Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Baristan

Real Name Baristan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 15:30
Total Comments 31 (Suspect)
User ID 57641

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Expands
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Expands Dec 16, 2014, 13:54 Baristan

siapnar wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:52:
So is it even worth getting due to the repetition?

I played a couple hours of it at my buddy's and thought it was awesome as hell
I got a good 25 hours of fun out of it.
After that there wasn't anything left to do but fight more Warchiefs, and the repetition set in.

One of my favorite games of this year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ciri Confirmed for The Witcher 3
10. Re: Ciri Confirmed for The Witcher 3 Dec 16, 2014, 13:24 Baristan

If CD Projekt RED keeps making DRM free AAA games without micro transactions spyware or other gimmicks to shake more money out of their customers.
I'll keep buying them at full price.

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
26. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 19:15 Baristan

Kajetan wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 11:06:
Sales aside ... does anyone know whats up with this Cyberpunk 2077 project from CD Projekt?? The website is down several weeks now, no news, no new screenshots on the Facebook page since summer, nothing. Is this project on "hiatus"? Or even cancelled?
I visited the website Tuesday and it was up. Hasn't been updated in forever, but a dev gave an interview in November. They plan on keeping quiet until after The Witcher 3 ships.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2014, 20:38 Baristan

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 19:51:
Congrats on whomever was able to buy Shadows of Mordor off Amazon for $19.99 (Download version), it must have been an error, because they locked that down pretty quick.

I missed it.

*EDIT* Also, Space Run is pretty awesome, for an indie tower defense game.
Grabbed that deal Friday morning the second I saw it.
Still downloading... another day and a half to go.
DSL sucks.

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
41. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 20:37 Baristan

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:17:
Just like DX10 didn't have much different about it than DX9, feature-wise. The advantages of the last few newer versions are largely related to efficiency.

Feature wise DX9 and DX10 might be similar, but the API is very different. I found this out while writing a wrapper for DX10 and DX11. I had a few DX9 wrappers to copy from, but ended up having to write everything from scratch.

DX10 is missing features that Starcitizen is using. No tessellation, limited shaders, texture size, multi-threading, 2GB resource limit...
Oh and that double precision floating point they are working on for the large maps isn't supported by DX10.

RSI could get the game running on DX10, but they would need to spend significant time doing so, and compromise the quality.

I would rather they spend that time and resources fixing the game.

The launcher needs it. No reason for it to use almost the same amount of CPU while downloading as the game does while running. It still crashes when accessing a drop down menu while a patch is downloading.

The flight controls are bugged. Randomly spinning still happens. After crashing and re-spawning the ship often starts flying backwards. Flying the Aurora in a race is almost guaranteed to have some control issues including super slow(almost not moving) forward flight.

The animation system they are using breaks too many things.

Head-tracking needs a lot of work. The helmet does not move with the head. Rendering order is wrong, the body is rendered separate from the helmet, and ignores z-depth. This is common in games to hide clipping problems. Worst of all the new auto focus moves the view making head tracking in a dogfight impossible(probably a way to turn this off, but I haven't found it yet)

Despite everything wrong with this game flying the M50 in a race using a x52, ruder pedals, and track IR is a blast. Too bad it won't be free for much longer.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 8, 2014, 02:59 Baristan

If no one has anything important to say, why do they spend billions trying to listen?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 19:04 Baristan

Until the NSA or Cracker hacks your device. Then they have full access to everything the Echo hears. Amazon is not likely to violate your trust in the device. Amazon would love to mine all of your conversations, but still answers to public opinion(lost sales). Other actors have more to gain and less to lose.  

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off
9. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off Oct 22, 2014, 19:28 Baristan

It sounds like the DEV is making true on his threat to abandon production of the game due to "trolling" on metacritic.

(reddit)

quote from the dev taken from rockpapershotgun.com

“Pilots.

There’s quite a picturesque scene on our page at metacritic.com. Most of the comments left by players (there’s no proof that they actually played the game thou) are blankly negative. These people have a direct, vivid and purposeful intention to finish the very existence of IL-2 brand. They want this remarkable and world-renown flight sim franchise to die. I’ve discussed the situation with Loft earlier today. So, if the user opinion shown by metacritic is what the community believes in, then we, as he says, will need to close the project this December. If their attitude prevails, if haters win and dominate over those who love IL-2 Sturmovik then the game is over – it’s out of the shelves, out of hard drives, out of memory.

If you want to shut down the series then just leave the situation as it is now, and let a bunch of trolls and haters finish it.

You want the game to live, to develop and to turn into the best WWII combat flight sim over time? You love it? Then speak it out. Tell you virtual and real friends, tell the new younger pilots, tell it to the group of 30 men who is not on the forum and whose days and nights are devoted to creating IL-2 for you.”

A dev pisses off a few players, censors critiques on their forums. The censored players spam metacritic with bad reviews, Dev threatens to quit production. A week later another early access game is released before it is complete. All paying customers are left without the game they were promised. Continuing the tradition of IL-2.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
25. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 17:20 Baristan

Yakubs wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:24:
She's just another suit that gets extra attention due to her looks. /snore

I've talked to people that worked with her. All of them said she is a legit developer and knows her shit(not just a suit). Her good looks do get her attention, but many people don't take her seriously because of them.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 20, 2014, 17:05 Baristan

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 13:05:
Some legit filehosters also have tiny checkboxes pre-checked that if you don't uncheck them link you to download "helpers" (all scams, of course)

Even Adobe Flash and Oracle Java have been bundled with malware. Can't trust sourceforge or CNET's downloads.com anymore either. Sad world we live in.

Does anyone know of a good sandboxing app?

News Comments > Star Citizen CitizenCon Trailers
27. Re: Star Citizen CitizenCon Trailers Oct 16, 2014, 21:44 Baristan

Like CJ_Parker said I was changing launcher settings not game settings. You can disable the launcher music and set download rate limits in the advanced settings menu. This is where it crashes, but only when a patch is downloading.
If it allowed access to game settings while patching, I would consider that a bug as well.

The good news is they have a lot of content remaining for the Bug Smashers segment of Around the Verse(Best part of the show by far). When they run out SC should be a great game.

News Comments > Star Citizen CitizenCon Trailers
21. Re: Star Citizen CitizenCon Trailers Oct 16, 2014, 18:11 Baristan

With the free ship week I thought I would try and play Star Citizen. The last time I played Star Citizen there were bugs, but I managed to enter arena commander and fly for a few hours. Even managed to play a few multiplayer matches. The current version however is beyond buggy.

The installer crashed when I opened the advanced settings menu while patching. Tried changing a setting from a drop-down menu... another crash. Third time noticed my PC temp rising, changed SC launcher's CPU affinity to one core, it was using 100% of the CPU(must have been verifying the cash). After a while CPU usage dropped to 50%. Still way to high for a launcher.

My 5 minutes trying to play:
Game loads. Open up the menu to change graphic settings to low(high textures caused my PC to randomly pause during combat in the old version) click the arrow to lower the setting, and nothing happens. Click it again... Crash to desktop. Reload game and managed to get the settings to low. Enter arena commander and try an offline race. Throttle up and hit 'x' to start --ship flies to the left crashing into the building-- instant death. New patch had reset my controls, mapping strafe to the thumb slider on my x-52. Didn't want to risk another crash to desktop so I kept playing with the default joystick mapping. After a respawn I managed to fly through two gates before the ship started spinning out of control crashing into a building. Respawned, the ship is still spinning. Could slow the spinning with joystick input, but not stop it. Exit to hanger. The view is still spinning. Reboot and load SC again this time the HUD changes size while waiting for the race to start. Most of the ships HUD is now off screen. The spinning starts again before the first gate.

After 5 min of trying to play I gave up. Should have given up after I found multiple bugs in the installer.

News Comments > GRID Autosport Drag Pack Released
3. Re: GRID Autosport Drag Pack Released Oct 15, 2014, 03:01 Baristan

Finally a race mode where you don't need mirrors.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
12. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Oct 4, 2014, 18:12 Baristan

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 16:36:
Jackplug wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 16:18:
They must of put another eyecandy button in the cockpit, well worth that extra 10million!

You'd think with all that money, they could at least program the stick in the cockpit to not move around in a notchy fashion. What the fuck is that all about? This isn't 1997. It should be able to move to the position of your physical stick, not have pre-determined positions. That little detail alone has caused me to ignore this shit game.

They fixed the stick movement months ago. If you are going to hate on the game at least find a fault that is somewhat current. With Star Citizen it should be easy.

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX's Cloud Plans
4. Re: SQUARE ENIX's Cloud Plans Sep 19, 2014, 12:01 Baristan

One day cloud gaming may work. Hopefully UBI over invests in this project and loses enough money that the pro DRM management is scrapped. They make some good games, but spend a lot of effort in convincing me not to purchase them.  

News Comments > The Crew Trailer
4. Re: The Crew Trailer Sep 18, 2014, 16:44 Baristan

I loved FUEL. It had many flaws. The arcadeish controls and lifeless world ruined it for many people. However the huge world and cross country travel gave me hours of enjoyment.
IRL I was stuck in the middle of nowhere for 6 months(happens regularly to me). Had slow internet, when it worked at all. With a lot of free time and no distractions I managed to 100% complete FUEL (1st in all races, found every location/collectable). Did the same with Driver San Francisco. Am still waiting for another game to fill this void.
I tried out The Crew's beta. Looked like it had the large world of FUEL with the better driving and traffic from Driver. Then the social BS got in the way. Tried to ignore it, but there were too many random people driving like idiots(same as me) most of whom tried to ram me off the road. Then my internet connection died and I was booted from the game. Very disappointing.
Racing with friends will be fun for many people, but exploring the countryside... with poor communication and multiple ideas on where to go... best left to single player. The Crew would make a great single player game, and I would gladly pay $60 for it, but with the forced social and always on connection it is worthless for me.

News Comments > Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer
11. Re: Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer Sep 13, 2014, 16:25 Baristan

Don't forget to buy a new hanger to park your $140 350R racer in.
A steal at only $50 each. Why not buy them all. And since many ships now don't come with jump drives you better by a few when they become available.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
19. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 15:53 Baristan

Julio wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 15:24:
Only $400? Where's the $4000+ ship package? There's some sucker out there who will pay.

$5000
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/War-Pack

They had packages that were more expensive, but they 'sold out'.
At what point does the game quit being entertainment and become a cult?

News Comments > Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial
18. Re: Star Citizen at $50 Million; New Commercial Aug 16, 2014, 15:48 Baristan

DangerDog wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 15:19:
Can they pull that miracle off? If they're relying on crytek's netcode I somehow doubt it.

They have spent most of the last month rewriting Crytek's net code.
Arena Commander had "rubber-banding" issues due to Crytek's code, and RSI claim to have fixed most of it. I haven't played Arena Commander(multiplayer) yet, but videos on Youtube make it look like a whole lot of fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ODM15dbDMbM

Hopefully this game doesn't become a P2W micro transaction POS. If it does we still have Elite Dangerous.

31 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo