Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian Merzak

Real Name Brian Merzak   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Rossini
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 23, 2013, 19:45
Total Comments 28 (Suspect)
User ID 57885

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2014, 15:45 Rossini

jdreyer wrote on May 30, 2014, 13:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 30, 2014, 09:35:
Wow. Should have been a fire sale for the Clippers, instead Ballmer pays a premium. This is for the team only, well -- and a small practice facility. A few years from now, if not sooner, people will be talking about the ridiculous price he paid for the team and how much Ballner's lost on the deal.

This was my thought. $2B just seems insane. This has consistently been one of the worst teams in the league. What was the estimated value of the team?

EDIT: Read Rossini's comment. Some good points, but this isn't the Dodgers. Maybe it's just "too much" instead of "insanely too much?"

The general consensus is the Clippers have been so bad because the Sterling's used NBA revenue sharing as a personal piggy bank for decades. But the current T.V. deal is up in year or two. The Laker deal was at least $3 billon for 20 years and Dodgers $8+ billion for 25 years. Recent luck with Paul and Griffin, the unusually competent hiring of Rivers plus non-cheap ownership should make them attractive in a bidding war between TWC, DirecTV, Verison, etc. All of whom are desperate for content.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2014, 12:52 Rossini

The Clipper price actually makes sense given...
- The Dodgers just sold for a couple of billion.
- There were a couple of other 1.5+ billion dollar offers on the table.
- The ridiculously lucrative cable T.V. deals the Dodgers and Lakers recently concluded.
- The team is 'hot' with players Chris Paul (thanks to David Stern) and Blake Griffin coming into their primes vs. aging and injury prone Kobe and Steve Nash.

With a good T.V. deal, Ballmer has a good shot recouping his investment.

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Gives Shooter Loot
10. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Gives Shooter Loot May 6, 2014, 01:50 Rossini

eRe4s3r wrote on May 5, 2014, 21:34:
The Half Elf wrote on May 5, 2014, 21:00:
I don't care what it gives, I have no desire to go back to Pandora anytime in the next 3 years.

Well, they have to severely improve the writing and I will come back At this point, 99% of the stuff in Borderlands annoys the holy socks out of me.

I found story in the Tiny Tina DLC was actually pretty good and the main game story was decent for a shooter. But I too have no desire to revisit Pandora for a few years.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead May 1, 2014, 11:21 Rossini

One thing I didn't see in Blue's post but in Frior's message is...

"...In recognition of this experience and to show our gratitude to everyone who supported the launch, we are giving an additional five days of included game time to every ESO player who set up an active account prior to 8pm EDT Thursday May 1st and who are currently enjoying their 30 days of included game time."

If I read that right, it sounds like if you sign up before 8pm EDT today, you'll get an extra 5 'free' days.

I don't know if I'd recommend buying it now for those extra free days. I like the game, but I'm also on the fence about canceling my sub until a lot of things get fixed and polished.

9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead May 1, 2014, 11:06 Rossini

Frijoles wrote on May 1, 2014, 10:53:
Increased ability to pick up items in the world

Wonder wtf that means.

There are a lot of boxes, barrels, cabinets, etc. you can interact with to loot. But there are a lot that look like you should be able to loot that you can't. Also, they'd talked in the past about looting weapon and armor racks. I've yet to encounter any of those that were loot-able.

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead May 1, 2014, 11:02 Rossini

Darks wrote on May 1, 2014, 09:49:
I just finished the Daggerfall faction quest line the other day. Loved every bit of it. I won’t give away details on how they give you an option at the end. But it was pretty kewl to keep on progressing after level 50.

BTW, you dont stop leveling after 50, you more to vetern levels after that.

Are you talking about after completing all the VR content?Or the events leading up to the final fight in Coldharbour?

I just finished the big fight at the end of Coldharbour and hit VR1. The dungeons and quests, where they weren't broken, were a lot of fun. Except for weapon swapping which bugs out on me occasionally, I really like the combat system. Some of the other stuff like the inventory/bank UI, guild stores, etc. makes me wonder if the devs play their own game.

5. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead May 1, 2014, 10:48 Rossini

Stanly Manly wrote on May 1, 2014, 10:38:
HorrorScope wrote on May 1, 2014, 10:23:
A system that allows grouped players to see each other even when they’re in different phases.

This was my #1 issue why I wouldn't consider it, not saying the only one. But man I asked over and over and players said "It was fixed", obviously it's not since it's on their list. Man it sucks when the player base can't be straight with direct questions.

Fanboys and shills... fanboys and shills...

Don't ever expect a real answer from the kinds of "players" who sing the praises of games like this.

Actually it is 'partially' fixed. I've not had a problem in group dungeons all the way through level 50. It is, however, still broken out in the regular world. And it's beginning to look, to me at least, to be a design flaw.

News Comments > Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned
42. Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned Apr 21, 2014, 20:18 Rossini

BitWraith wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 08:42:
Yeah my ignore list is getting pretty hefty. I keep ignoring them, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Get the addon LibAntiSpam from esoui.com. It works even better than the SpamFilter addon because it tracks the banned account separately from your ignore list and thus your ignore list doesn't fill up. Also, it prevents the guild invite spam. I've not had one of those since I first installed it.

News Comments > Dupe Bug Causes ESO Bank Closures
7. Re: Dupe Bug Causes ESO Bank Closures Apr 18, 2014, 19:56 Rossini

I hope the PS4 and XB1 players appreciate our beta testing for them. This item duping doesn't bother me too much because the trade tools they've given us are so shitty. It's hard find the stuff you want to buy in the first place with the guild store interface. And then to figure out how to price your items for sale you have to look through several separate guild stores.

Meanwhile, I patched today but no sign of my missing bank slots. The previous patch has me falling through the world at least a couple times a day. It only happened to me once in beta. I also had to kill the game twice today due to being stuck on (non-Cyrodiil) loading screens. In a lot of ways it seems like it's amateur hour over there.

Still I'm having a lot of fun with the stories, quests and especially group dungeons.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
47. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 16:04 Rossini

I've been having a lot of fun the past few days leveling up an AD NB and a DC Sorc. I can't decided between them.

A couple of addons that are "must have's" are LootDrop (in conjunction with auto-loot) and SpamFilter. The latter puts most of the gold spammers into your ignore list automatically. You can also add rules to it for spammers it can't determine. esoui.com seems like a good place to grab these.

Edit: LootDrop shows what you've looted in a little scrolling window at the bottom right of your screen. It fades out after a bit.

A note about the Recount addon someone mentioned above. It only works for your damage.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2014, 16:10.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
46. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 15:59 Rossini

Alamar wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 12:11:
Darks wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:09:
Alamar, you might be interested in checking out Wykkyds mod for ESO. its a very nice UI mod and much more. It has a ton of features to turn on and off.

http://www.curse.com/teso-addons/teso/wykkyds-framework

Just came back from curse to see what it offered... Was surprised to see Recount; Didn't know the numbers were available. Thanks for the suggestion; I like the 'slightly improved' addons, though I may also try the WarLegend HUD.

What I really found I missed yesterday, was after turning auto loot on, I had no idea what I was looting, and found no way to turn it on in the chat window, which meant I would have to open my inventory to see the new stuff every time.

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:46:
JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 11:40:
My only real criticism so far is the FOV...seriously, do the developers even play videogames?!

Yes, but they play them on shitty consoles that can't handle a higher FOV at a decent resolution...

Though I'd be surprised if the PS4 can't just run this at 90FOV @ 1080p with a decent framerate, because visually it really isn't all that spectacular.

While it's true, smaller FOV renders less objects, I always thought the smaller FOV was because couches sit further away than computer chairs...

Either case is irrelevant on a PC, where options should always be available, especially trivial ones like this.

-Alamar

Paul Sage said in early March they are working on an FOV slider. In the recent AMA on Reddit he said it wouldn't be in for launch. Hopefully, it will show up fairly soon.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 27, 2014, 23:07 Rossini

I'm still trying to figure out why you would want total consciousness on your deathbed.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
49. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:58 Rossini

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 16:30:
I find their Tamriel to be rather watered down and bland. The sheer volume of bugs at this stage is unforgivable. Over half of the quests I did couldn't be completed. On the orc island I think there were only 3 or 4 I could complete and therefore had no way off the island. This at 2 weeks before launch? Cereal?

Classes. TES are class free games. If they're going to do classes then they should have done all the classics instead of 4 crappy hybrids.

Console game. It's a console game with a console UI. I hate that shit so much! It's like DCUO. You feel completely crippled and limited playing games like this on the PC when you compare them to things like CoX or most any other PC MMO with a few hotbars worth of stuff at your disposal. Then they take the absolute worst aspects of Skyrim - the console UI for inventory, quests, etc and use that!!! Wtf?

Crafting is shite and far too hard to grind basic stuff. Christ, you can even craft multiple items! You have to sit there and click create item over and over.

100s of other people all doing the same boring quests as you - the chosen one - make it considerably less special.

I could go on and on pulling this game apart but it's not worth my time. They not only fail to leave the worst of TES behind and improve it, they fail to advance the MMO genre and actually move backward in many cases. They made just about every wrong decision possible in creating this game.

Bethsoft are fools for wasting money on this and instead should have worked on doing limited MP/Co-Op for the next TES title instead. This is just 100 mil - or whatever it is - down the drain.

I'd like to address a few of the items Cutter has brought up...

Bugs:
There are/were a lot of quest stopping bugs. In my testing they all seemed to be related to the spawning of quest items or NPC's in conjunction with a lot of players being in the area. I found I could complete these quests if I came back at an off hour. ZeniMax claims in some patch notes from last week they found and fixed three issues that caused these problems. It certainly bugs me that it took them a week or two before launch to fix them when I know for a fact I and others first reported them in a stress test last November. Reports they were fixed during last weeks mini Overflow test doesn't reassure me much as they didn't publicize the test and probably didn't get really stressed.

In the last beta there is/was a UI bug where you'd have to hit . (period) sometimes to get the interface back to battle mode. Also, a couple of times I got stuck in walls or under the earth.

Classes:
I would have preferred it if you could have picked up the various class lines from the Mages and Fighters guilds but the starting class isn't really that big of a deal as each has three skill trees but your character will have another dozen or more skill trees (not including crafting) to play with. Besides picking a class doesn't limit you to any of the classic roles. Want to be Sorcerer Sword and Board tank? No problem. Templar Archer? You can do that too. And be effective.

UI:
Actually the inventory UI is not from Skyrim itself, but the SkyUI mod. Personally I'd prefer the traditional slots and bags method so I can organize my stuff the way I like it. ZeniMax is promising a further breakout of crafting materials but I don't know if it will be in launch.

As for a screenfull of hotbars, I'm actually liking the deck building aspects of what abilities to put into the five regular and one ultimate hotkey slots. (You get an additional five and one hotkeys when you get weapon swap at level 15).

I'm also very much looking forward to seeing the world on my screen instead of playing a mess of UI elements including addons.

Crafting:
I didn't really feel crafting was all that grindy. Sure you couldn't have the mats to make 100 iron daggers, click once and go make a sandwich. But you couldn't do that in Skyrim either. I like the various aspects like deconstruction and research can be enhanced via skill lines. The ability to upgrade the quality (green to blue, blue to purple, etc) of any weapon or piece of gear is cool. As are styles (wicked looking Redguard daggers) and research-able traits.

Questing and the Chosen One
We all have quest styles we like and dislike. A majority of the quests certainly use the familiar tropes. I did particularly enjoy one that had me running a timed obstacle course. There are others with pretty good stories behind them and/or interesting things to do.

I 'could go on and on' about other issues with the game too. But one in particular is the mind-boggling tools they've provided for the player to player economy. I'd like to be smoking whatever they were when they came up with them. Long story short, they are dead set against a global or alliance wide Auction House. The guild-store scheme they envision will be a dead fish and I foresee that trade will wind up being much like the old Everquest tunnel in East Commonlands. Basically a /zone chat filled with WTS, WTB spam in the starting cities of each Alliance.

But...despite all those flaws, I had a lot of fun exploring and pvping during beta. I'll be there at 4AM Pacific Sunday morning.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
9. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 21, 2014, 22:16 Rossini

I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin. Any sign of QTE's and I'll wait a lot longer.  

News Comments > EverQuest Turns 15
16. Re: EverQuest Turns 15 Mar 17, 2014, 18:20 Rossini

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 16:22:
TRAIN!!! TRAIN TO ZONE!!!1!1!!
I remember someone yelling that a necro was training the zone. I wondered what a zone was and what they were teaching it to do.

Getting that first green!

Being scared to death in Blackburrow when my light source went out.

Watching in awe as a bard soloed one of those Giants in the plains near Qeynos.

Resetting a kitchen timer every 23 or 27 minutes while camping the Froglok that dropped the FBSS.

Spending hours dragging corpses after failed raids in the tunnels underneath Lady Vox.

EQ would never work today but what did we know way back then?

41. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2014, 18:27 Rossini

In a world where trailer narrators are the most interesting thing about the movies, one mans voice stood above the rest.

R.I.P. Hal Douglas

News Comments > More Elder Scroll Online Invites
16. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 12, 2014, 02:36 Rossini

I wonder if I've been playing the same game as some of those who've commented above? Because, I've been having a lot of fun in the game.

I've done four betas since November. In the first two, I blindly followed the marker arrows from quest hub to quest hub like I've been 'trained' to do in other MMO's. I had fun, much like I did in the first 15 or 20 levels of SWTOR, but I also was feeling a bit of "been there done that".

In the two most recent betas, I decided to wander around more like Oblivion and Skyrim. It was a much different experience. I found new quests, public dungeons, dark anchors, proving grounds, chests, fishing holes, sky shards, and on and on. I've not found any yet but there are supposedly Mundus Stones (like Skyrims The Thief, Warrior, Lady Stones, etc.) that give your character a buff and crafting stations that allow you to make specific armor 'sets' that provide extra bonuses.

Crafting is pretty easy but becomes complex if you want to create more powerful gear. For instance I've read it will take 63 days to research all the traits of just one type of weapon or type of armor. Also, if you learn to craft Redguard style, you can make curved swords. Curved! Swords!

The skill system is very deep. Plus you only have a very small number of hotkey slots. This makes an interesting game of 'deck-building' deciding what to put in those slots. Also, you can pick-up whole new skill trees if you talk to or get bitten by the right NPCs.

The enemy NPCs also seem to be getting harder and 'smarter' as I gain levels (my Sorc is 17). The mobs in the first three instanced dungeons are even more difficult and the mini-boss's do some fun things that will make your group have to think.

You can level your mounts up for any combination of speed, carrying capacity or sprint duration.

On the downside...
I did feel like the Ebonhart Pact and Daggerfall Covenant starter areas were a little slow compared to the Aldmeri Dominion. But you'll now be able to bypass those areas in this upcoming beta.

'Phasing' causes a lot of confusion.

The tools for player to player in-game economy are simply atrocious. No AH, not even a /trade chat channel. The guild stores including the PvP Keep ones are not well thought out.

TL;DR Try to give this weekends beta one last shot but play it more like Skyrim. If it's not for you, at least it won't have cost you anything to play.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 09:50 Rossini

I like how it's EA "and independent videogame developer" Respawn Entertainment instead of just EA and Respawn Entertainment. Who's trying to distance themselves from who? Or maybe EA is trying distance themselves from their own development arm.  

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
19. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 4, 2014, 02:12 Rossini

I liked the game and finished it. But I can't figure out why I have absolutely no desire to purchase any of the DLC or a possible sequel.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
21. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 16:34 Rossini

I'm waiting for the stretch goal that allows me to play as a gun-toting bubblegum-chewing misogynist with a penchant for one-liners before I fork over my dough.  

28 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo