Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Redmask

Real Name Redmask   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Redmask
Email redmaskk@outlook.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2013, 03:13
Total Comments 2632 (Senior)
User ID 57682

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mad Max in September
5. Re: Mad Max in September Mar 3, 2015, 20:21 Redmask

I love Avalanche Studios but they really need to show me what the hell they want me to buy here.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Link Announced
5. Re: Steam Link Announced Mar 3, 2015, 20:20 Redmask

Sounds awesome and that Source 2 leak awhile ago seemed to indicate HL3 and L4D3 were already in dev.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook
8. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 5 Will Add Party Storage; Mouselook Mar 3, 2015, 00:21 Redmask

It's not really open, it's just a bunch of zones. The enemies all have level and difficulty markers on them so make sure you read those before engaging. Each zone has an intended level range so there will be areas that are easy and others that are difficult.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2015, 23:44 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 21:37:
I know you're being fatuous but I didn't know that so I won't be using it. Mmmkay?

It's standalone software, who cares, stop being weird and just download it. Awesome and easy to use.

News Comments > Op Ed
123. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2015, 23:36 Redmask

You had your say and then some, how about letting everyone else actually discuss something without a ridiculous wall of text every time someone posts?  

News Comments > Op Ed
121. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2015, 18:21 Redmask

InBlack wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 02:54:
Remember when they took out pentagrams out of Diablo, and turned it into a kiddie game? Please tell me how a culture that promotes political correctness leads to a richer and better medium in gaming?

It doesn't and you can see examples of that across other forms of media where some aspects are censored as well, television is a big one. When met with increased censorship and too much control from 'PC' related rules people have instead sought out more exaggerated and fantastical pickings from content producers. That includes women who have some extremely inaccurate and often negative gender views on men. But that's ok because there are differences between the genders and how they are perceived, something that people who get too dug into positions here don't seem to realize. It's entertainment and I don't think that really has any real negative impact on society as a whole which is one of the accusations here without any foundation.

The idea that you're so somehow against women if you don't agree with their view point to me is disturbing and shows a very real disconnect in both rational and critical thinking. Anyone can selectively pick out perceived gender issues from media and do so without going into depth and examining it from both genders. I could sit here all day dissecting both male and female oriented television for example but that is proof of nothing at all. People are fond of saying 'shes just showing problems' but a trope isn't necessarily a problem and that's the big point that just seems fly overhead unnoticed. There is no reason that video games can't have tropes and still have more equal representation of genders, in fact that process is well under way which she would know if she did more gaming and bothered to research something that didn't agree with her world view. That's why people are so fed up with her and with this topic in general, she used up her credit.

News Comments > Op Ed
107. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 17:15 Redmask

Julio wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 04:44:
You can buy her the "Social Justice Warrior" game that just got greenlit on Steam. It sounds like the kind of game you're looking for.

I'm curious how well it will do, maybe it will spawn a genre of SJW games so they stay out of thought policing everyone else's gaming choices.

That's optimistic. Actually just making the games they want to play is way too easy for everyone involved. Not much money or fame in that. I doubt they would ever be happy unless people adopt their narrow view of gender representation in games. Always something to complain about with the professional victims and their little wagon of supporters. They just want endless 'debate', a one sided debate that consists of 'do what we say'. I'm still laughing about the people who kept repeating 'anita doesnt want to change your games' for so long until that turned out to be false, now theres a new narrative about 'improvement'. That's why debate with those people is pointless, they just keep moving the goalposts.

I'm really happy to see so many people finally waking up to it and pushing back. Last few topics have been really encouraging, a lot of reasonable people here chiming in and calling out the bullshit.

News Comments > Op Ed
104. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 09:26 Redmask

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 23:48:
C'mon RM, you're smarter than that. It's not Video game character hip sway, it's sexism, just like racism. I'm sure you're not denying sexism is still an issue in our society, and the portrayal of women in media perpetuates it.

Sexism in society and sexism in video games are two different subjects and I don't believe the latter is a serious problem. My comment was mocking the clown who was comparing this to real social and political issues of history.

News Comments > Op Ed
85. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 15:19 Redmask

Slavery

Racism

Oppression

Nuclear weapons

Government Surveillance

Video game character hip sway

Truly she has tapped into an important social issue here my friends, one day we will all remark on this moment from the

TIDES OF HISTORY

Hahahah

News Comments > Op Ed
83. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 13:42 Redmask

Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:52:
You know, it's pretty simple. Sarkeesian is directing her argument to the wrong entity. She's attacking video game producers when her real complaint is with nature and reality.

See, Sarkessian is on record as saying that all differences between men and women are the product of societal conditioning. Not "some." Not "most." All. This is the kind of delusion that engenders the vociferous and angry invective that she and her supporters are known for. It's why you have bogus terms like "the patriarchy" and "misogynists" as a staple of her argument. Because, in the end, she's fighting reality... and it angers her.

Let me be perfectly clear in what I mean. Men and women are not the same. There are over 528 biological differences between them, differences that evolved over millennia, to better suit men and women for the primitive roles they played before civilization. Go back 5000 years and look at gender roles. You will find that they weren't "invented" to keep women down; they were based on the very real living conditions of the time. With a life-expectancy of 30 years and a 50% child-mortality rate, human life was tough. There were no social safety nets for the elderly, meaning that those people lucky enough to make it to old age would be dependent on their children for their support. That means most women would have had to stay pregnant constantly, simply to produce enough children that the half that survived could support them. Men evolved better spacial awareness and more muscular frames to assist in their roles as hunters. These are all well established biological facts.

Now, as societies have become more productive, as standards of living have risen, men and women no longer need to obey their biological roles in order to survive. This is a good thing. In fact, our societies in the West have advanced technologically to the point where we can easily say that men and women should have the same societal responsibilities and privileges (voting, legal standing, pay, etc.). But evolution does not work as fast as society changes. And men and women still carry the biological differences of their primitive ancestors.

These have real world consequences. Look at Sarkeesian's complaint about the animation for walking. Women's hips are constructed differently than men's (on average). Were you to motion capture an average woman walking and a man walking, you would instantly be able to spot the stick-figure that was female, just from her gait. So complaining about this in a video game (even when exaggerated) is ridiculous, especially when what qualifies as "exaggerated" is not an objective standard in the first place.

Likewise, when it comes to representations of female as, say, warriors, once again reality intervenes. Even modern militaries (whose inclusiveness has more to do with politics than capabilities) have a difficult time with female front-line troops (the ones that do use them tend to be the small nations facing existential threats, like Israel, or the nations that don't fight anyone, anyway... see Scandinavian militaries). The US Army has had to develop a training course to prepare women for the Ranger training, because they are so desperate to get a female through the course. Think about that! They have to train the women extensively just so they can have a chance to not wash out on the first day (which none have managed to avoid so far). This is totally a product of the biological differences between a peak-performing male and a peak-performing female. It's why we have an NBA and a WNBA.

Such biological differences aren't all in the males' favor, though. Most courts still give women preference in child custody cases, for real biological reasons. But to deny that women's bodies and minds are built differently (talk to any college or professional-level trainer about men's and women's knees, for example) is a direct contradiction of reality.

So what Sarkeesian wants is an unrealistic portrayal of men and women, based on her own personal biases. And she wants this enforced across video games, so that she doesn't have to see the reality of biology thrown in her face over and over again. That's why so many people have a visceral reaction against her. It'd be like having a person tell you that you had to agree the sky was green, or you'd lose your job (just as people have lost their jobs for "offending" the sensibilities of the SJWs). That's the level of stupid this woman represents.

Quoting this for reinforcement to the SJWs.

News Comments > DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Trailer
4. Re: DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin Trailer Feb 28, 2015, 11:14 Redmask

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:49:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 20:00:
Other than the six or more months of beta testing and the first six months of WoW just after release... no other game has given me so many hours of enjoyment. Between the PS3 and the PC version I must have between five and six hundred hours of play. And I almost hate myself for it but I'm even thinking about buying the PS4 version just because I love the game so much.

I just hope that Bloodbourne is as good as the previous three Souls games. If so I am thinking about reducing my purchases for the remainder of this year. I've bought so many games on Steam which mostly go unplayed after I sample them and quickly get bored with them. After you've played a game with this type of atmosphere and tension it is hard to find other games that can compete with it.

I'm just waiting to hear something concrete about the PS4 and PC releases. I would hope they would offer a cheap PS4 upgrade if you insert your PS3 disc and a free upgrade if you already own it and the DLC on the PC. So far I'm not hearing what I want to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cg3vnui8OyQ

To rip-off another internet poster, I will say that I bounced off the first Dark Souls so hard it left a me shaped hole in the wall behind my computer chair. I've tried to play it half a dozen times and found myself flinging the controller aside in a rage. The controls just feel broken to me.

I really want to like these games, because I LIKE bashing my head against difficulty and atmosphere is my serious jam. Is Dark Souls II any less... broken feeling or am I going to hate it as much as the first one?

The games just click with you one day, I had the same experience. I could not get into Dark Souls at all, hated it. Then one day I gave it another chance, I was in some area fighting a monster, I got invaded by some other guy and I managed to kill them both. At the end I was totally pumped up and took on the boss shortly afterward. It's a game of peaks and valleys. Much like a spirited relationship its equal parts love and hate

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
15. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 27, 2015, 22:58 Redmask

Jerykk wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 22:51:
While this is cool, they really should have addressed some of the balancing issues by now. Assault Rifles are blatantly OP compared to all the other weapons and if you build a party where everyone is skilled with assault rifles, the game is cakewalk. Conversely, if your team consists of pistol, SMG or heavy weapon experts, you're basically screwed.

ARs make the game easy no question but you can still have a varied party and make it through the game on various difficulties and have fun. I know because I did with only one AR user. They just needed more penalties to using ARs at short distances or to remove burst fire and it would've been fine.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 22:49 Redmask

So the constant refrain from her defenders here about 'not wanting to change games' was complete bullshit and suddenly none are to be found? I am shocked, shocked I tell you. It's almost like most of us correctly pegged this lying, money hungry fame seeker from the beginning.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 18:43 Redmask

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:02:
Redmask wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 18:01:
'rahrahrah the government cant do shit, it ruins everything!'

I guess they forgot the government made the fucking internet in the first place, I think they can regulate it.

Specifically Al Gore. Don't you remember? OUR LORD AND SAVIOR!

No, specifically the US government. The one that supposedly can't regulate it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

43. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2015, 18:01 Redmask

'rahrahrah the government cant do shit, it ruins everything!'

I guess they forgot the government made the fucking internet in the first place, I think they can regulate it.

News Comments > etc.
52. Re: etc. Feb 26, 2015, 07:17 Redmask

A defense for everything and for everything a defense, I shouldn't be surprised.  

News Comments > etc.
48. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 20:09 Redmask

NKD wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 17:21:
All you need to know about Sarkeesian is this picture.

She's nothing but a mouthpiece for her "producer" Jonathan McIntosh. It even looks like he does all her Tweeting for her as well.

There aren't even words. This is the bullshit artist people have been defending here for months? At least now I can stop wasting time on this shit, 100% discredited.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection
24. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection Feb 25, 2015, 19:13 Redmask

I haven't played the originals in forever but I'm definitely going to grab this when I get out of the office.

Very fond memories of taking 5 to 1 odds and coming out on top, some of the missions were great. I'm really sad that it doesn't include Cataclysm.

News Comments > etc.
42. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 07:30 Redmask

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 02:00:
I think what people really mean when they accuse her of being a non-gamer is that she's just using the fact that video games are the current moral panic du-jour as a vehicle for fame and career advancement. And yes she does cherry pick, she puts together a violence against women supercut knowing it will hit all the right emotional buttons in some people. She takes instances of bad things happening to women and removes them from any surrounding context to make it appear as though it's a representation of that game as a whole. She even goes so far as to claim that the mutilated corpses in Bioshock 2 were purposely arranged in an erotic fashion, because corpses are just so hot you know.

Apparently its ok to be dishonest as long as you tag it with tropes somewhere and say thats all you're doing. When all else fails I'm sure I will hear 'at least shes got the conversation going'.

Agahdsghi I am getting angry at this and that is a clear time to stop. I totally get why people are so frustrated about this kind of discussion now.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 07:40.

News Comments > etc.
41. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 07:01 Redmask

Can we atop with the non-gamer nonsense? She isn't an outsider invading your turf. You're taking an out of context quote from a video you didn't watch or read a transcript of.

That's fuckin rich, sorry I forgot Anita is the only one allowed to take things out of context lol. No one is going to stop with that because the shoe fucking fits. It has nothing to do with 'invading' and everything to do with credibility. I don't care if shes a 'gamer', I care if she knows what the fuck shes talking about and she doesn't.

You're also quite belligerent. Honestly, I am with Julio but on this topic never have been with you. This is the only thing I think you are too quick to judge on. Again, these criticisms are common in all other media. We should be happy games are maturing and becoming better.

I'm belligerent because I'm sick of people like you who pretend she hasn't done anything wrong or made any mistakes and try to make up excuses even when its clear as day. If you want people to meet you somewhere in the middle then you need to do the same, especially when shes full of shit. Stop getting so invested in her fucking agenda that you will sit here arguing rather than just admit what is obvious to everyone else. She was wrong and you are wrong for defending it here, simple as that.

You seem to acknowledge that these tropes do exist so she has a point, no?

No, she doesn't have a point here, that IS the point. 'this is a trope' is meaningless shit without examining the context of whatever it is you're criticizing. You people just go in circles, its like pounding my head against a wall. 'ok well she was wrong but its ok because...', no its not ok, she was just plain wrong no if ands or buts. You want people to consider the times where shes right well you have to consider the times where shes wrong and stop trying to save face on her behalf or whatever weird shit is going on here.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 07:29.

2632 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo