocx0DhI
This is beyond any doubt the greatest fake translation I've seen. It's perfect.

I'll second that. That was amazing :).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2015, 10:18 Desalus

RE: Destiny

No wonder people are reacting so negatively. Luke Smith seems to think it's one big joke.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 09:57 Desalus

I'm a bit surprised that the game runs so terribly considering Rocksteady is using the same engine as their previous two games. Here's yet another example of why it's a good idea to never preorder a game.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 23, 2015, 09:44 Desalus

What a silly proposition. Perhaps Nathan should just stop buying new games until he finishes what he already has. I know it's difficult when you're addicted to games, but it's a simpler solution.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
38. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 16:28 Desalus

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:17:
It's not apartheid because it's not predicated on race. In this case it's simple prejudice or bigotry. It would be akin to calling it 'mechanical Jim Crow' which would be stupid. Just call them what they are, technophobes or luddites.

"Race, as a social concept, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics" - Wikipedia.

Perhaps in the world of Deus Ex, race has been redefined to include not only a person's ethnicity or ancestory, but also what their body is made out of. I'd say it's entirely plausible. If enough people started augmenting their bodies with machines, I'd probably start regarding them as a different race myself.

36. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 16:13 Desalus

gravity wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:59:
We get it. It's not offensive to you. You're privileged in that sense, to not be offended by that word, and to instead be someone who considers it harmless.

That said, can you at least agree that a bit of empathy, on how others may see the word colored with stains of blood, and distress?

If so, great - welcome to the world of empathy.

Otherwise - /shrug, you're acting a bit selfish and will never see outside of your own world of privilege, no matter the discussion.

Yes, I can clearly see why people would associate apartheid with the inhumane racial segregation of South Africa. However, I don't think that should necessarily mean that a word should never be used outside of the context of its original meaning. In the case of Deus Ex, the context of apartheid is appropriate. The subject matter is not being made light of, and instead it is being treated very seriously. No harm done in my point of view.

Unfortunately, the closest word to apartheid is segregation and it can be used outside of the context of human beings. So if they said 'mechanical segregation' someone might think they were separating machines from one another. 'Apartheid' gives it the human element it needs.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 16:02 Desalus

Luke wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:42:
Here some are babbeling about 50$ - 60$ for a game is waaayy tooo much , while on the other hand some are paying 1000$ and more in Funding for another "game"

????

ArenaNet is no Chris Roberts!

Fion wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:24:
Am I the only one finds most of this argument rather contrived? Used to be when an expansion released that included the base game, the company was praised for it.

As far as I recall, whenever this was done players were always given the option of buying the expansion separate from the base game for less money. Or the expansions were released as stand-alone games that didn't need the original game to play.

33. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 15:54 Desalus

harlock wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:40:

Origin of APARTHEID

Afrikaans, from apart apart + -heid -hood
First Known Use: 1947

pretty fuckin clear cut if you ask me

Yes, because clearly the definitions of words have never changed throughout history and we always use the original meanings. Brood

30. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 15:22 Desalus

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:18:
I'm also not sure about the trolling connection. You're comparing my harmless trolling to a publisher trademarking "apartheid". Seriously?
You might want to get a clue about history and watch some documentaries about apartheid in SA, Nelson Mandela and Steven Biko to understand that it is absolutely outrageous of Eidos to disrespectfully trademark the term just to advertise a violent video game.

They trademarked 'mechanical apartheid' and not 'apartheid'. There is a difference.

Also, some dictionaries have a separate definition for apartheid which is not connected with South Africa, so the word doesn't necessarily have to be related. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apartheid

8. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 10:33 Desalus

There's controversy over the theme of of Mankind Divided? You're kidding me right? Heaven forbid if a video game actually tackles serious societal issues like every other form of media has.  

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced
11. Re: Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced Jun 17, 2015, 17:22 Desalus

While I enjoyed the first game I thought the sequels were a lot more varied and entertaining. I really have no desire to play through the first game again with updated visuals. If this remastered version included Gears 1-3 and Judgement, that might actually be worth a purchase.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 17:32 Desalus

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 14:58:
My guess for next season: John Snow is brought back from the dead via the red Priestess, who uses the same Red Priest/Priestess ability used to bring back the guy the Mountain kills repeatedly in the books and briefly in the show,(also killed by the Hound).

In an interview with Kit Harrington, he was asked whether there is any chance Jon will be back and he said that the directors sat him down and told him that it was over for good. There's the chance that Jon may be resurrected in the books, but in the show it appears not. The show has generally avoided many of the magical aspects of books (Coldhands, Lady Stoneheart, Mance Rayder's survival), so if Jon is not critical to the ending of the story I highly doubt they will bring him back.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2015, 14:15 Desalus

I have to say that the show has done a much better job at pacing than the books. 'A Feast for Crows' was such a bore that it would have made for a terrible season if it had been followed closely. I got about 200 pages into 'A Dance of Dragons' and became extremely bored of Tyrion's painfully slow journey through the East and I haven't picked up the book in a year and half to finish it. After 'A Storm of Swords' the excitement and thrill of the narrative nearly died. It seems like George had no idea how to rebuild the drama after the third book and he made it even worse by writing far too much and splitting it into two books.

I'm on episode 6 of season 5 and so far I've liked how they have changed the story to make it more exciting than the books (although Jaime's adventure seems quite far fetched). They have done a phenomenally better job at making Brienne's storyline actually interesting. For what they were given as source material I think the writers have done a very good job.

News Comments > Mad Max Savage Road Trailer
14. Re: Mad Max Savage Road Trailer May 26, 2015, 17:13 Desalus

walrus1 wrote on May 26, 2015, 15:58:
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade. But based on this trailer I expect a 10-12 hour game with a hell of lot of cut scenes and no exploration.

ItBurn wrote on May 26, 2015, 13:14:
I dunno. As far as I can tell, it's a linear third person brawler with driving? It looked a bit amateurish, but story and voice acting looked ok. Can't say I'm too excited for yet another of those games...

You two must have not seen the Mad Max gameplay walkthrough video that came out a few weeks ago: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/160980/mad-max-trailer

They say it's open world, but like GTA the main storyline is probably linear. Could be 10-12 hours, but the exploration is definitely there.

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 26, 2015, 14:37:
I thought that guy's name was Rictus Erectus, not Scrotus.

Even though they resemble one another, I think they are two different characters.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
16. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 09:55 Desalus

Lord Tea wrote on May 21, 2015, 09:45:
Nope. Wrong. I don't understand. Plenty of games out there that are PC only and do/did extremely well. Wasteland 2 for example. And tons of other indie games.

You're comparing Witcher 3 to Wasteland 2 and other indie games? C'mon, it doesn't take that much insight to realize that the budget for Witcher 3 was many times greater than the budget for Wasteland 2 and other indie games.

News Comments > Blade & Soul Coming West This Winter
6. Re: Blade & Soul Coming West This Winter May 20, 2015, 15:47 Desalus

If it's taking them more than three years to localize this, NCSoft must already be anticipating that it will not generate that much revenue for them.

The website's main 'selling points' for the game are extremely laughable:
"Become a Powerful Fighter!
Glide, sprint and jump across a visually stunning & unique world!
Avenge the Fallen.
Master the Art of War!"

So there's almost nothing to differentiate this from the mountain of other MMORPGs that have been released to date. Why should anyone be excited about this?

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 14, 2015, 10:47 Desalus

InBlack wrote on May 14, 2015, 09:17:
PHJF wrote on May 14, 2015, 08:58:
ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Yeah, heard that it got universally good (re)views from the critics. So did Prometheus prior to release, and look how that turned out...

Prometheus had no where near 100% before its June 8, 2012 release. Prior to that day it received 38 total splats out of around 120 reviews which equals out to a rating of 68%. Not sure if you are remembering that correctly unless you checked the rating quite early before many reviews were in.

Mad Max on the other hand stands at 1 splat out of 94 reviews the day before its release. The next 30 some reviews would all have to be splats to drop it down to the same rating as Prometheus. I think it's safe to say that Mad Max has been much better received and enjoyed than Prometheus.

I'm definitely looking forward to it seeing it this weekend. The first trailer I saw of the movie with its classical music and choral score completely turned me off (I think it was the theatrical teaser trailer). Then I saw the second trailer and my opinion of the movie did a 180 because the trailer's musical score gives it a completely different feel. It's amazing how much of a difference music can make in trailers and movies.

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
15. Re: Mad Max Trailer Apr 23, 2015, 12:06 Desalus

Wow, that actually looks like it will be a hell of a good time. I never bothered to pay much attention to this because I assumed since it was tied to a movie franchise it would be shit. I guess when a competent studio is developing it and the publisher doesn't push it out the door too early, they can actually make a great looking game. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this one from now on.  

News Comments > WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming?
3. Re: WildStar Off AU Shelves; F2P Coming? Apr 15, 2015, 09:14 Desalus

Judging by NCSoft's past, it's more likely they will shut the game down (Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault, City of Heroes). It's seems that they are only willing to turn their own in-house games into F2P (Lineage 2, Aion).  

88 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo