Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MindTrigger

Real Name MindTrigger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MindTrigger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 243456502
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 21, 2000, 04:23
Total Comments 1450 (Pro)
User ID 5789

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Anthology Announced
37. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2006, 19:16 MindTrigger

I agree with everyone who loved the first Unreal game. It really was mind blowing back then. One of my fondest old gaming memories.

After that, I couldn't get into it. I remember thinking that the Unreal engine looked more "real" than the other game engines out at the time, and I fully expected it (in my mind) to continue down that path. Instead it evolved into the cartoony turd we have today. The Unreal 3 engine finally looks like a step back in the right direction, but only time will tell.

Unreal 2 was kinda fun, and not bad looking. I LOVED the weapons, but it wasn't awe inspiring like Unreal 1.

-----
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"This is Red 5, I'm going in."
Spam: Gamers over 25 unite! www.2old2play.com

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Prey Demo Next Week
1. No subject Jun 15, 2006, 19:11 MindTrigger

Kick ass. Not sure if the gameplay will be cool or not, but it will be well worth a try I think.

-----

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

News Comments > Blizzard Denies MMO Rumors
7. Re: Hmm Jun 14, 2006, 13:52 MindTrigger

Hell, I'm only playing WoW cause there are no other decennt MMOs going on. It's a decent game I guess, but WAY too cartoony for me to play it any longer than I have to.

It really is no wonder WoW has so many subs when you look around at all the garbage out there.

-----

--

News Comments > BF2142 Demo & Beta Plans
20. Re: quake wars Jun 10, 2006, 05:54 MindTrigger

Pussies. I'll give it a try.

-----

--

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Blue, don't let this happen to you. Jun 9, 2006, 11:38 MindTrigger

I will almost never slam on the brakes and swerve to avoid any animal. The chances of getting into an accident from this action are very high. I learned this lesson when I first started driving. Swerved to miss some tree-rodent on the road and got my car sideways until a friendly oak was kind enough to stop me.

I recently brained a desert rabbit going 120 in my Audi S4 on my way to Vegas. Dumb little bastard ran out in front of me and I didn't even blink. He went under the front of my car and broke the engine cowling pretty good. Left some fur and skin on various low lying areas under there. Audi 1, Rabbits 0.

Dogs are a different story though. For a cool dog, I might wreck my car. Long as it's not one of those little rat lookin' things.

-----
This comment was edited on Jun 9, 11:39.

--

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Expands Today
28. Re: A what? Jun 8, 2006, 23:32 MindTrigger

Creston, they had 32 professions before they hacked the game to bits with the New Game Experience "NGE". I was there in 2003 when the game was new. I estimate they took out about 75% of the original game features with the NGE.

-----

--

22. Re: SWG:The end? Jun 8, 2006, 19:55 MindTrigger

Swerve,

Here we are at June and the old structures are still there. I was on Bria which is one of the higher poplation servers (you see 10 or 15 people now and then), and there are giant empty player cities everwhere. People on the forums are still asking for SOE to remove them, but the excuse is that there are people in the game now who are using some of these structures from old friends as storage areas. They are affraid to delete stuff and get sued by active players. The percentage of people using these to the number of subcribers has to be rediculously low. There are thousands of abandoned homes on Bria.

-----

--

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Rumor Control
38. Re: ... Jun 8, 2006, 19:47 MindTrigger

BTW, you pointed out a flaw in my first comment, which was that I assumed everyone needs games to be hard. I see what you mean about some people just wanting to plink away and have fun. Calling them mouth-breathers was a bit harsh.

The bad thing for "Type A" Gamers is that we are the minority, and there aren't many games around anymore that allow us to really have fun. I found BF2 to be fun until I realized none of the community was creating or using player made maps. I miss the old days when community maps were ran all the time.

Looking forward to Quake Wars

-----
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 19:50.

--

37. Re: ... Jun 8, 2006, 19:41 MindTrigger

I'm not confused. I'm 34 years old myself. My career is working out great for me, and I have many other hobbies besides gaming. Most of which include the outdoors. I like my games to be a challenge to learn and play. I don't know why you think all games have to be relaxing. I have meditation, swimming pool, and booze to relax me

That's probably where we differ. Gaming to me isn't relaxation time, it's stimulation time. I'm sure I'm not alone in this as I hear people around here talk all the time about how boring, and dumbed-down games feel these days. As a coder, I completely avoid my computer when I want to kick back. I actually like to wrench on my Jeep to relax. I find that after a long day at work using my brain on code, putting my hands to work on my vehicles is very refreshing.

As far as reaction speed goes, I know I'm not as fast as some of the sugar eating kids around here. Doesn't matter though because I have learned other skills in games that more than make up for it. Seems to work, because no matter what FPS game it is, it's only a short matter of time before I'm near the top of the score list on a regular basis. I don't consider myself elite because I don't play enough, but I am certainly way above average, which is fine by me. Anything more would require not having much of a life outside of gaming and work. Would also equal a divorce

I've decided that it's like any other skill. You become a veteran through "surviving" for so long that you just tend to do the right thing without thinking about it no matter where you are. Most of the kids I know that have fast twitch, aren't very strategic. Those are the skills I learned early on when FPS games were actually challenging. Quake 1/2 high speed, and Tribes 1/2 multi-dimentional battle tought me the most.

-----

--

33. Re: ... Jun 8, 2006, 17:10 MindTrigger

Cabezone,

It's traditionally helpful to include a quote or at least a name when you are asking a question. Unless you are replying to the post directly beneath your own, and it's obvious you are doing so.

-----

--

News Comments > DDO Goes Solo
31. Re: alone together Jun 8, 2006, 17:07 MindTrigger

The problem is, in the end the gameplay is king. If you take out the "carrot" for people to group, the game will die faster. Sure *some* people just want to solo and be around other players without grouping. The majority want to be involved in groups and guilds. If you take away the need for this, people will go off solo until they get bored, the they leave. I've watched all of this happen in various games. Hell I left guild wars because of it. The game is fun as hell, but the grouping and community aspect of it are pure crap. After a while you just feel alone.

In SWG I made a lot of good friends in hunting/xp groups. Had a lot of great chats and experiences in those groups too. Just random conversation while gaming. Without the groups, you can kinda BS with your guild I guess, but that puts you in a bubble.

I'm prone to be a loaner a lot of the time, and I like the option of going either way. I have no problem with the fact that when I'm a loaner, I won't be doing elite content. Makes perfect sense to me.

-----
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 17:28.

--

16. Re: SWG sucks guys... and SOE is lying Jun 8, 2006, 16:51 MindTrigger

Swerv,

I check back on the game every 5-6 months by firing up one of my accounts and giving it a chance. Most people won't do that, but I really want the game to succeed. I just played a 2 months stint to see if it was any better. It wasn't. Low server populations, angry community (the people still playing it), iconic professions did more damage to the "Star Warsiness" of the game than the original 32 professions, etc. It's just a shell of what it was pre NGE. Jedi as a balanced starting profession? Retarded. I could go on for days about what they have done wrong, but there are plenty of angry posts on the SWG forums if anyone cares much. I suspect few do.

I will check back with the game around Xmas time when they will supposedly have all of the profession specialization stuff and new content in. Until then it's just painful to sit around and wait for publishes. How long as 29 taken now?

As far as comparing SWG to games like EVE, you really can't. EVE is a niche game with one big ass server cluster. SWG has WAY too many servers up still, and small population is spread out over them. Most of the time even the bigger servers feel like ghost towns. I doubt they will ever get the subscribers they want. Not until there is a whole new game, anyway.

Star Trek Online and Stargate Online are in development. Once there are a couple decent Sci-fi MMOs to go to, SWG is toast. They are coasting on die hard Star Wars fans at this point, and most of them are NOT happy with the game. I'm playing WoW out of total desperation. When I compare WoW to what pre-NGE SWG had, I just laugh. They really blew it.

-----
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 16:53.

--

28. Re: ... Jun 8, 2006, 15:52 MindTrigger

Dreagon,

What you are talking about been happening over about 10 years now. When *real online gaming was in it's infancy with shooters like Quake, you either learned very quickly how to kick ass in the game, or you died every 15 seconds. I tried to get several of my friends into Quake1/2 back then and they couldn't stay alive long enough to enjoy it.

Do I think this is a bad thing? NO! I learned how to kick ass, and then it was no longer a problem. I'm considered a "niche" or "extreme" circumstance by game companies now in that I actually want to have to bust my ass to be good at the game. The lion's share of the gaming market now are full of mouth breathing morons who prefer mindless, skilless content. What game hasn't been dumbed down over the last few years?

Hell look at console games. You basically aim in someone's general direction and fire. Those I consider "real gamers" are the ones worried about per-poly hit detection, where you actually have to aim and can single out a head shot or arm shot.

I don't know what the answer is. What I do know is that the current state of gaming is only a tiny peice of what's happening in our society. EVERYTHING is being dumbed down, including what we use to call "rights".

Maybe some small companies will come around and cater to my niche market of skilled, thinking gamers. Maybe we are just screwed. If the trend continues, I won't be a gamer as long as I thought I would.

End of Rant.

-----

--

17. Re: ... Jun 8, 2006, 14:03 MindTrigger

We all win with games like that coming down the road.

I decided to pick up WoW the other day so I could play it for the next 5 months until the new stuff starts rolling out. I don't really care for fantasy games much, being a sci fi lover, but WoW is a fairly fun game to play. I can see why it's so popular, although part of that I think is because it's got decent gameplay AND the graphics will run on a mediocre system. This significantly increases your potential customer base. I wish the graphics were at least closer to the quality of Guild Wars, but I don't mind it much. I have all the settings maxed and it doesn't even begin to dent my X2 SLI 7900 GTXs

Anyway, I know that was OT, but there is nothing real exciting in gaming right now. I'm just killing time till Xmas. I was hoping Huxely would be done for the holidays too, but it's looking like '07 now.

-----

--

9. Re: Keep the faith! Jun 8, 2006, 12:49 MindTrigger

Another game that had a great original spec, but has been being stripped down for the past 2 years. I consider this game irrelevant at this point. The wow factor they had with the graphics is worth nothing now that the features have become commonplace.

-----
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 12:52.

--

10. Re: sigh Jun 8, 2006, 12:44 MindTrigger

I just cancelled my accounts for the 3rd time since Oct 2003, a few days ago. God I really wanted this game to work. They had such a good thing going, and now in their greed to try to catch up with WoW, they have destroyed the game. How do you manage to screw up the Star Wars IP? You have a giant, dedicated audience already built in. You just need to make a decent game, morons.

Well, let's hope Lucas gives the SWG 2 contract to someone else.

-----

--

14. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 15:21 MindTrigger

Check out Star Wars Galaxies. They made the entire game (the latest version anyway) soloable pretty much. People are running through and farming the high end dungeons. No one groups for xp or any other reason because they don't need to. Sure some people group because they are friends, but the game has become mostly antisocial. There use to be various advantages to grouping, including an XP bonus, but they removed it all. The next publish that is coming out PUTS IT BACK IN. High end mobs and dungeons will require grouping, as it should be.

Without some sort of forced grouping in there, the community dies. One big lesson SOE is leaning about SWG was that they destroyed the community by removing all of the player interdependencies. Sure, there should be room in there for the casual players, but I think those people also have to realize that the whole game shouldn't be dumbed down or limited just because they don't play as much or wish to be loners.

-----

--

7. Re: LOL Jun 7, 2006, 13:12 MindTrigger

I was kinda hoping LoTRO was going to turn out cool. It looks nice, but I'm not holding on to hope for fun gameplay.

-----

--

5. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 13:00 MindTrigger

I agree. If you go out and buy an MMO, and expect the game to cater to your solo playstyle, you might need to just go buy a friggin offline RPG.

I have no problem with online games having *some* content for people who only have a short time to play sometimes, but expecting to play the whole game without grouping or joining a guild is ludicrous.

-----
This comment was edited on Jun 7, 13:01.

--

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BF2 Armored Fury
11. Re: ranking system Jun 6, 2006, 17:08 MindTrigger

I assume this will be another expansion that further fragments their player base. No thanks.

-----

--

1450 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo