Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Redmask

Real Name Redmask   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Redmask
Email redmaskk@outlook.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 23, 2013, 03:13
Total Comments 2019 (Senior)
User ID 57682

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
282. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2014, 07:27 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 05:02:
Yeah, well, it's developers like Rockstar that do "deserve" a militant-feminist beating. Their approach and/or view on women seems to be that of a 16 year-old, with a PS controller in his left hand and his penis in his right. In fact, it's the entire image of Rockstar for me. It's kind of a paradox that their games are so extremely solid nonetheless.

No they don't deserve anything. Just buy games from a developer who makes the kind of games you want. Rockstar doesn't need to change anything, they're making a lot of money doing what they do best and their social depictions are obviously intended to be ironic anyways. They rarely paint anyone in a good light, male or female. The attitude that everything needs to change to suit an agenda was debunked already several times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
9. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 1, 2014, 11:14 Redmask

InBlack wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 03:58:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 1, 2014, 01:58:
Kids always think they can't be tracked.

Until they end up in Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison.

Ever heard of tor project? Yeah, neither have these kids.

Many of them do use TOR but that doesn't mean that they can't be tracked through other means despite using a TOR tunnel.

News Comments > Activision Taking Take-Two?
25. Re: Activision Taking Take-Two? Sep 1, 2014, 10:21 Redmask

This seems about as likely as the GTA V PC being cancelled rumor, which is to say not likely at all.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 31, 2014, 15:37 Redmask

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 12:58:
Dumb rumor. Why would they skip 800 series? Won't happen. It's gonna be 20nm too, I don't care what your grandmother heard. >:O

Supposedly they want to just align the model numbers with the mobile variants (980M) to avoid marketplace confusion.

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
28. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 31, 2014, 08:46 Redmask

shihonage big rant

Nothing you're saying is incorrect. In fact I agree with almost everything said there, Diablo is very much a shallow experience. I was able to enjoy myself for awhile despite the game being very flawed at its core but I decided I had enough and moved onto other things.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2014, 00:13 Redmask

Anand is retiring  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2014, 09:45 Redmask

adfreetime.com for $1.99 a month does DNS redirection for all of those things including Netflix. I have no affiliation with the site, I just use it and think its a good deal, $24 a year to not worry about that nonsense. You just change the DNS in your router to their server and you're set. They're a Canadian company as well.

Region blocking is the lamest thing on the internet.

News Comments > Op Ed
178. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2014, 09:37 Redmask

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 06:34:
Hypocrisy doesn't ring a bell for you does it.

No it doesn't, I would bet serious money hes a failed lawyer or sales man.

News Comments > Op Ed
56. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:10 Redmask

Desalus wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:28:
Iím not sure why it really is so difficult to admit that the sexualized violence against women depicted in many 'mature' games really doesn't need to be included in the game at all. I don't play games to visit virtual brothels, sleep with virtual prostitutes, go to a virtual strip club, or rescue the 'damsel in distress'. If a game never contained these things I would never even care nor would I even notice. I've never thought to myself "I really wish this game had a brothel I could visit, or at least a prostitute. It would make this game so much more enjoyable."

There are plenty of games with violence committed against other men, in fact I daresay that's the majority. These are entertainment products and different people are entertained by different things. Some people appreciate graphic content that takes them out of their comfort zone and some do not. I want someone to make a compelling game and story for me, I don't want them worried about not making a part of it because it might offend someone. If sleeping with prostitutes in GTA offends you then don't buy it but don't try to change the product for everyone else. There are more than enough games around to accommodate everyone. Plenty of non-violent games on the market to play instead.

You and I are no one to judge what should and shouldn't be created, we can only vote with our wallets. This is a 'problem' that will solve itself when the market for these things arrives, assuming it ever does. The video I linked from a female indie dev lays it all out.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 13:46 Redmask

Prez wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:15:
This woman is obviously a mysogynist for disagreeing with (and even being angered by) Sarkeesian.

LOL. Its funny how the people pushing Sarkeesians garbage have no answer to this.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 11:46 Redmask

Someone posted this video in the other thread and it totally nails the 'issue', from a woman no less.  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 11:23 Redmask

UHD wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 11:01:
I'm not championing anything. I just stated I think she loves (at least before the death threats) the attention it gives her, and that she chooses video games not because she cares about them, but because they're an easy target.

She doesn't make a convincing case for sexism in the gaming industry regardless of how full of shit she is. Almost all of her examples are cherry picked, flawed or seemingly ignore context. She is trying to point to a problem with examples that do not apply so of course people are resistant to it. She presents no real solutions either, just blame. What's worse is that she accepts none, everything is always a mans fault.

Your argument about separating the message from the person delivering it is troublesome too. Of course people question something coming from a person with a poor history of these things. It shows a remarkable naivety to ignore background and motivations just to focus on a dubious message.

I don't grant that there is a widespread sexism problem in the gaming industry but if people like her are really convinced thats the case then what they need to do is change the business model and everything else follows suit. These fucking pointless editorials just piss everyone and inflame the situation. Stop yelling at me for enjoying GTA V, go out make the GTA competitor that is going to sell as many copies to women and the industry will have no choice. Women are changing mens sports as we speak, there is nothing stopping them from doing the same with video games.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2014, 22:54 Redmask

Every character was awful in GTA V and I can name almost all characters from it, male or female. It was a whole game based on people doing shitty things. What an ineffective argument. 10 years ago I would've understood the point, these days its just not true.  

News Comments > Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode
16. Re: Titanfall Adding Titan-less Mode Aug 28, 2014, 21:08 Redmask

Greenish wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:17:
So I don't get the hate for Titanfall here, is it because it's Xbox One/PC exclusive?

Every little comment that isn't positive is hate?

News Comments > Diablo III 2.1.0 Now Live
32. Re: Diablo III 2.1.0 Now Live Aug 28, 2014, 21:06 Redmask

InBlack wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 08:30:
Ok I read up on this a bit. So there have been DDOS attacks prior to Blizzard releasing this patch. I have been playing Hearthstone for days now and have yet to experience any problems with logging in or any disconnects at all. They may be only targeting US server I get that, but there is no evidence they are responsible for the latest outages which have coincided with the release of this patch.

They announced it on twitter every time before they did it. Admit you cocked up and move on.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
75. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 21:00 Redmask

yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 20:10:
Who said that I accepted it blindly?

You, several times. Like here:

I have to admit that, also based on the problems I have outlined above, I didn't watch her latest videos and didn't follow what happened outside of that. That's also the reason why, when discussing this topic, I tried to make as few references to her as possible. Just because I don't know much about what's going at the moment. Same thing with Zoe. What's important to me is the message, that there is sexism in video games, in the video games industry, in the tech industry etc. and that's what I'm concerned about.

You're walking into discussions, calling people arseholes if they don't have the reaction you want, without really knowing what is going on and saying that your mind can't be changed because 'sexism = true'. Perhaps you should stop to consider why people are reacting the way they are, the context and circumstances surrounding everything will make it more clear. Recent news has contained many revelations about these movements and it has people questioning whats manufactured or beaten into our heads through guilt driven editorials and what is real. You haven't been following it and I'd suggest its time to dig in, there's been a lot of censorship, threats that conveniently rear their head at opportune times with dubious circumstance and other alarming bullshit surrounding it all.

Let me ask you a few questions that probably won't sit well with a black and white moral compass. Do you think men alone are sexist? Do you look around in life and not see women being sexist? Really stop and think about that one for a few minutes. When men create media targeted at men, do you think its wrong if they don't consider womens feelings? How about the reverse? My point is that maybe some sexism is inherent based on cultural and gender differences, its not all wrong headed and mean spirited either. People cloud those differences with behavioral issues exhibited by a minority and then unfairly tar all men with it.

As for the industry at large, they create what sells. Yelling at people about sexism doesn't get people anywhere. Make games, buy games, do it in volume and the industry will have no problems, the audience follows suit. Why do you think the NFL has breast cancer ribbons, more female reporters than ever before and is increasingly targeting womens issues in what was largely considered a male driven sport? The answer is that it became a growth market and no one ignores money.

70. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:54 Redmask

yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:34:
Of course you need a means to get your point across. Like Anita. Though it looks like that she's not really useful as a vehicle for that since she has lost a lot of credibility.
Yes, her reasons may be selfish but rape threats? Come on. This is some fucked up stuff right there.

A dishonest message from people with questionable motives does no one any good. The fact that you would accept something blindly simply because it might have some lofty moral purpose in a very narrow context is troubling. As for these rape threats, I'd suggest you take a closer look at the evidence and decide if they're legitimate or not without just taking her word for it. She isn't even garnering these in actual games from gamers but instead through anonymous sources on twitter.

65. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 19:03 Redmask

yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 18:52:
As a compassionate being your first reaction shouldn't be one of irritation but of empathy. Maybe I am too gullible but as I said: that kind of callousness is not something I can readily comprehend.

That was many peoples first reaction. And second, third, fourth and then it started to become really obvious what was going on. People use terms like victim complex because that is exactly what is going on here.

Here's an uncomfortable truth. Men and women are different, they will never be treated as complete equals in all things. People tote around female demographics in the gaming industry but for the most part they are not playing the same kinds of games we are. We have female oriented television, movies, games and books just like we have male driven media.

People like Anita are not interested in equality. They are interested in their way of thinking being the dominant one. That is what pisses people off. There is no honest discussion going on, we are being spoken to and told what to do with this overriding idea that we are horrible people if we do not. I am tired of anyone telling me whats going on in my head with my morals based on some imagined lack of action on my part. So excuse me if I yawn when I see this sort of thing but I've seen it all before, several times already and been treated like shit by people who supposedly want my help, some which have been revealed as complete frauds.

I don't want to see anyone treated badly, male or female. But guess what? That's fucking life, especially on the internet. Bad things happen to good people, we do our best to minimize that and we move on. Some utter moron like Anita paints a target on her chest, eggs people on then plays the drama queen when something actually happens (and I'm not even convinced it did based on the evidence). That says nothing about you, me or anyone else. It says something about her.

57. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:27 Redmask

yuastnav wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:19:
I don't give a shit.

Then it's not really fair to expect anyone else to care either. If you can't see someone elses point of view then you can't bridge the gap to your own.

Someone will be sexist or racist regardless of whether I insult him or not and if that person is unable to reflect on that themselves, after I called them out on it, then I wouldn't be able to help them anyway.

That's bullshit and you should know it. Calling people a bunch of ignorant sexist woman haters, arseholes or whatever you want to say is going to immediately get someone playing defensive. Figuring out their point of view and getting them to see your own is harder work but pays off dividends by comparison.

Speaking of open minds, maybe you should consider the alternative that people might not be the way you think they are and that you're buying into a narrative spun by people who have skin in the game. I would think that the events of the past week would show that such a thing is not only a possibility but a frequent event.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 17:17 Redmask

Smoking is disgusting but thankfully smokers have become the pariahs of our society and I see less and less people doing it.  

2019 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo