Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for MindStalker3

Real Name MindStalker3   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 26, 2012, 16:18
Total Comments 77 (Suspect)
User ID 57655

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
41. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 12:18 MindStalker3

If it wasn't for the insanely high credit card fees, I'd almost guess they are taking backers money to invest in themselves just to make these totals higher.

That said, I certainly think they almost want the insanity of the kickstarter to stop, so they are offering junk like towels in hope people stop giving them more money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 16:07 MindStalker3

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 14:44:
Here's the basic problem as I see it: the underlying structure of Free 2 Play itself ruins games. Take PvZ2. This is a fun game. I put in about 25 or so hours and got about 80% complete in the game. ...
And in all honestly Demo games that you have to pay to unlock the rest of the game have been around for a long time. If I got 50% of the way through a free game and it told me. Pay $5.00 for the complete game. I may cough up the $5. If it tells me pay $1 to go to the next level, I don't know what my full investment will be. Yeah, sure the levels I've seen are fun, but how much is this going to cost me in the long run? $5, $10, $500 ?? You want to market it as F2P, when its really a Demo, fine, but at least be upfront about the total cost when I hit that wall.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 11:34 MindStalker3

Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 11:05:

I'd say that if your industry is duping children to the tune of 2.4% of your total customer base (and let's be honest, that's what was reported, and likely nowhere near the entire total), that that is a SERIOUS FUCKING PROBLEM.

"But hey, look, EA is a shitty publisher, so what I do doesn't matter!"

Yeah, that's where I had to quit reading. You can't brush away potentially hundreds of millions of dollars being earned in an arguably illegal way as no big deal (Kids can't sign contract, enticing kids to accidentally use their parents money is illegal).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
23. Re: Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition Apr 4, 2014, 10:10 MindStalker3

D4rkKnight wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 23:15:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 17:31:
I would re-buy this game if it was on Android tablets. If they want to make it for iOS, more power to them. The game is great and the more platforms the better. That said, the exclusion of the largest tablet OS on the market seems odd to me.

Also, if you own FTL on GOG, the download available through your account has already been changed. It appears you have to re-download the entire game to get the "Advanced" part. Of course, the "entire" game is 211 MB, so no big deal.

Because iPad has a single aspect ratio and small # of devices to test for. Android is a nightmare to support for developers.

From FTLs site.
http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598 But many of you might be asking “What about Android (or Surface, etc.)!?” For now, the answer is that we hope to get it on all tablet devices but do not know for sure. When we first released FTL, we did so on three operating systems simultaneously and it was a gargantuan task for a two man studio to accomplish. Learning from the difficulties of the past, we’re trying to preserve our sanity by focusing on one system at a time. Expanding tablet support will be our next highest priority, but we don’t want to make any promises (or rejections) until we’re 100% sure of the outcome.

News Comments > Shards Online: Player-Run MMORPG
11. Re: Shards Online: Player-Run MMORPG Mar 31, 2014, 14:44 MindStalker3

I was thinking about the basic issues of having multiple untrusted servers and dealing with the issue of one server granting you a ton of XP for no good reason, or servers gifting you gold. I wrote this on slashdot but copy/pasting here.

XP and gold can be treated as a universal currency. All servers are assigned XP points based upon the users % spent on their server. So you have a central authentication system that knows user Z spend 40% of his time this month on server X and 60% of his time on server Y this month. Server X in total is slightly less popular and given its 1000 users and their time spent gets allotted say 4000XP, and Server Y with its more 1200 users who spend more time on it gets allotted say 8000XP.
Those servers can have their own internal economy and XP distribution systems, but when you leave the server the server has to decide how much XP and gold to give to this leaving user. It can give it 0, but nobody will use this server, it can give that one user all 8000XP of its monthly allotment but then would piss off the rest of the userbase . Upon entering other servers that new server can have a conversion factor in the universal XP that user came in with to their local XP. Now I guess the real issue would be how to stop cheating servers that suck away a users entire XP and never give any back. I guess a universal rule that new servers can't take away XP, and trusted servers can't take away more than 10% of a users XP. Maybe special authentication system for when I user wants to voluntarily give away more than a certain amount to the server they are entering into.

So basically you have local economies mixed into a world economy, with a central bank granting countries the right to print their own money but defining the conversion factors would be set by the countries but require backing in a central conversion mechanism.

News Comments > Shards Online: Player-Run MMORPG
9. Re: Shards Online: Player-Run MMORPG Mar 31, 2014, 14:16 MindStalker3

Really depends upon what their economic model is. If they expect users to pay them $10 a month its a rip-off. If that $10 a month gets shared with the runners of the most popular servers based upon usage models, maybe that could work.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 21, 2014, 10:39 MindStalker3

"Starbucks' new digital tip jar won't benefit baristas."

What a stupid article. It doesn't say Starbucks baristas won't get your digital tips, just that people don't tip at Starbucks and they are likely to continue not tipping even if digital.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 MindStalker3

Also... Pizza Hut having fancy touch screen tables so I can get my cold pizza from a rude waiter without actually having to talk to them? Have they seen the state of most Pizza Huts lately?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 10, 2014, 11:50 MindStalker3

Archival Disc? What a stupid name. Great if your talking about a storage medium, stupid for a consumer level disc you might buy a movie on. You know they will add DRM technologies to this.

"Don't copy that Archival" doesn't make any sense.

News Comments > MS Planning DirectX 12
61. Re: MS Planning DirectX 12 Mar 6, 2014, 15:18 MindStalker3

Bundy wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:13:
Beelzebud wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 15:09:
D3D? Mantle? Screw both. OpenGL does it all and isn't controlled by MS or AMD.

Yeah, OpenGL. As a developer I haven't had too much experience with OpenGL, at least not recently. But a lot of my graphic dev friends feel very differently about OpenGL than I see on the gaming site forums. It's not as awesome as you might think.

So your saying a smallish opensource project that tries to generically abstract 3D drivers doesn't have the raw performance of a large project created by Microsoft intended to work across a wide range of devices while being specifically tuned to as many devices as possible due to their larger resources???

Honestly the world would be a better place had OpenGL taken off in the 90s as the defacto standard. But as it is now, its not nor will it be.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 10:33 MindStalker3

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 10:02:
I don't think there is such a thing as a work safe South Park video.

Well usually its just audio. This video included aliens anal probing the dad and random nudity (at least as far as I got into the video).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 09:58 MindStalker3

Warning, not just NSFW audio, NSFW video as well.
Was watching at work with headphones on, turned it off halfway through as some of the images aren't shoulder surfing safe.

//Ugh, hate working in a open desk not even cube walls farm.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 30, 2014, 21:21 MindStalker3

Hopefully they start offering a monthly subscription with that. My year just ran out and I haven't had $80 spare lying around to buy the next year, been debating it though. But $120? I don't ship $10 worth a stuff a month honestly.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. SimCity Jan 16, 2014, 16:41 MindStalker3

It sounds like they are disabling online play all together with the way he described ripping out code. I wonder if that's true.  

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
32. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 13, 2014, 13:45 MindStalker3

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 11:14:
I thought this game was impossible to run offline

Well it did take them an entire year to rewrite the game engine business model, to support offline mode. So yes, it was impossible with game engine business model version 1.0

News Comments > YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns
29. Re: YouTube on YouTube Game Takedowns Dec 18, 2013, 12:56 MindStalker3

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 21:33:
If you want to monetize it, get permission. It's pretty simple. No one's saying you can't engage in Fair Use otherwise.

Get who's permission? The game companies license music for their game. They also allow you to film their game and post videos on youtube. But the music creators are saying that their music that came along with a game aren't licensed. BS. If I made a movie using licensed music, then I allow you to take clips from my movie, there is nothing the original music licensee can/would do about it.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M
15. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 10:55 MindStalker3

Shataan wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:45:
"Currently the problem is the resolution"

That was my whole point. And the resolution is NOT a problem. They have easy access to high rez usable view screens. Their problem is not a technical issue.

It is a MONEY issue. Same as it was back in the day. They wanted PROFIT, so they cheaped out on the displays resulting in pixelated mess. Now they are trying to find an acceptably high rez display..... for as cheap as possible.

what they should do, is deliver it with a decent high rez display.... and take a bit of a loss much like Sony did with the PS 3. Better this, than shipping a less than decent display. Sony took the loss, but not they are everywhere.

I doubt in the 90s you really could have put a decent resolution display in such a small package without huge weight issues. Today with screen technology its finally possible.

I would be willing to bet they will offer multiple models with different resolutions. No reason they can't appease all possible consumers.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 26, 2013, 15:37 MindStalker3

Jivaro wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 15:11:
I wonder how her experience compares to other stores. I can't believe that 75% of XBones are busted out of the box.

No, but it being a problem with a certain batch is highly likely. MS would probably like this information so they can track down the source of that bad batch.

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
31. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 12, 2013, 13:53 MindStalker3

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:22:
I wanted to get into it but the FX looked so cartoony, like WoW in space cartoony I just couldn't get past the screen shots.

Really? Its a rouge like game. This is 1000 times better graphics than nethack (or 1000 times worse depending upon who you ask). Its not about the graphics anyways, its a strategy games. Would you complain that Risk board game has crappy graphics?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 5, 2013, 08:56 MindStalker3

avianflu wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 08:37:
$100 mini wii = the least-wanted kids' XMAS gift of 2013.

Yep, if it came with Wifi I'd consider it for the second TV as Wiis do make great video streaming devices. But this is a device without a purpose.

77 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo