Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Clever Caviar

Real Name Clever Caviar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Clever Caviar
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 20, 2013, 19:53
Total Comments 68 (Suspect)
User ID 57883

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Z Remake Tomorrow [Updated]
17. Re: Z Remake Tomorrow Jul 3, 2014, 14:05 Clever Caviar

emgarf wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 10:21:
The Bitmap Brothers title that I'd really like to see reissued/updated is Gods.

...and Magic Pockets.

There's a Java recreation of Gods, and Magic Pockets

Runs really well, but I'd pay money for something similar that hasn't butchered the original colour-cycled art style yet still somehow runs in HD.

::
Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 27, 2014, 17:00 Clever Caviar

No Man's Sky:

Still no clear idea of the actual gameplay. I like what I've *seen* of this game thus far, however I'm far too long in the tooth to have not seen a few smoke and mirrors demos over the years.

Rockstar made $1 billion in 3 days with GTAV, yet they can't find the budget to port RDR to PC.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
10. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 14:04 Clever Caviar

TangledThorns wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:45:
I just played all the Crysis games this year and the first Crysis still looks amazing. Crytek can develop amazing graphics, they just need a awesome story to go with it.

I've been playing through the first this year also (never played it at the time) and hats off, even considering the age of it, it's an amazing looking game to behold. I don't like saying "best ever!!!" but those jungles are pretty astonishing. Yet to try the others, but am aware of the negativity surrounding them.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 19, 2014, 11:26 Clever Caviar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 11:03:
MGS looks pretty cool.
It is no longer platform exclusive is it?
Wish they'd have a PC version. I might actually end up getting a PS4 when that comes out.

The main man on it says he'd like a PC port. I've never really followed this series since about the first (which had a PC port I remember), but from what I've seen of this new one, I like the look of it. Kinda reminds me of a 3rd person Crysis (sans aliens.)

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall
12. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 10, 2014, 09:20 Clever Caviar

nin wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 08:54:

And you pc players will love it (especially the driving model, compared to 4)!

just replaying 4 now, with way more CPU and GPU power than when I bought the game many years ago. Give it enough PC grunt and the driving is a lot of fun, but it took a while to get to that stage. I hated it before, but I appreciate 4's driving model is... divisive, to put it mildly.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Super Toy Cars
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Super Toy Cars Jun 7, 2014, 16:36 Clever Caviar

I bought this, my kids love VW camper vans and at the early access price it didn't seem too bad a gamble. I don't think it's the most cutting edge game ever, nor ground breaking, but racing around with your chums is fun.

However, they've been an example of how this early access thing should work: they're on the Steam forums all the time, speaking to the users, making changes based on it, plus they made it to v1 and a Mac port. If we were to take this as an example of a possible future of game development, it might not be such a bad thing.

But it's one example amongst many, and even though my personal experience was OK to good, I'm not sure it's warmed me to the whole early access model just yet.

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
7. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 15:14 Clever Caviar

I can understand his reasons for wanting to work on this, he's clearly deeply passionate about it, but it baffles me that supposedly smart people are happy taking a paycheck from such a scummy company.  

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2014, 16:31 Clever Caviar

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 16:28:
I hope they're following up on Sleepy Dogs. I want more of it!

there's something called "Triad Wars" in the pipe, although you now know approx. as much as the rest of the internet on that.

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2014, 16:24 Clever Caviar

Fantaz wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 15:32:
i just want to comment on your signature... Rockstar doesn't give a shit about PC. it's evident that they don't care such as the lack of proper optimization for the GTA4 PC port, and that they haven't even announced a GTA5 PC port yet. they don't remember that GTA was originally a PC franchise? talk about pissing off their roots... i don't care about RDR but for gods sake release GTA5 soon on PC before i stop caring about the franchise. at least Eidos guys were smart and released a Thief game for PC.

I'm no fan of R* and their efforts at community relations, but a fair few of their games I've really quite liked. Not enough to plaster over the shocking coding (console and PC), but I'd be fibbing if I said I disliked the stories and characters they've put out over the years.

That all being said, after years of their antics, I'm now at the point where if I had to choose between two on release day, based on what I know, I'd probably go with Watch_Dogs over GTA5 (assuming they both released the same time). For the simple reason I'm wary of how they shovel stuff at the PC and say nothing. Certainly I'm not busting a gut to pay premium day one rates based on their track record.

As for the quote itself, it was a response to the ungodly amounts of cash they made on GTA5 in such a short time, versus the seeming unending non-answers from them on the matter of PC RDR. I found it a bit pathetic they couldn't just say "staff were burnt out, sorry, it sucks", or "odd license clause with Capcom, sorry", or "we thought *we* wrote bad code, but no, R* San Diego took it to a whole new, lower level. No-one fancied unpicking all that inline ASM", or whatever. Just the lack of transparency irked me, from a clearly resource flush game company.

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
8. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 15:26 Clever Caviar

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:03:
Mantle: AMD's answer to 3dfx GLide.

but... it isn't. Like, it's not even remotely akin to what GLide was... in the slightest. Plus, also, hasn't AMD said there's nothing stopping Nvidia shipping Mantle enable devices/drivers?

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2014, 15:20 Clever Caviar

ItBurn wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:54:
nin wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:25:
Sleeping Dogs for $5 is a hell of a deal. Sadly, none of the DLC is on sale, but it's in no way required to enjoy the game.

Great game. I would say: Don't get the DLC! It totally unbalances the game and breaks the progression. Well you can get the story one, but I didn't care much for it.

the addon packs... there's a few that are "cheat" packs. The rest are costumes and other vanity stuff. PCGamingWiki has tips on what to rename, should you buy by accident, as I did.

the others are the new areas, or alt.universe stuff, which probably shouldn't be missed if you can get a decent price.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2014, 15:17 Clever Caviar

El Pit wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 14:36:
Clever Caviar wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:34:
it's a very good game, and with good PC support.

Yes, like remapping movement to the arrow keys. Who would want this anyway?

I hear this often, and while games like Sleeping Dogs (3rd person-a-thons) I don't play on keys, is the issue with arrows keys a southpaw thing?

Last time I used arrow keys on PC game was Quake, cos I think that's what it bound them to. Essentially, pre me discovering WASD. But I'm right-handed.

Either way, while it's a shame it's not "perfect", it's fair to say the devs put a chunk of effort in in other, PC-centric places.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2014, 12:34 Clever Caviar

nin wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:25:
Sleeping Dogs for $5 is a hell of a deal. Sadly, none of the DLC is on sale, but it's in no way required to enjoy the game.

it's a very good game, and with good PC support. The mind boggles what Eidos would have if they'd released modding tools and workshop support also.

News Comments > Watch Dogs in Q2
14. Re: Watch Dogs in Q2 Feb 10, 2014, 19:02 Clever Caviar

If both GTA5 and Watch Dogs came out the same day (PC natch), which would you buy (if only one etc)?

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 2, 2014, 15:00 Clever Caviar

nin wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:41:
HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:37:
Yay, MK8! Probably one of the last (and my 5th) games I'm getting for the wiiU. Not gonna defend it, it's on a downward spiral. But I'll still have Mario Kart in HD.

Altho one could successfully argue that the recent Sonic racing game already IS MKHD. It's surprisingly great. Played it during a free weekend/$5 steam sale, picked it up after a couple hours of it. Aside from weirdly not seeing my gamepad until I've pressed Enter (reverse porting issue!), it runs flawlessly, no crashing or noticeable bugs.

Still, MK8 will be free, in my case. Hard to argue there.

MK does look awesome, and it's one of the few reasons I'll eventually grab a wiiu (several price drops and years from now).

But I'd still prefer a new F-Zero...

LEGO City and possibly that new Super Mario Cat Plumbers would tempt me to buy the machine, but the price would have to tumble pretty low for me to want to shell out for hardware and so few games.

As for Sonic Racing Harlem All-Stars Transformed on Ice, same here: tried the free weekend then bought it, quite a fun game but I'm not expert on racers. One thing that annoyed the cack out of me with MK on the Wii was that you were seemingly powerless to stop attacks from behind (ooh-err missus etc), and I lost quite a few races because of it. This is now where someone says I was playing it wrong and if only I'd used such and such powerup.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Liberation HD
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Liberation HD Jan 15, 2014, 17:04 Clever Caviar

Despite the advice of approx. 1 internet saying "don't bother", I bought AC3 anyway, and kinda enjoyed it 'till at some point it really rankled me. I can't pinpoint when it began to grate, but splitting up an argument on the homestead sticks in the mind as a nadir. After that, the whole thing became a drag, to the point that I'm put off any more AC. Even against the advice of whole wide internet saying AC4 is the proverbial "return to form", "pup's nuts" and "as good as AC2", I'm loathe to get burnt by AC till I can try it out or it's so cheap it doesn't matter - such was the effect of AC3 had/has on me.

As this game is from the same release era as AC3, I'm doubly wary of having a punt, but will be following the opinions/reviews here and elsewhere.

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
42. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 16:16 Clever Caviar

Creston wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 14:13:
"Sales are non-existant anymore, so we can now scrap the DRM."

Too little too late, EA. Shove it.

It's their lack of contrition that sticks in my craw: no mea culpa that maybe it was a bad idea to force it on people. Refusing to acknowledge your errors shows a lack of class, IMO.

News Comments > Midwinter Remake Plans
8. Re: Midwinter Remake Plans Jan 11, 2014, 17:57 Clever Caviar

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2014, 17:33:
So these guys have only made an iOS game before? Not holding my breath in that case.

I'm also not holding my breath 'cos games from this era have been ported badly thus far. Bitmap Bros. games aren't stellar, Flashback got middling reviews. Can't speak on Another World, I thought it was poo on the iPad, but that could have been the general turd-i-ness of touch controls.

edit: ben/been

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2014, 18:04.

News Comments > Midwinter Remake Plans
6. Re: Midwinter Remake Plans Jan 11, 2014, 15:06 Clever Caviar

next up, Hunter remake.

hmm, just noticed it's an old Activision. So, no chance then...

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2014, 17:23.

News Comments > Valve Talks About Lack of Communication
3. Re: Valve Talks About Lack of Communication Jan 10, 2014, 18:21 Clever Caviar

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 17:41:
If I was them I would say the same thing.

As a customer I would rather have a day to day update...from any developer...but I don't complain about the lack of them because I know I wouldn't do it if I was in their shoes. I just appreciate it that much more when regular status updates are provided.

I get why they do it, but there's no real cleverness at play: Valve don't talk until they're confident of the outcome one way or the other.

68 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo