Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ken C.

Real Name Ken C.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname hex863
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 12, 2013, 19:41
Total Comments 6 (Suspect)
User ID 57717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 13:24 hex863

It goes without saying that we were quite baffled and worried when seeing those results and itís where we learned the first hard truth about the industry - nobody really cared about another small indie game.

It irks me when people see broad conclusions in individual results. It only goes without saying that they learned a first hard truth about their own project - nobody really cared about their project via the marketing they used this time around. To conclude whether "the industry" cares about "another small indie game" requires looking at the stats on a host of equivalent games over time.

It seems to me the conclusion to be drawn here is one way not to market development of an indie game. I wouldn't look into it much more deeply than that.

(This is also, as far as I understand, not in any sense a "disaster". A disappointment, sure - a disaster, no. Doing anything worthwhile is hard; they need to learn from this and keep going if this is something they really care about.)

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2013, 13:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda on Franchises: Dishonored Yes; RAGE TBD
23. Re: Bethesda on Franchises: Dishonored Yes; RAGE TBD Jul 5, 2013, 23:55 hex863

If RAGE had been the first release of a new studio, I think it would have been received more as a good game with some serious flaws...and there'd be a real audience for a sequel, an audience that assumed with the second chance they could iron out those obvious problems.

The real issue, in my mind, is it wasn't an inexperienced studio: id should have known better in the first place, so there's more of a general assumption that rather than inexperience (oh, they'll get it right next time!) it was just laziness - which a sequel wouldn't fix.

News Comments > LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen
11. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 12:39 hex863

I agree with |oR|jonvall: leaving an unintended bag seems way more of the problem than blaming the developer for the contents that bag or for being at the bar where potential networking (i.e. the non-TCP/IP kind) is happening. Is it really that shocking that if you're a indie developer at E3 to (a) travel with multiple devices to a technical event, (b) have source code on the laptop that you're potentially demo'ing with? Honestly, I don't find the scenario much different than someone leaving a unattended purse by the hotel pool bar and finding it gone.

And along the lines of what Armengar said: encrypted hard drives likely should be the standard on mobile devices (and not just ones you take to E3). It seems like it should be something you need to go out of your way to disable on any kind of mobile storage device.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews May 6, 2013, 23:46 hex863

"No game designer ever went wrong by overestimating the narcissism of their players," Wright said, alluding to H.L. Mencken's famous quote, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." By that, Wright meant that it's important to give players a chance to share (or show off) their progress and achievements in a game.

I wonder if the article's author's interpretation of the quote was correct. Narcissism (can but) doesn't necessarily mean you need to flaunt or publish your accomplishments; but it does, at least I think, imply you need that sense of wanting to be "great" while playing the game (even just by playing the role of a hero or a god). From that point of view, Wright's statement is a lot more palatable to me. Of course, out of context, I certainly don't know what Wright "really" meant...

News Comments > Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"
38. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 16, 2013, 12:58 hex863

If that was the vision, then a major error was made in calling the product "SimCity". Quite seriously, calling it "SimCity Online" from the start would have set expectations much better -- it would have avoided much of the disappointment.

It sounds as if they were trying to cash in on the brand name loyalty but then were producing something that didn't fit with that basis of that loyalty.

(And no, I don't think this is some DRM conspiracy theory or pure spin -- I can believe it really was a poor series of decisions over time where a potentially cool vision just wasn't being realized -- and they released anyway without adapting to that reality.)

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 12, 2013, 15:48 hex863

Completely agree. The blog posts make TESO sound very much like another variation on the generic MMO model -- not a unique game. The mere mention of "tanks" and "healers" in the blog post makes me look forward to this game less than I was before.  

6 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo