Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for fiftykyu

Real Name fiftykyu   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname fiftykyu
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/id/fiftykyu/
Signed On Dec 11, 2012, 04:17
Total Comments 91 (Suspect)
User ID 57639

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
19. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 21:08 fiftykyu

jimnms wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:22:
Alamar wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:33:
Now you can not only buy, and not play games, you can install them and not play them!
I used to do that. When I bought a game, I would install it immediately whether I intended to play it right then or not. I haven't done that in a while though. Now I install games when I'm ready to play them. My Steam directory is 475GB, and that's after uninstalling some games I don't play anymore and playing some that I had installed and removing them.

Yeah, gave up once I discovered bundles. It's hard enough remembering what games I bought the past week, let alone installing them...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
15. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 17:23 fiftykyu

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 14:52:
This is some good timing. I was just about to retire my two raid0 74gb raptors for a new samsung ssd as my gaming drive...not because either raptor that i bought in 2005 died mind you, but because they just wont die...ever...

Wow, forgot about that drive. Not much use today, but it sure was great back then. Still have mine lying around here somewhere, bet it still works too.

But enjoy the new SSD experience, if you haven't had one before! Even one of today's cheapest ones will probably blow you away...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls II: Crown of the Old Iron King
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dark Souls II: Crown of the Old Iron King Aug 26, 2014, 17:52 fiftykyu

Redmask wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 13:18:
How is the DLC integrated into DS2? Do I need to do it post game or is it all integrated?

Was going to look at the Metro Redux games, but remembered this DLC was today also...

If you played the original Dark Souls, it's a bit like entering the Artorias of the Abyss DLC area - you examine something in the world that sends you to the DLC area entrance. But very much unlike the Dark Souls 1 DLC, when you buy the Dark Souls 2 DLC a key is added to your inventory that tells you where to find said entrance. So you don't have to read a wiki or explore blindly or have a friend clue you in - for most people that's probably a big plus.

The entrance to the first DLC area "Crown of the Sunken King" is after the Black Gulch boss fight.

The entrance to the second DLC area (the one released today) "Crown of the Old Iron King" is after the Iron Keep boss fight.

Only spent five minutes in the new DLC area so far, reached the first bonfire and looked around a bit. Hope there's some NPCs you can talk to, as the "Crown of the Sunken King" was all exploring and fighting (unless I overlooked someone of course.)

If you're unsure about buying it, hmm...

Depends on what you want, I think. More places to see, more things to fight, more item descriptions to read, more loot. There's a fun three-NPC boss fight in "Crown of the Sunken King" that took several attempts on my NG+ character - apprently it's called the "Gank Squad Boss Fight."

So far, I'd rate Dark Souls 1's Artorias of the Abyss far above the Dark Souls 2 DLC - but that was just ridiculously good so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

News Comments > Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House
19. Re: Areal Fundraising Resumes In-House Jul 23, 2014, 18:59 fiftykyu

Icewind wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 17:25:
Creators of Stalker? Wasn't it revealed that very few of these guys were on GSC's team and those that were just happened to be there in the very early stages and left years before the release candidate was even ready to be burned to discs?

If anyone company is "the creator of stalker" out there, it's Vostok or 4A.

This whole mess caused me to reinstall Metro Last Light. God that game is good, even if it is linear.

Aha, thank you for mentioning Metro: Last Light! Reminded me that somehow I never finished the Metro 2033 novel. The Steam page says Metro: Last Light owners can download a free copy of Dmitry Glukhovsky's international best-selling novel "Metro 2033", the epic story that started it all. Don't know if the "?cc=us" trick lets you add the book to your account if you're not in the correct region, though.

Hmm, now that I think of it, never started Metro: Last Light either. Curse the endless steam sales, keep buying new games before I can finish the old ones...

News Comments > Styx: Master of Shadows Website & Trailer
4. Re: Styx: Master of Shadows Website & Trailer Jul 20, 2014, 07:34 fiftykyu

Come sail away indeed! Guess this is one of those "gee I feel old" news items, since this is not the Styx I was expecting...  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
13. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 8, 2014, 19:01 fiftykyu

jdreyer wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 15:19:
fiftykyu wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 19:48:
At the risk of sounding too corny, I think anyone who can convince kids to read books is doing something special.

Although this probably isn't the best place to make the comparison, talk to some young people and you won't have any trouble differentiating between those who love to read and those who love to, umm, play video games...

My kids love to do both, and get addicted to both in very similar ways. There's very little difference when it's time to do something and I have to pull a book or pull a tablet or controller out of their hands.

I've loved games and books for as far back as I can remember. I think reading is one of those fun activities that provides unexpected benefits. Apologies for generalising, but one difference I've noticed between insatiable readers and those who only read when it's required is the ability to communicate effectively, i.e. a bigger vocabulary, the ability to explain what they are thinking, have a conversation, and convince you that you're all wrong about something.

And as much as I enjoy reading, I think it's difficult to beat the interactive experience of making things happen on a computer, especially when you're young and everyone else is making decisions for you.

Don't know if programming is taught in schools any more, so probably things like Minecraft would work just as well. When the light bulb goes off, and you realise you don't have to be a passive consumer of "computer stuff" - you have an idea, you can make it happen, it's magic.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 7, 2014, 19:48 fiftykyu

At the risk of sounding too corny, I think anyone who can convince kids to read books is doing something special.

Although this probably isn't the best place to make the comparison, talk to some young people and you won't have any trouble differentiating between those who love to read and those who love to, umm, play video games...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2014, 19:30 fiftykyu

Ok, heard too many good things from everyone, finally broke down and bought Divinity: Original Sin. Don't remember any of the older games, so either I never played them or it was so long ago I forgot. Hope no previous knowledge is necessary to enjoy this one!  

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D
15. Re: Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D Jul 7, 2014, 16:45 fiftykyu

Used to play a lot of the roguelike games like Moria, Angband, Nethack, ADOM etc. so I'm not afraid of ASCII or user-hostile interfaces, but somehow I could never get into Dwarf Fortress. If I can forget my Steam backlog long enough it might be worth giving this another try...  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 6, 2014, 13:11 fiftykyu

Couldn't resist getting this, the Might & Magic series was never my favourite but nostalgia wins out over common sense, again...

I guess people who actually want to play the old stuff would buy the Might & Magic I-VI pack from gog but looking at things in your steam library and reminiscing is probably more fun than playing sometimes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
53. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 21:21 fiftykyu

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:26:
@ 50Kyu:

You've got some gems in there:
- Brothers (must have a controller. don't play with kbd / mouse)
- Gone Home
- Gunpoint
- Rogue Legacy
- BG2 (you knew that already)
- Torchlight 2
- Mass Effect

Also, I heard AC4 is great, but haven't played it. And I had a blast with Bulletstorm, although I know there are others who don't like it.

Ok, just finished Gone Home, wow! Short game, but great. Now I'm wondering what other little treasures I may have picked up in previous sales and promptly forgot about...

52. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 15:38 fiftykyu

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 11:13:
Will wait on Baldur's Gate II until after I finish the Steam Baldur's Gate - hopefully I still remember how to play. I find it's tricky to jump back into RPGs - can't remember what I was doing or how to do it.

BG2 was my first hardcore D+D experience, and I knew nothing about THAC0, etc...totally hairpulling experience, trying to figure out WTF was going on. Still an awesome game, and I don't regret it...

Never played much D&D in real life, but have always loved the computer RPGs like Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's Tale, the SSI "Gold Box" games, plus all the dozens I've forgotten. Wouldn't have the patience to draw maps on graph paper today, but it sure seemed fun at the time.

I remember getting out of work early to pick up my Baldur's Gate preorder, and when I got to the store the price had been raised $5. The guy working there gave some kind of smug comment like "You know you'll buy it anyway" and he was right, but he didn't have to sound so happy about it.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 08:46 fiftykyu

jdreyer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 18:26:
@ 50Kyu:

You've got some gems in there:
- Brothers (must have a controller. don't play with kbd / mouse)
- Gone Home
- Gunpoint
- Rogue Legacy
- BG2 (you knew that already)
- Torchlight 2
- Mass Effect

Also, I heard AC4 is great, but haven't played it. And I had a blast with Bulletstorm, although I know there are others who don't like it.

Already have a controller, couldn't play stuff like Dark Souls without it!

Haven't played more than a few hours in any of the previous Assassin's Creed games, but everyone's said how much fun the pirate ship stuff is so I should probably take a look at some point.

Will wait on Baldur's Gate II until after I finish the Steam Baldur's Gate - hopefully I still remember how to play. I find it's tricky to jump back into RPGs - can't remember what I was doing or how to do it.

Suspect I'd have the same problem with Mass Effect, so maybe I should try some new games instead of replaying old ones.

Looked around in the Secret World for a while, the hunting for hidden stuff sounded interesting but it also felt like I'd played the game before - guess MMOs will always feel like MMOs...

Gone Home doesn't sound like one I've played before, will give that a try next. Thank you for the suggestions!

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 18:14 fiftykyu

Ahh, the Steam sale. Apologies for the spam incoming...

Looks like I got around 150 games, most of which were random cheap things I'll never play. Think the only wishlist game was Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and remembering how long it took the first time I'll probably never play the Steam version.

Also, I got busy and didn't buy all the games I'd been saving for the last day, so it could have been worse. Guess my biggest regrets were missing the Russian store price mistake for Valiant Hearts: The Great War and forgetting to buy Barbie Dreamhouse Party at the 50% discount.

Wonder if I managed to buy a few good ones by accident:

688(I) Hunter-Killer

Adam's Venture Episode 1: The Search For The Lost Garden | Adam's Venture Episode 2: Solomon's Secret | Adam's Venture Episode 3: Revelations | Afterfall Insanity - Dirty Arena Edition | Agarest: Generations of War | Agarest: Generations of War Zero | Age of Booty | Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten Expansion | Assassinís Creed IV Black Flag | AudioSurf

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition | BattleBlock Theater | Betrayer | BIT.TRIP FLUX | Blast Em! | Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons | Bullet Candy | Bulletstorm

Castle Crashers | Cave, The | Cloudbuilt | Coma:Mortuary (Episode 1) | Conflict Desert Storm | Critical Mass

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! | Dark Void Zero | Darkstar One | Dead Hungry Diner | Defy Gravity Extended | Delver | Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition | Devil May Cry 4 | Diamond Dan | Diehard Dungeon | Dimensity

Eador: Genesis | EDGE | Egyptian Prophecy, The: The Fate of Ramses | El Matador | Elven Legacy | Elven Legacy: Magic | Elven Legacy: Ranger | Elven Legacy: Siege

Fairy Tale About Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya | Fleet Command | Flight of the Icarus | Flock! | Foosball - Street Edition

God Mode | Gone Home | Grand Ages: Rome GOLD | Great Art Race, The | GundeadliGne | Gundemonium Recollection | Gunpoint

Halo: Spartan Assault | Hard Truck Apocalypse: Arcade / Ex Machina: Arcade | Hazen: The Dark Whispers | Hitogata Happa | How to Survive

Imperial Glory | Ironclads: American Civil War | Ironclads: Anglo Russian War 1866 | Ironclads: Chincha Islands War 1866 | Ironclads: High Seas | Ironclads: Schleswig War 1864

Konung 2 | Konung 3: Ties of the Dynasty

Maelstrom: The Battle for Earth Begins | Magical Drop V | Mars: War Logs | Mass Effect | Millie

Nether | Next BIG Thing, The | Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals | Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy

One Way Heroics | Outlast

Pandemonium | Papers, Please | Patrician III | PAYDAY 2 | Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 | Political Machine 2012, The | Praetorians | Puzzle Quest: Galactrix | Puzzler World 2

QUALIA 3: Multi Agent

Rabbit Hole 3D: Steam Edition | RC Cars | Receiver | Risk of Rain | Rogue Legacy | Roller Coaster Rampage | Runaway, A Road Adventure | Runaway, The Dream of The Turtle | Runaway: A Twist of Fate | RUSH

Scary Girl | Scoregasm | Secret World: Massive Edition, The | Shatter: Soundtrack Edition | SlamIt Pinball Big Score | Soundodger+ | Spelunky | SPORE | SPORE Creepy & Cute Parts Pack | SPORE Galactic Adventures | STORM: Frontline Nation | Sub Command | Super Amazing Wagon Adventure | Super House of Dead Ninjas | Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe | Syberia | Syberia II

Talisman: Prologue | Testament of Sherlock Holmes, The | Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum | Tex Murphy: Mean Streets | Tex Murphy: Overseer | Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive | Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon | They Bleed Pixels | Time of Shadows | Tiny Brains | Tiny Troopers | Titanfall - The Final Hours | Tomb Raider I | Tomb Raider II | Tomb Raider III | Tomb Raider IV | Tomb Raider V | Tomb Raider VI | Tomb Raider - The Final Hours Digital Book | Torchlight II

UnEpic | Urban Trial Freestyle | US and THEM

Vangers

Warrior Kings | Worms

Yesterday

Zen of Sudoku | Ziro

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 14:37 fiftykyu

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 13:39:
Ima throw this here:

Steam sale (Saturday):

Wolfentein - $30! Very fun game!

Also, Shadowrun for $3.74, BG2 Advanced for $6.74, Goat Sim for $6, and even Thief for $15, if you're high on drugs.

Knock yourselves out!

The new Wolfenstein game sounds fun, but by the time I remember to play it will probably be selling for $30 non-sale price. Couldn't resist (re)buying Baldur's Gate II, though...

These big Steam sales are murder on hopeless game accumulators. Trying not to think about at all the terrible games I bought simply because they were so cheap...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Valiant Hearts: the Great War
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Valiant Hearts: the Great War Jun 25, 2014, 20:35 fiftykyu

Sounds like we all missed a crazy price mistake, this game was temporarily 6.99 RUB in the Russian steam store, or about (google google...) $0.20 USD. So ask around if you have any Russian steam friends, maybe they bought some extras to trade.

Best price goof I got was Sleeping Dogs in the Winter sale last year, and I forgot to finish it. Lot of fun for $4... Sadly didn't get the cheap old Tomb Raider games, thought the goof price was not a goof and when I looked back later it was fixed.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2014, 15:38 fiftykyu

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 13:23:
Wasteland 2 early access up as a $40 buy on the Steam Sale. Not sure how I feel about that. It's only going to cost $40 when it's done, right? $30?

Looks like Wasteland 2 is currently $20 USD in the RU+CIS store, if you have a Steam friend who could gift you a copy from there. Already blew my sale budget for this week, trying not to grab anything else but it's very difficult...

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
72. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 20, 2014, 17:27 fiftykyu

Trying not to think about how many foolish purchases I've made so far. Wow, look at the great deal on something I'll never play...

Didn't get any of the big stuff, but a ridiculous number of cheap games found their way into my steam library. Somehow was able to avoid buying all of them, but it wasn't easy...

Good luck to everyone else!

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 9
7. Re: SLI Jun 16, 2014, 08:48 fiftykyu

Ant wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 08:11:
Beelzebud wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 03:11:
I love how one of the items in the "PC gaming hardware that mattered the most at E3" is an nvidia PC with SLI cards installed, painted in a Titanfall theme. Titanfall. A game that 3 months after launch still doesn't have proper SLI support.
Does SLI ever work? I always seem to read that it is never working or something. I never had more that one video cards in my boxes.

Don't know anything about Titanfall specifically, but yes SLI does work. It doesn't work for all games, and even when it does work, the scaling isn't perfect (i.e. you don't get 2x the performance of a single card.)

Sometimes there's not an official SLI profile for your game, so you have to experiment or search forums for the proper numbers to choose in "Nvidia Inspector" - Dark Souls II was like this. Sometimes there are no proper numbers, and the game just doesn't benefit from SLI at all - Dark Souls was like this.

I'm still using two 580 cards from hmm, three years ago. If I were playing shiny new games with everything turned to 11 I'd be looking for a replacement. One current card would probably be faster, quieter, and use less power, but they still work so for now I'm sticking with the cheaper option of not replacing them.

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
7. Re: Summer Sales Jun 13, 2014, 22:30 fiftykyu

Acleacius wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 22:07:
jimnms wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:55:
....Steam's starts next week...
I might have missed the announcement this year but Steam Summer sales start around July 10-12 normally. Last year for example it was "Steam Summer Sale july 11 to July 20".

Don't know if it's true of course, but Eurogamer say it begins the 19th of this month. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

91 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo