Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for =JpS=SgtRock

Real Name =JpS=SgtRock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2013, 00:10
Total Comments 3 (Suspect)
User ID 57683

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Free
46. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Free Dec 26, 2013, 11:32 =JpS=SgtRock

I'm not a network administrator, but I would have to think that given that this happens EVERY time, regardless of organization (Valve, GOG, Blizzard, Obamacare, etc.), temporarily increasing capacity may not be as easy/economical as we are inclined to assume. When the servers are down on sale day, they are losing sales, big time, so it would behoove them to increase capacity, UNLESS it would cost more to increase capacity than they would make in the sales that they lose. Anyone here work in server operations/network administration? How easy/hard and cheap/expensive is it to increase capacity for peak usage periods?

It depends on a lot of factors. Nowadays buying additional capacity for temporary peak loads from outfits like Amazon is pretty easy. Properly estimating ahead of time just how much you'll need so your cloud vendor is prepared for you is still tough, though.

Another big issue is that very few workloads are completely scalable. There's almost almost always some place where you have at least one single point of computation. Database engines for handling transactions, for example.

Then there's the fact that planning to scale your app out to a cloud vendor as necessary takes advanced planning, design, and coding. Since Steam predates the availability of cloud vendors by several years, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that they simply can't leverage those services. Yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Counterstrike: GO Operation Payback Pays Map Authors
5. Re: Counterstrike: GO Operation Payback Pays Map Authors Apr 26, 2013, 16:55 =JpS=SgtRock

As the guy in charge of setting up a CS:GO server for LAN play every few months, my biggest complaint about the Workshop is how difficult it seems to be to get maps set up properly. Whatever happened to a nice, simple zipfile that got extracted in the right place?  

News Comments > Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released
15. Re: Half-Life OS X and Linux Betas Released Jan 28, 2013, 19:13 =JpS=SgtRock

Panickd wrote on Jan 28, 2013, 09:50:
While I applaud this I am not sure it was necessary. On the other hand even my Atom based Linux box with the shitty Intel graphics should be able to run a game that old and I do already own it so...

Even better, Valve is very actively working on it. I just had an update delivered today!

BTW, there's also a Counter-Strike beta out, too.

3 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo