Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for fiftykyu

Real Name fiftykyu   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname fiftykyu
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/fiftykyu/
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 04:17
Total Comments 59 (Suspect)
User ID 57639

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Apr 12, 2014, 20:28 fiftykyu

Last week Newegg had "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition for Mac [Online Game Code]" for $3.99, but it was just an ordinary Steam key that worked for PC too. Got some other "Mac" steam stuff from www.GameAgent.com, which I'd never heard of but apparently they are part of/owned by Asypr.

Don't know if everyone was aware of this Mac/Steam stuff, but it was news to me. More stuff I'll forget to play, yay!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
17. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 13:46 fiftykyu

Afraid I'm not seeing the problem with this sort of thing.

Charging more for "early access" or "premium ultra alpha tester access" or whatever these things are called - superficially it may sound like a group of idiots paying money to be software testers, but isn't this simply price discrimination? Clearly some people are willing to spend $150 on the game, so Mr. Braben would be a fool not to let them.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
23. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 21:01 fiftykyu

Loved Wing Commander, but haven't been following this game at all. Other than to be confused by these regular "another milestone" messages, that is. Hope this question doesn't sound like one of those troll posts, apologies if it does.

How does it happen, exactly? Are the people who bought in to the kickstarter way back when buying more space stuff each month? Are new people finally hearing about it? From the outsite it's all a bit mystifying.

News Comments > Early Steamships Ahoy - Deus Ex: The Fall
17. Re: Early Steamships Ahoy - Deus Ex: The Fall Mar 22, 2014, 09:36 fiftykyu

Finally got round to playing this.

Noodling around Deus Ex land one more time was fun. Sneaking, evading guards, the Human Revolution hacking mini-game - at times Deus Ex: The Fall felt like the real thing - but honestly, as a PC title it's a joke. The gameplay is a bit Junior's first Deus Ex adventure, and user interface, textures, tiny maps, single save game slot, disappearing bodies all remind you: This is not a port of a mobile game, this is a mobile game.

And the bugs... Configure your speakers in Windows to Stereo or voices won't play, with subtitles only appearing for a fraction of a second. And there were severe mouse issues - sometimes I would try to open a door, but had to click the "hack" button several times before the game noticed. Also choosing the correct NPC for dialogue was a mini-game itself - how do I position myself to speak with that one? - with the bonus hazard of a container or door sometimes conspiring to steal my selection.

Wouldn't be fair to comment on the shooty bits, since I always sneak around pacifist style in these games. Maybe it's great, maybe it's crap - who cares?

So I've scoured the map for side quests, rummaged through every bin, spoken to every NPC I could find. Guess it's safe to move to the next hub. So I get to the choppa, a cutscene plays, "TO BE CONTINUED" appears and I discover I've completed the entire game. Oh, right, $10.

If you're a huge Deus Ex fan, and/or you have a good imagination, maybe it's worth that $10. But look at the Steam store page: Limited Time Offer: Purchase Deus Ex: The Fall and receive Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition for free! Or, if you prefer, Purchase Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition for $10 and receive Deus Ex: The Fall for free!

p.s. For one fanboy mini-letdown I couldn't find the original Deus Ex main title playing anywhere.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
8. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 12:35 fiftykyu

Wookiestick wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 10:24:
I gave my Geforce 260 GTX to my nephew 2 Christmases ago in a rig I built for him. But by another year's time he should have something else anyway.

Small world, I did the same thing for my nephew for his birthday/Christmas present (pity the December birthday kids) but now he's working and buying his own crap so it's not my problem any more.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
6. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 12:24 fiftykyu

Crashing at the desktop is all kinds of broken. This isn't going to be of any help, but I'm still using 2x 580 in SLI, driver version hmm... "334.89" and can't recall the last time I've seen them crashing in a game, forget about sitting at the desktop.

When the 580 was new I'd turn a game up to 11, and if I got crashes or corrupt graphics the overclock was too high, so turn it down a notch and repeat... But now I just keep them at stock speeds, and see how low I can turn the voltage instead.

Wonder if it's something else in your computer going wrong, or if there's a specific piece of hardware that doesn't like those drivers for some reason. Is there an older driver that doesn't crash? A few months ago I was having strange crashes I couldn't pin down, but troubleshooting was pretty simple once the boot drive didn't show up in the bios screen. (Hooray for backups!)

Good luck with it, those intermittent problems are the most annoying to solve. Did I finally fix it? Or is it randomly working today? Who knows.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans
11. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans Feb 26, 2014, 11:24 fiftykyu

Curious if anyone has anyone played this lately. According to steam I haven't touched it since November...

Backlog keeps growing with each bundle or steam sale, so realistically I may not come back to X: Rebirth until it's a classic and I'm reinstalling for nostalgia's sake.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
43. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 23:28 fiftykyu

Orogogus wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 19:22:
fiftykyu wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 17:50:
A game that combined Elder Scrolls style open world with Dark Souls style combat might be a lot of fun. Seems Bethesda have gone in the opposite direction since Morrowind, though. Got the impression Witcher 3 was going for that combination, i.e. player skill based instead of mash R1 to kill everything, but we'll see how it turns out...

You feel Morrowind was the epitome of player skill in combat in an Elder Scrolls game?

Ok, you got me. Thought it made sense in my head, but on the page it looks pretty confused. Afraid I'm mixing two separate combat things I'd love to see, i.e. no enemy scaling (Dark Souls fits here, plus Morrowind and many other games) and combat that's player-skill based. (Dark Souls fits here too but as you pointed out, Morrowind, welll... )

I guess one big problem with having combat player-skill based, though - what if the player sucks? If you can't beat the first boss, you're not going to tell all your friends to buy the game. For no reason at all I was reminded of this problem today, while playing Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
36. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 17:50 fiftykyu

peteham wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:24:
I'd like to see them emulate Dark Souls for future games. Obligatory tangent here: Seriously you guys, if you haven't yet, play Dark Souls! Most enjoyable gaming experience for me in years. Actual *gameplay* as opposed to most "AAA" interactive stories these days, amazing exploration and atmosphere, and great bossfights to boot. And I usually *hate* bossfights. The whole difficulty/frustration thing is highly overrated. Truly some of the best combat I've tried, having a fairly simple combat system at its core, which still manages to be fairly deep thanks to different weapons having very different move sets, enemies that require entirely different approaches, and where 2-3 hits kills almost anything except bosses (which goes for the player as well). Timing, learning enemy patterns (i.e. player skill) is just as important as stats, but it doesn't really require insane reflexes either, and you can outlevel stuff to get past difficult fights if you really need to. And finally, even when highly leveled, low level zombies can still easily kill you if you're reckless, so things never really get dull.

A game that combined Elder Scrolls style open world with Dark Souls style combat might be a lot of fun. Seems Bethesda have gone in the opposite direction since Morrowind, though. Got the impression Witcher 3 was going for that combination, i.e. player skill based instead of mash R1 to kill everything, but we'll see how it turns out...

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
32. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 6, 2014, 11:34 fiftykyu

Family sharing has worked well enough for me so far. Someone else can use (most of) my games when I'm not using them, like passing around a floppy or cd in the old days. I don't see how these changes will affect how it's been used by my family, but perhaps other people use it differently.

And, like in the old days, if a game can be finished in 2 hours, or if it's a real stinker, it's great to find out on someone else's dime.

Got a Day Z for my nephew, and in spite of the "WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA..." he loves it. I'm not a zombie game fan, and playing for an hour with the family sharing didn't change my mind. But a working, finished Day Z might be a lot of fun - so I'll take another look when it's finished.

So did family sharing cost them a $30 sale today? Or maybe it will make them a $50 sale next year? No idea.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 17, 2013, 17:50 fiftykyu

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 13:09:
nin wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:32:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:45:
Good to see X-Rebirth on the top.
The game is awesome when it works Hope Egosoft patch it up quickly.

I've not been following every thread, but it is more accessible off the bat than the previous ones? I think I only tried the original and X3, but in both cases, I kind of felt lost and not sure what to do.

Thanks!

I think its easier for a new comer, yet mind bogglingly complicated for a veteran... thats my take atleast. Deffinitely wait for patches or a good sale, luckily i'm in SpectralMeat's boat as i got it on a sale. I'm holding off a bit, because the controls just frustrate me to no end at the moment. I know in the long run i'll get more then my money's worth out of it, but i'm just waiting a bit for now.

Think you're right re: newcomers vs. veterans. Steam says playtime: 6.4 hours, so I'm only scratching the surface, but I do think there's a good/great game hiding in here. And if a simplified/streamlined/user-friendly game keeps Egosoft alive to sim another day I won't complain - just don't think X: Rebirth is that game yet.

I think some changes are geniune improvements, but others feel more like change for change's sake, or an idea that sounded cool brainstorming but nobody ever asked "Hey, is this actually making the game better?"

Walking around in space stations doing space guy stuff sounds awesome, but X: Rebirth's implementation is not. Menu choices in previous games become a hunt through the station for the the correct npc, with the addition of a silly chat minigame, and a side order of stealing everyone's stuff. Yes, there are guards. No, they don't care. Could I please just call that npc on my space telephone?

Ships and stations having discrete parts, this is great. Destroy that turret, and it can't shoot at me? Yes, please more stuff like this.

Only being able to pilot one ship - I don't care. And presumably when you concentrate all your efforts on that single spaceship's interior, you can knock it out of the park. But it would be nice if all the information from the old interface were still available somewhere. Can I get some sort of HUD or 3D holo display, or at least an aftermarket space GPS? Where are the bad guys, my transport, the space police, those asteroids? Where's that place I can dock my ship? The game knows all these things, and many others, but it's strangely reluctant to share the information with the player. Why?

I don't regret buying the game, but I'm feeling good about having used greenman's 25% voucher. If you're not already an Egosoft fan, I'd say wait for a patch.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 15, 2013, 12:37 fiftykyu

Played for about an hour, haven't had any crashes but it's early yet...

So far the voice acting is typical Egosoft, but if you've played any of their games you already know what to expect in that department.

Performance isn't exactly stellar, but the graphics do look nice out in space. Indoors not so much - textures aren't rage-inducing like, well, RAGE, but they won't be winning any awards for the prettiest inside of a space station. Speaking of performance, saw a link to this elsewhere:

I come with news of SLI - Given the size and scope of the game, and the potential for there to be far more happening later in the game, we're not going to release an official profile just yet.

We're concerned some configs will be CPU bound, scale poorly, or perhaps even negatively. Therefore, I'm releasing our bits on here for a wider group of people to test with. Using NVIDIA Inspector, create a profile for Rebirth and use DX9 SLI compatibility bits 0xC2480005.

When reporting feedback, please state your FPS results, your CPU, your clock speed if you overclock, your operating system, and your GPU config (2-Way GTX TITAN SLI, for example).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Too early to say much about the interface, since I'm not used to it yet. And no idea about the story either, but those tend to be ignored once you advance far enough to start sandboxing around.

If this were my first X-series game, and I'd paid full price for it, I'd probably be confused, disappointed or angry (vide the Steam forum.) But Egosoft games do tend to be a train-wreck on day 1, so I was expecting some sort of trouble.

If you're not already a fan of their games, I'd say look for reviews and a patch before spending $50 on X: Rebirth as it is today. I'm having fun with the game, but if you were expecting a revolution in accessibility and polish like Paradox managed with Crusader Kings II, so far this isn't it.

News Comments > Morning Patches
5. Re: Morning Patches Nov 14, 2013, 00:02 fiftykyu

Taskeen wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 20:32:
New patch for BGEE is pretty good, they updated the interface.

Aha, just poking around a bit, it does look prettied up. Can't say exactly what's been changed, but they've definitely done something to it. Will have to play some more now...

News Comments > X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads
7. Re: X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 13, 2013, 19:51 fiftykyu

Quboid wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 19:28:
Note to self: don't preorder X Rebirth. Don't preorder X Rebirth. Preorders are never a good thing. Don't do it Quboid, you always regret preorders. It's an X game, it's going to be buggy. Just wait a few days for first impressions. Do not preorder.

I'm not gonna make it.

Aha, I agree with this whole thing. Managed to dodge the earlier discount @ greenman, but couldn't resist the 25% off voucher yesterday.

Be Strong!

News Comments > DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt
24. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 20:04 fiftykyu

Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:42:
fiftykyu wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:22:
Maybe if I praise that sun hard enough From Software will notice their game uses GFWL...

\[T]/

I'm trying to find it now, but I'm sure I saw a Steam depot of them trialling *something.* Could have been a patch to increase GFWL, or something else, but it was a dev/beta depot.

That sounds familiar. There was an update last month which added some anti-hacker stuff taken from a previous PS3 patch - i.e. no more teleporting or stat draining weapons, and free level-ups at a bonfire for people who'd been drained previously. Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Actually it was great, for about a day there were no hackers or cheaters, just people playing and having a good time. Didn't last...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
38. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 19:45 fiftykyu

Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:58:
dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:26:
Harlequin wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 10:19:
Why not just buy it though steam it's what I did...?

Cause its cheaper and you get a 6$ GMG credit. Some people like to save money, and its working now btw.

If by 'saving' you mean you saved enough for half a latte at Starbucks then I'll pay the extra couple of bucks for convenience since I already have a Stream account.

Umm, not to spoil your fun, but it's a Steamworks game. Buy directly from Steam, or buy the game elsewhere, you'll only be playing on Steam. So I'll take the convenience and the discount, thank you very much.

News Comments > DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt
3. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 10:22 fiftykyu

Maybe if I praise that sun hard enough From Software will notice their game uses GFWL...

\[T]/

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:19 fiftykyu

Didn't buy this XCOM expansion as I still haven't finished the base game. Oops.

However, the voucher code you mentioned (GMG25-C5729-7SY25) also works for some other things at greenman, like X: Rebirth. Wish I hadn't noticed, was trying not to pre-order that one. Hope it's not a complete disappointment...

News Comments > On Sale
12. Re: On Sale Nov 6, 2013, 10:11 fiftykyu

Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 01:49:
I got PoP, unfortunately the Silent Hunter 5 didn't work and that's what I really wanted. Oh well, can probably get in on Steam this Xmas for $5 anyway.

I (probably) got a Silent Hunter 5 key, but couldn't figure out where to enter the key on the ubisoft website. Sounds like you know where to enter the keys, so let me know if you want to try it.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Nov 5, 2013, 22:06 fiftykyu

That Humble WB Games Bundle is a nice deal. If you don't already own these it's a great price on some great games.

If you want to gift a game to someone, now instead of a steam key you send them the gift url instead.

And if getting all these games for around $5 is too much hassle, you can always try that Uplay free game screwup/whatever that's going around today. Silent Hunter 5 and some Prince of Persia game for the price of a click on your mouse...

59 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo