Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Redmask

Real Name Redmask   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Redmask
Email redmaskk@outlook.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2013, 03:13
Total Comments 2225 (Senior)
User ID 57682

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 20, 2014, 22:14 Redmask

Baristan wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 17:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 13:05:
Some legit filehosters also have tiny checkboxes pre-checked that if you don't uncheck them link you to download "helpers" (all scams, of course)

Even Adobe Flash and Oracle Java have been bundled with malware. Can't trust sourceforge or CNET's downloads.com anymore either. Sad world we live in.

Does anyone know of a good sandboxing app?

The standard for Win32 stuff if you don't want to use VMWare or HyperV is Sandboxie.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
59. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 22:04 Redmask

Just because a few of you think its ok to sit around and act like the biggest cliche imaginable doesn't mean that the rest of us do. You can acknowledge that shit in your head without giving voice to some idiocy that just makes it sound like you've never been laid.

It says nothing about her beyond that unless you're adding meaning to it with your own assumptions.

Sorry there is no way I'm not judging someone who only posts 'SO HOT DROOOL' on a videogame forum, that shit invites mockery especially in the recent overall context.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
52. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 20:31 Redmask

Julio wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:45:
Aren't there hundreds of people switching jobs all the time? Why is she special?

She ran the studio, we've seen many news of developers coming and going over the years. It's news, no one said she was special.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
31. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 18:28 Redmask

Amusing ego, last time I checked she wasn't a game maker and isn't in a position to really do anything meaningful other than inflame a situation that would have died out already after Quinn stopped trending.  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 12:03 Redmask

I feel like that's a bit of a false analogy though. Unlike Internet news, games have gatekeepers like publishers that they need to get through

No they don't. Anyone can make a game and put it on a digital service these days. I think the logic works fine, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't really have a problem with the representation of women in video games either, its been changing for the better for quite some time already. Let's not forget men are often portrayed as sub-human monsters in video games but that doesn't mean its always the case just like not every video game treats women like sexual objects.

Off to the gym then gone for the rest of the weekend but don't objectify any women while I'm gone you naughty gamers!

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 11:40 Redmask

Numinar wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 11:22:
Do you feel guilty? I don't. I can identify as a gamer and know those articles were not talking about me.

I can identify as a gamer, know they're not talking about me and still be annoyed at the constant sermons and biased editorials.

So yeah, complain that they don't represent you. Subscribe to an outlet or start you own that does.

Sure and I suspect that will be the result of whats happened here. That logic works both ways too. 'if you want more games with women in them then go ahead and make them, no one is stopping you'.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 11:17 Redmask

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 11:12:
What do you think, though, is that a good thing or bad thing for the industry?

It would be a good thing, the media right now is not very open to discourse or other opinions. Gaming sites are already fractured by interest and sometimes platform anyway. I have yet to see a serious article examining whether there was a problem in the first place here, instead we got a bunch of editorials yelling at gamers. That's what allowed the Zoe Quinn situation to blow up like it did, months of lectures and accusations by several different sites without any real study or discourse.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 11:09 Redmask

As usual taking no responsibility for not providing even coverage or any examination of the supposed problems, just an assumption of guilt posed at an entire audience.

One thing from the editorial really stood out thought. It was the idea that gaming media is going to fracture (much as broadcast media did) into different channels for different people. So for example, people who want a conservative spin on their gaming news will go to one site and those who want a progressive spin will go to another.

Gaming media is already very liberal minded to say the least so if that did happen it would just be providing something to an under served audience.

News Comments > etc.
80. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 23:51 Redmask

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 23:16:
Sarkeesian, Wu, and others are not being threatened because they are famous and "attracted crazy people," as if this is some common thing that happens to anybody who is ever in the news. They are specifically being threatened because they have spoken out against misogyny in gaming. The threats have made it clear this is why they are being targeted.

Essentially, the threats are made to shut them up.

'Gamers' are a cross section of the general population and are just as likely to have a few nuts as anything else. I don't think there is some group of gamers who are mad about Hitman trying to 'shut her up'. I think she made a public figure of herself by speaking about gender issues and attracted the attention of some less than stable individual(s). I don't think it lends any validity to her statements nor does it make me less likely to criticize her when I think shes wrong. I don't think 'fuckin gamers!' when I hear about that, I think 'fucking crazy people'. I also don't think threats to her say anything about me or anyone else on this website either. Your rant on echo chambers and other stuff fell totally flat for me, I see plenty of the spectrum everywhere online and I don't think people enable that sort of behavior anymore on a widespread basis.

Yes I do think if someone has legitimate concerns about their safety that they should do what they think is necessary, up to and including removing themselves from the situation entirely if this is a repeated thing. I don't live in an idealistic bubble world where everyone on the internet is mentally stable and accountable for their actions. When you open yourself up on a subject that is in any way controversial you should be ready for the possibility that you will attract some nutcases.

News Comments > etc.
77. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 23:06 Redmask

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 22:54:
The only reason you post such bullshit is because you don't have the mental acuity or argumentative skills to actually try to rebut her argument. But you don't like her argument so you try to silence her message by attacking her personally instead.

Her arguments have been rebutted on here many times actually, people have taken them apart in detail and its been the focus of discussion in several threads. I think people have been more than fair in accommodating her points too. People seem generally agreed that some sexism exists in the industry but not about the severity and certainly not about her specific arguments linking it to various themes and elements in games. I don't really care how well trained she is, she approaches things from her own personal standpoint just like you or I do. There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion.

News Comments > etc.
75. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 22:46 Redmask

Ugh. Any chance for meaningful discussion is long gone. Any chance for anything Gamersgate related to result in something positive is long gone.

People don't need to wear a jersey stating allegiances or something. The whole concept of a hashtag movement is stupid, its a vague thing with no leader so it was never going to work. I think people making threats are sick but that doesn't mean I agree with the crap the industry and people like Anita have been spewing. Frankly I think it already accomplished what it needed to, we needed some push back on the automatic assumptions that were being made about people based on a small minority and the constant editorials from the industry about how bad everyone is.

This whole death threat fiasco IS our fault for not calling out the bullshit earlier.

No it isn't. I am not to blame because some crazy person online threatened someone else. If you want to try to play parent to the entire internet and take that responsibility then have fun but that's not my fault. That's a combination of other factors totally unrelated to me - relative anonymity, mental health, etc. People from Bluesnews were not threatening her, we were sitting here discussing the issues.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2014, 22:55.

News Comments > etc.
72. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 22:37 Redmask

Acleacius wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 22:29:
Only because you said it was so common, for people to deal with threats.

The way you frame your language is interesting. 'innocent girl', shes a woman, not a 4 year old girl. You are not her personal protector. It is very common for public figures to receive all sorts of crazy shit from the general public, this is a pretty commonly known axiom in the news, political and entertainment worlds. I don't really know how to make that plain or clearer, I've explicitly stated it several times. No one is saying 'its ok', its just a reality of dealing with the public. The more I read on this, the more it sounds like she caught the attention of a deluded individual and I don't think it has anything to do with her comments on gaming other than the exposure being a catalyst. That's just my opinion based on the article.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2014, 22:43.

News Comments > etc.
69. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 22:25 Redmask

Acleacius wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 22:16:
Fine, if what you say is true give me example of it happening. A 'relativity close' situation close to this scenario. Where someone wrote an article or made a Youtube accurately portraying exploitation of women in books or movies. Of course if your serious, you will be able to come of with an example of it happening to a male.

You're asking me to provide an example identical to this situation to reinforce your argument? Why would I ever do that? I didn't say every single youtube personality gets death threats (but for fun click on some youtube comments sometime, not many sane people) , I said public figures get the brunt of crazy peoples bullshit and I do not think its fair to claim it somehow reaffirms anything she has said about other topics. The implication that it somehow puts people who don't agree with her in a negative light is also troubling, the two have nothing to do with each other. The possibility of receiving such things goes up drastically when you are in the public eye, You are exposed to a much greater portion of the human populace than you would be otherwise. I don't see how this is difficult to understand.

It's almost as if your just minimizing rape and death threats, as self justification of exploitation.

Exploitation of who? What are you even talking about? If you want to believe its possible that we can create a world where public facing figures can not have crazy people on the internet say crazy shit to them then you're deluded. The relatively anonymous and open nature of the internet precludes that from happening.

News Comments > etc.
65. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 22:11 Redmask

You can read the determination about the speaking engagement here.

I don't know about leaving her home but she wanted extra security precautions, got them but still refused despite investigations determining there was no credible threat at USU. Someone (I'm assuming her) called the FBI who seem to think its very similar to previous threats which to me suggests an individual fixated on her rather than some organized group of misogynistic gamers.

It really sucks that being a public figure means you have to deal with that kind of shit but as most would tell you, it comes with the territory. That's why many people choose organizations to communicate.

News Comments > etc.
63. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 21:57 Redmask

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 21:38:
Wow, so your brother gets specific death threats for the venues he's lecturing in? I find that... difficult to believe to say the least.

Given your uppity, confrontational attitude I don't give a fuck what you believe and that's not what I said.

The only irresponsible people in this thread are people like you who seem to think that a specific death threat (listing the time and place the threat will be carried out and the manner in which it will be executed) is something that people should just ignore.

You are the irresponsible one, trying to put words into others mouths to suit your whiny agenda. I didn't say anything about ignoring it, by all means report it and let the authorities deal with it. I said that if you can't handle being in the public eye then you should consider not doing so which is just common sense. Being a public figure means attracting crazy people and no matter how much you would like it to be unique to this so that it somehow reaffirms her position on other issues, that's not the case.

your continued persecution of Anita

The drama practically drips here.

News Comments > etc.
59. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 21:13 Redmask

Acleacius wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 20:46:
Sarkeesian didn't do anything other than accurately list the history, of how mostly male dominated development studios, from at least the 1990s portray females in games. The problem seems to be with the males who live by ego, who can't handle the idea of women as equals in humanity. Now I'm not suggesting any of you guys are those type of guys, but sometimes we all forget what happens within a mob mentality.

What are you doing? No, just no. This is much more simple. Trying to somehow paint this as affirmation of her beliefs is not only wrong headed but irresponsible. If you want to be a public figure, you have to deal with crazy people. If she doesn't want to deal with it then she should back out of the public eye. You should read about some of the shit actors have been through and most of them are just playing characters in entertainment.

If you have issues every time some dingdong on the internet opens his mouth and you need to play 'i dont feel safe!' card then perhaps you aren't cut out for it. My brother lectures on boring ass psychology academia and he's had people send him weird shit.

News Comments > Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released
6. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 16, 2014, 20:40 Redmask

It did pretty well on the consoles.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II Oct 16, 2014, 20:38 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 21:53:
"you click a button to get a free pizza delivered to your house. "

And how exactly does that work?

How does clicking a button to get a free pizza work anyway, hmmm? I wonder. Perhaps this tale is not what it seems, let us study it further. Hmm. HMMMMM.

News Comments > etc.
56. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 20:35 Redmask

I'm calling bullshit, completely disingenuous for you 3 guys to say "you would give a talk/speech/discussion" with armed participants.

Some people have a spine and realize that most people are not going to shoot them over a disagreement.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 16, 2014, 20:27 Redmask

nin wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 19:31:
Curious about the CBS offering. I didn't see a ton of series I'd be interested in, but they do offer all the TV Trek series...

Yeah I'm worried all of the Star Trek stuff will disappear from Netflix

I'm not interested in any offering that has advertisements and CBS lists this one having as them. I would rather pay more for a streaming service without ads.

2225 Comments. 112 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo