Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Baristan

Real Name Baristan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 15:30
Total Comments 47 (Suspect)
User ID 57641

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 16:58 Baristan

After reading Microsoft's new privacy statement. I really wish Linux gaming would take off.

...for example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies.
...Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)...

And by using any Microsoft product(including windows) you agree to the new TOS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 8, 2015, 15:32 Baristan

The Witcher 3 really is that good.

After the herbalist in White Orchard I was convinced.
The amount and uniqueness of the personality/character that goes into each NPC, even when their purpose is for just one quest, is amazing. The choices you have to make are ofter morally ambiguous with potential devastating consequences. The quests interconnect and choices have an effect on the world.

All of this is evident from a simple fetch quest... There will be a second play through.

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
17. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 15:24 Baristan

Flatline wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:41:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:00:
Grats CD Projekt. It looks awesome!

Yes. This is great news. Because it means they can focus on Cyberpunk now

#1 reason I'm excited for The Witcher III release.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
120. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 16:39 Baristan

I decided to unlock the "Business Park" requiring 20k commercial squares. Had a city of 70K and 16,250/20,000 and thought it would be easy. At 100k pop I only had 16,540... commercial demand is odd. It started to grow a bit again at 105k, and at 119,980 pop I finally managed to reach the 20k commercial needed.

Next unique building, the "Observatory", required 1,000 vacant buildings. Figured if I turned off all the power it wouldn't take long. The pop raised to 125k before any one left. Then every one left at once. 125,000 to less than 200 in no time at all.

Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 19, 2015, 08:08 Baristan

Attacking Clinton on little things like this makes her look like the victim. It also gets her name repeated many times and us used to the idea of her running for president.

If it's already time to start political campaigning...
Jill Stein for president.

87. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 02:24 Baristan

I started building districts that are only connected by subway and rail.
No more garbage trucks/hearses/firetrucks traveling out of their assigned areas. Significantly reduces traffic, can get away with less incinerators and crematories, and no more buildings burning down next door to the fire station.

53. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 05:35 Baristan

Grokk wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 22:13:
I'm madly impressed that they've built this on the Unity engine as well. I've worked with Unity a bit, but this is well beyond what I thought it was capable of. Both in performance and how they've fit it to the genre.

Have you tried Unity 5 yet? It runs much faster for me than 4 did. The grass shader still kills fps and the tree shader still deforms the trees when moving the view direction, but over all it is a big improvement.

52. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 05:29 Baristan

Creston those are some good tips, will have to try raising my taxes.

Some tips for traffic management:

- Ambulance/Police/Hearse/School/... are effected by road distance not just radius. Long roads with little branching will reduce the total area they can cover.

- Industry creates a lot more traffic than residential.

- Setting a residential district's policy to not allow trucks can(but not always) reduce intersection issues. It also should reduce noise pollution in the neighborhood.

- Do not put many intersections too close to each other. When one stop light turns red and backs up traffic to the next intersection it starts a chain reaction and significantly reduces flow.

- The larger the road the farther apart intersections should be.
Have small roads feed into medium roads, and medium roads into large roads. This results in fewer intersections on the larger roads preventing traffic backups.

My city became grid locked when I reached 15k people. Collecting all the small roads from my light residential district into a medium road and connection the medium road in a few places to the main road fixed almost all of the traffic issues. It increased the distance between lights from 10 squares to over 50 squares. Less stop and go, and no chain reactions. Big difference.

Now that I've reached 30k people, I have frame rate issues in densely populated areas. Graphic settings have no effect and the game is using 25% cpu. Must be using only 2 cores and my i7 920@2.67GHz can't keep up. What kind of processor do those of you who experience no slowdowns at 50k+ cities have? ...can't believe it's been 6 years since my last cpu upgrade.
edit... some how I had the affinity set to 2 processors. Removed that and now everything runs perfectly smooth with the ~30% cpu usage.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2015, 08:11.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2015, 14:07 Baristan

I pay over $50 a month for 1.5/0.75 Mbit/s connection. If I lived 4 blocks in any direction I could get 20 Mbit/s for ~$70. New games often take over a week to download.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 07:10 Baristan

InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 03:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 20:57:
We are fighting a war on the street.

I know its a figure of speech but this is disturbing. If policemen feel they are in danger 24/7 they are much more likely to use excessive force.

That is a big part of the problem.

With so many cameras around and more incidents being reported everyone are more paranoid then they should be. It's a hard job. Most officers are good people who do their jobs well, but when a mistake is made they try hard to deny anything is wrong, and are now loosing the trust of the public.

The cops in this video will most likely just get a slap on the wrist unless the Feds step in. This incident happened last month. Last I heard the police officers involved still hadn't been interviewed. And now the county coroner is being accused of giving an inaccurate autopsy.

The cops may go unpunished for the unjustified shooting, but the witness who uploaded the video to youtube will be fired from his city job for refusing to give his phone to the police without a warrant.

The victim was a mentally unstable repeat offender convicted of assaulting police officers, and was in this country illegally. He wasn't fighting a war, or trying to kill the police. He was just a crazy guy who wanted to die and threw a few rocks at cars and possibly one at an officer.

I still don't see how this incident has anything to do with race like many of the protesters were suggesting.

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Released
5. Re: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Released Mar 11, 2015, 04:56 Baristan

I had some control issues at first, but it's working fine now. The first few missions were very frustrating. A few levels in I'm having more fun, but my 'R' key is still getting a workout. Averaging around 50-100 deaths per floor.
The music is just as good as in the first game, and there is more of it. Too bad it costs $35 to get the game+soundtrack+EP. No more .ogg files in the game dir.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
5. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 24, 2015, 15:19 Baristan

The launcher still crashes whenever you click on a drop down menu item. It's been nearly a year and they haven't even acknowledged that this bug exists.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2015, 09:36 Baristan

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 07:43:
Holo goggles would need at least some kind of finger attachment, maybe coupled with a ring so that it can know where the hand is... if you want to use it in the room for say, switching TV channels you are not gonna get away with "no buttons" ;)

This set of augmented reality goggles has optical hand tracking.

The 120deg cameras are for position tracking as well as gesture/hand recognition(viewable fov is tiny not 120deg). It's the equivalant of straping a Leap Motion to your face. Should work as long as you can see your hand.

Interesting quotes from this article:

"Microsoft plans to distribute lots of development kits this year."

"If you want to play holographic Minecraft, the only place to do it is going to be on this." Terry Myerson

Well now we know why Microsoft spent $2B on Mojang; to make sure Mincraft won't support Oculus, Sony, or Google AR/VR.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
14. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 16, 2015, 20:08 Baristan

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 18:53:
I didn't play GTA4 on PC, but wasn't it mostly a train wreck? I never preorder games, but I'd be pretty leery on this one given the history.
At launch it was a hog and I quit playing it. A year and a few patches later, it was playable. I won't preorder V, but will buy it when reviews say it is working properly.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
28. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 22:29 Baristan

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 17:17:
That's quite interesting, considering their stretch goal for 10 million bucks was, and I quote: "Cloud Imperium Games will build their own mocap studio to improve the quality of Star Citizen and Squadron 42ís cutscenes."

They did build their own mocap studio.

Then they hired people who know how to use it.

I'ts a real important part of any space sim. I am looking forward to the new Limit Theory dev blog about his mocap setup.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
40. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 18:22 Baristan

Wildone wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:25:
They gotta fix their flight model, it fucking sucks. I dont care what technology is in the future if you bank left you expect the vehicle to bank left, not do some weird strafe/arc/roll maneuver. Horrible.

I don't know what you are talking about. The best part of SC is the flight model. yaw/pitch/roll/strafe all work properly(when they are not bugging out) The default setting is with x-axis mapped to yaw. It bugs me but takes less than a minute to customize the controls.

Sounds like you must have both yaw and roll mapped to the same axis, or are a victim of a bug I haven't seen yet.

Star Citizen will hit 100M$ in a few months when they release the FPS module and backers find out that they need to pay an extra $5-$10 because their alpha access only covers the arena module. RSI does a great job of shaking more money from their fans. Sane people will complain while the $1K+ crowd will throw more money at the game.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Expands
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Expands Dec 16, 2014, 13:54 Baristan

siapnar wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:52:
So is it even worth getting due to the repetition?

I played a couple hours of it at my buddy's and thought it was awesome as hell
I got a good 25 hours of fun out of it.
After that there wasn't anything left to do but fight more Warchiefs, and the repetition set in.

One of my favorite games of this year.

News Comments > Ciri Confirmed for The Witcher 3
10. Re: Ciri Confirmed for The Witcher 3 Dec 16, 2014, 13:24 Baristan

If CD Projekt RED keeps making DRM free AAA games without micro transactions spyware or other gimmicks to shake more money out of their customers.
I'll keep buying them at full price.

News Comments > Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale
26. Re: Free Age of Wonders with GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 4, 2014, 19:15 Baristan

Kajetan wrote on Dec 4, 2014, 11:06:
Sales aside ... does anyone know whats up with this Cyberpunk 2077 project from CD Projekt?? The website is down several weeks now, no news, no new screenshots on the Facebook page since summer, nothing. Is this project on "hiatus"? Or even cancelled?
I visited the website Tuesday and it was up. Hasn't been updated in forever, but a dev gave an interview in November. They plan on keeping quiet until after The Witcher 3 ships.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Dec 3, 2014, 20:38 Baristan

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 19:51:
Congrats on whomever was able to buy Shadows of Mordor off Amazon for $19.99 (Download version), it must have been an error, because they locked that down pretty quick.

I missed it.

*EDIT* Also, Space Run is pretty awesome, for an indie tower defense game.
Grabbed that deal Friday morning the second I saw it.
Still downloading... another day and a half to go.
DSL sucks.

47 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo