Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Desalus

Real Name Desalus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Oct 30, 2013, 02:11
Total Comments 99 (Suspect)
User ID 57911

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 10:07 Desalus

Frags4Fun wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:04:
So what happens if I do a free upgrade and after a year, I decide that I don't want to pay and I want to go back to Win7/8/8.1, will my old license be nuked?

If you upgrade within a year from now it's free forever. The only reason you would have to pay is if you don't upgrade within the next year. If you want to go back to a previous Windows version I'm sure the key would still be valid (at least that's how it has worked in the past).

I would invite you to visit the Windows 10 website for more information.

Edit: If you want to download it now (instead of waiting for your 'reserved' copy) you can go here to download the ISO files.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2015, 10:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 09:49 Desalus

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 09:43:
So what's the deal with this "free" upgrade and how long does it last?

You need Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to upgrade for free and it's free for a year. If you're using one of those operating systems you should have a windows symbol in your taskbar which allows you to reserve your copy for download.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 09:43 Desalus

He lives less than three miles away from me so I had a brief urge to go do something mischievous. However, considering his name is ruined, his dental practice is most likely ruined, and he might be charged with poaching, I'm guessing he's already learned his lesson.  

News Comments > Victor Vran Released
5. Re: Victor Vran Released Jul 24, 2015, 12:00 Desalus

Alamar wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 11:13:
"I hunt demons for a living"... WTF is Geralt doing hunting demons here?

I had the same exact thought. Seems like they are trying to capitalize on the success of the Witcher by having the same voice actor or someone who sounds exactly like him.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2015, 12:05.

News Comments > Smedley Leaves Daybreak
15. Re: Smedley Leaves Daybreak Jul 23, 2015, 16:33 Desalus

Cutter wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 15:44:
SOE should have fired his ass with the Vanguard fiasco. That could have been such an amazeballs game. And chief bean counter taking over the role? Oh yeah, that'll work out well. Rolleyes I'm guessing we'll see Daybreak games dead inside a year, two at most.

Vanguard was doomed from the start because of the managerial ineptitude of Brad McQuaid. SOE was the only reason the fiasco turned into a playable game after they took over full development.

On another note, I doubt many will be saddened to hear the news of Smedley leaving. I don't recall very many positive things said about him among SOE's fans. It seems Smedley was always to blame for every unpopular decision that was made to change a MMORPG(and there were a lot of them).

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
25. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 13:52 Desalus

"As gamers, one of the coolest features coming with Windows 10 is the Xbox app."

Am I missing something or is the Xbox app completely worthless if you don't own a Xbox One? Microsoft makes it sound like PC gamers should be excited about it regardless of whether or not they own a XBONE, but to me it looks like the app is entirely tied into owning the console.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4
4. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade Switches to Unreal Engine 4 Jul 16, 2015, 12:38 Desalus

Switching game engines 2 years into development typically isn't a good sign. I never had high hopes for this game and now it seems even more likely that the game will never see the light of day or it will be a pile of shit. I'm not sure why Games Workshop gave the 40k license to a developer with a track record of making terrible games.

It's really too bad that the 40K MMO didn't work out for Vigil Games. I had some faith that they could actually make a good game, unlike Behaviour Interactive.

News Comments > Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem
21. Re: Gearbox May Outsource Next Duke Nukem Jul 15, 2015, 12:22 Desalus

How many people actually care if this franchise continues? From my point of view most people were only interested in DNF because they were curious to see how the game would finally turn out. After it proved to be a pile of shit, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those people have simply lost interest in Duke Nukem.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 12:08 Desalus

How's the multiplayer aspect of the game? Is it worth the download?

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
65. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 14:32 Desalus

About the only time you see developers admit to anything being amiss is when the company is about to go bankrupt and the people being laid off start talking. Until then it's always the same PR bullshit about everything being just fine.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
17. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 13:57 Desalus

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:45:
Jesus, could that clown have had his tongue up his ass any further? And then they wonder why no one takes game "journalists" seriously.

As Sean took the ship into space I had to laugh/cringe when the IGN journalist said, "That..okay..well just blew my mind. That was, that was a thing that just happened. We were just walking around, you were swimming under water, and now you're in space." He said it as if he had NEVER seen a trailer of this game before. Nothing that was shown off looks very exciting and yet he acts like everything he is witness to is groundbreaking. Sean shows him two moons and he exclaims "Oh my goodness."

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
44. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 30, 2015, 09:46 Desalus

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 08:01:
I honestly don't get Microsoft's strategy with the Kinect. It was bundled with the XB1 yet Microsoft clearly had NO plan to utilise it or support it. Microsoft is blundering from one abortion to another.

It's pretty clear that the Kinect was dumped by MS simply because the XB1 + Kinect at $500 could not compete with the PS4 at $400. I'm sure MS had every intention of continuing support for the Kinect, but they simply couldn't compete with the competition given the extra cost of the Kinect. If MS "clearly had no plan" to utilize or support the Kinect, they wouldn't have launched the XB1 bundled with it.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
25. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 12:48 Desalus

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:41:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 11:17:
Here's the inevitable, SHOCKING interview with a Rocksteady developer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBngocx0DhI
This is beyond any doubt the greatest fake translation I've seen. It's perfect.

I'll second that. That was amazing :).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2015, 10:18 Desalus

RE: Destiny

No wonder people are reacting so negatively. Luke Smith seems to think it's one big joke.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 09:57 Desalus

I'm a bit surprised that the game runs so terribly considering Rocksteady is using the same engine as their previous two games. Here's yet another example of why it's a good idea to never preorder a game.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 23, 2015, 09:44 Desalus

What a silly proposition. Perhaps Nathan should just stop buying new games until he finishes what he already has. I know it's difficult when you're addicted to games, but it's a simpler solution.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
38. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 16:28 Desalus

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 16:17:
It's not apartheid because it's not predicated on race. In this case it's simple prejudice or bigotry. It would be akin to calling it 'mechanical Jim Crow' which would be stupid. Just call them what they are, technophobes or luddites.

"Race, as a social concept, is a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics" - Wikipedia.

Perhaps in the world of Deus Ex, race has been redefined to include not only a person's ethnicity or ancestory, but also what their body is made out of. I'd say it's entirely plausible. If enough people started augmenting their bodies with machines, I'd probably start regarding them as a different race myself.

36. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 16:13 Desalus

gravity wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:59:
We get it. It's not offensive to you. You're privileged in that sense, to not be offended by that word, and to instead be someone who considers it harmless.

That said, can you at least agree that a bit of empathy, on how others may see the word colored with stains of blood, and distress?

If so, great - welcome to the world of empathy.

Otherwise - /shrug, you're acting a bit selfish and will never see outside of your own world of privilege, no matter the discussion.

Yes, I can clearly see why people would associate apartheid with the inhumane racial segregation of South Africa. However, I don't think that should necessarily mean that a word should never be used outside of the context of its original meaning. In the case of Deus Ex, the context of apartheid is appropriate. The subject matter is not being made light of, and instead it is being treated very seriously. No harm done in my point of view.

Unfortunately, the closest word to apartheid is segregation and it can be used outside of the context of human beings. So if they said 'mechanical segregation' someone might think they were separating machines from one another. 'Apartheid' gives it the human element it needs.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 16:02 Desalus

Luke wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:42:
Here some are babbeling about 50$ - 60$ for a game is waaayy tooo much , while on the other hand some are paying 1000$ and more in Funding for another "game"

????

ArenaNet is no Chris Roberts!

Fion wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:24:
Am I the only one finds most of this argument rather contrived? Used to be when an expansion released that included the base game, the company was praised for it.

As far as I recall, whenever this was done players were always given the option of buying the expansion separate from the base game for less money. Or the expansions were released as stand-alone games that didn't need the original game to play.

33. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 15:54 Desalus

harlock wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 15:40:

Origin of APARTHEID

Afrikaans, from apart apart + -heid -hood
First Known Use: 1947

pretty fuckin clear cut if you ask me

Yes, because clearly the definitions of words have never changed throughout history and we always use the original meanings. Brood

99 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo