Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Baristan

Real Name Baristan   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 15:30
Total Comments 58 (Suspect)
User ID 57641
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Amnesia Free on Steam
17. Re: Amnesia Free on Steam Sep 15, 2015, 21:49 Baristan
Skyborn is also free today if you signup for a Bundle Stars mailing list.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 17, 2015, 01:44 Baristan
Windows 10 > iOS > Andriod

Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it ok.

The iCloud leak last year is a good example of what can happen. Some people did flip their lids over it, but not enough to make a difference. At least uploading your files is voluntary. Most people are unaware of all the data their smart phone collects.
News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 16, 2015, 19:50 Baristan
WaltC wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 16:34:
The "spying" claims are, as usual, utterly sensational and much ado about nothing...;) Propaganda spread by the usual congenitally anti-Microsoft suspects who also see a "Red under every bed," jump twenty feet when spotting their own shadows--pure Milquetoasts, etc.

The absolute worse things you have to fear from Windows 10 are seeing ads for things you might want to actually buy instead ads for things that don't remotely interest you. If you don't like that--use an ad-blocker and you foil the "spymasters" completely. This "spying" fuss isn't so much paranoia from people as it is base stupidity, imo.
It's sad that so many people agree with you.
A little bit of fear is healthy. There is precedent for the importance of privacy.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

or differential pricing at retailers based on their profile.
News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet
6. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet Aug 16, 2015, 05:35 Baristan
After completing the game...
It's not as complicated as Uplink, but it is a lot more fun.
Playing a second time to do the other faction missions.
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet Aug 15, 2015, 16:27 Baristan
I've enjoyed the game so far. 7 hours in and ~50% done. I read every file so most people should finish it in about 10h.
It's not a real hacking game like the Wargames on OverTheWire. It's very simular to Uplink. Not quite as good, but the closest any game has come in the 14 years since.

I haven't tried the Desura version yet, but it should be a good demo for those who would like to try before they buy the full version. However it might spoil some of the full game.

You can get the full version on Steam or DRM free at GOG.
2. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Hacknet Aug 15, 2015, 16:00 Baristan
The Desura version is the prototype made in a game jam competition.
Steam version has 5-10x the content as the Desura version.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 14:07 Baristan
Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 00:35:

My avast web shield keeps complaining about an ad on your page:

As being a malware page.

Can you look into it, please?

The domain of the url you gave( was flaged by one AV scanner, but isn't currently hosting any known malware/virus.
More than likely it was serving ads to a piece of malware and got flaged by association. Can't find any more info on it.

BluesNews has admittedly "sold out long ago" using ads to fund the site.
Every time you load a BluesNews page you are connection to google-analytics/switchhub/amazon-adsystem/quantserve/. Not only do these sites serve ads, they track you. Any forum that has a time stamp for comments can be cross referenced to track what you post. Since Google Analytics is used on just about every site, and they spider most forums; They could in theory look up anyone's name and have a near complete record of their online posts and activity.
What are the chances this will never be used in an election within the next 50 years?

Using a host file to block tracking servers help, but also block ads funding the sites you visit.
54. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 22:58 Baristan
Kxmode wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 13:56:
Baristan wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 13:20:
New site layout wishes

Responsive! This site is a pain to read on my phone. Twitter's Bootstrap framework is an excellent way to convert existing sites into responsive sites.
You can do "responsive" and support no javascript at the same time.
"Unobtrusive JavaScript" is a good practice.
Too bad Bootstrap doesn't follow it.
49. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 13:20 Baristan
New site layout wishes
  • Keep JavaScript free browsing. I have 10 BluesNews tabs open atm and 80+ others. noscript not only keeps my browser safer from malware, viri, and tracking, but also stable with low cpu usage.

• Keep the color contrast between user comments. Makes skimming so much easier. Might want to add something similar to the main page. Some color makes visual parsing of a page much easier.

• I don't see the Amazon link anymore. My firewall filters it out along with all the ads. Can it be a link on the page and not a frame redirecting traffic to amazon every time I view BluesNews. Us ad-blockers are the ones that need it to support the site through it.

• Rarely use the sidebar, but if it becomes a drop down menu I'll never click on it and "STORIES OF NOTE" and "POPULAR THREADS" will become even less useful

• If you want examples of what to/not to/ do, view Netflix and Videosift's new layouts. I don't like Videosift's layout, but it is nice enough to allow me to keep the old one(always a good idea when experimenting with a new design). While Netflix thinks it's users don't know what's good for them, and every part of their new design is more efficient and useful. It might be on a tablet, but definitely not on my desktop. With all tabs named "Netflix" and no longer containing the title name; Tree-tab browsing is difficult on their site. Why do they think only using the top half of the page to display the movie info is better than the whole page? Having to click on Overview/Episodes/More like this/Details is much less efficient that scrolling. Trying to read user reviews on their site is like using Metro on a desktop. If you can't tell I really hate Netflix's new layout. Every time I've seen someone try to make a single UI for all devices it ends up worse.
    News Comments > Op Ed
    15. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 14:10 Baristan
    Where do you draw the line on what is acceptable data collection?
    Can I put a cameras in your house or implant one in your head?

My father didn't like using credit cards and refused to carry a cellphone. He didn't like making it easy for "them" to track him. Was he a nut... maybe.

I refuse to have a Facebook account or smartphone/e-reader that sends usage statistics. The content of my communications, who my friends are, my location at every second are not for Google/Microsoft/NSA/Advertizes/general public.

You seem to be fine using an OS that tracks how you use every app on your computer, your typing habits, location, network usage, browsing history, files on your computer... It's possible to turn most(not all) of it off, have you? Most people are accepting this new data acquisition as nothing new or worrisome.

What will the next wave of acceptance bring? Where does it all end?

Last week I had a banker go through my credit card statement in front of me. He made comments on my life style(netflix, no cable) It was a little unnerving. Thank goodness I didn't have anything embracing on it.

If you haven't met anyone who doesn't agree with the way you live your life, you haven't met many people. If you haven't witnessed what is considered acceptable behavior change over time, you are still young. If you've never seen anyone willing to attack someone else based on who they are or how they live, you are oblivious. If everything there is to be known about you is available, don't ever become important. There are too many different ways to interpret reality, and too many different viewpoints for you to live a "clean" life. Enjoy being hidden in the chaff.

Otherwise Windows 10 looks like a good OS. Big improvement from past versions.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
    6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 26, 2015, 13:11 Baristan
    Tom wrote on Jul 25, 2015, 13:45:
    !@#$ing Norton, worse than any virus.
    I do tech support for friends and family, and wholly agree. Twice this summer I received a "I think I have a virus" call. Both times there was no virus. It was Windows Update using 100% of one cpu core, caused by Norton Antivirus. One computer was running 8.1, the other Vista. Uninstalled Norton and everything ran fine again.

...How can a significant percentage of people who have used computers for the past 20+ years still not know the difference between a "program"(email client/web browser), or a "web site"...
    News Comments > Op Ed
    38. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 16:58 Baristan
    After reading Microsoft's new privacy statement. I really wish Linux gaming would take off.

...for example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies.
    ...Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)...

And by using any Microsoft product(including windows) you agree to the new TOS.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
    2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jun 8, 2015, 15:32 Baristan
    The Witcher 3 really is that good.

After the herbalist in White Orchard I was convinced.
    The amount and uniqueness of the personality/character that goes into each NPC, even when their purpose is for just one quest, is amazing. The choices you have to make are ofter morally ambiguous with potential devastating consequences. The quests interconnect and choices have an effect on the world.

All of this is evident from a simple fetch quest... There will be a second play through.
    News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
    17. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 15:24 Baristan
    Flatline wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:41:
    Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:00:
    Grats CD Projekt. It looks awesome!

Yes. This is great news. Because it means they can focus on Cyberpunk now

#1 reason I'm excited for The Witcher III release.
    News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
    120. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 16:39 Baristan
    I decided to unlock the "Business Park" requiring 20k commercial squares. Had a city of 70K and 16,250/20,000 and thought it would be easy. At 100k pop I only had 16,540... commercial demand is odd. It started to grow a bit again at 105k, and at 119,980 pop I finally managed to reach the 20k commercial needed.

Next unique building, the "Observatory", required 1,000 vacant buildings. Figured if I turned off all the power it wouldn't take long. The pop raised to 125k before any one left. Then every one left at once. 125,000 to less than 200 in no time at all.

Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 19, 2015, 08:08 Baristan
    Attacking Clinton on little things like this makes her look like the victim. It also gets her name repeated many times and us used to the idea of her running for president.

If it's already time to start political campaigning...
    Jill Stein for president.
    87. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 02:24 Baristan
    I started building districts that are only connected by subway and rail.
    No more garbage trucks/hearses/firetrucks traveling out of their assigned areas. Significantly reduces traffic, can get away with less incinerators and crematories, and no more buildings burning down next door to the fire station.
    53. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 05:35 Baristan
    Grokk wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 22:13:
    I'm madly impressed that they've built this on the Unity engine as well. I've worked with Unity a bit, but this is well beyond what I thought it was capable of. Both in performance and how they've fit it to the genre.

Have you tried Unity 5 yet? It runs much faster for me than 4 did. The grass shader still kills fps and the tree shader still deforms the trees when moving the view direction, but over all it is a big improvement.
    52. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 05:29 Baristan
    Creston those are some good tips, will have to try raising my taxes.

Some tips for traffic management:

- Ambulance/Police/Hearse/School/... are effected by road distance not just radius. Long roads with little branching will reduce the total area they can cover.

- Industry creates a lot more traffic than residential.

- Setting a residential district's policy to not allow trucks can(but not always) reduce intersection issues. It also should reduce noise pollution in the neighborhood.

- Do not put many intersections too close to each other. When one stop light turns red and backs up traffic to the next intersection it starts a chain reaction and significantly reduces flow.

- The larger the road the farther apart intersections should be.
    Have small roads feed into medium roads, and medium roads into large roads. This results in fewer intersections on the larger roads preventing traffic backups.

My city became grid locked when I reached 15k people. Collecting all the small roads from my light residential district into a medium road and connection the medium road in a few places to the main road fixed almost all of the traffic issues. It increased the distance between lights from 10 squares to over 50 squares. Less stop and go, and no chain reactions. Big difference.

Now that I've reached 30k people, I have frame rate issues in densely populated areas. Graphic settings have no effect and the game is using 25% cpu. Must be using only 2 cores and my i7 920@2.67GHz can't keep up. What kind of processor do those of you who experience no slowdowns at 50k+ cities have? ...can't believe it's been 6 years since my last cpu upgrade.
    edit... some how I had the affinity set to 2 processors. Removed that and now everything runs perfectly smooth with the ~30% cpu usage.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2015, 08:11.
    News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2015, 14:07 Baristan
    I pay over $50 a month for 1.5/0.75 Mbit/s connection. If I lived 4 blocks in any direction I could get 20 Mbit/s for ~$70. New games often take over a week to download.  
    58 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News logo